Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Overneath the Path of Misinterpretation (Alvis Alendran&Malicious Lullaby)

Esther smiled at Gerald, a more friendly and warmer familiar face that made her relax. That meant it hadn’t been a mistake or a joke that she was invited which put a lot of the worries she had to ease, a little bit. “Thank you. But I should be fine. I know where it is.” She spoke politely and warmly as she passed by him and even gave her coat off to someone who offered to take it. She felt weird taking it off, it being what she was using to hide behind but once it was off and her dress was in full view, okay, she was still feeling really self conscious.

Her hands clasped together tightly behind her, also effectively straightening her back and posture and pushing her chest out which helped and she walked to the West Drawing room. She didn’t remember which room it was. She simply followed where she was hearing chatter. Walking into the room, she sort of poked her head in and then followed suit with her body, smiling nervously a little bit. She wasn’t sure if she should say hi to people she knew, which was three so far, or get a drink or just remain invisible. She wanted to opt for the last two actually.

Harrison turned, and smiled as Esther poked her head in. He crossed towards her, not wanting to raise his voice to ensure he was heard. Esther looked decidedly nervous, and he certainly didn't want to compound that.
"Esther. I'm glad you were able to make it out tonight. Welcome back." He said to her with a warm smile. He had a brief flash of the last time they'd been spending time together, but he pushed that aside. Not the time, nor the place. He offered his arm to Esther. "If you'd like, I can introduce you to the crowd that's here."

Aaron looked as a small number of cars seemed to be on approach. Well, at least he'd have something to do. He grinned as he recognized the lead vehicle. Oh, this was going to be rich. The VIper rolled into the lane, adn pulled up. The driver was a rather big man, topping out a little over six feet in height, and solidly built. He was wearing a dark blue suit quite well, and he grinned.
"Hey Aaron, keepin' the place in good shape?" he driver asked as he tossed his keys to the other man. Aaron nodded.
"Best I can. West drawing room. We should grab a beer next week." Aaron answered.
"Fuckin' A man. I'll give ya a call. Keep my baby safe." Aaron nodded, adn ran the car towards the parking area. The party was about to get rather interesting.

Esther managed a more confident and brighter smile in Harrison’s direction when he spotted her. Wow, the man could definitely wear a suit and the full affect of it was beaming straight at her. Her heart beat faster and if possible, she felt more nervous than she had been since she got the invite. For the past week, she kept having dreams about an Adonis of a man and in the end, it’d always be his face, his smile and then the dream would end. Talk about disappointment. Okay, she might have a bit of a crush on him and finally see what Mallory was talking about. But the difference, Esther had no intention of acting on it. And she certainly couldn’t sleep with him again. Oh no, that entire deal had disaster written all over it.

“Hi Harrison.” She said softly. “Thank you for inviting me. I’m certain, now more than I was earlier this week, that this invite was not a joke.” Her nerves were getting the better of her. As if hesitantly, she took his arm, unsure but willing and looked up at him. “I’d like that. Um, I’d also like to stop by the alcohol table. I fear I’m in need of a strong dose of liquid courage.” By taking his arm, surely he’d feel just how much she was shaking. This was intimidating. She had never seen such beautiful, well dressed and shining people before. This must be what heaven is like. Beautiful people. Everywhere.

Harrison had to smile at her words.
"Of course it wasn't a joke. I did tell you you'd be on the list after all. I'm a man of my word after all." Harrison said to her, and brought her over to the table. The woman cocked her head at Esther, knowing who she was through the word from the other staff members. Esther had something of a reputation now. Fortunately, it was nothing that would be spoken, nor was it anything that would be construed as bad. She reached under the counter, and placed two shot glasses down, and plied a bottle, filling them with a light amber liquid, and sliding them in front of Harrison and Esther. It was a rich, smooth whiskey, only a gentle, light burn, but one that seemed to settle nicely in the stomach instead of the harsh, intense burn that came from heavier scotches and the like. After that, she poured out a glass that held a vibrantly glowing wine, and slid it beside Esther's glass. The woman nodded to her, adn then went to tend to another person approaching the table.

"Well, bottoms up I suppose." Harrison said with a smile, lifting his glass, and knocking the shot back. He sighed as the warmth spread through him, and he had to admit he was already enjoying himself a bit more than he had been previously.

“I never doubted that. I guess I didn’t think you were being serious.” She laughed softly, accompanying him to the bar and smiled at the woman tending to drinks. Esther had no idea of any kind of reputation she had at this estate among the staff and quite frankly, she didn’t want to know. Otherwise she just might never show herself there ever again, never come back to it. She didn’t like being in the spotlight and she tried really hard to stay invisible if it meant the other option was being noticed for something she didn’t want to be noticed for!

A shot of something strong and beautiful amber was set before and her hand moved to it before freezing and watching as a beautiful wine was set before her as well. She wondered how this woman would know considering she didn’t even hear Harrison say what they wanted and Esther hadn’t even gotten a chance to since she already knew.
Glancing to Harrison as she picked up her shot, she raised a brow and bit back a smile that could turn into a laugh. Bottoms up, indeed. She downed the shot and the liquid went down rather smoothly which shocked her but she liked it. It definitely helped to settle her crazy and wild nerves. Placing the glass on the bar, she then picked up her wine and took a sip. Her eyes closed as she savored it and relaxed even more. Oh god, she was an alcoholic.

Opening her eyes, Esther looked at the man in a shining black suit. “Thank you. So, you were going to introduce me to people?” She had alcohol now. She could handle this now and not malfunction.

Harrison nodded.
"Now that you're adequately fortified against the world, yes I am." He led her part of the way over, before Wyn and Nathanial approached.
"Esther! It's good to see you again! We'd heard that you might be making it here tonight." Wyn said with a large smile that seemed warm and genuine.
"And certainly enjoyable to have the chance to see you for more than a passing moment." Nathanial added, giving Esther a smile. Wyn leaned her shoulder into Nathanial absently, just liking the contact.
"These two I'm sure you remember." Harrison said with a grin.

Gerald shook his head with a smile as the man breezed past him, clapping the older man on the shoulder. This was not a man who was insecure about himself in any way. He seemed to be approaching the party as if he owned the place. And while he most certainly didn't, that level of confidence made it clear that there was not a single thing that he would fear in this house.

She laughed and her cheeks heated a little out of embarrassment. She was such a sad excuse for a human being. She was in her twenties and acting like she was a high school rager. Normally she went to these kind of parties or any kind of party or gathering with Mallory. This was the first time Esther had gone by herself.

Upon seeing Wyn, she relaxed instantly. That woman had something about her that made anyone relax. Better than any kind of alcohol. “Likewise. You look stunning.” She looked back to Harrison as if about to ask about Wyn’s remark about the fact she might be coming but she just glanced back to Wyn and smiled. “I spent all week since I got the invite looking for a dress. Otherwise I might have turned up in a burlap sack.” She shrugged. Well that was easy.

Turning to Nathaniel, she was surprisingly normal considering how she had been when they first met; ogling Wyn’s incredibly beautiful and devastatingly handsome husband. “But of course. Wonderful to see you and Wyn again.” She meant it too. It helped knowing more than Harrison and some of his staff.
“I don’t think I could ever forget. Wyn’s singing voice is unforgettable and well Nathaniel…is…” She turned red and quickly took a sip of her wine, as if that would be enough to change the subject. “How are you all doing?”

Wyn chuckled.
"Well thank you Esther. It's always good to hear someone appreciating my singing. And we all know how Nathanial is." She said, looking up at her husband briefly. He sighed, and took on a mournful look.
"Indeed, my plight is well known to many. To bear teh look of one such as I..." He said with all the effort of a stage actor trying to sell Shakespeare to an audiance.
"Your cross to bear, I'm sure." Harrison pointed out with a smirk. Nathanial cracked a smile, and chuckled. Wyn slid her gaze over to one of the center pieces of the room, and then back to Harrison.
"I have to ask. Does that piano still work?" She asked. Harrison nodded.
"Of course. I have it tuned monthly. After all, I brought it into the estate for that party you were at a while ago. Planning to play up for us?" Wyn shifted her gaze, looking a little shy. It actually made her look utterly adorable. "We'd be honoured you know."
"Maybe in a little bit."
"I'll look forward to it."

He swept into the room, his stride even and sure.
"Hey Harrison, nice of you to remember me!" He called, his voice carrying. Harrison grinned, and turned to see the younger man standing in the doorway.
"Oh Gods, who let you in here Dolph?" Harrison replied.
"Blame Gerald. And Aaron. They told me where to find ya after all." The man approached, and vigourously shook Harrison's hand. They both clapped the other on the shoulder.
"How the hell are you Dolph?"
"Great! Glad to be back in town!" He turned, adn saw Esther. "And I don't know this lady. Harrison, who am I looking at?" Harrison shook his head.
"This is Esther. Was a client of mine. I found I enjoyed her company, and didn't want to lose touch. So I thought she might like to come along. Dolph offered her his hand.
"Hey Esther. I'm Dolph. Damned good to meet ya."

“Of course.” She wanted to elaborate more but she probably wouldn’t be able to. The last time Esther sang was before her parents died and that was quite a few years ago. Her mother used to say that one could spot Esther coming up the block from school with her ear phones in her ears everyday easily. But one didn’t need to see, they just needed to hear to know it was her. She would always sing when she walked home. It never occurred to her that just because she wore ear phones, didn’t mean no one would be able to hear her sing. She got over that shyness real quick.
Taking a sip of her wine, she enjoyed the little back and forth between the three of them and grinned. Yeah, she was glad she came tonight. If not for anything else, just to be in the company of three people that really made her feel…comfortable.

Glancing where Wyn was glancing, she spotted the piano and longingly. She wished she learned how to play. That would have been fun. Really fun. Smiling at Wyn, she touched her back comfortingly. “Likewise.”
It felt as though the air in the room sort of changed a little bit. A man ‘strode’ right in as if he owned the joint and when Esther saw, she raised a brow. Now there was a man who knew himself so well, he exuded it so intensely she could actually feel it. She was taking a sip of her wine she heard what his name was. Dolph. If his name was short for Dolphin, she might lose her mind. She never knew anyone who named their kid after an animal or mammal or reptile or some kind of wildly free creature that wasn’t human.

He turned to her and her eyes widened. Oh goodness, don’t. You. Dare. Ask. It! She kept trying to tell herself but she had alcohol in her hands, which meant a loose tongue and the beginnings of no filter. “Hi. Pleasure to meet you. Like a Dolphin?” But she didn’t ask it smugly or like it was a joke. She asked it like it was an honest to goodness question, genuinely curious if his full first name was Dolphin.

Dolph cocked his head, looking at Esther as she asked. Dolphin...? The hell? He smiled.
"Nah, Adolphus. But hell, my own grandmother doesn't call me that." He said casually, looking around. "You still serving the good stuff tonight?"
"Of course." Harrison assured him.
"Be back in a few then." Dolph swaggered off to find something s[iritous to drink. Wyn sighed.
"Been awhile since we've seen him." She pointed out.
"Indeed. Almost a year. He seems unchanged."
"He'll never change. He's Dolph. He'll be one of the handful of things in the world that you can count on to never change."
"Now, we'll be back. And likely soon. But I did want Esther to meet a few of the other people here tonight." Harrison said with a note of faint apology.
"BY all means. We look forward to your return." Nathanial said with another of his smiles at Esther. Wyn glanced at him, and they seemed to be deciding something silently.

Harison led Esther to another person who seemed to be on their own, staring down at their smartphone. She was a reasonably tall woman, with her dark hair pulled back in a tight bun. She wore a very well taliored pantsuit, and had small glasses perched farther down her nose than normal. she looked for all teh world like some kind of satanic librarian.
"Really Karen? Are you working at my social gathering?" Harrison asked her. The woman looked up and cocked an eyebrow. She turned her gaze to Esther, and for just a second it was a hard, piercing stare, until it softened once she got to actually look at Esther.
"Yes Harrison, I am. It's why you pay me." She answered, smiling slightly. It made her face seem much less forboding, and more inviting.
"Then until the morning, you're fired. So stop working and say hello to Esther here. Esther, this is Karen. She's my accountant, and a friend for a while now." Karne nodded, and offered her hand as she tucked her phone away.
"A pleasure Esther."

Maybe she should stop drinking. Yeah, that might be a good idea otherwise she might go around calling people dolphins. Shaking her head, she managed a meek smile. “It’s actually a lovely name.” She liked that name. Adolphus. It made more sense than Dolphin, that’s for sure. In his departure, Esther helped herself to more of her wine which was very quickly going down her throat and into her stomach. One glass didn’t do the trick but it did give her the courage. With the exception of the dolphin fiasco.

Looking up to Harrison, she was a little bit thankful for his want to have her meet people. Keep her walking, help the alcohol not to sit in her empty stomach. Probably for good reason. She nodded her head to Wynn and Nathanial and watched as Harrison led them to a woman who looked incredibly engrossed in her smart phone. This is why Esther didn’t have a smart phone but the way the woman was dressed, it was clear she was a business woman. However, the look she gave to Esther made her insides freeze. Jeez, if looks could kill. But when it softened, it was like a world of pressure lifted from both of their shoulders and she relaxed, not afraid that she’d turn her into stone. Placing her hand in Karen’s, she smiled at her. “Likewise Karen."

Karen's handshake was a firm one, a business shake. One of respect and calm power, but by no means one that would cause pain, or even discomfort. Karen was a person who had clearly taken it upon herself to enter into a business world, and had done so boldly, and with no hesitation. And she had clearly done well.
"So I assume that she was the pro-bono case that you logged?" Karen asked Harrison.
"Yes it was, and I'd do it again without a second thought." Harrison answered.
"You Esther, are a lucky woman to have landed Harrison as your lawyer for that case. But I'm quite sure you know that already. So fromt eh case notes, I know you're a school teacher. How's that treating you these days?" She askedlacing her fingers together in front of her.

Dolph knocked back two ashots, and then took a glass of bourbon with him to go see Wyn and Nathanial. He caught the look they were exchanging. he pointed to them as he closed. I know that look. I've seen it before. Are you two actually thinking about it again?" He asked them. Wyn shrugged helplessly.
"It's been a long time since we last did that Dolph. Maybe we're curious about it again. Something wrong with that?" She asked.
"Nah. You guys know you're good people in my books. Enjoy yourselves tonight then."

Esther’s handshake wasn’t weak at all though maybe in comparison to Karen’s, it might have been a touch. She wasn’t sure. But when it came to shaking hands with someone, Esther always tried to put whatever confidence she had in it. Her dad always said that you can tell a lot about a person by just a handshake. She took that seriously.
She smiled at her kindly and nodded her head. “Yeah, it was incredibly last minute. I think he gave my roommate who at the time was his secretary or assistant or whatever a super hard time. I’d assume at least and honestly expect nothing less.” She shrugged. “Teaching is doing really great. One of my students has left for the rest of the year. He’s a senior who is about to get published. One of mine, getting published.” Now she was smiling so brightly now. Talking about teaching, it was clear she was even more comfortable. “It was a really proud moment.”

Karen nodded as Esther spoke.
"And rightly so! That is quite an accomplishment, being published at his age. I do hope you congratulated him quite heartily for his achievement." She said with a smile. Karen drifted her eyes over to Dolph. "I see you still invited him along." She said dryly.
"He's a good man Karen. Loud, yes, and very brash, but he's a good man." Harrison said firmly.
"Oh, I have no doubts of that. You're just lucky that We're friends. After all, he has offered me quite a bit of money in the past to work for him."
"I value your friendship too Karen. We'll talk later. Still a few people that Esther ought to meet." Harriosn said with a smile, and led Esther away.

There was a pair of people chattering away in the corner. One of them was...huge. Not overly tall, maybe approaching six feet, but he was wide, massive shoulders and arms made him an imposing figure indeed. His hands were massive, but his eyes were light and animated, and he seemed to smile quite often. The other was a tall blond woman, strongly built, and her hands were calloused to show her no stranger to working with them. The dress she wore was fairly simple, showing the curves she had, wrapping her in a faintly shimmering blue silk. Her arms showed lines of muscle, making her well built, but not overly so. She turned cie blue eyes towards them as they approached and smiled.

"Harrison! Who is this you're bringing to us?" She asked. Her voice was strong, and faintly accented. It sounded...Nordic, maybe even Scandinavian.
"This is Esther. Esther, this is Euridice, another old friend of mine. And this large gentleman is Kothari, the city's District Attourney." Kothari offered his hand with a smile.
"Glad to met you miss." He said. His voice had the faint tinge of a German accent, barely percetable if you didn't strain to hear it. But despite his size, his demeanour was incredibly disarming.

Esther took a sip of her wine and nodded her head. What she didn’t expect was for Karen to say what she did which made her chortle on her wine a little bit. Thankfully, she didn’t make a mess, no wine dribbled down her chin but it did go down the wrong pipe and she coughed to clear the bit of choking feeling that came. Her cheeks turned incredibly red and she averted her gaze, thankful that the woman was quick to change the subject to Dolph. It gave her enough time to recover enough until Harrison decided to introduce her to more people. “A pleasure to meet you Karen.” Her cheeks were still burning red.

They walked to two other people now, very…well built. That didn’t even seem enough to describe them but it was enough for her. She seemed so small standing before them and smiled softly, shyly. “A pleasure to meet you both.” District Attorney. Oh goodness. She’d be taking to the grave what she and Alex did, that’s for sure.
Harrison’s friends were certainly something else. A wide variety mix of people. All enough to intimidate the lowly school teacher.

“How do you all know each other?”

Euridice smiled as Esther spoke.
"Well, Harrison has done some legal work for pretty much everyone in the room before. And some of us in here went to school together, back in the day." She supplied.
"That was a long time ago Princess." Kothari quipped.
"Oh shut up Kothari. Don't pay too much attention to him, he's kind of a twit." She added the last with a smile at Esther.
"So are we missing anyone?" Kothari asked Harrison.
"Lloyd should be along eventually, and a few strays here and there. But mostly everyone is here. I figure another twenty minutes, and I'll have the food served out."
"Looking forward to it."

Wyn very carefully han her hand along the side of the piano. It was a beautiful instrument, but it also seemed a little sad. After all, it was used so rarely. So much quality. And so little use. She very carefully lifted the cover off of the keys, and ran her fingers along the keys. No plastic here, but fine Italian marble. Onyx for the black keys, it felt amazing on the fingers. She sighed, and slid onto the bench, rolling her shoulders to loosen them. She thought a few moments, trying to think of somethign she could play. She ran her fingers along the keys again, before she very faintly touched a few keys down. She noted that teh chatter around the room started to die down. They all knew what was coming, adn no one wanted to miss it. She closed her eyes, adn her hands began to move. music began to float from the piano, before she had played for more than a few bars, she began to sing, very quietly, but the chatter around the room faded away from her. And so she played. And it seemed that time held still for a moment, as Wyn smiled, adn felt the sound pour through her. This was what she had always been best at, what she honestly felt she had been born to do. Music, in all it's myriad forms.

“Oh, Caughlin is coming?” She smiled. She hadn’t seen him…in forever it seemed. She liked being around him. Never a dull moment with him and he always made her laugh. She could use some laughter right about now. Or…a private room with Harrison. But we all know that the latter would be a very bad idea.
The soft keys of the piano filtered through the entire room and as the chatter began to died down, eyes turned in Wyn’s direction, Esther’s even. She watched in absolute amazement as the woman played and sang such a beautiful song with even more beautiful skills and a voice to match it. It was heaven to her ears. The more she watched Wyn sing and show the world her musical talent, it made Esther want to sing again. But even she knew that it would take the force of a miracle—or just plain force—to make her sing again. As far as musical talent went, Esther had none. The only instrument she had always been able to play was her vocals. Her mother didn’t understand how or why considering no one in her family was really musically gifted. It just came from listening to music a lot and picking up different styles and making her own. She missed it.

Even when she was driving from home to her work, she’d turn the music on and a song she’d sing all the time back in the day would come on. The urge would come and then she’d think of her parents. She’d think of how she just couldn’t sing if they couldn’t hear it. No one knew Esther could sing. It’s not like anyone was missing out. Besides, it’s been so long, she was probably terrible and maybe finally went tone-deaf.

Yeah, likely.

As Wyn let the song fade, she smiled as the room applauded her. She waved to them, and they all snickered, and clapped just a little louder. The mood fo the room had been light, but now it seemed to border on jubilant. Wyn stood up, and listened to a few mocking groans from teh peopel.
"Just taking a break. I'll play again." She assured them. Nathanial offered her a hand to rise, and she smiled as she took it. They head to teh bar, Nathanial lifting a tumbler of brandy, while Wyn smiled and knocked back a shot of vodka with no apparent discomfort. And then another. She took a glass of it next, and began to nurse that.

Harrison was watching Wyn as she drank.
"My Gods that woman can drink far better than she has any right to." He observed.
"She is Russian remember. Grew up there. She used to drink DOlph under the table if they stuck to vodka when we were back in school. Funny as hell to watch really." Euridice pointed out. She had a smile on her face that looked as though she took some personal enjoyment out of Dolph losing such a contest.

Esther clapped among the throng of the audience, clearly appreciative of Wyn’s talent and ability to floor a roomful of people. Consider her floored. Turning back to Harrison, Euridice and Kothari, she engaged back into the conversation. She didn’t talk much. It took a while before Esther opened up. The wine helped. Speaking of wine, hers ran empty. “Excuse me.” She nodded to the three of them before walking to the bar. She didn’t even have to open her mouth. She set the wine glass on the bar and it was refilled before she could have actually kindly requested and it wasn’t a shot of wine. It was a substantial amount. She took a small sip. This one she’d be nursing.

"Glad you enjoyed the song Esther." Wyn said calmly from nearby, seeming even more settled now that she'd done a song. Nathaniel kissed the top of Wyn's head, adn moved off with his drink, speaking to Karen. The woman who seemed always so calm, and in control had a faint blush on her face when Nathaniel smiled at her. It seemed that no woman was immune to his charms.

"So Harrison, are you and Esther...?" Euridice asked.
"No. No, we're not together. But I thought she could use the distraction from her normal life, and figured...why not? She's always been good company. And no one here would be a problem. So here she is." Harrison explained.
"I think she'll fit in just fine around here. Everyone seems to like her so far." Kothari said amiably. The room felt a little fuller a moment later when a well dressed older gentleman entered with a grin. Caughlin Lloyd had arrived.

Esther smiled warmly at Wyn and turned to face her, placing her glass on the bar, but keeping it nearby since she obviously wasn’t done with it. “It was beautiful Wyn. You’re so talented. Plus, you have some major balls to be able to sing in front of everyone. I had a hard enough time just singing in front of my parents and they were my parents.” She felt more relaxed, that’s for sure. The earlier edge and nervousness wasn’t so prominent but it was still there. However, it didn’t and would no longer deter from Esther enjoying her time here. She needed this. Now, she didn’t really do much. Her life was her job and that was it. And this past week given everything, she realized it was no longer going to be enough.

“You make me want to sing again.” She offered kindly. “Um, it might be from the alcohol in me, though I did drink it like it was liquid courage, but I was wondering if perhaps, possibly—and feel free to say no because I certainly wouldn’t want to mess you up—I could maybe, perhaps, possibly…j-join you up there? If and when you decide to do another song.” At this point, Esther looked down at her hand which were fiddling together, like she had a real hard time to just ask. She did, because just imagining the possibility of singing in front of all these people after so many years made the nerves come back full throttle. But the way Esther saw it, if she didn’t try, what was the point of anything? Otherwise she’d be a hypocrite considering the constant advice and encouragement she gave her students.

Wyn's face had a rather radiant smile blossoming on it as Esther asked her question.
"Sure, absolutely! I'd love to do a song with you Esther!" She said brightly. Wyn took a thoughful pose a moment. "Do you know the song Somewhere? It's made as a duet anyway, and I know how to play it." She seemed much more energised at the thought of being able to potentially do something with a bit more... complexity. Wyn loved music in all it's forms, and anything that might be able to challenge her a little, even just in making sure she got her part right in the song, that was more than enough to keep her interested.

Lloyd crossed to Harrison, and grinned.
"About time you threw another of these things Harrison! Iwas beginning to think that you were going to just start taking up the life of a hermit!" Lloyd chided gently. Harrison shrugged.
"Well, I'm not. As you can see you miserable old bastard. Glad you can make it. I've got some marvelous prohibition era rotgut behind the bar for you." He replied. Lloyd brightened.
"Is it any good?"
"No, it's terrible. Burns and claws all teh way down, and doesn't sit too well either."
"Perfect! I'll get us some shots!" Lloyd began to amble his way over to the bar table. Euridice just stared at Harrison.
"What?"
"So it's a terrible drink. And the two of you are going to do shots of it. Knowing it's terrible." She stated.
"That's right."
"I will never understand the two of you."

Esther felt her lips upturn into a growing smile. She worried Wyn would have hated that idea. Not because of having to share the stage or limelight. Wyn didn’t seem like the type. She just worried it would have been a no. Not everyone enjoys a duet. “Yeah?” She laughed lightly, feeling nervous but feeling even more relaxed. Jeez, these people were beautiful but so nice and definitely knew how to make an outsider, someone who certainly didn’t feel like they belonged, welcome. “I know that song. Although I might be rusty. Not on the song. Just…singing in general. I haven’t sung anything really since my parents died.” She shrugged. “I hope you don’t mind singing with someone who might be tone deaf.” She laughed.

"Oh, I've sang karaoke with everyone in this room at least once. Trust me, if you have any practice, you'll be better off than half of them." Wyn assured her with a wink. "Come on, we'll get you tuned up over by the piano." Wyn lifted her drink, and walked with a bit of a light spring in her step back to the piano. She only had to sit down for the conversation to die off a little. She looked up at Esther.

"So, any warm up you'd like to do?" She asked, her hands straying along the keys of the piano, a few quiet notes stretching out absently. It actually sounded nice, like it was something made to soothe the nerves of anyone within hearing range. It seemed that Wyn knew a few tricks about performances that most might not think of.

Lloyd appraoched the bar, adn walked away almost instantly with the shots of rot gut. He had a small tray of them, a dozen shots on it. He approached Harrison and the others.
"I borught some for everyone!" He declared. Kothari chuckled, and Euridice rolled her eyes.

That honestly made Esther feel a lot better actually. “Okay.” She said a little meekly but she grabbed her wine glass and walked along towards the piano. Wyn, apparently was serious about warming up and she quickly shook her head. Clearing her throat, she bit her lower lip. “I don’t think so. U-Unless you have any suggestions? Or you know, we could just get right into the song.” Because depending on how she did, in front of everyone after so many years, Esther would get drunk. “Unless you want to warm up?”

Back
Top Bottom