Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Soldier and the Spy (AnjelRocker and I)

"Thank you," he said bowing as the father came down to shake hands, a nice firm hand that helped calm the fluttering of his heart. Swallowing hard as he saw her step up to the hall, resplendent in her gown and a flush to her cheeks. "It's only Lieutenant though," he blushed slightly, "I do hope to be promoted one day but for now, outside of uniform, Mr. Gage will do, or Alexander if you prefer." That they would think he had such high rank made him slightly embarrassed, though his younger sister had called him General when first seeing his uniform.

"Miss Caldwell," he said formally and bowed slightly hearing more giggling from above. "Eleanor," he said softly as he took her hand and kissed the soft back of her hand in greeting. Seeing the small bit of flour tucked aside her nails, smiled at the sight. Eleanor did not seem to him to be the domestic type. Alexander was surprised and slightly in awe at the secrets that she obviously held in being not only social and graceful but domestic as well, he felt dutifully impressed. Holding her soft, warm hand longer than he should have, his eyes entranced as he stood before her.

"Come, come," her father moved them towards the parlor, the basket hanging from Alexander's arm.

"I am sorry for coming unannounced," he apologized as they entered the parlor. The room was straight and orderly a trifle more empty than normal, he suspected the rioters had something to do with that. Bright and clean the room showed a comfortable, well off family with the slightly ornate furnishings and settee in the center of the room. "I hope you will forgive my boldness is coming, unfortunately my schedule is not entirely my own. I brought something for you sir." Taking the brandy from the basket handed it to Mr Caldwell with a slight flourish. "Slightly hard to come by lately I know, I hope you won't think it too extravagant."

With the Siege of Boston occurring and trade between England and the Colonies trickling down for the past few years many things were in short supply, his father still had good contacts and was able to obtain many things. Although Alexander had learned early on to not always ask questions, illicit shipping happened, and had been happening for years. It was how traders made money. For once he was glad to be able to use those contacts for his own use, seeing the expression on Eleanor's father's face made it worthwhile.

As Eleanor caught his attention, losing himself in thoughts of her from the dance. A brief wisp of warmth crossed his lips in memory of the night he dug into the basket and held out the perfume for her, "I brought this for you." Unsure if he should say more to her or not, "I do have something for your mother and sisters as well," he added almost as an excuse as he was directed to sit down. Placing the empty basket on the table before him.

She did not really mind that he was unannounced, she knew that her mother was going to say something about it. “You do not have to worry about being unannounced… I am quite happy that you are here.” She said as her father entered the room and Alexander spoke to him with the gift of a bottle of brandy. His face lit up as he said, “Wow… is this?” He paused. “A bottle of my favourite kind of brandy. I don’t think I have had it in years.” He mentioned to Alexander. “Thank you for this generous gift.” He saw this courting as something good for the family if his daughter was with an American soldier because they were in an area where having a British tie in was dangerous as they had seen in the past.

“I shall go get your mother and sisters…” That gave the two of them a few moments alone as he presented Eleanor with her own gift. Her eyes went wide with surprise because she did not know how he had gotten something so rare. “Alexander… you…” She had the small glass bottle in her hands, her dress still having a few spots of flour from kneading the dough earlier.

“This is the nicest gift that I have ever received.” She said honestly to him, looking at the bottle before looking up at him. “Thank you…” Her voice a whisper as he sat beside her and put the basket on the table. “I am sure that my mother and sisters will be quite pleased with their gifts as well.” She mentioned to him with a smile as she reached out and put her hand on top of his. It was then that she heard her mother and sisters coming down the stairs so they could be part of the visit.

She pulled her hand away but looked at him with a grin so that he knew that she was very thankful for this pleasant surprise of a visit.

As she put her hand on his he felt as if they were the only two in the room, nothing else existed but the moment of that touch. As she laid her hand on his he was brought back to the dance, when they had held onto each other and kissed. Again that memory of warmth passed over his lips. The look on her face as she took the gift made him happy that he could please her so. The image of her father so pleased with the brandy was nothing next to her sitting next to him, the promise of the future hanging between them as she looked upon him with wide eyes.

"I am glad you like it so," he whispered back grinning as he enjoyed the contact between them.

When the others came back in, her hands back in her lap, the look of disdain on her mother's face faded slightly as he stood up. Bowing and making a formal introduction, "I am most pleased to meet you Mrs Caldwell," he bowed deeply as he picked up the basket, "this is for you," he paused a moment, "I was not sure if you practiced needlework as my mother does, but I hope you can make use of it." Placing the basket in front of Mrs Caldwell so that she could look at the contents on her won he turned to the sisters. Handing them the small bag of candy to her sisters as they milled about, with introductions interspersed with giggles and excitement over the flavors of sugar.

Trying to remember their names, at least Alexander was good at matching names to faces, kept standing until Mr and Mrs Caldwell sat down. Then sat respectfully next to Eleanor, all eyes on him, the sweat beading on his neck with so many eyes on him.

She felt a strange feeling overcoming her at that moment. Good Lord, was she having a growing affection for this Rebel? It was against everything that she was about as she thought about putting on a good show. Well, she did genuinely like this man but his ideals were a little off and that was the only thing that she saw that was a problem for them to ever have a hope of a future. Never the less, she needed to go on with this charade. Her family was looking pleased with the array of gifts that the young man had brought them. Most of it being things that you could only get from smugglers and well, they were not well off anymore for such luxury that they had once enjoyed.

Her mother who seemed to turn on a dime about her opinion of the young man smiled. "Such a kind young man to be visiting with such lavish gifts." She said as she was looking at the basket of fabrics and things for her needlework. She looked mighty pleased with this new turn of events. Her two giggling sisters getting their bag of candy as Betsy gasped. "You did not have to do that, Lieutenant... Thank you so much!" She exclaimed as Fannie nodded. "Yes, thank you." Well, Eleanor could not help herself but smile at her sister's reactions as she said. "How lucky we all are with the Lieutenant's generosity." She mentioned glancing at Alexander.

"What brings you to our humble home this fine day and with such an array of fine gifts." Mr. Cauldwell said as everyone was settled in the parlour and all eyes were on him. "Well, I don't suppose it is to be in our company." He said with a smile as he looked to his daughter, Eleanor. Tea had been called for and one of the few servants still there came out with a tray with tea in it. The last of their good tea that they had kept for special occasions. There was not much for the tea except for a bit of milk since sugar was a bit pricey as well, what with the war. Mr. Cauldwell would enjoy the visit but he knew that he would give some time between his daughter and this suitor so there would be a bit of courting without the close eyes of parents. Well, they would be in the other room and within ear shot.

Looking around the room saw the remains of what a fine house it had been, the wainscotting still in place but scarred from the riot. Like the colonies once an affluent house, now torn apart by those who wished something different. Who wished freedom. Alexander also wanted to help shake off their old masters, the Parliament and the King, and live for themselves. As he looked upon Eleanor, he wanted to live for her. A new life for the colonies, meant to him, a new life with her.

"Thank you for the tea," taking his cup gratefully, avoiding much of the sugar and milk, knowing how precious the milk and sugar was took only enough to be polite. Thinking he should bring some of those next time he came. Stirring the milk into the dark tea, watching the swirl for a moment to calm his heart. "I will need to move camp soon, away from Cambridge for a few days, and I, wanted to be come and see you before I left."

Swallowing hard, knew he was walking down a path that he had not tread before, but so many had before him. "I wished to be sure you were alright," looking up at her, the dark eyes piercing into him. So vibrant, alive. Keeping his voice slightly hushed so as to not embarrass them, or her parents, "I was not able to forget our dance the other night. I do hope we will have other opportunities," sipping his tea. Letting the blush creep up his neck as he looked upon her earnestly. "Other opportunities to dance, that is," adding afterwards, reaching out and touching the back of her hand. Saying all he wanted to speak, and more, in that one gesture.

She felt a shiver up her spine in that moment as she was sitting there in her parents parlour with the two of them and her younger sisters. And naturally, with Alexander Gage. The world was so chaotic but she could not think of that as her eyes were on him. She noticed the blush and it made her blush a little too as he had his hand gently on hers. "I also hope for another opportunity to dance with you." She said as she had her tea cup down and she noticed that her sisters were giving her a knowing smile. Her parents on the other hand had some idea that this young man was hoping to court their daughter.

She knew her mother's position but then, her mother could be easily swayed. As for her father, he was looking into the protection of his family. All of them knew that had been a bit of a close call with the angry mob and if they could align themselves with this officer of the Rebels. Of course, there was the case of if the British won and if that happened. They would also be free of sin. Her parents were talking with Betsy and Fannie as she was watching him. "I admit that I have missed your presence." She whispered to him as she said. "Shall we go for a turn in our little garden. It is not much but the spring flowers are starting to bloom a little." She said as she rose from the settee waiting on him because, she wanted to be alone with him but... she knew that her parents would be watching from the window.

After all, a young woman on her own could be quite the scandal in the company of a gentleman. Then, she was not quite entirely proper since they had already kissed before in the garden at the ball. "Eleanor, let the man finish his tea before you usher him into the garden." Fannie snickered as Betsy giggled and she slowly sank down on the settee. She supposed that she ought to finish her tea as well. "You said only for a few days that you will be gone. Will you be quite alright?" She asked him in a lower voice. "I ought to give you something to remember me... I suppose other ladies do that." She said with a smile.

Alexander blushed, realizing he had focused on Eleanor so much he had forgotten the others in the room. Much to the delight of her two younger sisters. Used to the teasing from his own sister he picked up his tea cup and taking a sip before flashing the two young girls a smile of embarrassment. Turning to Eleanor, "we hope only a few days. There is some concern that the city will be running out of supplies soon, especially with the additional troops. We are reinforcing the troops by Dorchester, though we don't have enough to place forces on all the islands in the harbor." Launching into his thoughts on the camps and the movements, as if it was commonly known to all, speaking frankly about the skill of the troops and the scattered desertions.

It didn't occur to Alexander that they might have family in the British forces in the city, Loyalists went to stay in Boston. In Cambridge he would expect the family to be supporters of the Colonials. Though from the rioters before, and their reticence to say much about Boston he suspected, like his mother and father, they were neutral. Father was a merchant, he kept out of politics as much as he could to keep trade flowing, it was his alliances and neutrality that allowed him to prosper, though Alexander knew at some point they would all need to choose a side. He had chosen his.

As he sat and beamed at Eleanor, sipping his tea quickly in order to have some promised time alone with her. "I would be most pleased to have some remembrance of you, Miss Caldwell," trying to sound more formal near her parents. Trying to keep a good impression with them. "Anything small would be fine," he knew much of what they had was lost, but did not want to pry into what might have been lost of her lady-like things. That brought more of a blush to his cheeks as he thought of her underthings. Catching his throat as he finished his tea, "a handkerchief I have often seen others hold as keepsakes. I would not want to put you to any trouble," his eyes looked at the family as he talked by they rested on, and always came back to Eleanor.

Of course, they did not speak about how both brothers were a part of the British Navy with one on a ship in the Boston Harbour and another in India. Naturally, they could not when so many of their neighbours were rebels for this cause. Her father was neutral and her sisters were almost indifferent. Her mother leaning for the Loyalist side as was her oldest daughter. Alas, they could not reveal their true intent in their hopes for the future.

She noted the blush that was on his features as she smiled and said, "I think I can spare a handkerchief of mine fore you, Lieutenant." She said as she lifted her cup of tea so that she could drink a little more of the liquid so that the two of them could go to the garden and converse with a little more privacy then the listening ears of her parents. "I will go and get one of my handkerchiefs for you." She mentioned as she put down the finished cup of tea.

Taking a moment, she brushed off her dress and stood. "I will return." She mentioned leaving him to converse with her parents and sisters as she went up the stairs to get a handkerchief. She was going to get one with her initials on it... as well as a dab of her best perfume for him to remember her by.

As for her sisters, they were looking at the officer. "Lieutenant, you do seem to be great friends with Ellie." Fannie said with a grin as Betsy said, "Yes... one might say that you are a little over the moon for our dearest sister." Their mother clapped at this, "Girls, please remember your manners... you are going to frighten the Lieutenant away for the rest of his life." She said as her husband was chuckling a little. "Aw, daughters..." He muttered some as Eleanor returned with the handkerchief.

"Shall we go to the garden?"

As Eleanor left in a rustle of skirts the two younger girls came forward with eager faces, as they mentioned Eleanor the blush crept up his neck. Unable to find a proper response Alexander cleared his throat, "the moon is a long way away." His voice nervous as he joked with them, they reminded him of his sister, "but yes, I do hope to be friends with your sister," he leaned down to look at them lowering his voice slightly, "if you'll let me."

Adding a smile to them, looked up to Mr and Mrs Caldwell, a slight shrug of shoulders in apology, "I have a younger sister and cousins, they are quite the same." His eyes gestured towards the two girls, fixing his attention on Eleanor's parent tightened and adjusted his clothes, "I do wish you to know my intentions are honorable. As we have a moment," sitting up straighter as he faced them felt as if the interview had begun long before. "I do come from a family that has been here since after the Bay was founded, we've been merchants true, but successful and for a long time. I would like to allow you to meet my family when time allows, so you can see the truth of my words."

Eleanor returned to fill the doorway in skirt and presence, his eyes and attention returned to her. The smile returning to his heart as he laid eyes on her again, the giggles of the two girls brought him back to attention. Putting a finger to his lips then raising a hand up and down in an arc, like something jumping high and coming back enjoyed the titter of the two young girls. It reminded him of home, of family. Turning to bow to Mr and Mrs Caldwell, Mr Caldwell's eyes round with amusement as he laughed slightly, stilled by Mrs Caldwell's hand on her shoulder.

Stepping out to the hall lowered a leg to Eleanor and offering his arm, "shall we?"

Mr. Cauldwell had a twinkle in his eyes as he said, "I would like to meet your family in the future. Ah, perhaps, we can invite them to dinner." He supposed as Mrs. Cauldwell looked at him with a raised eyebrow because the family was not quite in the position to be having dinner guests. "Yes, I suppose it would be nice to have your family over to meet." She said as her younger daughter were giggles. It was at that moment that Eleanor was back into the room with a smile on her pretty face. "I do hope that Fannie and Betsy were not teasing you so." She mentioned

She did not know what the exchange of words was between her parents, sister and the Lieutenant but she did hope that they did not tease him so much as she was looking at him with a smile when she returned to the room. "Sounds splendid." She said as she took his arm and took a quick glance at her parents and sisters. Well, they did not seem to be upset by his presence but she would not truly know until after he left for the day.

Leaving, they went out towards the back door and into the garden. It was now mostly used for vegetables and not for flowers as they had once housed. "My parents were not too hard on you, Alexander." She said softly as she walked out the back step, he went first and she took his hand as he helped her down. Not entirely necessary but very gentlemanly as she felt a strange swelling in her chest. Her heart was reacting to this man. "Thank you." She said, "The Garden is not really got flowers anymore... which is a pity." She mentioned to him taking his arm again to walk with him.

Looking around it was a kitchen garden, another victim of the ravages of the mob though. The plants were beginning to flower and grow, though there was only one flower Alexander was interested in. Her hand in his brought back some of the thoughts and excitement from the dance, close to Eleanor and alone with her now his heart began beating hard again. As if time itself slowed and it was only them again, everything else was only in the background.

"Any garden with you is like an Eden," as he looked into her dark eyes, towering over Eleanor as their arms linked and they slowly walked around he small space. Houses and scattered trees sheltered them, the small song of birds in the trees and eaves filled the air around them with the smells of kitchen fires. All that was in his eyes, was her. "I am new to this, and I do not want to cause you a scandal," the words rushed out of him, the nervousness that ached in his heart felt at ease around her. The heavy touch of her arm on his was like a weight that clung to him, kept him grounded and in this moment, "I just could not stay away. My thoughts have only been of you."

Looking down into her eyes, a hand came up and stroked her cheek. The softness of the edge of her cheek was brought in sharp relief, his senses sharpening for a moment. A cough brought him back as he realized what he was doing, a slight titter came from above, where young, earnest faces looked down on them from the window. Disappearing in a giggle. An apologetic smile as he looked back to her, "sorry, it seems your sisters are as perceptive as mine can be. They are good girls, a trifle energetic," placing his hand over hers as they walked.

"I do thank you for the favor, I will keep it with me proudly," the smile she gave him, like a sun he could bask in. That would be a stronger favor, and one he hoped to see more of. "Should we give your sisters something to talk about or do you think they have had enough?" He asked slightly wickedly, his heart pounding in his ears as he felt the heat of his blood beat through him, hoping she would say yes and no in the same moment.

There was a leap of excitement in her heart when he said something about giving her sisters' something to talk about. She was embarrassed but then she wanted to be spontaneous as well. "That's a rather bold thing to ask..." Her lip curled into a smirk as she was looking up at him for a moment. She had liked when his hand had stroked her cheek and when their lips had met before. It had been warm and gentle and... she sighed as she said. "I admit that I would like to kiss you again, Alexander." She whispered softly as she looked up to see if her sisters were watching. "I do not think that they will utter a word to my parents." She mentioned to him as she squeezed his hand and stopped in the little garden behind a tree so that they were partly hidden under the shade of the tree.

Leaning up onto her toes, she placed a gentle kiss on his lips hoping that he would gather her up in his arms and kiss her back since her kiss was giving him permission to kiss her back. She supposed that there could be a bit of a scandal but only if they did more than kiss. Right? Kissing was harmless, it's not like one could be impregnated by a kiss.

As her lips touched his, watching Eleanor lean into him, it was as if he had his permission. Embracing her, pulled Eleanor close, her dress rustling slightly under his touch as he pulled her to him. Pressing his lips to hers, skin touching skin, the feel of her soft lips against stirred his passion, giving Alexander wicked thoughts about how far to go. Eleanor's breath was warm against his cheek as they came closer, the garden melting away around him as he was aware of her, only her. For a long moment they stood clasped together, staying within the moment his heart beat slow while they touched, Alexander held her close his own hot breath crossing her cheek.

Slowly he pulled back, looking down into her dark eyes, the rounded cheeks staring up at him, his cheeks flushed. A smile growing on his face as he felt her soft body within his arms, "Fortuna audaces iuvat," he recited as he took his breath. Pulling her softly into him again for another kiss, this time aware of how her body pressed into him. His arms resting on her back and shoulder, fingertips touching the soft skin around her neck and shoulder. The contact igniting him, the kiss pulling her within, her desire a rush of wind that fanned the flames of his desire, wanting more.

Breaking the second kiss he did not let her go, looking down at her, "Fortune truly does favor the bold. I have had little use for Latin since college, it is surprising how it returns at opportune moments." Raising a hand to caress her cheek, registering a slight sound from above but paying it little mind. The wide, lush lips he committed to memory. As well as the face that looked up at him, one that he would remember always. "I am most happy that we have a mutual desire for kissing, I would have been most distressed if it was only me," feeling more confident about his feelings for her Alexander felt lost. Lost with her, but not alone.

She dearly hoped that her younger sisters did not tell her mother on her if they saw the kiss. It was a bit scandalous to kiss someone that you were not engaged to but there was a part of her that simply did not care. His arms went around her form, and Alex was pulling her close. Lord, he was a nice young man and yet, here he was kissing her like this in these few moments of absolute bliss. Well, that was her opinion of the situation. No, she was getting too deep because she was suppose to get information for the sake of the cause and yet... her silly little heart was getting in the way.

No, it was not. She could not fool herself into thinking that she felt more than she did. She looked a little confused with the words that he spoke to her as she was looking up at him after their kissing. The spell had yet to leave her as she blinked a few times, dumbfounded. "Excuse me?" She said softly before he kissed her again and she was a little surprise but she melted into the kiss. Oh god lord, she was feeling an unfamiliar emotion with him as she was pulled to him. Their bodies closing a gap between them, and their lips slowly moving against each other and she knew.

Eleanor was falling for a Patriot. Britain forgive her.

She had a vunerable look on her pretty face as she was looking up into his eyes. "I honestly did not know that you were speaking Latin." She had some French and German but no Latin since it had little use but it was almost Romantic in a way as she smiled up at him. "That was certainly... nice, Alex." She whispered as his arms and hands had yet to leave her. Yes, this was truly a moment that she would not forget because she had a flood of mixed emotions. "I was a bit bold... I hope you do not look at me with distain for my bold behaviour." She mentioned truthfully.

Alexander smiled at her lovingly, "I do think I could ever look upon you with disdain."

His heart already won over to her, the girls behind forgotten. Holding her in his arms was all he wanted, all he needed. Since signing up with the Continental Army he had noticed himself becoming more aware of the small things in life, those moments that held more meaning within them than an entire day. The older officers had mentioned this, that presence of death around them made life more precious and while he knew of it they told him he would never feel it until his first battle. This moment was one such time. With Eleanor in his arms Alexander felt he could accomplish anything.

In this place, looking in her eyes, found his moment. He slowly felt his own connection with God. Close to what he considered heaven, with an angel in his arms, Alexander understood those who claimed to find God everywhere. In such a pure love as erupted within his breast, there could be nothing but a Holy Spirit between them. That initial attraction between them had fueled him, brought him to her and here, right now in this moment. Feeling it was his destiny that they be together, Alexander was not about to fight his fate.

Taking her hand in his, ran his thumb across the back of her hand. Feeling the soft skin and the knuckles under his hand, the sensual feeling of Eleanor's bones and skin sent a shiver of pleasure across his neck. The hairs on his neck rose and feel as his thumb crossed each fine bone to rest between, then on to the next. Lost in the feeling and shape of her hands, within his own they looked more delicate, and precious. Something he wanted to protect, to keep her in the way her hands showed she was accustomed. Alexander wanted to care for her, keep her close, if only he had not had the urge to sign up and fight for his freedom and rights.

Stepping back slightly as he took her arm in his again, walking together in the garden, linked with her arm. "I do apologize for my boldness, I have never had my heart stolen from me before and I am rather at a loss on what to do to be honest." Smiling a bit bashfully felt vulnerable in front of her, but also protective, and he wanted her to know it. "You have my heart Eleanor, and I could never look at you in any way that would betray that. I would make plans with you, if I could, but with the situation the way it is I am torn. I want to be here for you, but I also want to fight for you. So we could be together, in a country that is free."

She was in a bit of a strange set of mind because she had wanted to capture his heart for her own gain but she also had not expected that her heart would be stolen as well. She had been quite good at playing with men based on her whims. Well, it was not that she was playing with them like puppets but simply that she was not interested in them and they were interested in her. Like, Mr. Dooley... he had been quite smitten with her but she had not returned the affection. And he had been upset with her... he had lashed out and with luck, she had been at home and so she had left him to his own devices... well, asking for two of their servants to escort him out.

However, she truly liked Alexander. She felt the heart growing fonder as she looked up at him. "I do not fault you for your boldness, Alex." She whispered. "I suppose it is because we are living in quite a dangerous time and... well, my affections for you have been growing as yours has for me." She explained feeling a little embarrassed to admit this.

Then, he said those words... 'In a country that is free...' She had to swallow what she wanted to do. Laugh really because there would be no freedom. A country could not run without taxes... yes, they did deserve representation but then, they would get it... the idea of them splitting with Britain was ridiculous. Why didn't they just say that they wanted to become part of France too? She swallowed her pride. "Honestly, I would prefer if you did not fight... I know you are fighting for freedom but it just seems like giving your life for this is a bit much." She said thinking that he might get upset with her but then, Eleanor had never been one to bite her tongue.

"I only think of a future with you and it simply cannot exist if you pass on from his world." She gripped his hands because she felt this truthfully as she felt a few tears in her eyes as she pulled one of her hands away to wipe at it. "Forgive me... I ought not to become emotional..." She said softly.

Alexander smiled at her as she spoke, some of her words sounded like his mother who could think of herself as only British, even though mother and father had been born here and neither had ever seen London or England. Those places were like dreams that existed across the water, their own Avalon's with a distant king that might or might not come to their shores. Though George was no Arthur, of that he was sure.

Alexander did a mental accounting of his clothing, not one to carry a kerchief, other than the one Eleanor had given him. Pulling it forth he carefully took a corner of it and wiped a tear into the cloth, watching the water slowly absorb into the cloth, the dark spot of tear a more precious memento than the kerchief itself. Something about the tear made him want to fight for her, protect her. Taking her hand in his and holding it close, "you're already in my heart. While I will treasure this," holding up the kerchief so that she could see the dark spot of tear, "this tear will be more precious. It comes from the heart, and this I will use to guide myself back to you, always."

Looking down to her dark eyes, the ring of lashes highlighting the whites around her eyes. The expression of longing in them was echoed in his own look. Eleanor was a chance meeting, but in that chance something had grown. His thoughts always returned to her, he had never been so consumed with thoughts of another. It was frightful, scary, and thrilling all at the same time. To feel so consumed with another, to only feel complete when holding the hand of another or bask in their presence. As they stood in the garden close together, her hands in his, he only wanted to pull her into his arms and kiss her. To bask again in the warmth of those lips on his, her body close to his. A deep breath took in her scent, filling his thoughts with visions of Eleanor, his heart with desire.

"I would prefer to stay with you, by your side, forever," he admitted to her. Dropping his lips to kiss the back of her hand. The soft skin under his lips not quite the same as her delectable mouth, but to have her next to him made his heart skip a beat. The scents of domesticity emanated, she was working to restore her house he knew and he did not want her to have to do it, but times being what they were he had little choice. Though he knew of one way to help, it would rush things with her, the impatience of youth and first love did not care about time.

"I do wish I did not have to fight as well," he sighed as the contradictions built within him. "Before you came into my life I thought that it was best to fight for something, to give myself up for something greater than myself." The passions that enflamed him for the cause of liberty grew in him, suffusing the thoughts of Eleanor for a moment, but a look in her eyes and his passion swirled and like a river current in a rain grew and changed. "I have committed myself to this cause and wish to see it though, I would feel less of a man if I did not. I also wish to commit myself to you," the plaintive yearning in his heart echoed in his words, "I do not wish to be separated from you, or cause you grief, for that I could never forgive myself."

Pulling her hand up to his cheek held it there, his cheek resting against her hand, the warmth of it against his skin. "Eleanor I do not wish to be parted from you, do you think," taking a breath as his throat choked with the words that were to come. They would change the course of his life, a few simple words that would change everything between the two of them. "Eleanor, could we introduce our families? I would like to have more, be more, for you. There is a question I would like to ask," his lips and eyes trembled as he held the words back. He desired to ask them, but it was not time yet, introductions needed to be made. Permission to be asked of, from her father. Formalities, feeling in that moment like a young Romeo finding his Juliet wanted to avoid their tragic end and not rush headlong where only his heart led. "First, our familes, then us," turning his cheek to brush her hand to kiss the back of it again. Hope burning bright in his eyes.

Not that she had met the King but she knew that her Mother had been formally presented in front of the King once in her life time. Not much happened but her mother still liked to brag about it on occasion. Not so much these days... but it was only because of the circumstances of the political situation and that being on the side of the King was not presented in the best of lights. "How is it that I would find one who I am so inclined to have in my heart when there is this state of affairs?" She whispered to him as she looked at the handkerchief with the little wet spot that had absorbed her tears.

"I suppose that I am being a little bit silly..." Eleanor admitted to him with a light laugh. "I suppose that I know that there are things that are far greater than the two of us and they we both must give up our selfish needs for a greater cause." If only he knew that their causes were not on the same sides. Honestly, she felt like she was betraying herself with these feelings and mixed emotions for him. When he mentioned that he wanted to commit himself to her, she blinked a few times wondering what he exactly meant by that. There was also a part of her that worried that this could simply be lust as well.

She did not feel like it was lust but she had never really felt the spark of passion as she did with Alexander. It had been flirting and a little bit of fun before. Well, not too much fun for she was not a woman of ill repute. "I do not see it as a problem if you want to... introduce our families to one another." She was blushing. "I would very much like if I could perhaps meet your family... they do say that good children are a product of good parents and I would like to meet that parents that raise truly a wonderland man." She admitted to him as she knew that she was getting in deep. A part of her excited but then... also, worried.

There was a bubbling feeling of excitement but there would be the empty feeling of doubt that would come much later. "I think it would be lovely... there will be a bit of arrangements to set up a date but you ought to talk to your family before anymore." She said softly as she sighed with a smile.

Holding her hands in earnest pulled her close, feeling her warmth as he clutched her to his breast. "Eleanor, you could never be silly to me. I would rather you be yourself than anything, it's your strength, your presence that I admire. To me it shines, and I do not want you to ever eclipse that, even for me."

Seeing her smile at his suggestion of letting their families meet his heart felt eased, though he knew the propriety in talking to her parents first, that strength in her made him believe it would be her that would decide. No one was going to make Eleanor do anything. Not her parents, a suitor, or eventually husband. A slight flush came to his neck as he thought that word. To be her husband, she his wife. A slight fancy fluttered through his mind of a thousand days together and the blush deepened. In that moment of imagined intimacy he pulled her close without thinking, his lips finding hers. Drinking in their kiss like a fine wine, savoring the taste and feel of it, and exploring the pleasure of it through a thousand different angles.

Pulling back after a moment, their bodies pressed against each other, Alexander looked down on her. The rush of excitement running through his body like a heat. The swell of her pressed against him was exciting and he could not help but feel that adding to the wave of intimacy that poured through him, an ache to be near her growing in his soul. "I will speak to my parents when I return from our movement to Dorchester, I think it would be best to have you come to our home. It's modest, not as grand as your home," a slight jerking in his thoughts as he felt he slipped only now remembering the rioters at her home and their meeting. "I mean, my family, come from Puritans who built more reserved homes. Our business is close to it, and it has been there for many years. My sister Agatha would be happy to meet more girls near her own age."

Hoping he recovered drank in her smile, the way the sun gleamed on her cheek, finding nothing but perfection in her motions and movements. His mind raced to find another rationale to cover his supposed mistake, "it might ease your parents if they saw that my family does have a prosperous business." Kicking himself mentally, knew he was bad at courting, never able to get the words out right, and here he had done it again. Speaking without thinking, but the excitement ran through him. His luck, to have met a woman like Eleanor and that she would consent to him, Alexander felt his could take on the British by himself and kick them out of Boston at this moment.

Her mother had once said that she could never get a husband with the way that she acted and yet, here she was with a man who liked her for her. That was a lovely sentiment in her honest opinion as she was smiling. "You are really most generous with your words." She said to him with a smirk as she thought about that perhaps... when this rebellion was over, well... perhaps, they could get married. It seemed like a lovely idea in her opinion even if his family were Puritans... oh lord, would she have to convert? And then, he pulled her to him to kiss. He was not acting like a good Puritan. That was for certain and it was a little amusing as she could feel her breasts pushing against him. The tops of her breasts where visible, it being the fashion for ladies of the time. Not too much to look like a whore.

"Yes, I think that would be most welcome." She said softly. "I think perhaps that we best move away from each other before any more rumours escape this house. It was safe here but she ought not to take her chances. "I do wonder... you come from Puritans, does that mean that your family is?" She asked curiously thinking that she did not know if she could dress as such. She would miss her colourful gowns.

"I think that your sister and mine will get along." She said as she paused for a moment. "I don't see what my parents really have to worry about when it comes to a good gentleman like you. However, I think they will like to meet your family... as I am sure that your family will like to meet them." She moved a way a little as she was patting her hair down.

Stepping back, noting the way the dress flowed from her. The curves that is showed, or not, were enticing, his head swam with thoughts Alexander was not used to having towards women. He had been through the childhood crush on his cousin when they went to visit his uncle in Concord, but that had been long ago and no one had caught his eye since then. Until Eleanor. Ever present in his thoughts he damned the timing of the war, though it had been simmering for years, as long as he had been a child, and only now was the pot beginning to boil.

Alexander could not help but notice the swell of her breasts from the dress, swallowing hard he had to admit he liked it. Eleanor was fashionable, and yet her attitude was one of breeding, she showed herself in a way that noted grace, sophistication. A marriage with her would raise him to the clouds but he did not feel worthy of her, by God he thought, was he truly thinking of marriage! They had met only recently and already his thoughts strayed towards a life together. As they adjusted themselves and resumed the slow walk in the space between the houses, noises from kitchens echoed around them. A pot or pan sizzling, the thunk of a pot being placed on a table, the smell of bacon fat or sizzling onions wafted through the flower-tinted air.

"My mother's side comes from Puritans, her family came to the Plymouth colony." He admitted with a bit of pride that he could trace the family back to that landing, "though we have parted ways with the likes of Minister Mather and followed Minister Mather, we are reformers. We used to attend the Boston Congregationalist Church just over in Boston, then we found a new spiritual home in Cambridge, part of that was my attendance at Harvard. My mother still dresses the same, though that is not something that my sister tends to do." Leaning closer as if sharing a family secret, "we think mother does it to save money as the cloth she uses is cheaper."

It suddenly dawned on him what she might fear, the fashionable dress and look. A smile on his face as he pet her hand affectionately, basking in her presence like a flower under the sun. Absorbing what he could of her to take with him, along with the kerchief. "Fear not, my love, you would not need to give up the dresses," a smile on his face as he imagined entering a church with her on his arm. The talk, the heads turning, it was all so satisfying. Prideful and bordering on sin, he thought, but somehow gratifying. "I would never want that, you look like an angel," he told her as he stood before her hands held wide. Down to one knee to look up at her in earnest, admiring the set of her jaw, the sparkle of her eyes, "to dress you otherwise would be to put you in rags, and that is something I would never do."

Sincerely, she felt strongly for him but then... she was also thinking that she had to hold herself back a little. Not only for being proper but because she was playing a dangerous game to get a Patriot soldier in love with her. Only to come to the moment when he would either be dead or she was to break his heart. She thought that her own heart would break thinking about the possible situation. Well, it was best not to dwell on that thought. She bit her lip so not to laugh a little. "Well, I suppose being thifty is not a bad thing in such trying times." She said with a smile. Would his mother like her since she was rather fashionable for the hand that she had been dealt. "And faith is not something to be shamed either. My family is ummm..." She looked down for a moment. "...Anglican..." It was known that more of the Anglican clergy were Loyalists and had gone to Boston and so, they had not been going to church but instead had private services.

"My family comes from Noble roots on my mother's side... wards to Queen Elizabeth and King James." She said but not sure if she ought to feel pride for her heritage when he was a Patriot. If this had been before... well, she would be proclaiming it because her family had noble blood and her father had been wealthy. And so, she had been a bit of a snob. However, she was not one anymore. She had even seen one of the girls that she had gone to school with... one that had not liked her. And she had been acted how her noble blood was holding up now... it had been witty but also rude. Something that she had ignored but it was the truth. Eleanor had been one young woman who had a lot of pride and yet, she was eating crow for that selfish pride now.

"Well, I would not be completely opposed to being a bit thifty with my fashion choices. It is why I know how to sew... I mean, I do update my dresses often... they only look to be new but only because I have some skill with a sewing needle and lace." She said with a teasing smirk. "So, I do not mind having fabric that costs less if some of the money goes to ribbons and lace?" She hoped that impressed him.

Raising his eyebrows when he heard of her lineage, though he was a Patriot to the cause he was still an Englishman. Growing up amidst the remote governance he believed, as many did, that London governed them like children. Making laws and regulations that suited London, not the colony. Each edict being more distasteful and more punishing than the last. Yet, at heart, they were Englishman. Some already considered themselves as something else, as if coming to America, this new land, was throwing away the past and starting a new. Alexander understood it, but they did send things to England, bought things from England, came from England. They were English.

Waving a hand at her talk of church, he knew his mother would not appreciate it, but father was more practical. "Faith and Politics, not a true basis for a relationship," he tried to sound light-hearted about it. "I wouldn't care what faith you are Eleanor, if you take pride in it, that is fine for me." His smile tried to be reassuring, though it was hard not to smile at her as he looked upon her, their hands clasped together. Trying to add a joke to it, with a slight laugh, "I won't convert you, if you won't convert me."

A glance over her dress, he had approved of it before, especially as he had seen how beautiful she looked in the gown at the dance. "I thought you were the loveliest woman there, certainly the only one in my eyes," he also recalled the kiss. The warmth spreading across his lips again in memory. The sweetness of her breath and the smell of her, the memory of the evening came back as vivid as if they were reliving it again. "If that dress shows your skill, I believe my mother would be most impressed. Although I have a suspicion that my sister might try your services, she has an eye for color and lace as you do."

Squeezing Eleanor's hand in his hoped it would work out, if he had to convince his father there would be work to do but Alexander was not going to be denied. "I will see my parents before I return to camp, whatever father decides mother will go along with. She has been introducing me of late, so she will be pleased I am interested in someone, especially one as beautiful as you." Taking a breath as he found himself lost in her eyes again, his heart hammering in his chest. The words coming to his lips that he wanted to proclaim to all, regardless of social convention or propriety. "I would love to have you in my arms all of the time. See you all of the time," turning to her, a hand stroking her cheek as his voice came softer. "To kiss you all of the time."

She was not so sure when he said that her faith did not matter. She was still a Christian but she had to wonder if it would matter if she was a Jew or god forbid... a papist. "I do not have any plans to convert you." She laughed a little as she was looking up at him. "I suppose I was just worried because of the misgiving of the different sets of Christianity." They did all believe in Jesus Christ as their lord and saviour but their were different standards on what people thought of faith and she supposed that was her fear of the misunderstanding and there was also a hope that his family would be accepting of the idea of this union.

"Well, if I can make a good impression on your family as you have my own... then that is my only hope." She said as she thought for a moment about her needlework skills. She was no seamstress but it could be something that would be of use in the future. A handy skill to say the least. Eleanor looked up at him with almost a shy smile as she suddenly felt nervous because she did not know if she was doing the right thing when it came to where her loyalty was laying. "You truly do know what to say to ease a nervous mind." She said with a happy little sigh. It was as if they were in their own little world.

She did not even care to notice that anyone could perhaps see them. "Good lord, when will we have time to do other things if we will be in each other's arms and kissing all the time." She was teasing a little as she took his hand from her cheek and squeezed it. "The thought of our lives together is a pleasant and happy dream." She said wondering to herself where these sweet words were coming from. Was she being honest or was she lying to herself and him again.

"I think perhaps that you ought to kiss me again... since we are alone at the moment." How much longer would they be alone before they would have to leave the garden and go back inside for their benefit but also for their reputation.

Alexander took her in his arms one more time. A smile spread across his lips as he leaned down, pressing his lips to hers in a now familiar kiss. He could feel his heart beating hard in his chest, as his hands wrapped around her, pulling her close in a soft rustle of skirts and pettitcoats he could feel the beating of her heart beneath his hands. While their lips pressed close he closed his eyes, seeing the red dapple of sunlight pass across his eyelids. The warmth of the sun merged with the subtle warmth of Eleanor's breath that passed softly across his cheek, a light tickle that grew as he felt the sigh within her breath that told him she felt the passion he let run through his lips into hers.

A warmth spread through him as her body was pressed close to his, the burning eagerness of young love had been enflamed in his breast before by her presence, with each kiss that fire grew brighter. For once he damned the need for the coming fight. Not wanting to part from Eleanor, to be released from her arms, he was committed to fight but he desired his place to be here, next to her. Freedom and independence in that moment were but words, hollow thoughts that meant nothing for a government that was weeks and miles away. Yet he was committed, just as easily to the cause as to her. Alexander was not about to let either commitment lapse, to do so would mean he was less of a man. He so eagerly desired to be a man for Eleanor.

"I believe you will make a wonderful impression," he whispered as their lips slowly drew away from each other. A smile formed under the blush of his cheeks as their mouths elastically pulled back, his eyes locked on hers. "I only worry my sister may be as smitten, she has only had my mother to look up to and you will be a dash of color and excitement to her. Though if our life was just being in each other's arms, that is a life I would strive for, a life of dream." He teased her back as he held her gaze.

"I don't want to importune myself on you, though when near you I cannot help but want to take you in my arms," he confided to her as he felt the curve of her shoulders under the cloth of the dress. Imagining for a moment that the dress itself was nonexistant and it was his hand cupping her bare, soft flesh. "Though I should not desire so, I best leave soon to notify my parents so they may prepare a time for our families to meet."

---

Tomas looked down on the garden, the two figures moving and embracing with a pattern of their own. The garret was dark, and cool so it hid him well. He seethed with each kiss that the Lieutenant placed on Eleanor's lips, Tomas wished to leap down and throttle the man. He had warned Lieutenant Gage and those warnings seemed to be for naught. Tomas wanted to kill Gage for touching her, his love. His life. The only woman who had ever mattered to him. Though she had spurned him he knew she would see him for what he was, a man of quality, over time. If only the colonists and their damned insurrection had not ruined his family's fortunes and place in Cambridge. Forcing them to flee with their life as filled with empty promises as the house was.

Stuck here he had joined the rabble who played at being soldier, not that Tomas knew much more than what his father had told him in his stories of fighting the French. This group of pretenders was no more than farmers or boys marching about with old rifles suitable for hunting rather than war, some with none at all, or with rifles that could not even shoot. He'd joined thinking that Eleanor had stayed with her family to be one with the rebels, though her father had been appointed by the crown the colonists. He'd thought it odd but played along, finding a place under the command of the Lieutenant who had stopped the crowd from destroying her house. Playing the hero, and now the lover, as she somehow came into Gage's arms.

"You will not have her," he breathed deeply. The hatred and anger burning in his lungs with each mouthful of air, "I'll come back to you Eleanor, see your precious Lieutenant arrested as an insurrectionist and then it will be you and me."

Taking the bag with a set of spare clothes and what treasures remained within the house, its empty husk quiet since the rioters had chased his family out. There were things he had hidden here still, that none of the looters who came after found. Those things he carried in his bag, with what else remained of his life. Tonight, in the dark, he would cross the river into Boston and join the Crown. Tomas would show the loyalties that mattered, perhaps finding a place with Eleanor's brother who still served, that would allow him to know what she did if she and her brother were still in contact.

"I will return Eleanor," he vowed as he scratched a finger on a broken bannister, ignoring the slight pain of the splinter that he pulled out and threw to the ground. Sucking the blood that welled from his palm, and making his oath to her silently. A blood oath, one that could not be broken. His life, or hers.

Back
Top Bottom