Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fire & Rain: An Avatar AU (Frozen Princess & LadyWolfie)

Haruko separated from the group before the feast and went back to where they were staying. She then changed into her dueling attire and made her way back to the Palace joining her friends without a word. Anyone who knew Fire Nation traditions would be able to see what she was planning. That meant there were very few in the room who would be able to guess what she was planning, given the Northern Water Tribes out dated knowledge of her home and it's Traditions. She doubted anyone one but Aang would know what she was about to do. She waited until after the feast, as to not disrespect the Chief or new Moon spirit.

After the feast Haruko stood up and walked towards Pakku her expression hard as she stopped before the Water Bending Master. "I Challenge you, Pakku to an Agni Kai, an Honor Duel. If you refuse you have no honor and prove that I am your superior in both skill and honor." she said coolie and waited for his answer. She made sure to announce her challenge loud enough that every one in the hall could hear her. This was meant to embarrass the Water Bending Master should he try to decline.

Whoever didn't see that Agni Kai coming had been living under an iceberg the last few days. Most everyone, even Pakku's students had seen how he first treated Haruko, then Katara and finally Aang. A good portion of them had already talked to the chief about jumping to a kinder water master as several saw how shoddy he had treated Lumikki over the years. Basically using her, a master in her own right, to 'weed out the weaklings' which disrespected both her and the student pitted against her.

Pakku chuckled most cruelly. Here was a chance to get rid of both his thorns. He pointed to Lumikki. "In the event you are defeated by me..." One could almost hear 'little girl' in his tone. "There is your punishment. Take her with you. You WILL still need a waterbending 'master', yes?"

Aang looked ready to object. Both the chief and Katara held him back and shook their heads. The Chief answered Pakku roughly, "And you will lose the last bit of respect from me. It'll be more honorable for Haruko to accept that condition than refuse it. If you are so sure of your abilities... Leave Master Lumikki out of it. Let her make her own decisions regarding whether to go with them to continue the Avatar's training."

Pakku folded his arms, unbudging, forgetting an old saying. "Pride comes before a fall."

Lumikki was fed up with Pakku. She whispered over to Haruko, "Kick his narcissistic ass. For everyone HE'S ever publically embarrassed. Including Aang." She then moved to stand next to the Chief.

Haruko scoffed as she heard Pakku's comment, "She can chose whatever she wants to do, our duel has no baring on what she does or doesn't do." she replied simply as she watched the man. "What is does effect is your Honor, and if you turn down this duel for any reason, everyone here will see that have no honor, and dare I say it, you are a coward." she added as she waited for the man to accept or back down. She could see the anger and annoyance building in the man as she waited. She didn't care one way or the other, after all she won no matter what the Water Bending Master chose to do.

"Fine!" Pakku finally said "But you will regret this little girl." he said as he stood. Haruko smirked as she lead the way outside into the court yard where they would have more room.

"Careful of your over confidence Master Pakku, it will be your downfall. You forget that I was a Captain in the Fire Nation Army." Haruko replied as she came to a stop and turned to face the man. The crowd had already gathered and were waiting excitedly. Some knew what had led to this confrontation while others were ready to cheer on the Water Bending Master to beat the Fire Nation woman. Regardless of which side the onlookers were rooting for, they would get a show, though perhaps not the one they expected. "Ready?" Haruko asked as she dropped into her stance and Pakku did the same.

After a long pause someone from the crowd called begin and the duel was started. Before Pakku could even make his first move Haruko was already moving, an unusual move for her in a fight as she usually waited for her opponent to move first. A lightning bolt shot past Pakku's head, missing by only a few centimeters, and hit a pillar behind the man causing it to collapse and leaving the Water Bending Master frozen in place for a moment, one which Haruko used, not to attack but to give the man a chance to yield.

"As you can see, I've regained my ability to Fire Bend, and I'm far superior to anyone you've ever faced. That lightning bolt could have killed you, if I wanted to. Instead it was to prove a point, yield or risk facing the full fury of the Great Granddaughter of Avatar Roku!" She said as she stood from her fighting stance expecting the arrogant man to indeed yield.

Even some of the waterbenders on Pakku's side clapped at the display. Chief Arnook and Lumikki looked like father and daughter as in unison they both mouthed a 'wow'. Katara, Aang and a few men rebuilt the destroyed pillar.

Pakku looked white as the snow and ice around him as he saw the damage, he glared at his students. How dare they let the girl help them make the pillar. A look to the chief who had his arms across his chest, with a stern look. Lumikki almost looked smug, not the better than you kind Pakku had, but it was enough.

Pakku threw his hands up and walked off, fuming.

Chief Arnook breathed a sigh of relief. "He at least had sense to know when he was outmatched. Unfortunately, you may have made him your enemy, I hope I'm wrong since his disrespect to others, especially females, was long before you came. Best not take chances. Although you have made many friends among us by showing exactly what you set out to, there is honor in the fire nation, it might be best that you leave at first light. I will see you off. Meanwhile, I invite you all for one last night of celebration."

A kid tugged on Haruko, unafraid, "Can you do a fireworks show for us after?"

Arnook smiled. "A splendid idea, if you wish. That's entirely up to you." Sadly, a lot of people that were behind Pakku, left with him. Arnook tutted sadly. "Their loss. Let us celebrate the new moon spirit!"

Haruko's smile grew as Pakku conceded the fight to her, and unlike Lumikki, her's was smug and confident. After the man left she made her way back over to the others, she knew Aang disapproved of violence but this was necessary and she didn't care if the technically 100+ year old wanted to try lecturing her. He didn't have the same experience of the world as she did. As she felt the tug she turned her attention to the kid and arched an eyebrow. "I don't know... that's not really my specialty... but maybe." she replied simply. She half hoped the kid would forget, because had never tried her hand at such things, her focus had been combat and the basics. But her hope were likely dashed when the Chief spoke up and she sighed, "I think about it." she replied simply before making her way back to her seat with Aang, Katara, and Sokka. She was ready to get some rest for the night and she was pretty sure everyone else was too, after all they had all just fought a major battle against the Fire Nation and it's most aggressive commander. But with Zhao out of the way Haruko had a feeling it would make their traveling easier. Of course there was no telling what Zuko had planned, nor did she knew that Azula would soon be sent after them.

The chief knew his guests and many of those that stayed were tired, so the celebration of Yue's life and transformation to the moon spirit was relatively short. Instead of deep into the night like something like this would normally be, it seemed only to be a few hours. It was long enough for the kid who asked to have fallen asleep, however.

During it, Lumikki made the announcement that if they desired, she would go with them to continue the Avatar's training, but only if the team wished to add her to their ranks. Aang and Katara we're all for it since two days were hardly long enough, but Aang had tried to give her every reason NOT to come by asking if she was sure several times. Sokka seemed indifferent over it, muttering something about needing an Earthbender too, and what was wrong with Katara taking over. Katara reminded him she didn't know everything either, and Lumikki would come in handy if the Fire Nation came after them again. Sure, Haruko had her bending back, but two masters would go farther in keeping them at bay.

It was announced some outsider of the tribe, that came not from the southern one either, would be their new Master, making Pakku's firing official. Monroe Paula stood. The tall lanky young man towered over even his chief, as he nodded in gratitude for the selection. Haruko would have recognized him as having been pointed out practicing by Aang when he elbowed Haruko when they first entered. Again later as the best of those at the feast performing, and again earlier in the night helping to fix the pillar. He seemed thankful Katara had helped. There might be some rules changing soon in who all would be taught as fighters.

The next morning, Chief Arnook and Monroe were among several well wishers to see them off for the Earth Kingdom to find an Earthbending Master. Lumikki stood nearby, ready to board Appa at the call by whomever, her bags already onboard.

When Lumikki made her request to join them Haruko only shrugged, if Aang and Katara were okay with it then so was she. As the night went on Haruko decided to call it a night early and was the first one to return to their quarters. She didn't plan to stay up late, kno wing they had a long journey ahead of them in the morning.

The next morning she woke up early and began packing for the journey and got dressed in the clothes she usually wore during their travels. She knew the next place they had to go was the Earth Kingdom, and no one hated the Fire Nation more right now, then they did.

Haruko wasn't really one for big send offs, at least not any more as they last time she received one was before she left the Fire Nation, and that hadn't ended well for her, but it had lead her to the Avatar and a way to end the War her Great Grandfather couldn't stop. Not waiting for the send off she was already on Appa and waiting for the others. "Come on guys we should go." she said calmly.

Before they left the Chief told them of someone they should find who could help them get to Amasu, where Aang hoped to find an Earth Bending master. It was an Earth Kingdom General whom was apparently friends with Chief Arnook.

Iceberg barked as Lumikki climbed aboard Appa with the others. "No, Iceberg. I'm sorry. You won't last very long outside of here. You take care of Monroe and Chief Arnook." She found that about the only place for her was between Sokka and Haruko. Sighing some, she leaned back in the seat as Appa was directed into the air with a "Yip, yip" from Aang. "Let me first start by apologizing for my behavior upon our first meeting. Secondly, I'm actually glad you got your bending back, so now the question is, will you be the fire master of the Avatar, or plan to make sure you're at full song, first? Me, I'd want to do the latter, I kinda feel I want to after the moon vanished, although I feel confident enough." Although the question was seriously asked of Haruko and her plans, Katara smirked as it sounded suspiciously like a lesson for her and Aang. "Keep confidence in adversity. Got it Master Lumikki." She looked at Aang.

Haruko relaxed, knowing this part of the trip would be the longest until they reached land. She hadn't exactly expected the question from Lumikki, but she did know the answer. However, she had to address Katara first, not everything was some kind of lesson. "Katara, I don't think that was intended as a lesson..." she commented as she looked at the girl pointedly before turning back to Lumikki. "First, Aang must master Water and Earth before learning Fire Bending. It can be very dangerous and I hope Aang learns that lesson before pursuing Fire Bending. Second, I have a feeling I am not the one who will train Aang, though I will help out, something in the back of my mind says that is another's destiny and that mine lay elsewhere." she replied simply. She was pretty sure she heard Aang complain or at least groan as he heard what she said. Though she doubted anyone would pick up on the mention of her possible destiny, something about the way she said it almost made it seem like she expected something bad to happen to her.

Pushing the thought aside she turned her attention to the skies ahead of them, watching for land, though she knew it would be some time before they arrived in the Earth Kingdom. She wanted to be sure she wasn't wearing anything that showed her connection to her home. "This will be the most dangerous part of our journey for me... I haven't been back to the Earth Kingdom since... well in a long time." she commented as she looked out at the sky and ocean.

Lumikki seemed satisfied both with Haruko's correction of Katara and her response to her question. She nodded. "I hope your destiny includes, at least, a long and prosperous life. Even if it isn't including the actual full training of the Avatar." She sighed. "I feel my destiny changed the moment you all were put in the path of my life. Perhaps at the first layover, the two of us can hone our skills side by side, although they are opposite elements. I may be the 'master' for the waterbenders, but I'm also a 'student' learning from each of you." Lumikki seemed to suddenly wear an odd expression. "Not sure that came out right. Sounded right in my head." She then shook it, hoping the gist of what she was trying to convey about teaching yet learning came out better than it sounded out loud.

Haruko didn't answer Lumikki's first comment, but she didn't expect her destiny involved a long life, but she knew she was nearing a huge turning point. But no one could tell what the future holds for them, so she didn't worry about it as she did her best to relax. There were more important things to worry about at present, like the Earth Kingdom, who hated the Fire Nation even more then that Water Tribes did. Haruko didn't catch anything odd in what Lumikki said, and simply shrugged off her concern about her own words. "There isn't much I could teach you, Fire and Water are quite different when it comes to bending. For example, my bending comes from the willingness to use it, determination to control it, and passion which can be a dangerous emotion. Besides that, only the Avatar can learn more then one element." she replied simply as she closed her eyes. She didn't mind flying, but it was rather boring to her especially over water when there was little or even nothing to really see. Besides that Sokka was once more trying to act as leader so there was no need for anyone else to keep a watch for land.

The former Captain couldn't help but feel that with the defeat of Zhao and Zuko missing, an even darker shadow was building and looming over them to replace the old enemies. A more dangerous foe waiting, ready to strike. This time evasion would be harder and the fights far more deadly, the whole world was about to know of the Avatar's return.

Lumikki nodded. "It came out wrong. I understand that I can't learn to bend fire any more than you can water. By a student learning from each of you, I mean what you talked about to control said element. Emotions, will, add in camaraderie and a balance of respect and trust." She leaned back in the seat, folding her arms. "I started off wrong, and don't want to become the bitter old set in old ways master, like someone I'm glad you showed up." She finally noticed Sokka. "What on Earth are you doing? We're too far north for land, yet. We've not been airborne an hour. Reeee-lax!"

Katara couldn't help but give her brother a smirk as if to say Sokka was going to have three girls on his case now. He'd be better off just enjoying the ride, before turning back to continue watching in front of them with Aang.

Haruko shrugged as she heard Lumikki's reply and looked off into the distance for a moment, "I suppose that might have merit... but I do not believe learning what I used to bend fire will benefit water bending. While our elements are a representation of balance, my techniques and your's will be very different." she commented simply as she did her best to relax. However, she couldn't help but feeling a slight sense of dread rising in her. It was like the victory in the Northern Water Kingdom had put a bigger shadow on their path, they were walking... or flying into more danger. Things were going to get harder for them, but she didn't think the others understood that quite yet. But her feelings could also be caused by returning to the place that marked a dark moment in her own path.

"Regardless of what we do, we should not linger in any one place for long. You forget that while we defeated the Fire Nation Navy, it is the Army which controls ground in the Earth Kingdom. They will not have felt the loss the Navy did, and will likely be more determined then ever to catch us once news reaches them that it was the Avatar whom defeated their great Navy." Haruko finally said at length. It was mostly to distract herself from her own feelings. "As you know by now the Fire Nation's reach is great and it controls much of the once Mighty Earth Kingdom. Few cities have escaped control of the Fire Nation and those that have, are the only places we might find friendly faces or allies. And even then, I would be careful of who we trust." she added, her tone serious, mostly because she knew Aang was likely to disregard her warns, as she had a number of times in the past.

Though she was finished with her warning, she didn't expect a reply as she did her best to calm the growing feelings of dread in her mind.

Lumikki just sort of hung back in her seat, taking in the ride. Sokka seemed to be behaving himself, but then lemming Momo started. Squeaking and moving all around the hapless waterbender, investigating the newest member of the team thoroughly, was the order of the day. "Maybe I should have brought Iceberg after all, but he wouldn't have survived the travel that well."

Finally, Momo stopped scurrying all over her head and sat atop it, being able to see over Aang instead of from Aang. With a smirk, she couldn't help herself. "Hey, Haruko... How do you like my new hat?" she asked with a slight point to the ball of fur sitting atop her head quietly, looking over the vastness of the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom