Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It's giving me a complex (Candira and Agnores)

Evan calmly followed suit after Sophie. He took his tray to the deposit spot, exited from the building, and made his way to his room. Once inside, he sat at his computer, sent Ryan a message ("There better be a lot of fuckn' booze at this party") via Skype, and then shut his computer off. Then, he stood up, turned to his door, and decided to go the gym. Maybe he would go running. Do something. It was that or beat the shit out of some random person for no apparent reason.

Amy was getting ready to head to the park when she heard the door jiggle, and she turned when the door finally opened. When she saw Sophie, she gasped, dashing to her roommate. "Oh, my God." she cried, hugging Sophie. "It'll be okay, it'll be all right."

Sophie was breaking down by the time she reached the door. She was sniffling, breathing unevenly, tears gathering and blurring her vision as she came into the room. She'd been hoping to make it back into the room and through the greetings, but there was no way. The lump in her throat was painful and she just couldn't hold back. Trembling she closed the door and leaned back against it as Amy rushed over to her. The sobbing began as soon as the reassurances came out of the other girl. She put her arms around the girl and accepted the hug as the sign of solidarity and friendship that it was supposed to be.

"No it won't," she half whispered, half sobbed. "It never works. Why can't it work?" This was so unlike her. Sophie rarely broke down, always presenting a strong front for the world around her. She trembled a little and felt a little less than strong, her knees sinking a little. Though she didn't want to carry on like this, she couldn't stop herself. She couldn't stop the self pity and horrific insecurity that came with her past and her current situation.

All Amy could do was give Sophie a hug, follow her as she sank down, and whisper soft reassurances that were truly empty. She felt terrible about that, but she was in the dark about had happened. Had Evan proven to be a big jerk, just like his friend Ryan? Or had his reason for treating Sophie so bad been so horrific that Sophie just couldn't handle it? More importantly, did Drew know? God help Evan's soul if he did. That would be terrible; Evan would probably meet a worse fate than Ryan did. Even with this sobbing girl in her arms, though, Amy found it a little hard to believe Evan would have done anything to hurt Sophie...she found herself wanting to try to talk to Evan, try to figure out his side of things. Maybe figure out what happened.

She could try to contact him through Facebook. She was sure she still had Ryan added on her account. Maybe a secret message back and forth, figure out what was happening...try to fix it if possible. Would Sophie even want it to be fixed, with the way she was now? Did he hurt her that bad? He could have. It was possible...but she doubted it. After what she had seen between those two...she just couldn't believe it.

"Sophie, dear, it'll be okay. C'mon. Let's get you in bed, I'll put on a movie, get you some ice cream. May have to run to the store, though."

Sophie was kind of grateful that someone was there to help her pull herself together. She was still pretty damn fragile, but she might have shattered if it weren't for Amy's help. The hug was appreciated, even if it didn't really help. She took some deep breaths, sobbing and trying her best to get it together. What was worse than the fact that he was treating her so poorly was that she had no idea why he was. Naturally, she was reliving every major break up over the years that had come about. They had all given her different reasons, but it always came down to one thing: it was her fault. Why? Because she wasn't enough. Ever.

She was angry at herself for thinking this way, but it would pass. It always did. She just needed a little time to really sulk and then get over it. It wasn't true. She was amazing and special and worthy of the kind of happiness she'd thought she'd had with Evan. It was merely a question of finding the right person. Right now, though, she had a hard time believing all of that.

Finally, Sophie managed to calm down and she followed Amy's suggestion to go to bed. She nodded and took a deep breath. She sighed and then looked up. "Sorry. Let me change and wash my face." With that, she disappeared into their bathroom. She came out in her pajamas--a big comfy t-shirt and a pair of short shorts--her dress in hand. Her face was better now and she was only sniffling a little. "Thanks, Amy. Ice cream would be good," she smiled and walked to her collection of DVD's, looking for what she wanted. When she found "The First Wives' Club" she put it in the player and crawled into her bed, holding a stuffed dog and petting it.

When Sophie disappeared into the bathroom, Amy dashed for her phone, grabbing it and shooting a text to Drew. "Wake up, wake up! Now!" She wasn't sure when he'd wake up, but she hoped it was soon. She really needed to talk with him. When Sophie reappeared, she smiled at Sophie, reassuringly. "Ice cream it is! I'll have to run to the store...mint chocolate chip sound good? That's my favorite!" Amy forced a sort of chipperness into her voice, hoping Sophie would catch onto it and feel better. The tables had really turned from a few days ago, Amy realized. Problem was...Amy wasn't sure she was really over what happened to her. Hopefully tonight didn't turn into one big cry fest.

She grabbed her keys, deciding she would just go ahead and leave for the store. "Just call me if you need anything, I'll be back with the ice cream." With that, she slipped out of the room, locking the door behind her. She quickly shot another text to Drew. "Call me, now!!" Then rushed out and towards her car. She didn't want to leave Sophie alone for too long.

Sophie smiled and nodded. "Sure, that sounds good. I'll be fine," she said, hitting play. She hugged her little dog and watched the opening sequence to one of her favorite movies. Now that she was alone, she was a little bit better. She was aware that this wasn't a great time to have a melt down, but she couldn't really do much about it. Sighing, she leaned back into her pillows, wishing she had the ice cream to soothe her throat.

Drew's phone was exploding. He woke up to the insistent buzzing and ringtones that signified texts. Sighing, he dragged himself out of a deep sleep and reached for his phone. He rubbed his eyes and flipped onto his back, feeling a lot better than before, despite his earlier sleepiness. He sighed and flipped through his messages, surprised first that Amy'd sent them, and then at their urgency. Worried, he sat up and called her. As it rang, he wondered what was going on. What was wrong? He got up and tugged his blankets into place before reaching into his bag for a pair of pants while he waited for her to answer.

Amy was in her car, just flipping the ignition, when her phone rang. She fumbled with her phone for a few moments before she answered, breatheless. "Drew!" She put her seatbelt on one-handed, then began to back out of her parking spot. "Sophie is...She's in a bad place. I'm guessing something went sour between her and Evan in a major way." She just got straight to the point, even though she knew she likely woke him from his sleep. "I'm going to get her some ice cream right now, I think we may have a girl's day or something. We both have a break-up on our minds, so I think it may help...I just thought you should know. She's hurt."

Amy paused before continuing. "I don't know why though. I didn't ask. And from what I saw of Evan, he didn't seem to the type to do something horrible. He...you can't fake that kind of chemistry. What was between them was real, Drew. Something really bad must have happened."

Drew was having a hard time wrapping his head around everything. One thing clearly stuck out in his mind, however. Sophie was hurt. She was in pain because of something Evan had done. He saw red for a moment and every muscle in his body tensed. He remained silent, however, taking deep breaths and trying to listen to the entire message that was being relayed to him. It didn't much matter if Evan was in love with Sophie or not. The son of a bitch had hurt his best friend. Next time he saw that fucker, Evan was getting his ass kicked. Still, it wouldn't help anyone to do it now.

After a short pause he sighed. "You said she's in a bad way, but is she physically hurt? Is it just emotional? I need more than just 'a bad way' to go off of," he said, running his hand through his hair. He managed to hold back a growl as he put the phone on speaker and changed into his jeans and a slightly less wrinkled shirt. He'd put on shoes and grab his wallet and phone and head over. If there was anything he could do, he'd be doing it, and fuck anybody who got in his way.

"Oh, Lord in heaven, no. Just emotionally hurt. I would be more distraught if she had been physically hurt. I didn't really ask many questions, didn't think it was right to. Just said I would go get her ice cream." She was still on the road, the drive was taking longer than she wanted. "She's in bed, watching a movie. At least she was when I left her." Amy sighed. "Don't do anything rash, okay? Not until we know what happened. I mean, what if it was a mutual thing? Maybe she hurt him just as bad. We can't rule out the possibilities here." You did a pretty good job of ruling them all out when Ryan left you, she thought.

"I'll be back in a few, though. I'll talk you later." With that, she hung up and continued on to the ice cream store.

"So, how was she?"

"Shut it, Ryan."

"Aw, come on! Not a single detail?"

"Not one."

"You're no fun, even when they're total bitches to you."

Evan let his head fall into his hands. Why had he turned his computer on for this? He wanted to talk to Ryan less than he wanted to talk to Sophie. But something told him, no, stop laying in bed. Call Ryan. He'll help you out! What a dumb idea that had been.

"C'mon, man. At least tell me if she swallowed."

"Shut the fuck up, Ryan. I don't want to talk about this. Literally, anything else."

"Heh, all right. You know that Drew kid will be after your ass now too."

That was right. Well, shit. Kicking his ass would complicate things with Sophie. "Fuck him."

"Thats my boy. When he comes for you, kick him extra hard for me, all right?"

"Will do."

Drew bit his tongue to keep from saying anything foolish. Women handled things differently, and while he understood and respected that, sometimes he had a really hard time seeing how it wouldn't make things better to just deal with it all at once. Or kick someone's ass. God, he really wanted to beat the shit out of someone. But at the moment, his friend was sad and hurt and probably watching one of her "girl power" movies because she needed to know there was still solidarity to be found in the world. There was something to be said for movies like that, but right now he was more worried that it meant Sophie was feeling pretty damn low.

"Alright. I'll try." With that, he let her go and tucked his phone and wallet into his pockets and grabbed his keys. He was out the door and heading to Sophie's side like a bat out of hell.

Sophie lie in bed watching the story of three intelligent, beautiful, charismatic women were let down by men they loved--or had loved at some point. Because of a similar situation, their close friend committed suicide, prompting these three to meet again and reestablish a friendship. Okay, silver lining number one to this situation: she didn't feel as though life was no longer worth living. Silver lining number two: a sad thing was happening, but it was bringing her closer to people who cared--or seemed to care--about her. Silver lining number three: ice cream was forthcoming.

The artist watched the three women get together to formulate a plot for "justice". Another life lesson: sometimes in this world if you want justice you have to take it for yourself. It was wise, however, to be sure you knew what that would mean. She'd managed to get her sniffles to stop, and at this point was just waiting for the puffy eyes to go back to normal, and her throat to stop hurting quite so much. She had water, but it could only do so much.

She held her dog close, petting the one creature in her life who'd always been there for her. Her faithful stuffed pup had always listened when she needed someone to talk to, had always protected her from monsters under the bed and nightmares in her head. It had always been with her. Oddly, it seemed like the only thing that had always been on her side. Just as she was thinking this, there came a knock at the door. Frowning, the girl sat up and tucked her little dog into the bed so it could be safe and paused the movie.

She got up and checked who it was via the peephole. Lo and behold, the only other man who had constantly been on her side was there for her. She smiled softly and opened the door. His loyalty had dragged him over here a little more quickly than most--he was panting from running up the stairs and to the building. He watched her, saw that she'd been crying and in bed and pulled her into a tight hug. "Hey Soph. Want some company?"

And just like that, she let him in.

Some time later, Amy was finally pulling into the parking lot outside of her dorm. A look of frustration was fixed upon her face. There had been only one line open, and the cashier there had apparently been new. He had spent forever looking over each item for the bar code, and even when he finally did have the entire cart scanned, he took forever with the computer. Amy swore her ice cream would melt by the time she got it paid for, and could only hope it still had some semblance to ice cream consistency when she finally got it to Sophie. She sighed, turned her car off, pulled the keys from the ignition and dropped them in the bag with the ice cream. Taking the bag, she stepped out of her car and started to make her way to her room, when she noticed something. Someone, rather.

Evan was crossing across the parking lot, and he did not look much better than Sophie. His hair was disheveled, and settled upon his face was the most depressing expression any person could possibly muster. His clothes were wrinkled, his hands jammed into his pockets. He did not seem to notice anything around him. She considered letting him go, but her curiosity got the better of her. Bag still in hand, Amy made her way across the parking lot to Evan. "Evan!" she called, waving an arm.

It took a few tries, but he eventually got onto the fact she was calling his name. He turned, and when he saw her, he looked away, pained. When she neared him, he sighed, turning to face her. "I don't want to talk about Sophie, Amy." He said in greeting. Amy would not be deterred, however. "She's in tears, Evan. What did you do?" Evan's depressing expression quickly shifted to an angry one, and with a great huff he spun around and started walking off. Amy kept after him, not giving up. "You have to tell me something, Evan. I saw something great between you two, and I know you saw it as well. Why would you ruin that?"

She had said the wrong thing, she suddenly thought. Evan froze, turning his head to look over his shoulder at Amy. His expression was a mix of great anger and grief, a terrible mix; he seemed to be on the verge of tears. When he spoke, it was in low growls, pausing after every word. "Leave me the fuck alone." Amy didn't follow after him when he stormed off, blinking a few times after him. What had she said that set him off? Had he seen how good they were together? Was he angry that he ruined it? Or was he just angry Amy had bothered him?

Amy spun and walked back to the room, still analyzing what had just transpired. When she slipped into the room, she was surprised to see Drew there (not really), and waved at him. "Finally got the ice cream," she said, with a smile.

Sophie had cried a little more once Drew got there because it was Drew and she knew that he'd support her regardless of whether she cried or not. She got over it pretty quickly, though and washed her face before coming back out to him. He got her settled into her bed and lay next to her, one arm around her like they used to. She still held her little stuffed dog, Byron, but he didn't judge her for it or call her childish. If there was something about Sophie that he knew well, it was that she had a system worked out--a way of handling major disappointments and sadness. It was an effective system, and he knew better than to question it.

So he sat there like a good friend and watched a movie about three women getting revenge on their cheating ex husbands and turning that into something empowering and good for the community. He'd seen it more times than he really cared to, but he kept his mouth shut, laughing when it was appropriate and making sure that Sophie had his affection if she needed it. About two-thirds of the way through the movie, Amy came in with ice cream.

Sophie hit pause and sat up. "Thanks. Hey, where'd you go for it? You were gone pretty long," she said, wondering what had held up the blonde.

Drew on the other hand just smiled and waved. "Ice cream is always pretty good. Have you seen this movie before?" He asked Amy, nodding at the screen.

"It's a great movie," Sophie said with a smile. It was painfully obvious that she was trying to think about anything but what had happened to her. Hopefully no one would bring up anything else. "Hey, I was just thinking, I shouldn't stay in all night, right? Wanna go karaoke with me tonight? It'll be fun."

Drew raised his eyebrows. This was a new part of the system to him. But if she was going to try something new, then he wanted to be there just in case it fell through. "Sure. I can drive us. You wanna come, Amy?"

"Ugh," Amy began, rolling her eyes and sitting the ice cream on her desk. "Freaking new guy! Took forever! I swear he was inspecting each item for gold or something. Sorry if the ice cream is melted any."

With that, she sat about pulling out a bowls and spoons. "No, I don't think I have seen that movie," she said in reply to Drew. "Want some ice cream?" She asked him, tilting her head to one side. She then sat about to dividing some ice cream, passing bowls to all who wanted some. When she settled on the futon, she smiled at Drew. "Sure! Sounds fun." Truth was karaoke sounded like anything but fun, but Amy wanted to be there for Sophie. She doubted she would actually sing, but...it couldn't hurt to go and hear other people sing, could it?

As she ate her ice cream and watched the movie, she thought back to her encounter with Evan. She had so far decided to not to mention that, still trying to work through what she thought of his reactions. She couldn't quite pinpoint what had hit a nerve, but she had something that bothered him about as much as Sophie had been bothered in the first place. Would it be wise to mention this encounter? Probably not. It would likely upset Sophie to hear anything about him at the moment, and Drew wouldn't care. It would likely be best for Evan to not be mentioned or seen around Drew for a long while. Inwardly, Amy sighed. She'd just keep that to herself, then.

Yeah. Karaoke would be fine. It would be a good way to express herself without hating herself after. Plus, she could get drunk if she really needed to. She would wallow until tonight, and then she would get out. She would let off some steam and then go back to classes with a new perspective on life. Bleak or not.

Amy was in, which was both encouraging and a little annoying. Now she'd be more self conscious. Maybe some drinking was in order later tonight. Drew was in, but that was pretty much a given. He would have gone with her to the lingerie store--and waited outside. He felt the need to protect her like an older brother or something. It was good to know that he would be there for her for as long as she wanted--probably too long.

Sophie accepted the ice cream, which was only a little more melty than she would have expected. She ate it, letting its minty goodness soothe her pain. She thanked Amy for the ice cream again and filled her in on what was happening in the movie. It finished with a sweet musical number that ended with the three main characters dancing off into the night.

Amy ate her ice cream and enjoyed her time with her friends, even if it was right after Sophie's...break-up?

Evan walked with his hands in his pockets, his face solemn. Ryan was with him, but Evan wasn't paying him much attention. Evan was busy trying to not think about Sophie, and trying to not think about how much he had messed everything up. He was, of course, failing miserably, and it made him somber. He really doubted he would be any fun at this party they were walking to.

"Dude, you really have to cheer the fuck up," Ryan said, punching Evan in the arm. "Sophie was just some bitch, man. You got into her pants, you moved on. Just forget about her." When Evan didn't reply, Ryan shook his head. "I can get you any girl you please, man, and some of them are thousands of times better than Sophie."

"Just shut up, Ryan," Evan replied with a growl, shaking his head. "You really don't know anything about the deal with Sophie, and I don't feel like talking about it. Now, can you drop it and we go get drunk like normal people my age?"

Ryan laughed, giving Evan a playful shove. "Only if you promise to get laid tonight. Last time a girl left you, you went on like a year long hiatus. Its seriously not cool to be friends with a monk at a party."

"Whatever, man." Evan shook his head, but he couldn't help but smile at Ryan's comments. "I'll see what I can do," he finally said.

Sophie and the others watched the movie, finished the ice cream and then got ready to go out. She had a few things to sing about tonight and she was ready to do it. She did her hair and make up and got dressed up. She wore something red and slinky with lots of shiny jewelry. When she was through, the artist looked like she was practically made to go on stage.

She smiled at Amy and shook her head. "Ready to go? Tonight I'm going to get those pesky emotions out and damn if I'm not going to have a fantastic time doing it."

Drew, true to his word, was waiting just outside the dorm. He'd dressed up a little--not much though. Jeans some nicer shoes, a black button up shirt. He wore a watch and had his hair in pretty much the same style as always. From experience, he knew that Sophie was in a whole other class when it came to singing. He was decent, at best, and he would be required to sing at least one song. So while he was waiting, He started to think about what that song might be. The first to pop into his head was "Cruel to be Kind," but he wasn't sure that was such a great idea in the presence of two women who'd just been treated pretty poorly.

Then again, maybe it could be uplifting? No...probably not. It's not a life after love kind of thing. What would really work for him? Something frivolous was always fun, but he got the feeling that Sophie and Amy could use something a little more deep than something like "Sex Bomb." Besides, Tom Jones was a little too good for him to emulate.

Amy didn't dress nearly as nice as Sophie, wearing a simple black dress with bracelets and a necklace laced with smooth black stones. It was a depressing color, it was true, but Amy felt it fit, even if she wasn't the one who was depressed this night. She straightened her blonder hair and let it fall in golden waves to her shoulders, and she smiled at her appearance in the mirror.

"Yes, let's go!" Amy said excitedly to Sophie, though she hoped she would not need to get onto the stage. She wasn't a bad singer, she just didn't enjoy being the center of attention.

Amy smiled at Drew when she spotted him, his handsomeness really standing out to her. He didn't dress any fancier than she had, but something about him seemed different, and she liked it. Maybe it was the fancier clothes. She approached him, her smile widening. "You look good," she said, scanning him up and down, before turning to both of the others. "Well, let's get going!"

Sophie was pleased to see her roommate excited for a night out. Amy had kind of been in a slump since Ryan leaving her. This trip seemed to help the both of them. Even though Amy wasn't quite fancied up on Sophie's level, it was good to see the blonde getting into the spirit of things and dressing up. The outfit was black, but it seemed to suit the mood of the evening, and that was okay with Sophie. Besides, Amy looked great in black--it really set off her hair and skin tone. All the more reason to not waste these outfits staying in.

When her roommate was ready, Sophie led the way, smiling broadly when she saw Drew standing there. He'd certainly done well in dressing up for the occasion. It wasn't too much, but something about him just looked amazing. So she smiled and silently appreciated just how the shirt accentuated his broad shoulders and toned physique. Amy, however, was a bit more obvious.

Drew never really worried when Sophie wanted to go to a karaoke bar. He'd probably get roped into singing one or two songs and have a few drinks before he tried to sop them up with a big meal--usually a huge cheeseburger with a mountain of fries. When Sophie eventually got through her feelings, she'd drink until he stopped her and made her eat, and then he would take her home. Hopefully, he'd have Amy's help this time around. Overall, though, he could think of worse ways to spend an evening than with two beautiful women he cared about.

Speak of the devil...Wow. Sophie always looked beautiful, but Amy was stunning tonight. The two of them had "heart breaker" written all over them, and he couldn't help but feel himself being pulled into their allure. Alone they would have been tempting enough. Together they were a goddamn force of nature. They both smiled at him, pleased with his appearance. That Amy complimented him made him grin again, a little wider this time. "Thanks. Well, we're off!" With that, he slid between the two of them, walking in the middle so that he could protect them both at the same time.

And maybe also because he looked like the luckiest man on earth.

When they reached his car, he opened and held the door for both ladies and then got behind the wheel, driving toward their destination. In just a few minutes, they arrived at "The Vox Box" a relatively new karaoke place downtown.

Drew seemed happy when they showed up, something that only made Amy feel better. When he walked between her and Sophie, Amy almost had to giggle at the sight, as Drew seemed positively euphoric over it. Just glancing at Sophie, Amy knew that many people who saw them would be jealous of him, and having Amy on his arm as well definitely did not hurt his position. She slipped an arm through his as they walked, smiling up at him. He seemed genuinely happy and that made her happy. She smiled the whole way to the car.

The car trip was short, Drew having taken them to a newer place called "The Vox Box." Amy had never been before, and as she stepped out of the car, she looked around. "You guys been here before?" She asked. The place looked very nice, respectable but small. That made Amy feel a little bit better, as there couldn't possibly be a whole lot of people in here. She might be willing to sing then. Maybe.

Sophie shook her head. "No, this is the first time we've been to this one, but I've heard some nice things about it. We usually went uptown to the eighth note, but this is a lot closer. From what I understand, it's a little cheaper here, too. Ya know, since it's smaller." Sophie smiled as she slipped out of the car. She grabbed Drew's hand and bounced a little, seeming to vibrate with energy. The closer they got to their destination and to completing their goal, the more excited she became. It was good to see that Amy seemed a little more excited too. Of course, that may have been because she had eye candy like Drew on her arm, but that was fine.

Drew took Amy's hand in his and led both girls to the door, pleased that they got in. The place was small and cozy, but housed enough people to show the occupants a good time. The bar looked well-stocked and the patrons looked friendly enough. Some were really dressed up--others were in sweats and flip-flops. Everyone, however, looked happy. This was exactly the kind of thing Sophie needed, and Drew was glad that his friend was taking in something positive for the evening.

For such a small place, it had more people than Amy expected. Still, the atmosphere was nice, something necessary and positive. Sophie seemed to be positively shaking with excitement, and Drew seemed happier than she had ever seen him. As she looked around, her smile fell only a little; this place seemed nice and cozy, someplace she could relax even as she embarrassed herself singing in front of everyone. If this place was new, that meant she didn't run a high risk of running into someone she had a class with, meaning whatever embarrassment there was would stay between her, Sophie, and Drew. She could live with that.

"There's an open table over there, right by the stage," Amy pointed out, and grabbed Drew by his other hand, leading him to the table. When they arrived, she smiled, sitting down. "Seems like a nice place, all right." She smiled, looking around once more. She noticed that no one was at the karaoke stage, but the equipment was set up. "Also looks like we get first dibs on the karaoke if you wanted to get started, Sophie." Amy giggled at that, wondering what all the other patrons would think when Sophie just stood up to sing.

Drew was glad to see that Amy seemed pretty excited herself. If there was one thing he enjoyed, it was seeing her smile. Sophie's smile was pretty up there on his list, too, though. Honestly, as long as the two of them were happy, so was he. So he grabbed a chair at the table between the two of them and let Sophie decide what she wanted to do first.

The artist practically skipped to the table, looking around her. God, she loved being out in places like this. Not to mention, she got to blow off some steam. It looked like she'd be the first to sign up, though. Rather than wait, the girl walked up to the song book, found the ones she wanted and signed up for several slots. No one wanted to be first, though, so she figured she'd get things started. Why not?

Amy smiled as she watched Sophie practically skip up to the karaoke, before she scooted closer to Drew. "She's excited," she said with a smile. "She's acting so different from what I did when Ryan left me." Amy let herself have a sigh, but she forced the smile back and refused to think about it. She looked back over at Drew, looking him once over. "You really do look good, dear. Its nice to see you smiling for real." She cocked her head to the side, letting her hang in waves over the table. "Her being happy really does make you happy, doesn't it?" There was a small pang of jealousy that shot through her, but Amy ignored it. Drew and Sophie were very close, but she knew that there was a part of Drew's happiness that was caused by her.

Drew grinned as he watched his friend head onto the stage, excited to see what she was going to do first. Sophie was a talented singer and a decent dancer when she wanted to be. It wasn't difficult to see why this was such a great outlet for her. When Amy scooted over to sit next to him, he tore his eyes away from the stage to look at the blond. "Well thank you. You look pretty great yourself." He smiled and leaned back into his chair, trying not to seem like he was trying to get her attention. Even though he kind of was. Why waste a good hair day, right?

"Yeah, Sophie's like a little sister to me, even if we are the same age. I'm a little protective, but we've been friends since I can remember. When she hurts, I hurt, ya know?" He smiled and then looked back at his friend as she flipped through the selections up there. After a moment he returned his gaze to the woman before him and nodded. "But Sophie's pretty tough. She's learned how to handle herself pretty well when she's hurt. It doesn't work for everybody, but she knows herself pretty well."

Before they could talk again, a dj came on over the PA system and announced that Sophie would be kicking off the show.

The artist smiled and waved as she was greeted with applause and some music started up.

"This was a triumph," she started. "I'm making a note here, huge success." When the audience caught onto the song she was singing, several hoots and some laughter spread threw the crowd. Several tables began to sing along with her as she went through the final song of Portal. By the time she got to the next verse, most people had caught on and were either happily singing along or calling out encouragement to Sophie and her beautiful voice.

"I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now. Even though you broke my heart and killed me. And tore me to pieces. And threw every piece into a fire. As they burned it hurt because I was so happy for you. Now these points of data make a beautiful line, and we're out of beta--we're releasing on time. So I'm glad I got burned. Think of all the things we learned for the people who are still alive."

She made her way through the next verse easily, her voice growing a bit in volume as she finished up with the last bit. "And believe me I am still alive. I'm doing science and I'm still alive. I feel fantastic and I'm still alive. And when you're dying I'll be still alive. And when you're dead I will be still alive. Still alive. Still alive."

Sophie finished to a warm reception of cheering and then cleared the stage so the next singer could take the stage to sing "Wild Thing."

The crowd really seemed to like Sophie's choice of song, and while Amy did like the song, she knew nothing else about it. It seemed kind of funny, but kind of weird all at the same time. Still, Amy couldn't help but admire Sophie's skill at singing, she was very good. Way better than Amy ever had been. She leaned over to Drew as Sophie sang. "She's good," Amy said, just loud enough for Drew to hear. "Now I know I can't go up there," she half joked, watching Sophie the whole time. "Are you a good singer," Amy asked Drew, glancing breifly over to him. She wondered if she would see Drew up there singing.

When Sophie finished her song, Amy clapped as cheerfully as the rest of them, impressed by Sophie's ability. When Sophie came to the table, she smiled warmly at her. "That was good! They really seemed to like that song!" Amy said, with a smile. "No way I can follow that one up." Amy giggled, still only half joking about that.

Back
Top Bottom