Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

Octavia jumped at the sound of Narxis' voice and spun, then her eyes looked for Gerry but he had obviously slipped out. Arya was glaring daggers at the man, and moved away from the flames, refusing the help.

"My punishment is not yours to heal," she snarled and Octavia quickly looked to Arya then back at Narxis.

"She is right, and your knowledge of the bribes is no news to us. We know Lucifer's plans, just as much as we knew better than to try and interfere and get Arya killed, which seems to be your goal now."

Octavia pulled down the collar of her shirt, showing the pentagon tattoo over her chest, now healed, "I swore myself to servititude at Arya's side to protect myself and her from his goal's. And in doing so I protected my own clan, even at the risk of being banished. So don't act like we are fools. We are not."

"Octavia," Arya whispered, wincing as she continued to bleed, "We should leave. Baal's orders were to not speak to this one again."

"And you are not speaking," Octavia replied, "I am."

She turned to Narxis and rose, standing in his way of Arya, "We are leaving before you tell the group of what Arya did and get her killed. Is that not your wish? You put her in enough pain yesterday."

~

Sera looked up from her food and shrugged nonchalantely, "What is it? Maybe I do want it. Maybe I don't."

"SIT DOWN!!"

The order had not come from his lips, but it jolted the barn so hard that Octavia fell onto her butt.

He manifested. Not in the showy form he had used the day before. But truly. His darkness faded as six leathery wings sprouted from his back. An archdemon. A power of Hell.

He pointed at the pentagram tattoo. "You think that impresses me?" he looked to Arya, then snarled, speaking in the tongue of Hell. "You are a fool. the both of you. trying to play games with the powers of Perdition."

He let the flames engulf her, healing her wounds without asking. "Baal is a little boy burning ants. A weak fool who thinks his knives and tricks make him feared. He is a joke."

He moved toward them, filled with more unholy power than any save Lucifer himself. He crouched before Arya and hissed. "I bide my time because I know that Lucifer will fall. He is too stupid not to. he wastes talent. He betrays them without reason or cause. So I wait. And I gather souls."

His eyes moved to Octavia. "Your clan isn't safe. Baal is visiting them now. Or trying to. I paid for their protection." He dropped a seeing stone before her, showing a wall of warrior deities between her clan and Baal and his minions, who were demanding an egg for their master, only to be told, in no uncertain terms, to go fuck themselves.

He turned back to Arya. "Enough games." His wings reminded her that he was a power beyond her dreaming. Archdemons were angels who had allowed Lucifer to take the throne of Hell, but never truly power over them. Many were certainly equal to him. And Narxis was the child born of two such beings.

The few that had survived had always been immensely powerful, and always great threats to Lucifer's throne. None had lived as long as Narxis. With good reason.

Arya was already sitting at the command, so only Octavia fell and her eyes widened, her mouth clamping shut. She had not realized his power and her fear came for her friend, wondering if this would be their end here and now. She hoped if it was that Jeziah and Seraphina would be safe from such malevolence. This fate was one she would wish on no one else.

Arya fought the flames behind her but they did indeed heal her. She recoiled further into the wall, wishing he would simply leave her be. He had made it clear his interests were not in what her body had to offer, but in some twisted game of upending her entire existence by trying to make her question for master, if not her very being.

The two held their tongues and let him speak, acting like children being scolded. Neither had the bravery to speak against him, not with the power he surrounded himself with. Even Octavia was not that unwise. These weren't Octavia's secrets to tell, and she knew Arya had been bound by Lucifer and Baal not to think nor mention them ever again. Narxis seemed to care little about that obstacle though, or the fact he was jeopardizing the hell hounds life.

"I'm not playing any games," Arya replied, but softly, all power in her voice gone. She was in the presence of a superior hellspawn. She had been raised and bred to kneel and submit to such powers.

It was obvious Arya didn't have the fight in her to stand up for herself - a result of Narxis powers and the torture she had just endured no doubt- so Octavia stood back up and in Narxis way, deciding she was ending this here and now.

"I apologize for any disobedience you think we might have caused, and the chaos of our arrivals," Octavia kept her chin held high, meeting him with an even glare, "But we came to aid Jeziah, and we stayed with an offer to aid Elaya. At no point were we told we would be quizzed, or tormented for our life stories to amuse the lot of you."

Her eyes glowed with confidence now, her smoky grey irises tinged with a soft glow that made her look much more dangerous than her short stature or slim body held for her. She lifted a hand and pointed an accusing finger at his chest, pushing him back a little. Someone needed to show him they weren't scared, and it was going to be Octavia.

"We did not ask for this, for your blackmail, nor you spying," she continued, "Matter of factly, you are about the worst hosts I have met in a long time, treating your guests this way. You have caused Arya pain, me grief, and you seem bent on killing one of us by the time the day is done!"

Her voice grew in magnitude and the ancient sound of a true dragon was coming out, her eyes wilder than before, smoke starting to slither like tendrils from her mouth. She had always had sharpened teeth and small razor edged canines, but they seemed larger now than before and gleamed as she spoke.

"Now you will listen to one of the most ancient beings from this earth, and desist in your demon tricks NOW!" she roared, knocking him back another step, "Or I will show you what a true dragon's anger can be, and you can tell Elaya why even the Mother Dragon , blessed be, will never again speak nor aid your group, your people, nor the Metuzi again. Do you want a war Narxis?! Because by hell you are asking for one!"

Even Arya recoiled at the last statements, her eyes wide as she looked at Octavia's back than at Narxis with a gaze that almost pleaded him to stop. All of this could end, if the demon would stop snooping then and now.

"Octavia...maybe it's best we go," Arya rose slowly, flinching when those angry eyes turned on Octavia and she felt like a child cornered by her mother and about to get a lashing.

"And you," Octavia snapped and Arya grimaced, then shot a look at Narxis, "They welcomed us and you have ripping through these forests like it is your playground, killing hords without consent, causing chaos in your wake. Did you think you weren't going to attract attention? Did you think for a second the group and its people would not have qualms with your darkened ways. I accept you as what you are Arya, but there is a time AND a place and this is NOT it!"

"But-" Arya interjected and was cut off.

"I do not expect you to tell them anything. I do not even expect us to stay past today. But by the goddess herself, try and act civil in front of others for a change. You have thrown us into this predicament and we could likely have been killed!"

Arya had now been scolded...twice. And she still hadn't been able to say a word in edgewise. The powerful death hound felt a bit out of sorts with these two, and a part of her was rather confused, having never been paid neither this amount of attention nor been lectured in such a way that didn't involve torture.

"As of right now we are leaving," Octavia turned back again and spoke to Narxis, her eyes glowing and her mouth steaming, the dragon within her ready to fight if need be, "Our welcome has expired, and it be best if we made camp elsewhere until the battle I promised aid with to Elaya is done. You are not to follow us Narxis, nor to spy. If I see you so much as near Arya..."

She left it unfinished, allowing him to think up a suitable punishment. Arya opened her mouth to interject again, this time to tell her that was unnecessary. She didn't need a restraining order from Narxis, just space. But she knew better than to say anything now, knowing she was likely to get another earful when they were alone about her actions over the past few days, between trying to attack Lairia, to Amitiel, to aggravating even Narxis. Arya was terrible at being social. There could have been something there, with Narxis, although Arya was hard pressed to admit she had even thought that far. She would not even admit this to Octavia, but a part of her regretted destroying what could have been a new friend within Narxis. The only one on the plane of existence or any existence that seemed to care for Arya was Octavia, and as Arya was quite hard to swallow - as she had been told many times before- it had come as a small surprise to her that Narxis had wanted her company yesterday, or showed interest in her. But she was a being of chaos and destruction and she had done just as her nature predicted, destroying the newfound tenuous relationship she might have made.

Still, a part of her did want to explain one thing, and that was her masters. He just didn't understand, and a part of her wished he would. He couldn't see past his hate of Lucifer and Baal to understand where her loyalty stemmed from, and even if she could tell him the ultimate truth, it would come at the expense of her life. She wasn't loyal out of respect and devotion to her masters, but out of fear. A fear they had ingrained in her long ago.

When Octavia finished Narxis said one word.

"No."

It was flat, empty, and carried no power, but everything went quiet and silent, and all power was gone from the barn. he smiled, his fangs wicked razors.

"I applaud your courage Dragon. But you cannot harm me. And there is nothing to war against. I speak for myself and myself alone. To war against the Metuzi because of my deeds will call down even the deities upon yourself and your kind. Save your threats. i have heard better." He moved past her without concern and crouched before Arya.

"I am not your host. I am your watcher because i am the only one who did not trust the male fire's word. Elaya is not even your host. You presume too much."

He reached up and gently ran a finger back through Arya's hair, knowing it would bother hair, but also cleaning her hair as he touched it. "Arya I am impressed by your friendship with the Dragon. And I can see the fear in your eyes. The thing holding you back from what I truly want to know. So I will split the difference. Tell me of the binding between yourself, Octavia, and the two. Not the details of the incident or what have you. Instead i want to know what holds the four of you together. And stop sniveling."

He stood now, drawing the hellhound to her feet, then pushed a chair beneath her, pushing her down into it.

He then turned to Octavia. "You are brave Dragon. But you are rash. You threaten when you have no power. Never wise. If you are so eager to protect your friend, then do so. But you will remain here. There is worse than me upon this land. I have other business I must handle. So tell me what i want to know, then i will leave you be."

He raised a finger. "But never give me orders again Fire-Tongue."

(temporary post...depending on your response to my pm)

Octavia was about done with the demon. And the angel for that matter. Divine spirits always had an ego, and often refused to listen to reason, or even compromise. Octavia was trying her best to get Arya somewhere safe and alone and let the poor girl take a breath. She knew her friend wouldn't admit it, but today's transgressions had shaken her. Just thinking about Sebastian had made the deathhound cry, and there really was nothing in this world else that could.

At least the black hellfire dissipated. Octavia blew out a last breath of smoke and crossed her arms, unimpressed by his teeth compared to her own as her eyes swung to the still mute Arya, then back to the boastful demon.

"Will you stop?!" she interjected, not sure what it would take, "I have tried reasoning, I've tried to be polite. I tried being annoyed, upset, and now enraged. What must it take to get my words through your head Narxis? She needs not your help nor your prodding. Arya and I take care of our own, and our own is the two of us."

He was crouching in front of Arya and she flinched back, looking to Octavia as if this could not be more awkward. The girl lacked social structure, and the deathhound was at a loss of how to proceed without hurting someone, or starting to yell as Octavia had. A hiss suddenly left her throat as Narxis touched her hair and Octavia's eyes, which had been wandering, snapped back to them and she let out a warning growl, seeing her friend uncomfortable at the hands of Narxis.

"You are nothing to me!" Arya snapped, yanking her hand from him as he pulled her up and effectively falling into the chair he had pulled before she stood again and moved to Octavia's side.

His next words jarred Octavia and brought out a growl from Arya, who also seemed at wits end, her wounds healed to scars now, letting her focus on the argument.

"Don't remind me," Octavia snarled under her breath, unhappy to have such flaws pointed out to her. She was indeed eager to help and protect Arya, especially from the ignorant man before them refusing to listen to Octavia's reason, "I've seen worse and I think we'd take our chances Narxis. We aren't telling you anything, we can't!"

"Do you not see it?" Arya stated exasperatedly, taking three steps until she was between them both, "You are acting just like them! You are acting no better than my masters you continue to put down. All you demons do is see me as a weapon, a trophy. Even my masters. I am nothing more than an object of use to-"

She cried out in surprise and fell sideways as if something had hit her. Octavia caught her, lowering her gently to the ground. A giant red welt the size and shape of a handprint lay on Arya's cheek, although no one had hit her.

"There, is this your wish?" Octavia asked, glaring up at Narxis, but through the anger he would see the fear now, "You wish to kill Arya, yes? To push her to her limits and force Baal's hand in her destruction to keep our secrets. This is on you now. You hurt her."

Arya was shaking violently, holding her arm out to show a few of the scars were opening slowly, and probably very painfully, as blood began to seep from them, "He's furious Octavia. I spoke out again my masters. I deserve this."

"No," Octavia knelt over her, "No, no one deserves this."

Arya's eyes casted one glance at Narxis, something in her wondering if he was sneering like Baal always did in her dreams when he beat her. Demons liked seeing the inferior at their feet, and that was how she felt at that very moment in the barn, kneeling at Narxis' feet while Baal tormented her. Inferior to the man who held her hostage in this barn, inferior to the demon bent on ruining what small fragments she had left of a life. Inferior to the masters who tormented and beat her when she had a single thought against them. She glanced up at this man, and her eyes held all this pain, the torment, the fear, and the hate at once. Then she looked away, closing her eyes and gritting her teeth until the pain in her arm began to subside, the wounds closed and the red welt faded and she could breath.

"Arya, if we are to leave, I must make my goodbyes with Lady Elaya, Seraphina, and Jeziah."

Arya shook her head and when she spoke her voice seemed a touch weaker, her energy spent even after her feast the day before, "You gave them your promise Octavia. And a dragon's promise is not to be broken. You must stay and fight."

"But-"

Arya shook her head, tired of talking, tired of the amount of effort she had spent on this conversation, "I made no promises. I'm tough O. I'll find somewhere to bunker down and hide until this passes and we can carry on in our travels. Narxis did not lie when he spoke of Lucifer being busy. It is Baal he sent, and I have paid my price for my insolence. Within a week's time all will be righted again."

Octavia held her tongue, knowing what Arya meant. Within a week's time Lucifer and Baal wouldn't care what had happened and would send more contracts at them, as they normally did. Narxis had hit the nail on the coffin when he said there was no true caring of their masters for them. Both women knew, Octavia more so than Arya, but they also knew that agreeing out loud to such things would bring about their deaths in swift, unpleasant manners.

"Go," Arya pushed Octavia's hands away and gestured to the barn door, "I will send word to you when I find shelter."

"And him? He won't let you leave until he gets his answers," Octavia glared back at Narxis, still outraged at the disrespect from the man, not to mention the rudeness she had witnessed. She would be talking to Lady Elaya on the matter, and she hoped the werewolf would side with the dragonling, otherwise Octavia worried another fight would be on the horizon, and Octavia wanted to keep the peace with at least most of the group.

"Keep your hands off her," Octavia warned, rising and stepping to the barn door, not yet wanting to leave Arya. She almost felt like a mother some days with that girl. For all Arya's power, the centuries old woman knew so little when it came to emotions or people, or anything of humanity itself. Octavia felt obligated to protect her for that reason alone.

Opening the doors she slipped out and away, ignoring all eyes as she stepped into the trees, her direction heading straight for the encampment she had held set up for Jeziah and Sera. Meanwhile in the barn Arya had shuffled to her feet and moved several more paces away from Narxis, wanting her distance.

"There," she finally stated, looking to him, "My friend is gone. As you seem bent on getting under her skin, this is much easier."

She checked her arm, the scars now closed once more than to Narxis, "They know you are asking. Since the moment you presented me that...that flower yesterday, they've been in my head, hearing what I hear, seeing what I see. Making sure I don't break my promises. Not that I could even should I want to."

Her facade was gone and she was speaking to him plainly as a person, not as a deathhound and demon, nor as her superior, even if he knew he was. She just wanted this uncomfortable situation over so she could disappear and hunt, get her mind off the things troubling her.

"You want to know so much about a person you hardly know," Arya shook her head, "I've never met such a nosy man in my lifetime. I will tell you now, you will learn nothing from us. We owe you nothing, we know nothing of you. So there is nothing you hold on us to make either me or my colleague tell you."

She turned and took a step closer to him, narrowing her eyes, and her voice dropped a little lower, the anger seeping back in, "What is it then that makes you so bent on understanding us? That drives you to hurt me? To ask questions that would bring my death? Do you not believe us when we tell you we cannot say or I shall die? Or that the promises made when harm Octavia too if spoken. You do not see the magic tied so tightly around my neck, it is like a noose, waiting to be yanked? Your sorceress could not even unravel the binds of magic set around me."

She had kept walking up, until she was inches from him. Her injured arm moved up and touched his chest, the smell of iron heavy in the air from her blood. For a second it looked like she had forgiven him but then her hand became a fist and she shoved him back, her eyes darkening.

"Go back to your life Narxis. Got back to whatever plans you have in that traitorous mind of yours, and leave me out of it. I do not wish for your help, for I need none. Forget I exist. It will be best for us both."

For a second her eyes turned black and a cruel sneer most unlike Arya fell upon her face. It was Baal, revealing that he was there, and watching. Then she blinked and her eyes returned to red, the sneer dying in replace for a calm composure.

"Don't follow me, and don't ask others to. For once, try and do as a gentleman would and not spy, blackmail, or kidnap me," she moved to the barn door, "I answered your questions, and now I am leaving. Goodbye Narxis."

She opened the door and took a step out before looking back, her eyes a tad softer, "May we meet again for battle one day, and may our fight to the death be glorious."

And just like that she disappeared, leaving not a trace.

~

Octavia reached the encampment and was surprised, but happy, to see Seraphina having grown at least a foot and quite well into her teen years.

"Like a weed with you phoenixes," she smiled and Sera shrugged, looking to Elaya and holding out her hand.

"You said you had something for me Elaya. What is it?"

Jeziah stood up quickly and moved to her, a face of concern present, "Why are you visiting? It isn't safe to have too many travelling here, as you said. We don't want to alert anyone."

"I came to speak to Lady Elaya and you," Octavia replied, having calmed quite a bit in her walk and now her polite tone and manners were back, "It is on the matter of a member of her group who decided to torment and bully me and Arya this morning, and some of yesterday for Arya. As of now Arya has left camp and will be finding her own, waiting until my promise is met for you, Lady Elaya, and I can travel on."

"The big bad wolf lady is gone?" Sera looked over at Octavia, "Shit, I thought no one could scare off her that easily Auntie Octavia."

"Language," Jeziah warned Sera and looked to Octavia for a second before they both looked at Sera, "What did you call her?"

"Auntie Octavia," Sera gave them a funny look and then rocked her head to look at Elaya, "Why are they staring at me like that? Families are so weird."

She stood up and strolled off deeper into the cave to eat and Octavia shook her head smiling, "Guess the memories have started coming back. Perhaps I will give my lessons today than?"

"It might be best," Jeziah nodded, "But first you should finish with Elaya. I will check on my little sister, make sure she's not making trouble. You'd be surprised what she gets into at this stage."

Jeziah smirked, and passed Elaya with a nod, leaving the women alone as he checked on his sister.

"I am sorry to bring this news m'lady," Octavia bowed her head, "I do not wish turmoil nor arguments within your group. I am here to aid, not cause chaos. It is why Arya chose to leave, to further prevent all this. Why Master Narxis has decided he must press us for personal information is beyond my understanding, but I promise, when this battle is won, you will not see me again till you and Sera call on me."

She slowly sat down, tucking her feet under her in the grass, and cocked her head, "If, of course, you and Sera ever need me. That girl is like my niece, and you are by far the best thing to ever happen to her. Even Jeziah agrees."

~

Arya found herself back in the Ghost town, the bodies still lying in a mess around the streets. She left them, knowing their foul scent would keep wanderers from coming too close, and her own scent masked. As much as she hoped Narxis would heed her words, he had not done so as of yet with any of her or Octavia's other warnings, and Arya had no trust in the man. She took up shop in the inn they had found the fallen in, their blood still painting the walls, the smell of death and darkness clinging to the air inside. It felt somehow comfortable and homely for her. Stepping upstairs she found a room with an intact bed and wooden tub, and to her luck the water still worked. Pouring herself a bath, she stepped downstairs and smiled, staring at the bodies untouched yet by rot. She could feast on them for the day, and tomorrow hunt for more, dragging her kills into the blood bathed room. A little den for her, at least until Octavia called for her. Arya had no doubts by the time the battle neared, Octavia would be asking Arya to aid them. Perhaps she would, depending on how well Narxis left her be. The man was stubborn and unyielding it seemed, both good and terrible qualities to have in a man.

Eating her fill, Arya slipped back upstairs and undressed, sliding into her bath and trying to relax, feeling the weight of Baal's watching eyes, and the heaviness of the conversation that morning weighing her down.

Narxis said not a word as the hellhound spoke. He was touched that he had finally gotten to more of her.

She never answered his questions, not truly, but the way she spoke and acted told him so much more.

But it was Baal's presence who got a greater reaction out of him. he masked it until she was gone, then he cleaned up her blood and the hellflower spot, all while thinking, and checking some things with some firesprites.

When he had his answer, everything else was lost. "Navash Korlu Mzfa!"

Amitiel whipped around at the words as Narxis manifested once again and took off.

Amitiel glorified. "Everyone!!! Into the house now!" The voice was not his usual calm empty tone, but rang with the power of the throne of God. As they entered the house was surrounded by row upon row of angels, then Amitiel rushed into Lairia's room. "I need you to mask your magic, the stone everything as best as you can." He raised his wings and enveloped them both until they were in a pure cocoon of divine feathers, sealing her and her magic within.

~

Narxis flew as fast as he could, knowing it would not be enough. He cursed himself for not taking measures to increase his speed, even as he broke open the coin souls and used them to boost him what little they could.

He knew where Arya was, always would now. But he couldn't cry out.

Arya had just finished her meal when the first newcomers arrived. The vanguard. Slimy crawly temptations and tricksters. Wicked little beasts with no power for battle, but no trouble for battle. but they rarely came along.

Next came the brutes. Massive creatures, larger even than Narxis in his full form, which stood more than seven feet tall, and some even bigger than Amitiel who when glorified could stand over twelve feet tall. All of them were massively muscled and laden with infernal weapons of war and torture. these were the the armies of hell.The foot soldiers. Beasts of ruin and death.

Then came the elites. Flying monsters of varying size and shape. These beings had laid ruin to whole thunders of war dragons. They were the leaders of slaughter in combat.

But their commanders were the demon princes. Immensely powerful, wicked, and cunning. They stood at all eight points of the compass, and watched the ghost town, laughing their wicked sulfur stained glee. They were warriors of great renown, with names so infamous many were as well known and feared as Lucifer himself.

But even they paled in comparison to four above the town. Abash, Clira, Jezur, and Vax. Archdemons. Narxis's own cousins in fact. They were the greatest warriors in the Pit. Minus the ruling princes. And this was what made Narxis fear.

Why he had hoped he could have done things the easy way.

Leviathan was here. The Prince of Flame himself. One of the seven ruling princes, and the largest and most ferocious. Narxis knew what he was he was doing. Leviathan hated Baal. Had done for millenia. And the fool had let his love of pain and torture draw him into a vessel. Thus trapping and weakening him.

Lucifer was busy, and Leviathan had all the chance he needed. So he had sprung a trap, and ego and sadism driven Baal had walked right into it.

Had walked Arya right into it.

So Narxis dove into the earth, barely missing Leviathan's swishing tail, then shot up into the room and Arya's bath, though he was hidden by the water and the wall. he grabbed her before she could react or argue. He clapped his hand over her mouth and hissed into her ear. "As a lord of Hell i command you to be silent hound."

She could not question that. he had the right and the authority. He closed his eyes as the ranks and forces outside drew ever closer. "Prince Baal you have to go. You cannot survive this battle if you are still within this form."

Actually he could. But not in any way that even his insane ass would want. Leviathan was known for swallowing demons. They would suffer an endless agony as they were digested, unable to escape, unable to fight. The Unholy Dragon had done so to many.

Narxis prayed, to who or what even he could not have said, that Baal would see sense and flee Arya before he was overwhelmed. His own archdemons and forces had been called away by the other princes, who also hated him. Baal was alone.

Narxis hated himself for helping the fool, but he would not allow Arya to be harmed further.

But this is what he had feared. Why he had not trusted Octavia and Arya. They were too connected to the wrong powers in Hell.

Hell hounds began to howl and Narxis' eyes closed in despair. If Baal chose to remain in Arya she was doomed. Not even she could outrun her own kind. Not hundreds of them. And not with a whole army of Hell surrounding her. And not with a prince of power at least equal to Baal's present.

For once let the fool see sense!

~

Elaya laughed at Sera. "What I brought you is in my pack. Only thing left in there. Have it if you wish."

She smiled at Jeziah, then looked at Octavia. The smile was suddenly cold, her eyes ice. "Spare me your judgements Fire-Tongue."

Her body rippled in that way that warned those who knew her that she wanted to shift and kill. "I know what Narxis did. I also know why. I also know that you have allowed your little pet to slaughter without regard. I also know that you have tainted and demeaned yourself."

She growled. "i also know you threatened war against me, my pack, and my people. You are rash Fire-Tongue. And it wounds me deeply."

She took a deep breath. "I allow all of this to pass because you are a friend to my love and my new brother. And because the Old Mother and I are friends of old. But do not threaten my pack ever again. It is beneath you and your kind, and I am shamed by it."

She crouched to look into Octavia's eyes. "Narxis has always served his purpose to check what no one else expects or believes. By his very nature he knows when some means trouble or harm to us. It is only because I do like and respect you that I allow this to continue." Her eyes still burned with frozen fire, the purple all but gone.

She studied the Dragon, then slowly shook her head. "you don't even realize do you? You are truly so set on hiding and running that you don't know just how much danger your friend is in. And you haven't noticed that have you?"

She pointed toward the Ghost-Town where a cluster of black storm clouds had clustered throwing increasingly violent flashes of lightning. The lightning only struck within the town, and the rest of the sky was clear. "A Prince of Hell has come to kill his fellow. Likely because the fellow is possessing your friend."

She raised a hand. "You cannot interfere." She kicked a odd looking knot on a log and it leapt up into pink flame. It was the form of a swirling Dragon, that even in miniature, had to be large enough to consume the world entire. "Lady Elaya, as you command a force within the area, I am required by the laws of creation to inform you of my arrival. I have to interest in you, your people, or the silly sorceress. But I will be coming. I invoke the sames laws of creation." The image flicked out.

Elaya looked at Octavia. "The Unholy Dragon. Leviathan himself has come to kill whichever evil asshole you and Arya have bound yourself too. And by the very laws of creation we cannot interfere as they pose no threat to any beings of this plane." Her eyes narrowed coldly. "Meaning you sent your friend into a viper's nest. And mine too."

She pointed at the storm which was growing ever more violent. "Narxis is in there. Trying to save Arya at least. And if he is hurt....well i won't go to war with you Octavia. I won't need to. But if he goes down, it will mean she is dead too. Which means that the only true fighter of the pair of you is dead."

She rose, glaring down at Octavia. "I hoped we could be friends. I still do. For Sera's sake. But your need to protect your friend likely just killed her."

She shook her head. "Making deals with demon princes." She closed her eyes, then looked at Octavia, and it was clear that the werewolf's heart was breaking as she studied the Dragon. "I can admire your loyalty...but to doom yourself...for what? Is life so meaningless to you?"

She reached out and cupped the Dragon's cheek. Speaking in the tongue of the Dragons, a tear actually escaping her lids, she choked out. "To fly with you was the greatest honor Lady of the Skies." She bowed, then walked toward Sera, wiping her eyes.

Octavia opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. How had she become the bad guy? How had things fallen so steep within a single day. Her eyes turned back to the darkened clouds, at a loss of what to do. Elaya had a point, but Elaya also understood so little of what Octavia had with Arya. I can't just leave her. To do so makes me no better than-

Her thoughts cut off as her eyes caught the sight of a glin of metal within the trees. She could not smell a thing though, nor had she heard a sound, and it was obvious Elaya had not caught anything either. Assuming it was simply her imagination, Octavia turned to leave when she heard it before she even saw it soaring through the field, aimed right at Jeziah as he was stepping out of the cave.

"NO!" she screamed and lunged, flinging herself in the last possible second within its trajectory, feeling the arrow as it pierced through her body, slicing open her heart and filling her lungs with blood. She fell, wheezing in air as her eyes clouded and everything within her began to die.

"Octavia!" Jeziah fell to his knees, scooping her into his arms as he looked at the wound, "Elaya keep Sera inside! We have an archer! Octavia...Octavia can you hear me?"

"They...always want...control," she gasped, gripping his clothes as blood dripped out of her mouth, the internal bleeding groing ever worse, "They take it...by killing...those we love. B-Baal...was going to...kill you for...for me..."

She sucked in an air, and her eyes caught the flash of red hair as Sera tried to run out, a scream following, "Auntie OCTAVIA NO!"

She disappeared, obviously dragged away by Elaya, trying to not only keep her safe, but keep those innocent eyes from seeing the horrors outside the cave.

"Why did you do it O?" Jeziah whispered, wiping hair from her face as he tried to keep her comfortable, realizing at that moment there was nothing he could do. She was a dragonling after all, and the armored scales of true dragons did not rest under her skin. He had learned that long ago she had been casted out of her clan, and they had stripped her of her form, reducing her to wings and horns within a flesh body. But even now he realized, those too were gone, as something else had stripped the last of her power away, leaving her nothing more than a husk of a dragon.

"Because I love her," Octavia whispered, "Because someone needed to love her...She has no one. Like me."

"That's not true," Jeziah held her close, "You have me. You have Seraphina. We've loved you for ages."

She wheezed for air as she tried to nod in agreement, her body growing limper by the second, "The truth...the truth is I learned too much. I asked...too much. And it...it got me into trouble...you will never understand the choices I...I had to make...but at least...at least I died protecting someone who believed in me."

"Octavia..." his voice died off, watching as her eyes closed and her breath came to a shaky stop, "O?"

His body shook, and if he could have cried her would have. All around them the grass was scorched, a product of his pain and anger at the death of one of his oldest friends.

"Rest now Octavia," he whispered, "Live long in the afterlife."

~

Humming to herself, Arya leaned back in the water and tried to relax, wanting to rid the thoughts of what had just happened, at least for the moment. Octavia was bound to come up with a solution. She always did. Arya was the strength, and Octavia was the brains.

Suddenly arms wrapped around her naked and wet body and as she tried to let out a cry of surprise and anger a hand slapped over her mouth, silencing her. She still tried to make sound, until that voice slithered across her ear and the fight left her, her mouth snapping shut as she obeyed. She knew now it was Narxis, but he was pulling his rank against her, and it worked of course, a deathhound bound to obey those of their superiors. However as much as she had to listen, she did not have to follow all his orders. Narxis was not her master, and if he spoke against Lucifer or Baal, then she could ignore. For a moment she thought that was just what this was until he spoke again and she sputtered not to laugh.

"Last time I checked I had breasts, not a cock," she growled under her breath, pulling his hand from her mouth and turning in the water to face him, "And what battle? Why did you follow me Narxis, I thought I said-"

The sound of many footsteps approaching below made Arya jump, cursing herself for not noticing intruders beforehand. Standing she stepped out of the tub, giving Narxis quite the few of her clean and wet naked form as she stepped up to the board window and peeked between to plys of wood.

"Why are Hell's armies at my door?" she demanded in whisper, turning around as her brain tried to connect the dots rapidly, wishing Octavia was here, "Wait...you called me by my master's..."

She cursed, louder than she meant to before she rushed to the bed, yanking her pants on, "That...that...I can't even curse him, or I'll be punished! No...no fuck him!"

She felt the pain like a dull whack on the back of the head but it was nothing like what Baal would do.

"He appeared didn't he?" she demanded, dragging her bra on, "In my face right? He's done it twice to Octavia. Damn it. That...that ass set me and O up!"

This time her face twitched and her head moved sharply, as if she had been slapped. She dragged her leather jacket on as she jumped back to the window, seeing more approaching, quickly filling up the street. When she looked to Narxis there was a glint of fear in her eye but she quickly erased it, "My master isn't here. I mean the one who devised me, Prince Baal. Lord Lucifer is the master of all of us, but as deathhounds are created by our demons to serve, and Baal made me. Now enough of the history lesson, please tell me you have a plan of escape? I can't fight those hordes Narxis, and even I'm not idiotic enough to go up against my superiors. Stop looking at me like I'm possessed I'm not! Never am. I'm just...special."

Unlike any deathhound in creation she thought to herself, seeing some down amongst the rest. What stood her out of the crowd was her human form, a form no other deathhound had, as no other deathhound had the capacity to want. They were creations of demons to serve as weapons of destruction. Baal had only created Arya in an attempt to further that weaponry by letting her walk on earth and cause chaos. And she had served that purpose several times in her lifespan. But the magic that held her together also allowed Baal access to her thoughts. On more than one occasion he had spoken to Octavia through taking control of Arya's mind, and it frightened the deathhound much. Luckily the power to do so seemed great enough that it never happened often.

"Probably sitting back in some hidey hole, waiting for this to blow over," she snarled, again her head snapping to the left as her cheek burnt left with the pain of the slap. It wasn't even Baal doing it, but Arya had never guessed if she was cursed by him, or if these small punishments were all in her head.

"I need to get to Octavia, he must have set something up on her too," she explained, looking back at Narxis, "If he's throwing me under the boat - which is your fault! - then he's going to do so with her too and I -"

Her eyes suddenly widened and she fell backward with a lurch as if someone had slammed her in the chest. She hit the ground hard enough to make the boards beneath her creak, and her eyes grew wide as two black drops fell from her eyes.

"O..." she whimpered, her body shaking as she felt...it. There was no mistaking the change in the spells binding them, the sudden empty feeling overwhelming her. Her eyes blurred and she blinked back tears, telling herself she was crazy, that everything was fine.

"She...she must be...must be out of reach," she whispered to herself, trying to stand, "You just...you just need to take me to her...and...and everything will be...fine..."

Her mouth opened and shut, but words were lost on her tongue. If Octavia was gone...truly gone, than Arya had nothing left in this world. And suddenly everything just became a lot less bright, and a lot more desperate. Taking one step towards him she seemed to second guess it, looking down at herself than at the window before at him, a lost puppy look in her eyes as her entire life had suddenly been flipped upside down.

"Narxis?" she whimpered, trembling, and for the first time her humanity shone through, terrified and aching for support.

Elaya roared her rage. "You asshole!!"

She grabbed Jeziah and the dead Dragon and yanked them both inside as more arrows shot. She slammed them against the inside wall.

She peeked outside, then whirled to face Jeziah, checking him over, then looked at Octavia. "Damnit."

She then grabbed Seraphina, ignoring the teen. She shoved the girl into her brother's arms. "Seraphian you stay here." her voice and eyes warned the Phoenix that disobedience would be a foolish idea.

She flashed away, and then came screams of horror filled pain. They last for several seconds, then cut off in blood filled gurgles.

Then Elaya was back, kneeling voer octavia, her eyes wet again. "You fool...you wonderful fool...Thank you..May the skies welcome you home." She looked up at the Phoenixes, then drew Sera into her arms, noting that Jeziah was about to collapse.

She began to rock the girl, humming after first, but then began to croon in her rather rumbly rough voice, still filled with love, sweetness, and for now sorrow. When she had grabbed the Dragon the movement had hidden the ghastly wound, and Octavia almost could have been sleeping.

Elaya sang this song, the first into her mind.
"Lay down your head and I'll sing you a lullaby
Back to the years of loo-li lai-lay
And I'll sing you to sleep and I'll sing you tomorrow
Bless you with love for the road that you go

May you sail fair to the far fields of fortune
With diamonds and pearls at your head and your feet
And may you need never to banish misfortune
May you find kindness in all that you meet

May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay

May you bring love and may you bring happiness
Be loved in return to the end of your days
Now fall off to sleep, I'm not meaning to keep you
I'll just sit for a while and sing loo-li, lai-lay,
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay, Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay..."

She was weeping opening as she rocked the redhead, keeping the girl facing the fresh warmth outside, while the wolf swore vengeance. Baal would pay.

~

Narxis grabbed her, and drew her into the center of the room as hellstones, hellfire burning chunks of no one knew or wanted to crashed through the window.

He pulled her to her knees, and gently cupped her face. "Arya, i have to do this." His eyes went black then full red again and he ordered her in the tongue of Hell. "Hellhound, listen in silence."

He then brushed her hair back. "Octavia is gone...I can feel too and I am sorry. But Baal isn't inside you, as in presiding over your form, but his mind is with you, meaning his attention, and meaning his presence is. Leviathan can and will use that to force his Baal out into battle. And no matter who wins this will be very bad for all of us. Now first."

He leaned forward and kissed her. or at least he pressed his lips against her's. He breath hellfire into her, healing her and filling her with energy. He drew back and shook himself then sighed. "Second, you have to swear an oath of loyalty to me. or someone else. it doesn't have to be binding. It will prove that Baal is not actively possessing you to even our courts, and prevent Leviathan from killing you. It can be as simple as agreeing to my helping you get out of this."

He wasn't lying. He didn't have time. He gently cupped her face. "let me help you Arya. let me help you survive this. Say the words "i accept Narxis's help to escape this town" and that will do it. Otherwise baal will let them torture you. And I'll die before I let that happen." She studied her face carefully, praying, again to he knew not who.

Jeziah was grateful that Elaya was there. At least she had her head on straight. When she grabbed him and the dragon within his arms and pulled him inside he hadn't even thought that more arrows would come till they did. Elaya set Octavia down and already Sera was sobbing - although no tears came - her body shaking. Jeziah took his sister in his arms, trying to console her as he too felt the same overwhelming grief. He said not a word as Elaya left and returned, and handed his sister off who clung to Elaya as the lanky teen curled in her lap, her body shaking as she kept her eyes from the peaceful body in the corner. Jeziah stood then, on shaky feet, and found his blanket, covering Octavia before collasping again. His eyes closed, the song easing his broken heart at losing a friend as he tried not to seem upset for their sake.

"I will have to take her to her clan, banished or not they will want her buried properly," he whispered after the song, nodding to Sera, "I'll take her with me Elaya, keep her from all this. I will return when the...the funeral is over, and by then...by then I hope...hope this is all over."

Sera nodded, sniffling into Elaya's chest, "Make them all pay Elaya. Make them pay with their lives."

"Sera," Jeziah sighed, knowing and worrying that this might have a lasting effect on her, "Don't let anger cloud your judgement. I know it hurts, but Octavia knew what she was doing . She is at peace now."

He gave Elaya a worrying look as Sera nodded softly and gripped Elaya a little more tightly, "Can...can you sing it again?"

Arya was second's from a meltdown when the hellstones breached the room and she flinched, dropping down. Luckily nothing hit her, but it took Narxis' guide to get her to her feet, her brain scrambling, her hands shaking at the thought that Octavia might be...

"No," the whimper that came out of her mouth was something so unlike Arya, and so rare it didn't sound like the same person. Her eyes filed with those blackened tears that threatened to breach, but Narxis' order to remain silent held her tongue, and while the word had slipped past, nothing else did. She wanted to scream, wanted to run to Octavia. Her mind blanked, unable to handle this kind of pain.

She heard his words and nodded, but her thoughts weren't present, her eyes glossy. It wasn't till he kissed her that she blinked and returned to the room, but she didn't press back, unable to so much as move.

"I...I accept," her voice shook and her knees buckled, "Get me out of here Narxis. Please...please I accept your help. Just...just get me out."

Her knees collapsed then and she gripped the front of him in support, leaning her head on his chest as the tears fell.

"She can't be dead," she choked out, "Please don't be dead."

Elaya cupped the girl's face. "Forever should you wish it my sweet girl. But remember what your brother said. Blood is not the answer Seraphina."

She squeezed gently. "The answer is to ensure that they respect you enough not to attack you. You achieve this by making friends and allies. And by maintaining loyalty."

She kissed the girl's forehead. Then she began to sing. She did sing Sleepsong first, then sang a Dragon funeral song. It was lovely and refreshing, and spoke of loyalty, goodness, and forgiveness. Dragons had long known that dropping blood solved very little.

~

Narxis held her close, taking a deep breath, stroking her neck and back. "She is gone Arya. I am sorry. So very sorry." he did mean it, but he could not let her lie to herself. With so many demons around, her emotional state could very easily provide one of them a path to truly possessing her.

He held her for a long moment, then gently pushed her back so he could look into her eyes. "Arya I will get you out of this. But I need you to accept the truth. Octavia is dead. I'm sorry. More than words can ever say. but if you do not, they can and will slither into your mind or use you."

He looked around for her other things and drew them over, then curled her tighter to his chest, then actually grew two new wings which wrapped about her, keeping her tight in place.

He started to speak and the whole town shook madly, with a roaring scream sounding like the end of the world."Shit....shit...shit...shit. Arya did you bring anything else?"

His words of truth were unravelling the deathhound who was struggling to even listen to him as her world seemed to crash within her. She shook her head, denying the truth, denying it all.

"No...no she's not. It's a trick. They are tricking me, they know...they know it will undo me," she whispered, refusing to listen as he tried to get through to her, "she can't be dead...she's all...all I have..."

Her voice went quiet as Narxis seemed to move his attention elsewhere, ignoring him as she struggled to remain standing upright. When he returned she collapsed back into his embrace, mostly out of the sheer weakness in her knees. It wasn't till he spoke again that she looked up and focused, realizing they were wrapped by his wings.

"I own nothing," she looked rather confused, having put on the only clothes she owned, "a deathhound has no means for material things so I carry none. Why? Why aren't we leaving Narxis?"

He looked down into her eyes, and they were now burning with black Hellfire. "Arya we aren't leaving because there is a full force of Hell outside. Demons, brutes, elites, Archdemons, and Leviathan himself. They are here for Ba'al. Until he shows, we are the targets. We can't escape their perimeter, and we certainly can't fight free. So we have to wait. And hope Ba'al is still as-"

The room shook, and a massively tall, yet strangely lanky being was in the room. he was handsome in a coldly assured way. He walked in a cloud of ego so thick you knew he knew he was the most powerful and dangerous thing alive.

Whether that was true was debatable. But Prince Ba'al was dangerous. He was not manifested at this time. He was in a very nice red suit with a black tie. Bit on the nose, but as of late he had taken to borrowing from Lucifer in the fashion department. He was bald, though he had a full black beard that lay thick on his chest. His eyes were so icy blue they were almost white. He snickered, his perfect teeth on display. The snicker chilled both Hellspawn on the floor.

Narxis gulped, then bowed. "Prince Ba'al you honor us. But to appear here is-"

"Real sweet of you to try to protect me. Well to protect the dog. Shame about what happened to her friend. Ah well." He drew out a hanky and wiped his nose. "maybe i should take her home."

Narxis held Arya closer. Ba'al never took anyone home for anything close to fun. Except to the Prince of Pain himself. Ba'al giggled now.

"So which one is out there?"

Narxis knew the bastard knew, but he had to answer. "Prince Leviathan , My Prince."

Ba'al sniffed. "You guna help me little demon?"

"I am forbidden My Prince."

Ba'al sniffed, this time actually trying to smell rather than dismissing. "Ahh...so you are. Well...the hellhound could."

"She is wounded My Prince."

"I don't see any wounds."

"To the essence My Prince. A deep emotional wound that is harming her very core."

Ba'al grinned, then giggled again. "Ahhh so she is. So delicious."

He crouched and kissed Arya's cheek. He actually bit her, then sucked on her flesh. He rubbed his lips and moaned. "Such exquisite pain. Yes yes yes....alright then...." He stood, adjusting himself.

Narxis healed the wound quickly, enveloping her in more flame, still watching Ba'al. And hating him.

"You ever see two Princes of Hell fight little demon?"

"Yes My Prince. Though i doubt they will make your skills."

Ba'al giggled. And manifested. He was still hugely tall, but the suit became blood soaked robes, with chains hanging from them. His crown was black eternal fire, ringing his curling pointed goat's horns. They were coated with millenia of blood, guts, and other gore. He licked his lips and grinned as his six wings grew forth, and more chains slid down his arms into his hands.

The chains were Hellsteel. A metal forged from and by the fires of Hell itself, that was unbreakable, but like the rest fo theHell, meant to cause harm. It had jagged ripping tips, barbs, and edges throughout the links. Even as they moved over him, they cut into Ba'al, biting and digging deep into his flesh, his black blood sealing the chains to his arms. Below his left hand one split into nine seperate chains, all just the same, but also tipped with various gouging, cutting, ripping tools. On the other swung a moon crescent scythe blade edged on both sides.

Narxis gulped, watching the Prince.

Ba'al giggled, then suddenly screamed and exploded out the door.

Narxis shot off with Arya out the back, weaving through the forces in their way, then shot high before dive bombing back down, and by some miracle shooting out of the town as the roars and screams of the forces were outdone by the mad laughing screams of the Prince of Pain, Ba'al.

Narxis was flying her toward Octavia. He didn't know what else to do. His wings had taken many buttings and even several slashes and blows as they flew, and he himself was covered in wounds. Only Ba'al's mad charge had distracted Leviathan and the other's enough to let them escape. he knew that.

But he could not help wondering. Would even all those numbers be enough?

He could still hear Ba'al laughing in that mad blood hungry way. And the screams of those in pain.

He closed his eyes, and suddenly he saw everything.

Ba'al had flown straight up into the archdemons. He had wrapped them with his scythe chain, killing one with the blade in the first seconds, then began to beat the survivors with his nine chains until there was nothing left of them, then he let their bodies fall. His hand moved with seamless grace and knowledge. Every blow had been perfect, destroying the targets.

Then came the elites, the fliers. He cut them down, whipped off their wings, and even bodily tore them to peices, laughing. THese also endangered their fellows below. As the bodies fell they exploded casting flames and shrapnel into the forces surging toward him. Then he let himself lower, and began to savage them as well.

The ground was already soaked with demon blood, and only in perhaps a minutes. And Ba'al was still just playing about.

Then a roar shook everything. the world, the sky, the planes between, everything.

Narxis only just managed to stay flying.

Leviathan erupted from the earth, and began to battle Ba'al. Leviathan remained in Dragon form. He bore no arms or legs, but his scales were thick and jagged, his fin an edged evil, and his tail was quick. He battered Ba'al, slashed and cut him, and blew flames and smoke and other things then would slash with his fangs.

Ba'al screamed his laughter, carved great gouges into Leviathan, tearing off whole scales. The battle was evenly matched.

Until Leviathan tricked him. He swatted Ba'al with his tail, then whipped it away as Ba'al went to swing, only to meet Leviathan's snapping jaws. The Unholy Dragon, blacker than sin, bit off Ba'al's right arm. But Ba'al continued to laugh, and wrenched his stump free, spraying Leviathan in the face with his blood, then threw his remaining weapon into the scaly face, ruining Leviathan's left eye, ripping it free.

Leviathan screamed , but did not yank away. Instead he opened his jaws, darted forward, and bit Ba'al, cutting his body in half, and decapitating him.

Narxis did fall now as all existence shook again. The death of a Prince of Hell. He rolled onto his back, staring back as the lightning strikes grew more wild and rapid, then Leviathan raised his head and roared in victory. he was brimming with immense power. He roared his challenge as his forces cheered his name.

Narxis stared, then shook himself, and checking on Arya, leapt back into the air, going as fast as he could. He couldn't send messages now. He didn't know what to do. He had to get Arya to safety. And that meant Elaya.

Arya flinched as Baal manifested, and she quickly dipped down to one knee, bowing until Narxis pulled her up. Her mind blanked, as the men spoke, shoving her emotions away in the presence of her master. She knew what he had done, and she could hear it in his voice too. He had taken the one being on Earth she had, her only ally.

To her luck, neither made her speak and she let Narxis envelope her in flames after Baal's unpleasant show of affection, resting her head and hands on his chest. As they bolted out she looked out at the armies around, seeing them flock to Baal, while others continued to try and hurt the two fleeing.
She felt the shake of the world, she felt the storm and her master's enraged glee. She felt it all, and when the end of the prince of Hell came, she felt that most. Her body shook, her eyes going wide as she felt the spells binding her to Prince Baal began to fade and dissipate. She feared the worst, and clung to Narxis as he flashed through the sky, unsure where he was taking them, but more unsure if she'd survive. She could feel the spells give way and then...

Nothing. Nothing happened. Her body remained intact, and nothing but a sudden weight lifted from her shoulders. She felt...unbound. And yet still, some form of magic was keeping her together, keeping her on this plane. Lucifer, she realized in thought, My Lord granted me the power of shifting. So it is him I am now tied to. Him and him alone.

That didn't bode any better to Arya and she kept her mouth shut, not wanting this to spread. If Narxis was right and Lucifer was under fire, than being under his direct authority was no blessing. Still, it was better than being dead.

They reached the clearing, one she had not yet visited, but the smell of Octavia hit her nostrils and she scrambled from Narxis, bolting forward a few steps towards the only place she might be, the cave. Out stepped Jeziah, looking sombre and upset, and Arya could feel her whole body freeze as she tried to find the words.

"Where is she? What...what happened?" she asked, still refusing to give in to the belief her only friend was dead, "Where is she Jeziah?!"

He looked down and then back, staring at someone in the cave that smelt like wolf. Probably the raven-haired werewolf Arya knew led the small group, or the rebirthing Sera that Arya could also smell.

"Leave Sera inside please, she probably shouldn't see this. Can you...bring Octavia?" he spoke, sounding broken.

Elaya came out, her black hair hanging over her face and neck. She lay the covered body down, out of sight of the cave, then stepped back.

She looked to Narxis and he shook his head, but also signaled that he was fine.

She nodded, then went back into the cave to hold Seraphina.

Narxis moved up by Jeziah. "I'm sorry....i was trying to help them.....for my own reasons I'll admit but..."

Arya remained frozen stiff as th werewolf appeared, clutching something long and wrapped in a blanket. As she set it down Jeziah pulled the blanket away, revealing Octavia's calm face. He stepped back, nodding as the woman disappeared and moving to the side to speak to Narxis, as Arya took three achingly painful steps towards the body, falling to her knees.

"O-octavia?" she whispered, her hands shaking as she pulled more of the blanket away, uncovering the fatal wound.

Her eyes squeezed shut, feeling the stain of her bloody tears as they fell, black spotches on the dirt below her. Her body shook with pain, rage, and a flurry of emotions she could barely understand, all leading her to tilt her head back and scream. It was haunting and sad, full of pain and loss, and within that all a note of rage at the monsters who had taken her friend. She screamed to the skies, so loud the birds took off and the forest grew quiet as all creatures fled the area. And still she screamed.

Jeziah saw all this and his heart broke, having never seen such emotion coming from Arya even in the short time knowing her, but understanding and feeling to his very bones the pain within her. Inside the cave, Sera huddled closer to Elaya, frightened and saddened by the sound, burying her head in Elaya's neck to drown it out and stifle her own tears.

Elaya held her close, stroking her hair and neck. She crooned softly, her other hand coming up to block Sera's ear.

Narxis drew his blades. He didn't know what Arya would want to do, but he had an idea on the beginning.

He went to the bodies of the archers, and brought them out, hanging them nearby. Elaya had not been kind. They were mauled, and had died slow, lingering and extremely painful deaths.

Arya's screams went on for not only seconds, but minutes. In fact her cries continued out until she lost the power in her lungs, giving Narxis enough time to string the bodies up and Jeziah root himself in the mouth of the cave, protecting his family. Finally as her screams died she bent forward, dropping her head on Octavia's forehead, crying black tears onto her pristine face, wishing this was all untrue. Yet she could feel the emptiness lying behind the skin, the heart that no longer beat. Then she felt something...it was small and hidden at first, but she felt it. Her eyes opened and she lifted her head, letting her tears fall as she raised her hands above Octavia's chest and felt...it.

Her head spun and she looked about wildly for a second before staring back at Jeziah, the once proud look in her face gone, replaced with a helpless pain.

"Get the feather bra- I mean, t-the angel. Please," she whispered, her voice hoarse.

Jeziah didn't need to be asked twice. Elaya would have heard the question and was strong enough to protect Seraphina. Bursting into flames he dashed off in pursuit of the ranch, hoping to find Amitiel and bring him.

Arya meanwhile stood on shaky legs and turned to look at Narxis, seeing the bodies. Just seeing them, knowing who they were, a rage filled her and she found her footing, bolting at them with another scream as she lunged and tackled the first, knocking him to the ground. Tears blurred her vision as she pommeled the dead body, one hit after another till her knuckles bled and the flesh tore yet still she hit with her fists, numbed by pain.

Narxis let her rage. She needed this.

Elaya kept Sera still and well away from the entrance. She wished she had some kind of magic left, but without it she just held her girl.

Amitiel came out, saw Jeziah's face and without a word took off back the way the Phoenix had come.

He alighted where he felt Elaya, then gasped when he saw Octavia, startled. He looked to Narxis who shook his head, then at the raging Arya.

Narxis spoke softly. "Arya, the angel is here." He caught her fist and knelt holding her, and let flames heal her hands. "Why did you send for him?"

She continued to pommell the dead man's face until his nose was a mangled wreck and bone could be seen in his cheeks. The red of his blood mixed with the black of hers, and it acted like acid to the mortal's skin, burning the flesh and muscle away. She continued to scream and punch until hands gripped her fists suddenly, holding and healing them and a body bent over her, holding her close. She could smell who it was and she let herself lean into the touch, too tired to play stubborn.

"Her soul," she choked, "Her...soul is still here. I need...I want her to go to heaven. She doesn't deserve hell. She's never deserved...any of this."

She choked on her final words and shuddered, still within his kneeling embrace.

Narxis looked at Amitiel and smiled. He then signaled to his friend, who nodded and turned Arya toward the fallen. "You'll want to watch this."

Amitiel drew out his blades, and slashed the tattoo away. He then jammed them into the ground and knelt beside Octavia. he began to speak in a murmur, and as he did so the body began to glow. When it so bright it could not be seen, suddenly a song filled the air, along with the sound of horns, then another flash of light came down, meeting the one in Octavia.

The light grew even brighter, and Amitiel began to sing, happy, soothing and glorious, then the lights flashed up toward the sky. And then the howls of rage came from the demons and Leviathan as another escaped them.

Amitiel bent and kissed Octavia's brow. "Welcome home sister." He stood and bowed to Arya. "She is in the Realms of the Heaven. I will leave you to grieve."

He drew his blades and brushed the dirt off the blades, though they looked perfect as ever.

Arya remained nestled in Narxis' arms and something about it felt....right. She ignored it though, too upset to even give it any focus. Her eyes watched with growing interest at Amitiel's ritual, and when it was done she nodded to him, bowing her head so he could not see the fresh tears. Octavia was truly...gone. Just gone. No goodbye, no anything. It took minutes for her to finally rise from Narxis' hold and step to Octavia's body, dropping back to her knees. Knowing her friend better than anyone she pulled out a secret knife from Octavia's waist and lifted a braid from her hair, slicing it off. Dropping the knife, she wove the braided hair around her wrist and knotted it, creating a bracelet. Jeziah watched from the entrance of the cave but said nothing, knowing what she was doing. It was an old ritual of the dragon's, for the relative's to cut the braids of their deceased and keep them, as a reminder of those who had fallen. If Arya knew this ritual, then she felt this strongly for Octavia, and a new side of the deathhound was being shown, one full of grief and love for Octavia.

"I am taking her to her clan Arya," he finally spoke, "Would you care to come? To say your final goodbyes at her funeral?"

Arya shook her head, looking to the ground, "It is not wise to bring a hellspawn to the funeral of a warrior like Octavia, who was struck down by yet another hellspawn. I would only cause pain. I...I have said my goodbyes."

She bent down and kissed Octavia's cheek, whispering her soft goodbye before she stood and with shaking legs walked away, passing Narxis into the trees and out of sight, unable to stay any longer.

"She still needs you," Jeziah whispered to Narxis, knowing he could hear, "I am taking Sera and we leave today for Octavia's clan. We shall see you soon."

He bent down and wrapped Octavia's body back up, then returned into the cave, sitting o as not to pressure Sera into leaving right away.

Elaya leaned over and kissed her brother-in-law's cheek. "She'll be alright."

She looked at Sera, who had worn herself out crying and was now asleep. She stroked the red hair. "When she wakes i thinks he'll be ready to go. But you need to be careful. She is edging toward that vengeful Sera you warned me about."

She sighed. "i'll miss you both."

~

Narxis nodded, then followed Arya. he waited until she had walked for a time, then he sped up. "Arya. Im so sorry. What can i do? What do you need?"

He nodded, agreeing with her, "I'll do my best to rectify it. We can fix this Elaya, we still have time."

He sighed, "We will miss you too. Me probably most. I've never had so much help raising her. It's been...refreshing. We should be back within two days time. We travel fast. I'd ask you to come but your group can't be leaderless, not now."

~

Arya ignored her tears as she walked aimlessly, not even sure where she might go. Perhaps she would find some bandits and slaughter them, or walk till she found a city, and drink her pain away. Maybe she'd hire a male whore, she truly didn't care.

She jumped a little when Narxis' voice cut through the silence, her heart still in her ears so it had made it hard to hear him following, and her nose could only smell her tears. She turned as he approached, showing her face that was streaked black before she looked down, not wanting a demon to stomp on her heart at this very moment for having feelings.

"They took her as punishment," she whispered, "My punishment. They took her from me. I have...I have nothing. No one. They've left me alone..."

She sniffed, trying to swallow her pain, "Just go back to your group, to your friends. There's...there's nothing you can do for me. It's best I just go hide for a while. Without Baal, my allegiances are to Lucifer now. Until hell calms, its safer I stay hidden."

She nodded, still stroking the girl's hair. Then her eyes narrowed. "If any of them cause trouble you had better tell me. I'm not happy about any of this. If they hurt my family...."

~

Narxis walked up to her, and very gently cupped her face, and wiped away her tears. "No."

He studied her eyes. "You come back with me. You do have beings that care about you. Including me."

He sighed. "And I can help you with Lucifer. As pissed as he will be, if you are alone he'll punish you even though what happened to Ba'al is not your fault. He might actually kill you. But i can make a deal with him. let me help you. This time no conditions, no special words. I just want to help you live."

He touched the spot where Ba'al had bitten her. "But you do need to let me clean that out. his spit was poisonous. It shouldn't effect you but..." He smiled as he studied the spot. "Makes him even more of an asshole. marking a pretty face."

He said it lightly, intentionally letting her know that while he meant the compliment, the flirtation was meant to just give her something other than her hurt to think about.

He raised a finger. "oh that reminds me. Guess who had a standing deal with other Princes to kill you and Octavia? Nickens."

He pulled out a scroll and lay it in her hand. it bore the seal of Asteroth, which could not be faked. "See for yourself. I thought you might want some...payback. Nickens even got several weapons to kill you and Octavia."

As he spoke he continued to study the spot kissed, and was indeed drawing something dark and foul out of it.

Back
Top Bottom