Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Club Seduction (DareToDream & Blue)

DareToDream

Pulsar
Carter Davis leaned against the bar, his back to it, and scanned the room slowly. It was a slow night in Club Seduction but it was still young. He knew it would change soon enough; the club had a good reputation as a place to find some fun and it was Saturday night. They would come, men and women by the dozens, filling the space. He was counting on it because tonight…tonight he was on the hunt. Sating his needs had been put on the backburner when he’d taken his last security detail but that job was done now and it was time to play.

“Drink’s ready, Carter” a voice said behind him. Turning, he gave the bartender a nod and took the drink of Jack. It was “on the rocks” tonight instead of straight up as he wanted a clear head for the rest of the evening, at least for now. Movement caught his eye and his head turned, watching a woman in a radiant red dress, which clung to her curves, approach him. She smiled when she got closer and reached out, running a finger over his chest. “Looking as hunky as ever, Carter” she said, her voice a low purr. That finger moved to her chest and lightly traced a breast. “Looking for a little fun?” Carter studied her, his gaze sweeping over her body slowly and then back up again. He’d played with Lola before, and had always enjoyed it, but tonight he wanted something different…something new. “Not tonight, dear, at least not to start my evening off.” The woman took no offense by it and simply gave a nod and a wink before moving off, leaving Carter to wait for the one.

Kimberly Rowins felt severely out of place as she looked around at the crowd, but Emma really wanted her to come with for her birthday celebration. When she heard the place was called 'Club Seduction' she had almost expected it to be a strip joint. Seeing how people interacted with each other now that she was at the place she almost wished it were a strip joint. They had convinced her to come with, but no amount of begging or pleading from her friends could convince her to join them on the dance floor and instead opted to babysit their drinks. Despite the split in the skirt of her light blue dress going almost all the way up her thigh, her dress was conservative for the most part. The neckline didn't go too far down her small, but pert chest, and the dress length went well past her knees. There was enough material in the dress that when she sat with her legs crossed she could pull it over to the side to cover more of her legs. When her friends came back to give her company she moved freely without care of how much skin she was showing, but the moment she was alone again she did her best to remain covered.

A couple of men had come up to talk to her, but quickly lost interest for one reason or another due to her lack of enthusiasm for their advances. Kim didn't have any drinks for herself, though she started sipping from her friends' glasses as they came back to visit her less and less once they found someone they... enjoyed the company of. Everyone seemed to be so lustful and sexual towards each other and she had no idea why, though her first suspicion was drugs. One of her friends came back looking disheveled, but she seemed quite happy about it. "You should really talk to somebody here, y'know? Find a nice guy. Emma's already made plans to go back to this guy's apartment for the night and she seems really happy about it, so don't feel obligated to stick around for us, okay?" With that said, her friend ran off with some guy of her own, leaving Kim in a state of shock. She shook her head and lowered her eyes in disappointing as she turned to pay the bartender, then picked up her things and started to leave.

As predicted, the club had begun to fill up relatively fast and had soon taken a vibrant turn, the air filled with sexually charged energy and the booming music of the band. Carter never left his spot by the bar, simply keeping an eye out for that special person, glancing from woman to woman but discarding each in his mind for one reason or another. The bartender served him two more drinks over that time, pointing out a woman every now and then, but Carter shook his head each time. When a group of women came in at one point, he studied them, watching as one after another was paired off. Through it all, their friend sat at her table, lonely and quiet. A few idiots made an attempt at her but he knew they’d fail and they did.

The more he watched, the more intrigued he got. She was wearing a beautiful yet conservative dress, one that hid a figure that he knew had to be small and tight, and she seemed uncomfortable The longer her friends partied out on the dance floor, the more restless the woman became. Carter knew this was the one, from her modest clothes to the way she looked so uncomfortable. A familiar buzz of energy coursed through him the more he watched and he couldn’t wait to have this one and make her his own. When she suddenly turned and approached the bar, quickly paying their tab, he smiled and leaned forward. His hand shot out and pressed hers to the counter, holding it there without gripping it. “I’m sorry your friends ditched you” he murmured, leaning towards her “but don’t go.” One finger lightly stroked the back of her hand then as he continued to speak. “I hate crowds too…but I’d love to chat with you a little.”

Kim gasped loudly in her surprise and her face turned red as she wondered, 'Has he been watching me?' She glanced over him, admiring his features, and her eyes met his only briefly before looking away and avoiding his gaze. With a small movement of her head she purposely let her dark hair fall to cover her blue eyes from him, almost as though to provide a barrier. "Th-thank you,"she whispered in a soft voice that was just barely audible beneath the music, "But I don't know if I..."

She took a long pause, looking into the crowd for her friends and finding herself feeling alone. "Then again... I suppose it would be nice not to end the night in such a bitter way. I suppose it couldn't hurt to stay just a little longer since I went to the trouble of coming here." Kim looked at him now through the veil of her own hair, still not making eye contact.

He watched her closely, noting the way she couldn’t meet his eyes and how she used her hair to shield herself a bit. They were definite signs of submissiveness coming from her, signs that he liked to see. When she started to deny his offer and then seemed to change her mind, he let her see the smile that spread across his face. “I’m glad to hear that” he murmured, giving her hand a squeeze. “Perhaps you’d like to move over to one of the corner tables? It’s a bit quieter over there and one of the waitresses can bring some drinks for us if you’d like.”

Glancing away from her then, he let his gaze wander the room, checking out a woman or two. His intent was clear; he wanted to chat with her but there were plenty other fish in the sea if she hesitated for too long. Not that he thought she would but just to be safe, he turned back and met her gaze through the strands of her hair. As his fingers continued to stroke the back of her wrist, his other hand came up and parted those locks, brushing across her cheek at the same time. “What do you say….?”

The closest she got to meeting his eyes was watching the movement of his lips as he talked. "I'd like that,"she answered with relief in her voice. Her whole demeanor seemed more relaxed at the mere thought of getting further away from the bustling crowd. His voice was soothing in a way, drawing her out of her mental shell bit by bit. She turned her head away from his touch, though, as she was still not ready to fully trust this stranger.

"My name is Kim, by the way," she offered, finally meeting his eyes out of courtesy and habit and she immediately regret doing so as her stomach filled with nervous butterflies. Her head lowered even as she kept eye contact and she smiled shyly, her shoulders rising and her thighs rubbing together as she tensed. Suddenly she stood and began walking to one of the tables to distract from her nervous behavior, asking, "What's your name?"

He continued to study her, a smile on his lips. The touch of his fingers against her skin had sent a shock of electricity coursing through his body, one that ended as she turned her head. It was a move he had expected since they’d just met but it wouldn’t last, not if he managed to get her alone. She would be his then, to do with as he pleased, wherever he pleased. That thought widened his smile and he met her gaze with a nod.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Kim. I’m Carter.” He’d offer to shake her hand but he knew she would refuse though it could be fun forcing the issue. Deciding against it though, he turned as she slipped past him, heading for the tables. Tossing some money on the bar, he gave the bartender a grin and then followed her, his gaze locked on the sway of her hips and that delicious thigh that was exposed every time she took a step. Catching up to her right as she reached the table, he placed his hand on her back and steered her towards one booth then did something she wouldn’t expect, sliding in next to her.

Kim was easily guided, along with his plan as she yeilded to any decisions he made with no complaints. She took her seat and fidgeted for a moment as she again pulled her dress to cover more of her leg as she sat. She had noticed that they were no longer in immediate view of anyone around and took relief in this fact, not knowing of any plans Carter had for her.

She moved as far into the booth as she could go, distancing herself from the crowd as much as she could. "So, are you a regular here?" She asked a bit more confidantly, still completely missing everything beneath the surface about this club, "Or is there some particular reason you are here tonight?" Her eyes wandered, mostly wandering over his body, though she still refused to hold eye contact for more than a split second.

Carter smiled as he slid in next to her, his gaze falling to her leg and thigh, watching as she pulled her dress up enough to cover up the creamy flesh. Settling in next to her, he made sure his body barely touched hers but not in a creepy, I’ll pin you to the seat, sort of way. He reached out and grabbed a paper towel from the holder on the table and wiped up a few wet drink stains.

He caught her wandering eye out of the corner of his and felt the smile turn into an impish grin. “I guess you could say that. I find the atmosphere….to be rather fun” he murmured, raising his hand to signal a waitress. When one arrived, he ordered another Jack on the Rocks and turned to her. “Would you like something to drink?” As he said it, the hand that had been wiping the table slipped off the edge and lightly caressed the length of one thigh.

"Just some water. I've had more than enough to drink for one night," she answered quietly, biting her lip shyly when she noticed his grin. It was so mischevious and wondering what he was thinking behind that smile made her giddy somehow. Kim took a deep breath before taking his hand and placing her own within it to stop him from feeling her up. She enjoyed his touch, but being gently felt up didn't exactly drive her crazy, not to mention that she didn't want to make it easy for him.

Kim looked away as she explained her own reason for being there, "I've never been to any kind of club before. It's my friend's birthday, though, and she really wanted to come here. She insisted that I come with, so I did, but I don't know that I really belong here. I don't dance, I don't drink much, and I usually don't like people. I'm surprised you haven't already walked away and left me here alone."

“Water it is then” he said as he felt her fingers wrap around his, stopping the progress of his touch. As he gave the waitress their order, he couldn’t help but smile inwardly at her boldness. Oh, it was going to feel good taking this one, he thought. So very good. He let her keep her hand in his as he listened to her speak, turning his head so he could gaze into her eyes the entire time. She really did have pretty eyes, he thought, though he didn’t say it out loud. No, she’d just blush and get embarrassed if he did, he suspected.

He let silence fall between them for a moment as the fingers of his other hand drew idly on the table surface, wanting her to stew for a moment in the knowledge that he wasn’t entirely happy that she’d stopped him. When the waitress returned with their drinks, he took a sip of his and finally spoke. “I’m a bit surprised too, to be honest” he said. “I was looking for something different tonight though, someone who caught my eye. I saw you sitting there and I just knew that someone was you.” He removed his hand from hers then, his fingers snagging the edge of her dress and slowly shifting it so her slit gaped open more.

She remained still her urge to squirm uncomfortably in the silence. Kim didn't like to displease others, but she couldn't just let him touch her so freely. They were hardly acquaintances! When he spoke she was confused by his words, not really understanding what he meant and her confusion showing on her face. "What are you talking about?" she asked, pushing his hand away and smoothing her dress back over her legs again.

She shook her head as she backed away now, thinking back on all of the sexual energy she had felt before, but had ignored. Thinking of how her friends had seemed so excited and focused on the attractive men. "What is this, a matchmaking club?" she asked in her growing confusion. "Look, I'm not looking to hook up tonight. I'm just here with a friend. If you were hoping to get laid, or find someone to go out with I don't think I'm the girl you're looking for."

He had to give her credit. Even though he’d already guessed that she wasn’t the strongest willed person in the club, she was doing a good job of showing inner strength early on. Instead of being pissed by that, he found he actually liked it, if only because he knew the satisfaction when he finally broke through her defections would be that much better. He let his hand fall to the bench, and let her scoot further away, his gaze still roaming the club.

Considering her words for a moment, he finally turned and studied her. “This club…it’s whatever you want it to be for the most part. If sex is your thing, you’ll find it here. If dance grabs you, willing partners abound. Like any club, hooking up often happens but it doesn’t have to obviously.” He looked back at the club again before taking a sip of his drink. “Me, I just wanted to meet someone tonight that was different than all the rest. Maybe have some good conversation, enjoy a drink or two, and see where the night led us with no strings attached.” Looking back at her, he let his gaze bore into hers. “If you’re not up for that though, you’re welcome to leave.”

Carter's explanation of the club caused Kim to take a shaky breath as realisation dawned on her. This club, this 'Club Seduction', was a hookup club. She mentally kicked herself for not picking up on it's entirety before. Suddenly feeling very stupid she dropped her gaze from his to the table. Her cheeks tinged a pale pink as suddenly everything began to make sense, even this man's interest in her.

With moral duty about to rear its ugly head, she turned back to him, about to let him down easy. But something stopped her. She gazed into his eyes and noticed that there was something different with him. Every other guy she had dated and dumped previously, well for her, they had been missing...'something'. Sure he was handsome, ruggedly so, in fact. But Kim sensed something else under the surface. And it was very attractive.

Suddenly switching tactics, she couldn't bare to see him get scared off. "Look, I'm, I'm sorry," she started nervously. "This place, this scene...it's not me. Well, not normally. I mean, I work in a bookstore, I actually read in my spare time, I-I do arts and crafts, I help cook for the homeless-" stopping abruptly Kim realised she'd just shared too much with a total stranger. But pressed on despite her unexpected onset of nerves. "I...don't...I mean...not that it's a bad thing....I just don't...I'm not into the whole 'one night, no strings attached'...thing."

Kim paused slightly, knowing that if she wanted any sort of continued connection with this guy she'd have to lay her cards on the table, then and there. "But, I like you. And you said you were looking for something different? Maybe...I don't know, maybe we can try this again?"

She shifted in her seat, away from him slightly and offered him her hand. "Hi, I'm Kim. I'm here for my friend Emily's birthday. I'm not here to hookup, but I do enjoy meeting interesting people, and you seem very interesting."

Carter met her stare, his own boring into hers as if he was diving into her soul. Her words flowed with nervous ease, one after another, as if a volcano had erupted and spewed English from its spout. The more she continued, the harder it became to not quirk his lips in a smile. It was clear that she’d had no idea what she’d wandered into when she’d accompanied her friends but now that she’d figured it out, she was trying hard to be brave. He liked that though he knew, deep down, she wasn’t.

When she offered his hand, he took it, giving it a little squeeze then broke their gaze and looked out over the dancers again. He let silence linger for a moment, digesting her words a tiny bit but making her sweat more. Finally he turned back to her and smiled softly. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Kim. I’m Carter. But you knew that because we’ve done that once already”. It was said with candor but not rudeness, his way of acknowledging what she was trying to do but letting her know he was past it.

He looked out over the dancers again, watching one couple that bumped and grinded against each other with fervor. “I also didn’t say I wanted a hook up, did I?” he said, continuing where he’d left off. “Though I do appreciate your honesty.”

Turning back to her, he smiled again. “I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who worked in a bookstore before…or spend her time reading….I like that. You care about something other than yourself, which is rare in my world.” He turned and signaled for another round of drinks and then looked at her again. “Tell me more…if you want me to stick around”.

Kim was of two minds as Carter responded. She could sense that he was playing her, making her sweat, making her play his little game, but she also couldn't help but want to keep his attention. As he stared out over the crowd, she suppressed her urge to grab him by the chin and bring his gaze back to her. She started to question whether he even wanted to be sitting with her, but as he ordered another round, her suspicions were confirmed. "Well, I can't dance..." she said with a slight cheek, hinting at the fact he kept looking that way, letting him know that she knew what he was doing.

If Kim was being completely honest, she struggled with Carter's question, and her initial response gave her time to try and think of a real answer. She wasn't used to being on the receiving line, rather preferring to be the one asking the questions. She considered giving him a blanket response, one that didn't reveal too much, giving herself a wall to hide behind if things turned south. But then decided against it, knowing he'd see right through it. "You want to know more, ok, um, I like my job? No, seriously, I really like my job. If I ever get enough money behind I'd like to buy it, I love it that much. I'd turn it into a bookshop cafe. But you know..." Kim blushed as she turned her gaze to the dancefloor herself, more to distance herself from the fact that she'd just shared too much again.

"What about you?" she asked trying to change the subject. "Lawyer? Banker? Entreprenaur?"

He turned when she first spoke and couldn’t keep the smirk off his face. This one had spunk and he liked that. She wasn’t afraid to make her point, no matter how nervous he suspected she was on the inside. He waited for more, knowing she wasn’t don’t talking, but this time he gave her the respect she’d earned, focusing all of his attention on her.

When she was done, he turned her words over in his head, an idea slowly blossoming. He didn’t know her at all but he knew he wanted to know her…all of her…and he had more money than he knew what to do with. The idea would die immediately if he just threw it out there; she’d run for the hills faster than a deer in flight. No, he had to do this slowly, put the bread crumbs out and wait for her to take them.

“I think that’s a noble goal” he said, taking a sip of his drink. “Everyone loves bookstores but that would encourage them to sit and read longer. Not only would it bring in more sales, it would encourage people to read and expand their world. Sounds like a smart business plan, at least on the surface. What you need is an investor to back you.” He bumped his drink against hers, the clink of glass on glass designed to get her attention. “Good thing you just met one.”

Kim was slightly chuffed when he complimented her business plan idea. But her whole face seemed to light up when she heard Carter's occupation. "Whaat? No way-really?" She couldn't believe her luck. Not only was she sitting down with an investor that could make her dreams come true, but he lliked her idea.

But as she watched Carter, a horrible thought hit her out of nowhere. What if he was playing her again? What if this was just a line to, as they say, get in her pants? Or worse, what if he was a conman, ready and willing to raise her hopes and then dash them expertly, taking the little money she had? Or, even scarier, what if he was actually telling the truth? She picked up her glass and took a drink of her water, suddenly wishing that she had ordered something stronger. Not that she was used to drinking, but she still felt that water just wasn't cutting it.

She hated her untrusting nature. After giving herself a few seconds to quell her excitement, having downed half her water, she decided to take the moment for what it was. An amazingly good looking guy was sitting down talking to her, and had hinted at wanting to interact with her again. She looked up and smiled at him, "Well, maybe you should come and check it out sometime," she suggested as cooly and nonchalantly as she could. "Do you know the boutique set of shops down on River Street?"

Carter felt that tingle deep down inside when he heard the excitement in her voice but it was the glow in her face that caused his heart to beat just a little faster. He doubted she had any idea how beautiful she looked when her face glowed with happiness but he wasn’t about to tell her…no, that would be for another, more intimate moment – and they would have those…of that he was now sure. He’d make it his life mission.

Taking another sip, he nodded, keeping his gaze locked on hers. “I’m very aware of River Street….in fact, I’ve invested in a couple of unique businesses there. Are you aware of the store Wine and Design and Small Cakes? I specialize in businesses that bring a different concept to the market. Wine and Design combines wine drinking with artistic painting and Small Cakes is a bakery that also teaches kids how to bake. Both are hits with parents but for very different reasons. Just like your concept would be…”

He let the words trail off as he took another sip and then shifted so he could reach into his pants pocket, pulling out a business card. Turning it over, he flagged down a waitress and borrowed a pen, scrawling his cell phone number on it, then slid it down the table to her. “I’ll tell you what….I’ll come by your bookstore in a week or two and in exchange, you have to give some thought to a business plan for your concept.” He finished his drink then and slowly stood, stretching. “I have a business meeting in New York in the morning, so I think it’s time I head out. Can I call you a cab?”

Kim felt like her head was spinning. She knew the places that he was speaking of. They were vibrant, contemporary stores that she walked past on her way to work every day. Though they both had different approaches, she saw countless happy customers walk in and out of those stores regularly. She nodded gently as he explained each store, and found herself freeze as he lightly commented again on her idea. He didn't use words like 'if' and 'could', he used 'would be'. To Kim, that spoke volumes.

She was grateful for the few seconds he gave her, in collecting his business card. With a now slightly shaky hand she reached over and picked it up. She turned it over in her hand, and swore she recognised the logo. And his name, Carter Davis...there was something familiar about.

Still feeling a little dazed and overwhelmed, when he asked about a cab, she took a few seconds to respond, still looking at the card. She pulled her gaze back to his, "Hmm? A cab? Oh, no thanks, I'm-I'm good...". She looked at her watch, and knew that if she hurried she could make the number 7 bus home, it being the last one of the night.

She slowly stood up and, not wanting to disappoint again, she offered a small smile and a compromise, "Walk me out?" She led the way through the club, out the inner doors and down the small hallway towards the street doors. She turned to him and in the dim light, she noticed how his chiseled features seemed even more pronounced. And in a slightly cheeky thought she suddenly wondered what he looked like in candle light. She quickly pushed that thought aside, and started to say her goodbyes.

"Well, thanks for making my not-so-good night...memorable. And um even if this, you know, doesn't work out," she said holding up his business card, "it was a pleasure. Oh, and um, thanks for the drink," she said smiling gently.

Her offer to walk her out had surprised him, as he truly thought she’d not only turn down his offer but would also retreat back to her friends in the hopes that at least one of them hadn’t hooked up. Smiling at her, he nodded and walked beside her, enjoying the quiet moments. A few people caught his eye and grinned, assuming that he’d found his next conquest and he just nodded, doing nothing to confirm nor deny. It was none of their business after all and Carter wasn’t the type to imply something that wasn’t.

When they stepped outside, the door closing behind them, a cool breeze flowed over his skin and he almost shivered. The silence of the night slowly surrounded them and he turned as she spoke, his eyes scanning the street before focusing on her face. He dipped his head in a respectful nod when she was done. “It was my pleasure, Kim” he murmured softly, his smiling widening. “I was looking for someone interesting to talk to and I found you so I think my night was memorable also.” When she flashed his card, he caught her gaze, zeroing in on her eyes. “You have a good idea and this area doesn’t have anything like that” he said. “If you do your homework, you’ll be able to pull something together for me to look at, I know.”

Glancing at the street again, he noticed movement near an alley and narrowed his eyes. This wasn’t the best of neighborhoods in the best of times and definitely not at night. Turning back to Kim, he lowered his voice. “Listen, this isn’t the best place for you to be alone. Let’s go wait at the bus stop and I’ll stay with you until you’re safely on it. I’d feel better knowing I kept you safe.” He let a touch of his Dom come out in his voice, holding a reassuring no nonsense tone that said very clearly that she’d be safe with him. Reaching out, he took her hand without asking and led her to the stop. “When you flesh out your idea a little bit, I have a friend who can help you put it together in a formal business format. He works at Largo Bank just down the street from your store. Goes by the name of Al. Just tell him Carter sent you.” He stopped them near the bus shelter and positioned himself so he stood on the outside of her, keeping her between himself and the overhang. His body was alert but not tense as he kept an eye on the alley. “That way, when I come to visit, you’ll be ready”. His smile said she was safe, to relax and not worry and he meant it.

"B-but I'm fine! Really I-" Kim tried to reassure him that she was fine, that she did this all the time, and that she knew the area and which places to avoid at what times, but she sensed there was no arguing with him. As he took her by the hand, she admitted to herself that she enjoyed having someone want to watch out for her. She could do without the feelings of smallness and inferiority that started to creep into the back of her mind though, and she tried to push them aside and figured this was just how men of his success worked.

When they neared the bus stop, she noticed Carter deliberately placed himself so that she was protected from both sides. She was just about to say something when he mentioned his friend that could help her with her business plan. She quickly jotted down the info on her phone, in a rush to turn the conversation around. "Oh, ah sure. Thanks for that," she said, putting her phone away. She looked up at him, ready to tell him that he didn't have to wait around for her, but she couldn't help but stop as she came into view of his smile. It was genuine, and heartfelt, and seemed to soften his features. She felt drawn to those piercing eyes, and found herself smiling back.

She sensed a few people moving in closer around her in the shelter, and as someone accidentally bumped into her, she felt herself snap back to reality. "Look, Carter, this is really very sweet, but you don't have to wait with me till the bus...", she faded her sentence off as the bus itself pulled up to the curb. She blushed, slightly embarrassed, "ah...never mind." She watched as the short line of people clambered on, and turning to Carter, unsure how to end things, quickly leaned up, kissed him on the cheek, and softly wished him, "Night."

As she stepped onto the bus and swiped her pass, the doors closed behind her. She looked out the window as the bus pulled away, giving him a small wave and a small smile.

Carter gradually relaxed as more people joined them at the shelter but he never fully let his attention leave the alleyway, though he kept his gaze on her. Her words made him smile and he was going to comment but the arrival of the bus stopped the words from slipping out. What came next surprised him for the second time that night, the feel of her lips on his skin sending a tingle of pleasure down his spine.

Stepping back from the bus stand, he returned her wave, a big smile on his face. He watched as it drove down the block, never taking his gaze from it until it turned out of sight. Shaking his head then, he turned and headed back towards the club and the parking lot that was just beyond it. As drove away, heading for his home, his mind kept replaying the events of the night over and over again in his head.

He’d gone to the club with the intent to come home with someone different and instead he’d found a new, enticing, challenge. One that not only called to his sexual needs but also stirred his intellect. Her idea for a new business had truly intrigued him on a business level and though he’d made no promise to visit her at the bookstore, he knew he would. Whistling softly, he made his way through the streets, his sporty convertible a flash in the night. He had that early flight to New York to get ready for and he’d be gone for a week, which would give her plenty of time to start thinking about the next step for her idea.

All the way home, Kim couldn't wipe the smile from her face. She couldn't believe her luck. She'd survived another one of Emma's wild nights out, had met an amazing guy and had been given a real chance to move her job into a career. Her dreams that night revolved around Carter and her memories of the night. She woke up the next morning half thinking that the whole night was just a beautiful surreal dream. That was until her phone started to ring.

"Hel-"
"OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!"
Kim pulled the phone away from her ear briefly. "Are you done?" she asked dryly.
"Yes. No, wait! OH! MY! GOD!"
"Emma! What the hell?"
"I can't believe you hooked up last night."
Kim slowly sat up in bed. "I didn't hook up last night."
"Don't you lie to me! Everyone saw you walk out of the club with that hot guy."
Smiling to herself, Kim assured her, "Well, we didn't hook up. We just chatted and he walked me out. That's it. End of discussion."
There was no way Emma was going to drop the subject, "But you're going to see him again right?"
Kim picked up Carter's business card and turned it over in her fingertips. "I hope so..."

The rest of the morning went by fairly uneventfully. After talking Emma off her high horse, she dressed, rode the bus halfway to work, then walked the rest of the way, wanting to stop and peek in on Small Cakes and Wine and Design, the stores that Carter invested in. Both were buzzing with customers and excitement, and she couldn't help but imagine her workplace being changed to resemble the same from her idea.

Gathering up her courage, she walked up to the Largo Bank during her lunch break, and after chatting with a bitchy bleached clerk, made an appointment to see 'Al' on her next day off.

On the flight the next morning, Carter played the events of the previous night through his mind. He’d gone to the club with a specific purpose in mind – finding someone different to take home – but had altered that plan mid-stream when he’d caught sight of Kim. It had been a while since a woman made him think about more than just sex and that intrigued him. Carter was first and foremost a business man, a very successful one at that, and he’d long ago had a rule that kept his business life separate from his sex life. But for the first time ever, he wanted to break that rule..no, shatter it.

The week flew by fast for him after that, meeting after meeting keeping his attention focused on business. But the nights…the nights plagued him. He prowled his usual hunting grounds in the big city each night but every time he came home empty handed. Not from lack of offers, never that, but because he couldn’t seem to get her out of his head. Even his friends noticed his distraction, inquiring about it, only to be brushed off.

As each day passed, he became grumpier, which pissed him off to no end, but it all faded away when he received the call from Al, letting him know that Kim had contacted him. The flight back two days later found Carter whistling a jaunty little tune and planning for a visit to the bookstore, though he wouldn’t make it until the next week. She needed time to digest her news from Al and begin to put her plan together, after all and, of course, time to wonder if he’d show up.

Back
Top Bottom