Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Gramercy Plaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dylan Murphy
Tagged: People at the Split Bean

Narration in voice of Dylan Murphy
" I know what you are thinking. I know it and you are wrong. Just because two grown people have fun together after one of them being a client for the other, and because they keep offering to buy expensive gifts, it doesn't mean we aren't just friends.

"I mean sure, she offered to give me the condo as a gift, but I insist on taking as business income and paying taxes on it, of course I also write most of it off as an expense. You would be surprised how many high dollar divorces happen inside these walls.

"And yeah sure, she might be a few years older than me and normally I am seen with younger women. But she is a terrific lady and still hot.

"So none of this makes me a gigolo. Not really"

--

Dylan went on with his occasional inner dialogue and mental mantra as he got into the shower after hitting the weight bench in his living room. He was sweaty and he needed to get the salt out of the hairs on his chest if he was going to have any chance of smelling human and not like a cro-mag.

Still, he didn't have time to linger, no Hollywood shower today, he thought back to how his dad would have put it, him a lifer in the US Navy, a Master Chief. Most of the kids had taken nautical jobs. One brother followed him into the navy, while another practiced Admiralty Law - a rather lucrative niche to be sure. His sister worked on a cruise ship.

And then there was Dylan. He took a job with the Port Authority Police, but eventually transferred to the bigger action and brighter lights of the Big City. Oh well, a man has to follow his course.

He was so lost in thought he had missed paying attention to his routine of getting dressed and had wandered into the elevator already. At that, he paused and took very careful inventory of what he was wearing - a dark blazer, a muscle shirt, black jeans, and black Samuel Hubbard oxfords, a heck of a lot more comfortable than tactical boots how would normally have worn back as a cop.

While he was glad he wasn't out in just his boxers. He probably could have used to shave this morning too. But apparently his need for caffeine was strong enough to take over as a sort of rudimentary autopilot , he was glad he at least brushed his teeth first. He finally made his way into the Split Bean, went to the counter. Coffee, medium roast, 1 cream, no BS. No Machiato, no caramel, no froth.

Only after the life-giving infusion of the brown ambrosia into his mouth was he capable of social pleasantries like acknowledging other patrons, at which point he noticed there seemed to be a lot of women in this building. That was definitely not a bad thing, though he suspected he might have a hard time getting people to watch football games with when the fall came. He could play hipster, at least in most things, although not his morning coffee. But in truth he was blue collar . But nothing was to say a Blue Collar Man can't enjoy the finer things from time to time, either.

Tagged: Faith Noel, Dylan Murphy (your order is ready)

“Yes ma’am. Only the best,” she added, her smile growing. Faith had spoken to her. It wasn’t that she idolized her. Faith was a strong woman who had been through so much, far more than most ever endure in a lifetime. It was respect, admiration, more than anything. Her words were haunting. Perhaps it was the atmosphere that surrounded her that made these simple, common words take on a new light. She took her coffee and headed to a quiet table. Well, as quiet as it could be at this time of day. Lucy couldn’t help but watch her, pausing from the urgency of the morning rush. Lucy sighed, wishing there was something she could do. Grief is a heartless emotion that sweeps over a person, consuming them, taking everything they are and leaving them to pick up the pieces, the shattered remains of their heart. It was clear that Faith Noel hadn’t been able to even begin to put her life back together again. Would she ever be able to? She was a mother without a child, lost in this world. She had lost her place, and there was no one there to help guide her. Lucy’s heart went out to her, wanting to give her some warmth, some comfort, even if only for a second, but she was terribly inept at such things.

Instead the unrelentless flow of customers pushed her forward. Coffee, medium roast, 1 cream. She mumbled the words as she committed the order to memory. He seemed like an okay sort, typical for what she saw on a daily basis here. Most of the customers were not capable of being pleasant until their morning dose of caffeine flowed through them. She was glad she never grew dependent on the stuff. Keeping out of the ice cream shop, on the other hand, was an uphill battle. She did have a fondness for chocolate. She called the name, “Murphy,” taking note of the attractive man. Offering him her warmest smile, she slid the cup across to him, hoping for something, a warm good morning would have been enough, but alas. ‘Another coffee addicted person,’ she thought, softly giggling.

She turned around to see the empty table and the purple flower. Those haunting words came back to her once more, and Lucy felt a tugging at her heart. She held up a hand, signifying she would be right back. Disappearing around the corner, she grabbed the phone from the wall and dialed. After a moment, she spoke. “Lucy.” Again she waited until the voice on the other end of the line said, “You have a collect call from, ‘Lucy’. Do you except the charges?” Her mother quickly answered. “Yes! Lucy?! Is something wrong?” She took a deep breath, pushing back her tears. “No mom. I just wanted….I just wanted to say I love you, and I miss you.” The sound of her mother’s happiness could be felt across the line. “Oh Lucy. I love you too, and you know I miss you. You can home anytime.” Lucy nodded, knowing this already. “I know. I gotta go mom. I’m at work, and it’s busy. I love you. Talk to you soon.” Lucy hung up the phone and headed back to the counter. Her eyes were moist with the tears that she had worked so hard to push back. She could feel the slight flush in her cheeks. Still, time had to move on. Looking over, she took one last look at the flower in the tip jar. “Okay. Who’s next?”

Arthur Connington
Tag: "Cassie Gutierrez"

Arthur's worries flared for a moment when Cassie sat down besides him, and yet promptly vanished when she started talking. She didn't seem angry or disgusted, so the clueless man calmed down soon enough. "Yes, of course" Arthur answered to the seeing again proposal, for a moment ready to come to the Bistro 121 every morning if he had to, even if he wasn't completely sure why. Perhaps it was the friendly touch on his arm, a gentle caress that he didn't know how much was missed until that moment. Perhaps his daughter was right and he had to move on, but thinking of her made him aware of how young that woman looked. "Some nights... tonight?" he asked, as Arthur thought that he could as well pass by the bar at night, since he lived so close it wouldn't be much of a hassle and it was mostly a casual affair.

Seeing that she was eager to leave, something understandable after the work shift was over, Arthur backed a bit, letting her go even if his mind screamed that he was missing something, forgetting something. "Ah! I didn't pay the check, but more importantly didn't give you a tip for all the hard work!" he finally noticed, fumbling around for his wallet, fishing well enough to pay for the coffee and the sweet treat, adding an extra twenty to compensate for his clumsiness. "I won't keep you busy anymore" Arthur said, leaving the money on the table, closing his laptop and putting it in the suitcase. "After all I was supposed to shop for groceries" he confessed.

Arthur has never felt clumsier in his life, it was like he was a teenager again wondering how to ask someone to prom. One of the things that had made their marriage work, was how natural, how easy it felt for them to be with one another. Now, being in the market again so to speak, there was a whole galaxy of social clues, of manners and gestures, of innuendo and half spoken truths that not only he wasn't adept at, but also any reference he may had was outdated by a couple of decades. Perhaps he could be like one of the determined, no holds barred, honest to a fault male characters, the ones that not only knew what they wanted, but also how to take it. And what did Arthur Connington want? If only he knew.

Tag: Sarah Barkeley

Jaz and Sarah sat on the couch, drinking the cold soda’s and just getting to know each other a little. She knew she was jumping the gun a little here, but she felt like Sarah would be exactly the kind of roommate she was hoping for. She was smiling and animated, not the type she was going to have to hold a mirror under to check she was still breathing.

Jasmine had decided to ask for a little under half the rent from the friendly woman and watched her face, looking for signs that meeting the asked for price might be a problem. So far though, she hadn’t seen anything that might hint Sarah wasn’t being honest and straightforward with her.

Smiling and relaxing back into the sofa, Jasmine let out a sigh of relief and decided to be honest. “You are actually a bit of a lifesaver Sarah...your timing is perfect. When moved in a few months back I knew I couldn’t cover all the expenses myself, well I can eat, or pay rent but not both. But I love the apartment so much I couldn’t let it go, and looking at you, I think you feel the same way,” feeling a little reckless, she leaned forward and placed her empty glass on the coffee table and continued “If you can accept everything we discussed with rent payments….” clearing her throat, suddenly a little nervous. “Well, if you like...well, I think we could give sharing the place a go? You could move in whenever you like, the room is empty as you seen, so ready to move in...I don’t know if you have other furniture or things that you will be having shipped or ...are you maybe buying new things? Well, no matter...the couch is a pullout, so if you don’t have anything yet, I don’t mind you crashing on it until you find what you need.”

Standing up and walking over to the huge window and looking out onto the balcony, Jaz lifted her shoulders in a shrug, took a deep breath and gave her final sales pitch, “Truth is, the sooner I find a roommate the better, and I think we could make this work,” she laughed and blushed slightly “and after some of the applicants I’ve heard from...and seen...you are more than welcome if you are interested.”

Tag: Jaz

Sarah sat on the sofa and together with Jasmine, she drank a nice and refreshing soda like she did with her friends, but the thought that she barely knew her by not more than thirty seconds made her feel even more strange, almost out of place, yet, it felt natural to just stay there, with the bottom still squared like the uncomfortable train seats and drinking something fresh.

<<Half rent? Sure. No problem.>> She spoke with nonchalance while sipping the fresh drink, as if she was speaking of the price of candies, but modest as she was, she knew that she wouldn't have given a damn for her bank account, she just needed a place to stay and a few hundreds to keep her fed and happy, if something would be spared even then, then to the bank they go.

<<Lifesaver?>> she cocked an eyebrow, not expecting such words from Jaz <<Oh, i see... well... if i have to tell you, you're quite the lifesaver too... i just jumped over the train without the barest idea of where to sleep or... where to stay and call it home>> with a giggle she realized how stupid that thing was, hoping that she would not label her as stupid and reckles girl for life; <<Because if the advertisement i saw was old, out of date or just taken, i would have had to...uh... start from scratch... So yeah, we're lifesavers!>> said her with a laugh.

Suddently, she saw Jaz to stand up and walk on the balcony, almost with melancholy and spoke again of how she might end without money if she doesn't find a flatmate or... end with a terrible one. Gasping, Sarah stood up too <<Ah, uh... yeah, of course, I TAKE IT!>> her voice almost a triumphant tone as she realized now that had yet to formalize her decision <<Oh, and don't worry about...uh... furnitures... i just need an horizontal surface, possibly soft, where to sleep, a functional bathroom and a plug for my laptop and cellphone. All the other things are useful and welcomed. Unnecessary... but most welcomed. ...don't worry, you'll not see me handling ...furnitures around, *teehee*>>

Slowly, she walked too over the balcony, looking at the magnificent plaza built around them <<So...we have a deal...?>> with a smile, she offered her hand <<...Flatmate?>>

Tag: Sarah Barkeley

With a huge smile on her face, Jasmine excepted and shook Sarah’s hand, and not being able to contain her happiness she gave in and flung her arms around her in a quick tight hug. Laughing while she stepped back just as quickly.

“Yes! Flatmate!!”

Over the next few hours Jasmine and Sarah worked out all the little details, Sarah received the extra key Jaz had gotten with the apartment. They talked about groceries and what they both might like to have stocked in the kitchen at all times, foods they had a common love of. Sarah told her about some of the games she played and even though Jasmine had no idea what she was really talking about, she looked forward to watching and learning.

She gave Sarah a little information on the nearby stores and shops. There were a few upscale clothes and specialty stores in the plaza, along with the absolute best ice cream place, the bistro in the lobby that was open almost all hours of the day and the coffee shop just across from it.

“I think you are going to like it here, I haven’t been here too long, but so far, everyone I’ve meet is really friendly,” Jasmine was telling Sarah “and the coffee shop has some great tea to, if you are more into that. I tend to start running around like a hyper squirrel if I drink too much caffeine, so I stick to the tea unless I need an extra boost.” looking down at her watch she noticed the time had gotten away from her. She had been having so much fun talking and getting to know Sarah she hadn’t paid attention to the sun making it’s way across the sky.

“Crap, I have to get my butt in motion here. I have a few errands to get done before hitting the library tonight.” Jaz got up and started darting around the apartment, running into the bathroom and applying the bare necessities of makeup, I stroke with an eyeliner, a swipe of mascara and a quick layer of lip gloss. Luckily she had set the tub to draining while she had shown Sarah around the luxurious bathroom. Still shouting out to Sarah, the bathroom door open while she tossed her damp towels into the hamper and raced to her room to change.

“Please do whatever you want, take a look around and get comfortable...I’m thinking you won’t feel completely like this is your home until you’ve been here a few days, but...it is!” she rushed out of her bedroom, pulling a sweater down over her head and trying not to walk into a wall. She went to the desk and jotted down her cell phone number and handed it to Sarah while packing her backpack for the day. “Call me if you have any questions, or you need anything...I won’t be in class today so I’ll be able to pick up anytime. I probably won’t be home until late...but there is food in the fridge if you don’t feel like doing any shopping today,” Jaz stopped for a second and looked around.

“Okay, I think that’s it, have fun and I’ll see you soon! I’m just so happy you found the ad!! And that you took the chance of just showing up for it!!” smiling and waving, Jasmine raced out the door, opting to take the stairs to shave a few seconds off her time. She had a few things to get done before she could make her way to the library, but she felt a huge load had fallen off her shoulders. Next step was to find a part time job so she could start putting away a little money instead of only just making ends meet. She remembered the ice cream shop having a sign in the window...or was that gone again. She would peek in tonight once she got home. For now she had things to do.

Dylan Murphy
Tagged: Lucy Martin, Faith Noel

Once he had a sip he felt as if his world opened up, like everything that had been happening around him had been stored in a buffer and just now caught up. He fasted a belated smile to the barista " apologetically but then saw she had a call. He lingered a bit at one of the high-top tables , leaning not sitting, and finished his first cup.

He came back up, this time with a smile "Good morning, sorry, my mind was not quite in gear yet before, late night. If you have any chocolate croissant I would love a cup of dark roast to go with. Otherwise I will go with a blonde roast so I can get my recommended daily allowance of caffeine " He smirked, his doctor would give him hell had they heard him say that.

When the order came back he went to slip a 20 into the tip jar, he always overtipped. Too many of his friends growing up had been waiters or waitresses, or their parents had. Now adays he would never miss it, and it wasn't like he had any reason to save. He saw the flower and folded the note and handed it to the barista

"It looks like your tip jar is otherwise occupied. That's for you, thanks for the coffee, and the smile. Both are appreciated" He felt a little funny, usually when he tipped, he was gone before people realized he had left a good tip, he would look back and see them smile. It was an easy way to make someone's day, but he didn't like to be around because he wasn't doing it to be a big shot. And of course it was even tougher when the server was absolutely gorgeous. Not that he didn't like to flirt , of course, he just didn't want to be that kind of guy.

But on the other hand, he didn't want to deny her a good tip just because she was , well, absolutely gorgeous. So he grinned at her and then headed out. He had some research to do.

Tag: Jaz + People of the Plaza

Sarah would have expected many kinds of reactions: from the simplest nod and handshake that concludes a transaction and seals a contract, to a seemingle pre-written list of thanks, but never she would have expected that, after that simple and more than enough handhsake to be exchanged like old businesswomens, Jasmine would hug her so tightly and express such happiness, leaving Sarah with a vague expression on her face but smiling nonetheless for the surprise.

They sat back again and chatted of everything: Jaz gave her her key and explained where and what to find a few shops, the places of interests in the neighborhood and the like, nodding to her words, Sarah had a great time as well, feeling that talking with Jaz was something easy and felt talkative, like if the two knew eachother since their times at school <<Hehe, i would drown in coffee, y'know i... YIKES!>> the shifting of pace in the whole ambient caused by Jaz getting up and running around startled the copper-haired girl that almost curled over the sofa, allowing Jaz to move freely into her domain. In few minutes Jaz got a makeup, gave her cellphone number and explained the last things before rushing out of the door, leaving Sarah in an almost unnatural silence.

<<...uh... h-hi?...>> said her almost in shocked daze, as she heard the echoing sounds of Jaz's feets running down the stairs...

Looking around, Sarah smiled, with a single thought shining in her head like a flashing light "My home" "my home" "my home", immediately she called back her parents <<BIG NEWS FROM THE CITY!>> giggled her while at the phone, with a job at a few steps from where she lives and a nice apartment in one of the most IN locations of the whole city, she felt her life to gain different tints, almost gaining colour. Excited and almost trembling, Sarah walked on the balcony and looked at the people of the plaza, the trees of the gardens, the potted flowers, and the smell of freshly-baked pastry... and sighed, a content smile on her lips.

With a last, almost melancholic look at the plaza that kept its life outside the windows, she decided that before doing anything else, she had to officially occupy her room, and, excited like a little children that is surprised with a newly furnished room, she giggled to herself at each inch her glassed eyes discovered and begun to neatly pack her clothes in her wardrobe, placing her pajama beneath the pillow and sort all of her other items in the drawers.

Looking at the clock of her phone, she realized that the day was, afterall, yet to start off and with the knowledge of having a full day before having her job to start off, she decided to be a tourist in the Plaza and see with her own eyes why did that place became so famous. Once outside, she really felt more a tourist than one of the surely envied ones that could say <<I live in Gramercy Plaza!>>, but she kinda still had to make room for that thought in her excited mind, as she lit a cigarette and wandered around the plaza's rim, she felt her stomach to growl "Dang, i should've had eaten something before venturing outside" but the smell of edible items made her opt for a treat. Mumbling, she roamed in order to spot a suitable place "Uhm...coffe shop... nah....ice cream shop... nah... uh! Bistrot!"

Walking with a calm and relaxed pace over the plaza, and casually emitting whiffs of dense smoke, she walked near the Bistro... but felt strange, "...i'll not eat there alone" slowly moving her path around, as if she was never meant to walk around that place, she ended up walking on the side-streets, the ones that would usually offer better servings for a way cheaper bill. Feeling encouraged by the lack of people in that way, she walked forth and decided that, maybe, she would just buy something for the day "...maybe a bottle of beer... two... or more for tonight. ...to celebrate..."

Lucy Martin
Tagged: Dylan Murphy

Her hand was clenching the terry cloth tinged with coffee, wiping the counter. Business had slowed a bit, and the influx of customers had given her a moment to catch her breath. Her mother and Faith were still on her mind, as were other things as well, when the, “Good morning,” took her attention. Instantly she smiled upon seeing his face. A chuckle rose up as he mentioned his min not being in gear yet. That was the case with a lot of the people who came those doors. “It’s okay,” she assured him. “I see it a lot.” She took care of his order, fishing out a chocolate croissant. As she made his coffee she said, “Blonde roast? Perish the thought.” Her voice was laced with teasing and a hint of a laugh. “Dark roast is always better. It awakens the senses and the pallet. Course some people would say caffeine in general does that.”

She handed him his order, wanting to keep her gaze on him, but Lucy didn’t want to stare. Tearing her gaze away from him, she picked up the cloth once more and resumed a half hearted attempt at continuing to clean the counter. Attractive customers come and go all the time. Stealing a glance or two is easy. Wait for the right moment, look over casually, see their face, their back, the backside, whatever was visible to the eyes, and keep going. She was afraid she wouldn’t be able to look away a second time, and yet still she couldn’t resist looking back to him one more time. Just as she did, he was there again, speaking. The smile was instant once more as she left the cloth in place, reaching for the folded tip. “Thanks,” she told him, looking over at Faith’s flower still sitting in the jar. “It needed a home, and I can’t bear to throw away a perfectly good flower.” He left, leaving her to stare at the flower for just a bit. Unfolding the money, she looked down to see it wasn’t a one or even a five. Her eyes widened. “Wait,” she called out, looking up at him. Quickly Lucy left the counter, leaning around the corner as her feet carried her towards him. “Wait! I can’t accept this,” she told him, shaking her head. “It’s too much. All I did was give you your coffee and croissant.” She didn’t want to offend him. After all, he had seen fit to give her that amount in the first place. “Tell you what. You sit with me while I’m on my break, and I’ll keep this. Deal,” she asked extending her hand. “Come on. You’ve gotta give me a chance to earn a tip this big.”

Dylan Murphy
Tagged: Lucy Martin

'Damn, caught' he thought to himself. He smirk was a bit sheepish as well and he nodded 'It's a fair cop". He took her hand firmly and shook it. He took physical contact seriously , like a smile, it was not something to take for granted. "Alright, you have a deal. " He grinned at her and let her lead him to the table at which she wanted to sit, and then pulled out her chair and sat next to her. He stuck out his hand "Dylan" he said and expected hers in return, he tried not to look at name tags because he didn't want to be thought to be checking out a gal's breasts unless he was actually checking them out.

"You are pretty quick I have to say, normally I am out the door before anyone noticed what kind of tip I leave. I assure you I am not some philanthropist or anything. I just know it doesn't take a lot to make someone smile, to maybe make their whole day a little better. " He sipped his dark roast "You see my grandmother was a waitress, and she told me my great grandmother was a waitress during the days and cleaned offices at night, while my great grandfather Murphy worked on the factory floor. " he paused to take another sip "In my line of work, I get to know a lot of wait staff, and I believe in taking care of the people who are taking care of me "

"Myself, I have had things pretty good, at least lately" That was more or less true, at least financially, things were going better now than they ever had for him. Personally, well, they could be better. He had to admit taking the opportunity to sit with a pretty gal did help his mood and his perceptions. He could get pretty mission locked at times, and when that happened, he tended to be a bit more grim.

"So tell me about you, you don't strike me as your typical city gal" He smiled broadly to let her know he meant it only in the best way possible.

Lucy Martin

His grip was firm. It was easy to notice as he shook her hand. Still with a smile, she showed him to her favorite table. It was tucked away in the corner, away from the flow of people, away from the noise, secluded somewhat, and yet still in plain sight. “Sometimes the best things are overlooked,” she said as he pulled out her chair. Once more she shook his hand, offering her name is return. “Lucy. Lucy Martin.” It felt strange to say her name, knowing it was on the nametag. Still she appreciated him treating her though she wasn’t wearing one. It allowed her to feel for a moment like she wasn’t the waitress she was. Of course she didn’t feel there was anything wrong with the profession. It was just that for a moment, she didn’t feel as though she was at work, dependent on her job. For a moment, she felt like she imagined the people who lived her did. Financially secure, able to afford the luxurious condos here.

He talked about himself, and she appreciated that as well. She felt like his equal, though she was sure that wasn’t the case. It never ceased to amaze her how people would spill their lives to her over a cup of coffee. People are strange in that sense. They spend their whole lives being guarded and protective of themselves, and yet a smile and warm cup of coffee can open up so many doors. Lucy drank in every word he said, relishing getting to know him better. An attractive man was talking to her. For her, there was no time for dating or meeting men. So this was a rare treat.

“ A typical city girl,” she laughed. “No. I’m not.” Lucy laced her fingers together in front of her as her hands rested on the table. “Your family sounds as though they have their priorities in line,” she told him before clearing her throat. “I can appreciate that. My mom raised for the few years of my life alone. My dad….well the man who is biologically my father….was a real piece of work. She taught me people can be strong on their own. Finding someone to share things with, well now that’s just icing on the cake. She found my dad, my real dad, years later. I think real parents raise their kids and then let them make their own choices. Sure they’ll screw up. I mean we all do, but real parents are always there for them. I could pick up the phone and call them, and they would have me back, but no,” she said, looking around the coffee shop. “This is my dream. Not working here,” she quickly added with a laugh. “To be on my own, maybe go to school, maybe find..someone..someday, to have a life,” she shrugged. “Does that sound crazy to you?”

"Cassie Gutierrez"
Tag: Arthur Connington

Cassie smiled, she could see she had him flustered. it was almost refreshing a bit. If only she had known how truly ironic it was , the master of romance and sensuality, so off his game. Cassie wondered if perhaps her recognized her as Chelsea, though she really doubted that.

She could tell he was a bit off balance and so she let him off the hook easily as she let him pay his check. She eyed the extra Jackson he left. That showed he cared about people beyond himself and not just people who were big shots, and that, after all was what she was looking for.
"I tell you what, I wasn't planning to work tonight but you know I was going to go shopping a little too, maybe we could go together? Share a cab unless you have a car or I am game to walk if it is close too. " She smiled warmly at him, puting her hand over his comfortingly "Or maybe you would just prefer to meet to buy me a few drinks later?" She would leave it up to hiim, and she was obviously in no big hurry to leave at the moment.

She was sort of glad she was punched out now so that she didnt have to check her other tables. She would make it as easy as she could on the guy , hopefully he could manage to say that word "yes". She smirked as she thought to herself, the modern world was so complex, especially when you go about assuming the identity of the immigrant on probation to hide your real identity as a filthy rich heiress.

Arthur Connington
Tag: "Cassie Gutierrez"

"I just need to pick a couple things from the Green Grotto, you know, the organic stuff shop of the plaza" Arthur commented, his tone suggesting that his shop of choice had more to do with proximity or habit than a real conviction of being picky with his shopping. In reality, he was accustomed to shop as organic, green, fair trade and whatever else his daughter wanted, so even if she was now on college he was keeping the same habits. On one hand it was crazy daring of him to go for drinks with a girl half his age, but at the same time he wanted to clear his head a bit, so she preferred any options that included the word later.

"I think I'm up to buying us some drinks, right here even if it's not too awkward" Arthur commented, not knowing if going for drinks where she worked would be odd. "I say it just for convenience, since I just live here" he blurted, making himself aware of something. "Although maybe you live a bit far and it's inconsiderate of me" he promptly added. "Not to mention that I know nothing of the it places to go for drinks so..." Arthur had an idea, that perhaps would be enjoyable, make Cassie happy and serve for her to clean the cobwebs out of his life in a friendly manner.

"I have an idea" he announced. "How about you take me wherever you are comfortable and show me how is it a fun night with Cassie?" Arthur proposed. "I'm way out of the loop, but expenses are on me, it's the least I can do even if it sounds old fashioned" he said. Taking a small pause to consider his words, he soon added something else. "If we want to be a bit more modern, you could come to pick me up. "I already said I live here after all..." he added, showing a smile that went from his lips to the wrinkles beside his eyes. "Nine oh one" he added, mentioning one of the big apartments in the upper part of the building, not quite a penthouse as it was a few floors down but still big and expensive.

Dylan Murphy

Her words burned in his ear and a lump set in his throat for a moment , " real parents are always there for them". But he quickly forgave himself for the 301st time. None of that was his idea, that whole situation, none of it. Still, he suddenly wished he had asked for a dark roast and bourbon. Sometimes the brain just does not want to shut off. That, he believed, is what alcohol was really created for. But the subject of his family, and why he was not with them, could not be with them, was one of the things that kept him up nights. It had done wonders for his abs though since he started doing crunches whenever he couldn't sleep.

Still, he managed a mysterious smile rather than the pain he felt. and he was rewarded with a question. "No, Lucy Martin, I do not believe that sounds crazy at all. You are perfectly sane and you have your lovely head on quite straight, I am happy to report" He grinned at her. "So listen, what time do you get off? I was thinking I would like to take you out tonight. No place fancy, maybe a bite, maybe some drinks. You are good company , and I would like the chance to get to know you."

Of course, his method of getting to know a girl could vary wildly depending on how receptive they were. He suspected with Lucy that she might decline, or at most he would get a hug or kiss on the cheek at the end of the night. Still, one never knew. Sometimes the most innocent looking ones could surprise you.

He looked at her and into her eyes deeply , wondering what secrets she might be hiding.

"Cassie Gutierrez"
Tag: Arthur Connington and Charlie Winchester

Cassie smiled "um, well sure i can come pick you up, though i dont live far from here at all" she giggled "Although i do live at my mother's place" she pouted. "what time would you like me to stop by?" Her face was a smile but that was a mask quickly erected when he came up with the idea. Sure that sounded like a great date all right. The only problem was, Cassie was still finding out what Cassie liked. She knew what Chelsea liked. And she knew she wanted to be normal, but she was still learning about all of that.

Cassie wrote down her cell number on a napkin, and put a little heart on it around the name Cassie, and handed it to him . She needed to get away for now, after all, she was going to have to find out what she liked to do so she could share it. She managed to keep the panic out of her eyes until she was out of the Bistro, and then she ran out of the building and back towards the alley to try and catch her panic attack before it came. She perched on the edge of a stoop in the alley.

She felt like Pinocchio, wanting so badly to be real, but having no idea how to go about it. She felt like she was made of wood. No, not wood, veneer. She was a veneer. She wiped a tear away and only then she saw the street performer gal who was always out here. She blushed "Oh, hi... sorry " She got up from the stoop and then looked at her and planted herself back on the stoop. "I... hey, you play really nice by the way" she dug into her pocket for a 10 she got earlier. and offered it "I.. I dont suppose you know what people like to do that makes them happy like they are having fun?"

She felt stupid at that question and then excused herself and headed back for the building. Her head was swimming. Who knew trying to be yourself would turn out to be this complicated?

Arthur Connington
Location: The GPC: Bistro 121 and on his way to the Green Grotto, an organic food stuff shop in the plaza.
Tag: "Cassie Gutierrez"and later alone.

The pout was cute, although it didn't serve to distract that Cassie still lived with her mother, or so he understood in passing. "Going for drinks... I'm guessing after dinner... is nine o'clock fine?" he wondered, noticing a hint of excitement on her, or perhaps urgency. Did she had places to be and he was bothering her? Ah, he had to stop being so paranoid, she just offered to go shopping around with him, it couldn't be that. When he could react to the cute phone number in napkin moment, Cassie was already gone. Arthur felt completely out of his element, not having dated in forever, second guessing every decision, word and reaction. "I better be moving, even if I have all day..." he sighed, surprisingly calm. There would be time to get nervous once the time approached, but now he had to do some shopping.

Out of the Bistro 121 and into the plaza, Arthur enjoyed the wonderful weather, probably still dazed by the events that just transpired. It had been quick, weird and... strangely easy? It wasn't twenty years ago anymore, perhaps things didn't have to be so difficult, always afraid of other people's judgment, always hiding... Arthur shook his head free of memories of the past that had no place on his mind and adjusted the laptop's bag on his shoulder. Heading to the other side of the plaza towards the Green Grotto to pick some organic greens and free range eggs, or organic eggs and free range... Ah, the hell he knew. He just needed some eggs and stuff to make a salad. He took note of Cassie's number on his smartphone, but he still carefully folded and stored the napkin on his wallet. Perhaps it wasn't so bad to get out of the writer's man cave that his apartment had turned into, after all.

Tag: Passer-by-s & customers

Despite her quest for the cheapest shop she could find in the neighbourhood, Sarah found herself to walk around the streets and roads that, like a web, started from the center of the Plaza and get lost into the daedalus of the city around them, with her tiny nose high into the sky, looking at the new buildings and the old buildings decorated with art decò flowers and paintings, feeling the dull, gray, polluted air of the city entering her virgin nostrils, almost feeling them to whither like a plant abandoned and left to die and dry...

Suddently, a shop appeared in front of her with flocks of people entering and exiting from the door, many of them wearing big beards, big glasses and generally looking like they lost a bet and had to wear grandma's tight clothes together with ones borrowed from their little brothers, looking at them like in marvel, she sighed with a faint smile "...so those are the hipsters?". Still, the shop caught her attenciton as well, with the words Bio and Organic underlined several times and decorated with floral notes and swirls, almost making her feeling nostalgic of the shops near her farm...

Inside the air felt fresher, as if a device was kicking away the polluted air of the totally non-organic nor bio otuside, with the shop appearing well-maintained and well-prepared to satisfy any need a customer might have. "...i can make an apple pie... i bet Jaz will love it!" Sarah mumbled while wandering around the isles of the Organic shop, searching for apples, butter and dark, unrefined flour...

Tag: The Doorman, Charlie Winchester, Mr. Woods the tea shop owner

Running down the stairs, Jasmine’s sneakers squeaked on each step, the irritating sound echoing in the halls. Her hand tightened at each new flight, controlling her path while she darted around the bend to the next set of stairs, fingers sliding down the cool metal rail.

She jumped the last two stairs when she made it to the floor she wanted and barged into the long vertical rod, keeping the doorway to the lobby locked from non-residents. Slowing down a little on her way out of the Gramercy, she waved politely to their doorman and rushed past him to the glass double doors. She still couldn’t believe she lived in a building so upscale as to have the extra security of a guard/doorman double checking everyone that arrived.

Emerging from the grand building, Jasmine stopped for a moment, taking a deep breath and enjoying being outdoors. Yes, the air was muggy because of city pollution, but the sun was shining and the warmth caressing her cheeks made her smile. She heard the beautiful and inspiring wave of notes from the corner and found the street proformer, a young violinist, when she looked over. The girl's body flowed, moving in a dance of emotion while creating a transcendent melody with her instrument. Jasmine admired the girls skills and always wondered why she was playing on a street corner instead of somewhere more worthy of her abilities. Jas had thrown a few dollars into her collection a few times, but she was in a hurry today and decided she would just have to drop a few extra bucks in the next time she passed by.

Jasmine spent the afternoon running around the city. She picked a book up from the antique store on the opposite side of town. The professor she TA’ed for had asked her to grab it before their classes tomorrow, so Jasmine had needed to pick it up today. After that she was taking the bus to the East end, there she visited a shop she found her first semester. It carried a specialty tea she had fallen in love with and she dropped by at least a few times each month for a refill.

The familiar sound of a bell clanking when she opened the door to the tea shop made her smile. She loved the old fashioned way to ensure the shopkeeper was alert to any customers arriving. Calling out to the elderly owner, Jaz chatted with the old school gentleman, Mr. Woods, for a few minutes.

No, she hadn’t found a nice man yet, yes she was still in school and her studies were going well.

How was his granddaughter recovering from her broken arm, had his youngest son and his wife had their baby yet?

Back and forth they questioned each other, exchanging information and warm smiles. She always loved being in his store. The exotic fragrances seemed to seep into her clothes after a visit and the alluring scents soothed her throughout the day.

Mr. Woods handed her the stiff little paper bag with her preferred blend, “Thank you Mr. Woods,” smiling and packing the tea into her backpack. “I’ll see you again in a few weeks.”

With a final wave, Jaz backed out the door and made for her last stop. Running down the steps to the underground train, and forcing herself through the turnstile after slipping a token into the tiny slot, she made it onto the subway just as the alert beeped out and the doors swished shut.

Now she needed a couple of hours of research at the library and she could return home. She hoped Sarah was settling in and getting comfortable. Maybe she could stop at the ice cream shop on the way home and get them a celebration treat. Listening to the “clank clank” of the tracks, the train car rocking as it speed through the underground system, Jasmine relaxed and leafed through her phone, making sure all the roommate ads were removed so she didn’t have to worry about any more applicants. Especially creepy ones.

Lucy Martin

Just breathe. The words resonated in her mind, forcing her body to do what came natural at any other given moment. She could hear her own breath pulling in through her slightly parted lips and exhaling. Within seconds, she was blinking, her eyes widened. “Wow,” was all she managed to say, at first. This man wanted to take her out. That rarely happened. In fact, that never happened. No make-up, hair pulled back in a pony tail Lucy never was asked out. Dating was something she had long ago put out of her mind. She firmly believed people were their own worst critics. No matter how harshly the world judged a person, they viewed themselves, their past transgressions as well, far worse. I’m nobody. The words were in mind as she looked at him, and was astounded her as much as him actually asking her out was the fact that he didn’t seem to agree with that.

“Ten. Tonight,” she stammered. Wanting to get a grip before he had second thoughts, she shook her head slightly. “I’m sorry. I get off at ten tonight. I work at A Little Slice down the street as well. Best pizza in town with the best prices. Takes a lot to afford my place.” She left out that she was in the assisted units of the building. Somehow she knew he would be able to figure that out with her working two jobs, and yet she hoped he could somehow remain in the dark about that truth. “I do have a couple of hours between shifts though. I get off from here at 2. If you’re interested, I could use some company on the walk there.” Lucy looked down at her hands, her fingers now clenched together tighter than before. No sense in driving when it’s such a beautiful city, and the air is so sweet and fragrant,” she teased. It took everything she had to sit still with all the nervous energy running through her body. Her voice reflected how she felt as well. She hoped he didn’t notice. The thought he had gave way to light blush across her cheeks. “So what do you say? Walk me to work?”

Charlie (Sky) Winchester
Tags: Cassie Gutierrez

The morning was ebbing on. Money was filling up in her cloth hat. She always tipped her violin to the patrons, flashing them her best smile. To perform was easy. The notes, the melodies, flowed through her mind even when her instrument wasn’t in her grasp. It was her took, her way of conveying to the world how she felt inside as well. Music speaks to people, it sings. When she was sad, her pain slid along the strings and took flight in the air. When she was happy, her tune was lighthearted, airy, and addictive. That was the idea of course. Draw people in with the sounds, something they may not hear otherwise, and it would guide them to give. Around this place, Gramercy, she had found people were more likely to give. Sometimes she would treat herself. Other times she would put her money away. When mother nature prevented her from performing, the money came in handy. Other times she would spend her money if for nothing else to feel normal. A Little Slice pizza place would offer customers the chance to donate a buy one slice of pizza for someone in need. Charlie was a regular there. Sometimes she just wanted to feel like any other customer and buy a slice, a drink, and sit inside. It never lasted long though. Someone would start to stare, and soon Charlie felt as though she were under a microscope, the poor, little homeless girl.

Today was a good day though. There was extra money in her hat and a kick in her step as she danced around performing. The crowds would draw in and thin out. AS it was, when the girl appeared and sat down the crowd had dissipated. Still the girl brought good fortune, leaving her a nice tip. Charlie bowed to her, giving her the respect she felt she deserved. That was her way of thanking her. When she posed her question, Charlie almost stopped playing. The girl fled, though Charlie wasn’t sure why. “Be yourself,” she called out to her after she stopped playing. “You be somebody else for everybody else, but yourself? Nah. You gotta be true to yourself. So it doesn’t matter what other people do for fun. Just stop, take a breath, and think about what makes you happy. The rest? Well. It comes.” She wasn’t sure if the girl heard everything or not. So with a smile she lifted Strings and began to play once more. She recognized so many of the people. Friends? Family? Neither. They were routine. Nothing more. Friends and family she once had. Leaving them behind was difficult, but to go back would be even harder.

Dylan Murphy

Dylan grinned at her reaction. She was obviously not the stuck up type, she was certainly pretty enough to be but the fact she wasnt all made up sort of told him she was down to earth, and he liked that, a lot. "I would love to walk you to work." He was actually impressed she had a place rather than living with her folks or roommates, with jobs like this he simply assumed she must be in one of the assisted units. But, he and most of his friends had grown up in assisted housing as the Navy wasn't exactly known for overpaying their enlisted personnel, even their Master Chiefs, there was no shame in it as far as he was concerned.

He smiled thoughtfully "So I will pick you up here at 2. Don't worry if shift change takes a few minutes or whatever, I am a patient guy" The pizza place wasn't that far , and she would probably want to go back to her place to change, which would be fine with him. No reason that getting to know a new person couldn't include a bit of behind closed doors fun, after all, but he would play it by ear. Still, he hoped she was the way he thought she would be , the kind of girl he craved. He had to admit, he liked the pony tail, he liked holding a girl's pony tail especially when he kissed them. So far she did seem his type, he would find out more, later.

"I have a little bit of work to do between now and then but don't worry I will be back here in a bit" He smiled confidently and could not help looking her up and down and then deep into her eyes, obviously liking what he saw.

Lucy Martin
Tagged Dylan Murphy

“Alright then,” she beamed, happy he was willing to do this. Her cheeks burned a bit brighter with his gaze. He wasn't trying to hide the fact he was taking in the sight of her in the slightest. Bold and brazen, his eyes swept over her body. She felt on display for him. It was strange to Lucy, in a sense, to have a man look at her that way. It made her feel odd, unlike anything she had ever felt before, and truth be told, she liked it.

“Shift change isn’t usually delayed. The girl that comes in after me is pretty quick about getting here. I do have to stop by my place and,” she paused, realizing he would have to see where she actually lived. Any pretense that perhaps he didn’t know that she lived in the assisted units would be gone. Her words remain halted as she glanced away for a moment. If he was the type of man that wouldn’t want to see her due to where she lived, then he wasn’t worth her time. “Freshen up,” she finished. “There’s something I should tell you though. I’m not like her or her or her,” she said, pointing towards some of the obviously wealthy customers. “I don’t live on the higher floors, where the units are huge and ornately decorated. My place is small, sparcely decorated, but it’s mine. I needed help getting it, but I work an honest day’s work to keep it.” She wanted to add that if had a problem with that, then she would understand, but Lucy held her tongue. “I live in the assisted living units. My jobs pay, but it’s not enough to afford a really nice place in this building. I want to be like her and her and her,” she gestured again, “and I’m willing to work to get there. Doesn’t leave much time for a social life or,” she began, taking a deep breath, “games. I’m not one to play games Mr. Murphy. I know what I want in life, and I work hard for it. Honestly I appreciate the same in a person. So I hope that’s okay.” She released the grip on her fingers, allowing her hands to rest easily on the table. There was something freeing in speaking her mind to him. Lucy rarely did so, holding back more often than not. Would he appreciate her honesty, bold and brazen as well?

Arthur Connington
Tag: Sarah Barkleys.

Dodging out the usual clientele of the wealthy and worried that did their shopping on the Green Grotto, Arthur moved through with a basket in his arm and the laptop bag hanging in the other. He was indeed belonging to the wealthy part of the population segment, but even if he also was worried, it wasn't about pesticides or transgenic food, but about his date plans for the night. Wait, was it even a date? They were going just for a few drinks, it wasn't a let me take you out for a dinner date plan, and yet... what was a date if not two people that were interested in each other going out together? But Arthur had trouble getting his age, or more correctly, Cassie's age out of his mind. He was fine being thirty eight, but getting out with a girl so young...

Of course, he knew that many of his colleagues and acquaintances were precisely chasing that, but the mere idea made Arthur feel tired and older, although maybe being with a younger girl would get him out of the slump. He shook his head, it was better if he didn't get any high hopes and just went without expectations. After all it would be more reasonable if he met someone his age, perhaps a divorced woman that was shopping healthy, asking her for advice with a recipe-

Before Arthur could start writing himself a supermarket tryst, his distracted mind didn't manage to notice the brunette bespectacled girl by the produce section eyeing out the apples, so he ended up stumbling upon her with his taller frame.

"Oh! I'm very sorry!" Arthur said, apologizing profusely. "Totally and completely my fault! I was completely distracted..." he said. Looking at the girl he had bumped into, Arthur noticed that it was no divorced woman of fiction, but yet another young girl. She was older than Cassie for sure, or so it seemed, but even if he had an eighteen year old daughter, Arthur just grouped her and all the twenty somethings women in a big "girl" labeled group, very out of sync middle aged man of him.

Tag: Arthur Connington

Mumbling while holding a green apple in one hand, and a red apple in the other and casting almost menacing gazes at them, as if to scare the two juicy apples and obtain Top Secret informations, Sarah wondered if to come in that place was a good idea "...why is this apple so pricey? Is it made of gold? And the flour... why so expensive? I might just place those two in their baskets and go away whistling, nobody would ever notice me..." she was turning away when suddently

<<Oofff>>

For a miraculous miracle, Sarah managed to not yelp in surprise and throw away the apples, instead held them tightly in her hands, probably for knowing their price...
<<N-nono, don't worry sir, it's nothing...>> when she lifted her eyes from the grocery products in her hands, she saw a rather good-looking man, clearly taller and broader than her, probably on his fifties, giving her the idea of being in front of a veteran... or an actor that played veteran soldier's roles, remaining a little surprised as she would have bet that such products would be an exclusive bothering of the younger, frilly generations <<...uhm, sir, may i ask you something? Is the first time i came shopping in this place... do you know if those products are actually... uhm... as they advertise?>> politely, she asked a customer if those products were actually how the shop advertised them, avoiding, at least for a moment, the dare to overpay apples that would have nothing more, nothing less than a cheap choice from any other grocery, suddently, she realized that she sounded more like a mystery shopper or an undercover poller in mission, with the realization of her dumb question underlined by a slight flush on her cheecks, she turned her gaze at the two apples in her hands <<Uh, it doesn't matter, sir. I'll sort it out. Someway...>>

"Cassie Gutierrez"
Tagged: Charlie, Bryn Galenus

Cassie heard the street performer as she moved away, but she had already knew what she would say before the answer came out. Of course, it was so simple. "Be yourself'.

Except , what if you don't want to be yourself and you are trying to be a new person and you just haven't had a chance to learn what you liked? That, it seemed would not be so easy.

She wasn't sure why she was stressing, really. I mean the guy was, what , like 50? She actually wasn't sure. Some things about him seemed much younger than that, but he had like absolutely "no game" as she had heard it said about others by some of her female co-workers. This wasn't a make or break date.

But what it was was an opportunity and she didn't want to blow it, or worse, screw up and reveal who she really was. For one thing, she liked being able to drink now. But more than that, there was something so liberating about not being known. No paparazzi hanging out at the places she and her so-called friends hung out. No manufactured drama.

She was going to head back upstairs to her old room to go cry, but then she spotted the ice cream place out of the corner of her eye. If there was one thing she DID like , it was ice cream. And so she headed over to Gramercy Creamery Cones on the plaza and wandered in. She was still wearing her day uniform from Bistro 121, but that could not be helped.

She looked up at the flavors on the board and then down at the cases of the frozen ambrosia. She smiled at the man behind the counter "I, um, is the Cookie Dough flavor good?. I have never had cookie dough, I mean the dough, or the ice cream." This was true, her governess had always insisted she not be given any as cookie dough would give one worms and cause a young women to bloat . She also realized, she coudl not remember the last time she had an actual cone. They were so untidy. It was always gelato, in a glass ramekin or silver dish. "It comes on cones, right?"

Dylan Murphy

Dylan smiled as she explained her living circumstances. It was not necessary, but she had a full head of steam up, trying to head her of now would lead to a wreck. Then he grinned "Trust me, I understand. I admire you for going out on your own even without the perfect job. Even back when I was a cop and probably made more than you do now, I would not have been brave enough to get a place here.

"The thing about this place is the location, more than the fancy stuff. I mean yes the fancy moldings and rails and fixtures are nice to have , the gas fireplace , the chandelier . The gilded elevator. Those are all nice. But the heart of Gramercy Park are the people and the place. You have put yourself right in the middle of it which is worth a lot more than some crown moldings. "

He reached out and touched her hand, laying his large hand over hers. "In fact I admire your guts and determination you might say. The unit I live in is payment for my work, but I haven't always had such success. Five years as a beat cop, 10 as a detective. There were some pretty lean years in there. So I know what you are doing isn't easy or for the faint of heart. But now is the time in your life to take chances, reach out, stretch for your dreams. "

Of course he also got in on the ground floor of internet security consolting and remote consulting , early enough that he was grandfathered when the PD established that it was moonlighting. And it also allowed him to build a rep and a client list for when he took the early retirement and went out on his own. But that only happened because he took a shot when he was younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom