Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Two Tribes (butterfly0408/Life on Mars)

"You name it, I can do it Takoto." And she did mean that. As one of the strongest women in her tribe, Amara had been able to do it all. "I can cook, I mend, I can make pottery, I fish, I hunt, I can fight... thought I doubt your father would let me do that."

"Fight?" that last one caught Takoto by surprise. Women were not supposed to be fighters, that was the duty of the men in order to keep them safe. Though the way she acted sometimes one could think her spirit was that of a mans. "Surely you jest. I do not know how your village down things but here women are not trained to fight."

"With tribes bordering our lands, threatening us every day..." the look in her eyes was clear. She was speaking of people like him, "A woman needs to know how to defend herself. Or do you forget when I woke you from your sleep with your own weapon pointed at you? I did not even disturb you. Stealth is my greatest trait as a fighter. And I promise you... if I have a bow and arrow the day you took me, I would not be here right now."

Takoto kept washing her back, a bit relieved to see she was regaining her spirit. "I don't doubt you wouldn't be here. We probably would have killed you the moment you attacked." He was still a bit skeptical, though the memory of that first night was still pretty fresh in his mind. "That is something I would like to see when you regain your strength.

"Trust me with a weapon?" she asked with a slight smile on her face. It was nice to just have this moment with him. She knew it would not last for the moment they would need to depart the hut or invite someone else in, it would all change. "Why do you treat me like this? And why is it only when we are alone?"

The hut fell into awkward silence, the only sound the drip, drip, drip of the rag in Takoto's hand. It seemed a lifetime to Takoto before he could speak. "You...are not as I had expected." Sharing feelings was not exactly one of Takoto's strong points. "You've made me question things the tribe had done...things I have done. I want to know more about you, but I cannot show such thoughts to my people. It would be weakness, foolishness. They would claim you used witchcraft of some kind." Of his father would just use the excuse. "If our situation was reversed what would you not do the same?"

"I don't know what I would do..." she admitted openly with a sigh. "I don't seem to know anything any more. I thought I knew things. I thought I would live a life, happily and quietly with my husband, but that was taken from me. I thought I would find love again, but that was taken from me. I thought I would live forever in my village, but... that was taken from me. I don't know anything anymore. I just don't know."

"Know one ever really knows what is to happen," Takoto told her, feeling like he was just really starting to understand her. "Years ago my great-great grandfather thought we would have conquered these lands, but look at us now." He still could feel the tension in the air though, especially at the mention of her former fiance. "Your husband...he was a brave fighter you know, never once backed down to protect the others. I admired him for that."

She doubted he even knew who her fiance had been. He had faced and killed so many, how could he recall even one of them? Somewhere inside, she just knew he was only saying it to be kind to her. At least he had that in him. "Thank you..." she whispered.

Back
Top Bottom