Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Running Away ((Blair1216&&Lady_Squall_Lionheart))

Schulyer sighed shaking his head a little, “Jason, you’ll have to forgive sara. She’s not exactly the most politic person in the world, but she means no harm.”he said looking at Jason who looked ready to bolt. Having watched the man tear his kitchen apart in a effort to get to chad, he was worried what he’d do, but also knew that if they were all going ot be near each other, they were going to have to learn to work together.

Jason shuddered swallowing hard as vera took his hand, struggling to relax, closing his eyes for a moment as he felt fangs pressing against his lower lip, feeling threatened and overwhelmed. Maybe he wasn’t as ready as he thought to be around knew people. “We should get food.”Jason said looking for something safe to talk about, and not wanting to discuss vera just yet, because he knew eventually someone would get curious about who she was.

Maddie watched them, smiling a little as she eased into the chair next to carter, tilting her head a little. "Are you two doing okay?"She asked curious, wanting to know if they needed anything. by far one of the more nurturing and mothering types in the group despite her young age

Sara looked up at Schuyler with a huff. "I'm polite!" she snapped, looking a bit irritated. What was wrong with wanting to hold a baby? It's not like she was a threat. Not like Carter might be, or even Madison with her fire-starting. Sara was one of the least intimidating of the group with her teleporting, even if she didn't know when to shut her mouth.

As the baby stared to fuss, Vera quickly took her back from Sara and draped the baby's blanket over her shoulder so that she could nurse Gwen.

At Jason's words, Chad nodded. "I'll order some pizza," he said, standing up and taking his cell phone out. He moved toward the kitchen as dialed the number.

Vera looked up at Madison and shook her head, giving her a smile. "Oh, no, we are fine," she said, leaning in to Jason as she fed Gwen. "We are just a bit... protective of the baby."

Sara stood up and moved over to where Schuyler was standing, raising her eyebrows at him. "Where have you been all day?" she asked, tilting her head to the side, "I was going to see if you wanted to come to the beach with me, but I couldn't find you." With that, she frowed.

Jason smiled a little as he tilted his head, pressing a kiss to vera’s head, wrapping a arm around her waist as he sighed quietly. “I’m sorry…”He said sounding awkward, and out of sorts. Because he knew most normal people weren’t this protective, but he couldn’t help it. “No need. With us, you don’t need to bother hiding how you react, because we know why you do.”Maddison said smiling slightly before shrugging a little.

“Helping Maddie try to calm her mind. We went for a walk. You weren’t up when we left, so I thought you’d let you sleep.”Schluyer said smiling slightly as he looked down at her, sighing softly.

Vera leaned into Jason, holding the nursing baby close. "I hope you don't mind me being here too," she said to Madison, "I know I'm not like the rest of you, but I'd never do anything to put you in any danger. Jason's all I have, and he gave me Gwen... I belong with him." She looked at the other woman, hoping to gain her trust. She didn't want these people to see her as a threat.

Sara frowned a bit. There was no denying that it irritated her to think that he was alone with another girl... It's not that she didn't like Madison, it's just that her feelings were starting to grow for Schuyler, and it made her jealous. Frowning, Sara gave an aloof shrug and turned for the kitchen to help set the table. "Oh, well," she told him, trying to look as disappointed as she felt.

Carter stood up when the door bell rang and paid the delivery guy, bringing in the several pizzas that Chad had ordered.

When the pizza arrived, Vera cleaned Gwen and herself up, then bundled her up for a nap.

Maddie tilted her head as she studied the other woman, before looking at Jason. “I don’t know. But if Jason trusts you, you deserve the benefit of a doubt.”She said willing to trust another mutant’s decision to trust another before smiling slightly.

When they settled down to eat Jason smiled slightly as he looked around the table as he ate, trying to decide what he thought about them, before looking at chad. “They’re different then I expected.”He said frowning a little wondering why it was his bad long to end up so close to a serpent’s nature that he couldn’t even separate the two.

Looking down at the baby he was holding as she napped he sighed softly, making sure she was warm, and since he was affected by the cold just as much as she was, he enjoyed holding her to make sure she was warm enough.

Vera smiled as she ate. It was nice that Jason liked to hold the baby as much as he did, because it allowed her to eat and do other things with both hands. She truly was lucky, considering the men she grew up with had little to nothing to do with their children before a certain age, including her own father.

Chad raised his eyebrows a bit. "Different? How so?" he asked, wanting to help Jason understand. The people around him all had their own struggles. He remembered a time when Carter couldn't hold a spoon without breaking it in half, and a time when every time Schuyler felt threatened, he shifted into his other form. Then there was Madison, who still had to work on controlling her mind. Sara had it a bit easy, but only because Chad had got to her at such a young age, and the teleporting could only be used at her own will.

Sara still looked a bit irritated, not talking at dinner. She couldn't seem to shake the idea of Schuyler always being alone with Madison. It made her feel... jealous. She hated it.

Without even looking at Schuyler, she turned to Chad. "Can I be excused?"

Chad raised his eyebrows. It wasn't like Sara to not be social. "Sure, Sweetheart."

With that, Sara disappeared at the blink of an eye, teleporting upstairs. Chad looked at her empty plate on the table and huffed. "After you clean up after yourself, Sara," he called to her. Chad didn't let her get away with much, considering she was the youngest and relied on him as a father figure.

She appeared again with an annoyed expression, grabbing her plate and walking in to the kitchen with it. Vera smirked and continued to eat. Sara's display reminded her a little of herself when she still lived with her parents.

Jason tilted his head as he watched sara before looking at chad.”I’m the only one who’s incapable of separating my instincts from the human ones. I ended up more animal then human…I guess I was expecting everyone to be closer to animal then human,,,,”jason said shrugging a little.

Schulyer smiled a little, “It took a lot of practice Jason. You’re just seeing the end result.”the man said, tilting his head a little. And while he hadn’t been nearly as close to animal as Jason was, it was true. Jason just hadn’t learned how to socialize yet, and to control the instincts as well as he had. Frowning slightly at sara’s behavior he sighed quietly, knowing he’d have to talk to her.

“You just need to get used to being around us.”Maddie said smiling slightly as she ran her fingers through her hair before relaxing, trying to cheer up a man who was obviously upset about things,

Carter stood up from the table. "I'll talk to her," he said to Schuyler quietly, then followed Sara into the kitchen.

Chad smiled at Jason and shook his head. "I promise... You will eventually be at ease," he said, "It just takes time and work, but we'll get there. And hopefully, Gwen will never have to worry about controlling herself at all."

Vera leaned over put her hand on Jason's knee, rubbing it gently with a comforting touch. After the all finished eating, Chad stood from the table. "Before we run tests on Gwen, I have a bit of a late Christmas present for the three of you." He nodded toward the back door, waiting for them to follow him before heading out to the car garage. When he opened it up, several cars could be seen, one for each of the house's inhabitants. "I noticed you are still driving Vera's car, and I figured it would make you feel better to drive Gwen around in this... It had heated seats to." With that, he smirked and nodded to the new car.

Vera's eyes went wide. "Chad... this is too nice," she said, looking up at him, "Are you sure?"

Chad nodded. "I'm happy to do it. I want to."

infiniti_13fx372a_angularfront_Regular.jpg

Jason bit his lip not looking to sure about the idea before nodding. “Hopefully. Gwen shouldn’t have to.”Jason said sounding hopeful that gwen would indeed be spared the curse of instincts that strong. Looking startled then a little guilt he swallowed, realizing tha the man had gotten them something for Christmas and he hadn’t even considered getting anything for him.

“Thanks.Heated seats will be nice on those cold days.”Jason said blushing a little as he walked around the car with gwen, both inspecting the car before sighing softly. “I didn’t get you anything chad…”he said frowning, looking annoyed because he hadn’t.

Chad shook his head. "Jason, we met on Christmas Eve," he said, grinning, "Of course you didn't think to get me anything, and I wouldn't expect you to. I'm just happy you are here and trusting me." He reached over and handed Jason the keys to the car. "I wanted to give this to you because I was involved in what mutated you in the first place, and in turn, what has effected your daughter." He sighed, frowning a bit as he reached up to scratch his beard.

Vera looked up at the older man, a bit perplexed. She wondered why she felt he was so... mysterious and sad all at the same time. The man had secrets that clearly scarred him, and it was clear that he'd never be happy with himself after what he did with the mutation project. Vera just wondered what exactly happened to make him change his point of view on the project at all...

Jason made a face at that, though he had known it, it still annoyed him that he hadn’t considered it. “Well, I kind of have to trust. I need you’re help with gwen.”he pointed out, not because he didn’t trust the other, he just knew that chad had the right to know that he wasn’t trusting because he really had a choice, but because gwen needed him to trust him. And because with chad’s actions, he knew vera’s secret was safe with the man, trusting chad’s hatred for her father enough to keep her safe.

Watching chad for a moment he frowned, needing a question answered.”What changed?You walked away. What caused it?”He asked wanting to know, and wondering iif the other would trust him enough to tell him.

Chad's face paled for a moment, and Vera could tell that Jason had caught him off guard. The man rubbed a hand over his face as he thought about it... It was a hard piece of his past to look back on. Painful, even. However, he knew exactly why Jason wanted to know, and Chad wouldn't deny him of it.

"You see, I never injected anyone," he said, "I worked behind the scenes, often in labs that were not even close to the headquarters where they kept all of you. They never brought me around the people that they were mutating, in fact. They just wanted me to stay in the lab and keep creating new strings of the virus. That was my job."

He leaned against the car and sighed. "Sara? If you notice, she calls me 'dad'," he said, smirking, "That's because I found her at a very young age. Five, actually. She had been infected since she was two, taken from an orphanage like most. And the first time I was ever brought down to the headquarters that they kept all of you in, I saw her in a cage... A small cage, like the kind you would keep a small animal in."

He frowned. "You see, they never told me that they were doing this to such small children. I was always led to believe it was adults, not that it makes it any better. Don't get me wrong, I was no good guy. I understood what I was doing, but when I created that teleporting virus? I had no idea it was being used on a toddler. Not at all. And when I saw her.... I just knew I couldn't leave her... Later, I found out that she was in a small cage of copper, the one material that effects her ability to teleport. Apparently, she kept teleporting to her brother, Carter. He was fifteen at the time, and the poor teen was being isolated in a room made of steel with an electric alarm system that would shock him if he tried to break his way out."

"So, I did something insane," he said, "I knew I couldn't save all of you. It would do you more harm that good if I tried something like that. Instead, I took Sara and Carter and made a run for it. I cut the trackers out of their arms and took them into my home. I adopted them, I guess you could say. My wife was very loving to them; she was a woman who was too good for me. She is probably the only reason why Carter talks as much as he actually does. After she died two years later, I decided to start devising a plan to get a few more of you out one by one. Schuyler was a few years later, then Madison. When I went back for you, Jason, I found out you managed to get yourself out all on your own, and that intrigued me greatly..." He smiled and shrugged. "And it made me wonder if, one day, we could become a strong enough force to lead a revolt. To break in to the headquarters, let all of them out, and lead them to freedom. It would be difficult, but as you can see, all of you together would be an incredible force."

Vera raised her eyebrows. "A revolt? Like... You want to lead them into a civil war with the government?"

Chad shrugged. "Maybe. You think they'd stand a chance against the mutants that they created? They would be in for a rude awakening, that's for sure."

Jason looked down at the girl in his arms, a soft pained growl escaping as he considered what he had done. Was he any better, mutating gwen before she’d had a chance to be a normal child? Swallowing hard as he considered what the other was saying he smirked a little at chad’s words, glancing up at the other man. “I’m a intriguing man. And it was a freak accident, I haven’t tried doing it since then.”he said shrugging because it had scared him badly to see one of the more vicious guards staring at him blankly and waiting for directions. Having hypnotized him with a look, and managed to get him to look away just long enough for Jason to walk out. Frowning slightly he stared down at the floor, thinking before sighing softly.

“…some of us. Yes. Some of the mutants were better at the fighting. Some were made for up close and personal kills, and others, like sara and that teleporting…would be better for long range. It’ll be hard planning for everyone’s talents.”

Chad nodded. "Exactly," he said, "Because you haven't been trained to use it... If you practiced, you could be a real threat." He shrugged and started to walk back toward the house, leading them down into the lab. "That's nothing that you need to be worried about right now, however. It's just a thought." At the mention of Sara, he shook his head. "Sara would not fight." His tone held a sense of authority that Vera had not heard from Chad yet, making it clear that there would be no exceptions. The little girl he saved all those years ago was apparently off limits when it came to a possible revolt.

He turned to Jason and smiled. "Would you like to hold her while I take her blood?" he asked, nodding to Gwen.

Vera bit her lip, feeling a bit nervous about her infant having blood drawn, but trusting Chad enough to allow him to do it.

Chad started to sterilize a needle. "I'm only taking a very small about to test on," he said, "Nothing more."

Jason shrugged thinking about it before looking at chad, raising a eyebrow. “She’s all of what, 18? She knows nothing of death, and is young enough to think she’s immortal. I think you will find her on the battlefield if it happens, no matter what you say.”he said sighing quietly remembering a time when he’d been that young, but the nearly 29 year old was tired, and war and his own mutation had worn away that edge.

Growling slightly as he took the baby, swallowing hard as he held gwen, “Just a little.”he said trying hard not to react at the idea of gwen bleeding, even if just a little bit.

Chad went about taking blood from the bottom of the infant's foot, then put a band aid over it. "There we go," he said, wincing a bit as Gwen started to cry. "I'm sorry."

Vera smiled and shook her head, reaching down to stroke the baby's soft hair. "It's okay. She will be fine, Chad," she said, "Though I do think it's time to get her home and in her crib for the night."

Chad stored the small vile of blood in a small fridge, then nodded. "You two be careful on your way home, okay?" he said, "The roads are icy..."

"We will," Vera promised, "And we'll see you tomorrow?"

"Of course," Chad said, smiling, "If you come tomorrow evening, I promise we will have something better to eat than pizza."

Jason growled softly as he tried to calm the baby, lowering his head to nuzzle her a little. “Don’t worry about it chad.”he muttered looking amused even though something in him told him to hurt chad for upsetting gwen, before looking at at vera.”You drive. You’ve been driving cars more then me, I usually have the bike.”he said shrugging a little before nodding. “We’ll be by tomorrow. I have to work, but we’ll come out after.”

Moving towards the car he opened the door before pausing thinking about it. “vera, you take the new car and gwen, I’ll drive the older car home.”he decided wanting vera and gwen in the safest car instead of her old one.now that he had a option of giving her a even safer car, he was going to take advantage of it.

Vera nodded and took the baby from him and placed her securely in her car seat. "Okay..." she said, looking a little nervous about it. It was dark, the roads were icy, and she hated to think he'd be on the road in her old car alone. However, she trusted his judgement. Taking the keys to the new car, she slid in the drover's seat. "I'll see you at home." Giving him a smile, she backed out of Chad's long driveway and started for the house.

“Thanks chad.”Jason said smiling as he headed for the other car, following her home. Trying not to think to hard as he considered everyone he’d met tonight.

“Chad?”Maddie said softly stepping out into the garage, looking concerned wondering what the two new people would do to the way their life was. “Are you sure we can trust her?”She asked concerned because she was scared that the human girl would turn on them eventually, despite being with Jason and having a mutant daughter, she thought it would be to much eventually. Worried because she had no idea what to think of a woman who’d be keeping their secret without being a mutation of herself.

Chad turned to Madison gave her a smile. He walked over to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, leading back into the house for the night. "She has a secret of her own," he said vaguely, "And in order for her secret to be kept, our's must be guarded as well... So, yes. I think she can be trusted."

As they walked back into the house, Carter was in the kitchen pouring himself a cup of coffee. "Sara's gone," he said, though there wasn't too much worry in his voice. Sara was always disappearing somewhere, especially when she was upset, but she always came home. "Don't worry about it. I'll stay up and wait for her."

Chad frowned and shook his head. "Why is she so upset?"

Carter shrugged. "She wouldn't tell me."

Turning toward Madison, Chad frowned. "Was that all you were worried about, Maddie?" he asked, looking concerned.

When they got home, Vera changed Gwen and herself into pajamas and settled on the couch with the baby in her arms, her shirt pulled down so she could nurse the child before putting her to bed. "So, what do you think of them?" she asked, turning to Jason when he walked in. "I thought they were all nice... Maybe a bit like a dysfunctional family, but nice."

“Where’s schulyer?”Maddie said frowning at the news that sara was gone, looking worried. Because she knew schulyer’s secret, even if the man wouldn’t say it outloud.Looking up at chad she sighed softly, knowing that chad had to know anyways, and that he would be worried either way. “Schulyer’s in love with sara. I’m worried about them.”She said softly, worry in her look because she knew nothing good could come from this.

Carter and Chad both looked at Madison with raised eyebrows. Turning toward the stairs, Carter's fists were clenched. "He better not be..."

Chad stopped Carter and shook his head. "Stop, Carter," he said gently, "Go sit and calm down. I think Schuyler is upstairs. I'll go see if he knows where Sara ran off to." With that, he climbed the stairs and headed for the last room on the left, knocking gently, then opening the door.

"Schuyler?" Chad called, looking in the room at the other man, "Sara is gone... Do you happen to know where she went? Or why she's upset?"

When they got home, Vera changed Gwen and herself into pajamas and settled on the couch with the baby in her arms, her shirt pulled down so she could nurse the child before putting her to bed. "So, what do you think of them?" she asked, turning to Jason when he walked in. "I thought they were all nice... Maybe a bit like a dysfunctional family, but nice.

Schulyer looked up from the book he was reading when chad knocked, frowning slightly when chad came in. “No.I thought she was downstairs.”he shrugged his look growing worried as he considered what the other had asked, wondering where sara had gone. If she could find him, she at least usually told him where she was going. “She was upset earlier that I was helping maddie.”he said wincing a little, looking down at the book he had been reading, looking guilty now, and trying to figure out what to say and how to find sara.

When they got home, Vera changed Gwen and herself into pajamas and settled on the couch with the baby in her arms, her shirt pulled down so she could nurse the child before putting her to bed. "So, what do you think of them?" she asked, turning to Jason when he walked in. "I thought they were all nice... Maybe a bit like a dysfunctional family, but nice.

Chad's eyebrows scrunched together. Well, that was certainly typical of Sara. She was a very loving person, but she also took thinks out of context and jumped to conclusions often... He just hated she was hurting over a guy, even if it was Schuyler.

"Well, let me know if she shows up," he said with a sigh, "I'll be down in the lab." He ran a hand through his hair, trying not to take his frustration out on Schuyler. If he really was in love with the girl that Chad called his daughter, then he didn't want any bitter feelings between them.

“They were interesting.”Jason said smiling a little as he sat down on the couch next to her, dressed in his own pj’s, sighing softly as he settled in close to her, content to be with her. “I don’t think they get out of the house enough-“Ha, as if he was one to be talking about being social with other people-“but I don’t think they’ll be any harm to have around either.”

Schulyer nodded a little trying not to worry as he settled back into his book, trying not to think to hard about sara being missing. Surely she was just going out for a bit, she’d be back. Sighing as he started to read, listening for the woman to return.

Back
Top Bottom