Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

School Rumble (Broom and I)

Adam gave her a reassuring grin, he was more and more grateful for Jana as the conversation wore on. Just handling Mei's reactions required one whole person. It was bad...but...really, no worse than any other parents that doted on their child.

"Really?" Jana mused. "Huh, well...that gives plenty of time to plan something!" she decided with a smile. "Easily done." Must be nice...having parents that annoyed the crap out of you.

Mei's parents seemed to settle down as they allowed the kids to eat, and they ate too. Mei's mother had chose to use her chopsticks and most of the food she had on her plate was eastern. Looking at Alaric's plate....it was western. And then Mei's...well it was a perfect mix of both. They probably ate like this all the time, but it was slightly amusing.

After they finished eating for the most part, Mei was really looking at the door. But she knew this wasn't over.

"Adam, I'd like a word with you. Privately." Alaric's voice was serious, though he had a pleasant smile on his face. Mei looked at her father and grimaced, which he caught but paid no mind to.

"No fair, I want to talk with him privately too..." Megumi told her husband before giving Adam a wink.

"I um...of course," Adam said, deciding not to confirm either as he rose up out of his seat. Jana licked her lips a little, digging back into her dinner. This was something she had no experience with, so she just hoped that her presence was helping. Mei just seemed outright frustrated, but Jana didn't quite understand why...isn't this what parents did?

Alaric also got up from his chair and then led Adam out of the dining hall. He led him through the house, all the way into what could only be assumed was the den. That area was a bit more casual, with a large TV mounted on the wall and fire place, and a large seating area. Strange enough there was also an wine bar, with shelves upon shelves of alcoholic drinks. Definitely the entertainment area. Alaric had a seat on one end of an expensive looking sectional couch, and he gestured for Adam to sit down. His long legs crossed a bit as he stretched them out and waited for Adam to get as comfortable as he could.

"So, you're dating my daughter. You're eighteen and she's turning eighteen soon. That means your both adults. Mei is probably going to be leading the DC for a long time, so that's what she's doing with her future. What will you be doing?"

Adam sat down a moment, regarding him a bit in thought. "I don't know," he said honestly. "And...I really don't think it's going to matter, if I don't help Mei improve Turuga again. So right now, that's what I'm doing, helping her. I'm not thinking that far ahead, Mr.Wolfe." Was it honest? Yes, but it was also borne of mild frustration. The pressure on him was intentional, and he knew it...he didn't know if he'd marry her or...whatever he was thinking. He just knew that right now, this was what he wanted.

"So, you've never thought about your future until this moment? Really? Not even once, have you had dreams or aspirations to do anything with that intellect you have?" The incident that led to his daughter becoming head of DC had only happened a month ago, so his response was unacceptable to Alaric. He had gone through his entire high school years not knowing anything about what he wanted to do. Which was fine...if he wasn't dating his daughter who only deserved the best.

"I never thought of it because I never needed to," Adam replied in turn. "My focus right now is supporting DC, and helping Turuga recover...what happens after that is all dependent on how it goes. Mr. Wolfe...I understand, really." he sighed. "I do, but...we've only been together for a month or two, officially, maybe a little longer. These questions aren't really anything you're going to get an answer out of. I can't really tell you what I don't know."

"I only asked you one," Alaric said as he continued to stare at him. He seemed sincere. "...My daughter felt the same way. So I can't judge you too harshly. I asked her more than once, to tell me what she wanted to do after her school years. But she constantly told me what was important, was keeping order in Turuga. Until she was forced out of DC, she didn't care about what she would do with the future. Now, she might be in this for quite a long time..her entire life even. She has the drive for it. I just wanted to make sure that she was with someone who understands that about her..and being how you're focused on the same goal, I suppose that's enough." He took a deep breath and then smiled, trying to lighten the mood a bit. "My daughter is very complicated, and sometimes it seems like she only cares about work. But I know that deep down, she still wants to be treated like a Princess, not an Ice Queen. So, you can continue dating her on one condition...you treat her right. If things don't work out...let her off easy, okay?"

"I'll do my best, sir," Adam murmured. "...But I can't promise anything. I'm still working on figuring her out," he admitted. "It's not always easy, especially with everything that's happened around us, lately." There wasn't much he could do but shoulder the burden and carry on, really.

"I just need you to do your best. I know how complicated she can be, and well...not every first love works out. I just got lucky with Megumi. Though before we join them again, I just want to know...what do you see in my daughter? I know what she sees in you..because I know her. But I just didn't think anyone could ever get over that demeanor she's put up around herself..to purposely make people afraid of her."

"I don't know," Adam admitted. "I mean, I suppose that's kind of a lie. But, I've never been afraid of her, not really. With Jana around, it's been kind of easier to talk to her. I've always talked to her before, it's part of the work...she's very focused, intelligent...who wouldn't like that?" he shrugged. This entire conversation was...unpleasant, but he supposed it would have to be, given it was her father.

Alaric's face didn't seem to react to Adam's words. Though he was deep in thought. After a long silence, he suddenly heard the clicking of heels. Oh, so his daughter had gotten impatient?

"Very well. I couldn't expect you to know much. I didn't know that much about at your age either, except what I wanted to do with my life. Which was a generally vague concept. I just wanted to help people." He stopped his speech when Mei stood in the doorway, looking at Adam with a nervous expression. She just didn't like that her father had kept him away for so long. She could only imagine the worst things, and so while her mother talked Jana's ear of, embarassing her to no end..she left to go get Adam.

"Mei. We were just coming back. Or actually, let me get Jana. You kids can sit in here. I think Megumi said something about getting dessert ready.." Alaric got up and then walked over to her, patting her on the head. She gave him a look, but he just chuckled. "Everything's fine. He's a nice boy." He told her before leaving. Mei then looked back to Adam and walked over to him, sitting beside him.

"...Are you okay?"

"...Yeah, I guess so," Adam smiled, rubbing the back of his head. "Not too bad, I don't think...he sure does care about you, Mei." Kind of in a scary, threatening sort of way...

"He cares about me?" It was almost like he had said some words of blasphemy. She sighed and reached out to hold his hand. "He just likes to pretend to. In reality, he's really just playing doll house. That man doesn't care about me at all." Her words were bitter as she looked towards the unlit fireplace.

"...You think so, huh?" Adam mumbled. "Can't say I know a Dad who asks a what...two month relationship what the future is going to be like? Sounded to me he was just worried...this um...seems to be a first for you." He wanted to say that as politely as possible, but...you know, friends, dating...it was a new thing. Her parents were taking it differently in their own little way.

"It is a first. For everyone." Mei slipped her hands off his, and she seemed rather distance. She wasn't sure if she was the crazy one...or if her perception of her parents was true. At least Adam was okay, that was all she cared about.

Alaric came back into the dining area finding his wife talking Jana to death. It appeared to be mostly about Mei, and how she was when she was younger. How she was once a really cute, normal girl. Then she turned into a completely different person at the age of ten. She thanked Jana for changing Mei, even if it was just a little. "Megumi, stop chattering the poor girls ear off. Jana, Adam and Mei are in the entertainment room together. If you take that hallway straight back you'll find them. Unless you wanna keep hearing my wife talk about pointless things."

Megumi pouted at her husband and sighed. "It wasn't pointless, I was just telling her some more stuff about our Pumpkin.."

"...Mei," Adam said, fingers linking through hers. Almost insistent, firm. "...Whatever they think you are, whatever they...think we are, I don't care. What I care about is making sure you're actually happy with me. I can take this stuff from your parents, it's no big deal."
--

Jana had barely said two words about Mei, to be honest. Megumi reminded her a lot of her Master in some ways, she moved around like an animal who desperately wanted an excuse to flee her cage. Her body moved with a grace that being just a housewife couldn't provide. Jana wondered, deep down...what exactly the problem was. They doted on her, yes...but Megumi seemed legitimately overjoyed that she had friends, and a boyfriend.

It was a...bitter pill to swallow. But Jana took it all with a smile, rising up. "Not at all, I found our conversation very enlightening, Miss Wolfe." she said with a polite bow. "Please, excuse me. I'd like to join them."

Mei looked into Adam's eyes. Hearing such words for some reason...really touched her. She realized she hadn't been nervous because of her parents, but rather...she had been worried that Adam would be scared away by them. She already stressed out about messing up the relationship herself...she couldn't control what her mother or father did or said. But she realized in that moment that Adam wasn't the type to be scared off like that, especially not by people who had nothing to do with them. She gave him a smile and then leaned over to press her lips against his. She wasn't planning on doing anything of the sort in her parents home, but she just really felt a need to kiss him right then and there.

Adam blinked a little in surprise, but returned it. It wasn't a chaste kiss either, it was a bold one that he leaned into, his hands slipping away from hers to snake around her waist. None of it mattered, as long as she wanted to be with him. And...Jana almost walked right into that. Thankfully, she actually knew a little bit about keeping quiet as she quickly ducked out of the room, letting out a faint breath. Woo boy...looked like they were really going at it.

Mei could feel hear heart starting to race, and a blush came over her cheeks. She remembered what it was like to be alone with Adam, and just...relax. But they weren't alone, so...she had to stop while she still could control herself. Jana should have been coming in at any moment. She pulled away from him hesitantly, here green eyes staring into his. "Thank you." She told him with a smile. "For putting up with me and my crazy parents."

"...No problem," Adam grinned a little breathlessly. "You're worth it, even if I might want to grind my head into the wall after this," he laughed. "But you are worth it, Mei...don't ever forget that, okay?"

Mei looked away, her smile fading from her lips as her cheeks went bright red. "Stop making me want to kiss you in weird places." She told him shyly, still feeling her lips tingle from their previous kiss. But she really did like it..she liked how he made her feel. Like she was worth something, even when she wasn't out doing her job.

He smiled at that, hands still with hers as Jana finally decided to knock.

"Not breaking up anything I need to be involved in, am I?" she teased, hands behind her back as she walked in. "Nobody has their clothes off, right?"

"O-of course not!" Mei growled, suddenly releasing Adam's hands and turning towards Jana. There went the moment, but she didn't want to exclude her best friend. "Sorry I left you back there with my mother. I really couldn't stand hearing her talk about how I was when I was a child, and I was worried that my father was saying stupid things to Adam."

"No, it's quite okay...don't stop on my account," Jana smiled, hands behind her back. "She was just telling me about you, that's all...and you two are off trying to sneak one in while I'm playing the distraction, huh?"

"N-No, nothing like that!" Adam insisted, his face flush. "We were just talking-"

"With your tongues." Jana purred playfully. "I didn't know you had gotten so dirty, Mei."

Back
Top Bottom