Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

"Well, it was a bit of a larger town but not a very big city." She said. "Just one the was in Virginia..." She said not want to talk to much. All you had to do was pretend that things happened in the war and then perhaps, no one would ask too much. "It just got hit with a battle and... well, there are not very good memories in the East." She explained. "How about I make the eggs over easy..." She said to him as she cracked them open and let them cook for a few minutes for the two of them. Anyone could make breakfast. "It was a lot different than it is out west here... Mountains mostly."

---

She could feel the tears in her eyes as she nodded. "I... I told him that we couldn't anymore last night..." She started as she was trying not to cry but she was only seventeen years old and Susan was afraid. "I said that what would he do if I got pregnant and he just got real quiet... and well, then I was stupid..." She still felt like an idiot as she nodded a few times. "I'm sorry... I will leave if I have to..." She said softly, not that she knew where she would go. "I'm sorry...I made a mess of it..."

"I have to admit I haven't traveled much. Born and raised in this little town, haven't had much desire to go elsewhere. Haven't seen the mountains proper." Eric smiled as he watched her cook.

He desperately wanted to ask how long she'd been widowed.

God he wanted to kiss her but that definitely wouldn't be appropriate. Damn this courting ladies thing. The women at the saloon were much easier to approach, he could cut the bull crap and just go straight for what he wanted with them.

"No," Jesse said, panic clawing at his chest as he saw her tears welling in her eyes. He didn't want her to cry. He definitely didn't want her to cry.

"You don't have to leave. I won't tell, neither will Noah. You don't have to be afraid, you won't lose your job just... it's just best if you not continue with him. Even if he asks otherwise. Do you understand?" He knew he sounded gruff and he didn't want to. He didn't to scare her.

If he had been the first man that she had met then, they would have probably been kissing and doing more but Kate was feeling a little guilty for thinking that Eric and some of the other bachelors who had visited that day were also handsome. "You are missing out... I know there are mountains towards California from here but they are said to be a bit bigger than the ones in Virginia." She mentioned as she was cooking the eggs before she looked around for something to flip it with... There was a fork or a spoon and she said. "Oh, this might become scrambled eggs." She smiled as she tried but then failed to turn them. "Damn..." She said without thinking it was a curse word.

She did flip two with success and said, "You can have the good ones... and one bad one. I only want one egg." She said with a smile as she let the bacon cook a little more before plating their breakfast for supper.

---

She was sobbing now as she said, "Y-yes..." Susan said as she had one of her arms up and trying to wipe at her face. "I just don't know what I am going to do..." She was pretty sure that she was pregnant but she couldn't tell Jesse. She couldn't tell anyone. After all, she knew that Noah wouldn't want to be a father and so, the only choice was to leave?

"I will say no to Noah... I promise..." She said softly. "What if he is persistent?" She asked wondering if Noah was going to still flirt with her. She was thinking that he would not and that made her a little sad.

Eric cooked the beans like a pro... which was to say he didn't burn them at least. He didn't bother toasting the bread, just tearing it into pieces instead. He added the beans and bread to the plates she prepared before looking at the small table she had. He took one of the plates from her and carried it to the table.

"Once the newness wears off there won't be as much interest. Life will settle and you'll realize it's really quite dull around here. What happens then?" He asked curiously. "Do you stay or... do you leave?"

"If he's persistent, see me. I'll stop him," Jesse said. He frowned at her response. Was she in love with the boy? Would it be better to turn them into Ben? Ben would probably insist they marry but Jesse really didn't want to see that happen.

In a few years maybe she would forget Noah and be willing to -- he pushed that thought away quickly.

She was sweet, and young, and he'd been watching her awhile but any pursuit he made of her would come off wrong. He doubted anyone would believe he was truly courting her and he didn't want to have the type of relationship with her that Noah had.

"Are you all right?" He asked.

That was a good question that the Sheriff was asking her as she thought about it for a moment. "I don't know... I might move on or I might settle down and stay. I was looking for somewhere to settle." That was the truth... she had wanted to settle with Mark before they had broke up. She had been in love and wanted children and a life with him but here she was in 1867. That was what Eric reminded her of... he was a lot like Mark. Deviously handsome but also... someone who did not seem like he truly wanted to settle down. Perhaps, that was the reason that she wanted him but also why she did not want him.

"I know it's silly... I think things sometimes happen for a reason... and I think that's why I was brought to this town to start a new life." She mentioned as she finished cooking and then, they had a meal to eat together. Of course, she had a bunch of things in the pantry like plate and things such as that.

---

She shook her head, her voice getting a little quiet. "No..." Susan whispered. "I think that I have to go... I don't want to but..." Her hand went over her stomach. She had thought about telling Noah tonight but now... "I think I am..." She couldn't say the words. "And I don't want to force Noah because I know he doesn't love me or anything. He just wanted a bit of fun." She started crying again. "I ruined my life!" Susan was extremely upset and now, she was telling Jesse everything of her worries.

"Brought to this town, huh? That's an interesting way of looking at it?" Eric settled into a seat, legs spread. He removed his hat and set it on his knee, pausing to run a hand through his hair and chase away the 'hat head' lines. Of course one ruffle of hand didn't completely remove the band of red around his forehead.

"Do you say grace, usually?" He wasn't a believer himself but if she wanted to he would say it with her.

He was far too wise to voice his disbelief in a town like this, so he'd gotten quite good at 'faking it'.

Jesse acted instinctively, reaching out to lay his hand on her head. It was how he would have comforted one of his brothers, and about as safe a gesture as he could make.

"Hey..." He said softly, "It's going to be okay."

He eased closer to her, hand lightly petting at her hair. He felt like an idiot but he didn't think she'd want a hug from him and in that moment he thought maybe a hug was what she needed.

"YOu don't know for sure yet?" He asked, "Maybe you're not... I heard lots of pregnancies don't take. Remember the Harringtons? Five pregnancies and not even one baby. So even if you are, that doesn't mean anything yet."

It was technically the truth that she had been brought here and she did not know really why that had happened. "Uh... sometimes..." When her Mama was around but when it was just herself. Well, she didn't usually say it. "I can right now..." She said thinking it was best to pretend for the time as she bowed her head and said a quick prayer of thanks. Looking back up, she started to tuck into the meal. "What made you become Sheriff of this town?" She asked curiously as she cut into her eggs and had a bit of bread with that.

---

He did have a point but then, she could get pregnant and what if it did take. Then what was she going to do? Susan wiped at her eyes. "I hope so..." She whispered wondering if she was actually pregnant. She would be praying that there was no baby in her. "No, but I was sick a little this morning and no fever..." She said softly. "And my monthly hasn't..." She swallowed a little not wanting to talk about that sort of thing. All of the information that she did know was from sources here and there since her mother hadn't been alive during the years that she had grown up.

"Yes it does... it means that I will be sent again or the baby will be..." She looked down at the ground. "I hope that I'm not... " Susan whispered. "I should go to bed..."

"Seemed right," Eric shrugged, "I was the Deputy for awhile... when the Sheriff aged out, he asked me to take his place and so he trained me. He's still at my side, real good man. Do believe you met him earlier?"

He smiled, "I guess I've always been the sort to break up fights, and right wrongs and all that nonsense so when I was old enough I asked if I could become the Deputy and well.. now here I am."

"Hey," Jesse said, dropping his hand, "Look... if you are, Ben will make sure you're taken care of. Noah too. We won't leave you alone with this. And he will be upset, at first, but he'll take care of you. I promise you that."

Now, it did not sound as glamorous as it had in the old Western movies. She looked at her guest and nodded a few times. "Well, you are making your life about protecting the community. That's quite a noble cause." She said to him with a smile as she was cutting into her bacon. She thought that she had done a really good job at it. The food was delicious at least to her and she hoped it was for her guest.

"What is your favourite part about being the Sheriff now?" She asked thinking about the Deputy for a moment. He must have been a good mentor.

---

Sniffling a little, Susan looked up at Jesse with watery blue eyes. "Really?" Her voice was hoarse as she said, "I wish that it doesn't come to that..." There was somewhat of a calm that had wash over her a little as she nodded. "Please... Don't tell Noah that I might be pregnant until I know for sure." She whispered to Jesse. "I will turn him away if he comes back to my door." Susan promised Jesse. "Thank you..." She said feeling embarrassed. She didn't like that she had gotten so upset about this in front of Jesse. He was not upset with her and had been completely understanding.

Almost like an older brother.

"The girls," Eric grinned mischievously, "honestly I enjoy the badge. I walk in a room, tell people to settle down, they see the badge and they listen. It's a handy little piece of metal. Out here not much happens, you know, so mostly I break up bar brawls and intervene in petty feuds. Nothing exciting. No shoot outs or anything you may have read about in those silly penny mags."

He munched on his food, still grinning, "I'm half hoping all your suitors will start going at it, at least that will give me something to do."

Jesse nodded.

"Just don't do anything rash," He said softly, "We'll take care of you, no matter what. I swear it."

He backed away then, loathe to leave her alone while she was upset but knowing that he couldn't stay without potentially getting caught.

"Just let me know if you need anything."

/Damn Noah./

He headed back up to the house, cursing under his breath at his younger brother.

She rolled her eyes because she did not think for a second that she was going to cause some pet of fight between two men. "Oh... I doubt that my suitors will be fighting over me when I reject a few of their advances." She mentioned with a shrug of her shoulder wishing that Ben lived closer to town.

Oh no, she had only been away from him for a few hours and she was missing him. "I don't think I want to get married for awhile anyways... It would take away from being a school teacher." She mentioned with a smile. "And this town needs one."

---

Susan didn't know what she was going to do. She knew that she would have to continue working but how would they care for her if she was pregnant? Would Noah be forced to marry her? Oh, she loathed that idea. Well, she would have to wait some time before she knew that she was for sure with child.

She went to sleep that evening with a bit of a lighter heart but she still cried, worrying about her future.

"True, we've needed a teacher for a long while," Eric agreed with an easy nod. He had almost cleaned his plate, already.

"So they've warned you... to avoid the saloon? Right? It's not the right place for a lady like yourself, especially as you'll be our teacher," Eric wasn't sure if her 'tour guides' for the day would have mentioned anything. He knew most were hesitant to even talk about it, let alone warn people to stay away from it.

She nodded to the Sheriff. "Oh certainly... They did." Kate did not know what the fussy was about the saloon but the way people made it out to be, it was a den of deviant behavior. "The way they spoke of it, as if it were some sort of Hellfire club." She laughed. "Women, alcohol and debauchery." Kate did have a liberal stand on most issues. "No, I will not be going there. Mostly because of my position in this town but it is a bit silly to think that the world is going to hell in a hand basket because of one saloon."

She continued to eat as she said, "Why are you so concerned with my suitors?" She asked him. "Are you hoping to be one, Sheriff?"

"To be one?" Eric repeated, "I /am/ one."

But the way he laughed it off made it seem like a joke, and in a way it was. He wasn't the least bit interested in pursuing a wife and a woman like her wouldn't be looking for the sort of companionship he was seeking.

"But in all seriousness, I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. So if anyone bothers you, just let me know. I'll chase them off and keep the peace. That is, after all, my job."

He was laughing about it but Kate was thinking to herself that he wished. He reminded her too much of her ex fiancée to even think about it. "I appreciate that offer and if I do have any trouble beating them off with a stick then I will come to you." She mentioned.

"However, I am quite good at telling a guy that I am not interested." That was a bit of a lie. "After all, I didn't come out here to get married." She knew some women did but she was not want of them.

Oh, that was weird. She felt like for a moment that her grip on reality was changed. She was from the future... She was not from this time. "I ought to finish putting stuff away and set up the house before the sun goes down." She said. "Thank you for having dinner with me." Kate told the Sheriff.

Eric stood, flipping his hat back onto his head, "Tomorrow, then, Ms. Williams."

He smiled and headed for the door but just as he grasped the handle, "You know... it's a funny thing."

He turned back, looking at her, that smile still in place, "When we heard a teacher was coming, they gave us her name. Seems to me the name was Matthews, not Williams."

She smiled because she knew exactly how to play that. "Well, that is my maiden name..." She said simply with a shrug. "I was married to Mark Williams." She explained as she went on. "And when he passed away. Some of the records were in my maiden name..." It was a simple mistake and that was all that she could go with. Going over to the door with the Sheriff, she was going to see him off and then lock the door for the evening. It was a funny thing... because she wanted to know what had happened to Ms. Kate Matthews as well.

Was she dead? What if there was news from her or if she did arrive... then, how would she explain herself. Well, there was not much to be done at the time. For now, she would just have to live day by day.

Eric was back at her door the very next morning. Not as early as the Wilson's rose, but not too long after dawn. "Ready for a ride?" He asked with his usual grin.

With time she'd learn his smiles were nuanced. Some were smiles of annoyance, curiosity, amusement, kindness... he spoke with smiles the way some people spoke with frowns.

Behind him were two mares, his own and hers. He'd saddled the beast up and brought it out for her, presuming they were still on for their 'date'.

Two days after leaving Ms. Williams in town Ben couldn't sleep properly, couldn't eat properly, his every waking thought was of her and many of his non-waking thoughts were as well. He embarrassed himself with the dreams. He didn't know he was capable of such thoughts.

He wanted to see her, but he knew going too soon would raise too many questions and he wasn't ready for his brothers to know. He still hadn't decided if he was courting her, he just knew he wanted to see her.

Was this it? The thing his mother had felt that let her know his father had been the one? He never really considered that he'd experience this, and he was afraid... both that it was and that it wasn't.

She had been awake and having a bit of toast with butter for breakfast. She kind of wished there was peanut butter for the toast. She was dressed and washed up but she had not known then the Sheriff would be picking her up for their little right. Certainly, she had not expected this early. "Oh..." She said as she peaked her head out the school house door as she said. "Good Morning... I did not know you would be here to early... uh, let me just get my bonnet and I will be on my way. She was wearing an outfit that would be appropriate for riding that day. "I have a bit of toast and butter if you want any?" She offered as she smiled as she went back inside, expecting him to follow if he wanted to. Although, it did not take her long before she had a a bonnet to wear that would protect her face from the sun... it's not like sunscreen was a thing.

Returning, she gave a quick smile as if to say that she was ready. "Should I bring anything with me, Sheriff?" She asked wondering how long the 'date' was going to be.

"I packed us a lunch. All you'll really need is you," Eric said.

The ride itself usually took longer but he figured he'd just show her the ranches closest to town, stop for lunch, show her a few more locations or note and bring her back. Ultimately it would be good for her to know the area but mostly he just wanted to get to know her, to feel her out and figure where she stood.

"Do you have any questions for me?" He asked as he headed back to his mare.

She smirked a little and said, "Mmmm... Are you trying impress me?" Kate was teasing as she started to her mare. "If you are then you might be successful." She mentioned to him as she moved her mare a little to the steps so that she could get onto her horse a little easier.

She thought about asking about what it was like growing up with Ben and the other Wilson brothers... Perhaps, she might get some information about Jesse and how he came to the Yearning Steer and was their brother. That was a bit curious but she would leave some of those questions for later.

"How long does it take you to do your entire route?" Kate asked as she got herself on the mare and adjusted herself so that she was comfort and so was the horse.

"Depends who I meet on the way," Eric said and it was the truth. "Generally a good part of the day. Honestly I know I'm not going to find this little thief but it comforts everyone to see me around."

He mounted and waited for her to get settled before guiding her out of town.

"Is that your only question?" He asked, "You're not wondering why the Pastor's wife and the Mayor's wife are at odds? Or why there are so dang many bachelors around?"

"Well, I assume that it is going to be a few hours of going on a ride... So I best keep my juicy questions for when we are out of the town?" She said to him with a little smile. "Plus, Luke said that the Pastor's wife knows that the Mayor's wife does not believe in God and that's why they are at odds... As for the many bachelors. Not many of the ranches and farms need women to work but they certainly need men to work... And so, that's why there is a popular Saloon so the men can have a bit of fun since they don't have a wife or children?"

It was a case of putting two and two together. "You can correct me if I am wrong, Sheriff?" She offered to him with a grin.

"Do you have any questions for me?" She asked.

Eric laughed, "Bit of fun? Well, that is a different way of looking at it."

She was an odd one... and perhaps more willing to have a bit of fun herself than he'd originally thought. "No, you are quite correct. I had presumed your tour wouldn't include such... intricacies but good, we can skip all that then."

He tipped his hat to a group of women on the boardwalk before returning his attention to Kate.

"I must admit I am curious about you but it's not that I have any specific questions. Let's just talk, hm? I'm sure my curiosity will be handled with simple conversation."

It was lucky that they had the afternoon to have this conversation. "Well, I certainly don't know everyone or everything... So I will need someone to fill me in on what you may think that I need to be in the know." She mentioned to him as she gave her mare a little kick to urge her forward.

Now, she had thought about Ben in the last few days and although, she was not going to the Yearning Steer. Well, a part of her hoped that maybe... Just maybe that she would see him that day. She wanted to see him smile and that twinkle in his eye that said he was 'smizing'. Smiling with his eyes...

After a few moments with their horses, she said. "You can ask almost anything you want." Kate mentioned thinking that she had a lot of questions about the town. Well, and some about the Wilson brothers... Although two of the brothers were open books... She was curious about Ben and of course about Jesse.

---

It had been a rough morning for Susan as she was over a bucket in the kitchen and liking at the smell of cooking breakfast. She didn't know why her stomach was turning but she has a feeling since she had not gotten her monthly in a week now. She was scared as Mary was patting her back. "There, there..." The woman said, she was older than Susan but unmarried. "Let it all out."

Susan was crying as she finished, dry heaving over the bucket and then panting. It was the worse feeling in the world.

Back
Top Bottom