Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Most Potent Brew

OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
The Wizards Tower Brewing Co.- a craft brewery known for it's hoppy summer ales- is in fire need of help and has placed ads on notices on local job boards asking for adventures.

We open in a local inn. It is stuffy and hot inside. The bar is serving drinks at half price.
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Kiyoko and Jordin had just made an agreement to head into the bar. The local brewing company seemed to have some trouble presently, and Kiyoko had made it a point to see if they could help out in some way. What better thing could they be rewarded with than a few free drinks afterall. Even though it was probably not needed, Jordin had called upon a few old friends to come along. Brynn and Malin would soon join them.

Jordin was a former soldier and not entirely the sharpest when it came to making the smart choices. Kiyoko was almost the exact opposite of Jordin as she was not strong at all, but her constant studies had made her very smart. Malin was the healer of the lot while Brynn tended to wander around on the border of doing things legally and would frequently find herself at odds with others since her moral compass was a bit.. misaligned. Through her military service, Jordin had met and become friends with both Malin and Brynn. Kiyoko was the odd one out here as she was on a 2 year mission to explore the world around her.

Thinking that they needed to start somewhere, a discussion had come about that they would try to pool their resources together and start to solve the problems of others. Before settling in, the women would start to inquire about who needed help as well as what they needed to do.
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
As you enter the tavern you are assaulted with the scent of alcohol. Upon taking a moment to adjust to the change in lighting you are approached by the innkeeper.
He asks your group upon seeing your gear and clothing if you would be interested in discussing a job over a few drinks.
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Former military women offered free drinks, how could they say no to that? Kiyoko being the voice of reason (or a total buzzkill) would remind them not to go too overboard as they were about to hear this inkeeper out. "What do you need?" Kiyoko would try to get to the point. With the other three more interested in enjoying their drinks, it would seem that Kiyoko would be the one to negotiate the terms of any work with the inkeeper.
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
You begin to be negotiate. The innkeeper has offered you 15 gold a piece to do the job. (Do you attempt to raise the rate for your work?)
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
He explains to kiyoko that the local owner of a brewery has recently begun renovations on the cellar of his brewery. He says that the owner had suffered an infestation of giant rats upon knocking down a wall. The owner of the inn states that Glowkindle the owner of the brewery was desperate for help. And that he needed it soon.
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Kiyoko figured that she could probably negotiate the rate up higher. Though the innkeeper was probably not the one she should be talking to for that. Instead, Kiyoko would simply accept the offer. Though for Kiyoko, the most important issue would be where the brewery was. Being raised and trained inside of a mage's tower for the most part, Kiyoko was unfamiliar with her surroundings. The rest of the women probably knew where the brewery was, but Kiyoko figured it was better to know too much than not enough.
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
The innkeeper is grateful for your agreement to help. He explains that Glowkindle lives about two miles away on Brewers hill. You only have to follow the dirt road to reach it. He then offers you to allow you to stay in the in for free for the night and you can set out in the morning.
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
With that, Kiyoko secured a job for tomorrow. Now it was time to relax a bit with the rest of her group.
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
As the sun rises over the rooms your party slept in you feel a sense of excitement. You begin to pack and discuss your plans. You know you should probably attempt to reach the brewery by noon. A slight sense of fear also fills your party at the thought of what might be waiting for you...
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
The road is HOT. But the distance is small so you reach the base of the hill with no problem. You see a large shape run out of a hole in the ground. It looks like a giant rat.( Please roll a d20 for a wisdom check. ) You and your party are supposed.
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
With Kiyoko able to keep the rest of the women in check, the night went by fairly uneventfully. It was around 8am when the ladies all gathered to set out. Save for Kiyoko herself, the rest of the women had been accustomed to marching so the trek would be within their means. The sun was out and the clouds were offering no respite for their travel. Thinking there was no sense in waiting, they head out along the path.

Jordin would lead them, followed by Kiyoko, and then Brynn and Malin slightly behind her. The other three women walking in somewhat of a triangle around Kiyoko as they reached the base of a hill. Both Malin and Kiyoko would notice something was off. Malin (15+5=20) and Kiyoko (12+4=16) would try to focus their attention more while the other two tried to figure out what had startled Malin and Kiyoko.
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
Malin and kiyoko both realize what is coming. A giant rat. Known for its aggressive behavior and bite that could travel five feet the party prepares for a fight.( Your party goes first.)( Roll for attack=d20+base attack bonus +Str modifier)
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Jordin and Malin would move out to directly intercept the Rat. Kiyoko would stay where she had someone between her and the rat as Brynn would try to move out to get a better angle on the rat to attack from. As the other women advanced toward the rat, Kiyoko could be seen using her staff to cast Shocking Grasp.

Attacks -
Jordin: 14
Malin: 21
Brynn: 24
Kiyoko: 18

Damage - (assuming they hit, which I do not know)
Jordin: 9
Malin: 4
Brynn: 4
Kiyoko: 7
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
The rat explodes due to the force of the attacks. Upon it's death you notice a strange smell almost like potions.
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Could I use Investigate (Kiyoko), Perception (Brynn), or Insight/Medicine (Malin) to try to figure out what the smell is?
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Kiyoko would have a smell that was unfamiliar with her start to get her attention. 13 to check what the smell could be.
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
The smell reminds you of a growth potion you once smelled. Mabey that's why the rat is so big? You take a moment to wonder what a growth potion would be used for at a brewery.
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Kiyoko would explain to the rest of the women that this rat seemed to be affected by a growth potion. As Kiyoko was the only one to negotiate the job with the innkeeper, Kiyoko had suggested that they would be seeing a fair number more of these things when they arrived at the Brewery.

Looking around, specifically to see if there were more of these things in the immediate vicinity. If nothing was spotted the women would fall back into their formation and start to make their way along the path to the Brewery.
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
No more rats appeared. You see the brewery in the diatance. The sign reads " Wizards Tower Brewing company. For the best ale in the land!" You approach the door.
 

freeko

Star
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
With the group making the trek through the path without any more incident, Kiyoko would recall that she was looking for Glowkindle. At least that was who the innkeeper had said she should be looking for.
 
OP
M

Moon Usagi

Moon
Joined
Feb 3, 2019
You approach the door and knock. The door is answered by a short man wearing black trousers, a white shirt and suspenders. His beard was almost dwarf like in appearance and his ears spoke of a non human heritage. This is Glowkindle. He invites you inside and asks you why you are here while pouring you a glass of his famous ale. You notice he looks very worried.
 
Top Bottom