Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

School Rumble (Broom and I)

Mei should have been following Masami. She should have stopped the fight when she heard his ribs crack. She should have done something. Her body wouldn't move, and she felt so light headed. She could scarcely believe what just happened, and the silence of the audience was deafening. The sound of her heart drumming in her ears was the only thing she could hear before her legs went limp and she passed out right there.

"Fuck...what just happened?" Catalina said in a hushed manner as Sophie stared down at the scene with wide eyes. The last fight had her almost in tears, but this? This was horrible? She couldn't believe how it ended like that. Komoku was tough, he stood his own against Mifune...so how did that girl just beat him like that? She couldn't help but look away, no longer bearing able to see her friend like that.

"Tch." Kokoro got up from her seat and immediately went to search for her cousin. If she wasn't down there already, then something was wrong. There was no way she wouldn't be watching this fight now. Whoever that girl was...she had no other interest except for taking Komoku down. It was strange how up until this point, no one knew how strong she had been. She was acting with a purpose.

"We gotta go," Dujae said to Cat, as Sejae was already moving out of their seats. Sejae had a different look in his eye, which meant nothing good. Something fishy was going on, which wasn't surprising, half of this tournament was fishy. Equally unsurprising was Mei's reaction, thankfully, Manzen was there in time to catch her. Oh dear...
--
Today...was a wonderful day, enough for Mina Kishi to settle back in her chair, her suite overlooking the entire ordeal made it even better as she poured open a glass of wine with a satisfied little purr. "You see, Alaric? I told you that we shared a common goal, now Komoku is out of the picture, a lesson has been made that mutts should stay in their alleyways. And this is the result of animals being put down."

Catalina followed after Dujae, and Kitten was behind Sejae as well in case he needed help with whatever he was planning. Catalina could only hope neither of them would be too rash and do something like follow that girl who had done this to him. If she had taken down Komoku so easily, how in the hell would they stand a chance against her?

Alaric stared down at the spectacle with a soured expression. While he hated the boy for what he had done to his daughter, it was never his intention to have him killed. "What is the meaning of this, Mina? I told you to rough him up, not to kill him. He's dying on the stretcher! When I said I wanted him out of the picture, murder is not what I had in mind!" He whispered the last part lowly as he narrowed his eyes. This was bad, no one would ever forgive him for this if he was found out, and he'd lose everything. How could she be willing to go that far? How was he stupid enough to think that she wouldn't, after what Komoku did to her late husband? Maybe her seemingly casual attitude about his death threw him off. Whatever her reasoning, they were both involved with this and there was no turning back. It was done.

"He's not dead, Alaric...don't be so dramatic," Mina sighed. "A cockroach like him never dies, he's going to be fine. This is exactly what you wanted, he'll be out of the picture for both of us. Now stop stressing so much and have some wine." Luce did her job well, and she supposed she would be rewarded as promised. She had no idea what sort of freak that girl was, but it was of little consequence. The tool was used, now to put it away in case it was ever needed again. "Now your precious girl will have all the time in the world to think over her terrible choice in men."

"What's wrong with you?" Alaric demanded, his face reddening from his anger. No, he wouldn't die...because he would make sure that kid got the best treatment from the best. He would never be able to live with himself if he had indirectly caused a death. It went against everything he stood for as a doctor. He took a deep breath and then straightened his tie before turning his back on her. "I'll pass on the wine, Mina. I'm going to do my job...and when I'm done with Komoku, I'll do my best to make sure your daughter can use her hand again. Afterwards, we shall never speak of this. You went too far." She didn't even seem worried about Eva...not in the least.

"I went too far?" Mina laughed. "Oh, my dear man, that's adorable. Who was the one who came to me all full of fire and anger, married no less, mm? Don't be a hypocrite and just be happy," she smirked, taking a sip of her wine. "He's out of the picture, regardless." Why did all of the handsome ones have to be so righteous? Did no one understand due course for these sort of things? She did not kill the boy, she made an example that nobody is above an eye for an eye, wasn't that how Turuga operated? Had it gone soft?

Alaric gave her one last glare before storming out. Yes, he was angry...he was also somewhat intoxicated and he made a bad choice. He still loved Megumi, he still loved Mei...but neither of them were being reasonable and just because he pointed it out, he was the bad guy. He had time to think it over, he had time to realize he should have been there for Mei instead of berating her, but with that street thug in the room he couldn't contain his anger.

Now he was about to treat him for life threatening injuries. He would put aside his dislike for his daughter's boyfriend and make sure he'd be okay. He hoped Mei was okay...

Honestly it didn't take very longer for Megumi to figure out where Eva was hiding. The fact that she was here at the tournament wasn't surprising because this had all been her idea and now she saw why. For Komoku to be so badly injured by some girl that seemingly came out of no where, she couldn't help but think Eva Kishi was behind it. No one just beat Komoku like he was nothing. Even the adults had their hands full with him.

She rounded a corner and saw Alaric storming down the hallway. Before he could see her, tucked herself away in the corner. He seemed angry, why? What was he even doing up here..? She was about to follow him, but she remembered her plan. He would never admit to being anything less than a perfect, loyal husband. So she'd just got to Mina. Besides..she was positive that he had just been speaking with her.

Megumi didn't bother to knock, she just opened the door and closed it behind her. Her gaze was dead, after all she never showed her anger or any of her emotions when facing snakes like Eva Kishi. "Nice suite...I guess it was so nice that you didn't even bother to check on your daughter while she was being carted off to the hospital." Megumi said coldly as she folded her arms.

Mina tilted her head a moment to regard her, swirling the glass of wine. "My daughter is a grown woman who handles her own affairs," she replied easily, giving her a lazy smirk. "And more to the point, me being there would do nothing more than irritate her, and her little girlfriend, so why would I show up? Would you like a glass of wine, Mrs. Wofle?" Oh, now this was exceptionally interesting...what was this bitch doing here? Had she finally decided to figure out where her precious little hubby has been?

"I'm not surprised to hear that. I'll pass on the wine." Megumi answered as coldly as ever. "I saw my husband leaving from here, and I couldn't help but wonder what he was doing here. With you. Perhaps you could shed a little light?" She would bait it out of her and if that didn't work, she had no problem with being more direct.

"He was here with me, of course," she said easily. "Didn't he tell you?" she purred. "Or were you too busy sleeping with that little hood rat woman of yours?" Oh, so she didn't know, that made this so much fun. Could this day get any better?

Her eyes narrowed slightly at that, but she decided to ignore her little remark from now. Considering that she was a just a few hairs away from snapping this woman's neck, especially after arranging a kidnapping of her daughter, she needed to remain calm for her own sake of getting answers. "Yes, I know that he was here. I could plainly see that. My question is, what was he doing here. Either you gave him a bad fuck, or you pissed him off about something, because he had quite the scary look on his face."

"Oh, you think your husband is so unfaithful?" Mina laughed faintly. "Mm, trust me honey, nothing I do in bed is bad. Your husband...however, mm, he may have had a bad experience or two, why else would he come to me?" she smirked, taking a sip of her wine. "What are you going to do about it?"

Megumi only stared Mina down in silence as she debated on her next words. She would not give Mina the pleasure of seeming angry, though her rage was barely contained in the contours of her face. "Maybe nothing," She finally said as she turned her back to Mina. "Or maybe something...just know I will never forget what you did to Mei. You're not the only one with gang connections in Turuga, Mina Kishi." With that final threat, she left Mina to her own thoughts. It was time that she finalized this separation. Alaric, sleeping with the kidnapper of their daughter, was not a man she wanted to be with.

Mina snorted in amusement, taking another long sip of her wine. Even if she did, what did it matter? She had her own ways of staying safe, still...that was a threat she didn't like, even as she stared off towards the arena, brows furrowed. What made these people so...stupidly loyal to that murderer and that girl? It was beyond idiotic, was this the kind of world they wanted for Turuga without her husband? Some upper crust teenage slut who found favor with a street dog? No matter, that freakish girl had done her part. She would honor their deal.
--

It wasn't good. It wasn't 'Komoku' bad. It was just 'bad'. Dujae or Sejae had never seen Komoku so...god, the words didn't even come to mind. He was a reckless idiot, but he had the body of concrete, it was like nothing could slow him down, and then here he was, in a hospital bed with a thousand different machines plugged into him and everything else. Manzen was there, mostly for moral support for her daughter, whatever that meant...but she was a wreck, seeing him like that. He noted with curiosity...just how populated the room actually was. He had friends, it seemed...lots of them.

Masami wiped faintly at her eyes, but said nothing. He was...he was going to be okay, right? She had never seen Sejae or Dujae look so lost before, so confused. Manzen put a hand on her shoulder for comfort, giving it a faint squeeze. The silence was broken only by the doctor coming in, an older looking man who was definitively from Alaric's hospital with a faint sigh, adjusting his thick glasses, a folder in his hands. Doctor Keller.

"I apologize for the wait," he murmured. "...How are you holding up, Mei?"

Mei only shook her her head at the doctors question. It didn't matter how she was holding up, all that mattered was Komoku. She still wasn't sure what happened, everything was fuzzy just before she fainted. She in truth was still not feeling well, with the fatigue of carrying a baby along with the stress of the tournament. She didn't think it could get any worse than Eva having her arm crushed, but somehow it did. To Komoku, of all people...to one of the strongest kids in Turuga. Even she had a problem with him when she fought him, and since then he had only gotten better. Yet that girl took him out...easily. Some mystery girl no one had ever seen before. She had only one purpose, to do this to Komoku.

"How is Komoku? Will he be okay? When will he wake up?" Mei asked as she struggled to keep the tears out of her eyes. She had to be strong for Komoku, for everyone...

"He's stable now," Keller assured. "But I just got the x-rays back and...it's not pretty," he admitted, holding the first one up. "His rib-cage is broken in many sections, in fact...the entire chest cavity collapsed on his lungs. It's amazing that he's breathing now. Thankfully, his lungs weren't punctured...but the rest of him? Well...he's got a crack in his spine, which is remarkable considering that seems to be all that happened," he said, rooting through the rest of the x-rays. None of them were pretty, and none of them spelled anything good.

"His jaw is broken, shattered, we were pulling out bits of it from his cheek. His dislocated arm is actually the least of his worries...frankly, we're not too sure if he can even walk again." Keller murmured, adjusting his glasses a moment. Most of his body is still in shock from just how fast it happened, we've kept him drugged, but he's going to go into surgery to see what we can do about his rib cage."

The only good news out of all that was that he was stable. The rest was like multiple punches to the gut for Mei. All that damage...and knowing that it was a possibility that he'd never be able to walk again. It angered her..it burned her, and she was sure that this had something to do with Mina Kishi. "Please...my father has to do the surgery. He's the best in Turuga. Make sure he is in that room with Komoku." Mei pleaded softly, taking a deep breath. Everything in her wanted to find that woman. She couldn't arrest her, not when the rules of the tournament protected her. However, she badly wanted to hurt her. She wanted to get revenge and make her confess who had told her to do this.

"Your father is already prepping the operation room, Mei," Dr. Keller smiled faintly. "That being said...it's not all bad news."

"...It's not?" Masami said, her voice as quiet as ever. She had never seen her big brother like this, and seeing him so broken in...medical detail terrified her.

"No," he murmured. "The amount of trauma his soft tissue experienced is...well, quite frankly, it's insane. We still don't truly understand what gives the people of Turuga their unique talents, but we do know that it has always helped with the healing process. Frankly, with the amount of internal and external bruising the point of impact has with his spine, it's amazing that the only thing that he has is a crack. It should have well been broken and severed. He's responding well to medication, and despite the pressure of his ribcage on his lungs, they seem to be in good health, and many of his internal organs are in surprisingly good shape. It's going to take a lot of time, but I think he's going to be just fine."

That news made her feel better. She would wait as long as she needed to for the surgery to be over. In fact, Mei really had no intention of leaving Komoku's side unless she had to. "That's good to hear..he's a fighter. He won't die from this." Mei said softly. Plus, it made her feel a lot better to know that her father was performing the surgery. He may not like Komoku, but his doctor oath was very important to him. He would not let his personal feelings get in the way of helping a patient.

"He is well past that risk," Dr. Keller sighed. "But I can't promise anything past that, Mei. I wish I could, given time and care, he'll be awake again. Past that, well...we'll just have to manage it, in the meantime...I'd recommend you all take a deep breath, Komoku isn't going anywhere, and we're going to keep a close eye on him."

"Right..." Mei muttered as she folded her arms. She knew that Dr. Keller was trying to be realistic. It was never good to sugarcoat anything when it came to things like this. "I suppose I will leave him in yours and fathers hands. If he's going into surgery now, maybe we should all go wait in the waiting room so you can prep him..."

"That would be best," He smiled. "Rest assured, he is in the best of hands, Mei. Your father was quite adamant about this. We'll be sure to keep you updated." he promised, motioning for the door as everyone began to pile themselves out, Masami moved closer to Mei to give her a gentle hug.

"Everything is gonna be okay, Mei," Masami assured. "Komoku is always fine, and he'll be fine still."

Mei hugged Masami back, smiling softly. She was trying to be strong, but clearly Masami saw passed it. If she said things would be okay, they'd be okay. However...she still could not get over this feeling of anger. She needed answers, and she needed them now. First, she needed to see Jana...and make sure she was doing okay too. They would find comfort in each other, she was sure of that. They always did.

Everything had unraveled rather quickly, but that was Turuga in a nutshell, wasn't it? You never knew just how things were going to turn out at any given notice, but with Eva and Komoku...it was just a brutal reminder of it all. Jana had wanted to join Mei during their little pow-wow and good tidings for Komoku, but it was too much, too fast. She much preferred the realtive quiet of Eva's room, with only the dull droning of the TV to break her silence.

It was strange, really. It seemed like once things settled between them, Mei got more social and Jana got less. She rubbed her face faintly, slumped back with a sigh. Everything was just...crazy, she supposed. Maybe once things got back to normal, things would actually be normal. But when the hell would it be normal? Mei was pregnant, Komoku was in the hospital for god knows how long...ugh, all of it was just nuts.

She needed a nap...or a drink.

Or both.

It wasn't hard to find Jana, she just had to ask for Eva Kishi's room number. To be honest, she didn't want to think that Eva had anything to do with what happened to Komoku. However, if she couldn't find that girl named Luce, she wouldn't have anyone else to ask. There was always Aiden, maybe she'd track him down and have a talk with him since he wasn't in the hospital.

She opened the door quietly and slipped in. The room had two beds, but only Eva was here. "Hey," Mei said in a soft voice as she spotted Jana, not wanting to disturb Eva's rest. Then again, she was undoubtedly on pain medication that would make her drowsy. Her arm probably needed surgery too, but Komoku would take priority over her. She'd ask her father to help with that, too...if he could. "How is she?"

Back
Top Bottom