Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

Jeziah nodded curtly, "Of course. I've met the clan and never had troubles. A few might still recognize me. But we will not tally, or stop anywhere for too long. I hope to use this time to protect and teach Sera the rest, before its too late. I'm not as good a swordsman as...as Octavia, but one of the clan members is, and trained Octavia. I hope they can bring that training out of Sera, remind her of what she knows. And I hope a final goodbye might give her peace."

~

Arya didn't flinch back this time. She didn't have the will too, again feeling that small spark within her telling her this felt good. She ignored it again, but she let him brush away her tears and heal her cheek, grateful for the help.

"Only you," she corrected, starting to see that he was truly meaning well - for the time being. He even got her lips to twitch almost in a smile from his compliment, although to make Arya smile was a feat in itself.

Her eyes shot up when he explained the deal with Nickens, then grew darker with hate and rage.

"They planned this?!" she snapped, her nostrils flaring, "Who Narxis?! Who made this deal!"

She wasn't yelling, or even moving from him. Her body still trembled from the loss. Only her voice and her eyes showed signs she was enraged at this betrayal. She growled at the name, recognizing it barely, but knowing it was the name of a demon.

"What weapons? The only weapons in existence that can harm me are angelic, and no hellspawn can touch such a weapon without being burnt. Same goes for the angels with infernal blades. Who is he Narxis? Who is this Asteroth? Who...who took her from me?!"

Elaya nodded sighing. "When she gets back, she and I are going to work on unarmed combat with Gerry...but alright brother.." Her eyes came up. "Both of you come home to me. Understood?"

~

Narxis gently lay his fingers over her lips. He didn't like doing it, but he used his power, lot as flagrantly, but enough to get her attention. "Arya i need you to listen carefully. And not react."

He sighed, then removed his fingers. "Astaroth is the Grand Duke of Hell. Meaning he is the one who sits the throne of Hell whenever Lucifer isn't there. Ba'al was the torture master. Astaroth is the regent. He was the third most powerful in Hell, by sheer status and title. In true power he ranks below even archdemons."

He gently touched her cheek. "But he's clever. Far smarter than the other princes, especially Ba'al. Everything he does has a reason, then twenty more hidden within. So you cannot assume you can't just take him, or get him to fight like Ba'al did. Astaroth doesn't fight. he outthinks his opponents. And he has spies everywhere. So please mind your tone."

He made it clear he had no respect for the demon Prince, but she could still be badly hurt by any prince, and he would not have that. "His one true flaw is his security. If he even thinks you are threat, he'll kill you. As to the weapons, well...Astaroth was one of the fallen. he managed to keep his and several other angelic blades, along with other divine weapons. he has spent millenia crafting imposters, but also in selling or lending out the real ones. And the imposters are good enough that you cannot be sure unless you get stabbed. but he also has other tricks and weapons up his sleeve. he gave out hunting lances, wingwheels, and several other weapons just for killing Dragons. Now so you know Nickens just agreed to the deal and the weapons, not to the details. he didn't and doesn't know what Octavia is....was. He doesn't truly know who or what you are. But part of the deal is information sharing. So anything Astaroth knows, or learns, asusme Nickens will get it. So best not to speak aloud unless we must. And here isn't the best place. Let's go back. You can have another go at your bath, rest up, and we can work on what to do about the Master. Alright?"

He smiled encouragingly, and stroked her hair softly. "You know...other than Elaya, i don't think i would want anyone coming after me less than you. If the two of you start working together truly...that will be something. Both such excellent hunters...." And idea was forming in his brain, but it had not yet coalesced enough to discuss.

"Understood sister." he spoke, promising her their safety and their safe return.

~

Arya wasn't just caught in the way his finger pressed to her lips, although she had to admit, there was something deeply personal about it, something no one had quite done to her before. No, she was caught up in the way he looked upon her, his voice holding no malice, only knowledge. She had heard of this man before, but it had been so long since she had truly been in Hell, that many names within her head had grown fuzzy or confused other than the Princes and the King himself. She nodded, too upset to put any effort into even saying a word back. Besides, he made fair points. And not talking was fine for Arya.

"A bathe sounds good," she whispered, knowing the blood caked on her cheeks and her chest should be cleaned, and time alone to grieve was needed, "But I cannot enter that ranchhouse, not with all those light folk. I am not as accepted as you might think."

She looked down, thinking to herself. The ghost town had been a great place to hide, but it was now mostly destroyed, and useless.

"Perhaps the town nearby..." she muttered.

Her eyes looked back up as he spoke and a look crossed her face of confusion, "Why would I come after you?"

"Good." She sat by Sera , laying the girl's head in her lap, then resumed stroking as she hummed another lullaby.

~

"i meant it as a compliment. I wouldn't want you chasing me. The fight would be intense."

He opened his wings and enfolded her again, then flew toward the ranch, then past it, to a surprisingly well preserved house deep in the forest and covered in ivy. He landed, then took her hand and lead her inside. It was furnished, though the furniture was old, much of it falling apart.

"I talked to the fae. This house was once the country home of some leader before the Crush. Now it's your's. "

He lead her up the stairs to a bedroom that was very plain, but had an actual bed, and just off it was a bathroom, with for a wonder running water. "The water is from a gravity well, out of a reservior. So use all you want. How hot do you want it?"

he gestured toward the filled tub. The water was clean as was the tub. "And what do you need? If anything?"

He would be staying in the bedroom downstairs. he would not press himself on her so soon after her only friend's death. "When you've washed, i have some maps and plans to go over with you when you are ready."

Now she understood. Before she could comment he enveloped them in his wings and for a second time that day she was pressed to his chest, wondering why she didn't push away or fight. She let him lift them though, and over the trees they soared until they landed at an abandoned house, long ago overrun with ivy. It was perfect to hide her, and well away from civilization.

She stepped in with him, following him upstairs to the room assigned to her. Just seeing the bath made her want to jump in and not emerge, wanting to wash the foul feelings and thoughts dragging her down. Even as he spoke she began to undress, dropping her dirty clothes on the floor near the bed and padding past him, wasting little time stepping into the hot water.

"It's perfect," she whispered, relaxing into it and suddenly disappearing under the water. Several seconds past before her head emerged, the blood washed from her face and neck. She rested back, looking out the door to him.

"I do not need anything more Narxis," she replied, looking away.

She waited till she heard his footsteps disappearing before she added, "Thank you."

He smiled, first at the sight of her body, then at her comment. "Very well. Do let me know if you do."

He gathered up her clothes, and hung a fluffy black robe on the door, then let her be while he went down to wash her clothes.

Here was one very odd thing about Narxis. he liked chores. Washing dishes, doing laundry, all of those things. They let him stay busy but also to think. But he also was good at them. So he took his time cleaning her clothes out until they were thoroughly cleaned, then had them float upstairs to the nightstand beside her bed, leaving her in peace, then turned to fixing up the house they would stay in until the battle was over.

Arya took her time bathing, and after an hour she got out of the tub, smelling clean. She brushed and braided her hair back, for once not letting it hang loosely. Drying her body off she found the black robes that were quite soft to the touch and she pulled it on, letting its warmth encompass her as she sat on the bed, lost in thought.

It took her hours to emerge from her room. She left in search of Narxis, still feeling raw. She had cried for hours, lying on the bed and mourning her friend. It was not normal for a deathhound to cry, but neither was it normal for one to have a human side, and she did. When she finally stepped out her blood red irises were rimmed with red from crying, her face slightly puffy, and her bed a mess from her tears. She hadn't the effort to clean it, nor done on any clothes, although she had seen they'd been cleaned and left for her.

Stepping down the stairs, she found Narxis and crossed her arms over her chest, blocking herself off more, looking like a wreck.

"You wanted to see me," she muttered, hoping this would be quick and she could hide once more. She wanted her revenge, and she knew she would get it. But for today she also wanted to mourn a beautiful soul.

He held out a tray with three still bloody fresh hearts on them. They smelled powerful. "A werewolf, a lower class magician with a really impressive elemental weaving, and a descended giant. Musts been eight feet tall. Eat. Gotta keep your strength up."

He sat on a simple tabletop now, watching her. "I checked all three for poisons and trapped. All clear. Enjoy." He smiled. "Are you ready to look at maps and such now?"

Arya stepped into into the kitchen, seeing the tray and sitting down, although there was no interest in her eyes. Still she took the first and ate it quickly to keep from making a mess.

"Thank you," she murmured for the second time that day, grabbing the second, "You were speaking about maps this afternoon."

Her voice was bland and emotionless, but there was a hoarseness to it, her throat raw from sobbing. She finished the second and the third and wiped off her hand with a napkin he had left, waiting for him to speak.

"Want any more?"

He moved toward a large case. "i have several maps of the Golden Hills, and their work places that could be useful, especially for such an able hunter as yourself. But only if you are certain you are ready. There is no rush to this."

He waited for her answer, letting her make the decision on what to do.

She shook her head, having had to force the first three down. She didn't feel like eating. She didn't feel like anything.

"Golden Hills...that's Nickens," she mumbled, more to herself than him, "Hunting...yeah. That's me."

It was obvious her heart and her attention wasn't in this, as she didn't seem 100% present. Her arms wrapped around her body again and her face blanked, unable to think or focus. Narxis could easily have told her anything and she probably would have nodded along, too caught up in her grief.

"No...rush..." she whispered, looking up finally at Narxis, having to tilt her head back to look at the taller man, "What...what should I do?"

He moved to her and gently took her hands, pulling her too her feet. "I want you to go have another bath. Let yourself feel what you are feeling. This will wait."

He opened the door to her room, and refilled and heated the tub. "When you are ready. Truly ready."

He started to leave, knowing she needed to grieve and mourn.

Arya had no fight in her to stop him. Numbly she followed, letting him make the decisions. As they entered her room he left her to draw a bath and she simply stood there, trying not to lose control of her emotions, turning further numb at the effort.

"Don't," she whispered as he stepped to the door, her eyes staring at the bath, unable to move forward. Her head turned achingly slow towards Narxis, showing the raw pain in her face.

"I don't want to be alone," she choked out, her body shaking, "Don't...go."

He turned and nodded, then gently opened the robe, then lead her to the tub, then picked her up and lay her in the tub, then sat behind the tub and washed her hair for her, even brushing it while it was wet.

As he did so, he discussed old gossip topics from hell. Which demon had fathered which monster, which one had mothered that one, and so on. Trying to fill the silence with a soothing voice. The subject didn't matter, but giving her something to let her brain carry away with.

She was thankful he took over, allowing her mind to unfocus as she went along, relaxing in the water. As he spoke, she listened, vaguely hearing him without saying a word. As he cleaned her hair she lay there in the water. At one point silent tears rolled down her cheeks but she said nothing, letting the water wash them away. At another point her eyes closed and she let herself drift in the void of darkness behind her eyelids, listening to his voice and nothing else.

He noted, and continued brushing her hair and talking, letting her be soothed and relaxed as long as possible.

He did worry where she would go when her rage would reemerge. When the time came he had plans for where to plant her and let her go mad with her justified rage. But for now he continued to rumble out banalities.

Rage and hate were the furthest things from her mind at that very moment. All she had were memories of Octavia swirling in her head, of their times spent together on the road.

"She loved lilies," she suddenly cut into his words, her voice echoing through the bathroom as she sunk lower into the tub, feeling worse, "She always...loved lilies. I think any flower really...she loved to sneak them into my hair..."

A tear rolled down her face and she sunk lower, until nothing but her head could be seen, he neck even submerged.

"He used to call me hellflower."

She was staring at the water, unfocused, but tendrils of her being slithered from the tub, the smoke rising in pillars and becoming shadowing shapes of a man and a woman. The man held a flower to the woman who looked unimpressed as she turned away with her nose up.

"Your like a flower, beautiful as always, yet your emotions can be so delicate," she whispered, talking not as herself but as the voice she could remember clear as day in her head, "And your like hell, because I've never met anyone as deadly as you Arya. I swear, some days I think hell lives within your viens, and your simply carrying it around with you. You are my hellflower. Always will be..."

The tears were coming down in streaks now, her voice shaking with the effort. The shadowy shapes had moved, the girl taking the flower while the man was patting her shoulder, obviously being the one she was quoting.

"He called me that every day, for a millenia. And everyday he was the only face I saw waking...and falling asleep. But humanity...humanity got to him first."

The man looked happy, laughing while the woman stood off to the side.

"He tried to teach me what he saw in emotions that I never did. He tried to show me what humanity had to offer. And I almost caved. And then...then he talked about leaving....leaving our master."

The man had turned and was grabbing the woman's arm, trying to drag her forward.

"He wanted us to be free, with no chains or bounds. And the moment he said it...they appeared."

Two more shadowy figured grew, one showing an uncanny resemblance to Baal, and the other to Lucifer.

"They came with their men, and they tore us a-apart..."

The shadow figures of Baal and Lucifer grabbed the man while hands shaped out of the woman and grabbed at her, forcing her back, holding her pinned to the wall.

"...they told us this is what happens to those who disobey..."

The Baal shaped figure suddenly pulled out what looked to be a long sword. With a back handed stroke he sliced clear through the man's head, decapitating him. Instantly that shadow dropped to the ground and disappeared, while the sound of soft echoing screams could be heard from the woman even though the shadow made no sound, as if the memory was producing its own noise. Arya was shaking in the water, clasping her hands together as she remained curled up with her knees under her chin, the tears falling freely and heavily.

"...they gave me a choice. Swear fealty and never think on that day or him again...or die..."

The woman fell to her knees as the hands let her go and the shadowy forms of Baal and Lucifer stepped forward, pointing the sword at her head. She rose to one knee and bowed her head, obviously swearing fealty. Just like that the shadows exploded and slithered back into the water, where Arya shook and sobbed.

"I...I had no choice. Baal cursed me that day when I swore fealty. Simply saying his name brought their attention. And Octavia..."

She shuddered, but the words fell out of her mouth now, like something she'd been dying to get off her chest for years.

"Octavia found me weeks later, broken, homeless, bloody and beaten on some road after being dumped by Baal's men once I...once my use was up. She cared for me, healed me, tended to my wounds. I grew to trust her and one day, I told her this story..."

The sobs were worse, but her voice was clear.

"...and Baal appeared. He planned to take my head and hers too, but Octavia gave him a better deal. A dragon under his service, working with his best deathhound on Earth. And he agreed, but he tricked her too. Stole her powers, leaving her nothing more but a husk with steam in her veins. For decades we did their bidding, trying to regain her power, trying to stay alive..."

She sunk her head lower.

"...and now she is dead. As is the bastard who took her from me. And I...I'm alone. I'm alone in a world where everyone I love gets taken. And I'm so...scared."

"

He reached into the tub and drew her out, onto his lap.

When she had begun he had fallen silent, and let her move as she willed. Now he held her close. "You are not alone Arya. I know just as horribly as you the betrayals of Hell."

He kept her tight to his chest as he sighed, his jaw atop her head. "How about I offer you a deal. Not as an Archdemon. But as a a friend. I'll watch your back, you watch mine."

He gently stroked her spine. "We can make Octavia even more proud of you than she already is. You know better than most that she is watching."

In Hell one of the many torments was to watch your friends and loved ones be hurt and attacked and even killed, usually because you had failed, or were dead, or the like. It was a horrible cruel game.

"Heaven allows them to watch as well. But without the torment."

The robe floated over to him and he wrapped it about her. "I won't ask whether you want to get Lucifer back. But do you want to get the boys who took Sebastion from you? The demons who helped Octavia's killers? Because I know where they are Arya."

He released her to look into her eyes, and to let her note the breath of fresh orchids hanging like ivy, adorning her hair. They were red, pink, yellow, purple, and blue. He looked into her eyes, waiting for her answer, his hands on her middle.

He did smile at the flowers. "I think they would both approve." As he spoke a bud open into a beautiful lilly blossom on his chest, then several more opened. He rumbled. "So you know it's a trick i learned from Reynault. Flowers are beautiful, but easy to grow with the right...power."

She was for once thankful when he drew her into his lap, needing that closeness to someone, anyone. The world had suddenly got much loniler. Curled in his lap, she let him rock and soothe her as her teeths falled slower, the ache in her heart tremendous.

"I can try," she whispered, not sure even her weak promise could be held with how little she felt like moving. She was glad though that out of everything, her friend ascended to heaven. She didn't deserve what the damned souls got, no matter what the dragonling had done.

"They are dead," she whispered out, a soft hate filling her voice, "I killed every last one that kept me from running to my...my...my brother."

She squeaked out the word, her throat closing in pain.

"And...and Elaya killed those who took my Arya," she continued after a minute of composing herself, "My hate is at Nickens now, for trying to kill us. The rest are damned and dead."

As she'd been speaking the flowers fell into her hair and she looked up, just realizing them. They smelt and reminded her of Octavia and the tears gleemed fresh, but she was happy he was trying. Remaining curled in his lap she rested her head on his chest, just needing the support.

"I hope they do too," she whispered, "Can we...can we stay like this?"

He nodded. "As long as you like Arya."

He tucked the robe tight about her feet, and dried her hair with a rush of Hellfire, that didn't touch the flowers at all.

Then he resumed rocking her. "And I did not mean those directly responsible. What about the ones who betrayed your brother to the Princes? I guarantee you they weren't there when he was killed. Astaroth's people don't work like that. And yes Elaya got the shooters. But not those that made it possible. That got them into position. That masked them from even Elaya's nose. That supplied them with the crossbows that killed Octavia."

He stroked her hair and neck softly. "They work for Astaroth Arya. All of them. And they will be helping Nickens."

He let that rest as he held her closed, stroked her hair and neck, the flowers near her face, letting her almost bath in their presence and fragrance.

Every word was true. The scroll he had given her would prove it. And he had more. Arya couldn't take on a Prince of Hell, least of all the Grand Duke. But with his help, she might be able to draw Astaroth into the jaws of Leviathan. And then she would have true revenge.

He somewhat disliked the idea. Astaroth wasn't much of a demon, but he ran Hell well. Narxis had always planned to keep him around. But if the choice came between Astaroth and Arya, and it was now, he would always choose Arya. She brought out the very best in him. he knew that already. He had never flown so fast, planned and moved so perfectly, and certainly not fought so well or quickly.

She also made him think better. And the more he considered, the more he knew that in the long run having Arya's loyalty, even if only as a friend, would mean a lot more than a trillion of Astaorth's promises. it would be safer for him and his plans, but also for Elaya and Sera, and Amitiel, and the others.

He squeezed Arya gently, realizing in full how much better every possibility was with her in it. And if he could touch that heart she tried to fight so hard...what else might come? He did not know. But he hoped to find out. He would not push too hard or fast. But he did know she was worth it. He could feel it.With his entire being.

So he held her. And let more flowers grow on his chest.

Her mind felt numb, and while she heard his words, it would easily take her a while to swallow and act on them, too focused on her friend's death. The smell of flowers enveloped her like his arms, washing any scent of blood or dust from her nose. Were this any other time, she'd have never allowed him to hold and rock her like this, but today she felt too vulnerable to be left alone. And he had done nothing but help and save her today, showing he was true to his word of being there for her. Would it last, she knew not and believed it wouldn't, but at least for today he had earned a fraction of her trust.

Slowly her breathing slowed as she relaxed further into his hold, letting him rock her to sleep. In the back of her mind she noted that no one had done this before, held her so close and simply rocked her to ease the pain, and she was grateful. Her eyes grew heavy as they sat there, and almost an hour passed of just silence, a comfortable one she needed, before she lifted her head a fraction and yawned wide, showing off her sharp canines.

Without a word she stretched her neck up and caught his chin with two fingers, tilting his head down. Acting on instinct, she had wanted to kiss his cheek in thank you but just looking at his handsome face and those concerned eyes softened her walls a little and she pressed her ever soft red lips to his briefly. Pulling back she caught his confused gaze before sliding back down, curling into herself more than before and resting her head on his chest. With a shaky sigh her eyes closed and sleep took her, nestled and resting within his arms.

~

When Seraphina woke Jeziah had packed up camp, and better secured Octavia within the blanket. He had sent the few things at thier tiny camp with Elaya, asking her not to be there when Sera woke. The teenaged phoenix was already heavily attached to Elaya, something that was good for in the future, but at this moment would only cause grief trying to convince Sera to come along, and leave Elaya behind for two days.

"Your not the boss of me!" she screamed, after Jeziah tried to both calmly and forceably tell her they were leaving for two days, "We need to find her killers! Not go to some lame clan!"

"Seraphina that's enough!" his parenting voice slipped out and she shut her mouth, "You are coming with me and that's final. We are not seeking revenge, we are saying goodbye to a old friend, the way she would want it."

"But Elaya..." she muttered feebly, trying to find some ground, mostly just acting like a typical teen not wanting to go along with the plan.

"Elaya has a group to watch over, and people to protect, and she knows we are leaving. It's only two days Sera. Now c'mon."

Octavia's body was still wrapped in the blanket, and encased in a spell that would protect her from the weather. As Jeziah shed his clothes he changed forms, becoming the tall, massive bird he truly was, fire breathing off his very feathers. He waited until Sera had done the same, her shape and size smaller due to her age and height. Then with his talons he carefully picked up the body and with one massive flap of his wings took off, Sera following in his wake. At their speed they reached the skies within seconds, soaring over the clouds until they too high to be seen as anything more than hawks. It would take them less than a day at this speed to travel to her clan, which was near the very southern shores of the continent. By sunrise they would get there, and by the morning after they would be on their way back, with the hopes Jeziah could get the two of the back safely before dinner.

~

Lairia felt a fraction better, although she was a little frazzled at finding out Octavia was dead, and killed no less by a demon. Other battles were upon them that had nothing to do with Nickens, and it worried the sorceress if this group would fare all of them. After getting back to the ranch house she let out the kittens, who were no longer all that tiny and small. Rhaegal had already put on about a hundred pounds, and for the small cub his head almost reached her hip, and she approximated he could be no more than four months old. Ebony was tinier, and growing much slower, having only doubled in size. It didn't help the blank panther cub that her mother was absent, something Ebony seemed to acknowledge and cry about at night when she was put in with Rythert alone. After the first night Lairia took her in, finding Ebony took some solace and comfort from Rhaegel. Still the black kitten moped most of the day, barely slept or ate, and continued to refuse any social activities. Tatia had been the only one to really bring any life out of Ebony, and now that she was absent, Ebony was resorting back to being fearful and depressed. Lairia had even mentioned it to Elaya, asking what she might do to help.

This afternoon though, Rhaegal was playing with the children, while Jamie monitored at Lairia's request while she tried to get Ebony to eat. The kitchen lay on the porch, her eyes sullen and her mouth clamped shut. After fifteen minutes Lairia sighed and gave up, noticing Elaya's arrival.

"Ebony won't eat, and she hasn't for two days," she exclaimed, standing and brushing her hands off as she nodded to Jamie, who called Rhaegal over and fell into step, knowing what Lairia wanted to do, "She's drank a little for Gerry, but he seems to be the only one who can get her to do that. If we don't get to Tatia soon, I'm fear the worst for Ebony. She's so depressed without Tatia. It's like they stole her only family away."

Rhaegal stepped up and purred as he rubbed his head on Lairia's hip, chatting at her.

"As for this one, he's doing marvelous," she smiled down at him, "But my worries are with Ebony, and of course Tatia. I was actually hoping I could...steal you for an afternoon. Jamie and I have something we'd like to show you but its outside the mountain pass, hidden. I know Jeziah and Sera have left...is Amitiel or Narxis available to watch the ranch for one afternoon?"

She was unaware of what was going on with Arya, as most of the ranch house was. She knew something had happened in the barn that morning, and she had seen the clouds and heard the battle which added to her worries about more coming to a head, but she and most at the ranch aside from the angel and Elaya were out of the loop, and probably purposefully so. She didn't mind, having her own tasks to worry about.

"I can promise, it is something you will want to see," Jamie spoke, having said only a few words to Elaya since he arrived two days prior. He kept out of the way mostly, helping with chores and only speaking to Lairia. No one bothered him as he bothered no one, and Lairia ha vouched that he was here to help against Nickens, because they needed as many fighters as they could muster.

Narxis had been very surprised by the kiss, but he had returned it. he knew that.

Now she snuggled against him again. He considered, then drained the tub, and stood, taking her into the bedroom, and sat on the bed. He covered them both with a blanket, and made sure a mound of pillows would help him support her, then resumed rocking her.

He had tried humming but it was just not him. But...he ignited some fires and they began to sing. It was an old trick from Hell. To make the flames mimic the dead to torment the souls near them. Getting them to to softly sing was no trouble. They had to burn energy somehow, and burning oxygen to create song worked as well as anything else.

He had not picked actual songs, just soothing harmonies of sound. He didn't know if Arya would like or hate these, but he did know it would help her sleep. He still didn't sleep. Wasn't part of his nature. So he watched her, and kept an eye and ear out for trouble. he doubted it would come.

Jeziah's wildfires still burned in most places, and the house was unknown and well hidden. And he had put up all sorts of wards and traps. So he hoped she would be safe for now. When the time came and his words truly clicked in her heart and mind he had little doubt her fury would be devastating. he also had little doubt he would catch some of it.

But he understood. Her brother? Her only friend? that's hard to handle, and even harder to accept and overcome. He'd have to be patient. But he already knew. She was worth it.

~

Before they left, Sera found a short note from Elaya.

"Go sweetheart. Do honor for your Auntie Octavia. Help her find her place. Then you come home to me. I'll be waiting for you.

Love,
Elaya."

~

Elaya had watched the Phoenixes fly off, and would not turn until they had vanished, then she turned to look at Ebony.

She sighed nodding as Lairia talked. "If I do what i am thinking of she'll be furious. And likely hate us forever. Oi Eagle-6!"

Gerry limped over. He was filling out again, slowly, but his easy grace would be a long time in returning. "yeah?"

"Try feeding Ebony again alright? I don't want to have to forcefeed her."

He nodded and went to first speak to and pet the large kitten. He talked about Tatia, assuring her they would find her mother, and rubbed all her favorite spots. Even as heartbroken as she was, the kitten could not resist his smooth kind voice, and purred, pressing against him.

She refused to eat, but she did lap up some liquid in a bowl.

Elaya smiled at this. "Broth. Clever bastard. Well...it's not much. But it's better than nothing."

She sighed. "We gotta get Tatia back...." She looked at the sorceress. "Alright let's go see this thing of yours."

Sera had found the note and swallowed the reassurance, although she still didn't want to travel across the lands. She just wanted to hide in the cave and cry, or find the bastards who did this. Neither were options she was given however. So off they flew, disappearing into the evening sky.

~

Lairia watched and felt grateful at least someone could get Ebony to drink. Elaya was right. They needed Tatia back.

"Jamie lead the way," she exclaimed and off they went, well on their way.

It was twilight by the time they exited the mountain pass and turned sharply right into the trees growing on the mountain slope. For another kilometre they walked, not arriving till nightfall. Lairia knew Elaya would not be able to smell nor hear a thing. It was her magic after all that covered and hide the clearing ahead, making it look like they stood at the edge of a great pit.

"Just one more step," Lairia encouraged, yet one more stepped would take them off the ledge, "trust us."

Jamie stepped first, but instead of falling he simply...disappeared. Next Lairia went and she too disappeared in a blink of an eye. If Elaya trusted them and took the step, she'd find herself not falling but stepping into grass, looking upon a hidden clearing that stretched for at least a mile. And swarming it were tents, tents and lanterns and...people.

"Vampires," Jamie explained when Elaya did appear, "All those who know my and Lairia story and want to eradicate the last of the Circle. All of them are here to fight."

"Elaya," Lairia turned and looked her dead in the eye, "I brought you an army."

Elaya sighed. "Thanks..." She studied the people, then shook herself and looked at Lairia. "I'm sorry. Thank you. Truly. But..."

She saw beings with scars, one even with a cross scar on his chest, and she could not stifle a choked sob. She gently took Lairia's hand. "I'm grateful. Beyond words...but... Reynault was your lover...but he was my friend for a long long time. His death just hit me again..."

She wiped away a tear and nodded. "Thank you Lairia. And thank you Jaimie. Do they have a leader or someone in charge I should talk to?"

She had no fear. Just sorrow. Rey had been so good before he had let magic and fear kill him, both his essence and his body. She remembered her Rey. Always would. And all these vampires...they moved like him. Talked like him. Damnit smelled like him.

Lairia was move by her compassion for Rey. It brought tears to her eyes too, the memory of her brief time with him a fond one.

"I am," Jamie nodded, "some of these men are my friends, others are men I've worked with, known, or just came from word of mouth. Nickens knows nothing of our presence here and we wish to keep hidden, so as to surprise him with the forces vowed to help you and your group."

Lairia nodded, "they follow Jamie's command and he will follow yours."

Jamie nodded, "we are at your disposal Lady Elaya."

Back
Top Bottom