Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fire & Rain: An Avatar AU (Frozen Princess & LadyWolfie)

LadyWolfie

Fanfic Writer
Book 1: Water

100AG - North Pole

It had been a long two days of flight for Team Avatar and Appa was clearly getting tired as the large flying Bison was losing altitude and was nearly skimming the water. The air was much colder and there were spiky icebergs in the water around them. In Haruko's opinion the ice looked more spiky then it should almost like they were defenses and not natural. But her thoughts were interrupted when Sokka began complaining once more.

"Can't Appa fly any higher?" Sokka whined.

"How would you like to carry all of us on your back?" Aang, the newest Avatar snapped back. The long trip was starting to wear on the group, they were all tired.

"Sure, everyone hop on the Sokka express!" Sokka quipped back as Momo jumped on his back.

"Alright enough you two, we're all just tired from traveling for two days straight without rest." Katara finally cut in.

Sokka began complaining how they would never find the Northern Water Tribe as Haruko tuned him out as she remembered their amazing journey so far. She didn't know about how Sokka and Katara had found Aang as she hadn't joined them until they had visited Kyoshi Island, where she had washed up weeks before the arrival of the Avatar. Haruko had been the youngest Captain in the Fire Nation Military and a prodigy Firebender. Her skills at the time had been unmatched by anyone else, not that it was a surprise as she was the Great Granddaughter of Avatar Roku, making her the second cousin to Prince Zuko and Princess Azula. Her unit had been sent into the Earth Kingdom to subdue a group of powerful Earthbenders that had been ambushing Fire Nation patrols. When her Commander had ordered her to burn down a village where the Benders were suspected to be hiding. She refused because of the risk to the innocent civilians that lived there, she didn't might fighting those who could defend themselves, but attacking helpless civilians was wrong. Her mother had raised her to follow the path of Avatar Roku, which meant she protected those who couldn't defend herself no matter what Nation they were from. When she refused her Commander's orders he passed the order to another and Haruko had blocked the Army's path, even attacking and injuring her Commander. She was then taken prisoner and her unit set up camp in a near by Fire Nation outpost where she was chained and lashed with fire whips for several days. During that time she lost the will to use her Firebending.

Eventually, Haruko couldn't be sure how long it had been, General Iroh had shown up unexpectedly at the outpost. He had heard that Earthbenders were planning to attack the outpost and freed Haruko, saying she had done the right thing. She had been too weak from her torture and imprisonment to escape on her own so Iroh had put her on an Ostrich Horse, given her supplies including her Captain's uniform and sent her to a ship that was waiting in a near by port. Iroh then went on his way to rejoin his Nephew and that very night Earthbenders destroyed the outpost killing all Fire Nation Soldiers stationed their. Which left only two people from the Fire Nation who knew of Haruko's actions. She had made it to the ship, but during a storm the ship had sank and she washed up on Kyoshi where she recoved from the torture. However, because she had lost the will to firebend she couldn't fully control her bending as she had before.

When Aang and his friends had shown up she had decided to join them. Despite their distrust of the Fire Nation she had gained their trust because of her actions and continued to gain their trust during their travels most notably when they had visited Roku's Temple in the Fire Nation and she had helped them escape. Luckily at the time only one monk had recognized her so the Fire Nation still believe her to be dead along with the rest of her unit. With her uniform she had been able to get them out of a few tight spots and even gain valuable information from Fire Nation Soldiers. It still amazed her how the word of Aang had eased much of the tension around her heritage to people the met, at least the ones who realized she was Fire Nation. Now they had finally made it to the North Pole and their journey to find a Master Waterbender was almost at an end. Over the course of their journey she had regain her confidence but not her will, she could maintain her heat and do minor Firebending, but to fully use her abilities it required both the Confidence and Will to do it.

Haruko sat up as a spear flew over Appa followed by another. "I'd say we found the Northern Water Tribe." she said as she sat up and suddenly realized she wasn't dressed for the cold. Her inner warmth from being a Firebender kept her warm so she hadn't realized how cold it was and that she should probably be wearing a coat. "They're going to know I'm Fire Nation...." she whispered to the others as they were lead to the Northern Capital. While she was the oldest of the group she had to rely on Aang and the others to keep her out of any local jails simply because she was Fire Nation.

"Don't worry so much, you're with the Avatar... if worse comes to worse we can say you're our prisoner." Sokka replied which got a glare from his sister.

"Don't listen to him... everything will be fine," Katara added. Haruko wasn't exactly convinced that this would go very smoothly. Soon they were passing through the gate into the large city. Sokka and Katara were amazed by the stark differences between the Northern and Southern water tribes. Haruko felt as if everyone was staring at her, but she hoped the looks were directed at Aang, he was the Avatar after all. While she wasn't in normal Fire Nation attire, she wasn't dressed for the cold either, something she knew wouldn't go unnoticed for long even if she stayed near Aang. She had become a sort of de facto bodyguard for Aang, but that still didn't save her from sneers or worse from those who knew she was Fire Nation at least until they learned about how she had saved an Earth Kingdom Village. Even them some didn't trust her at all without Aang's word.

They were lining the streets all the way to the palace. The Avatar was visiting the Northern Kingdom; the water tribe as a whole seemed above ecstatic. Many hardly paid Haruko a third or even fourth look; after all didn't the Avatar need learn all bending?

Those that did give extra looks her way, including a young woman on a boat who seemed merely to take a double take, and promptly got Sokka's attention that he was suddenly watching her and the boat go up the river from the platypus like tail of the flying Bison, might have given a few cold or icy looks.

"This city is absolutely gorgeous!" Katara mused to Haruko and Aang, the latter seemed to take notice of a group of men practicing... Ice bending? He tilted his head, watching the class and gently elbowed both females to take a look, pointing with his head in a conspicuous manner to not seem rude.

"She certainly is..." Sokka mused, obviously lovestruck, and not paying attention.

A barking seal with a scar over it's right eye brought the parade to a stop, as Appa made a grunt of some kind, and refused to proceed. A girl of 17, although a few inches smaller than Katara came into view in the middle of the road. "The Avatar is welcome, but not her!" She hissed angrily, pointing at Haruko with a shaking finger. "How dare you doom us by bringing the Fire Nation here!"

Two men were coming through the crowd but they'd be too late to stop what was to come. The gauntlet was thrown.

Katara hopped down. "Who do you think you are to say someone isn't welcome?" This got Sokka's attention, and he was back to the front.

Lumikki eyed the taller girl and scoffed, as she took a defensive stance. Everyone knew what that meant, and the center of the street cleared. "Name's Lumikki, little girl,"

Little?! I'm taller than her! Katara thought, aggravated, taking a similar defensive stance.

"I Iive here and I mean to keep breathing. Her kind... Her 'nation'... Brings death and destruction wherever they go. Fact. Another fact. You're a traitor to your people." A fluid motion of hands, arms and feet, and suddenly Katara was hit by a deluge that would have knocked even many waterbenders off their feet.

Sokka snickered that this upstart thought that would do anything to Katara. "Hehe. Katara may be all wet... But just watch..."

They would, and so would Master Pakku and Chief Arnook, arriving just in time for the Southern Tribe member's retaliation... And it was all a fight over Haruko, who Lumikki didn't know, nor did she know her recent past. It was high time Lumikki was taught discipline... The hard way.

Haruko had sat up as they entered the city, though she would have much rather gone unnoticed. She was shocked that they didn't get the usual jeers when they noticed her. It was a small reminder that the war hadn't effected the Northern Water Tribe as much as it did the Earth Kingdom or even the Southern Water Tribe. Of course if anything changed that it was more likely to be the fact that Aang was here and not her. After all, back home they probably thought she was dead. She wouldn't know just how right that thought was until they ran into Fire Nation Soldiers or Commanders that knew her, like Zhao. Pushing the thought aside she took a calming breath and watched as they made their way towards the palace. "Aang... elbow me again and you'll be drown before you find a master." she muttered through grit teeth. She didn't mean any harm by it, and Aang probably knew that, but it was easy to annoy her, being Fire Nation and all. Though usually her anger or annoyance was directed at Sokka, who seemed to be more then a little distracted at the moment.

As they stopped she heard the comment directed at her and she frowned. It wasn't unexpected as most people said the same thing when they found out who she really was. Before she could say anything Katara had already started moving, there was no stopping her now. "Katara wait... it's not worth it!" she called after the waterbender of their group. But it was too late, Katara's anger had been triggered as she was drenched and she created her water whip a second later and was lashing it at the other girl.

"You'll pay for that!" Katara yelled as she took a few swings with the whip before attempting a bigger attack, this time with a wave of water directed at Lumikki from the right.

"Aang, you're the Avatar do something!" Haruko said as she motioned towards the fight.

"Like what?" Aang asked, he seemed to be enjoying the display.

"Like stop them.... They aren't going to listen to me!" Haruko replied with a huff. 'Even though I'm an adult' she added to herself, but that's pretty much how it always was.

"I think you underestimate yourself." Aang answered simply. It was pretty clear he wasn't going to step between two fighting waterbenders at least not without backup.

"Fine!" Haruko snapped as she jumped down from Appa and landed in front of Katara, catching her arm mid-attack, causing the water she had been bending to fall harmlessly. Though Haruko didn't look to see if the attack had even landed. For good measure she shot a small and rather pitiful burst of flames on the ground between the two waterbenders, where it had no chance to hit either. "That's enough! I'm no spy nor am I a member of the Fire Nation Military anymore. I protect the Avatar and I'd gladly give my life to do so." she said as she let go of Katara and stood up straight as Aang landed in front of her blocking any incoming waterbending attacks with his airbending.

"What she says is true... She was imprisoned and tortured for refusing to attack a defenseless Earth Kingdom village and even defending it from her Commander. She escaped the outpost before it was destroyed by Earthbenders, then joined us after she recovered. Without her we wouldn't have made it this far. What's more, she's Avatar Roku's Great Granddaughter." Aang spoke to the gathered crowd. Haruko cringed slightly, mostly unnoticed, as Aang mentioned her last days as a Fire Nation Captain. She didn't like thinking about it, much less talking about it or having others mention it. She also didn't think it was necessary to mention her heritage.

Last edited:
The Northern Tribesmen even knew not to get involved in any fight Lumikki was a part of. Her skills exceeded many of them. As if stopping a real whip with her arm, she grew even more self confident, until blindsided by the wave. Standing pigeon toed, just as drenched as Katara, she (as well as those around her) listened, and for once, but maybe because Katara had done the one thing many men couldn't.... She got through Lumi's defenses, Lumi REALLY listened. Or maybe it was because the Avatar was speaking. Whatever the case, she just stood there staring open mouthed at Haruko. At least she was blinking...

Master Pakku asided quietly to the chief. " That is exactly why women should not learn to be warriors. Too emotional. Although, for the first time..." He looked at Katara. The chief could only nod. Pakku approached the group with a slow clap. "Pitiful performance with the fire, but quite effective. If you truly do guard the Avatar, I do hope it's with the sword." he said first to Haruko, with a nod. "Not as pitiful as the emotional outburst of one of our most formidable waterbenders though. She WILL make it good." He looked at Aang "You have traveled far to seek a master to teach you waterbending? We shall talk more at the feast" Sokka made a remark about Pakku having ice running through his veins quietly to Katara which earned him a sharp elbow in the ribs from her and a glare from Aang. Pakku raised an eyebrow as he eyed Katara. Was there a hint of a smile? Lumikki shook her head. "Well, he's no traitor, either. He's just a blinking idiot." she sighed. She'd have plenty of time to get to know Aang and company, as she was set between Haruko and Katara at the feast table... Of course Sokka got the coveted seat next to the young lady he had seen riding the boat, and now learned was Princess Yue, Chief Arnook's ready to be wed daughter. Sokka constantly had foot in mouth disease, as usual, until he tired of filet of insole, and tried some real food.

Meanwhile, Lumikki tried to be more hospitable. She glanced at Haruko. "Avatar Roku. Good legacy." She uneasily cleared her throat and looked at Katara. "Could give you a few pointers on how to be more effective with the whip. You won't need the back up wave... Unless you're flanked, of course." Haruko would know what Lumikki meant. She shot Master Pakku a glance to see if he was watching, and continued quietly to Katara, "Just don't let Master Pakku know where you got the lessons." What seemed an odd, offhanded comment now, would make sense later.

Haruko glared at the old man as he approached and commented about her bending. What did he know about Firebending, if he really was a Waterbending master then he should know what was needed to effectively bend that element. "I'd like to see you bend better after going through what I have," she snapped in reply. "Moreover, as you don't know what Firebending requires, I'd refrain from commenting on things you don't know old man." she finished, glaring at the man. He would be shocked by her skills when she regained her will to bend fire again. Though she doubted that would ever happen, Aang had only recently learned how much will affected Fire Bending over the other elements. She glanced briefly at Sokka, with a look that said one thing to the wannabe leader, behave.

With a sigh she followed the group into the palace, despite the cold welcome, the promise of food after two days of nothing but traveling was a welcome one. Though Haruko wished she had a chance to change into nicer clothes for the feast. She might not be a Captain in the Military anymore, but she was still a Noble Woman and related to one of the most important figures in history, so she still expected to maintain some form of decorum and formality. While her current clothes weren't bad, she would normally have worn something more formal for such a welcome feast. Once inside she made sure Katara was seated next to Aang, one of her many "match maker" moments, which Aang pretended not to notices, but it was clear her was grateful for the Firebender's efforts. This left Haruko sitting next to Sokka as he tried, and failed to flirt with Princess Yue. She had to give the Princess credit because she seemed generally interested and even amused by Sokka's efforts.

She frowned when her Great Grandfather was mentioned once more. "I suppose, but it was unnecessary information... Don't get me wrong, I am honored to be related to him. But I am not his only decedent. Besides I dishonored him by joining an Army that is willing to kill innocent people.... I was proud to be the youngest Captain in the Fire Nation Army. Then I learned the truth about what's going on in this war and became ashamed... I couldn't just standby and let innocent people be killed... there weren't even any Earthbenders in that village..." Haruko said with a sigh. She hadn't realized everyone at their table or within earshot was listening until she paused and glanced around. "But why am I telling you this... I don't even know you." and with that Haruko was silent for the time being. Of course she knew Roku was proud of her, he had said as much, through Aang at the temple on his island.

Katara, despite knowing of Haruko's past couldn't help but listen as the woman she and the others of Team Avatar had come to trust so much spoke. Once Haruko became silent and clearly had no intention of speaking again Katara turned her attention back to Lumikki. "Don't take it hard, Haruko doesn't really trust easy any more." she commented in a low voice. "But you really think I can improve my whip? I thought I was pretty good with it." she finally replied to the earlier comments made about her style. "What do you mean? Why would he care?" she added looking confused by the comment about Master Pakku. What did it matter that Aang had helped her with her bending while Haruko had offered a bit of advice regarding emotions and form, after reading the scrolls they had stolen from pirates.

None of them know Admiral Zhao was on his way to the North Pole with the largest Fire Nation fleet ever gathered and would arrived in only a few days time.

Maybe Katara had read something more in Lumikki's look, or Lumi's disappointment (which was really in herself) was blatantly clear, after her little show earlier in the afternoon. Maybe because I normally get all my facts first, and enlightening me in all of them about you will help me understand you better." Lumi shrugged, after Katara reassured her. She heard Katara's questions but waited, again until Pakku's attention was elsewhere. "I'll clue you ladies in right now, that it will never matter to Master Pakku what you bend. You're female, so automatically too emotional. To get his respect, you have to be on top of your game. I was one of the few females he trained, until I had a slipup with my ice bending and injured Iceberg. I was so distraught, he cut me immediately, and swore he'd never train another 'girl'. Why do you think there are only men at this ice show he's sponsored? I'm not welcome in his class unless it's to see if a man is worthy of learning ice. I'm there only to spar with his trainees." She looked at Aang. "I don't want to face off against the Avatar, because it's not right. We're on the same side. Besides, you should mop up the floor with me with only a few lessons, so please, for both our sakes, don't cross him."

Aang looked puzzled. He had noticed Lumikki was willing to advise Katara, but advise wasn't train. He finally shrugged in agreement, 'chickening out' as it were, on telling Lumi to train Katara. He had that authority as the Avatar.

Katara was frowning even more. "So you had an accident, so what? So you got emotional when you accidentally hurt your pet... So WHAT? So, women are not allowed to show emotions if they want to fight with water?"

Lumikki shook her head. "You misunderstand me, Katara. The only emotion Northern Warriors are allowed is correctly placed righteous anger... As long as it's not directed at him, because in his eyes, exclusion based on gender and emotions is right. Go against that, your anger is no longer 'righteous', to him. I might have been the last straw on that, but what would I have known at 12?" She took a deep breath. "Better to hear it from me, but 'women are only allowed to use their bending skills for healing'." Although said gently, one could tell it was a Pakku quote.

Aang frowned. He looked at Katara then Lumikki. "Then YOU train her."

Lumikki nodded, "Only if you can't convince Master Pakku to." It was almost like she took a cue from Haruko, and was also playing 'matchmaker'.

Haruko scuffed as she heard Lumikki's comment about why she would share information about herself. That had not been her intention, she had only meant to comment that it didn't matter if they knew who her Great Grandfather was. But as they say, whats done is done, she would not be making the same mistake a second time. Of course she could say she didn't care what others thought all she wanted, it still bothered her that people distrusted her just because she was a Firebender and from the Fire Nation. Jet had been the perfect example of what happened to people when they distrusted and hated someone so much. They became blind to everything around them, aside from their obsessions. Of course her Army had never given anyone a reason to trust her Country but it was her goal to prove not all of them were back. Like General Jeong Jeong and General Iroh or even her own mother and Ursa, mother of Zuko and Azula, there were good people among all the bad like Admiral Zhao. At the mention that this Master Pakku wouldn't respect her because of her gender she nearly laughed, it would have been a dark laugh.

"I don't care if your Master Pakku respects me or not. He can't be a true master if he doesn't realize Bending is governed by emotion. Feel fear and you can't bend period, unsure of yourself and your bending will be weak and uncontrolled, feel too much anger and your bending becomes a danger not just to your enemy but yourself as well. If you don't have the Will to do it, well it's not going to happen, especially Firebending which requires the most will to control. If he wants to judge anyone, he should look in a mirror and realize hes a bigot and no better then people like Admiral Zhao or Fire Lord Ozai." Haruko replied, loud enough for the target of her comments to hear her. Then she pushed her plate aside, "If you'll excuse me Chief Arnook, Princess Yue, I had my fill of self-centered, bigots like him when I was a Captain in the Fire Nation Army." she added as she stood and left the table. "Aang, if you need me I'll be near enough to respond if there's danger." she commented before walking away. If she had the will to use her firebending she would show Master Pakku just what she thought of him and his beliefs. She hoped Aang or Katara would put him in his place first, so she wouldn't need to make a trip back here if she ever did regain her abilities.

Aang blinked after Haruko a few times, guessing it was his fault she was upset and quickly turned back to their hosts. "Sorry... It's my fault she's upset, I may have overstepped when I revealed she was the Great Granddaughter of Avatar Roku... He's still proud of her though. She did the right thing, I hope others can learn from her example." Aang commented to the Chief and his daughter, though glanced towards Pakku as he did.

Meanwhile Sokka ever so eloquently asked Yue if she wanted to meet up later and do an activity, which had the white-haired Princess giggling once more and Katara teasing her older brother again. This served to release at least a small amount of the tension caused by Haruko's words and departure.

Last edited:
Lumi started playing with the little bit of kelp salad left on her plate. She gave a half grin at the teasing, but before long, maybe a few minutes, she excused herself as well, but as she did, Pakku stopped her. "I want you to spar with Noga. Tonight." He pointed to the one boy who made a slight error during the show. One that probably was unnoticed by any in attendance besides Pakku and her. Lumikki saw how close Haruko was, and thought maybe the firebender had caught the slight mistake as well from her words. She looked right at her as she answered Pakku.

"So I can kick his ass and give you yet another reason to cut him? It wasn't that big. If you're embarrassed by something THAT insignificant, than Haruko is right about you. I hope Katara kicks yours." She knew that at least fighting Pakku to a draw was the only way he'd train her, so kicking his ass wasn't going to happen, as LUMI couldn't! She yanked away, apologized again to chief and princess for her behavior and leaving before dessert, and pretty much stormed to where Haruko was. "The nerve of that.... Male! You were close enough to hear, you heard what he wanted and who with. ANYONE could've made that mistake, but it embarrassed him. I didn't see Aang have a problem with the show or be ashamed of some small miscalculation." She seemed to slam her back against the wall as she crossed her arms.

Haruko was outside the Palace leaning against a pillar, looking out past the large wall that protected the city. It was so peaceful and tranquil here, just like Kyoshi Island. It would be so easy for her to just stay here and never have to think about bending ever again. But could she really do that and abandon Aang like that? Would he understand if she decided she had had enough of war and fighting. No, she told herself, Aang would tell her that she had to keep fighting, she had to stand up to her own people and show them their error. Her Great Grandfather would expect it of her, her mother would expect it of her. But what good was she, her confidence was rebuilt, but she didn't have the will to fight. Her silent musing was soon interrupted as she was joined by a certain waterbender. She sighed as she glanced over at the other woman and rolled her eyes.

"I'm not your friend, so why are you confiding in me? I'm just some Fire Nation Spy here to bring doom to your people," she replied simply as if brushing Waterbender aside. Honestly she couldn't really blame anyone for holding that opinion, but that didn't mean she forgave such comments that quickly either. Most people left it at spy, rather then going as far as to call her the "doom of their people" or something similar. Perhaps she was being a bit harsh in her responses but that was just her when she got annoyed. A sort of defense mechanize, even Suki of Kyoshi, who had pulled her from the water when she washed up, hadn't been immune to her biting words at first. To be honest some good rest would do all members of Team Avatar some good, Haruko included even if she said she was fine. As she turned her attention back to the ocean beyond the wall she got the sudden feeling that this peace was merely a calm before a storm that was brewing just beyond the horizon. She briefly wondered if their enemies had realized what their destination had been. Quickly shaking that thought aside, she didn't want to think of the possibilities that they had just brought the war back to the North Pole.

Lumikki sighed. "Deserved that." Iceberg waddled up to her, and like some furless, sleek cat, rubbed against her leg. "Always know when I'm mad, don't you?" The seal barked. Lumi sighed and looked at Haruko. "I was wrong and I'm sorry. How would you be in my position?.... which you sort of was with Pakku. You don't hear me call him Master, do you? He doesn't deserve it. Fact. Another fact. I owe you a second chance, and want to get to know you. You're the first female to stand up to him. That's more than Princess Yue does. I admire that. Look, I'm trying to... What's the phrase? Kiss and make up. Figuratively, of course." She followed Haruko's gaze out upon the ocean. "Beautiful isn't it? Serene. Calming." She pushed from the wall. "Sokka pegged the wrong one with ice for blood, by the way." She took her coat off and put it slightly on the firebender's shoulders, "Although mine would probably be closer to the temperature of a mountain stream. You need anything now for warmth. I can go about four hours without a coat. Consider this another making up attempt." Because of the smell on the coat, Iceberg was confused and stayed close to Haruko as Lumikki walked back in, but not towards the feast just ending with dessert.

Haruko had to stop herself from actually agreeing that Lumikki had deserved her comment. Then she had to remind herself she was supposed to be an adult. Traveling with Aang and the others she had allowed herself to relax more then she ever had in the Fire Nation, at least in recent years. It was like when she had been a kid and simply enjoyed life and firebending was still fun to her, just a game and not a skill that she honed into a weapon. In all honesty she had never fully allowed herself to be a kid or as carefree as Aang was. She envied him in a way, he grew up in peace time. Everyone alive now had grown up during a War, even if they didn't grow up on the front lines they were still touched by it in some way. Aang's personality was a breath of fresh air and even tended to remind everyone what it was like to be carefree. Even after decided it was time to embrace his destiny he was still the little boy he had been that showed up on Kyoshi pinning for Katara's attention. And that sometimes allowed the oldest member of Team Avatar to forget she was an adult herself and simply enjoy the time spent with her news friends. Though it also meant sometimes she could act immaturely, kind of like she had moments ago, throwing a tantrum and throwing Lumikki's words back at her like a child might.

"Look I'm not here to change your traditions. Whatever they are, whether I think they are right or wrong, is irrelevant. But I will call out a jerk, for well being a jerk." she commented simply. She wasn't watching the Waterbender so before she could refuse the coat was already placed, causing her to look back at the girl, shocked which soon turned to a frown. 'Wait... I don't need.... a... coat... unless someone decides to throw me in the water..." she said pretty much to the air as Lumikki had already walked away. There wasn't really much she could do now and she was stuck with it until she could return it to the other woman. Looking down at the seal she frowned, "What, your master went that way..." she pointed in the direction Lumikki had disappeared in as she sighed and noticed the others making their way towards her.

"Nice coat, where'd you get it?" Aang asked as the group came outside.

"The one who called me the "doom of her people" and don't look at me like that I didn't ask for it." she replied as she fell into step with the others.

"Real nice Haruko, really spreading that Fire Nation goodwill by taking the coat of your enemy.... and to think Aang spoke up in your defense..." Sokka commented with mock sadness and disappointment. Haruko felt her eyebrow twitch ever so slightly as she clinched her fist.

"Now listen here you little punk..." Haruko started, but decided on a better come back, if he wanted to play dirty so would she. "At least I could say more then two words to the Princess without tripping over myself." she replied in jest, to which Sokka looked devastated. "Good evening Princess Yue." she added as Sokka began looking around for the mentioned girl.

"Haha very funny...." Sokka deadpanned as he realized it was a joke.

"Come on you two, they're gonna show us to our rooms, then me and Katara are going to start training tomorrow morning!" Aang finally called, his excitement clear in his voice and Haruko couldn't argue at that point so just followed, it was good to see Aang happy.

Next morning.

"Where's your good coat?"

Lumikki was trying to sneak out in an older, faded, yet still quite warm one that was actually just a little big. "I loaned it last night. I think this one would've fit her better, but I didn't have it at the time, Mom."

Mom sighed. "Before you go looking for your girlfriend, kindly make a stop at Yugoda's hut."

"She's NOT my girlfriend!" Lumi snapped (and quite loudly) as she was rushed out the door, along with the retort of her mom following her with, "You loaned her your coat! She accepted it! She's your girlfriend! Don't like it, take it up with the chief!"

Katara stood blinking, as she along with many other people stood agape at what they heard. "Lumikki? You offered Haruko your coat?"

Lumikki eyed Katara. "Katara? Pakku said no?"

"I'm to meet with Yugoda. And learn healing." Katara even sounded upset.

"Walk with me. I have to run an errand for Mom." Lumi sighed. "I take Aang and Haruko both are with Pakku?" Katara nodded. "Who will recognize MY coat draped on Haruko.... I'm not going to hear the end of it from her, am I? I was only intending to show an act of kindness to her to make up for what I said.... Not get betrothed to her!" She stopped at the hut. "Here we are." She knocked gently. "Yugoda?"

"Enter. Both of you."

As if expecting a certain question from Katara, she held up her hand. "Don't. Ask. She just does." They both entered. Lumikki learned she was picking up a healing potion for her mom.

Then Yugoda asked about the old coat, and waited to hear the whole story. She tutted sadly. "You know the traditions, young lady. You gave her no choice but to accept, so YOU have no choice but to accept YOUR fate. You belong to Haruko, now. I take the coat you wear is the replacement to get back your good one? It's more than warm enough still. Great condition. She should be honored if she's a decent girl." She then looked at Katara. "We have much to discuss. My how lovely, and who are you betrothed to?" She asked about the necklace.

"Yugoda, the Avatar wants me to train her although I'm no Master, nor do I want to be called one." She looked at Katara "I'll be waiting outside. Probably getting my ass kicked by my 'girlfriend' who has to be pissed off by now. I can't even do an act of kindness without traditions being in the way. I figured if I just walked away.... That would free me and her and it could be as it was intended. An act of kindness and an olive branch." She left the hut.

Last edited:
A good night's rest had done wonders for Haruko's mood, as she felt much better then she had the previous day after sleeping two nights on Appa's back. Not that the Flying Bison didn't make a good pillow, he just wasn't a good mattress with limited space in the saddle. As she looked through her bag for something to wear, other then her Fire Nation uniforms she found what she should of had on the previous day and none of the mess with the fight and arguments would of happened. As it wouldn't match the blue of Water Tribe she picked an a green outfit from the Earth Kingdom. She didn't know the traditions of the Northern Water tribe and wasn't about to have people mistake her as being in any kind of agreement or relationship with anyone there. As such she dressed in her usual warm style, and put on a coat given to her by Suki before they left Kyoshi. The warrior had become quick friends with the former Captain, mostly over the bond of both being skilled female warriors. Knowing she would need to blend in the Kyoshi Warrior had given her a coat for when they traveled through cold climates were a non-firebender would need a coat.

So luckily for Haruko she wasn't wearing Lumikki's coat, so no one would think they were engaged. Well at least by looking at her, Lumikki would have to deal with the problems on her own end. Besides Haruko wasn't going to lug an extra coat around all day on the off chance she ran into the Waterbender or her seal. She left the coat in their room and would return it in private so to avoid any traditions she didn't know about. Coat exchanges was not something she considered an engagement, therefore it shouldn't apply to her regardless of what the Northern Tribe thought, heck she wasn't even Water Tribe so they couldn't expect the former Captain to know their traditions.

Shaking the thought from her mind she had joined Aang and Katara as they went to the training grounds. She sat out of range of any attacks, but close enough to help. She didn't like Pakku enough to approach close enough to hear the exchange until Katara stormed passed her. "Katara? What happened?" she called after the girl but didn't get an answer and sighed. Not one to stand for having a friend hurt she got up and walked towards Aang and Pakku. She didn't trust this Master Waterbender anymore and wanted to make sure he didn't do anything fishy to Aang. She sat closer now, making it clear she was watching the man for anything fishy. He might not trust her because she was Fire Nation, but she didn't trust him because right now he reminded her of Zhao.

Lumikki was waiting with bated breath the sound thrashing from Haruko that didn't come. Once Katara came out of the healer's hut about an hour or so later, Lumi directed her to a familiar area, a large park, a stone's throw from the Avatar and Company rooms.

The place itself was large and open, yet secluded in such a way that Lumi wouldn't be ratted out to Pakku for training Katara "illegally", truth of the matter was, unknown to Pakku, Lumi WAS an unofficial trainer, as both chief and princess approved of her. This could've been open... But Lumi feared Pakku like one would an abusive stepfather.

"First thing first. Use more of a whipping motion. Doing this..." She copied the whirling motion Katara had done, "Gives your opponent a chance to defend as you saw me do with your whip, stopping it and bending it to wrap harmlessly around my arm." She held up a finger. "However..." She made her own water whip, just slightly thinner than Katara's, but easily as long, and proceeded to use it as intended. CRACK! CRACK! CRACK! Water flew off the edges of the whip, but snow flew from the ground, she quite literally cracked a nearby iceblock, and took some bark off the tree. Clearly, Lumi's had hit flesh.... It would've hurt. She let her water go and back to the pond. "Now let's see you, less lasso. More..." She made the whipping motion with her arm before nodding to Katara.

Katara sighed as she followed Lumikki, she was annoyed about not getting to train but her mood improved as she realized that Lumikki was about to start teaching her. She watched intently at what the Northern Bender did and took it all it. Once it was her turn to try she nodded, "Right, so like this?" she asked as she mimicked Lumikki's movements before trying it with actual water. Then once she was sure she swung her water whip and took a branch clean off the tree with little to no effort from her. "Wow it worked!" she said excitedly. "Alright what's next?" she asked as she waited for Lumikki to give her the next move.

Haruko sighed as she continued to watch Pakku train Aang. While the Avatar was learning he didn't seem to be taking it as seriously as he should even as he picked everything up quickly. Though to the Firebender, the waterbending seemed pretty boring, but by watching Pakku train Aang she watched his style and learned his movements and tells. If she got her will to firebend back, she could use what she learned against him and beat him rather soundly. As they day stretched into evening Haruko began wondering how much longer these sessions would be, Aang was just a kid after all and needed to rest some time, and eat. Briefly she wondered if Sokka had any luck better luck with Yue, but pushed the thought aside. She couldn't afford distractions when she was supposed to protect the Avatar.

(wish I could at least like these....)

Lumikki had a stupid grin on her face, as she watched the branch fall. Clearing her throat and nodding, very much impressed, she said, "Right then, 'nuff of that. Clearly a pointer was all you needed with the whip." She thought of teaching the two whip technique, but opted for three hours of work on advanced waterbending Katara would have learned had she been trained by Pakku.

Unlike the Master, Lumikki broke for a meal, and talked to Katara about things not associated with the lessons, unless Katara asked specifically, although Lumi did try to emphasize separation of the two.

The afternoon lessons did consist of an introduction both of a second whip, and turning water to ice. Control of a second whip wasn't easy, although Lumi made it look easy, but as the six hours came to a close, Katara was getting the hang of it. During one point, early in the afternoon lessons, a large shadow of a certain flying Bison came from overhead. Lumi suspected it was just the animal going for a walk... Or rather fly.

Their day finished, Lumi and Katara were sitting and watching for the return of Aang. In fact, it was about an hour after. The sun wasn't just low in the sky... It was setting. Lumikki visibly frowned, her whole face turning into one big scowl. "Pakku probably didn't even break for a meal. He usually doesn't. But Aang is still a kid. Sister, am I giving him a piece of my mind when he brings Aang back! This. Is. Ridiculous."

"Is this your Haruko?" A woman with hair like the iridescent feathers of a raven, and roughly twice the age of Lumikki approached where they sat. She was easily a few inches taller than Katara.

"No, Mom. This is Katara. Haruko is the Avatar's bodyguard, who I extended an olive branch to, because I was wrong about her. She... Didn't have a... Coat.... And looked cold."

Lumi's Mom smiled at Katara, nodding, before saying, "So the Fire Nation girl. YOU know the tradition on offering your coat..."

"She shouldn't be bound to our traditions..."

"Lumikki. She accepted."

"I didn't give her a choice. I walked away. I wanted her to be warm... I wanted to offer an olive branch."

Slap. It happened so quick, Lumikki was facing 90 degrees from where she had a moment before before she knew it, and the cheek was turning red. "You made her accept?! Then, you belong to her unless the chief lets you off the hook! I suggest you and Haruko visit him about this. Tonight."

Last edited:
Haruko watched as Aang mastered each technique taught to him. Then as the other students were released but not Aang. That was where the former Captain drew the line. It was bad enough Pakku didn't break for lunch, but to send the other students home, all less skilled, and keep Aang for no decernable reason? Thay didn't sit well at all with Haruko and she had seen enough as we stood and walked towards the pair. "Alright Pakku that's enough, it's getting late and Aang need to eat and rest." she said as she came to a stop in the training area, preventing them from having the proper space to train.

"Says who, Aang is my student and will train as long as I say." Pakku challanges with a smirk expecting the weak and emotional girl to back down.

"Says me. Aang is clearly exhausted." she retorted.

"He is the Avatar and must learn to Waterbend, will you deny him that? There is a war going on after all." Pakku replied feeling smug.

"Even the Avatar needs rest, and I don't see any Fire Nation soldiers here. So unless you expect them to show up with in the next few days, I'd say it's pretty peaceful here." Haruko shot back. Just as Pakku looked to be ready to reply she continued, "That aside, he's mastered everything you taught him today, I'd say he's earned a rest and I'm sure your Chief would feel the same."

"Fine! But training resumes at dawn. If you're late Aang, then I will no longer train you." Pakku replied, clearly annoyed at being told off in front of a crowd that had gathered. Without another word Haruko turned to leave, Aang joining her. It was then that Pakku spoke up again. "Nothing but an emotional woman, no wonder you couldn't cut it as a Fire Nation Soldier." The Waterbender sneered to Haruko's back. A moment later a fireball exploded at his feet. It wasn't powerful enough to cause damage but enough to shut the man up for now. He would not let the attack go unanswered as Haruko glared back at him, but continued walking. He would bring it to the chief that very evening.

"I'm not sure that was a good idea Haruko..." Aang commented.

"It wasn't... promise me you'll never bend in anger." Haruko replied, her eyes softened as she looked at the young Avatar.

"I'm a monk, peace is kind of my thing. But hey look on the brightside, you used firebending!" Aang replied with his usual smile.

"So I did," she replied as the pair walked.

~~~~
Katara hadn't thought about Aang's training, having been focused on her own all day. But when Lumikki mentioned that Pakku didn't take breaks she frowned and began to worry about Aang. "Well Haruko is with him, so he should be fine..." she commented, though she still worried a bit. What if Haruko was sent away as well, or worse Pakku egged her on into attacking him and had her arrested or something worse. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the other woman and suddenly felt confused. In all the confusing she lost track of what was being discussed, something about coats and Haroku belonging to anyone? Ha that would never happen she thought. Seeing the slap allowed her mind to catch up with everything said.

"Wait wait wait... hold on... back up... offering someone a coat is akin to a betrothal? Do you realize how silly that sounds!?" she replied as she stood up. She knew Haruko would probably have stronger words for that kind of odd idea. But Katara chose to be less insulting in her word choice.

Just them Haruko and Aang came into view as the climbed the stairs to the level the others were waiting on. Aang was excited to see Katara again, while Haruko was wondering what was bothering Sokka as she had seen him looking rather sad as he went back to their quarters instead of the palace to eat. As they drew near Aang started to talk about his training but thought better of it, guessing Katara was still mad about not getting to train with Pakku.

"Either of you know what's bothering Sokka? I saw him on a bridge looking pretty upset." Haruko commented as she came to a stop. She then noticed the older woman that seemed upset about something. "Everything alright here?" she asked simply.

Last edited:
Lumi's Mom just sighed, pinching her nose. "Even my daughter's own words betrayed her. She did it with affection. Only the chief, hearing BOTH sides, Lumikki, can annul this.... Otherwise, you must leave with them when they do, as you belong to Haruko."

She turned as she heard the woman in question speak. Lumikki approached her, "He might have learned Princess Yue is promised to another, though I can't for the life of me remember who. It was prearranged long before you all arrived. I don't know if it was announced after dinner last night or not. It would've happened after dessert, and well, we had left by then. Otherwise, maybe she told him herself. Speaking of, can you please get my coat, and join me to speak with the chief?" She shot her mom a glare, as 'affection' in THAT sense hadn't been Lumi's intention, as she said nicely to Haruko, "Apparently, my act of good will had unexpected consequences, unexpected even to me. Thought I knew my own traditions better."

When the group would arrive, it would seem that Chief Arnook was not pleased with what he heard as he chided Pakku, "She's his bodyguard, Pakku. YOU overstepped your authority, by your account. I will speak to her, though... Hearing her side. Though by your own admission, it sounds as if she was protecting the Avatar as she has claimed all along. The poor boy must be famished."

Pakku would be excused and Lumikki approached. "May I have your audience?" She asked timidly.

"Do you mind if Haruko hears? I wish to hear her version of an incident this evening." He waved her to approach, while simultaneously holding a hand up to his daughter. With Lumi shaking her head, admitting Haruko was involved, which amazed Arnook, she was allowed by Lumi also to draw near. "Now. You first, Lumi. What is the matter?"

Lumi filled the Chief in on everything that transpired the night before regarding the coat, and her actions for Haruko to keep it on her shoulders. She explained how wrong she had been, and meant it only as warmth and an olive branch. The chief asked pointedly her feelings, and learned Lumi didn't know how else to convey her repentance for her behavior, as horrible as it had been that afternoon towards Haruko, as the firebender had indeed appeared cold. Yes, she cared. But about Haruko's health.

"And is that also how you had seen her gift, Haruko? As she explained it just now?" The chief asked solemnly.

He would pass judgement on this, before asking the firebender about the incident this evening, which Pakku was calling both emotional and unprovoked. The Chief already having his doubts on the latter. Even by Pakku's words, it was definitely provoked, if nothing more than protecting the Avatar.

Haruko arched an eyebrow as she heard the older woman speak, "Wait a second, no one here belongs to anyone." she replied as she looked at the woman, daring her to challenge the Firebender's words. She then turned her attention to Lumikki, "Sure... I'll be right back. Katara mind filling me in?" she asked as she turned and made her way towards their quarters. As they walked Katara explained what was going on, what she didn't expect, or perhaps she did was Haruko's response. "WHAT!? Offering a coat is considered a betrothal? Do you realize how idiotically stupid that sounds? Don't they already have that necklace thing? How many forms of betrothal does once culture need?" Haruko ranted as they walked, everyone within ear shot, and maybe a little beyond could hear her as she was pretty much shouting at the lunacy of the situation. There wasn't really much Katara could do to stop the ranting, instead she simply looked slightly embarrassed by all the stares they were getting.

By the time Haruko had retrieved the coat and returned she had calmed down, exhausting all the ranting she could without answers from the people of the Northern Water tribe. They were perhaps a bit too scared of the annoyed woman to approach and explain their traditions. She entered the Palace in time to notice Pakku talking to the Chief before being dismissed, shooting a self-satisfied smile in the direction of the Firebender as he did. She listened to the Chief and Lumikki as they spoke, and waited for her turn, cause she was really going to give the man a piece of her mind.

"Look, I don't know your traditions. Whatever Lumikki's intentions, it shouldn't matter. Besides that to consider a coat on the same level as a dowry is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. You already have Betrothal necklaces, so why the hell would a coat be considered the same thing? It's a coat.... To clarify, I didn't need a coat then, nor do I need one now. More importantly, we haven't known each other long enough to have formed a friendship, much less anything that could be considered romantic. If it was an attempt at extending an Olive branch then I believe that's what is was, nothing more. No matter how misplaced it was, considering last I checked you didn't force an olive branch into another's hand. That aside, I don't believe there was any other intent behind the offering of the coat beyond a misguided attempt to make up for insulting me earlier. I intended to return the coat at the first chance I got, but I was willing to give Lumikki a second chance, after all we all make mistakes some times," Haruko replied, Katara and Aang both cringing as Haruko called an apparent Tradition dumb to the Chief.

"I see, you say you don't need a coat yet wear one." the Chief replied simply.

"It's simply to blend in, its better to avoid showing that I am a Firebender." she replied.

"In a green coat?" The Chief asked doubtfully.

"I don't own Water Tribe clothes, This was given to me in Kyoshi, and no it isn't a Betrothal either. Your tribe is the only one I've seen with that kind of insane tradition." Haruko answered, once more causing Aang and Katara to cringe. They were pretty sure she had already made her feelings about the tradition clear and didn't need to keep pounding it home.

"I see, very well then. Ms. Haruko can not be held to our traditions as she is an outsider. As for you Lumikki, you know our traditions, no mater how old they are and due for change they might be. I will not excuse such actions on your part again. There is no betrothal here, and perhaps it is time we review some of our older traditions." the Chief replied before turning his attention back to Haruko. "Now, it has been brought to my attention that you attacked Master Pakku?" At this Katara stared at Haruko in shock. Why wasn't she allowed to attack the Master Waterbender and Haruko was? What a double standard, Katara thought as she remembered Haruko telling her to stay calm and not act rashly towards Master Pakku.

"I did not attack Pakku, I issued a warning that I would defend Aang and my honor from anyone. If I had attacked the man, he would not have walked away unscathed." Haruko replied calmly. "Anyone that was present could tell you my fireball never got close to him."

"I see, it is as I expected then. I see nothing wrong with your actions, though I would advise against provoking Master Pakku in the future." Chief Arnook replied.

"I understand sir," Haruko replied with a nod before turning and moving away from the chief before turning back to the others with a sigh. "Here's your coat back. Lets avoid any other Water Tribe traditions that I don't know about." she commented as she held the coat out for Lumikki to take back.

Last edited:
(Thank you. That makes perfect sense. It's old and outdated as well as misunderstood... And Chief Arnook saves face. I'll reply on this post in a bit.)

Lumikki accepted her coat back; they weren't completely out of earshot of the Chief when she spoke up to Haruko. "I'm beginning to understand. He said old. It was a way to show love, romantic love, just as I suspected, yet at the same time... Not always. He seemed to agree with you in regards to romantic feelings. And as you clearly pointed out, we have the necklace, now. How I did it was concern for you. Completely different context. How did it get so warped that just GIVING the coat was a betrothal?"

"How indeed...?" The Chief muttered as he spoke to Yue. The answer was simple. The people of the tribe added their opinions to the actual letter of the rule, as the Chief would learn after the upcoming battle. Right now, he was once again playing host to the Avatar, who wasn't thinking anything about deciding to show Katara some of what he learned, although Katara had learned a few of them in the morning from Lumikki. Something she didn't tell Aang.... And wouldn't in public.

Katara's interest, however, piqued Pakku's attention... And suddenly, there was yet another brouhaha as Aang was publically humiliated with a dismissal from Pakku.

"That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more!"* Lumikki practically shoved the old coat (she had switched them) at Haruko as she stormed to Pakku, "You inconsiderate male chauvinist! It's bad enough you treat women so casually and disrespectful, but I'll be damned if I let you talk to the AVATAR like that! Why is he cut?! Hahn?! Why?! And it damned well better be one helluva good reason!"

The Chief was within earshot as Pakku dismissed Lumi as being overly emotional and he didn't need to explain anything he did to the likes of her. Unamused, the chief cut in. "Then tell me, Pakku, in the presence of all these witnesses. Why did you just cut the Avatar from your class?"

Pakku explained how he had emphatically forbade Aang from teaching Katara what he learned from him. Yet, here he was, going against direct orders.

"I wasn't TEACHING her how, I was showing her what I learned." Aang said calmly. "Had it been true teaching, I would have slowed my movements so she could mimic them."

The Chief nodding, said, "Well said. I saw, and apparently these two did as well. Well then, Aang? Would you settle for the second best waterbender to finish your training?"

"Of course. Who is he? Can I meet him, now?"

"You're already acquainted with HER." He looked at Lumikki, then to Pakku who visibly frowned upon hearing this, as well as a verbal growl escaping his throat. He relented as Lumikki whispered quietly to Arnook. "Really? That impressive?" He asked looking at Lumikki, who nodded. "And Katara if she wishes." Pakku opened his mouth but said nothing. Closing it he stared down Katara.

"Sorry I stole your thunder, lightning and fireworks, Haruko.... But you have no idea how long that's been brewing." Lumi said, probably in the calmest audible voice she had since the conversation after seeing the Chief.

(*-iconic line from an iconic spinach eating sailor)

Last edited:
Haruko shrugged as she listened to Lumikki explain the situation as she now understood it. Though in the Firebender's eyes it was settled from the start, it wasn't that she didn't care, just that the Water Tribe traditions didn't really effect her in the long run. All she really had to do was avoid insulting anyone because she was ignorant to some of the more quirky traditions. For the most part all cultures of their world had pretty similar ones, like honor the one Haruko held as the highest, they also all shared a love for tea. That was something she had learned from General Iroh.

Her musing was cut short as another altercations began between Team Avatar and Pakku. She was just about to step in when Lumikki shoved yet another coat into her hands and she frowned as the girl stormed off. This caused quiet an interesting scene to play out, which gained it's own attention, at least for a moment.

Haruko shifted her stance slightly to the right and mimicked Lumikki's movements, "Hey Haruko, would you mind holding my coat for me?" she asked in a cheerful voice then shifted to her left, back to acting as herself. "Sure Lumikki, I don't mind being a coat stand for a few minutes..." she replied in a similar cheerful tone. She then returned to her normal stance, an expression somewhere between bored and annoyed on her face as her eyebrow twitched ever so slightly. It was a look she gave Sokka quiet often. This had Katara feeling a bit worried about the sanity of their Firebender.

"Are you alright Haruko?" Katara asked causiouly.

"Oh yes I'm just fine Katara! I've gone from Bodyguard of the Avatar to..... a coat stand...." she replied, her tone started as overly cheerful, but ended in a sarcastic deadpan. This of course caused a small scene as the people within earshot all stared, until everyone's attention was pulled to the bigger scene caused by Lumikki, Pakku, and the Chief's conversation. Haruko kept he eyes on Pakku, she didn't think he would try anything, but then again his pride was taking huge hits at the moment. Haruko would attack his honor next, when give the change. After all as Lumikki soon admitted she had stolen a small bit of thunder. As Lumikki returned and stated as much Haruko shrugged.

"No worries, although there wouldn't be much fireworks, as this is about the extent of my bending at the moment," she replied as she created a fireball in her hand for a few seconds, glancing towards Pakku, before closing her fist and snuffing out the fire. "Besides if I had confronted him, he'd probably use it as another excuse to try to get me thrown out of the city or jailed." she added. Instead she waited until he was leaving, as they were still near the entrance he had to pass them to leave. That was her moment to strike and really damage the man's pride and honor. It was the latter she was after, as his pride had been stepped on enough by the others. "So you would really refuse to train the Avatar, even though he is probably the only one powerful enough to stop the Fire Nation? Do you want this war to end? Or would you rather just let the Fire Nation win? If that's the case why not just open your gate and invite the next Fire Nation ship to pass right into your beautiful city." she called, which caused the man to stop in his tracks.

"You'd love that wouldn't you? To see the Fire Nation banner flying over this city!" Pakku snapped back.

"Not at all, I want to see peace and that can't happen as long as Fire Lord Ozai is in power. she replied, he was falling into her trap. "I might be an emotional woman but at least I know where my loyalty is. To ending this war and bringing peace to all Nations and protecting those who can't protect themselves and most importantly the Avatar as my Great Grandfather would expect of me. Where is your honor and loyalty." she finished as Pakku glared at her.

"Tis I don't have to take this from you. Your nothing but an emotional woman who can't even bend your own element." The "Master" Waterbend snapped and stormed away. Haruko simply smiled to herself as she sat to eat. She was honestly ready for the evening to end. Besides that, she was worried about the only non-bender in their group. Sokka wasn't here and he never missed a chance to eat. What could be so bad that he would forgo food?

"Hey, I'm going to go check on Sokka... I'll see you guys later. I know Aang is in safe hands. Also Lumikki here's your other coat back, it's nice of you, but I really don't need it." she said as she took two plates of food with her, one for her and the other for Sokka. As she left the palace and made her way towards their quarters she got a feeling of being followed as well as a sense of dread like something bad was about to happen. When she glance back she didn't see anything, but the feeling of something bad happening soon didn't go away as she resumed walking.

Katara was about to ask Haruko what she meant as she saw Lumikki being talked to again by the chief, who only gave Haruko a courteous nod. He also had already talked to Aang and Katara at length about who they wanted. Both pairs of eyes went towards Lumi.

Lumikki was learning now the Chief's decision on the whole matter now as her eyes went wide as saucers and her jaw dropped. She had wanted to tell Haruko that she had only intended to have Haruko hold it while she gave Pakku what four (for). Wait, she unleashed both barrels on him. It was probably what eighter (ate her).

With Haruko leaving, Lumi assumed protector and matchmaker roles, as Katara was assigned the seat next to Aang again. Katara raised an eyebrow as Lumi took her seat next to her.

As the Chief once again toasted Aang, he also announced a change in the teacher for the Avatar, citing the very incident many diners witnessed as why. He then asked Lumi pointedly what time lessons would start. She hadn't started with Katara til around 9:15, so she answered smartly, "Quarter after eight. Same place near their rooms as today's with Katara. Let them have breakfast. Dawn is a bit cruel." Especially since Dawn was about 5:30 on top of the world. With that settled, they ate dinner.

Haruko. How was Haruko going to handle this news? Would she be relieved? Or mad and threaten her not to be abusive? Both? Lumikki let that bother her throughout dinner. She wasn't much of a conversationalist. She poked at her food, and sighed. At dessert, she passed, and left when the remaining two left.

The Day of the Battle

It started off clear, yet with a peculiar haze on the horizon. Dawn. Zero hour. By nine a.m., Aang and Katara were enjoying the beginning of lessons with a trainer that calmly would move an arm, wrist, foot or leg for a proper stance or the slow teaching one step at a time to bend. Both were on ice, and Aang was having trouble concentrating by two. Lumi blushed, apologized profusely, especially when Aang bent snow around him and became a living snowman, causing Lumi to facepalm with a grimace and call the break... Then Momo gagged on black snow starting to fall. Lumi looked up. "...The hell?"

Haruko made it back to their room without anything happening, but her feeling still wouldn't go away. Pushing the feeling aside she found Sokka who was indeed upset. It wasn't hard for her to figure out what was bothering him. As it turned out it was Yue's betrothal to someone, as Lumikki had guessed earlier. To ease Sokka's mood Haruko suggested that he take Yue for a ride on Appa the next day. As expected when the other's returned Aang was happy to help his friend and agreed to let him take Appa out for a flight with the Northern Tribe Princess. With everyone's plans for the next day set, they all slept through the night.

~~~~
In the morning Sokka split from the group to take Yue for a flight while Katara and Aang, with Haruko in tow, went to meet with Lumikki. While the others trained Haruko relaxed near by, allowing a small fireball to move, or flow, between her fingers. It was an exercise her mother had taught her to increase focus and concentration. It was her way of staving off boredom as the others trained, because if she lost focus for even a second she could easily burn herself. Every now and then she would look up from the little ball of fire to see what was going on with Aang and Katara's training to see how they were doing. One such time was when Aang made himself a snowman, which cause her to laugh and lose enough concentration that her mini-fireball bounced away. "oops..." she exclaimed as she pulled it back and put it out. With a sigh she stood and was about to join the others when she noticed the grey colored "snow" and frowned as she held out her hand. When some of it fell in her palm she ran her thumb over it and realized exactly what it was in an instant. "Ash mixed with snow...." she said in a low voice before turning to the others.

"The Fire Nation is here!" Haruko and Sokka yelled at the same time. The latter had just returned with Appa and was landing next to the group. Yue following him as he jumped down from Appa.

"How many Ships?" Haruko asked as she clinched her fists.

"Hundreds, it's the biggest fleet I've ever seen." Sokka replied grimly.

"Zhao...." Haruko said as she looked out towards the horizon. The Fleet couldn't be seen yet, the only sign of their presence was the falling snow-ash mix signally their impending arrival. "They'll be here by this evening...." Haruko estimated based on the amount of ashy-snow. However, if Sokka was right about the size of the fleet, there was really no way to be sure.

"Come on, we have to warn the Chief!" Sokka replied, to which Haruko agreed as they started towards the Palace. Despite the situation and the urgency in Sokka's actions there was a clear tension that had formed between Sokka and Yue since the last time Haruko had seen them together that morning. Sokka was all business, but Haruko could tell he was hurting on some level, she could read the emotion so well, because it was one she had felt often after her betrayal. She guessed Katara would notice as well, since she knew Sokka the best of them all.

Last edited:
Lumi stopped Haruko. "How strong is your faith in your bending? Enough to turn water to steam? Or rather fog is my plan. Pea soup thick. That way they'll run into our iceberg barriers because they can't see them.... I'm going to need at least two more strong waterbenders I can trust to pull it off... And Pakku most assuredly isn't one of them." She wasn't thinking. She had two. Two she was teaching what was the equivalent of icebending to an outsider. She waited to hear from Haruko before continuing on to the Chief, encouraging Haruko she had it in her and Haruko was the Northern Tribe's trump card.

By the time they caught up, the chief had been told. Yue was there so it could be assured she had said something as well. "I have a plan we can implement now. While they're still far out to sea."

"This should be entertaining." Pakku scoffed, arms folded.

The Chief scowled his direction. He was continually losing favor when Lumikki was proving herself capable time and again. "What is this plan of yours?"

As Lumikki explained it, Pakku roared with laughter. "If your plan depends on the weak firebender... We need a full frontal assault the moment we see them. Besides. The idea keeps us from seeing them."

"Why do you continue to criticize EVERY female?! What did we ever do to you?!" Katara shot, before shutting up to let Haruko have a say.

The Chief spoke first. "I have half a mind, Pakku, to let the firebender and you battle, but since time is of the essence, and we need every available BENDER that is on our side, regardless of element, she will just verbally tear you a new one. Have at it, young lady. Especially if you can help implement Lumikki's plan."

Haruko paused as Lumikki stopped her and heard her plan, "I mean I can... but not on that scale. Were you not listening when I said a small fireball was the extend of my bending right now. Sure I can generate heat and keep warm, but I don't have the will to bend fire on any kind of large scale. You shouldn't depend on me for bending." she replied before she started towards the Palace once more. All she could do was listen as Lumikki still gave her plan despite what she had told the Waterbender moments before. She didn't even had a response when Pakku to a stab at her then mentioned his own plan. Haruko turned a glare on Lumikki for putting her on the spot like this, even after explaining she probably couldn't do it. There was a long pause after the Chief put her on the spot as well, as if expecting her to have a retort. She expected Aang, Katara, or Sokka to speak up for her, they knew she didn't have the will to bend and why, but everyone was silent as the room turned to the lone Firebender.

"Pakku is right.... I can't bend on that scale right now.... I mean I can try, but I haven't had the will to bend since I was imprisoned and tortured by the very soldiers I once commanded, just because I protected a defenseless village. I will try, but you should make other plans.... you can't count on me right now..." she finally said, it was clear it was very hard for her to admit that. With her peace spoken she turned and left the Palace, she was angry at herself for admitting her weakness, she was mad at Team Avatar for not standing up for her, and she was mad at Lumikki for not listening to her in private. Of course she would do what she could, she didn't want to see the Fire Nation win anymore then the others did. She didn't go far, leaning on a wall overlooking the city from just outside the Palace, they would need her, and she knew that, even if it wasn't for her bending, but her knowledge of the Fire Nation's tactics.

"Look, regardless of the plan we need her help. She might be struggling to bend right now. But her knowledge of Fire Nation tactics will be invaluable against them." Sokka spoke up for her even as he volunteered for a secret mission that the Chief had. He doubted Pakku would admit that based on his past comments about Haruko and Katara, but he wanted to point it out so the others might act on it.

Back
Top Bottom