Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Survivor's Last Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked back to the ground.
"Easier said than done..." I said softly. As I heard Arty return, I looked up to him, my eyes narrowing a bit from the information he gave me. I tried forcing myself to stand again, undoing the holster to the Mac-10 as I got up.
"I won't let them..." I whimpered as I tried. "I won't let them take innocent lives..."

"It's easier than you might think..." Sylvia said quietly as Artyom came back into the room. She rose to her feet with Yoru but she looked over to make sure the other party member in their group could actually walk under her own power. She seemed to be okay but she was keeping an eye on things. "I guess this means we have to go somewhere else..."

I nodded. "Yea, from what the papers said the experiments are taking place somewhere near St. Louis. And I know my way around this place for the most part, but I've never dared venture anywhere near the major cities. The virus there is so deadly. Being there for even a few moments could be fatal. So, I dont know the way there. But I'm sure we'll find a way. In the meantime we need to find the nearest neutral station so we can restock and get Yoru fixed up." I said to Sylvia.

I shook my head.
"I'm.. fine..." I choked out, managing to stand. "See..?" I let my arms dangle loosely, but kept hold of the Mac-10. "Maybe at the station, we could find a map to help us."

"Well, if we're going to the unknown, we should prepare for that. I only have a gas mask for myself, but I suggest you get one for yourselves. At least that will be a form of protection," Sylvia suggested, remembering everything Jack had taught her over the few years they had lived together.

I nodded. "Like I said. We need to get to the nearest neutral area and get some supplies to make the journey. I dont know exactly where the city is, but I know its good bit away from here. Nobody wants to build a town even remotely closet to a major city. I think if we just keep headed up north we bound to hit a civilization." I said to the two.

I nodded softly, and attempted walking, coming out with a horribly balanced kind of wobble before falling to one knee.
"I-I'm fine..." I stammered, getting back up. I had one eye closed at this point. I refused to give up now. If we're going to a city, then I could accustom to the virus, and live through it. If I do that, then I could finally do my single goal left in life...

"Get me a map and a compass and I'll get us there," Sylvia said, confident in her abilities. She didn't have a map or compass since she hadn't needed one since she'd been forced to live alone and off the land. Knowing the territory was one of her better skills, but she could navigate with the best of them. "We'll need protection against the virus regardless. There is no surviving this disease..."

"I know. The virus is extremely lethal in city areas, even for those who are resistant to it. I've got a map but no compass. The nearest town is bound to have one. I believe in you to get us there. Lets just hope we can make it out alive." I said handing Sylvia the map.

"I can definitely get us there but getting us out may be another story. We'll have to rely on each other for that one..." Sylvia said as she took the map and looked it over. If she was right, she knew exactly where they were already but she would need a compass to ensure they stayed on track. She raised an eyebrow as Yoru was talking quietly. "I guess you have to tell him something. You do that while I study this." Whatever it was, it seemed to be important to Yoru so she was giving her the time she needed.

"Well, you look at that and tell me what you get." I walked over to Yoru and put my hand on her shoulder. "What is it?" I asked her in a compassionate tone.

I twinged to Arty's hand on my shoulder, which went right over where a piece of shrapnel hit me.
"Arty... I-if I die... I want you to know.." I sighed softly. "In D6.. I left a letter.. It's just in a blank envelope, save for a single line horizontally on it..." I looked him in the eye. "I wrote my death wish to whom it may concern... and that's you..." I then put my hand on his chest lightly, both to keep stable and to indicate to keep the request in his heart. "I want you to carry out my last wish..."

Sylvia was off in her own little world as she started plotting a course towards their destination, which was St. Louis. She'd never been to that part of the country but she was aware of hot spots and neutral zones. All of which would alter the course of their journey without a vehicle of some sort. Even still, going right to the city was the worst possible idea since they would need to restock supplies and rest in safe areas so she took that into account. While Artyom and Yoru had their chat, of which she knew nothing, Sylvia was hard at work giving them the best possible route.

I simply smiled at Yoru. "Don't talk like that dear. I will guard you with my life. The only way your gonna die is if they get to you past my cold dead corpse. But, should these wished not be fulfilled I will carry them out for you. You mean the world to me Yoru, and dont you forget that." I said hugging her, hopefully at least slightly perking her up.

Sylvia caught tiny pieces of the conversation that Arytom and Yoru were having but what little she heard was not enough to glean any real information. Their conversation wasn't her focus anyhow. She wanted to plot the best route with backup routes in case things proved to be difficult or too dangerous to traverse. Her intensity would have been awe-inspiring had they not been locked in a battle for life itself because of some damn virus. However, none of that mattered if they had a plan to help everyone else. Sylvia was well aware that, if she died, it would have little consequence on the planet but she would be damned if she would let other people suffer the same soul shattering life that she had.

"Oh, ummm I'm sorry love." I said giving her a slight kiss on the cheek. "You'll be fine. I promise." I got up and went over to Sylvia. "Got anything yet?" I asked in a casual tone.

I brought my hand to my chest softly, catching my breath, as the pain of the shrapnel wounds being squeezed really pushed out my air. I looked to Arty and Sylvia as Sylvia studied the map, Arty wanting to know if she had anything yet. During such, I looked down, drifting into my thoughts, remembering my past, before the virus...

"If we wrap around to the south of St. Louis through Arkansas, we'll hit more safe zones and more places to restock. I made emergency routes so even if we find that our information is out of date, we won't be found out," Sylvia replied, not even looking away from her work. She was a determined one that was for certain. "I think we can make it there on foot in about 20 days but if we can scavenge cars, it would only take a few days."

I looked closy at the map. "We are going to need more provisions if we wanna make the trip. But the Reds and Revs often have car patrols in designated areas, so we can "commender" one of their cars and make it that way. Other then that thats a good plan. We should head out before it gets dark out. The last thing I want is to be caught open and above ground at night." I said to Sylvia.

I looked to Arty in a kind of insulted way.
"I move best in the night..." She said softly, almost under her breath. "There's definitely nothing wrong with moving at night." I looked to Sylvia. "If you had to guess a percentage, what are the chances that we'll run into usable cars on any of the paths?"

"If we have to take a car for our own purposes, we'll have to catch one of the sides offguard. If we don't, we're dead," Sylvia said, still looking at the map, but she did eventually look up from her work. However, her expression was still stern and serious, and she was determined to make this her mission. And she was not going to fuck around when the time came to it.

"Good point, they can come in big numbers, probably best to attack a small patrol. Anyway, we better head out before nightfall." I looked off into the distance. "What route do you two think we should take to get to the nearest road?" I asked the girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom