Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

My Beast (Misa x Traveler) - Closed

RE: My Beast (Misa x Traveler)

"We'll figure out what we'll do tomorrow," Derek murmured into her hair. He wrapped his arms around her and sighed, his mind shutting down as the time for the next sleep cycle overrode his desire to stay awake. He could feel her slipping into a deep sleep as well, but during the night she began to twist and turn, waking him from his slumber.

He propped himself up on one elbow and ran his hand along her face. "Amber? Amber! It's a dream... wake up." He twined his fingers through her hair and pulled her into his arms. "It's okay, Amber. I'm here. I'm not leaving you. You're safe. I'll never let anything bad happen to you... I promise."

Amber have a sleepy nod at Derek's mumbled words. It was clear it had been a hard day on him too. The pair drifted to sleep, Amber cuddled up to Derke's body. Her sleep was not very restful,she twisted and turned as nightmares filed her mind.

She whipped in her sleep, calling for Derek before she woke with a yep. Big green eyes filed with tears as she looked up at Derek. Her arms slipped around his middle, her heart feeling safer with his promise and hold. Curling into herself Amber kept herself close to Derek.

It took sometime but Amber claimed down with the safety she felt with Derek. " I'm sorry I woke you." She said softly. looking up she smiled from her spot cuddled to his side.

"It's okay... that's why I'm here." Derek looked down into her large, luminous eyes and he felt his heart ache. He smiled softly and then kissed her forehead. His hands rubbed on her back and tried to sooth her, holding her close to his chest in the darkness. He stared into the darkness and thought about how her life had changed that day. Everything for her had been lost; she had a family, school... a life and friends. But now she had to leave it all behind.

"Sleep in peace," he said, his voice deep and solid in the emptiness of the abandoned house. "I'll watch over you. Always." He could feel her heart beating next to his and he wanted nothing more than to hold her and maybe, to kiss her... to show her somehow that he meant it when he said that he would protect her. But he knew that she was in a delicate emotional state. She might only need him to hold her, and if that was what she needed, then he would do that. And only that.

Amber curled into the safety that was Derek's arms. Looking up at him with big green eyes she smiled when their eyes locked. Her smile grew at the feel of his lip on her forehead. She relaxed into his hold as he rubbed her back and kept her close. Her mind was claiming from the nightmare she had had. His voice sound deeper then normal, and it sent a pleasant shiver down her spine. Her hands were holding tight to his shirt as she could do little more then hope he would always be there to watch her. In the matter of moment he had protected her more then anyone else had ever, and became more imported for her then she could ever explain to him. She knew that some of it could simply be because of her delicate state, but she knew when she was 'fixed' she would still need him. You couldn't be as imported as he is to her and not stay that way.

Her eye lids felt heavy and she once again felt herself drifting asleep. This time she was in the safety of Derek's arm and no nightmares would come. Her body relaxed against his. While her hold on his shirt loosened, it never fully let go. If she had been awake she would of felt bad. Her dreams this time around were filled happy memories she had had with her family. She also had dream that had Derek in them. What could of happened if he had been able to save her whole family. Of her father taking him in and bring him up in a loving home, and not the empty one he was now sharing with her. She had dreams of where they might go. Someplace warm and sun where they could see the beach.

The next morning was not yet dawning when Derek woke with a start. His arms were still wrapped protectively around Amber, and he could feel the soft breathing of her as she nestled against his chest. He had never felt so needed or desired before; he almost felt human again, and he vaguely remembered what it was like to be 'normal'. To have normal desires, to hold a girl's hand or to crave a simple hamburger and shake. His hand covered her heart as he laid there and tried to figure out what had woken him from his sleep. It had to be something out of the ordinary; some kind of danger.

There - a footstep. A booted footstep, and the one-sided heaviness of someone walking with a rifle in their hands. He could feel that the person had more weight on his right side than his left, and the balance was off, as if his hands were not being used for balance because they were occupied, holding a rifle. A heavy rifle... not a light hunting model, but a heavy one, with a steel barrel used for steadying shots across long distances.

Derek drew in a slow breath and began to extract himself from Amber's embrace. If he could get away from her and get the intruder before she woke up then she'd be safer; if he couldn't, then he feared drawing fire towards her and getting her hurt.

Amber had the best night sleep while in Derek's arms. There was something about the mysteries boy that called to her. She felt him jolted awake and cuddled closer to his chest. A soft moan pulled from her lips as his warmth once more washed over her. Her dreams filled with what could happen to them, happily safe together. A pleasant shiver moved down her spine as his hand rested on her chest.

As he tried wiggle from her hold she couldn't help the whimper that slipped from her lips. Her eyes opened slightly to look up at Derek. She let of a soft sleepy moan before rolling over, Her eyes closed and she went back to sleep. She curled deeper into herself, missing his warmth the moment she rolled away from him. However even in her sleepy stat she knew he wanted up. Not having his arms around her made her feel lonely. Derek had grown on her fast, though you would expect that to happen when one person saved another. There was something about Derek that wasn't normal though, but now all she wanted was to sleep. She pressed her face into the pillow and pull the blanket tight around her body. Dreams were stilled filled of Derek. The pair some place warm and sunny. Living together and getting to know each other.

Amber's soft, sleepy moan did something to him. It made him harden with desire for her, and desire to protect her. What the hell? He'd never had that reaction to a potential fight before. Derek could still hear the intruder walking outside, approaching the doorway to the empty house.

He saw Amber roll away and cover herself with the blanket, and he wanted so desperately to be there with her that he felt a rage of resentment rising up at the intruder. The footsteps paused outside the door and the handle moved. It was locked. A moment later he could hear the sound of metal picks as the intruder undid the lock from the other side and began to ease it open. Derek moved out of his line of sight. Soon a rifle barrel moved through the door, then the person stepped in quietly. From the entry the edge of the blanket over Amber could be seen, down the hall...

Derek waited until the man stepped through and shut the door behind himself. One? They sent just one?

Once the man was through the door, Derek moved. He grabbed the barrel of the gun and pointed it up at the ceiling as he stepped in and punched the intruder across the jaw. The man's eyes widened momentarily; he was expecting to face one little girl who he knew was incapable of protecting herself, not another seasoned fighter. Once Derek's fist connected, the man went down hard.

Derek quickly checked him for ID, but like a good assassin, the man had none. He had a few things of worth, though; a sidearm, with a mostly full magazine, a knife, and a watch. No money... no ID. The young man rifled through the pockets, and, finding no other ammo or magazines cursed softly through his teeth. The killer was either overconfident or stupid to travel so light, but then again, they weren't expecting to need much to kill off Amber, did they?

Once he had made sure that the assassin wasn't going to be a bother to them ever again, Derek dragged him into a closet and closed the door. There was no reason to worry Amber. Then he disassembled the rifle so the pieces would fit in a backpack and pocketed the pistol before going to wake her up. They had to leave.

He really felt badly about disturbing her sleep, but it was too dangerous now. Softly he drew his fingers through her hair and whispered her name. "Amber? We have to go, hon. It's time to wake up." He sat near her, the pack next to them and the morning still a good hour away. "I'm sorry Amber.... we have to go now."

Amber cuddled into the bed, wanting nothing more then the warmth and safety Derek gave her. She didn't wake as he took care of the intruder, leaving him to no have to worry her. She moaned softly as he whispered to her, a smile tugged her lips as he ran his fingers through her hair. She rolled over to look up at him. "Derek" Her words were filled with sleep. She nodded as he once again told her they had to go. It took her a moment but she sat up slowly, fixing her clothes. Her green eyes looking toward the window. She looked at her watch and sigh, before looking back at him.

Her green eyes rolled over his face, taking him in. Reaching up she brushed her fingers along his jaw. "Is everything okay?" She asked softly. Her eyes full of caring as she smiled softly at him. Amber couldn't help but worry about Derek, she didn't want to be the reason he was hurt.

When she was sure everything was fine she started to fold the blanket. "How are we going to travel?" She asked lightly. She was unsure if he wanted them to walk, or if he had a car somewhere. She didn't mind walking at all, but she always had a need to know everything. Standing from the bed and worked her fingers through her hair, and couldn't help but remember that his fingers had felt. Putting her hair into a messy bun she once more looked toward the window. "I know I said I didn't want anything, but do you think we... or you could get something for me?" She asked lightly. She explained that under her bed was a little brown box, in the box was pictures of her family and about $500 in cash she had been saving to buy a car.

Her moan was erotic; something that he hadn't been expecting that morning, and the way his body stirred at her soft sounds confused him. Why would he feel like this now? He had just killed a man... her entire family had been slaughtered... but here he was, desiring her... and when she said his name all sleepy-like, he found that he wanted to touch her and hold her, and to simply forget the world around them. But they couldn't afford to let their guard down. Not yet. Not with those killers still stalking her. Amber's soft brush of fingertips along his jaw sent more shivers of desire through his body. He had never been around a girl like this before, but he found that he liked it.

Unfortunately, it was distracting as well. "I thought I'd steal a car," he admitted. "We can put a few hours between us and here and then switch it out for another one." He brushed some dirt off her arm when she stood up and watched as she reached up and twisted her hair into a bun. She looked angelic to him. He felt his heart clench and was almost worried that something was physically wrong with him, not realizing that it was the ache of love mixed with the knowledge that he wasn't meant to have her, that hurt so much. Derek listened when she told him about her box, and the money she had hidden under the bed.

A part of him was irritated that she hadn't told him last night, when the cover of darkness could have helped to hide them, but then he remembered that she had gone through a lot last night. It had probably slipped her mind. Then, with great clarity, Derek realized that there was nothing she could ask him that he wouldn't do.

"I could get in, or we both could," he peeked out the window. There was no sign of anyone else out there. "If you want to come too, grab a few things that you might want, I think I can keep us both safe." He smiled softly and stepped slightly closer to her. "I... I don't want to leave you alone, even for a few minutes." Derek reached out and touched her hand. "Come on. We should go now, if we're going to go at all."

He assumed that the people hunting for Amber were confident; they probably only sent the one man to finish her off. Still, it was important that they go quickly and do everything they could to not draw attention to themselves. "Do you have your house key? I assume you know the alarm code, right? We don't want to draw the police to us, though I'm sure that they'll be able to see that we were there after the fact." He led her out the kitchen door to the side yard gate and made sure that the road was empty before beginning to cross over to the other side. It was still only about six in the morning, so the streets were pretty empty.

Amber moaned as she woke to Derek's voice. His name slipped from her sleepy lips as she started to fully wake. Looking at him she couldn't help but smile, even after everything she smiled when she looked at him. her fingers brushed against his jaw as she asked if he was alright. There was unbelievable pull she felt toward the boy, she felt safe with him and she was determined to hold on to him. She listened as he explained his plan to steal a car. She gave a nod "That sounds like a plan."
She asked about going back to her house, explaining about the box she had under her bed. She felt bad for not saying anything the night before, but with everything that had gone on she hadn't thought of it. She was happy when he didn't seem to upset with her. She was placing the blanket into his pack as he looked out the window. His words sent a warm feeling deep into her gut.

Feeling his hand touch hers, she was quick to lace their fingers. She blushed and stepped closer to him. Her heart raced in her chest, happy for the fact he didn't want to leave her. Amber wanted nothing more then once again be wrapped up in Derek's arms. Though she didn't say anything simply followed him as he lead the way to the house. "Yeah" Was her answer to both question.

As they reached her house she was quick to pull out her key and unlocked the door. Moving inside she put in the code and as she turned around she came to a stop. A heaviness filled her heart as she looked over her home. Tears burned her eyes though she pushed them back. She reached out for Derek, her hold on his hand was tight. She lead the way to her room. It was purple, her favorite color, and was filled with girly things. Teddy bears, flowers and pictures laid all over. As she reached under the bed and pulled out the box. She move to her closet to get another pack for them to use, she put the box in the pack before moving to grab a few more blankets and a change of clothes for them both. Derek was taller then her father, but she was sure he could fit into one of his shirt. She also had grabbed some food to place in the pack.

All the while she moved about she trusted Derek to keep her safe. When she placed the last thing in the pack she moved back to Derek's side. Her big green eyes looked up at him and she smiled lightly. With one last step she rested her head against his chest. "I'm sure you will get sick of hearing this, but thank you Derek. If it wasn't for you I be dead, I'll never be able to repay you." Looking up at him she thought of the kiss they had share the night before. A blush heated her cheeks and her stomach twisted.

Derek could think of ways that Amber could repay him, but he didn't want her affections to be in payment for what he had done for her. He wanted her to want him. The young man frowned as the memory of a song flushed across his mind. He was a kid when he heard that song... maybe a year or two younger than he was now, but so much had happened since he remembered listening to that song on the radio. He frowned silently to himself as memories of a... Trans Am?... came back to him. He caught a glimpse of himself in the window, and superimposed on the image of him with short hair was one of him with longer hair...

He cleared his throat and smiled at Amber. He tightened his fingers around hers and then nodded. "It's alright, really. Your dad helped me to get out of a bad place. He was a friend to me, and so... this is just me being a friend back."

As they began to leave the house, though, he saw a picture of a bunch of teenaged boys sitting on an ice rink. Derek paused. For some reason, he thought that the picture should have had one more guy in it, but a spot was blank. It looked like no one was there, but he knew, somehow, that there were eight boys in the picture. "That's Vancouver," Derek said, peering at Amber. "They got Northern American All-Stars that year."

He looked at Amber. "That's your dad, the second from the right in the front row. He broke his ankle in the final game, and his Dad told him that at least he got the timing of his broken ankle right, that they had won the series first..." Derek shook his head. "Why do I know that?"

Amber smiled up at Derek, thankful to have him. Her hold on his hand was tight and she couldn't stop her smile from fading slightly. While she was happy for his help and didn't want to lose him, somewhere deep down she thought that there might be more to it. She didn't want him to help her simply because her father had helped him. She thought after the kiss, and everything else that .. oh she didn't know. She blushed at her own thoughts and let him lead her toward the door.
Before they made it out of the door though he stopped. Her green eyes followed his to the picture, his words shocked her. She looked up at him and nodded when he spoke of what the picture was of. Her hold on his hand tightened and she swallowed hard. "I ... I don't know." Part of her was slightly unnerved by his knowing of the pictures. "Maybe my dad told you. You were friends, he helped you. Maybe he told you." She said trying to make sense of it in her own mind. She took a step toward the door, not wanting to think of her family. She didn't want to start crying on him again. "We have to go Derek." She pulled on his hand once more and waited until he was beside her to move.
She didn't say anything for some time. Thinking over what she wanted to say to him, the whole time her hand still in his. "Derek... are you only helping me because my father helped you?" She looked up at him shyly, scared of his answer.

"Yeah... maybe your dad told me," he echoed back at her. His eyes lingered on the photo, but she reminded him that they had to go, and he nodded. She was right. They had to go.

He sneaked with her out the side door and down an alley that ran behind some of the houses, before he found the car he wanted to steal. It was an older model Toyota, an old landcruiser type that he knew he could hotwire quickly. He picked the lock and was in the middle of shorting the wires to start the engine when Amber asked him if he was only helping her because of what her father had done to help him. Derek looked at her briefly, considering the question.

"Get in," he finally answered. Once she was in the car and buckled up, he started to drive out of the neighbor hood. "At first... I watched your family." Derek glanced at her. "Don't freak out; I didn't know where else to go, so I caught wind of where your dad was and followed him here. I just watched you guys for a few months, getting to know you, working up the nerve to talk to your dad. I never got the nerve... but keeping track of you all kept me sane. And when I knew that something had gone wrong and I went to find you... and found you like I did... I helped because of your dad. Yeah."

He drove for a few moments. "But... I'm here for you, Amber. I promised you, and I mean it; I'm not going to abandon you or leave you vulnerable. I'll do everything I can to keep you safe." He looked over at her quickly before bringing his eyes back to the road. "I care about you, Amber. Apart from everything that has happened... I suppose over the past few months I feel like I know you enough to care about what happens to you."

Amber let Derek lead her out of the house and down an alley. He was hot-wiring a car when Amber asked why he was helping her. She didn't miss how he looked at her and seemed to think it over. She did as she was told, slipping into the car and putting on her seat belt. It wasn't until he started driving away that he did answer her. Her green eyes watched his face as he spoke, looking for any lies he might tell her. She took in all he had to say and gave herself a moment to think.
She let out a slight giggle and shook her head. "It is ... slightly odd to think you had been following us" She gave him a warm smile, so he know she was only teasing. She felt him looking at her and had to swallow hard. "I ... I don't want to make you stay if you don't want to." Once more she turned to look at him. She couldn't help it as she brushed her fingers against his arm. "I know this might sound... crazy.. but your really all I have now. I want you stay, I want you... " She blushed when the last part slipped free from her lips. "I know I don't know you, but I feel safe when I'm with you. You saved me, and I know if you would of been there you would of saved my family." She gave him a smile and shifted in her seat. She felt like in that moment she should of been closer to him, but there was no way for that to happen.
She took another deep breath before speaking. "If you don't want to stay you don't have to. But please know I want you to stay. I would miss you and I just ... I wouldn't be able to feel safe with out you." She leaned carefully over the center and placed a long gentle kiss to his cheek. "I'm happy you care about me, because I know I care about you" She whispered to him. Sitting back she looked out the window for a moment. She rutted into the bag she had packed and offered Derek an Apple.

He had to smile at what she had said. He took the apple with a thanks and set in in his lap, before reaching out and taking her hand. "Amber, I want you to know that you're all I have too. You're my world... I don't have a family, I don't have a reason to be here or anywhere else. I don't even have a last name."

Derek slightly at that realization. "I... I like you too, Amber." He felt the heat rush to his face, though, because he knew that he wanted her too, and not just as a friend. He squeezed her hand before releasing it and picking up the apple. He took a bite on the flower end, not seeming to care where the core was. As he drove and ate the apple, actually, he devoured the entire thing sans the stem, and chewed up the apple seeds as easily as someone might chew up grape seeds.

Once the apple was gone he began to look for a gas station. "You have family near the Canadian border, right? Can we go to them? Do you have someone you would feel safe going to?"

When Derek took her hand she couldn't help but hold right to it. While it made her dad that he had no family, she was grateful for the fact she meant something to him. She couldn't help the giggle that slipped free as he blushed. She was happy to know he felt the same for her. As she picked up her owned Apple she couldn't help but watch him for a moment.
Watching him eat the apple and thinking back to everything, she knew something was different about him. While she knew that fact should worry her, it didn't. She could find it no where with in her to fear Derek.
Thinking of her family she could only shrug. " we didn't spend much time with them. I really don't know, maybe my aunt sue" she tried to think of the last time she had seen any of them. However she just couldn't, it had been so long. " You'll be there... I feel safe with you'll." She smiled at him, before reading against the seat. Her eyes closed as she still felt sleepy.

He smiled and let her lean against him, enjoying her closeness. He knew where that picture had been taken, and just ten miles south of the border was the town that he remembered, somehow, that she had family at. Aunt Sue seemed familiar too. Derek tried not to let it bother him; he was used to having information pop in and out of his mind, and right now he simply needed to take Amber someplace safe so that she could finish school and grow up in a 'normal' environment.

Derek listened to her sleep against his shoulder. He stopped for gas and the attendant filled up their tank, making it possible for him not to wake Amber from her sleep. He felt so badly that she was in this situation in the first place, as if it was his fault. About four hours later he pulled into a diner parking lot. It was warm and he was hungry, and he needed to look at a map.

"Amber? Are you hungry?" He reached over and gently stroked her hair as she leaned against the seat, only inches from him. He didn't want to disturb her, but he needed to get out and walk around a bit as well before he risked falling asleep too.

Amber hadn't meant to fall asleep or sleep as long as she had. However after everything she just couldn't stay awake, besides he had woken her before dawn. Her green orbs open slowly to look up at him as he spoke to her. A soft moaned slipped from her lips, she enjoyed the feel of his fingers in her hair. "mmhmm, I am hungry. " she answered him. Slowly sitting up she looked around the car, to see if she knew were they where at. With one last smile to him she slipped out of her door and walked around to join him. She was hoping who ever was after her wouldn't try anything in such a public place.
Walking close to Derek she felt herself relax. Entering the diner she smiled as they were greeted. "Can we have a booth for two?" She asked. The older woman lead them to a table in the back. Amber slipped into the seat and smiled at Derek. She opened her menu before speak. "What is your favorite food?" She asked lightly, trying to get to know him.

He still felt uncomfortable around 'normal' people, as if they could simply look at him and realize that something was amiss. So he smiled stiffly at the waitress and sat down where he could see the doorway and the kitchen.

Amber asked him what his favorite food was, and he looked at the menu. "Uhm... I like things that are warm. And spices... I really like flavors." He squinted at the menu and then grinned. "Holy cow! Cheeseburgers!" He looked at Amber, his eyes smiling as well. "They have pie. That's... that's groovy!"

"Alright, Danny Zuko," the waitress said sarcastically as she waited to take their orders. "Can I get you something? A 'pop', maybe?" She smiled at her little joke.

Derek thought about it for a second. "Oh yeah - Grease! That was great. So that would make you Sandy," he said to Amber, and then he looked at the waitress. "And you're more of a Rizzo; definitely a Pink Lady."

"Oh yeah?" She seemed rather pleased with that. "I actually played Rizzo in high school, back in '82."

Derek nodded, grinning. "Yeah... that was a great movie. I think that was the last movie I saw in a drive-in." He looked at Amber. "Where'd you see the movie? Drive-in or theater?"

The pair sat down and Amber asked what Derek liked to eat. Her green eyes looked back up at him as he didn't really seem to know. She let out a giggle as she took in his excitement and happiness. She couldn't help but wonder what had happened to Derek while he been in the hospital. She was happy to seem him relaxed, and happy though. She was a little taken back by his question. "At home... on the TV." She swallowed hard and looked to the menu. "Mom owned the DVD, she watched it all the time." While Amber was putting on a brave face, she could only do so when she didn't think of her family. It was the last thing she wanted to think about, and she knew sooner or later she would have to face it. She smiled looking back to Derek then the waitress. "Can I have a bacon cheeseburger and a soda please."
"When did you see it int he drive in?" She questioned. Trying to think the last time she had been to a drive in movie. She knew there was some around, but she hadn't been to one for as long as she could remember. Her green eyes were locked on his handsome face and once again she was struck with this feeling. The feeling that something really right with Derek. She wanted to learn everything she could about him. Help him, as he clearly didn't know much about himself.
However that in its self brought a knew fear to her heart. She worried what they would find out about him. Maybe he had a family out there. If they found his family would he leave her. She knew it was selfish but she didn't want him to leave her.

He hadn't remembered a lot of things about himself, but he distinctly remembered going to the drive-in in his dad's car; his parents were in the front seat, and he was lounging on the roof of the car and eating popcorn as he stared up at the big screen. He was old enough to drive... sixteen maybe? But that would have been not too long ago, and the memory seemed like a long, long time ago.

There was something wrong with his sense of time. He knew that it was off because their waitress played Rizzo in her high school in '82? And she was definitely pushing forty... He saw the movie when he was sixteen, back in 1978. Derek ordered a cheeseburger and coca-cola from the waitress and waited for her to leave before answering Amber's questions. "I saw the movie on opening weekend; in the summer back in '78." He held Amber's gaze, trying to read in those green eyes whether she believed him or not. "I was in the hospital for a long time, but I don't remember a lot about it. It can't have been that long ago, though, can it? I mean... if that waitress played Rizzo four years later, and she's... well... in her thirties at least?... then that means it's been..." he shook his head. "What? Twenty years? How old do I look to you, Amber?"

His heart was pounding in his chest, and he was feeling a small pinpoint of panic growing in his heart. How much time had passed since he had been taken from his home? He could only remember bits and pieces of information about his life 'before'.

Amber questioned when Derek had seen the movie. Her green eyes locked on his as he spoke, telling her he had seen it opening weekend. Confusion pooled in her eyes as she tried to make scene of what he was saying. She swallowed hard, looking at him she could feel the confusion and panic filling her. None of what he said made scene, he couldn't have been much older then her 17 years and yet here he told her he had seen it in 78. "How old were you .... when you saw it?" She asked weakly. She knew there was something about him, something that wasn't normal. Now he was telling her he had seen the movie in '78. She couldn't help but wonder what they had done to him in the hospital. Even knowing what she did, she couldn't bring herself to fear him. She slipped from her side of the booth, and moved to sit next to him. She had a feeling this is something they shouldn't be talking about to loudly.
Sitting next to him, she could feel his panic. She wanted nothing more then to make him feel better. Reaching out she laced her fingers with his. She swallowed hard before answering his question. "You look my age.... 17... maybe 18" She kept hold of his hand and tried her best to push her own confusion away. "I'm not going to lie.... Derek... I don't understand. How did you end up at the hospital? What did they do to you?" That when a thought hit her. She looked down at their laced fingers. "Do ... did my dad do something to you? Do you think he ... he had some part of this?" Couldn't that have been why they wanted her father dead. Had he done something to Derek, did he know something? It made her question who her father was.

Derek shook his head. "I don't know... I don't remember a lot. That memory of the drive-in came unexpectedly and... I can remember that my parents were in the car, but I can't remember their faces." His eyes grew distant.

The waitress came and delivered their sandwiches, smiling at them in a special way when she saw that they had moved to the same side of the bench together, and were holding hands. "Enjoy, Honey."

He squeezed Amber's hand softly and looked over at her. He felt like she was the only person who anchored him at the moment. "Amber... I don't have those answers right now. I remember that your father was with me at the hospital, and I watched him age... but he also helped me to escape once the other boys started to die." He frowned and looked to the side, as if he suspected someone might be watching them. "Uhm... let's finished supper and find a place to sleep," he suggested. "We can discuss this more privately later?"

Amber listened to Derek, giving him a small nod of understanding as the waitress brought their food. Look at the older woman she blushed slightly at the smile she set them. Her hand closed tightly around his as he squeezed her hand. Looking at him confusion filled her eyes again. "Other boys?" She questioned as he looked around. Her green eyes followed his before turning back to him. She offered him a small smile. "Okay...." She agree.
She gave his hand one last squeeze before pulling her hand free. She simple turned and picked up her cheeseburger. She didn't say anything as she ate, thought her mind was on everything. How long had Derek been in that hospital? Had her father been part of whatever was done to Derek? All the question left uneasy in her stomach. She finished up her food and sipped on her drink. She had shifted closer to Derek as another thought entered her mind. Was he really almost her fathers age, and if so what did that mean for how she felt toward him?

The taste and texture of the burger was heavenly. Derek half-closed his eyes and chewed, letting flavors and savory juices run through his mouth, eliciting memories that he never knew he had. Each bite was a sensual experience that was unsurpassed by anything the still-virginal 17-year old had ever experienced. Still, even if he had had sex... he might still think that this burger was better. When the last drops of his sugary soda had been sucked through the straw he leaned back and smiled. The few fries that still littered his plate were simply too scrawny to bother with, after the fat, juicy bites he had just experienced.

Once they were almost done, the waitress came by and asked if they wanted to order dessert, but Derek shook his head. He glanced over at Amber when the bill was set on the table. Embarrassingly, he had no money. He didn't have much, actually. Not even any ID or last name. With a start he realized that he didn't know his own last name! Derek stared at the table for a second as he tried to think of what that meant. He only had a number. Number Four.

Back
Top Bottom