Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Batgirl Begins (dbspock/WendyTheRed)

The fact Barbara was fully covered again made it a bit easier for Harvey to exit the vehicle. It wasn't like he was missing a show.

The number Harvey gave her was, of course, accurate, and Jim picked up on the second ring. "Gordon." He announced, clearly not enamored with his new title as he didn't bother using it. He didn't ask who was calling, although he didn't recognize the number. He assumed if whoever it was wanted him to know, they would tell him. And it wouldn't be unusual for him to get a call with some anonymous tip that didn't want to be identified.

But if Jim was to make a list of who he thought might be on the other end of the phone, Babs would have been at the bottom. Jim froze when he heard the word 'dad'. No one had called him that in over a decade. His first instinct was that it was a wrong number, because only one person on the planet had ever used that term with him, and she didn't even have the number. But she kept speaking, and while he didn't recognize the voice...more than her breasts had changed over the years...there was something about it that confirmed this was indeed his daughter.

"How did you get this number?" He demanded, the mystery of that forefront on his mind before he switched over to father mode, or at least father/detective mode. "Are you all right? What happened to your mother?" After all these years, he now thought of the woman as Barbara's mother rather than his wife, and some sort of injury to either of them was the only reason he could think of for this phone call.

She winced at his tone and looked outside, wiping at her eyes. She resented her mother suddenly and bit her lip not wanting him to hear the emotion in her voice. She took a couple of breaths before she answered.

"I met a cop and he gave it to me when I convinced him I really am your daughter. His name's Harvey. He helped me after I had a run in with a gang called uh...ghost vipers? Something like that. I'm ok!" She hastened to add. "Mostly. They harassed me and stole most of my stuff but he helped me get my phone and wallet back and arrested the one whose nose I broke."

She took a deep breath before answering his other question. "I ran away. And well I'm in Gotham. Surprise?"

"Bullock?" Jim said with surprise when Barbara started her story. Sure, there were other cops named Harvey on the force, and they all could have found Jim's number, but Harvey Bullock was the first one that came to mind, especially as the next Harvey Jim could think of, Harvey Walker, would have driven Barbara out to the middle of nowhere and abandoned her if he thought she was the Captain's daughter. "Ghost Dragons." Jim couldn't help but correct her, though his first thought was that Bullock got it wrong when he told Bab's about them. He let out an audible sigh of relief when Babs said she was okay...most who ran into the Ghost Dragons weren't so fortunate.

Jim then sat up a bit straighter in his chair. "Wait...you broke his nose?" Jim actually let out a bit of a laugh at that. Babs had always had tomboy tendencies from what he could remember, so it seemed that part hadn't changed. But her next words stunned him into silence for a few moments. Ran away? In Gotham? The words just did not compute for him.

"Where are you?" He asked, not because he hadn't heard her, but because Gotham was a big place and he didn't want to search through the whole town for his daughter. Though he would if it came to that.

She shrugged at his question even though he obviously couldn't see the gesture. "Uh he didn't give me his last name. He's middle aged, wears a trench coat, hasn't shaved in a couple of days and has gray in his whiskers. Hmmm..." She looked at the car she was in. "His car is older than I am I think? Does that sound like Bullock?"

She smiled proudly at his reaction to her breaking the thug's nose. "Yeah he had smeared my own toothpaste in my hair and tried to write on my chest with my lipstick so when I got loose from him and his friends I punched him right in the nose. He sure seemed a lot less brave when he was in Harvey's backseat!"

At his next question she hesitated, looking down at herself. "I'm in Harvey's car. I'll have him bring me to you when he gets back? I think he's taking that ghost gang guy to jail right now."

"Of course not." Jim muttered softly, the rudeness of not properly introducing yourself confirmation that it was indeed Harvey Bullock she had dealt with. Not the person Jim would have selected to go pick up his daughter, but there were certainly worse choices. Arkham Asylum was just full of them. "And no, his cars not older than you, though his trench coat might be. Harvey just has a way of wearing things out." Jim actually laughed a bit when Babs mentioned how scared the gang member was. "Yeah...The Dragons are pack animals. Separate them and they fall apart." Jim told her, missing the clue she had just offered about her state of undress when she mentioned the boy writing on her stomach.

Jim shot bolt upright in his seat when Babs mentioned she was in Harvey's car and that he was processing the prisoner. That meant...she was in the building? Like somewhere he could get there easily? Why hadn't she said so in the first place? "I'm on my way." Jim said as he shot to his feet and headed for the door of his office. One advantage of his promotion was that he no longer directly reported to anyone and didn't have to get approval to run a personal errand like this,

She picked up on her dad's tone and felt an urge to defend Harvey, he had saved her after all and gotten her stuff back. "He was nice to me. I mean kind of grumpy but he helped me and got my stuff back well some of it at least."

She nodded and thought back smirking slightly. "I may have made a fist and glared at him in Harvey's rearview mirror. Dad, no one helped me. It all happened on the bus and no one did anything..."

She felt a thrill of panic when he said he was coming to get her. "Uh you might want to let Harvey get me first?" She swallowed and worked up her nerve to tell him what had happened. "They...pulled my clothes off. Harvey was going to give me a blanket but there were a lot of them around the car and we had to leave." She left out that he could have given her one before that, feeling a continued need to defend her "savior".

"Uh huh." was all Jim said when Babs tried to come to Harvey's defense. He wasn't surprised at the report really. Harvey seemed to get along better with kids and teenagers than adults, and if Babs had truly had a problem, as it seemed she did, it was no surprise Harvey had helped her. He chuckled a bit when she reported she threatened the thug in Harvey's mirror. "That's my girl." He complimented her, pleased to note that her rough arrival hadn't frightened her out of her wits.

Jim had no idea how long it was going to take Harvey to process the prisoner, and he wasn't about to wait when his daughter was so close after all these years. He was already at the garage level anyway. His grip tightened on the phone a bit when she reported no one had helped her. "Yeah...that's not unusual in Gotham I'm afraid." Jim admitted. It was one of the hardest parts of the job, even trying to find a witness after a crime when he knew damn well everyone had seen it happen. No one wanted to get involved, except some guy in a bat suit. "We'll get you some new clothes." Jim promised as Harvey's car came into sight, and he could see a batch of red hair sticking out above the seat. In his excitement, he didn't process what Babs said about the blanket and just rushed to the door so he could give his daughter a long overdue hug.

She was pleased at his approval of her actions and felt better than she had since her arrival in this town. She sighed as he confirmed that what happened on the bus wasn't unusual. She remembered her earlier thoughts that someone should do something and her brief fantasy of being that person someday.

She bit her lip when he mentioned getting her new clothes. "Yeah we uh should do that asap dad..." She blinked when she saw someone approaching but was relieved to see it was him. She quickly checked that the backpack was still in her lap and covered her breasts as best as she could with her freehand, her face turning as red as her hair as he got to the window. She unlocked the door and gave him a shy smile.

Jim saw her face and her smile, and that was all he processed at the moment as he opened the door. Jim crouched down a bit then reached out and tightly wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pulled her into a tight hug. "Babs." He said softly, using his old pet name for her, as his arms wrapped around her shoulders...her bare shoulders. But that didn't translate into nudity for him...she could be wearing a tank top or halter top of some sort. That wasn't what was on his mind right now, he just wanted to hug his daughter, and he couldn't help but chuckle softly as his glasses touched hers as he put his face next to hers. "I see you inherited my eyesight. Sorry about that." He said as he pulled her towards him as hard as he could.

The emotion of the moment overcame her embarrassment. Not only love but also relief as she'd had an irrational fear he might not want anything to do with her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shoulder. "Dad I'm sorry too."

She wasn't sure what she was apologizing about. Her mother taking her away. The trouble she is probably causing by being here. Or even just what had happened since her arrival. "I don't mind my glasses except when I drop them and have to fill around for them like Velma in Scooby Doo..."

Jim had an irrational fear that she might reject his hug, and therefore him, even after traveling all this way, and she could feel the tension drain out of him as she wrapped her arms around him in return in a long overdue reunion. He wasn't sure what she was apologizing for, but it seemed they both had a lot of mistakes to make up for. It was a bit awkward trying to hug her while she was seated in the car, so Jim tried to straiten up a bit and pull her to a standing position outside the car as he kept her wrapped up in a tight hug. "It's all right." He assured her, not sure what was going to be all right but certain that it would be. He chuckled a bit when she mentioned Velma. "I remember watching that with you." He recalled softly.

She blinked as he went to pull her out of the car and grabbed her backpack to try to preserve some modesty. She assumed he just wasn't worried about people seeing her but she was so she held it to at least cover her lower half, her naked breasts covered by him.

She nervously spoke up. "Uh dad do you have a blanket or maybe can I have your coat."

Unlike Harvey, Jim wasn't wearing a coat at the moment, and he didn't have a blanket in his back pocket, so he found her statement a bit confusing. "What?' He asked as he finally broke the hug and took a step back to get a good look at his daughter...and saw far more than he had anticipated. "What?" he asked blankly as his eyes focused on her naked breasts, then everything finally clicked together. The Ghost Dragons had tried to RAPE his daughter. Or at least he hoped it was just tried. He saw the toothpaste still on her tit, and realized the source of the minty smell when he'd hugged her. He also saw the words 'SLU' on her stomach and had little difficulty filling in the blanks...and coming to the realization Harvey must have seen his daughter's breasts as well.

"Get in the car." He finally instructed her as a patrol car was nearing their position. He glanced around for something to cover her with, but the immediate area had nothing available. Except..."What's in the backpack?" he asked hopefully.

She scrambled back into the car without hesitation covering her breasts with her arms again and placing her backpack into her lap. "Well it had some changes of underwear, my makeup, my toiletries and my phone and wallet. They stole it all and all Harvey managed to get back was my phone and wallet..."

She shrugged a little self consciously. "I didn't pack a suitcase, I just shoved some stutt into my backpack and took off....and now most of that stuff is gone..."

Jim didn't think to divert his eyes when she turned to get into the vehicle, so he got a good view of her bare ass as well, and he couldn't help but recall their hug and realize her bare breasts had been pressed up against his body. He tried to push that thought from his mind as he focused on the problem at hand. "Right." He said as she dashed his hopes for a quick solution. "You be all right here for a couple of minutes? I have some clothes up in the office you can borr...have." Jim doubted she would want to keep them, given their condition and the likely fit on her, but he wanted to give her the option.

She nodded in reply to his question, not caring in the least what the clothes might look like. "I'll be fine. When Harvey gets back he has a blanket in his trunk I think so if he gets back first I can wear it until you're back." She shrugged. "Besides after the bus and stuff sitting here is no big deal." She smiled and settled back to wait.

It was a big deal to Jim. After 11 years of separation he didn't want to leave Babs so soon...but he also didn't want to see her breasts again, breasts and an ass that had reminded him far too much of his ex-wife. "I'll be right back." Jim promised as he turned and darted off.

True to his word, he returned less than two minutes later. He opened the door of the car once again, but this time he didn't try to hug her. Instead, he placed two items on the backpack that was sitting on her lap. When she examined them, one would be a sweatshirt with GCPD emblazoned on the front...and sweat stains under the armpits. There was also a pair of sweatpants that would doubtless prove too large for her. Babs would also discover that Jim had a blanket with him, but this he simply held up in front of the door, giving her at least a modicum of privacy while she got some clothes on.

When he returned and dropped the sweats in her lap she looked at them like they were solid gold. When he raised the blanket she may have set a new record for getting clothes on. She dressed so fast she actually knocked her glasses off in her haste and had to briefly fumble around for them.

She let out a very happy sigh when she got her glasses back on and called out to him. "I'm dressed dad." She paused for only a moment before blurting out the biggest worry she had. "Are you going to make me go back?"

Jim had been afraid she would complain about either the size, or he suspected, the smell of the clothing he offered her, but she did neither. Indeed she started to put the clothing on so fast that Jim didn't even get the blanket fully into place before she started, thus giving him another glimpse of full frontal nudity before he thought to shut his eyes. And it seemed it was only a few moments later when she gave him the all clear and he looked at Babs with a broad smile...then a soft chuckle. When she was a small child, they had often played dress up with some of his old Marine uniforms which were of course way too large for her. And this was how she looked now, practically swimming in the clothes he had offered her.

But the amusement quickly drained from his face at her question, which answered a big one for him...how long was she planning to stay? It seemed she had no plans to return, but it wasn't that simple. "Not if I can help it." He told her firmly, and he was ashamed to admit he wasn't sure what Bab's legal status was. Had her mother been appointed legal guardian, and would the courts try and force her to go back? But that wasn't going to happen anytime soon, so they could worry about it a bit later. But there was one issue they had to deal with now. "But we will have to tell her where you are." He said firmly. Last he knew, his ex had moved out of state which meant Babs had crossed state lines coming here, making him a possible accessory to a federal kidnapping charge, and that was a headache he did not want to deal with on top of everything else.

She rolled the sleeves up on the sweatshirt and she did wrinkle her nose slightly at the smell of it but she didn't complain. She did her best to secure the pants, tying the waist tie if they had one and stepping out of the car. She'd quickly bend over and roll up the bottoms of them so they didn't drag and threaten to trip her due to their size difference. She glanced over her shoulder as she adjusted the pant legs, catching the look on his face. She misinterpreted it however.

"Don't worry, I didn't do anything bad that caused me to leave. I'm not like...running with bad crowds or doing drugs or anything like that. Things with mother are just...intolerable." She sighed and returned her attention to rolling up the pant legs. "But yes, I knew you'd say we have to tell her. I don't want to but I know if we don't then it could cause you problems. Speaking of, at least Harvey can tell people you had no idea I was coming. I didn't even have your phone number until he gave it to me!"

One of the problems with a massively oversized sweatshirt that couldn't be solved by simply rolling up the sleeves was that when one bent over, the neckline dropped quite a bit. And when one wasn't wearing a bra, the view left little to the imagination. Yes, getting Babs some clothes that fit was high on the agenda, Jim just wasn't sure how he could afford to buy her a whole new wardrobe. Jim mentally added it to the list of problems they had to deal with. At least one problem they (hopefully) would not have to deal with was Babs pants falling down, as they did indeed have a tie and she seemed to fasten it securely.

Jim blinked as she assured him she wasn't running away from some sort of legal trouble. The thought hadn't crossed his mind. One advantage of seeing Babs naked was that he'd been able to determine she was a healthy weight with no sign of track marks or tattoos, in his experience all symptoms of some sort of trouble at home. "Good to know." He told her, feeling it best not to mention how he'd already come to that conclusion. He couldn't help snorting a bit at Babs's description of her mother. Some things never changed, it seemed, but he didn't want to badmouth the ex so he let the description pass without comment.

He also chuckled a bit when she said to use Harvey as an alibi. Jim wasn't sure he wanted the oaf of a detective anywhere near a witness stand. "Don't worry about me. I have an airtight alibi." He assured her and as soon as she was done adjusting her...his?...outfit, he held out a hand to her. "Come on. We can figure this out at home." He told her, then frowned as he tried to figure out where Babs would sleep in his tiny little house.

She straightened and then leaned back into Harvey's car to snatch her backpack. She was quite happy to open a side pocket and see that the gang thug hadn't had time to grab her phone charger or headphones when he ransacked it. That was something at least. She shouldered it and turned to him, taking his hand. "Don't you need to finish work? I can, I don't know, find an out of the way office to sit in? Or if there is a library nearby I can wait there. Trust me, I can spend hours in a library if no one bothers me." She closed the door to Harvey's car. "Oh, and I guess I should tell Harvey you came to get me. He may be worried if he comes back and I'm not here."

She had noticed his snort when she talked about her mother but didn't comment on it. She wasn't exactly fond of her either at the moment though she was sure he had far more reasons to be unhappy with her than she did.

Jim smiled when she took his hand, just like when she was a little girl, and he squeezed it gently as he began to walk with her towards his car. "That's one of the advantages of being the boss. I can take off a bit early if I need to. And right now, I need to." Truth be told, Jim had already worked over 60 hours this week, so no one would accuse him of slacking. Or rather some would, but those would complain no matter what he did, so he just ignored them. He smiled when she mentioned the library...he'd always enjoyed reading to her when she was little, but that time was now well past. "I don't think I've ever seen a Ghost Dragon int he library, so you'd probably be safe there." He assured her. "I'll go ahead and text Harvey and let him know you are coming home with me." Jim promised. He wasn't sure he liked the idea of his daughter calling the rough detective Harvey, and he knew damn well he didn't like the idea of her being in the car naked with him, but there was little he could do about either at this point, so he chose to ignore it.

It was only a short walk to Jim's car, which was only slightly newer than Harve's but in far better shape. There were no fast food wrappers on the floor either. Jim stepped a bit ahead of Babs so he could open the door for her, which he did with a slight bow. "Your chariot awaits, Madam." He said with a grin.

She smiled as he led her across the parking lot and looked relieved when he said he'd text Harvey. "Good, I don't want him to worry. And I'm glad we're going home honestly." She paused, a thought occurring to her and she tried to think how to bring it up. In the end, she decided to be direct. "Are you ummm...married? Do you have other kids?" Her tone sounded almost...scared when she asked. She knew she'd been gone for over a decade and if he had other kids, how could she possibly compare to them?

She grins at his playful chivalry and dropped a curtsy. Well, what she could remember of a curtsy from TV then stepped into the car and put on her seatbelt, waiting for him to circle around and get into the driver's seat.

"I don't think Harvey ever worries." Jim said with a snort, but he didn't want Babs to worry so once she was seated firmly in his car, he texted his partner and let him know he was taking the rest of the day off to spend some time with his daughter. He couldn't help but smile as she said she was pleased they were going home...that was going to take some adjustment on his part. It wasn't his home anymore...it was their home. Jim had been trying to make that mental adjustment when she asked him about a family, and he couldn't help but laugh despite the fact it was a serious and valid question.

"I'm sorry." He apologized once he got the laughter under control. "But no...not married, no girlfriend, and no other kids. It's just you and me, kiddo." He promised her and once he was sure she was safely buckled in, he turned the engine on and began to slowly back out of his parking space. Compared to the way Harvey had driven, Jim was driving at a positively sedate pace.

"So what about you? Got a boyfriend back in..." Jim stopped talking as he realized his last two letters had been marked 'Return to sender...no forwarding address' and he really had no idea where Babs had been living.

Back
Top Bottom