Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Overneath the Path of Misinterpretation (Alvis Alendran&Malicious Lullaby)

Harrison was so much more at ease than he had been in a long time. Maybe it was the day, maybe it was the tour, maybe it was the company, or some combination of all three. But one way or another, he felt...free. The stairs that led him downstairs and to the foor that would give access to the gardens were nearby, and once he opened the door, the scent of carefully cultivated flowers filled his senses. Knee high stone containers held earth and flowers in a dazzling array of colours that showed careful work by someone who clearly loved their work.
"Takes a team of six gardeners to keep this place going. I wasn't going to have the gardens, but my good friend pointed out that the estate wold always look half finished without them. So here they are. I'm told they're very impressive." He smiled as he spoke the last, giving him a bit of a carefree sense.

Hrothgar waited as the small woman crossed to him.
"Well, she's in really rough shape Hrothgar. Do you know what happened?" She asked.
"Not in detail. But she'll be all right?" Hrothgar asked.
"Physically, sure. Mentally? Hard to say. She looks like she's been through a hell of a time. If she needs someone to talk to, well, I'm better with that than I am with first aid. You know where to find me."
"Thank you Maria." The much smaller woman left the apartment, and Hrothgar went to sit beside the couch that Mallory was sleeping on. When she woke it might be good to have a friendy face nearby.

Esther followed him down the stairs and then out to the gardens. Her eyes completely drank in every single part of the gardens that her eyes could see. She bit her lower lip and walked forward, hearing what Harrison was saying but also completely floored. It was the most beautiful garden she had ever seen. “Wow.” She whispered, completely stunned. “That is…This is…” She turned around to look at him. “This is absolutely stunning. Honestly, if this tour keeps up, I’ll be turning into a raging lunatic fan girl.” She laughed a little bit. “How is it that you have like your own world by having this estate and yet you’ve no one to share it with? Come on, you’re Harrison Trenton. Any girl would die at your feet.” She said softly. “Weren’t you and she-who-must-not-be-named going down that track?”

Harrison paused, considering. That was a rather personal question, one that was more than slightly cutting. No one to share it with. Well that was more than true.
"I had my work. And that kept me busy. I didn't have time to really think about things. I had to get through law school. And get work. And build myself a reputation. I stopped to take stock when I was made partner. And I realized I'd lost more than a decade. So many years gone, but I'd made it. And since then? Suppose I've just never found someone that really...felt right, you know? She-who-must-not-be-named was...well, fun. It was never going to be something long term. Not for me, and I never insinuated that it would be more than what it was. It might be a little cruel, but...it is what it is." He explained. Towards the end it wasn't certain he was explaining it to Esther, he was looking past the gardens, out at the foothills. Like he was looking for something. He shook himself. "Sorry, got a little serious there for a moment.

Ouch. She kind of felt bad now. For him and for Mallory. But then she shook herself to reality and knew once more that if she forgave Mallory right away like this—Esther knew in herself she could forgive her at some point, but not right now—then it’d be completely pointless. Then no one would have learned a thing. Then it’d go back to the same thing as it was. People like Mallory would think it’s okay to get away with shit like that and never learn from it. She already missed her, missed her like crazy. But that was maybe the sympathetic or weakling in her that wanted her best friend back, that wanted that friendship for what it stood for, not for what it was. A safety net. And that was just as bad as what Mallory did. Esther wouldn’t be like that.

“No, don’t apologize.” She said softly, the realization of his words sinking in. “I’m sorry Harrison, if I got too personal by asking. It wasn’t any of my business. I guess in my shock and awe, my mouth reacts faster than my brain sometimes.” Like the fact she just called him Harrison rather than by his surname.

"It's a very beautiful garden. You're a very lucky man to have built this place, to own it and have it." Not for the grandeur. Okay, maybe for the grandeur of the place but also because she could imagine it's a nice place to escape to from time to time, outside of the hustle and bustle of the congested New York city.

Harrison only smiled. It was a bt more familiar than he was used to, her using his first name. But really, he found it didn't bother him. It was fitting. After all, he was only Harrison out here. And that was the way he liked it. It was odd to be showing someone around the place when they had no real business relationship any longer. He'd used this place as shock and awe for potential clients, and to make sure that any other lawyers would know exactly the calibre of lawyer they might be facing. And the rest of the time...he used it to try and step back from the world, get a better sense of hiself. Of course, that usually didn't last long. His phone would ring, and the world would call him back to it. But he was here to stave that off for a while.

"No, it's all right Esther. I just...don't typically spend that much time on introspection. So if I do, it might take me a few moments to process it all. So don't fret." He assured her. He was about to say more when he heard light footsteps from behind a hedge. he waited, and Amy stepped into view.
"Excuse me sir. But dinner will be served shortly. I felt you should be informed." She said, bowing her head.
"Gods sakes Amy, I'm not the pope, look at me when you talk." He said with a languid sarcasm that made it clear he wasn't angry. Amy looked up quickly, and nervously smiled.
"Yes sir." She nodded, and withdrew. Harrison looked at Esther.
"Well, it seems dinner is ready. Shall we?" He asked her, gesturing to the mansion.

“Of course.” She nodded her head. “Thank you.” She said softly. He looked like he might say more but then someone walked out. She looked over to see the woman and nodded to her. She had no idea that she was the same woman probably who woke her up with those yummy buns and a slammed door. No hard feelings. None whatsoever. Not when the peace offering were buns. Stuffed buns which were so delicious. So when it was announced that dinner was ready, her stomach growled again. A lot happened today to make her starving. Not that she was particularly one to starve but it was nice to know that she didn’t have to cook for once. It was a nice break, not that she minded cooking, but Esther wasn’t used to being taken care of. She was on vacation. She’d damn well enjoy it. As her grandfather used to say, “I’m not cooking today. Today is my day off.”

Once the woman walked away and Esther was unknowingly grinning from the rapport between them both, she looked up to Harrison and smiled softly. “Yes please.” She almost jumped up and down. “I’m starving.” No, she just wanted food. What could she say? She might be slender on the outside but on the inside, she still had the appetite of the fat girl she used to be.

Harrison smiled.
"Well, you won't be for long. No one walks away from my table still hungry. Not if I have anything to say about it." he said with a mock stern tone to his voice. he led her into a set of doors, and down a hall. He pushed open a set of double doors that led to the dining room. It was a high, vaulted ceiling, making it so there was no second story over it, the ceiling just went to a full twenty feet in height. Chandaliers hung freely, glowing with enough light to make sure that there were no overly dark places in the room. Harrison looked around to see that the main table, one that ran nearly forty feet long, had not been set, but instead a smaller on, a nicely outfit walnut table that would seat maybe eight people at most. it had been set for two, a smallish, cozy affair.

The food was being brought out. They ahd done as instruscted, adn kept it simple. of course, simple was a relative term, and they were setting out a roast beef, one that veritably steamed. The scent of good seasoning trailed to Harrison even from this distance. Potatoes and carrots that had been cooked with the beef were laid out on sepeate plates, and they all looked axcellent. Harrison only smiled, adn stepped to a cahir, and drew it out, beofre waving to Esther.
"Please. Sit." He gently offered, holding the chair for her.

Esther walked herself to where he led and soon, she was staring at a beautiful set up of a dining room. A beautiful table, she had no doubt it was made of real wood. The entire splendor of the place just screamed fine and elegance but at the same time—just as she felt the entire time—also really homey. Like she was being welcomed here, not feeling like she was putting everyone out by simply being here. Still, it didn’t mean she stopped worrying her lip. No, she was worrying it absently before her eyes fell onto the food. Her lips parted and she almost drooled.

Looking to Harrison, she nodded her head and took a seat at the table, staring at the spread of food laid out. It took all she had not to just pounce at the food and load up her plate like she wouldn’t have food tomorrow. Instead, her hands were in her lap, holding onto each other for dear life, waiting until dinner was officially ‘served’ before she went at it like a mad woman. This was nothing compared to what she could cook. Not that she didn’t have the potential but she didn’t have the resources readily available to cook a meal like this. “Everything looks amazing.”

Harrison made sure her chair was tucked in properly before taking his own seat. Serving forks were laid out, and the staff withdrew. Harrison lifted a long fork, and speared a thick slice of beef. As he lifted it, it came apart on the fork, falling into three pieces. He smiled. There was n finer testament to well cooked beef than it litterally falling apart on the fork. He managed to shovel some onto his plate, abandoning any semblance of refinement, he just wanted to eat damn it! After getting all of his slice, he turned the fork, and passed it to Esther. He made the buisness of getting his potatoes and carrots easy, though theese too were soft enough to not be able to be speared easily. They tended to slide off.

His plate set up, Harrison dug in, not really standing on much in the way of ceremony, and enjoying himself more than a little. It was sublime food, seasoned well, and cooked to perfection. Amy emerged, and set out a glass of wine in front of each of them, and nodded.
"What did they decant for us today Amy?" Harrison asked. Amy smiled.
"Chateux Margaux, from the old part of the cellar." She supplied. Harrison tried a sip. It was a very fine wine indeed.
"This is out of the 1800s section, isn't it?"
"1866 sir."
"Very good choice. Thank you Amy." The woman bowed, and left. Harrison smiled at Esther. "I hope you enjoy a fine wine."

Esther watched as Harrison speared a slice of meet for himself and she watched in wonder as it fell apart and split. Wow, talk about the mark of a very finely cooked piece of meat. Even she wouldn’t deny that. Taking the fork from him, she didn’t spear the meat but let it fall on its face before scooping it up. She did the same with another piece and two pieces sat proudly on her plate. Yes, she had every intention of eating her fill and it may come to be a surprise just how much Esther could eat when she wasn’t trying to be good with herself. She’d been good with herself since she graduated high school. She was going to splurge just a little bit and then make up for it with a long day of work, rather a long month of work. That was her work out. When she was too busy with school, buried neck deep in papers to grade and assignments and constantly redoing her lesson plans? Oh yes, who needed a gym when one didn’t have much of enough time to eat as it is?

By the time she finished helping herself to food, her plate had not a single portion of the actual plate exposed except for the edges, she filled in on carrots and potatoes, already making a dent in the plates they were served on. So she began and dug in. Everything was delicious. Now, just because she had the spirit of a fat girl, didn’t mean she ate like a slob. It just meant she could put a lot away.

Looking up when Amy brought out wine, she licked her lips, her lips tasting of the seasoning from the roast beef and the vegetables. Everything was so good. Too good, she never had anything quite like this. No, no, rewind. She had decadent food like this of some proportion when she had her dinner with Caughlin. She never did take him out. She felt about that since she still wanted to. Repay him for that. Hell, even the golden ticket she had gotten from Wyn was safely tucked away, a reminder of the splendid night. But this night, this vacation in comparison to that night? Neither of them could compete for anything better simply because they were both amazing on their own merit and level. Two great times of her life she’d look back on and smile. Big. And bright.

Back to the focus, she looked at the wine, zoning in to Harrison’s voice along with Amy’s as they chatted. Once she left, she looked up to him and smiled. “I definitely enjoy a good bottle of wine, cheap or not. I’ve been known to knock back a few.” That was a lie, she could only handle two, and even then it was barely since after two full regular sized bottles of wine, she tended to black out. After one, that was her safe limit of what could be expected as drunk and still somewhat functioning. Somewhat. “But a fine wine? I don’t believe I’ve had such fine wine since a recent dinner with a friend.” She said softly, picking up her glass. She let it swirl a little bit before she smelled. She was no fine wine connoisseur but she did enjoy the scent of wine. Someone back from her college days who was a major wino and probably still is, told her that if you let wine breathe in the oxygen, even swirl it in the glass, it tastes stronger, better. She always found it tasted better that is. She sipped it and let the taste sit on her tongue before swallowing. Divine.

“Oh, that’s lovely.” And it was clear she meant it, as she set it down. A wine like that, should be cherished. Not guzzled. Like that night Harrison and Mallory were at the bar.

Harrison took another drink of the wine, and cocked his head. A wine like this with a friend? He hadn't known Esther had friends who could get their hands on wine like this. It was something he'd have to look into he could put out a few inquiries. Or you know, just ask the woman. His mental voice was not overly sympathetic to his plight. But he realized it was also right.
"A wine of this calibre you say? Who were you out with to warrent a wine like this?" He asked her, not bothering to keep the faint surprise out of his voice.

Amy slipped into the kitchen. The staff were chatting away without much notice of her. The head of Staff approached her.
"How do they fare?" He asked.
"Good I think. I think she'll ask him to stay the rest of the weekend." Amy replied.
"Very good." He began to turn.
"Sir?"
"Yes Amy?"
"I think he likes her. And...I think she likes him. Could we maybe...help them?"
"In anticipation for his staying longer, he'll want a change of clothes. Do lay them out now. Back of the closet. The red cover."
"Yes sir." Amy moved off to get it done.

She had speared a piece of meat and brought it up to her mouth to eat, but stopped at the very last minute at his question. The piece of roast beef fell off her fork—something she should have anticipated—and her eyes blinked. “Oh. Um, his name is Caughlin—“ She started but cut herself off when she realized she never did get his last name. “His name is just…Caughlin.” She nodded her head. “I don’t think I got his last name ever.” She made an oops face, now only realizing that. The entire date, she never thought to ask what his last name was. She gave him her full name, well minus her middle name. But he knew her first name and last name. “Is that so shocking?” She teased.

Harrison smiled, taking another bite or two before answering.
"Well, I can count the number of people who can get access to this kind of wine on one hand. And I know them all, so I find I'm a little curious." He took another drink, and let the name rattle around in his skull. Caughlin. It couldn't be. Not a chance. But what if it was? He set teh wine down, and leaned forward a little. "Was he an somewhat older gentleman? Probably brought a cane just for show. Odd sense of humour? Like the world was there to be amusing?"

Amy found the bag, and laid it out. She opened it up, and frowned. These belonged to Harrison Trenton? Really? She laid them out though, her instructions had been quite clear. She left the room, and little nervous. If she was the instrument of some kind of bad joke, she didn't want to catch hell.

She blinked and set her fork down. Oy, did they know each other then? That’s not...weird at all. Seemed she was making her way through the elite. First Caughlin and now Harrison? No, it couldn’t be. It was just a coincidence. They didn’t know each other.
So as he began to describe the exact qualities of Caughlin, Esther made a grab for her wine glass and sat back. She took a tentative, almost shaky sip and nodded her head slowly. “Yeah.” She said almost unsurely not because it wasn’t true but because she wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to confirm his inquiries. “Why?” She asked with a bit of narrow set of eyes, waiting for the bomb to drop. The really heavy duty nuclear bomb.

Harrison gave a short chuckle. Then another. After ammonet he leaned back, and laughed, a full throated, ammused laugh, before sitting back properly in his chair, a huge grin on his face.
"That's Caughlin Lloyd. Senior partner at Lloyd and Trenton law offices. My best friend." Harrison admitted, taking another drink. He shook his head, the grin still on his face. "And he took you out on the town. I'd guess that he showed you quite time. He's never been one to disappoint. At least the old man still has good taste." He took another drink to hide the smile aat the subtle compliment.

Dread. Absolute dread. Even if it was a joy to see him laugh so carefree and all. But still, dread. And then the nuclear explosions went off in her head and her eyes widened. Caughlin Lloyd. Senior partner at Lloyd and Trenton law offices. Harrison's best friend. Esther sunk down in her seat and then took a big gulp of her wine, clearing more than half of that wine glass. Then she nodded her head. "Oh." With a glance at her food, she took another big sip of her wine, feeling bad she was just letting such expensive wine going down her gullet but man did it take the edge off. Especially considering her appetite went away faster than a cheetah or jaguar or leopard or even a lion, a tiger or a panther, could run. Esther sunk down a little bit more in her seat. And she turned really red.

"Esther? Whatever is the matter then? You seem...embarrassed, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why." Harrison said calmly, leaning forward a little. he wasn't lying, and it showed in his tone. So she'd gone out once with Lloyd. Not really a huge problem in his mind. It wouldn't be the first time a woman had spent time with both men. Harrison lifted the bottle of wine, and topped up her glass, not wanting her to be without. He topped up his own while he was at it. Esther was clearly not reacting to the news well, and he only hoped she'd be able to piece herself back together a little. After all, she'd been good company thus far.

“I guess I just—“ She cut off and sighed, trying to figure out how to explain something that she wasn’t sure of. She had no idea why she was embarrassed. It’s not like she did anything with the guy and it’s not like she was doing anything with Harrison. But something in her made her feel embarrassed. Maybe because she had no idea that Caughlin was Caughlin Lloyd of Lloyd and Trenton. That’s just…embarrassing. Because it just meant she went out with a complete and total stranger who really gave her a night to remember. So there was really no reason to be so embarrassed. But she wouldn’t be Esther Martin if she didn’t embarrass easily. “Yeah, just a tad bit embarrassed. But I think it’s mostly because I had no idea who he was. I was just having a bad day that day, even if the case did get resolved and here comes a really nice guy with a wicked sense of humor. I had no idea who he was, decided to go to dinner with him on good faith and never once made a connection that he’s Caughlin Lloyd of Lloyd and Trenton.” She sat up and took another sip of her wine, but not as big as the last two gulps. “I think that’s the embarrassing part. Going out with a complete and total stranger. Not to mention, you laughed.” Now that last sentence was said in a way that showed she wasn’t insulted at all. Something said in innocent jest. “But…laughter looks good on you. So I suppose I can forgive you for it.” She said it like she was all put out by it too when she clearly and really wasn’t.

Wow, wine is a magical elixir that can make any person somehow explain herself out of a situation, skirting around the awkward issue. First a dinner with Caughlin Lloyd and now she was staying at his best friend’s, Harrison Trenton, estate for the weekend? Yeah…just how many delicacies was she going to accept from these two men without paying something back. Yes, her mother would be rolling over in her grave repeatedly, ashamed at her daughter.

Or…she was doing what she normally did and over thinking everything. It really sucked being good at analyzing sometimes.

Harrison put a hand over his heart.
"Oh, could you find it in yourself to forgive me? I was worried for a moment." He said in a tone that made it clear he was enjying the moment. He was far more flippant than he had been in the past. "Let me guess, Lloyd found you in front of the law office? Unless I miss my guess, you must have left just before I spoke to him myself. But don't worry too much about not knowing his last name. I've gone out with more than a few women without offering last names. It's a way of maintaining a certain...mystery to the night." He admitted. He swirled the wine around in his glass, smiling at the memories, before going back to the conversation and company before him. No time to be lost in that kind of reverie now.

Esther smiled broadly and laughed a little bit. “As you should be. I’ve been known to carry quite a grudge.” Which wasn’t true at all because she didn’t carry grudges. Okay, she only ever carried one grudge and she had every right to. Chad. But she wasn’t about to spoil her mood when the wine was working so well. Speaking of wine…she took a sip, just as he seemed to defend men and their antics and she couldn’t help but roll her eyes before snorting not so ladylike after swallowing. “Men.” But she had a hint of a smile on her face. “It seems the world is full of you. Maybe I should set my eyes on women. You know that girl who works here, the really cute one, well she seems like my type, don’t you think?” With or without the wine, she’d make conversation like this. Once she broke out of her shell a bit, she was a hoot! At least she liked to think so.

"Oh, Amy? I suppose, she's about the right age for you. We could always call her in here and ask her about it, se if she's interested. I'm sure that would be a fabulous way to relax. Here, I'll ring her in for you." Harrison pressed a button that put in a call for a serving staff. After a moment Amy appeared.
"Yes sir?" She asked. Harrison smirked at Esther for a moment, before turning back to Amy.
"Set out a box of good cigars. Your choice. I think I migth want a smoke after dinner." He said calmly. Amy nodded, adn left the room. Harrison turned back to Esther with a wicked grin on his face.

“N-No Harrison!” She stuttered sitting up immediately and setting her glass of wine down. But it was too late and soon Amy was walking right out. Esther sunk down in her chair and turned red, really red, again. She swallowed hard and her eyes nearly popped out of her head. That devious schmuck! So once the girl left, Esther glared at him and crossed her arms over her chest. “Touch Mr. Trenton but this officially means war.” She said with narrowed glaring eyes but once more, it was in good humor. Even if she still felt embarrassed about him calling her bluff like that. In what world would he possibly think she’d actually ask her that?! She got embarrassed over the admission of going out to dinner with his best friend. Duh! And for good measure, she stuck her tongue out at him before taking her glass of wine once more and sipped it for even better measure.

Not that she might actually make good word on her declaration of war. Yeah, because really, what would she do? She was passive-passive. Not passive-aggressive. She wasn’t nearly devious enough for that. No, not against the king of deviousness. Harrison Trenton.

"Well, if it's a war you want, I suppose I can suggest a few things in way of peace offerings. Ah, what the hell, name your price Esther Martin!" He grinned, leaning back. He was enjoying this, a light round of verbal sparring. Usually only he and Lloyd did this sort of thing. It was an interesting feling. If nothing else, he felt like he could have a good friend in Esther Martin. And maybe more someday. He had always been of the opinion that you should be able to be friends with anyone you planned to be involved with.

Amy set out the box, and then hesitated at the entrance to teh dining room. The head of staff stepped to her side.
"Something the matter Amy?" He asked.
"Well, I can hear what they were saying, and they had a bit of a joke involving me." She explained the rest of the statement. The old man smiled, and she saw a bit of mischief in his eyes. He leaned in and whispered a suggestion. Amy blushed brightly at the words, and the old man walked away with a faint cackle. Amy woudl never have the nerve to do something like that. Would she? Gods, she didn't know!

She was still pretty red. But then the color started to fade to normal and she sat up in her seat. Aha! She got him. Because she knew exactly what her price would be. She picked up her glass of wine and sipped it. “Well, if you really want to give a peace offering…” She mused and tilted her head. “You could…finally ask your question that you won during our game of pool. I mean, it’s kind of eating me up inside, dying to know and all. And as my peace offering to you, I promise to answer completely honestly.” She nodded her head. Yeah, that was a good plan alright. Besides, what was the worst he could ask? She was an open book.

…For the most part.

"Well played Etsher Martin." Harrison admitted, grinning. The door to the kitchen opened, and Amy came back in.
"Sir, I've laid out the cigars in the East smoking room. I've laid out enough in case your guest would like to join you." She said calmly. Harrison nodded.
"Very good Amy." She hesitated a moment, before stepping over to Esther, and leaning over, planting a kiss on the top of her head. As she stepped away from her, Amy gave a flirtatious wink in her direction before sauntering back into the kitchen. Harrison watched her go. Good...Gods. He couldn't have asked for someone to do that, but it was perfect. "I suppose she is your type after all." He mused idly.

Back
Top Bottom