Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Game of the Gods (Beautiful_Disgrace and I)

B

Broomhandle45

In a perfect mortal world, things had gotten better. The Captain of Palutena's Guard, Pit...had defeated Medusa and Hades for good (supposedly). Faith was at an all time high, as it usually was when such catastrophic problems were resolved by clear and resolute aid of a higher power. But all was not well in Skyworld, that much was clear. The balance was gone, nonexistent...for the most part. Hades had ruined it on it's own, but no matter how much people wished for darkness to be gone...if there was light, there had to be darkness. There was not enough to be had.

Dyntos had commanded the presence of all to appear at Skyworld, but there were precious few left. The wizened old god, frail looking...but not frail in anything else, stroked his long beard as he stared at Palutena, and Pit. Pit's wings shifted somewhat nervously, the old man looked weak...but far from it. His power was absolute, more than anything else in the world.

"Well," Dyntos murmured, casting an eye across the room. Viridi, Thanatos, Pandora and Palutena...they were it. But it was not enough. "Since the boy has defeated Hades and Medusa is gone, we cannot simply start over." Which would have been far easier than what this would turn into, no doubt. "The balance is off, by a lot." he sighed, scratching his bald head. "Pandora can only do so much on her own."

"She's been doing enough," Pit grumbled, arms crossing. "Too much, if you ask me. I don't like snakes in my bed, you know."

RE: The Game of the Gods

"Oh, stop whining. Snakes are excellent at cuddling and you looked lonely." Pandora told him with a flip of her long, beautiful hair and a devious grin. "Anyways, I think I've been doing rather well. Besides, what's the worst that can really happen if we don't fix this supposed problem? If the answer is more calamity, then I'm all for that."

"Hmm," Palutena seemed deep in thought as her fingers rested against her chin. There really seemed to be only one way to fix this and she didn't like it....

"Oh great, Palutena's probing that big brain of hers for a solution. We're going to be here all day." Viridi commented as she rolled her eyes. Why was she even here, anyway? She wasn't the one who screwed everything up.

"Well, I think that there is plenty that we can do to maintain a good balance!" Thanatos crooned easily. "I was in the middle of so much fun before that middling little chicken and his owner decided to ruin it!"

"Hey!" Pit frowned. "I am not a Chicken! I kicked your butt once, and I can do it again!"

"Bawk-Bawk, Chicken scratch," Thanatos said, his rubbery, blue lips pulling back into a wide smirk.

Dyntos's hand summoned his massive hammer, and everything went quiet in an instant as he scratched his long beard. "You fussy kids and yer' blabbin...can't an old man have some peace and quiet? If things were to continue to their natural course, there would have been no problem...but there cannot be light without darkness. The Goddess of Light still lives, but the Goddess of Darkness does not. Death and Chaos are only two parts of a whole. A third must be made to complete it. There is a large imbalance...one that death and chaos cannot provide."

"So then we all know what to do here," Pandora said as she casually floated around Palutena and Pit, slipping her hands back behind her head. "We just need to get rid of the Palutena, problem solved! She's getting old anyway, she can't compete with the younger Goddesses these days."

Palutena's train of thought was interrupted the moment she heard the word "old" come out of Pandora's mouth. "Don't make me order Pit to defeat you again and turn you back into the evil blob that you really are."

"I'll just put even more snakes into his bed, and yours!" Pandora shot back. "I like my body, I have arms...if you take it away, how am I suppose to drive my favorite vehicles?!"

"Enough!" Dyntos said, his voice booming through the entire sky in warning, the clouds rumbling their thunder. Pit's wings drooped a little and he took a half step behind Palutena. That old guy was scary when he got impatient. "All of you, quiet! If you had some patience, I'd explain what I'm doin' to fix it!"

"Yes," Thanatos huffed, looking every bit like a fat, smug turkey. "You're causing just so much trouble for Lord Dyntos!"

Pandora sighed and then left Palutena and Pit alone. Stupid old man ruining her fun...he was so scary though!

"So what do you plan to do about this?" Viridi asked in a slightly annoyed tone, ignoring the fact that her heart was racing from..slight intimidation. His voice was so loud...and they all were being so stupid. She wanted to hurry up and leave already.

"Hades caused too much trouble, so...while I put up a help wanted sign for a new ruler of the Underworld, there is only one thing to do," he said. "Medusa must return."

"What!?" Pit said in surprise. "Are you kidding, old man!?" After everything they had done, he'd bring back one of the problems!?

"Boy, I ain't old enough to bend you over my knee," Dyntos grumbled. "Yes, like it or not...there must be a balance. Without a balance of Light and Dark, everything will cease to coordinate, Nature will wither away, Chaos will turn into Death, Death will turn into nothing, and we will be right back where we started, with not a thing in the Cosmic Sea."

"I thought you'd say that." Palutena stated with a less than thrilled tone, sighing heavily. She knew Pit would be upset too, and why wouldn't he be? Defeating Medusa twice was hard work.

"I don't want to turn into him," Pandora shrieked as she pointed at Thanatos. "My beauty will turn into nothing! Nothing at all! Bring back Medusa! Quickly, I can already feel my skin turning green!"

"What does that mean!?" Thanatos said, eyes bulging from the indignation. "You're not even half of the beauty I am, honey! You couldn't charm a moss covered rock!"

Dyntos sighed heavily, rubbing his forehead a moment before a portal opened up, and out came...a machine man, of sorts. His body rotating and casually locking, like a statue brought to life.

Begging your pardon, A refined, cultured voice came from the youthful, stone faced machine. But I will require a moment of silence to summon the Lady Medusa,

"This is Janus," Dyntos said cheerfully. "My own personal creation! He is the God of Beginnings and Ends....and doors+."

"...Doors?" Pit blinked, glancing at the robot up and down. Wait, he could do that!? Make gods?!

Pandora gave Thanatos an angry look, though she was sort of interested in this knew "God" that Dyntos had made. She narrowed her eyes at it. He could just summon the dead back? "He does look like a good door stopper." She commented in a spiteful tone, but she hushed herself so mean old Dyntos didn't yell at her again.

"Oh man, that sounds awesome. I've gotta see this! Everybody keep your mouths shut so it can concentrate!" Viridi said excitedly.

Palutena was interested too...it was something she had never seen or heard of. It wasn't often that Dyntos just created Gods...

Janus' chest and forearm plates clicked back as his face seemed to swivel and turn to the visage of an old, wizened man. He moved his hands in a slow, dizzying pattern before a globe of energy appeared and he thrust it forward, it slammed into the center of the room, and widened. The aura around the portal darkened, crackling energy sizzled the air as Pit blinked in surprise as Janus floated over and shot into the portal like a bolt of lightning.

There was a pause, before Dyntos looked rather smug with himself.

"...Give it a moment," he sniffed. First try, too!

"Flashy." Pandora commented with a bemused tone.

"Amazing!" Palutena said with awe as she walked around the portal from a safe distance to study it. Viridi kept herself silent as she waited for Janus to return...along with Medusa.

"...This doesn't look like a door I know," Pit said, following Palutena around warily as the portal ominously cracked and hummed. Eventually, however...there was the rumble of noise as Janus emerged, no worse for the wear as he floated down, and gracefully extended his hand into the portal, where a fair skinned returned for her to step through. Pit didn't like this...one bit. How was this going to help anything?...Wait, didn't Medusa have weird, snakey skin?

Apologies for the sudden trip, my lady, Janus said politely. It was quite short notice..

Medusa in all her former, beautiful, Goddess-like beauty stepped out of the portal. There were no snakes in her long raven locks that fell passed the small of her back. Her eyes were no longer snake like in appearance, but they were a piercing light blue color. So light that they almost looked clear. She was wearing plain, off white robes...she didn't look like the Medusa that Pit knew. Palutena pursed her lips in apprehension the moment she saw her. The curse was gone. Which meant that Medusa was possibly as strong as she once was before Palutena defeated her...

Medusa was too distracted with herself to even glance at anyone in the room. She lifted her hands up in front of her face and stared at them blankly. She had no idea what she looked like now...was she finally back to normal? Was she no longer a monster? Yes...she could feel it. She could feel the power she once held within her grasp, but not quite. No, she was weak right now from her resurrection. But it wasn't like before...like last time where she couldn't remember what happened and why she had come back. No, this wasn't like the work of Hades.

As the portal disappeared, she looked up and saw Palutena and a grin spread across her face. Her eyes then glanced at Pit. She then started to laugh. At first it was quiet, but then it became louder and louder as she felt the joy spread through her when she fully realized what was going on. Eventually she stopped cackling and then lowered her hands to her side. "It would appear that I've been brought back again...this time in all of my former glory...I suppose I should question why..."

"Starting to wonder that myself," Pit groused. Wow, she was...really, really pretty. Not as pretty as Palutena or anything, but...pretty.

Pardon me, Janus interjected. His face rotating back to the more youthful version. If I may, the balance between Light and Dark has been far too unbalanced, the loss of Lord Hades and Lady Medusa would begin a potential downfall of everything if it is not maintained.

"Indeed, " Dyntos murmured. "The balance must be maintained, and you are the safer bet than Hades...since we are so concerned with keeping everything as is," he sighed. He just wanted to craft, however...crafting Janus was a wonderful challenge, it brought the fire back in his blood! "So, Medusa...I grant you all the powers that you were originally given, so that you may maintain the balance of Light and Dark." he said, extending his finger as it glimmered with cosmic power. "But...there is a catch."

"Let me guess..." Medusa began as she turned towards Dyntos. "Do I have to leave the humans alone? No more burning of crops? No more invading cities and making pretty statues?" She asked with a smile. She would never feel sorry for that, but...she could deal with that condition so long as she still got to have fun...

It gave her immense pleasure that they realized they needed her.

"Come on!" Pit huffed. "She's not even sorry! Why are we allowing this in the first place? She's just as evil as she was before! We could find a million other gods! Or you could make a new one!"

"Quiet, boy," Dyntos sighed. "You should respect your elders, you and Palutena are goin' to be circlin' each other like a pair 'o hawks. And since if there is nobody left, there is no gods...there is another way. Light vs Dark, the Game of the Gods."

"It always has to be about Medusa and Palutena, doesn't it? What about Chaos vs Death? Or Chaos vs Nature? Or Chaos vs-."

"You just want it to be all about you." Viridi interrupted as she glared over at Pandora. Sheesh, what an attention whore!

"Game of the Gods...why don't you do us all a favor and explain yourself, Dyntos?" Medusa asked, ignoring Pandora's outburst. She had never been too interested in anyone other than Palutena...

"I'd also like to know what that entails..." Palutena stated as she glanced over at Medusa. A game...would a simple game be enough to keep her from terrorizing others?

"Simple," Dyntos grinned widely in amusement. "You and Palutena will fight for your dominion, for every win, you are granted a wish that I will allow. Janus shall provide everything you need. You may choose your champions from those who are suitable, but your chicken will always be your Captain, Palutena...which means that Medusa needs to find one of her own. Should you win a match, you may push your agenda as Goddess forward...but ah, keep in mind that the mortals may not always enjoy such a rapid change, hmm?" he cackled.

"Your team will be awarded for their Valor, as well! And I will craft everything that is needed to make it fair!"

"...Is he serious?" Pit said in exasperation. "We're going to beat the snot out of each other and that's going to help?"

A safe way to maintain balance without the mortal realm losing faith in the gods, Janus supplied helpfully. Those who are of the Light and Dark will be acceptable candidates, I am capable of summoning any and all who are able, you must first seek them out, Lady Palutena, Lady Medusa.

"Mm," Dyntos murmured. "And they will have their own dreams and wishes, that you should allow, should they perform admirably."

Medusa started to cackle again, her eyes lighting up in interest. Palutena frowned. While it might not be...the most desirable way to maintain balance, it was the best way.

"I accept. Getting to humiliate Palutena over and over again by crushing her pitiful forces sounds fun." Medusa glanced over at her rival, who only just smiled in return.

"May the best Goddess win, Medusa." She said politely. She wasn't going to give her the pleasure of a reaction.

"Which is going to be us," Pit said firmly, arms crossed. "Like usual!"

"Your chicken always did have spirit," Dyntos sighed. "Say, where's that other chicken? The one with the dark feathers?"

"Pitoo won't be found unless he wants to be found." Viridi stated with an exasperated sigh. "I had a deal with him and everything, he was going to be apart of my forces of nature. But then he just poofed! Disappeared! Leaving a lady high and dry like that! Jerk!"

"Hmm.." Medusa always did like that boy. Perhaps she could try to persuade him again. Maybe he'd like the idea of going against his other half. "I have work to do, I assume I am free to go now?"

Please remember the rules that lord Dyntos has provided, Janus said helpfully. Should you need any assistance, I am available to both of you,

"Ah, this'll be fun!" Dyntos grinned. "I have so much crafting to do!" he cackled, heading right away to his forges.

"I think this is about his crafting than maintaining balance..." Palutena muttered as Medusa disappeared. Hmm, she seemed quite ready to go after Pitoo was mentioned. If she knew Medusa, which she did, she'd be going after him first.

"Well, anyways...Palutena. Let me know if you need any assistance. I'd be happy to lend you some capable soldiers. All you have to do is say pretty please." Viridi grinned. "It's more for Pit anyway. He's going to need a strong team to back him up."

"I appreciate that. I'll see what I can conjure up as well...I just need to do a little research!" Palutena's smile was a little bit more determined than it ought to be...but she wasn't going to let Medusa best her.

He had thought about Viridi, but he honestly didn't think too much about being weighed down by another bossy Goddess. Maybe he'd go back to her and feel sorry, maybe he wouldn't. The mortal world was recovering, and he supposed he had a lot to think about. Mostly, he...he missed her. In a weird way that he couldn't quite figure out, maybe because he stupidly thought that she was earnest in that he'd be free if he helped her...but now that was gone, he wasn't sure what 'freedom' was. Was this freedom? Being able to find some perch on a mountain somewhere, fly where he wanted?

No, he didn't feel...himself. But he didn't know what to do about it, so he found it content enough to brood like a moody child, away from everyone else until he could get his life sorted out, if that was ever going to happen

Back
Top Bottom