Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Life of an RP’er

Writing with an extremely talented partner:
95% of the time: Wow, such a great post! I can't wait to respond!
5%: You fucking asshole. Just had to show me up, didn't you? How in the hell am I supposed to respond to that?

Writing with an extremely talented partner:
95% of the time: Wow, such a great post! I can't wait to respond!
5%: You fucking asshole. Just had to show me up, didn't you? How in the hell am I supposed to respond to that?

Lmao I feel this on every level. I would be sitting there tapping my fingers either against each other or against my lips in deep thought and then writing and rewriting and sometimes re-rewriting a paragraph or ten because you don’t think it’s good enough to volley off of your partners. Hence it would sometimes take me hours to write a return post.

I can’t be the only one.

Looking for a drawn art/animated/cosplay faceclaim:
image0.gif

VS.

Looking for realistic/celebrity faceclaim:
image0.gif

Last edited:
I'm the opposite @SoftWhispers . But yes, those exact faces articulate the emotions perfectly. Just flip them between the two.

Everyone has their preference I guess, it’s just super weird for me, it’s hard to explain, but just looking at someone’s picture and trying to trick my brain into being like “yeah, that could be me.” It’s just odd for me to do, but you could say the same about drawn images, and probably look more sane because of it.

Relevant.
326.jpg

I don't understand. Do you rp as yourself? I don't ever think of it as "this could be me". It's "this would be a good/fun looking character." In any case, I think it could be a disconnect between people who watch more film and tv versus people who watch more anime and cartoons. I cannot visually connect to cartoons being and moving in a world I've created. Not the way that an actor or model I can. Not that I never watch anime at all but that I watch, by far, more tv and movies. So, seeing things in the real world is where my visualization for characters is.

I guess that was a poor way to word it, no I don’t RP as ‘me’, I guess I meant more the character I’ll be playing. I also like how themed you can search drawn characters to match a certain RP, granted cosplay images can do that pretty well to some degree. There's no right or wrong answer, and it's an interesting topic with reasons ranging from "Regular people are uninspiring and boring" to "My specific mindset makes it easier for me to project emotional and characterization traits onto a character image rather than a photo of a person because of how set in stone their physical appearance feels and how I mentally perceive them as already having their own character."

Could also be the type of RP we do, I'm not usually one for slice of life RP, and when I am, they're not human, and when they are, they aren't "actual" people. Different Strokes/Folks

That moment you lose inspiration in an rp and are trying to regain that desire to get back into it and your DM is passive aggressive as hell assuming your other RP’s are automatically more important rather than just having a lack of inspiration for your current rp.

This gave me secondhand anxiety.

I think in the argument of drawn faceclaims vs. photos, I prefer drawn work for a few reasons.

1. As an artist myself, I gravitate toward that sort of thing in the first place. In fact my most preferred method is to draw the character myself if I'm going to use a faceclaim at all.

2. Drawings feel more fictional. Because they are art, only able to symbolize things and are not truly "real" I feel it is easier to imprint my ideas upon them. Photographs are real people, (who frankly most of the time aren't portraying much of anything other than "look at me!") and it feels like I am laying something on top of someone else.

3. I'm usually looking for a feel rather than just a look. What they're wearing, expression, what's in their hands, the color tones all need to make me feel like they could be the character I'm trying to portray. Most photos I see are just glamour shots, and rarely do photo manipulations fit my ultra specific criteria.

4. I hate real people! You're all awful. c:

I've always been on the Art side of the Art vs Photo debate. Though the one time that really sealed the deal was for an incest themed RP I was planning with someone. They said 'Hey are you okay if the aunt looks just kinda normal?' Little confused but I say 'Sure i suppose'. Then they send me a link to a gallery of pictures that seem like they were ripped from some rando middle aged woman's facebook. Not like a model or anything that showed the pictures were staged in some way. Shit weirded me the fuck out.

But hey you do you I suppose. I don't like to be super realistic and since my biggest inspirations for making characters come from fighting games, Artwork tends to fulfill that role quite well.

Goodman summed it up pretty well.....except I don’t watch anime myself.

I used to be artistic, and I love the artistic world, however.....anime, manga, drawn images, cartoons, do nothing to....turn me on, shall I say. They just do nothing for me in the visual, world building, RP creating way.

I prefer using actresses and actors over any other form of entertainment for the simple fact that.....they already wear other faces and personas. I mean, they literally do so for a living. So it’s not much of a stretch to create a character around their look. And I like to use more well known celebrities because there are a plethora of images to choose from. If I want to use a particular gif with a certain facial expression, usually I can find it. Then again I also use textual description along with the images.

It might shock some people here that I, a bisexual switch, goes both ways on this topic. ;) I like to match the tone and feel of my face claims to the rp. I do a lot of fantasy stuff, and for those I prefer illustrated characters, just for the sheer volume of choices, versus what I could choose from with regards to actors and actresses. In a more modern, comptemporary rp, I would pick photos, just to be a better fit. But I also like fan casting my characters, even ones i've already established an illustrated face claim for.

It might shock some people here that I, a bisexual switch, goes both ways on this topic. ;)

Speak for yourself. #notallbiswitches ;P

I land pretty firmly in the real pics camp myself. For me writing and roleplay is an escape from reality into an alternative world, so while I don't roleplay "myself," per se, I like to imagine and co-build a world I can picture myself in. So for me that requires real people. But I, too, like to fancast my characters. I think I may have changed Jenny's faceclaim like three or four times because of this. lol I can occasionally get on board with art so long as it's done in a realistic manner (that is, not anime...but maybe that's because I never really got into anime). But mostly I like pics of real people.

Considering playing as an insect based monster girl and wondering what my own genitals would even look like:

Math.png

The NSA watching my next 10 minutes of google searches:
image0.gif

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pretty sure my historical and societal (and sociohistorical) research has me on several lists somewhere... >.>

“What do you like to do during your time off”

“I like to write.”

“Oh cool, what do you write?”

“...Love stories”

When you and your partner are RP’ing a fight scene, but you’re both afraid of god modding so neither of you make decisive blows.

image0.gif

Back
Top Bottom