Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It's giving me a complex (Candira and Agnores)

Drew smiled as Amy leaned in to compliment Sophie. "Yeah, she was real serious about that girl group thing for awhile." When she mentioned that she didn't think that she could follow Sophie he shook his head. "It's not about following her or showing her up--it's about having fun," he said, giving her a playful little nudge. "The crowd seems pretty accepting." He smiled and then clapped as Sophie finished up the song, glad that his friend at least had a sense of humor.

Sophie returned and gave a little curtsy as the next singer took the stage. She sat next to Amy and smiled. "Aww, thanks roomie. I'm glad you liked it. And you don't have to follow me up--that guy is doing it for you," she said with a wink. "But you don't have to sing if you don't want. Drew, on the other hand, has no excuse."

Drew smiled at Amy's question. "I'm decent. They won't put me on star search any time soon, but my voice is alright."

Amy laughed, looking over to Drew. "I think I will just sit back and listen, then." She leaned back into her chair, just as the next guy began to sing. He had an all right voice, at the very least it wasn't annoying to listen to. She glanced briefly between Sophie and Drew, thinking to herself. "So, you two have known each other for a long time, right? How did you two meet?" She asked, curiously. It would be nice to hear how these two met, maybe telling a happy story would help Sophie out a lot, and she was sure Drew wouldn't mind sharing. He was usually pretty open, or at least Amy thought so. Besides that, Amy was genuinely curious. She hadn't been friends with Sophie for long, and she wanted the chance to get to know her new-found friend as well as possible.

The two were very close, that was true, and it seemed very odd to Amy that they had never once tried to date. Or maybe they had, and that failed. Amy really didn't know. The thought of Drew and Sophie being those childhood friends who become lovers was rather endearing, but the thought of it caused Amy to feel another pang of jealousy that she couldn't quite explain. She decided to keep that to herself, instead of potentially starting something here when they were supposed to be having fun.

Sophie smiled and ordered some water when a waiter went by and then thought over Amy's question. "Hm? Well, let's see. That would have been kindergarten, right? Yeah, we were doing the incubation thing with the little chicks and Drew and I always liked to watch the eggs and see when those little yellow birds would be there." She smiled and leaned back, trying to remember. She didn't have much of a recollection in terms of kindergarten, but she remembered meeting Drew for the first time and deciding that they should be friends.

"Yeah, that was kindergarten. Sophie and I started coloring together once we found out that we both liked the chicks." He smiled and shrugged a little. "Nothing terribly special about how we met. We did stay friends all through school, though."

Sophie tilted her head and smiled. "Never did date. I think we knew too much about each other." If that was what Amy was getting at, boy did she knew how to the knife in. Instinctively, she'd hit upon the one sore point between the three of them.

"It'd be kinda like dating a sister. It just wouldn't be right," he said, wrinkling his nose.

It took herculean effort to not let the hurt register on her face. "You can say that again," she said with a chuckle. She had about two more singers before she was back up on stage. Tonight, she was going to get wasted.

Amy remained innocently unaware of how she accidentally caused some pain in Sophie, smiling slightly. "Well, I guess that makes sense," she said, tilting her head to the side. "But you two would make a great couple, I mean...you have all the makings of one of those hallmark cards." She laughed at that, leaning back. She wasn't sure, really, why she was saying that considering her sudden-onset jealousy, but she wanted to keep the conversation light, and she knew at some level it was true. Drew and Sophie didn't have quite the same feel as Sophie and Evan, but Drew hadn't ruined any chance of a relationship happening, at least not yet. Sophie had been friends with Drew first, and considering Amy's recent actions, Amy was quite sure Sophie actually deserved Drew more.

When a waiter came by, Amy ordered a small mixed drink, a fruit punch tasting drink with little alcohol. Amy wasn't much of a drinker, but having dated Ryan for so long, she had learned well how to drink but not really drink. She wasn't sure if she would do the same tonight, wondering if she should let herself go and actually drink, but she couldn't quite make a decision. She would just follow Sophie's lead, she guessed. It would be simpler that way. When her drink arrived, she took a sip, happy there was little to no taste of alcohol. That would make this easier.

Sophie's expression darkened just a bit. "Well, too bad, I guess. I'd really rather not talk about relationships right now, if you don't mind." With that, she chugged some water. Drew lifted an eyebrow but figured that his friend was still touchy about the subject because it reminded her of her relationship with Evan.

"Tell you what," he said with a grin. "I'll go sign up to sing." With that, he got up and found a slot or two for himself, picking some songs that would suit his smooth tenor.

Sophie perked up at the fact that he would be singing. His voice always did a good job of smoothing her over. Hopefully, it would help her out tonight. Apparently one of two things was happening with Amy--she'd figured out that Sophie had had feelings for Drew at some point and was needling her, or the girl was jealous and couldn't let the idea go. If she were a betting woman, she'd go with the second choice there, but she had no real way of knowing.

Drew was back soon after, and by that time a new singer was on stage. Sophie would be up again after the next person.

It was then that Amy realized she hit on something bad, and she nodded meekly at Sophie's comment. She was being kind of mean, even if it was unintentional, she realized. Talking about relationships after an apparently bad break-up with someone. She sighed to herself, leaning back in her seat, and smiled at Drew when he mentioned going to find himself a couple of slots to sing in. When he was gone, Amy looked intently at Sophie. "Sorry," she said. "Wasn't thinking about what I was talking about." The girl smiled, tilting her head to the side. "No more about that, though. What do you think Drew will sing? Does he have any favorites?"

The last question was both a conversation mover and a subject changer, because Amy didn't want to stay on something that soured Sophie's mood for too long. When Drew showed back up at the table, Amy turned her questions to him. "So, what did you pick?" She asked.

"It's okay. I just really don't wanna do that now." She smiled and then happily accepted the new topic without a hitch. "Oh, I dunno. It's always a surprise with him. He's got the smooth kind of voice for big band and R&B music, but sometimes he likes to get a little raspy and go with rock. I think he'll have a hard time coming across as bad ass dressed like that, but who knows?" She just took another sip of her water and smiled as the man in question returned to his seat, content with his choices.

"Well, I think you'll appreciate the irony of my choices. Also, it's just fun to sing some of these. I signed up for three slots, and I hope you'll cheer for me even if I make an ass of myself."

Sophie chuckled. "Like that's ever stopped either one of us," she teased, nudging him a little. "Tell us what you picked. Blondie?"

"Ha. You're so clever. Did you stay up all night working on that one?"

"No, I got to bed at ten thirty, thank you."

Amy laughed at Sophie's comment, and plenty more as the night wore on. She thoroughly enjoyed herself, laughing and smiling more than she had since Ryan left her. She found that Drew was indeed a fairly decent singer, and Sophie continued to amaze her. Amy herself still battled over whether or not she wanted to go up and sing. It wasn't that she thought she had a bad voice, quite contrary, but she was uncomfortable getting up in front of a lot of people. Still, Amy quite readily filled the role of number one fan for both Drew and Sophie when they sang, laughing and cheering louder than most others.

Eventually she decided she would go and sing, and went and took the last slot for the night. It was only a few slots away by this point, and at the very least if Amy embarrassed herself she could leave soon after. She made her song choice and returned to her table with a huge smile. "Don't judge me for the song," she mentioned to the others when they were both at the table, smiling. "It was the first one I saw that I really knew when I looked." She laughed, nervous.

Sooner than she really wanted it was her turn, so Amy nervously made her way to the stage. She took the mic, taking her place meekly in the center of the stage. Her nervousness was obvious, and some people in the crowd she didn't know gave some shouts of encouragement. The music came on, starting the song "Come and Get It", and Amy couldn't help but smile. When she started singing, her voice was low and timid, a testament to her nervousness. As the song went on, her voice became stronger, and she began to move with the song. As the song went on, Amy became more and more sure of herself, and by the end she was energetic and moving all over the stage to the song. The song itself was fitting for Amy's voice, and Amy proved to be a decent enough singer. She certainly wasn't the worse singer to grace the stage.

Sophie went through a playlist of breakup songs as the night went along. She started with "Jof Hearts," transitioned into "If you Wanna Stay," shrugged off the sadness with "Out of My Head," and went back into fun with "Faster Ride." At the end of the night, her final song was "I will Survive." Because why not? The crowd seemed pretty happy with her overall performance. If not for Drew's presence, she was certain that she would have had several young men sending her drinks.

Drew got up to sing a few songs of his own. "Sharp Dressed Man," was his opening number and he ended with "Just the Way You Are." It was probably a cop out, but he had just the perfect voice for it. Several ladies were openly interested. He ignored them for the two at his table. When Amy sang her song in the last slot he smiled. Oddly, this whole night, it seemed like Amy had been into him. She'd wanted to know more about him, she complimented his looks, and now she was singing this song.

What the fuck was she saying? It was so incredibly frustrating to be in her presence and not know where he stood. She was sending mixed signals, and he wasn't particularly happy about it. Still, she had sung the song well, and she'd been good company for the rest of the night. Now that it was time to go home, he was really hoping to just put it all behind him and write it off as thinking much too hard.

Amy came off the stage and approached Drew and Sophie, smiling widely. "Well, that could have gone worse," she said with a laugh, which turned into a big yawn. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired now. Think it might be time to head home, anyway." She nodded as she looked around, the other patrons of the karaoke bar beginning to file out as well. "Tonight was lots of fun though, we should definitely do it again sometime. Maybe make this a sort of monthly or annual trip or something. The one day we all dress nicely and go out and just have fun." She was partly talking from the high she was still experiencing from her performance on stage, but she had truly enjoyed this night out. Especially given the circumstances, Drew and Sophie had been a whole lot of fun, and Amy had even broken out of her shell a little. All in all, a very good night.

As they started to leave, Amy couldn't seem to stop smiling. As they left, she took one of Drew's arms in her's, a move she hadn't actually consciously thought about. She wasn't sure what it meant, if anything, but she couldn't help the fact that she had already done it; so she went with it, a stupid grin plastered on her face and her high slowly wearing off. She would sleep good, tonight. She knew that for a fact.

When Amy came off stage, Drew and Sophie greeted her with smiles and applause, though Drew was a little more confused than usual. The girl looked flush with victory, and she'd done a good job of singing. Sophie was glad that Amy had had fun. It was really nice to see her roommate happy again. Even if it meant having her a little too close to Drew after some bad behavior. Drew blinked when he felt her wrap her arm around his and smiled a little, walking both girls back to his car. "Yeah, time to call it a night."

The trip back to the dorm was a fairly short one and full of chatter about the success of the night. Sophie felt better, even though she knew that would fade in time. For now, she knew that she would sleep well. She got out of the car and gave Drew a hug before heading toward their dorm. She figured she would give Amy a little extra time with him. "I'll head up in a bit. I need some more air." She smiled and then wandered off.

Amy blinked when Sophie wandered off, leaving just her and Drew standing there. She wasn't sure if she was going to thank Sophie and berate her later for it. Giving a sigh, however, Amy turned back to Drew, smiling up at him. "Hey," she said after a moment's silence. "About earlier. I hope you know I'm in a weird place. But tonight...it was good. Helped me figure some things out. But...don't take that to heart. If the past few days are any indication, whatever I decide tonight I'll completely change my mind by tomorrow night." She paused, laughing nervously. "However, I guess I happened to sing an appropriate song tonight. If you are ready, come and get it. But if not...I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." She smiled at Drew, then gave him a hug.

Evan was laying on the floor, feeling it was the safest place for him to be at the moment. The girl he had intended to sleep with tonight was passed out on the bed nearby, her clothes half off. Evan had barely even seen a nipple before she passed out. It had frustrated Evan to no end, but Evan had immediately switched tracks. Her purse was on the floor by the bed, and Evan could only hope that her phone was still in her purse. He reached out, thrust his hand in, and rooted around for a little bit. He was in luck; a few seconds later he pulled his hand back to reveal the girl's phone. A lopsided drunken grin spread over Evan's face, and he rolled over onto his back, holding the phone victoriously into the air. But wait...what if she password protected her phone? A click slide of the bar proved she didn't, and Evan kissed the phone in glee. He was just swimming in luck tonight, wasn't he?

He opened up the girl's Facebook app, logging her out without doing anything. He immediately signed himself in (it took several tries because Evan had a heard time typing his password correctly), and when he was finally on, he searched out his prize on his friends list and opened a message to her. He held the phone up in front of him, staring at it, the little cursor blinking where he was to input text. Part of him knew he shouldn't do this. The dream meant things between him and her were done....however, when the girl on the bed had passed out, Evan's thoughts had immediately travelled to Sophie, and he had formulated a plan to try and get in contact with her. After all, drunk Evan was suave with the ladies. Maybe drunk Evan could fix what sober Evan had fucked up.

sohie? he sent, not even noticing his typo. He hoped and prayed that she would answer.

Drew wasn't really sure what to think about all of this. Confused, he hugged her back and let himself linger there. When he let her go he rubbed her shoulder and then stuffed his hands in his pockets as he tried to figure out what he wanted to do. She was basically inviting him to make his move, but she was also telling him it was okay if he didn't act. She was letting him choose now, and it was a lot of pressure because he had so many conflicting emotions. He needed to talk to his best friend, but Sophie had enough of her own problems to worry about right now. Besides, he got the feeling that maybe he'd come to her too many times in the past.

Sophie was walking down the sidewalk along the different dorms, and she was glad that tomorrow was Sunday. It meant she would be able to sleep in--maybe even stay in bed longer than usual if she was feeling bad. She was expecting Amy to come along, or Drew. Anybody, really, but it was mostly because she didn't really want to think about the two of them together. It was still a little painful to think about now that Evan wasn't around. The lights really did seem dimmer now.

Just then, her phone buzzed. Puzzled, she took it out to see her facebook app had a notification. She opened it to see "Sohie?" written there. From the last person she'd expected. Evan? Why would he be talking to her? And what was up with the typo? Maybe he was trying to tell her he was sorry. Or maybe he was drunk off his ass. Either way, this would be good.

"What is it?"

Amy could cut the awkwardness now with a knife, and decided it would be best if she didn't make Drew suffer through it. Smiling, she took a few steps back. "I'm gonna go find Sophie. Have a good night, Drew!" With a wave, Amy practically skipped away.

When the girl's phone went off, it made a very loud sound and Evan dropped the phone, freezing in place and listening for signs of movement from the girl on the bed. When there were none, he clumsily took the phone back up, fighting with it to lower the volume. That done, he finally got to reading the message...it was from Sophie. It was curt, as was to be expected, he guessed. Still, he couldn't help the smile that literally spread across his face, and he kissed the phone once again. Okay, Evan, he thought. Be careful, type this out slow. If she realizes you are drunk none of this will work like you want it to.

just waned 2 say i am sory. i wasa jerk earlier. i know it a lot 2 ask bt cuold i get a 2nd chance?p

Typoes everywhere, and Evan could barely feel bothered to correct them. He hit send and let the phone fall onto his chest, and he closed his eyes for a second. He wondered what Sophie would say, and he really hoped it was along the lines of "oh evan i love you come back to me" though he was also fairly certain that was the booze talking more than anything else.

Drew shook his head and waved back as Amy dashed off to find her roommate. He felt a little stupid now, but that was to be expected for just standing there like an idiot. He walked away, only a little mortified, and decided now was the time to just go to bed.

Sophie closed her eyes and wished with all her might that this wouldn't end in heartache. When she opened her eyes her phone was buzzing again, and she had a new message from Evan. She frowned, knowing that this wasn't like him. It was sloppy and the style was off. The message, however, was painfully coherent. He seemed to want a second chance and she was having a hard time with that. She closed her eyes and sighed. "I wish you meant it, Evan...but I really don't think you do."

I'm not sure. Try asking tomorrow when we've both had sleep.

And time to get rid of a drunken stupor.

Evan frowned at her reply. It really wasn't what he wanted to see. Tomorrow, after he had slept, wouldn't be good. He would be sober, inhibited to the point he would be content to let Sophie get away and convince Ryan he had actually slept with the girl passed out on his bed. He sighed, lifted up the phone, and clumsily typed out another message to Sophie, this one hopefully getting the point across. He didn't say anything he wouldn't regret in the morning, and after the message was sent, he stretched, dropping the phone near the girl's purse. As he waited for the sound of her reply (that wouldn't come because the phone was silent), Evan fell asleep.

2morrow me will think abou tthe dream and not wnt to talk 2 you. now me nos what 2morrow me really wants, just wont' admit it the message he sent, said.

Amy spotted Sophie, dashing forward and calling out her name. When she caught up to her, Amy bent over, trying to catch her breathe from her short sprint. She was either out of shape or ran harder than she thought. "Hey, there." Her breathe finally caught up, and she stood up and smiled at Sophie, and then noticed her frown. "Uh oh," Amy said, suddenly frowning as well. "What's got you frowning?" She asked.

Sophie watched her phone and sighed as she saw a new message from Evan. She stared at it for a moment, now almost completely sure that he was drunk and shook her head. Did she really want to talk to him right now when he was so confused? Should she trust someone who was drunk? Sighing, she knew the answer to that and was about to answer when Amy jogged up, out of breath. At least the girl was aware of Sophie's unhappiness.

"Well, my night is pretty much ruined." She shook her head and showed Amy the notifications and then responded with the following.

"I don't want you to wake up with another regret. Talk to me tomorrow, if you still want more."

"Uh oh," Amy said, casting a worried look around. "What is he saying? Is he being a jerk?" Amy stepped forward and gave Sophie a light hug, looking at her worriedly. She really wasn't sure what to say or do here, or how to make Sophie feel better. It really was a terrible end for Sophie's night to have Evan message her like that, and Amy genuinely wished he had waited until tomorrow. Tonight had been too perfect, she thought, and this was just the equalizing measure to make sure their night was neither great nor terrible. She sighed, wondering how she was going to cheer Sophie up this time, or if she even good.

It was nearly noon the next day before Evan sat down in front of his computer, sporting a giant headache. It had been much worse by the girl on the bed, who had yelled at Evan for what seemed like hours about apparently going through her phone. While Evan couldn't remember that in the slightest, the evidence had been there. Ryan had quizzed him soon after about what he had found on her phone, but Evan simply could not remember. It wasn't like him to go through someone's phone, that was sure. Still, last night had been a lot of fun, even if he couldn't remember most of it; it seemed like Ryan had intended for Evan to feel like death the next day, and succeeded. When his computer was booted up, he opened up his Internet browser and went straight to Facebook.

He had an unread message, and when Evan clicked on it, his jaw nearly dropped. It was from Sophie. From last night. Reading over his typo fillied messages to her, and her responses, Evan began to freak out. This was obviously what he had stolen that girls phone for, as he didn't have a phone anymore or had any access to a computer while at the party. He had also mentioned the dream to Sophie, which meant if he continued a sober conversation with her (which he had to admit he did want to) he knew she would ask about it, and he didn't think he could explain it. Not right now. Probably not ever. He sighed as he re-read his messages, getting the feel for what he was feeling at the time, despite not remembering. He had always been told that alcohol had a way of stripping away the bullshit and revealing your obsessive thoughts. Maybe this was the case here.

Finally, he set up to type a message. "Sorry about last night. Will not happen again." He hit enter and sat back in his chair, suddenly regretting his message. Sophie would take that and not try to follow up, he was sure. He was sure that he had ruined whatever drunk Evan had started, and now Evan had to admit that drunk Evan had it right.

Sophie sighed and let Amy hug her before she shook her head and closed her phone. "He's being stupid. And I'm pretty positive he's drunk." With that, she tucked the phone back into her purse and got out her keys. "Let's forget about that for now, kay? We just had fun, so I don't want to think about him right now." She smiled and then walked with her roommate back to her dorm. "We need to watch Columbiana," she said. The romance in that movie was flimsy at best, but the plot was solid for an action film. Plus, the heroine was a strong woman whose personality made sense given her upbringing. Yes. The perfect choice to remind her to be strong and detached for tonight. And they could rehash karaoke after that. Easy peasy, if her roommate could be counted on for anything.

After they'd watched the movie and gone over the night again--grooming rituals upheld--they went to bed and the night passed without a horrible aching sadness. So far, so good. And when she got up to check her mail and social media the next day, her heart sank a bit. He wasn't interested in telling her anything more or getting back together. Something about the way the message was worded made it all the more difficult to stomach so early in the morning. She reread it at least ten times before she closed it out and then hurried off to work out and try to forget about this.

Drew had a lot of trouble getting to sleep that night. His common sense was warring with his impulsive heart, and they were currently at a stalemate. Logically, he knew that he could only be the rebound guy for Amy. There was no way around her need to keep things simple, safe, and neat. And, most of all, short. He had deeper feelings for her--feelings that would only be hurt if he started seeing her and she decided to end things because she thought she would be happier with someone else.

On the other hand, his heart said, how much longer would he be able to wait for a chance with her? He could do a lot worse for a short-term thing than Amy. There was a chance that he would convince her to give him a real chance. And besides, if he missed out now, someone else would take his place, and he was getting tired of refusing her advances. And she had been painfully clear about what she'd wanted from him. Damn it.

The morning wasn't much better, either.

Amy agreed whole-heartedly with Sophie's decision to not worry about Evan's stupid move, smiling at her suggestion of what to do. She hadn't actually seen the movie, but it didn't strike her interest from the title. As she actually sat down and watched the movie with Sophie, it caught her interest even less, something that Amy worked hard to not let show. She didn't like the movie, but it was more important to keep Sophie's spirits up. She avoiding asking what Evan had said, because she could probably guess. She also avoided telling Drew, for now, wanting to let him sleep on a good note. Still, Amy laughed and joked and had a good time with Sophie as appropriate, making sure that Sophie could at the very least convincingly feign happiness.

When she herself was in bed, Amy couldn't help but slide back into her own thoughts about Ryan. Ryan had never contacted her after their split, like Evan had with Sophie. Were Sophie and Evan THAT different her and Ryan? She knew Ryan had drank since their split, since he partied nearly every night, so it wasn't that he hadn't been drunk since then. Maybe that was just what Evan did. Drunk dial his exes, if you can even call Sophie and him 'exes'. Maybe Ryan just isn't that way. Or then again...maybe Evan legitimately cared for Sophie, and Ryan did not care for her. It brought fresh tears to her eyes to think that, but she quickly realized she couldn't avoid it. There was still baggage there and she would need to sort through it.

She didn't get restful sleep, waking up incredibly tired. She laid in bed for a while longer, letting Sophie mill about and do her thing, and after she left, Amy finally rolled out of bed. She dragged herself to her phone, picked it up, and messaged Drew. "Evan drunk messaged Sophie on Facebook. She didn't seem happy about it." She looked at her message for a second, then sighed, hitting send before a more awake Amy thought better of it. Sophie might have all ready told him, but whatever. With that done, she shambled back to her bed and fell face forward with a plop.

Evan slipped quietly in the gym, his face sullen. He was still warring with his drunk self about the messages he sent to Sophie. He knew he really did want to get back with her, she was amazing. But he couldn't explain that morning to her, not on his life. She wouldn't understand, and it would likely make things worse. "Hey, I'm still in love with another woman, but I wanna be with you, k?" Evan seriously thought it would be easier just to keep her in the dark. Still...he couldn't. Not really. He would have to talk to her. He would have to try to explain. He wanted to go out with her again. Hear her laugh. See her smile. Feel her kisses...

Evan shook the thoughts from his head and began his pre-work out stretches. He intended on going all out today, even trying some new things. He had to get her out of his mind. He would not talk about Sophie. Could not think about her. She would be okay, and she'd find someone more suited to her tastes. After all, he had made it pretty clear earlier that he didn't want to talk to her for real.

Sophie was busy running her second mile, earphones securely stuck in her ears, her iPod turned toward the top tier of volume. She had on a mix of hard rock, j-pop, and dance music, and she was hauling ass. If there was one positive thing about running away from your problems, you got a little faster every time you tried. At least she was making pretty excellent time. Since she was in the zone, she wasn't really paying attention to her surroundings, which was good because she was using the runner's track in the gym, right on the second floor. It was pretty lucky on her part that she couldn't see the person who'd just come in.

After his restless night, Drew had gotten an early start. A protein shake in the morning followed by some early-morning jogging, and he was in the gym by the time it opened. He was working with free weights when he heard his phone chirp. Taking a water break, the blonde checked his message and his mood immediately darkened. Sophie didn't often cry, but Evan had been responsible for breaking that streak yesterday. She was a strong girl, and Drew was well aware that she could take care of herself and fight her own battles. It didn't stop him, however, from wanting to have a few choice words with the guy who thought it was okay to just toss someone like Sophie away. She was special! Girls like her just didn't turn up every day.

Who the hell did he think he was!? If he got his hands on that creep, they would definitely have it out.

Evan placed his ear-buds into his ear, turning up his iPod and setting it to his work-out play-list, a mix of rock and dub-step that featured energetic beats music that made Evan want to move. As the music came on, he bee-lined for the free weights, thinking he would start with his arms today. He found his spot, gathered his weights, and was getting ready to start when he noticed Drew. He froze for a moment, Drew at this point still unaware of his presence. Drew and Sophie were close (which used to be much to Evan's dismay) and he knew for a fact Drew would not see Evan's side of things when it came to this situation with Sophie. He wasn't sure if Drew would cause a scene here in the gym, though, but he knew given half a chance outside Drew wouldn't waste the opportunity to get a few words in.

Immediately Evan knew that fighting with Drew would further ruin any chances with Sophie, but he didn't know where that thought came from. He didn't care about that, all he cared about was getting out of this situation as painless as possible. Maybe it was just his bravado, but Evan couldn't help but feel sorry for Drew if he tried to pick a fight. The kid wouldn't know what hit him. Evan began some simple exercizes with the weights, glancing over in Drew's direction every once in a while. Part of him hoped Drew noticed him, but there was still part of him that thought that would be a very bad idea.

For Drew, Evan thought. It would be a bad idea for Drew.

Drew stopped after a moment with the odd feeling that someone was watching him. The instant he looked up, his eyes met with Evan, and he just fucking knew that he couldn't leave without exchanging words. His expression darkened, but he did nothing for the time being. He just finished his set and put his weights away. The gym was not the place, but damned if he was just going to let Evan walk away after making his best girl cry. He wasn't really sure what she saw in Evan, but that didn't really matter at the moment. What mattered was that this jerk was turning out to be just like his friend, and he was still bothering Sophie. The thought made his blood boil, but he just went to the punching bag to take it out there.

Sophie, for her part, was blissfully unaware of the confrontation that was about to take place in the weights area. She was still working on that second mile. She was about half way done at fourteen minutes. If she could finish up in three, she'd beat her new record, but she was starting to get tired, and she could only run away for so long.

Drew eventually walked off to the punching bag, anger sprawled across his face. Evan couldn't help but laugh to himself, and felt some sort of pride that he was bothering Drew so much. He stayed right where he was, working through his sets, switching around the activity he was doing to work different muscles. Evan went through the motions, but by the time he was finished working his arms as thoroughly as possible, he decided there was nothing else he really wanted to do. It left a job unfinished, he knew, but bothering Drew had lost its fun and he more just wanted to get out of here and back to his room, maybe take a nap.

Evan eventually decided he would head upstairs, to the track, and jog for a little bit. It would wear him out, and would get him out of Drew's hair, as much as he was loathe to be nice to the guy. Being away from Drew would help him gather his thoughts, since up to this point he had only thought of various things to do to needle at Drew, possibly draw out a confrontation. He put up his weights, and climbed up to the second floor. He was just about to jump onto the track when he noticed probably the worse person that he could ever run into was all ready up here. That would explain why Drew was here. Just for this exact situation.

So Evan stood there awkwardly for a moment, before deciding that he would jog anyway. He positioned himself in such a ways that he was jogging behind her a ways, so that if she hadn't noticed him all ready, he could probably go with out her noticing him at all. Of course, if she all ready saw him, he was fixing to be in trouble. Out of the two, Sophie scared him far more than Drew ever would.

Sophie was focused on finishing her last few laps. She was currently in the zone, drowning out everything but her music and her breathing. People actually moved into the slow lane, watching as Sophie booked it, her speed increasing every few feet as she pushed harder and dug deeper. She managed to finish her second mile in record time. Well, it was a personal best, at least. Panting heavily, she slowed to a walk and moved to the walking lane. She grabbed her water and started sipping, moving pretty slowly. "Mmm, finally," she muttered. It was hard to tell that she was sad on the surface--she was more tired than anything. And a little red in the face. A light sheen of sweat covered her and she tightened her ponytail a bit to keep it off of her neck.

Hopefully the endorphins would be enough to keep her mood elevated today, but she got the feeling that something wasn't quite right. Something wasn't right.

Back
Top Bottom