Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Club Seduction (DareToDream & Blue)

As the end of the week drew to a close, Kim found that she was a nervous wreck. Doubt and insecurity plagued her, particularly after she'd had her meeting with Al. He'd given her some great advice and had explained the basic principles to her in a way that she could understand. She'd spent the rest of her day off formulating a plan, and adding to it as the week progressed. And even though she'd made all this progress, she had never undertaken anything like this before. What if it didn't work out? What if she failed? What if she disappointed Carter? What if...what if he never wanted to see her again?

Carter...she had pictured his face every night before she'd gone to bed, but had desperately tried to push the thought of him out of her mind. Her heart raced every time she thought of him. Snippets of memories from the night they'd met popped into her subconscious at the most inappropriate times. And the worst part, every time the bookshop door opened, she expected to see him walking through it. But she had to remind herself that this was a business deal now, and that even though they'd met under more social circumstances, that she had to treat him now as a colleague. And nothing else.

After her shift on Saturday, she was grateful for the distraction the soup kitchen would bring. If she could clear her head, and try not to think about the new business opportunity, or her insecurities, or Carter...easier said than done.

The day after Carter arrived home, he had the urge to visit Kim’s bookstore but being the man that he was, he simply asserted control over his own mind and body and easily avoiding doing it. Another day passed and one more after that, his nerves getting more wired, which had begun to drive him nuts. It had now been a week and a half and he’d used the time to check in with his other businesses on River Street, resisting the urge to visit hers. He’d already talked to Al and learned all that he’d told her, which would be more than enough to get her started. The question was, would she have the business sense to finish it…only time would tell.

Finally, Thursday rolled around and he was tired of growling at everyone he saw due to the pent-up energy. It was time. He waited until the afternoon and drove down to River Street, parking at one end of the street and taking his time walking towards the bookstore. He stopped at Wine and Design first, picking up a small painting of a mountain scene that the shop owner had painted, then stopped at Small Cakes, picking up a small cupcake. The bookstore was next and he pushed through the door, glancing towards the checkout counter but seeing no one at it.

Moving deeper into the store, Carter looked for her but came up empty and for the first time wondered if today might be her day off. The thought had never occurred to him until now and he felt sort of foolish. Rounding a corner, heading towards another section of the store, his gaze fell on a woman and he smiled when he realized it was her. As he approached, she didn’t notice, and soon he was standing behind her. Clearing his throat softly, he spoke. “Hello Kim. I brought you a small token to thank you for that wonderful night a few weeks ago. I hope you like them.” With that, he held out the picture and the cupcake waiting to see how she reacted.

Kim's heart lept as she heard Carter's voice behind her. She wanted to instantly spin around and give him the biggest hug she could muster. She wanted to blurt out how much she'd missed him and that just hearing his voice again was enough to erase the horrible day she'd been having. Instead, she took a bit of a breath after hearing her name and with bright eyes and a genuine smile she responded, "Carter!" He looked just as handsome as she remembered, and it made her insides quiver.

As he explained, she looked down at the things in his hands, and nearly misted up. No one had ever brought her gifts when it wasn't a birthday or special occassion. "Aww!" she cooed when she saw the cupcake, that is until she recognised the painting. "I-Is that...is that...?" The moment she had seen that painting in the window at Wine and Design she had wanted it. Six months it sat in the window taunting her, having to spend money on "important" things like bills instead of of buying it and putting it on her wall.

She gently ran her fingertips over the raised mountaintop, struggling to find the right words. Looking up at him, she settled simply on, "Thank you, Carter. I love them. But you didn't have to get me anything," she said slowly moving back to the counter, to place the beautiful items under it. "So how've you been? How was New York?" she asked excitedly.

Carter wasn’t sure what kind of reception he’d get and was pleasantly surprised by the excitement in her voice and in her body language. He’d always been a good read of people – it was one of the reasons he was so successful at business – and he could tell that behind her words was a vibration of energy that she was trying to hold back. His body responded almost instantly in turn, tightening in all the right ways. She took the presents and headed towards the front of the story with him following, his gaze drifting over her body from behind, loving the sway of her hips.

“I hoped you’d like them. The painting caught my eye the minute I walked into the shop. I find the more time I spend in cities the more outdoor scenes capture my attention when I see them. I hope it looks good in your home.” With her behind the counter, he moved to the front and leaned on it, propped up by his elbows. His gaze captured hers and held it, a quiet strength communicated there. He smiled wide at her questions.

“I’ve been well. Busier than normal or I’d have been in to visit sooner. New York was…noisy” he laughed lightly. “Plus non-stop meetings. I tried to relax in the evenings but I found myself…distracted…by other thoughts” he murmured, dropping his voice, his gaze dropping to her lips briefly and then back up. “But enough about me. I want to hear how you’ve been doing…perhaps over dinner tomorrow night?” He had decided on the walk over that he wouldn’t talk about business right away. Kim tugged at the dominant inside him and he wanted to get to know her more personally first.

A shiver ran down Kim's spine as Carter's voice dropped. The thoughts and feelings she'd had during the days before resurfaced. She so badly wanted to be closer to him, to feel him tower over her just by standing beside her, to feel his lips--she had to pull herself quickly out of her current train of thought. She realised quickly that even being in the same room as him made her mind fog over. She reminded herself what was at stake, and urged herself to be professional. She had to control herself.

She leaned back, away from the counter when he described what he'd been up to since she'd seen him. She nodded in all the right places and thought she was back on track with the conversation. That was until he asked her to dinner. Suddenly she wanted to leap into his arms and say yes. But just as she was about to respond, that annoying small voice reminded her that he may not be thinking the same way as she was. Not wanting to make a fool of herself, and respond the wrong way, she took hold of a soft blue cloth and started wiping the counter down. Dinner was too much of an unknown. She had to do something to rein in the situation.

Taking a moment to calm herself, she was quickly reminded of one small fact, and as she responded, she came up with a solution. "I would love to, except I have Soup Kitchen tomorrow night, b-but I can do lunch tomorrow? I have the morning shift...we could go from here?"

Carter studied her as he spoke, seeing little sparks of happiness slip across her face. Then suddenly it was gone but he knew why and had to stop the smile from gracing his lips. He was starting to have an effect on her, though he doubted she truly understood why. He did though…her submissive side was drawn to his dominant one but it would take her a while to figure that out. A while he was willing to wait though it would take great restraint on his part. He wasn’t looking for a simple one night stand though, no…in her he saw so much more.

Her attempt to put distance between them almost caused him to chuckle but instead he dropped his gaze and focused on her hand, watching it wipe the cloth over the top of the counter with grace and dignity. He couldn’t help wondering what else those hands would be good at and that almost caused him to groan. The mention of the soup kitchen perked his attention and he stepped back from the counter, smiling.

“That’s very noble of you, Kim” he said. “Not many people give their personal time to help others, myself included. I should really do more of it.” He paused, considering her suggestion. “Given your plans, lunch works for me. It’s a date then.” He wondered what that word would mean to her, how she would react to it. “I can pick you up here and we can walk down to the diner on the corner if you’d like. They’re pretty good. Say, around noon?”

As he spoke, he began to walk backwards towards the door, reaching it and opening it slowly. Tossing another smile her way, he added “I’m looking forward to it” and then slipped out.

The spark returned to her face as Carter once again complimented her social conscience, and then agreed to lunch. She couldn't control it, in fact, had never been very good at hiding her emotions. She knew she would have to learn to control them better if they were going to work together-wait! Did he say DATE?!

The word threw poor Kim for a six. All she could do was nod as he confirmed details and headed out the door before her brain finally caught up with the situation. She watched the door close in a daze and could only respond with a slow, whispered, "....okay..."

It took her fifteen full minutes to come around again, to a point where she felt more herself. This man Carter, he really did have an effect on her. She had thought their conversation out, thinking they'd talk business, but instead he'd brought her gifts and floored her by asking her out to lunch. It was completely unexpected...and it left her even more confused than before. That night she hung the painting in her tiny living room in her apartment where it took pride of place. She couldn't bring herself to eat the cupcake, thinking it too pretty to eat, and left it on the top shelf in her fridge. It making her smile every time she saw it.

Kim woke up cranky the next morning, having gotten very little sleep, as her mind continued to dwell on her confusion. She dressed quickly, but opted to spend some extra time on her hair and makeup, something she didn't do everyday, but thought that the day called for it. Whatever it may bring. The morning seemed to creep by painfully slowly, that was until 11am, when suddenly they were rushed off their feet. Thankfully, it started to slow right around 12.

The minute the door closed behind him, Carter began to chuckle. He’d seen the flustered look on her face when it finally dawned on her what he’d said and he loved it. Keeping her off balance wasn’t part of his plan but it sure was fun all the same. Heading back up the block, he stopped in at Small Cakes and bought a cupcake for himself, to celebrate how well things were going.

His life had taken an unexpected turn, that’s for sure, but he didn’t mind it. For once, he’d found something he wanted and was having to work for it. Challenges he could handle; overcoming them was the fun part. That night, he slept like a rock, dead to the world and woke the next day completely refreshed and dressed in a sports jacket, button up shirt, and dress slacks, wanting to look nice but not over-dressed.

He slipped through the open door to her shop as a customer walked out, laden down with books, and spotted her immediately. “Hey Kim” he called with a small wave as he made his way through the crowd, avoiding each person deftly, amazed at how crowded the place was. Finally reaching the counter, he leaned against it, staying out of everyone’s way.

“Looks like you had a pretty busy morning. Still able to go to lunch? If not, we can always reschedule. I’d understand.” He was looking forward to it but he wasn’t a complete ass. Work came first, even in his life, so he wasn’t going to force the issue with her, at least not yet. “I stopped in at the diner and reserved us a seat before I came here, just in case you can still go.”

Kim was so relieved when Carter arrived, mostly for two reasons. The first and most obvious was that she really was enjoying seeing him and spending time with him. Particularly when he stepped in looking like he'd just come from a fashion magazine shoot. But secondly, normally with a rush like this, she would have stuck around and helped out, feeling guilty that she was leaving them short-handed. But today, she didn't care. She wanted out, and she wanted him. In her eyes she was getting the best of both worlds.

She quickly finished up with her customer, and turned to him, placing a gentle hand on his arm. "No, no, of course we're going. Just give me a sec to change out of my work shirt," she said, giving him a smile as she disappeared into the back room. She quickly changed into a slightly flowy top, which now better matched her denim kneelength skirt and flats. She hated her work shirt, and was glad to put it away in her work cubby as she grabbed her purse. She gently shook her hair out of its ponytail, checked her hair and makeup in the nearby mirror, called out to the boss that she was going, and reemerged feeling instantly better.

"There we go, all done," she said as she approached Carter again. "Shall we?" she asked, before leading him out the door and onto the street.

The moment she put her hand on his arm, he felt the electricity flow through him. Damn, he thought to himself, if it felt like that through my shirt, what would it feel like when we were wearing no clothes. He managed to keep those thoughts to himself, smiling at her words and watching as she darted off into the back, out of sight. While he waited, a few customers greeted him and he returned them, chatting lightly with each one.

He was used to that; as a successful businessman, he had to connect with people and was quite good at it. It did get old though so he was glad when she reappeared, his gaze immediately taking in the change in her top and the way her hair looked out of its ponytail. “We shall” he murmured, smiling as he followed her out. Once they reached the street, he reached out and took her hand, entwining their fingers and lightly swinging their arms.

“You look lovely with your hair down and I love the top, though you looked sexy in that work shirt.” He gave her a quirky grin, knowing that she hated it, and then chuckled softly. “Have you eaten at the diner before? If not, you’ll love it. Their food isn’t fancy but man does it make your mouth water.” The food was so good he’d once tried to invest in the diner but the owner wanted nothing to do with it, a decision he could respect. Holding the door to the diner open for her, he waved her on and then followed behind.

As he took her hand, she couldn't help but smile up at him, with a slightly quizzical slant. She shook her head as he swung her hand gently in his. She blushed as he complimented her clothes, but then her eyes narrowed as he spoke about her work shirt. She was by no means a girly girl, and so to wear a white shirt with pink highlights for work irked her every time she put it on. It wasn't so much the white that annoyed her, in fact she rather liked it. It was the pink! When she opened her own business, she promised herself, that would be the first thing to change.

She couldn't help her cheeky response, "It's hideous, and you know it," before softening slightly toward him, "...but thank you. For the compliment before, obviously not for that one."

As she slid past him into the diner, she thanked him for opening the door before replying nonchalantly, "yeah, yeah, I think I've been here once before." The server behind the counter instantly caught sight of her and called out to her by name.
"Kim!"
"Hey Tony," she replied cheerfully, before looking up at Carter to explain, "I know Tony from the Soup Kitchen...Also, I get sent to pick up the boss' lunch every second day...Also Tony and I went out once-so what are you thinking of getting?" she quickly slotted in her question after divulging too much again. She couldn't help it! It was as if Carter had turned off the filter from her brain to her mouth! She wanted to tell him everything, and she couldn't for the life of her understand why.

He grinned at her cheekiness and had to admit, to himself at least, that she was right. Still, it had given him a few thoughts of what it would be like to unbutton it and expose her soft breasts but he couldn’t tell her that. One day, perhaps, but certainly not now. Turning, he followed her into the restaurant, chuckling with the man behind the counter called out to her in a way that indicated he was clearly familiar with her.

As the words rolled from her lips, which he found himself staring at a little too pointedly, he almost missed that last part. Blinking, he looked from her to Tony and back again, his smiling slipping slightly. It was an unconscious move on his part, one that telegraphed his emotion in that moment far more than he would have liked. He was a man of great control but hearing that tidbit had caused a growl deep within his chest. One he recognized instantly.

“I…have no idea” he finished lamely, causing another growl in his chest. Where was his damn control when he needed it. “I can figure that out once we sit but first, I’d like to meet your friend”. Having said that, he moved around her and approached the counter, forcing a smile to his lips. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Tony” he said, holding out his hand. “I think it’s great that you both volunteer at the Soup Kitchen. I was telling the Kim the other day that I need to give my time more but I just never seem to make it a priority.”

Kim winced as Carter responded. It was as if she'd waved a red flag in front of a bull. His words to her were only half sincere, as his eyes focused on his target, and walked toward the counter. She mentally kicked herself for saying anything at all. She took a bit of a breath as he stuck his hand out to Tony, but she knew better than to mistake his small gesture as a good sign. She'd seen enough psychology-based tv shows to know that secretly he was sizing Tony up.

As Tony finally caught sight of Carter, he put down the cloth he was using to wipe the counter down with and extended his own hand in a warm greeting and a friendly smile. "Oh, hey man, good to meet ya."

"Tony, this is Carter Davis," Kim said as she made introductions. She was just about to explain how they knew each other when Tony's eyes widened with recognition.

"No. Not THE Carter Davis?" he asked shaking Carter's hand even more. "I've been following your portfolio, man. I can't believe your company just bought the Whitman Estate!"
Kim cleared her throat gently, quietly signaling to Tony that maybe he'd better let go of Carter's hand. "Oh, of course, sorry," he apologised as he finally let go of Carter's hand. "Please," he responded a little jittery, "let me show you to a booth," he suggested as he rounded the counter and stepped down from the little platform, revealing his real height to be just a few inches shorter than Carter.

Tony showed them to a booth, completely starstruck, and gave them each a menu before disappearing out the back. Kim, a little bewildered by Tony's reaction, apologised. "I-I'm sorry about that..." She couldn't help but look at Carter with new eyes. Had she missed something? Something vital? Was Carter even more than the sexy, hunky, savvy businessman that had swept her off her feet? Was he...known?

Carter accepted Tony’s hand and shook it, even managing not to squeeze the hell out of it, though his instincts were to do just that. This wasn’t a pissing contest though, and he retained enough sense to remember that Kim had said they’d only dated once, so he was able to resist. It took control though. Immense control which, thankfully, he had regained. He smirked with Kim rushed to introduce him, having caught on to his initial reaction. The submissive in her was coming out more and more, drawn by his dominant energy.

What he hadn’t been expecting was Tony’s reaction. Instant recognition came across the other man’s face and Carter groaned internally. While he got recognized outside of the business circles occasionally, he hadn’t expected to be recognized here. “Uh, yea, that’s me” he said, almost humbly. “I’m pretty excited about that acquisition too.” Following him to the table then, Carter was thankful Kim’s interruption had distracted Tony from following up that discussion.

He settled in across from Kim and picked up a menu, wanting a few minutes to collect his thoughts. That didn’t happen though as she soon apologized for her friend’s behavior. Putting the menu down, he reached across the table and took her hand, giving it a squeeze. “Don’t apologize. It happens from time to time. Your friend clearly follows the investment market. Outside of that arena, I’m not very well known.” It was true too; while he had his fans, Carter wasn’t so rich and powerful that he was known throughout the world. Within his smaller world, yes, but not the global one.

Picking the menu back up, he turned it towards her. “Since you’ve obviously been here a few times” he smiled to soften the words “maybe you can tell me what’s good here. I’m more a meat eater than a salad man but I like just about anything good. What would you recommend?” He kept his hand on hers for a moment longer and then released it, drawing his fingers across the back of it.

Relieved by Carter's response, Kim took a shaky breath. Sure she wasn't up on all the latest trends, but she liked to believe that she knew enough to know when someone was famous or not. It took her a few moments to actually realise that Carter held her hand across the table. It made her cheeks colour to think that she was already used to his touch, perhaps even wanting it. His gentle but firm hold on her told her she was safe, secure.

Taking a finger from her free hand, she gently ran it down the menu until she reached the steak options. "See, that's where we differ. I'm normally the type to get the salad. But I hear they do a really good flame-grilled cut, with a peppercorn sauce." She looked up at him with a slightly quizzical expression as he released his hold on her. "But something tells me you've already made your mind up," she said, rather than asked. "Yet you ask for my opinion anyway..."

Secretly, she was already missing his touch on her hand. Though a small gesture, it seemed to make her whole body hum. She sat back a little in her seat to try to recover, and distance her mind from how her body was responding. "I have to admit, you intrigue me, Mr Davis."

He cocked his head when she spoke, a small smile forming. Oh, he’d made his mind up alright but it had nothing to do with the food. His gaze locked with hers as he waited for her to finish, the smile growing. When she finally finished, he took a sip of a glass of water that had been left for both of them. “Your opinion is important to me” he said, his gaze locked on hers, heat swirling there. “As for making up my mind already, that isn’t the case where lunch is concerned.”

His words were mysterious, and he’d intended them that way, especially given her last statement. “I intrigue you?” A single eyebrow arched as he said it and that smile widened. “I hope that’s a good thing and will make you want to get to know me a little better because I know I’d like to get to know you more”. The smile was flirty now and he reached his hand out again and ran a single finger down the back of her hand then teased his fingertips against hers. “Now, pick your food, woman. I’m hungry” he said, his voice having a mock gruffness to it.

One word came to mind. Charming. He had it in spades. And it fit him like a glove. Kim could tell that his particular brand of flirting was something he'd spent time perfecting. It came to him with practiced ease whether he realised it or not. Instantly picking up on the double meaning behind his words, her pulse raced when he finally told her the words she'd longed to hear. He wanted to spend more time with her. Wanted to get to know her. And he wanted her to reciprocate.

A slight giggle escaped her lips as she smiled back at him, and allowed him to play with her fingertips. His change in tone did nothing to change the mood, and she laughed as she thought he was doing his best alpha-man impersonation. "You can't tell me what to do, Sir," she replied cheekily, sticking her tongue out between her teeth slightly. "Tony!" she called out to the back room, not so subtly letting Carter know she'd decided on lunch.

"Oh, and, I'd like that. You know, to get to know you better," she let him know in a softer tone, leaning over the table slightly as Tony appeared.

That giggle got to him first, causing a warming in his chest, but when she said Sir every nerve in Carter’s body fired to life, almost drawing a moan from his lips. His control didn’t slip although he did feel himself tighten down below, which made him smile. Yes, he would enjoy hearing that word flow from her lips more often. When she was done calling for her friend, she spoke again and he eagerly ate up every word.

When their orders were taken, Carter leaned across the table, bringing his face closer to hers, their lips almost touching. He stared into her eyes then licked his lips softly before speaking. “Then we should talk about dinner for another night” he murmured, his voice low, meant for her ears only “or perhaps something else for our second date.” As he said it, he raised one hand and drew his fingers lightly across her lips, tracing them, then smiled. “A play perhaps…or a stroll in the park…whatever your heart fancies, milady” he said. The word was an old one, but spoke of gentle manners, and it fit her in that moment.

The urge to kiss her was strong, so very strong, but he resisted, wanting that moment to be someplace more private than the diner, where an ex-date could see. Slowly he pulled back, heat smoldering in his gaze, and smiled softly.

Though Carter remained suave and collected, Kim could see the spark that had ignited in his eyes as they spoke. She wasn't sure yet if it was her cheeky attitude or her open nature, but she was sure that she was having an effect on him, despite the fact he was better at hiding his emotions than she was.

Kim nearly melted like putty in his hands when he leaned in close to her and suggested they go for a second date. She smiled softly as he suggested dinner, and an inner heat emerged as he casually stroke his fingertips over her lips. He hadn't hesitated, hadn't asked, just did what he wanted to her, which sent a delicious shiver all over her body, for reasons she didn't understand.

But all his words faded into a hazy fog when he suggested they go see a play together. It was something she had been bugging her friends to do for years, but with no luck. Desperately trying to suppress a gasp of excitement, she bit her bottom lip subconsciously. "A play? Really? You'd want to go see a play? Together?" she whispered in a tone of surprise, rather than questioning him.

As Carter sat back, he caught the flicker of emotions that crossed her face, gone as quickly as it came. His move with his fingers had done something to her, though she probably didn’t understand why. He did though and it made his own inner heat boil even more. Submissive women came and went but to find one that intrigued him on multiple levels was rare. Kim did though and he liked that. A lot.

That feeling grew when he saw her do something that always got his heart beating faster, biting her lower lip. Even better, he knew she hadn’t done it on purpose, which added to the allure. He cocked his head as he listened to the excitement in her voice. “Well, I suppose we could each go separately and just happen to sit next to each other in the theater but that seems like an awful lot of work just to hang out” he said, his voice completely deadpan. Then he broke until a big grin. “But…if that’s how you want to handle it…I’d be willing to go along. This one time, at least. After that, I insist that we attend as a proper couple the next time.” The words were said lightly, almost playfully.

Before anything more could be said, Tony returned with their food, setting their plates down in front of them and lingering for a second, his eyes darting between the two of them. Finally, Carter thanked him and the man got the hint, disappearing back behind the lunch counter to help other customers. Giving her another smile, not waiting for a response, he dug into his steak, taking that first bite. “Mmm, delicious. You have good taste, Kim” he murmured between bites.

Kim instantly cracked at his joke, laughing heartily and sincerely. It was the response she wasn't expecting, and it was at that very moment that Tony decided to return with their food. As he lingered, Kim wondered if Tony was expecting her to tell him the joke. But as Carter thanked him, subtly dismissing him, she realised the dynamic had changed between her and her friend. Kim was no longer the beta, having been dumped by Tony after one date, but rather Tony was the beta against Carter. She smiled, loving the new high ground, and tucked into the chicken salad she'd ordered, her usual.

"Oh good! I'm glad," she said before gently changing the tone. He had after all said that this was to get to know each other. "So, Mr Davis," she started playfully, "have you always been into investing and business building?"

Her laugh was contagious and Carter couldn’t help smiling the entire time he ate. As he did, she dug into her salad and he’d sneak a peek or two, watching her dig in with gusto. That made him feel good; he’d never gone for the type of woman that picked at her food. Eat like you meant it, he thought, and Kim did.

He could feel Tony’s eyes on them but Carter ignored the man, sending the not so subtle message that the only thing he cared about in the restaurant was Kim. Anyone else was non-existent. When Kim spoke again, he cocked his head and stopped his hand halfway to his mouth.

“Actually, no” he murmured, his voice low, making eye contact again. “I spent 4 years in the military, in a Special Forces unit, mostly serving overseas. Joined right out of high school.” He didn’t say any more since most of his missions were classified and he suspected she’d realize that. “The military made the man I am today. When I got out, I needed to find something to do with myself and I’d always been good with money. I’d had a fair amount saved up from my service time and invested it. One thing led to another.” He finished his bite then, waiting for her to talk again.

Kim thought he was joking at first, and she waited for the punchline. But as he continued, it started to make more sense. In the few times they'd met, Carter appeared as though he took great pride in his appearance, from the way his hair was styled, down to the clothes he wore. That was a trait that the military often pressed onto their officers. And Kim had remembered the night they'd met, Carter had made sure she got on the bus safe, but even as they were standing there he had seen or heard something that she hadn't, and had tensed. "Wow..." Kim responded, hand midair, fork full of food. "That's amazing. Not a lot of people can bounce back like that. I mean, some people have a hard time finding themselves after the military, particularly when they've seen action." Kim seemed to fade at that last comment, but only because three of the regulars at the Soup Kitchen were military men. They'd been to war and had come back broken, struggling to find their fit again after it.

She realised she'd been staring at the table, and mentally shook herself out of her slump. "So," she asked brightly, "if you don't mind me asking, what was your first investment? Something close to your heart? Something you'd always wanted?"

Carter listened as she spoke and nodded at the truth in her words. Many of his buddies back then had not made a solid transition back to civilian life. It was hard to do the things they’d done and seen the horrors they’d seen and then return to the real world and act normal. Many ended up on the streets, hospitalized, or back in the military. “You’re absolutely right. I watched many of my friends struggle when they got out. I struggled some too but through the help of some friends I met when I got out, I pulled through.” Those friends were part of the community, it turned out, and helped Carter realize what kind of person he was. Once that outlet was revealed, accepting himself, and transitioning back to the world, became a piece of cake.

As he took a few more bites, not wanting to let his food grow cold, Carter thought about her question. Finally, he was ready to tell her. “My first investment was in a sex toy company. It was a huge risk but I’ve always had an eye for the unusual and at the time they were the first of their kind. You’ve probably heard of Adam & Eve? They are big in mail order now.” He took a sip of his drink, gazing at her, waiting to see her reaction.

Kim's heart broke a little as she heard Carter talk about his friends in the military. It was a lot easier to distance herself from the issue when it came to helping out at the Soup Kitchen. She wasn't entirely certain if she'd be as calm and collected if it were people she actually knew or were close to. She wanted so badly to just run to him and take him in her arms and hug him until the pain went away. But changing the subject seemed much more socially acceptable.

As he told her his first investment she nearly choked. Which made her blush bright red. In her little mind, Kim had always considered herself fairly liberal and open minded to such things, so to have such an uncontrollable physical reaction shocked her. She reached for her glass of water and immediately started apologising. "I'm so sorry! I'm not-I-I-mean I, oh shit, I just wasn't expecting - n-not that I'm against....just...good for you! That's just so great?"

At this point Kim was babbling, and the only thing she could put it down to was the fact that she was more innocent than she realised, and talking about sex toys with someone she was so attracted to, set off a physical response in her that she couldn't control. She felt like a teenager again, and was just so embarrassed she put her head in her hands and stared at the table, wishing she coul hit the "undo" button.

Back
Top Bottom