Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

homura (DarkMudkip/Jikkah)

DarkMudkip

Cluster
"Please...!! Please, I'm still useful...!! I can still fight...!! Don't cast me aside, Sanemi-dana...!! I can still prove myself to you...!!"

Yuko sat out on the garden deck, rubbing her sore knee tenderly as she watched the rain fall gently over the plants. She, a once proud Tsuguko, was demoted to kakushi after a fight with a demon crippled her. She had trained for so long under Sanemi to become his successor only to have it be robbed from her. Sanemi hardly spoke to her anymore, let alone looked at her. He was always so angry, always trying to get her to leave, but she always refused. She had begged Kagaya to let her stay, to let her continue to help, and his kindness and care allowed her to become a kakushi under Mitsuri. She wanted to prove herself to Sanemi, prove that something like this wouldn't keep her from being a Slayer. She had nightmares still of that night, and woke up screaming sometimes. She even dreamed of when Sanemi ordered her to quit, his anger and disgust haunting her almost worse than her injury did. She exhaled quietly, watching the ripples in the puddles with sad eyes.

Her sword had been retired, turned in for medical supplies and other various things one who would be on the road would need. Walking was usually easy enough, but on rainy days such as this one, it really hindered her traveling abilities. Luckily Mitsuri had no current destination, taking a brief break at a lodge in the mountains were most of the patrons hid inside from the heavy rain. Mitsuri too was indoors, preparing tea and snacks for herself and the other kakushi- tea was always better with friends she would tell Yuko.

Yuko enjoyed following Mitsuri, though they were very close in age, the Love Hashira was like an older sibling. She helped Yuko figure things out after her injury, listened to her when she felt alone. She was grateful, really. With some effort, she pushed herself up and moved back inside.
"There you are, Yuko-chan!" The other kakushi looked over and smiled, "You just vanished!"
"I'm sorry, I just needed to think." Yuko replied with a soft smile.

“Your tea will grow cold if you don’t drink it soon; is everything alright? How’s your leg?” Mitsuri sat with a few of the kakushi at a table full of snacks and drinks, Mitsuri knocking back the dango with ease.

"Sore, as expected with the rain. But I'm ok, Mitsuri-sama." She said gently before moving to her reserved spot with the others, a small limp in her walk as she moved, "I didn't mean to worry you."

Mitsuri shook her head, a bright smile on her face that illuminated the room. “Nonsense, if we’re to work together as a team, then we have to look out for one another!” She rested her hands on her teacup to warm them. “Make sure to do your stretches that I showed you, they should help alleviate some of the pain in your leg.”

Mitsuri blushed and put her hands on her cheeks. “Not at all! You guys are making me blush!” It was such a different change of pace being with Mitsuri over being with Sanemi; the mood was always up, the kakushi chatted amongst themselves and with their Hashira- it was uplifting.

With Sanemi, it was always training. Always be at your best. There were few times she managed to share a moment of peace with him, and her heart ached for those times again. She missed sitting with him and sharing botamochi with him - even when he argued that it was called ohagi - she never saw him so at ease than when they had times like that. She felt her eyes burn with tears and she wiped them away quickly, not wanting anyone to worry about her, most of all Mitsuri.
"Yuko-chan, what's wrong?"
"Is it your leg?"
"Do you need to go stretch or walk?"
"Daijoubu, daijoubu! Just a twinge, I'll be ok!" Yuko said quickly, smiling widely.

Mitsuri looked worried, shifting closer to Yuko. “Do you need to take your medicines? It’s alright if you need to retire early, no one will blame you!” She said, once again fretting over her kakushi.

She blushed and lowered her gaze, "N-No...I'll be ok for now...I like having this time with you and everyone, Mitsuri-sama.." She said.

Mitsuri nodded, reaching out and taking Yuko by the hand. “If there’s anything I can do for you, please let me know, Yuko-chan!”

She blushed and nodded, "I-I will. Thank you so much.." She said, squeezing Mitsuri's hand, "Please don't let me keep everyone from enjoying the snacks."

Mitsuri nodded, smiling brightly again. “You should have some too! They’re simply divine!” She picked up another helping for herself as she spoke.

She smiled softly and ate and drank with everyone, enjoying the liveliness of everything and the joviality. The snacks were pretty good, she had to admit, and was glad Mitsuri was enjoying more than her usual intake of food. She was surprised at first to see someone of Mitsuri's size eat so much and not gain a pound, but now it was just as normal as everything else. When everyone had turned in for the night, Yuko sat under her double blankets and stared into the lantern light, not at all tired. The cold hurt her knee too much to sleep, and she was lost in thought anyway.
"Please...!! Please, I'm still useful...!! Don't cast me aside, Sanemi-dana...!! I can still fight...!! I can still be useful to you...!!" Yuko begged, struggling to bow as low as she could to Sanemi, her leg splinted and bandaged tightly to allow it to heal. The demon they had gone against should have been no problem for her or her master, but she was too cocky trying to prove herself and the demon bit a large chunk from her thigh above her knee. The bone was clearly visible, as well as the torn muscle and ligaments, but despite that she tried to complete the mission. She couldn't stand, let alone stop her pain filled tears. She had to be carried home by kakushi, who did their best to treat her in the field. And now that she was home and recovering, Sanemi had come to her to tell her she would no longer be his Tsuguko. She was destroyed and immediately tried to bow, to plead for him to reconsider.

Everyone at the Butterfly Mansion had done everyone they could to try and save Yuko’s leg, but the wound was too extensive. Too much damage had been done, and despite their best efforts, Yuko was now permanently crippled.
Sanemi would come soon after, looking furious. He had told Yuko to regroup, to not run off by herself, but she had disobeyed and ran ahead, allowing for herself to be ambushed.
“You’re crippled, Yuko. Kocho doesn’t even know if you’ll be able to walk again.” It was clear he was angry, fists clenched and eyes livid as he stared her down. “Get up. Stop your damn groveling. I’ve made my decision. You should quit the Corps and retire, you’re useless now anyway.” His words were harsh, harsher than her wounds, but he was right- what more could she do if she couldn’t even walk?

"I-I'll get stronger!! I'll go through whatever I have to, please, Sanemi-dana!! Don't do this!! I'll become your kakushi!! I'll do anything, please...!!" She couldn't see herself in a world without him, without his hidden kindness and care. She should have listened, she shouldn't have disobeyed; she just wanted him to see how good she was. How strong she had gotten for him.
"I'm not useless, I swear...!!"

”I told you to get lost!!” He snapped at her, grabbing her roughly by the collar and yanking her up to look him in the eye. “You’re useless now, and people like that don’t get to ask for anything!” He let go of her collar before turning to leave. “If I see the request, I’ll take what’s left of your leg.” He said before leaving.

She sat numbly on the floor, the hollow feeling in her chest easily blocking the searing pain she felt in her leg when he dropped her. The Butterfly Mansion healers tried to help her back into bed, dragging her as she just let them move her. She didn't want to give up or leave, she could still fight, even if it wasn't as a true slayer. When she was able to move, she humbly requested an audience with Kagaya; she knelt as low as she could to him.
"Oyakata-sama, I ask humbly that I be allowed to continue to aid the Slayers as a kakushi. I," she paused, "I know my handicap is a burden for now, but I'm doing everything Kouchou-sama has asked of me to heal properly. I want to prove that I can still help, I can still be useful. Please allow me one more chance."

Kagaya had just recently lost the remainder of his vision, now needing to be aided full time by his wife or children. Even so, he gladly accepted Yuko’s request to speak with him. He sat before her, the same grace and poise as always accompanying him as he stared ahead blindly.
“You are aware that pushing yourself past what you’re capable would put you at a greater risk of death?” His words were soft like his voice, only concern for his underling showing through. “Though your wound may heal, your body won’t function the same again- even so, you still wish to risk your life?”

She nodded before she realized he couldn't see and flushed, "Hai. I want to do everything I can for you and the Corps. It's the least I can do for shaming Sanemi-dana as I have.." She replied, "for shaming you as I have. I want to atone however I can, Oyakata-sama."

He offered her a kind smile, even though he could not see her. “You have nothing to atone for, my child. If it your wish to continue to aid the Demon Slayer Corps, I would not stop you.” He said. “However, you must prioritize your health and recover completely before returning to the field, there is no need to be reckless.”

She nodded quickly, throat burning as she struggled not to sob. She was so relieved he wasn't angry with her like Sanemi was.
"I-I will. Thank you so much, Oyakata-sama. I won't fail you again, I promise."

Yuko slouched a bit before finally putting out the lantern and trying to sleep. Maybe on the way home, she could ask Mitsuri to allow her to visit her friend at the swordsmith village. She hadn't seen Botan in a good bit.

It was the morning before Yuko even realized it, opening her eyes to sunlight coming into the room. It would take her a few moments to realize that she was hearing a commotion coming from somewhere outside her room, several voices shouting over one another.

Back
Top Bottom