Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Sacred Ceremony (Phenom & ScarlettFever)

"You did?" Sibi replied, eyes mirroring the mischief he found in her own gaze, allowing himself to pressed back against the sheets. "It sounds like the Arabian prince had a wonderful life then if he had women of similar beauty to your own feeding him. You may feed me grapes, my woman."

He traced fingers along the swell of her hips, trailing the finger up her back to curl in her hair. "Have you been pleased with your experience with your experience so far? You have become a woman and soon you will find yourself propositioned with offers of marriage. How will you ever decide on who to choose?"

He gripped her hips and lifted her, sliding her until she rested atop him once more, his arms circling her in a warm, snug prison of flesh. He leaned in to press his lips against hers, deepening the kiss until his tongue slipped between her lips, seeking hers, wrestling with it and trying to pin it against a corner of her mouth. His fingers curled in her dark hair, pulling her closer until it felt as if he had sucked the very air out of her body. He relaxed his hold to reach for another one of the grapes, placing it against her lips and slipping it inside with his finger, pulling gently against her bottom lip as he withdrew. He lifted another fruit from another tray, a strawberry and trailed the small leaves over her nipples, twirling it in his finger so that the leaves consistently brushed across the sensitive nub before shifting over to provide the other with similar attention.

An idea dawned in his mind and he spun them so that she lay beneath him once more. He intertwined his fingers with hers and slowly lifted them above her head to full extension, pinning them both with the gentle pressure of his left hand against the space just below the wrist. His right reached for the cup of wine, lifting it and pulling it to him. He took a sip for courage before gently pouring a little of the red liquid against her lips so that she could memorize the flavor before he slowly poured the wine down her middle, pouring generous amounts over her breasts before continuing down to between her thighs. He replaced the wine, now half-empty, next to the trays of fruit. He leaned forward and placed a kiss against her lips before slowly licking the red liquid from her flesh, twirling his tongue over each nipple before slowly sliding his tongue down her belly to where more of the liquid pooled. He slowly licked, sipped and sucked until the puddle ran dry and then continued south once more, nudging her thighs apart with his elbows before licking at the mixture of liquids and her own juices.

He gently bit the sensitive nub before glancing up at her, eyes smoldering with lust as he whispered a simple command. "Be still, my woman."

Then he began his work once more. His tongue darted out to lick at the inside of her womanhood while he dipped his thumb in the wine and slowly circled it over her clit, beginning with slow circles and slowly picking up speed. He wanted to make the young woman pinned beneath him squirm in pleasure, wanted to hear her cries and moans of passion once more. He wanted to make this memory as grand as possible. He removed his tongue and eased a finger in, thrusting slowly. He did this for a time before slipping a second finger in and curling them on each withdrawal. He nipped and nibbled along the inside of each thigh while his fingers worked to bring her once more to her climax.

Last edited:
"You did?" Sibi replied, eyes mirroring the mischief he found in her own gaze, allowing himself to pressed back against the sheets. "It sounds like the Arabian prince had a wonderful life then if he women of similar beauty to your own feeding him. You may feed me grapes, my woman."

The girl's smile momentarily faltered when he mentioned beauty, her insecurities shooting to the surface from years of conditioning at the hand and voice of her sister. However, she tamped them down, reminding herself of this man's repeated kindness and generosity. knowing that his words were meant to compliment even if they were not completely sincere. She lowered the bundle of grapes until she saw him snag of the fruits in his teeth, and she raised them, repeating the action as she slid gentle fingers into his dark hair, gently stroking it away from his brow.

She felt him trace the swell of her hips with his fingers before moving upward and into her own dark tresses. "Have you been pleased with your experience so far? You have become a woman and soon you will find yourself propositioned with the offers of marriage. How will you ever decide on who to choose?"

Ishtar blushed at his words, but she looked into his eyes as she replied, "This has been...more...that anything I could have fathomed; everything with you was wonderful," she finished, and she leaned down to press a soft kiss on his brow. Tossed the stems from the bunch of grapes onto the tray and returned to recline on her elbow, looking down at him as she resumed stroking his hair from his brow.

"Marriage...," she sighed, not meeting his eyes this time, her gaze wandering to the side and staring at the wall, as though staring into a divining glass as she foretold the future. Her daydream from before leapt into her mind, but she squelched it, not allowing herself to give in to the fantasy. "My father will make the announcement that I am available when I return, but I probably will not have many offers. The young men in the village have never noticed me," she explained matter of factly. She didn't wish to tell him of her humiliation at having waited at the temple for 14 days before he invited her to the ceremony. It was too embarrassing. However, she did not regret it since her warrior was was her partner. She smiled a dreamy smile as she thought about their time together, but then his question encroached, and she wore a visage of seriousness once again.

"I might not have to make such a decision, though. I overheard my father tell my mother that a farmer whose land borders ours asked when I would be marriageable. If not one else is interested, my father will betrothed me to him," she paused in her telling, her smooth forehead furrowing at the thought. "He is a widower who wants sons. His wife, may the gods preserve her soul, gave him five daughters and no sons. His second daughter is my best friend, and she once told me that he always talks about finding a wife to care for the younger children and to give him a son." A lump formed in the girl's throat at the thought of marrying a man so much older than her who wanted her only to care for his children and to give him a son. She prayed to Aphrodite for mercy, to send her a husband who cared about her.

Ishtar was pulled from her musings when the warrior gripped her hips and pulled her onto top of him, his arms wrapping around her tightly. His kiss pushed away the worrisome thoughts, and when his tongue sought entrance, she could not deny him. Their tongues wrestled, and a laughing giggle escaped her as he tried to dominate hers, pinning it against the corner of her mouth. Her heart thundered in her chest, and excitement simmered in her veins as he slid his fingers in her hair, pulling her closer and deeper into the kiss until she was breathless and her head spun.

Still heady from the kiss, she obediently took the grape he placed at her lips into her mouth with his finger, sucking on both until he pulled at her full bottom lip. Her eyes filled with fire as he brought a strawberry to her nipples, and she shivered as they pebbled, hardening against into little points. Suddenly, she was on her back against the bed, his larger frame cocooning from the outside world. Their fingers intertwined as she gazed into his eyes, and she felt a familiar fire low in her belly and a quiver in her womanhood as he lifted her hands above her head, pinning them there. He sipped from the wine goblet and then poured some of onto her lips. She tasted the sweet juice at her lips and then gasped when he poured some of the liquid down her middle, coating her breasts and between thighs. Her breath came out in short bursts as arousal seeped from her womanhood.

She breathed deeply as he kissed and licked her lips, drinking the wine from her flesh and teasing her nipples. Soft sighs and gasps issued from her lips as he continued down her body, licking, sipping, and sucking until he was between her thighs, nudging them apart and licking the wine there. When he bit her sensitive nub, she whimpered, her hips bucking in pleasured surprise, but he looked into her face and ordered, "Be still, my woman."

Heart beating out a rhythmic thunder, as he continued, his tongue and thumb teasing and torturing her womanhood with sensual pleasure. Trembling, she grasped the sheets in her hand once again, but when he slid a finger into her aching pussy, she mewled in delight, her hips thrusting against his hand as his finger jettied back and forth within her. Just when she thought she'd burst from the onslaught of sensation, she felt him slip a second finger into her silken chamber, and her muscles clenched, wrapping tightly around them. She moaned as he thrust his fingers into her, curling them on each withdrawal while he bit and licked her inner thighs. Panting, Ishtar's body moved with his hand, and it took all of her willpower not to give into the sensations that threatened to overwhelm her.

"P...p...please, my warrior," she stuttered as her body pushed toward release, "...let me feel you inside of me again."

The cries and mewls of pleasure his vixen emitted had quickly brought him back to full rigidity. Yet, he ignored her cries for him to bury himself inside of her once more. "It is not yet time, you have not found your own release yet. I promised myself you two for every one of my own."

He buried his head back between her thighs, applying more pressure against her wrists while his other hand cupped a breast, teasing the nipple with his palm as he continued his delicate work with her wet core. He teased his teeth up the inside of her left thigh starting just below the knee and then switched to the other, repeating the action. He was going to make his woman scream in pleasure, he desired her to be a quivering mess of soft limbs and sated desire.

"You make the most exquisite sounds," He teased nipping her lower belly as he trailed kisses up her abdomen before taking her right nipple in his mouth and swirling his tongue over the sensitive nub before switching his attentions to the other, repeating them. "You want to let go, I can feel it. You hover on the brink, fighting against the impending release. Give in, allow yourself the pleasure I freely offer you. Let Aphrodite hear your cries of pleasure echo through the temple. Let others wish they were here in your stead. Let them crave your pleasure, wish for just such a release."

He inserted a third finger and quickened the pace again, whispering a tease of a promise against jer ear. "The sooner you find your release the sooner you can have me again."

His uttered promise of giving her two releases for every one of his made her heart race faster, and she undulated under his hand, gasping, panting for release.

"Let Aphrodite hear your cries of pleasure echo through the temple. Let others wish they were here in your stead. Let them crave your pleasure, wish for just such a release." He inserted a third finger and quickened the pace again, whispering a tease of a promise against her ear. "The sooner you find your release the sooner you can have me again."

His words were like molten lava on her soul, hot and burning, pulling her deeper under his spell. Her pussy spasmed, and she felt herself sore as stars burst behind her eyes and she was swept in a fiery explosion. Her voice cried out her rapture, its melody bursting through the temple halls and into every crevice the rooms. She felt at once the goddess's approval, and she poured a sweet release onto her lover's tongue, as she trembled, falling to the earth in a cascade of smoldering ash and ecstasy.

Barely able to breathe, she asked, dumbfounded, "Is it always like this?"

"That's my girl," he teased, licking up more of her sweet nectar before sliding a finger through the same juices and rubbing it over her nipples. "I do not know. The only other times I have been with a woman, I was awkward and all hands."

He leans down to lick her juices from the sensitive nubs, swirling his tongue around it and then biting gently down on it with his teeth. "I have felt a desire to bring you great pleasure though. I guess Aphrodite knows that I need balance and saw to giving me the depth of love to balance my warrior side. I can only do my best to bring you pleasure and hope that we may run into each other again so that we may once again embrace."

"Your sounds have stirred something within me." He teases, running his fingers over her sweat-soaked skin, admiring the curves when he notices her scar, idly tracing the outline of it. "What is the origin of this scar, the only mark upon your beautiful skin?"

Ishtar smiled up at her warrior when he spoke his humble words, doubting sincerely that he was awkward with the other women he'd bedded. She didn't contradict him, though, and when he said he hoped that they would see each other again so they could embrace, her tender heart skipped, and emotion welled in her throat and eyes. She shivered as he rubbed her essence on her nipples, licking them, and a soft whimper escaped when he bit her aching nipple.

"Your sounds have stirred something within me," he teased, running his fingers over her sweat-soaked skin, admiring the curves when he traced the outline of the scar beneath her left breast. "What is the origin of this scar, the only mark upon your beautiful skin?"

The girl's smile wavered, and emotion filled her husky voice as she explained, "It was three summers ago when the the Elamites began to invade our country, they attempted to annex my village with the others they stole. I was at the river to do the washing because my mother was taking care of my little brother who was unwell." Ishtar did not mention that her sister had refused to help her, instead meeting a couple of local boys beneath the olive trees to flirt with them. "My twin brother, Ea, was fishing in another stream not far away, when we heard screaming and the sounds of battle. Terrified, I dropped the garment I was washing and was going to run to our house, when three Elamite soldiers grabbed me."

She paused in her story, taking a deep breath as she relived the terror of their massive hands grabbing her thin arms and legs, one of them yanking the collar of her robe and rending it down the middle. Her voice softened and became deathlike as she continued, "They...were hurting me, two of them holding me to the ground while the third one tore my robes. He grabbed my shift, but before he could pull it from me, Ea came running with the machete he always carried with him." She swallowed, her lips trembling, and explained, "Ea attacked the man undressing me first, hacking at him with the machete. The man was a trained soldier, though, and he deflected one of the blows, and it struck me here," she said, motioning to the half-moon slice beneath her breast. "The other two released me to help their mate, but Ea didn't stop fighting until he breathed his last breath," she said, her story ending on a sob. Tears trickled down her cheeks, and she closed her eyes tightly. "He was my best friend. We had never been apart before, and each day feels like part of me is missing."

Ishtar lay quiet for a moment, her mind sifting through a slideshow of memories of her twin, and then she said softly, "The men of the village were able to hold the Elamites back until our Babylonian soldiers arrived, and our warriors drove the invaders out of the area." She licked her lips, her voice thick with tears, "When Ea died, I couldn't move. I ran to him and hurled insults and curses upon his killers. They grabbed me again, but by this time, my father had heard my cries and arrived with other men from the village."

Running her delicate hand through her hair, the young woman looked at his hand caressing her scar, her own fingers joining his to touch the puckered flesh. "This scar is precious to me. Although others would see it as ugly or a mar, it was the final gift my Ea gave to me, a symbol that he would die fo me," she finished, heedless of the tears streaming down her face. "It is my most precious possession."

Last edited:
Sibi listened to her story in passive silence, the least he could do as the young woman poured her heart out to him. He could hear the tears before he saw them, the story obviously still very raw and fresh in her mind. His fingers continued to lightly trace the scar though they had become far more sensitive to the puckered flesh. The story had him furious and wishing he had been there to protect her, protect what was his. He knew those kinds of thoughts were dangerous in the temple, most girls were there because they had to be. They had to give their maidenhead in the temple to the first man who came calling so that they would be considered eligible for marriage.

"Your brother was brave," He soothed, his thumb reaching up to brush away the tears there, his lips following after to catch the ones his finger could not. "You are brave. To stand against not one, not two but three soldiers is a feat rare among women. Not saying that it is impossible for them to escape such a situation or come away near-unscathed. You are brave, you have spirit of a warrior if not the body."

He kissed along her chin and down her throat before sliding on top of her, nudging her knees apart. "I have brought old, painful memories to the surface. I will not chase them away, instead I will show you that not all of the world is cruel or devoid of life. I will show you what only a man who cares can, I will make love to you. I have shown you the power of touch, the power of sensation, I have brought you to release; but, I have not shown you the greatest gift of all."

"Now," He lined his cock up with her womanhood, rubbing his cock against her folds to wet her with the precum dribbling from the tip, slowly easing inside of her. "I will show you how a lover makes love to one he cares for."

He quit talking then, instead letting his actions convey what the human language never could. He was not fast or slow, instead settling into a rhythm that pleased them both, his cock brushing against the sensitive spots he had discovered through their last couple, nudging them occasionally with a shift of his hips during a thrust or when he slowly pulled himself out. His lips sought hers, kissing her firmly on the lips, his hands finding hers and intertwining before raising them above her head to indicate he wanted them to stay there before sliding them down her ribs and hips to slip under her thighs and lift to wrap them firmly around him, urging her to pull him tighter against her. His tongue darted out to taste her lips, teasing over them before probing, seeking entry once more, slowly intertwining and wrestling with hers, not as insistent this time though, more of a controlled motion that left them both breathless and panting when he pulled back, flashing her a smile and eyes hooded with lust. He willed her to understand the myriad of emotions rolling through his body in that moment, to experience what he wanted to say and could not. He could not turn back the clock; but, he could show her that she would never have to worry about the strength of her protector.

He could never be her brother, no. But he could be her lover and warrior.

Her warrior's kind words about Ea soothed the girl's spirit, and she sighed as he kissed along her chin and throat and gently spread her legs.

"Now," He lined his cock up with her womanhood, rubbing his cock against her folds to wet her with the precum dribbling from the tip, slowly easing inside of her. "I will show you how a lover makes love to one he cares for."

Ishtar's inhaled sharply as her warrior slid into her slick folds, this time not stopping until he could go no farther. She slid her hands over his shoulders, caressing his heated skin, gasping as he brushed her sensitive spots, crafting surges of delight that trembled through her body. She willingly accepted his kiss, her lips parting to accept his tongue as their fingers intertwined, and he raised her arms above her head. Her pussy throbbed at this action, his gentle dominance, and goosebumps rose on her flesh as he trailed his hands down her ribs and hips until he lifted her thighs. She gasped against his lips when he pulled her legs to wrap around his hips, and she locked her ankles behind his back, feeling his cock sink deeper inside of her, so deep that couldn't breath for a moment. He pulled away from their kiss, gazing into her eyes with heated desire, and then he captured her lips once again, taking and ravaging her mouth as surely as he ravaged her heart.

Together, they found a rhythm as old as time and as sacred as the temple, and for each of his hips' thrusts, hers parried, and they danced the mating dance of love. Soft whispers and gentle sighs, excited gasps and aching murmurs fluttered around them, and Ishtar knew that no matter what life had in store for her, she would never forget her warrior, her lover.

Last edited:
He gasped against her ear as he felt her respond to his wishes, her thighs curling around his hips and her ankles locking, pulling him closer and thrusting him deeper inside her warm, wet folds. Their warm dance and passionate cries echoed through the chambers of the temple long after the last candle had burned out and the town had fallen silent. The priests had come to check once more, curious about this rare occurrence; but, the sounds of grunts, of heated passion, of bodies colliding had them smiling and whispering blessings upon Aphrodite as they retreated to their own beds to draw inspiration from the young couple. It was several hours later, just before the early dawn, when he finally collapsed, spent, beside her. He pulled her tight against his chest then, fingers curling in her dark hair and his chin atop her head as he slept. It was a peaceful, dreamless sleep of physical exhaustion.

The faint rays of early dawn slowly crept in through the temple windows, shining upon the sleeping couple. Sibi yawned and leaned down to kiss the woman who had stolen a piece of him on the lips, his fingers running slowly through her dark locks, before disentangling himself from her warm embrace despite wanting nothing more than to burrow deeper against her warmth. He began to slowly don his clothing, his gaze never leaving the woman slumbering there. Fully clothed once more, he slid back in against her, wrapping her in his arms and inhaling deeply of her scent.

"It's time to awaken, my lover." He teased, running his teeth over her earlobe. "The priests will come soon."

She awoke to the gentle tease of her warrior's teeth against her earlobe, his voice sending shivers down her spine. When his words sunk in, however, a sudden sinking feeling lodged in her stomach, and she burrowed into his embrace, only to wince and draw away when her naked skin touched his cool armor. Heat rushed to her cheeks that she'd slept while he dressed, and she sat up, tugging a sheet around her naked body.

The sun's golden glow of morning seeped beneath the door, and she saw the gutted candles had burned out. She bit her bottom lip, the outside world finally encroaching on her mind. "My uncle and aunt will be worried that I did not return last night," she said, quickly standing. She held the sheet with her chin pressed against her upper chest as she attempted modesty while she dressed, but her shift became tangled with the sheet as she struggled, her hands shaking.

Ishtar knew that her behavior was odd, realized that her morning modesty was illogical after the warrior had explored her body so thoroughly, but her heart felt tender this morning, and she wanted to protect it. Despite her fantasy yesterday, she knew that she would never see this man again, and she needed to remember that.

With her thin cotton shift on, she dropped the sheet and turned her back to him, her long, ebony hair cascading down her back in wavy tendrils. She picked up her robe and wrapped it around her body, fastening the ties carefully as she did so. Sitting on the edge of the bed, she slid her feet into her sandals, but her hands trembled so much she had difficulty buckling them, and she blinked back tears from her eyes.

The pain of seeing her anguish as reality closed in was almost more than the warrior of a hundred battles could bear. He had seen brothers injured and die gruesome deaths, they all had caused anguish of some form; but, watching her slowly close in on herself, the woman he had made love to the night before closing in on herself as if she couldn't bear to go back to how things were. He watched the beautiful skin and soft curves be covered by the blanket as if embarrassed to be seen in the nude by him. That stung, a ache beginning in his heart. He watched her pull on her thin, cotton shift and turned her back to him, the hair he had learned every inch of hanging down her back. He watched as more of the naked flesh became covered as she pulled her robe on again. He began to walk towards her, quickly closing the distance when the tears began to fall.

"Shh," He soothed, reaching to grab her hands in his and slowly encourage her to her feet before enveloping her in a strong embrace. "This is not the end of our story, my woman. It is merely the end of a page, a chapter, no more. I will find you again and I will have you as my own. Not even the stars or the gods above could prevent me from having you."

He rubbed her back, the thumbs of his other hand brushing the tears from her eyes before he pressed his lips firmly to hers. He did through action what words could not. He poured every ounce of emotion, pain, anguish and under all of that, the deepening of the strong emotion he felt connecting the two of them - love. His hands busied themselves in her hair, sliding along her body and then down her ribs to cup her ass and squeeze gently. He did everything he could to memorize her body, her taste and her smell. He would not forget this woman and he would find her.

He pulled away, the air searing his lungs with each inhale. "I will find you. I will make you mine and we will be together, always."

Last edited:
Feeling foolish for becoming so emotional in front of him, she turned so that her back was to him as she sat, and she hurried to brush away her tears. And then she felt his strong, calloused hands grasping hers, and he brought her to her feet, pulling her into his tight embrace.

"Shh," he soothed, and she let herself relax into his arms, leaning her head on his chest and swallowing her tears. "This is not the end of our story, my woman. It merely the end of a page, a chapter, no more. I will find you again and I will have you as my own. Not even the stars or the gods above could prevent me from having you."

Before she could respond, her warrior lifted her chin and and wiped the tears from her face before leaning down to kiss her. She understood every emotion he put into that searing kiss as his hands roved her hair and her body, squeezing her bottom through the layers of her clothing, for she felt them, too. Her mouth was hungry as she clung to him, devouring his lips with passionate abandon as she gripped his armor and held him close, wanting to remember every second of their time together.

When their kiss ended, he said, "I will find you. I will make you mine and we will be together, always."

Ishtar gazed into his face, so handsome, so kind, so ... beloved, and she bit her bottom lip to keep from sobbing. Instead, she reached up, cupping his cheek and stroking his jawline, rough with morning stubble, with her gentle fingers. With just a whisper, she spoke, "May it be so, if the goddess allows it."

Tiptoeing, she pressed one last kiss on his lips and then turned, pulling the door open and scurrying out of the temple, her heart breaking as she ran past her warrior's friends who were sleeping on bedrolls beside their horses, obviously waiting for their friend. Onward she ran, past the olive trees grove and up a side path that led to her uncle's home. She slowed to catch her breath, walking toward the house as she readied herself to be met with questions.

"Ishtar!" called her aunt, "is that you?"

"Yes, auntie," she replied, her voice hollow even to her own ears.

The older woman bounded into the room with a cloth between her hands, wiping them as she smiled a beaming smile at her niece. "So, did you perform the ceremony?"

"Yes, auntie," she answered, sighing softly. She reached up to pull her veil from her hair, but her hand stopped. She'd left it and her purse with the two gold coins in the temple chamber.

"The goddess surely must," He assured her, brushing a stray lock of dark hair behind her ear. "She granted us one to consummate our love, to open our eyes to what could be, now we must take her gift and bring it round full circle, consummating our love for one another as husband and wife."

He felt her lips once more and knew that this was the last time for now. He watched her go, a piece of him trailing after her on the wake of her passing. He turned to the bed to see her veil and the two coins he had placed upon her palm. He lifted the coins and bit into each one until there was a small indent of his teeth, clearly marking them, before returning them to his pouch. He would make sure she received her dowry, regardless of whether she would have him or not. The veil he lifted more carefully, slowly raising the sensitive fabric to his face, the smell of her so strong that he inhaled reflexively. This, he mused. I will keep next to my heart, my woman.

He tucked the veil into the breastplate of his armor and exited through the doors that remained cracked, walking over to where his friends lay slumbering on their bedrolls, the horses grazing, hitched, nearby. He kicked the shoe of the first man and he grunted, reaching for his sword as he came awake until he felt the sharp prick of Sibi's blade upon his breast and he raised his gaze slowly until a smile split his features when he realized who held him at sword-point. The man climbed to his feet with the aide of Sibi's hand and dusted himself off, whistling to wake the other men before stepping forward to shake Sibi's hand and pull him into a strong embrace.

"We had worried that you were dead, brother." His sword-brother muttered, patting the broad back of the larger Sibi. "When we asked of you at the temple, the priests told us you were not to be disturbed that you were still completing the rite with your young woman. They claimed that such was your gift to Aphrodite that she came to them personally and thanked them for such a pairing. We all thought they were full of horse shit; but, still you did not come and so we waited until our eyes could bear the watch no more."

"
Aye brother," Sibi grinned before his gaze grew somber. "I had found something I did not know I had lost."

His friend grinned and clapped him on the shoulder before climbing into the saddle. "Good for you, my brother. Treasure that. Shall we go?"

"Do not worry, brother." He agreed solemnly, placing a hand where the veil brushed against his chest over his heart. "I will treasure it always."

He followed suit and swung athletically into the saddle, gripping the flanks of the horse with his knees as the band turned and began to guide their horses in a slow walk away from the temple and out of the town. His friends ribbed him with jests and chatted excessively about the rare occurrence of an overnight stay that did not see them exit the temple together. Their teasing grew to the point that he turned and glared at them until the rest of the ride was conducted in solitude. His mind, meanwhile, was anything but silent. He was torn on what to do. His impending nuptials were fast approaching and yet, he could not concern himself with that, only of where the true woman of his heart could be.

Ishtar stood from her washing, cracking her back and stretching. The day was clear and bright, and there was a fragrant aroma in the air as the olive trees rained their new buds on the earth. She rolled her shoulders and bent to resume her washing by the stream, her mind lost in a haze of memories. Six months had come and gone, autumn had turned to winter and winter to spring, but still she thought of her warrior every day.

"She granted us one to consummate our love, to open our eyes to what could be, now we must take her gift and bring it round full circle, consummating our love for one another as husband and wife."

His beautiful words were enshrined in her heart and with it a faint hope that one day, they would come true. She struggled with the sheets, bunching them and striking their soggy weight against a stone. The first few weeks after she'd left him at the temple had been the worst. She endured questions from her aunt and uncle, from her parents, her sister and older brothers, but she told them nothing except that the ceremony was complete and she was marriageable. When her father requested the dowry offering, she'd lied and told him she lost it. He was furious, striking her several times until her mother convinced him that she had been punished enough. Her sister, who had been listening, chose that moment to begin her taunts.

"You lied to Abum*," came Bau's cold voice from behind her.

Ishtar stood on wobbly legs, for they had given out when her father had crashed a cruel blow across her face. She ignored her sister's words and touched her lip, her hand coming away with blood. She pulled a cloth from the pocket of her robe and dabbed at her mouth as her sister continued.

"You lied about the coins. Just admit it, little sister," Bau repeated, her tone taunting as though she had a secret.

"I lost them Bau," she replied, but her sister laughed.

"You didn't lose them," she spat out, mocking the younger girl.

Cautious, Ishtar turned to look at her sister's beautiful face and responded, "Are you saying I stole them, Bau? From my father? From myself for my own dowry?"

Green eyes narrowing, Bau stalked toward her, moving so close that Ishtar could smell the scent of almonds that her sister had been roasting on her clothing. "You can't steal what you don't have, little sister. No one paid you to perform the ceremony. Admit it! You're were there for weeks before you returned home. No man wanted to thrust himself into you, to sate himself with your face and your body. You probably asked a temple priest to have mercy on you and perform the ceremony. It's been done before."

Ishtar tightened her lips, dropping her eyes before her sister's cruel gaze. She wouldn't speak of the sacred ceremony so blasphemously. Even if it weren't forbidden, she could never cheapen what she and her warrior shared by speaking of it with such a mean woman.

"That's it, isn't it?" Bau crowed triumphantly when the girl did not respond. "A priest took pity on you, so you received no dowry offering, and you made up this wild story about receiving two gold coins because you were jealous that I was given two silver coins when I went to the temple." Laughter shook the woman's voluptuous body, mirth on her face and hate in her eyes. "It's time to face the facts, Ak*-Ishtar. You are ugly. You are worthless. No man wanted you at the temple, and no man will want to marry you. You will become a burden on our brothers and take care of their children, and you will die old and alone."

Without another word, Bau left the room, and Ishtar slowly walked to the cistern behind the house. She ladled rain water into a small pot and dipped her cloth into the cool liquid before bathing her face. Her tears mingled with the blood on her lips and the water, but she didn't care. She just washed and washed until she was spent, and then she poured the water from the bowl. That night, she wept bitter tears into her pillow as her soul cried out to the gods for help, but her cries seemed to fall on deaf ears, and little by little, her hope began to die.

Three months after her return, Ishtar miscarried, and although Ishtar's mother assured her that she would bear many children, the girl was inconsolable. She knew that any children she bore could not replace the one given to her by her warrior.

Ishtar allowed herself another moment of reverie as she thought about her warrior while she rang out the last of her washing. Placing it all in a clean basket woven out of reeds, she turned and headed back toward the house.

"Ishtar, he's come! He's come!" shouted Sir, her 10-year-old brother, as he ran toward her, arms waving and merriment etched in his sweet little face. He wrapped his arms around her waist and danced around her like a maypole, singing an old song of excitement as he danced.

The girl laughed at the child's silly antics, placing the heavy basket on her left hip while she hugged him with her other arm. "What are you talking about, silly boy?" she asked, ruffling his hair and placing a loving kiss on the top of his head. He was growing so fast that he already reached her upper arm in height. He would soon pass her up.

"The groom has come, Ishtar!" he cried out, "Bau's betrothed has arrived, and Ummu* said they will marry within the month!"

She smiled at the news, nodding as she shooed her brother along so she could hang the wash out to dry. She made her way to the tree surrounded by large stones that her family used to dry their laundry and began spreading out the wash. It was good news that her sister's betrothed had arrived. The soldier had been gone for so long that she was certain he would not wish to wait the full month before he spoke his vows. She pruned the flower of envy that threatened to grow in her heart. At least when Bau married, she would no longer be around to taunt her anymore, she thought.

When she finished, she picked up the basket and placed it in the neat stack outside the house and then entered through the kitchen.

"There you are, Ishtar!" her mother said, fluttering about the kitchen and readying a tray of wine, cheese, and grapes. "Here, take this into the gathering room. Iva is entertaining the groom, and I sent Sir to call your father from the fields. Bau is freshening up to greet her betrothed. She will join you soon."

"Yes, Ummu*," she replied, dutifully lifting the tray and carrying it into the meeting room. She quietly entered and placed it on a low table, pouring wine into small goblets and setting them before her soldier brother and his friend.

"Ah, here are our refreshments and my youngest sister," said Iva, his friendly voice warming the girl. "Ishtar, this is my fellow soldier and friend Sibi. Sibi, meet Ishtar, for she will soon be your sister, too."

The girl smiled softly as she stood and raised her eyes, only to gasp in shock.

*Abum is Babylonian for "father"
*Ak means "weak"
*Ummu means "mother"

MC: Ishtar (meaning: female doves)
Hair: Dark brown, waist length
Eyes: mossy green
Height: 5'0" (average for ancient Babylonian females)
Weight: 110 lbs
Breasts: C cup
Distinguishing physical feature
: scar beneath one breast over her ribcage she sustained when her village was attacked; her twin brother died in the battle
Personality: Gentle and shy, intelligent and honest, generous to a fault, poor self-esteem because of years of being compared to her beautiful older sister
Family: Ishtar is the fourth of six children, and the second of two daughters. Her parents, Aralu (father) and Tashmitum (mother), are hardworking Babylonians, farmers who work long hours to provide for their children. Their children are eldest son Moumis (a recently married farmer), second son Iva (a soldier), eldest daughter Bau (age 20), second daughter Ishtar (age 18), third son Ea (Ishtar's twin, deceased), and youngest son Sir (age 10).

Last edited:
Sibi had thought that war would be the hardest experience in his life. He had thought that after all of the suffering, anguish and pain he had endured on countless battlefields that he had experienced all that there was to the word pain. He had never been so wrong in his life. The months following his time at the temple of Aphrodite with his woman, for she could be called by no other title, had been lackluster and devoid of life. He wandered from one place to another, never staying in one place for long. He was always searching, questing to find the one he knew by no other name but woman. He could vividly recall the description of her body and tell it to anyone who would listen and many would, he was a renowned warrior; but, none would have a clue, a thread that he could follow to find her. The month of his wedding grew closer and hung heavy in his mind, a nagging presence that reminded him that he could not search forever. He had made a marriage proposal and it had been accepted.

It was before.

His mind reminded him that it did not matter. He was an honorable man and he could not back out without explaining why and he could not chase ghosts until the end of his days. He needed to pass his name on, he needed an heir, someone who could continue to carry his legacy into the future. Eventually, he gave up actively trying to find her and took a more 'let fate dictate' approach. Aphrodite had brought them together once, it stood to reason in his mind, she would do so again. He could only hope that he could hold on until then. As fate would have it, another distraction would take center stage as another war loomed on the horizon and his blade was summoned once more.

His time had come.

The weary warrior found himself lounging in the saddle, new scars adorning his chest and arms as he wound his way into the compound. A piece of the veil peeked out from beneath his armor and he lifted it to inhale the lingering scent of her, though it had become tarnished with sweat and his own. His purse had grown much longer, his victory tallies still unbroken and the value of his blade all the more expensive when summoned. He had nearly enough to retire and settle down, perhaps open a shop, a tavern or some other business. He was weary of the world and wanted nothing more than to come home to a warm bed and a woman waiting for him. His horse neighed as the sounds of voices and a house grew in view on the near horizon. He urged his horse to a gallop, leaning over the saddle so that only faint touches of the wind teased his hair and beard, both having grown longer in his time away. He would have to seek permission from the betrothed's father to clean himself and make himself more presentable. There was a rider waiting for him as he drew closer and he raised his hand. One of Bau's brothers, a former war party member, sat waiting.

"Took you long enough," Iva teased, reaching out to clasp forearms. "Father will be most pleased and I'm sure Bau too."

He pushed the veil back out of view, not realizing he had not been discreet about the action and sighed, crossing his arms behind his head as their horses walked side by side. "I have been away for too long, how is my betrothed?"

"She waits for you and flirts with other men."

He chuckled and slapped Iva hard on the back, causing the man to gasp and cough before he flashed a smile. "I would not imagine less of her. She is a beautiful woman, surely she has been chasing other suitors off in my absence?"

The two rode into the home's central area, hopping down from their saddles and hitched them to a post outside. He stretched, his muscles tight from having to sit in the saddle for so long. Taking a deep breath, he stepped inside after Iva and was led to sit in a gathering area, encouraging him to have a seat. Bau's mother appeared and informed him she would fetch Bau and that she would send another of her children in to provide refreshments. The two chatted, catching up on various matters of state and personal matters until there was a noise and Iva was introducing another sibling who lowered a tray of food before them on a low table and filled two goblets with wine. He reached for the goblet and quickly gulped down the contents before wiping away the liquid that had dribbled into his beard.

"Hello Ishtar," He began, raising his eyes and he froze before coughing and continuing awkwardly. "It will be an honor to be your brother."

It cannot be, his brain screamed. She was a figment. A fleeting mirage, one I had given up hope of ever finding and yet here she stands before me, the sibling of my betrothed. Oh, fate, you can be so cruel. He reached for the veil, slipping it out and running his fingers through the soft material as he gazed at her, his eyes burning with a similar passion as the night they had met. He took a deep breath and reached for a piece of cheese, plopping it into his mouth and chewing until he could hide what the others did not know or so he thought.

"Hello Ishtar," he said, and Ishtar's knees began to wobble, joy leaping into her eyes and coloring her cheeks for the first time in months. Just when she'd thought the goddess had forgotten her, she delivered her warrior to her. Oh, praise to Aphrodite! The girl took a step forward, a smile burgeoning on her sweet lips, but when the warrior met her eyes, he choked on his wine, coughing before he continued in an awkward manner, "It will be an honor to be your brother."

Realization is an ugly demon, with his sickle held aloft and ready to destroy in mere seconds, and just as quickly as the flicker of hope roared to a blazing fire, it was snuffed, extinguished, its remnants naught but decaying, gray smoke. The girl lowered her eyes, her face paling, and she stepped back three paces, her head falling in a respectful greeting.

"Welcome," she said in her husky voice, an unnamable emotion in its depths, "my...brother Sibi. Praise the gods for your safe return from battle." She sank to the pillow beside the table and sat, placing an extra wiping cloth nearer his hand so that he could dry the wine he'd spilled on his beard when he coughed.

"My friend, you must be drinking your wine too fast!" laughed Iva, thumping Sibi on the back. "Slow down, brother. There is plenty to spare."

Ishtar saw a faint movement where the warrior sat, and she glanced up only to feel his scorching gaze on her and her veil in his hands as he caressed the soft cloth. Her heart thumped, shocked that he carried it with him, but she dropped her gaze once more, scolding herself. He was her sister's betrothed. She had no claim on him, and he had come for the betrothal time and wedding.

He and Bau had been betrothed years ago.

He had completed the sacred ceremony with her six months ago.

He knew when he spoke those words to her that he was betrothed to another, that they would never come true.

Ishtar felt bile rise in her throat, and her hands shook as she picked up her goblet, the wine sloshing in it. She sipped and placed it back on the table, closing her eye tightly and holding back her tears. By all that is holy, goddess, do not abandon me now. I cannot cry now. I will not show him how much he has hurt me.

---------------------------------------

Iva watched his friend curiously, noting the grimy cloth he pulled out of his clothing. It did not appear to be a handkerchief or a flag...more like a woman's veil. He was about to ask about it but thought better of it since his sister was sitting at the table. Although she was marriageable now, she was still very innocent and did not yet know that much of the world. He smiled at his sister, his favorite of the two, if he were honest, but her face was deathly pale.

"Sister, are you unwell?" he asked, gently touching her arm.

"No brother, just tired from washing laundry in the hot sun," she replied, sipping a little wine from her goblet. "Would you gentlemen please excuse me?" she asked, her eyes lifting to Iva and glancing at Sibi.

"Of course, Ishtar," he replied, standing and pressing a brotherly kiss on her forehead. She had no temperature, so perhaps she really was just tired. "Rest well so that we may enjoy your company at supper."

Offering him a small smile, she left the room, and Iva sighed, shaking his head and taking his seat at the table once again.

"Please excuse my sister's abruptness, my friend," the young man said. "She has had a rough three months, I'm afraid." He shook his head as though casting off gloomy thoughts, and then he lifted his cup in a toast, "Perhaps the wedding celebration is just what she needs to lighten her spirits. To love and marriage and happily ever after, Sibi!"

He drank deeply of his wine but turned when the door opened to his sister Bau standing there, a vision in golds and reds with her blonde hair coiled into an elaborate style atop her head with little tendrils falling down to highlight her angelic beauty. Her bright green eyes sparkled, and her lips--touched with strawberry to redden them--were full and inviting. Iva knew that many men in the village had vied for her, but when he'd introduced Sibi to Bau in the market all those years ago, she had told her brother that his friend was the one she would marry. Sibi obviously felt the same, for her had petitioned their father for her hand in marriage a week later.

"Ah, here is the beautiful bride-to-be," he said, smiling from Bau to Sibi.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ishtar fled not to her room that she shared with her sister but to the olive trees and sat beneath their cooling shade. There, she allowed scalding tears to tumble down her face and sobs to wrack her body. She pulled her knees to her chest and tightly wrapped her arms around them.

"It is not wine that I drink too much of, my sword-brother." He sighed, taking the offered cloth, his hand brushing hers and sending a tingle up his arm, and wiping at the faint drops of liquid drying in his beard. "I was merely surprised, she bears a striking resemblance to someone I once met, I had not expected to see them again and was...startled."

He wanted to express displeasure when the true woman he should be wedding and with, rose and asked to be excused. "Yes, rest and be well, Ishtar. I would hope to see more of you at dinner as well. A rough three months? What has happened?"

"To love and marriage and happily ever after!" He mirrored, raising his goblet in toast though he felt anything but joyous.

Three months? What had happened after she left him in the temple of Aphrodite? Did she come down with something? Perhaps she was with...No! He would not allow his mind to travel down that dark road, to realize that she could have been carrying a spark of life, of their love, within her. She is not showing, it could not be! Unless that is what he refers to, that she miscarried? I must find a way to speak with her, confirm the truth and explain myself. She must think me horrible for performing the rite with her while I am already betrothed; yet, she does not know why! He stewed in his own thoughts, his finger idly tracing the rim of the goblet, half of the wine left untouched inside. He raised his gaze at the announcement of his betrothed's entrance.

He rose to his feet and closed the distance, reaching out for her hands and leaning in to kiss her on the lips before guiding her to sit next to him. "You are a beauty to write a hundred ballads over, my betrothed. I am truly luck man to be gifted with such a woman."

Empty words, he moaned. The real woman I love is running from me now.

Bau. smiled graciously at her brother as he announced her entrance to the room. "Thank you, dearest Iva," she said, her voice musical with a slightly brittle quality to it. She glided to her betrothed and happily noted that he met her in the middle. She reveled in the feel of his rough hands grasping hers and eagerly lifted her lips to his. The kiss ended all too soon, she thought, but she had a lifetime of kisses to share with the handsome soldier.

"You are a beauty to write a hundred ballads over, my betrothed. I am truly a lucky man to be gifted with such a woman," Sibi said, and she feigned shy modesty and she looked up at him from beneath lowered lashes.

"I am gratified that my betrothed should think so," she replied, moving closer to him with practiced grace. She slid one hand up his arm and grasped his bicep, her move possessive. The beauty grazed her breast against his arm and took his hand in hers, a move that she remembered he well enjoyed when she first met him. "Shall we catch up in the gardens? The blooms are already exquisite there," she said, her eyes meeting his as she squeezed his hand, reminding him of the stolen, passionate kisses they had shared there so long ago.

Iva cleared his throat, "You really should wait until Abum returns to greet his returned son. He will want to discuss the wedding preparations."

"And no doubt Sibi wishes to freshen up and rest before dinnertime, my children," intoned Aralu as he entered the room. The family patriarch had seen many winters, but he still stood tall and authoritative in the doorway. He entered the room and gave his elder daughter a look that had her dropping her hand and stepping away from her betrothed, censuring her overly familiar behavior with a man. The older man grasped Sibi's hand and forearm in the traditional greeting and said, "Thank the gods you have returned safely, my son, and may they bless your marriage to come."

"May it be so," agreed Iva and Bau in unison.

"We will discuss formalities after the supper hour, Sibi," Abum decreed. "In the meantime, Iva will show you to his bachelor quarters. You may remain with him until the ceremony is complete." The man turned to Bau, "Daughter, help your umma with dinner preparations. We will feast in celebration of your betrothed's return!"

----------------------------------------

Ishtar awoke some time later to find that the sun had lowered and was casting a soft glow on the world, signaling evening had come. She sat up, rubbing her sleep-filled eyes and brushing dust and grass from her form. She hadn't meant to fall asleep under the olive tree, but her weary spirit had overruled her body that time. The girl stood, shaking out her robe so that she didn't appear to rumpled. She didn't want Bau to accuse her of rolling in the hay with a man from the village as she sometimes did. Even thinking of it burned her cheeks; she'd known no man but her warrior...she paused her thoughts, shaking her head. Sibi was not her warrior. He was her sister's betrothed. A sob threatened to escape, but she swallowed it and resignedly returned to the house, entering again through the back door and slipping into the bedroom.

Thankfully, the room was empty, so the young woman removed her robes and stood in her shift as she bathed her face and hands. She looked at her reflection in the bowl of water, noting the dark circles under her eyes. They'd become familiar companions to her these last months. She pinched her cheeks, but the heightened color offered little assistance. Sighing, she unbound her hair and began combing it, sweet memories of her warrior wrapping his fingers into the dark tresses dancing about her.

The door opened suddenly, and Ishtar jumped back, but it was only Bau entering the shared room. Her sister was truly stunning with her golden locks and perfect complexion. They shared few traits except similar bone structures and the same mossy green eyes.

"Where have been, Ishtar?" Bau asked, her voice critical as she took in her sister's appearance. "Ummu sent me to fetch you for dinner. Have you been whoring yourself in the village again?"

Ishtar sighed, tired of her sister's jeers and taunts, and replied, "You know I do not behave this way, Bau. I am a respectable woman."

Hateful laughter erupted from Bau's perfect lips. "Respectable, perhaps, but a woman? Ha! Barely! You will not be a woman until you feel a lover deep inside you and know that his arms around you are there because he desires you, not because you had to beg him to complete a sacred ceremony with you."

The brunette bit her tongue to remain silent and continued brushing her hair until it shone. She ignored Bau as the older girl stalked around the room and picked up the rumpled robe that Ishtar had shaken out and placed on a nail in the room. Carefully, she braided her hair into a long, thick braid and bound its ends.

"You should wear this, sister, so that everyone sees you wear your uniform."

Ishtar looked at her sister in confusion, "What uniform?"

Bau smiled, her lips thinning sinisterly as she lowered her voice, "Why, your harlot uniform, your badge to tell the world that you are nothing while I am everything. A wise woman accepts her station in life, sister. And you are destined for...," she paused dramatically before tossing the garment into Ishtar's face, "...nothing." Without another word, she sauntered from the room, shutting the door behind her.

The young woman took a deep breath, held it, and then released it. Again, she shook out the robe and hung it on the nail, and then she rummaged through her few other robes and pulled out a simple, soft fabric and wrapped it around herself, fastening it carefully. Her sister's taunts, although hurtful, no longer crippled her. She just bided her time until her sister was married and in her own home. She faltered when she thought of the groom, though, but she steeled herself and joined the others for supper.

Last edited:
"I am glad we are in agreement," Sibi intoned, flinching slightly at her touch and the press of her breast along his arm, hoping no one noticed. "I have been away so long, I was worried that things would surely have changed with you. I am glad that you are well and your beauty has not faded with time. I am only sorry it took me so long to find my way back."

He could remember the times long ago when he would have been content with a woman of Bau's beauty, ignoring her other personality misgivings; but, he had been gifted a taste of heaven and he would settle for no less, present circumstances notwithstanding. He would have voiced his joy at the delay presented by Iva in the wisdom of advising to wait for their father to arrive from the fields so that he could perform his own welcoming.

He nearly leapt for joy inside when their father finally appeared, freeing him from having to give an answer to her request for time alone. "Yes, I would, thank you. I am tired and dirty from the long ride and in great need of a shave. I have not had the tools or instruments to perform such an act while on campaign."

"It is good to see you too, my father." He agreed, stepping forward and returning the man's greeting, clasping forearms and squeezing gently. "May it be so. I eagerly look forward to the discussion, father. I will do as you have asked."

Iva turned to Sibi and motioned for him to follow. Sibi gladly accepted Iva's guidance, his head clouded with fog and unease. He had not expected to run into the girl from the temple here of all places! He had expected to find her, apologize to her and break off his marriage engagement to Bau. When he had not found her, he had thought Aphrodite to have played a cruel trick on him or come to him as a mortal to satisfy her godly cravings. He quickly sent a prayer to Aphrodite for his wrongful assumptions and asking for aide in his upcoming wedding and situation. Sibi was thankful when Iva left him alone in his bachelor chambers, taking the advantage to bathe with the fresh water and trim his beard and hair to something more appropriate, removing some of the savagery from his countenance. Satisfied with his appearance, he settled down to a fitful sleep. He was finally awoken by Iva when the summons for supper were dispatched. He roused himself from bed, dressed in his finest robe and followed Iva back to the main dining area, lowering himself into one of the open seats.

Bau entered the dining room and placed baskets of flat bread and olives around the table, cautious not to overturn her father and Iva's cups of wine or Sir's water. When Sibi entered, she welcomed him with a beaming smile and joined him on the double pillow, sitting with easy grace.

"I trust you feel refreshed, Sibi," she said in a low, seductive voice, leaning closer than necessary on the pillow. "You look quite dashing in your fresh uniform and clean shaven face. Do you remember that evening in the gardens, when your blade brother--oh, what is his name? I cannot recall it--well, one of your blade brothers had too much wine and began to sing and dance about? You pulled me deeper into the gardens so that we could talk without the noise intruding." She licked her lips and leaned close, her hot breath against his skin, and whispered, "We kissed and caressed in the moonlight. You kissed my neck and my breasts, and I would have given myself to you then, but you were a gentleman and said you would ask my father for permission to marry me before we went further." She slid her hand along his thigh as she spoke, gently squeezing, and she continued, "I am ready to go further with you."

"Aren't you to help Ummu serve dinner?" asked Sir, his little boy voice piping up and bouncing around the room as he stared at Bau. Iva and his father stopped talking and turned to look at the young woman who flushed, sparks in her eyes.

"Ummu said I may be relieved of helping in the kitchen this evening since my betrothed has arrived," she replied snippily. "She has Ka-Ishtar to help her." She turned back to her fiancé and moved a little closer, her hand sliding up his thigh even further.

Sir glared at his sister from across the table, glanced at his father to make certain the man was ignoring him, and then stuck his tongue out at Bau.

The young woman sniffed indignantly and scolded, "You're a rude little boy, Sir."

"And you're a mean ol' ugly girl, Bau," he retorted and then popped three large, black olives into his mouth, his cheeks swelling to hold them.

Before Bau could respond, Tashmitum and Ishtar entered, carrying a large bowl of lamb stew made with milk and cakes of grain, skewers of lamb and beets, bowls of lentils and rice, and fresh vegetables cut and seasoned with spices. The women carefully placed the serving trays and bowls on the table and then found seats, Tashmitum beside her husband and Ishtar beside Sir.

---------------------------------------------------------

Ishtar sat beside her little brother and ruffled his hair, chuckling as he looked up at her and grinned, his mouth full of olives.

"You will choke on so many olives, little brother," she said softly, her eyes teasing but her face serious, "and my heart would never heal from the loss."

Sir finished his olives and said solemnly, "Then I shall take smaller bites, Ishtar. I swear it." He wrapped his little arms around her waist and hugged her tightly, and the young woman kissed his head and returned the hug.

The family gave thanks to the gods for their dinner and then began eating the delicious foods. At first, the conversation centered around Sibi and Iva's adventures as blade brothers, and there was much laughter as they related comical stories and steered clear of the tragic.

"Did you kill a lot of enemies?" asked Sir. The room quieted, and everyone looked expectantly at the two warriors.

"A good soldier hates all loss of life, Sir," said Iva, his voice deep and reflective, "and he only take life when he has no choice."

"So, Sibi, what are your plans for work and home now that you have returned to marry our precious Bau?" asked Ummu, changing the subject. Ishtar took a bite of her soup, trying to focus on the spices rather than the conversation. Part of her wanted to know nothing of his plans for his life with Bau, but another part wanted to hear his voice, see his face, no matter what was said.

As he spoke, Ishtar stole subtle glances at the man, realizing that her memories of his handsomeness did not do him justice. They'd really only seen each other well in candlelight, though, so that was to be expected. Her eyes roved his face and physique, stopping on an angry red slash on his forearm.

Without thought, she said softly, "You have a new scar." The table hushed, and when everyone turned to look at Ishtar, she immediately realized her mistake. Cheeks flaming, she stuttered to cover her gaffe, "T...t..t...the red mark, on your arm, it looks like a recent wound."

Huffing, Bau was the first to respond, "Well, he is a decorated soldier, Ishtar. What do you expect?"

#TeamSibtar4ever

Last edited:
When Bau lowered herself next to him on the double pillow, there would have been a time when he would have been ecstatic at receiving the attentions of such a beautiful woman, in fact, he had been and that had been what brought them to this moment in time where he was stuck in a wedding with a woman he didn't love while the true woman who owned his heart and soul was her sister. There were many other men who would have cherished having a woman such as her and now as she leaned closer, he wished he could switch places with any one of those other guys.

"I do," He agreed, nodding, trying to subtly place space between him and his betrothed. "I am most thankful to you and Iva for sharing his room with me so that I may bathe, rest and change into clothing more suitable for this occasion. I have been in the saddle for a very long time and it is nice to have known the feeling of a real bed and to sit for a change."

He frowned at her obvious breach of appropriate protocol, something that would not have bothered him before he met the woman in the temple, his Ishtar. "I remember, the memory is still fresh, my betrothed. I would have it no other way than to go through the appropriate ceremonies." He flinched as her hand began to travel up his thigh, causing more disgust than pleasure. Does she have no respect, her family is sitting in the same room! "It heartens me to hear that, my betrothed, we must wed until the night the ceremonies have been completed, I would not disrespect your family so."

"I think he is as all young boys should be," He sent a thankful glance at the young boy for the distraction, though he doubted he would understand it, and then burst into a fit of laughter at his jab at his sister before continuing. "Chivalrous and brave. Do not listen to your big sister, you continue to be as you are."

Any glances he would have given Bau were stolen as soon as the real object of his desire entered the room and his cock stirred within his robes in agreement. He knew that her sister would mistake the stirring for her own doing and he was content to let her assume so for now while the real woman of his desire he stole glances at when he thought no one else was looking. What does she think of my trimmed appearance? What does she think me now that we are not restricted by the light of candle to admire each other? He let his eyes rove slowly over her, remembering the soft curves that he could now see in the light of day. His heart constricted at the way she interacted with her little brother, a clear contrast to the way her older sister did.

He too gave thanks to the gods for the obvious feast and dug in, helping himself to generous portions of everything, wanting to taste something other than the dried jerky and salted pork of the road. The conversation ebbed and flowed until it switched to something him and Iva were very familiar with, their campaigning stories. He alternated with his swordbrother, filling in the gaps in his and he in his, together weaving tales that were more fable than fiction sometimes. True war, the scenes of battle were not for the ears of women or young boys.

He sipped from his goblet of wine, nodding in agreement with Iva's words. "And his blade shall only be raised against those who are armed and against those who would raise arms against their home. We fight so that others, like you, will not."

"Ah, I have considered several avenues." He began, setting the goblet back on the table and leaning back, crossing his arms over his chest. "I am tiring of war and the long days of travel. I ache to have a family to call my own and to see on a regular basis. I am thinking of using the coin I have gathered to purchase a farm not far from here and settling down to farm and raise a family of my own."

He heard a new voice, one he would not have expected to hear considering recent events revelations, and he smiled. "Ah yes, it is because I became too cocky when facing a recent enemy in a duel, I fell for a feint I would have not several years ago. It has only served to further reinforce the need for me to seek retirement soon before I am gone and have no one to remember me. And Bau, she is only showing what you should, concern."

"You could never truly leave the battlefield completely, brother," Iva countered with a knowing look and a chuckle. "I know you too well, you would quickly grow bored tending to a field and working a plow."

Sibi shrugged, a roll of his shoulders. "The thought is nice. I would love to hold a child of my own and teach them the ways of the blade as I was not so that they too may carry on protecting our country when I am too old and can no longer lift the blade."

#TeamSibtar4ever

"Bau, she is only showing what you should, concern," Sibi replied to Bau, and Ishtar's eyes lifted to meet his for one fleeting moment before she noticed her sister's pinched face and angry eyes. She ducked her head, not wanting her sister to accuse her of trying to lure her betrothed's attention, so she sipped her wine and continued listening to the conversation.

"You could never truly leave the battlefield completely, brother," Iva countered with a knowing look and a chuckle. "I know you too well, you would quickly grow bored tending to a field and working a plow."

Sibi shrugged, a roll of his shoulders. "The thought is nice. I would love to hold a child of my own and teach them the ways of the blade as I was not so that they too may carry on protecting our country when I am too old and can no longer lift the blade."

Ishtar's hand trembled as she returned her wine glass to the table and placed it in her lap, away from view. Her heart pounded, and she felt beads of sweat dot her brow. She closed her eyes, focusing on her breathing.

"You shall not be old for many more winters, Sibi," Bau said silkily, leaning closer to the man. "And I will pray to the goddess Ishtar to bless us with many strong, brave sons like you and beautiful daughters."

Ishtar stood suddenly, murmuring that she would retrieve a special treat that her mother prepared to celebrate Sibi's return, and went into the hearth room. She stood beside the open windows used for ventilation and breathed deeply of the evening air. She felt rather than heard her mother coming behind her, bringing a cup of cold water to her, and she drank deeply then pressed the cool cup against her forehead. Soothing words touched her ears, but she didn't understand them, thinking of the child that she could not present to her warrior, to see grow with laughter and love.

"Tush, daughter, breathe," her umma soothed, rubbing her back and pressing a cool, damp cloth against the back of her neck. "Your sister did not intend to hurt you by invoking the fertility goddess, your namesake, in her wish for children. It is custom, as you know. Calm, dearest. The goddess will bless you when you find a husband, and you, too, will have beautiful children in your home."

The girl nodded, allowing her mother to think it was Bau's use of her namesake that upset her so. She couldn't tell her that it was that she once carried the warrior's child in her own womb.

-----

Bau's perfect jawline tightened when her betrothed offered her censure for not being concerned about his scar. She hadn't even noticed it, to be truthful, but that didn't mean she wasn't concerned about his wellbeing. He looked well, despite the scar. Thankfully, it hadn't reached his face to mar it, she thought to herself. The other girls in their village already envied her beauty, and soon they would envy her husband--a renown warrior, handsome and strong, with coins to purchase a farm of their own. Her excitement wavered when she noticed her sister staring at Sibi and then lowering her eyes. The beauty's own eyes narrowed in suspicion. Did her sister think she could steal her betrothed just because he took pity on her embarrassment for being forward in mentioning his scar? A slight sneer formed on her face, but she hid it quickly, replying to her fiancé when he described his desire for children.

"You shall not be old for many more winters, Sibi," Bau said silkily, leaning closer to the man. She stroked his thigh again. He'd hardened quickly when she stroked him earlier; she felt it against her hand. She nudged him, a knowing smile on her face when she felt that he was still aroused, and she wanted to crawl on top of him and feel him inside of her. "And I will pray to the goddess Ishtar to bless us with many strong, brave sons like you and beautiful daughters."

Ishtar rose from the table, promising to return with dessert, and left the room. Their umma followed after her, and her father and brothers darted concerned looks toward the door. Gloating inside, she leaned against Sibi and whispered, "Ignore my backward sister, my betrothed. She is jealous of me because her lover ended his pursuit of her when she miscarried. What man would want a woman who cannot give him children?" She slid her hand farther up his thigh, lightly nudging his bulge. Bau couldn't wait to be filled by this man. She had not lain with one since her temple ceremony, despite her flirtations, and she was ready to do so again. Since they were betrothed, they need not wait until they were married, as long as they were discreet.

"Here we are," came Ummu's musical voice as she brought in a pan of sweet bread filled with honey, dates, and sesame. Ishtar followed, her face pale but a mask of serenity, carrying a bowl of pomegranates, apples, and grapes.

Bau watched her sister sit beside Sir, who immediately cuddled up against her. The boy's eyes drooped, and he looked tired. Affection tugged at her heart for the boy, and she felt a twinge of envy as her sister wrapped her arm around him and and rested his head on her shoulder. Sir never took to her like he did to Ishtar, and despite their snippy relationship, she did love the child.

"Abum, Ummu, may I be excused to put Sir to bed?" Ishtar asked, stroking the boy's hair. "He is falling asleep in his sweet bread," she explained with a chuckle.

"Yes, daughter, thank you," replied their father. The two rose, Ishtar's arm around Sir's shoulders, and she led him from the room.

"So, my son, let us set the dates of your wedding," boomed Abum, his voice cheery and smile bright from good food and wine. "We have a small bridal hut at the edge of our farm that my eldest son, Moumis, and his bride used until they build their home. It can be readied quickly for you and Bau. All of our friends and family, when we send word of the impending nuptials, could travel here before the end of next week. What of your people? I know your parents are in Irkallu*, but what of your friends and blade brothers who may wish to attend?"

Bau listened as the men spoke, and she continued to tease her betrothed, sliding her hand along his inner thigh and sporadically nudge him through his garment.

"It is settled, then," Abum said, his voice cracking with authority and finality. "Bau will be married to the soldier Sibi on the next full moon so that the goddess may bless them with a long, happy life together and many children."

"Let it be so," spoke Ummu and Iva, and Bau quickly echoed their voices.

"Now that the date is set, I know that young betrothed with to be alone," said Abum, smiling indulgently at them both. "You may walk in the moonlit garden of the gods for a time, but do not stray beyond the path and into the trees. Your wedding is not far off."

-----------------------------------------------------

*Irkallu (the Great Below) is the Babylonian idea of the underworld or afterlife. It is considered neither punishment or reward, just the place to exist after life is over.

#TeamSibtar4ever

Sibi could feel the angry eyes of his betrothed on him and knew that he had made matters worse for his woman with her sister. He could sense a deep hatred from the older sister and he found himself curious as to the reason why. Perhaps he could find a way to mend things between them so that they could at least tolerate one another? His gaze drifted towards his true woman and he noticed the beads of sweat on her brow and was going to ask of her well-being when his betrothed picked up on the conversation between him and Iva.

"If only the gods and goddesses would be so kind," He mused, his gaze smoldering as he glanced at Ishtar. "I would be happy if I were to have naught but one child! But the thought of many young ones running around within a house of my own does stir something within my soul."

His gaze followed after Ishtar after she fled from the room, his fingers drifting to tug out the veil so that he could run his fingers soothingly over it, noting the concerned glances from all of the family members gathered around the table. He felt his betrothed lean close, her words like venom in his ear. It was not the way in which she conveyed the words that poured ice over his heart but what she had said within them. My woman was with child? He mused dejectedly, his mind running in a hundred different directions. Was it mine? Did some other man lay with her after our night of passion, our promises in the temple of Aphrodite? The thought of another man having access to her body, hearing the same pleasured cries he had urged from her, set his temper alight, simmering quietly. The possessiveness surprised him. He had hardly known her and surely now, having seen him as the betrothed of her sister, she would have done the math, realized he was to be married when he sought her on the temple steps. He felt his betrothed's hand slowly moving toward his bulge and he redirected it back down his thigh.

He could not keep quiet at his betrothed's words and hissed. "A man who sees a woman as more than chattel, to be bred. A good man."

He was glad to see Ishtar return, her countenance restored and serene. He watched as she lowered herself next to her younger sibling, felt jealousy tug at his heart as the young boy clung to her, his head resting on her shoulder, wishing it was his head in place of the boy's own. His gaze followed them as they left the room until her father summoned his attention back with the desire to set a date for his wedding to his betrothed. The two haggled, in good nature, until a date was set for the next full moon. He continued to redirect and deter Bau from her attempts to tease him under the table.

"As you have said, the only family I have known are in Irkallu." He mused, scratching at his chin and deterring Bau again with his free hand. "I could send word of invitation to most of my swordbrothers; but, I would not know how many of them would attend. I have no friends for my swordbrothers are one and the same."

He quickly followed their sentiments with his own. "May it be so."

"Father is too kind," Sibi replied with a bow, slowly rising from the pillow to stretch before extending a hand to his betrothed. "I will respect your wishes and treat your daughter with naught but the most respect until the night our wedding has elapsed. Would my betrothed care to grace me with her company for a pleasant stroll through the moonlit gardens this evening?"

Bau placed her hand in Sibi's and smiled seductively at him, easing up from the floor with a sensual, catlike grace and leading him from the house and down a moonlit path toward the village gardens.

"Tonight is much like the last time we were in the gardens together, Sibi," she purred, her hand sliding from his and stroking his arm as they walked. Her words held a hint of promise. Remembering the way he redirected her hand during dinner and his promise to her father, she decided to change tactics, her voice turning gentler and kinder. "I am so happy you have returned to me at last, and I cannot wait to start our life together, my brave hero. I will go to the bridal hut tomorrow to clean it and prepare it for us. Will you join me, Sibi? I believe the roof has a leak that should be prepared."

------------------------------

Ishtar finished tucking her brother into bed then returned to the hearth room to help her mother clean up after dinner. The women worked in companionable silence, and her ummu bid her happy dreams before she kissed the girl's forehead and retired to bed. The girl slowly made her way toward her bedroom, noting that her sister's pallet was empty. Before she could strip to her shift, there was a knock on her door.

The girl opened the door slowly and relaxed when she saw Iva's concerned face staring at her.

"I was worried when you left during dinner, sister. You were so pale," he said simply, his eyes watching hers in the dim candlelight. "Are you feeling poorly?"

The brunette shook her head, replying honestly, "No, I am not ill, brother." She lowered her eyes and took a deep breath before continuing as honestly as she could, "I still struggle with the loss of my baby, and hearing Bau and her betrothed talk about children made my grief return. I am ashamed that I did not rejoice in their excitement and behaved childishly by leaving the room."

"You were not childish, sweet Ishtar," Iva responded, his voice gentle and his eyes sympathetic. "Losing a child is always difficult, so people say, but losing one who was a gift from Aphrodite during a sacred ceremony must be of the utmost agony."

A lump formed in her throat at her brother's words because he did not know how true his words were to her. Impulsively, she wrapped her arms around his middle and hugged him as if she were a little girl who needed comfort from her big brother. When she was a child, though, she usually sought her twin Ea for comfort, but Iva was always there to support her, as well. She truly was blessed by the gods for giving her such wonderful brothers. She blinked away the hint of tears and pulled back, smiling gently.

"Thank you for your absolution, Iva," she said. "I do hope I did not insult Bau or her betrothed with my behavior."

Iva nodded and replied, "I am sure Bau will understand. After all, she is a woman and understands how special children are to women. As for Sibi, he might not have noticed--Bau was doing her best to keep his focus on her, as you no doubt saw." He chuckled, shaking his head ruefully. "However, if he did notice, he is a good man who will probably be more concerned that you are not feeling well. Now, you rest well, sister. Tomorrow is a new day, and we have a wedding to prepare for."

He turned on his heels and left the house, heading to his bachelor quarters. Ishtar hesitated at her door and decided to offer a petition to the gods and goddesses, so she left the house and slowly made her way toward the gardens.

Last edited:
Sibi ignored the seductive smile she flashed at him and allowed himself to be led, albeit reluctantly, out of the house, down the moonlit path and towards the gardens her father had spoken of. He could only assume that they were a common place for young couples to go and enjoy the company of one another without the annoying, prying eyes of relatives or friends. A sort of fun, relaxing place where they could be young and in love without concern or worry. He doubted they were truly alone for he did not know of many fathers who would let their young daughters walk within the gardens unsupervised.

"Aye, it is." He mused, observing the gardens for the first time, his last spent mostly observing his betrothed, before he had met Ishtar and knew what true love was. "I am happy to have returned to you and your family as well. I am eager to begin our life together as well though I am glad that we have some time before we are one. I would like to purchase some land so that we have a home of our own to move into upon the eve of our wedding, to consummate our vows in our own bed."

He turned to look at his bride-to-be, squeezing her hands gently. "Yes, I would be honored to join you to repair the leak. It would not do for my betrothed to get wet if it should grace us with rain."

"It is so rare to have moments of peace like this in the world of a soldier," he quietly confided. "Though taking moments like these for what they are may be boring to you, I cherish them to ground myself once more in my humanity."

He guided her over to a ledge, sitting down and patting the space next to him for her to join him. "Tell me more of you and your family. I am curious to know more of what you meant about Ishtar. Is she unwell? When did she have this miscarriage? Who was her lover? I only ask because I do not wish to come into my new family without being aware of a possible scandal I may be confronted with. Do you know why she fled from dinner so? Is there something so hideous about my presence that she would flee from me?"

"I know I am intimidating," he continued, stretching his arms above his head and smiling, taking her hand and gently squeezing it in his lap. "You would be surprised how many fear me when I am merely a soft-hearted individual outside of the battlefield. Now," he gently squeezed the hand of his betrothed again. "Tell me more of you and your dreams? What do you look for the future? Are you truly happy marrying me? Do I make your heart sing?"

Back
Top Bottom