Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Three Kingdoms - OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed I always seem to miss the roleplay's little bursts of activity.

Sorry, that's my scedule. It's been kinda all over the place lately.

Raidan must be on here 24/7 in order to catch me as much as he does :p

well it's Night's turn largely until the groups hook up with each other. I'mwaiting for the right time to show up and do that myself.

Sorry, I kept getting held up with my post. Would get a few lines done and then had to go take care of something offline.

I wrote this up a short while ago, need to get the encyclopaedia organized before I stick it in there so I'm dumping it here for people to see. Basically, I was asked to explain Etana's military structure and after thinking about it for awhile and taking into consideration current character histories, this is what I came up with. Hope you like it and that it's clear enough to follow. As always. If you have any questions, just ask.
----------------------------

Etana’s Military

Etana’s military has always been made of volunteers, which there is never a shortage of. King Etan I was crowned as much by popular demand as by any of his own political manoeuvring. The people of Etana felt that Vaskaan’s theocratic regime was oppressive and Nordrik Etan was the man to lead the charge against their would-be religious masters. Since then, the same loyalty to the crown has kept young men and women flocking to become soldiers. The military hierarchy generally follows the kingdom’s social hierarchy put in place by the Great King back in the early days. A person may be born into nobility, but their actual rank and influence is primarily dependant on performance. For example, a Baroness’ son may be given the rank and title of Viscount if he shows exceptional competency on the battlefield.

The ranks, in descending order, are: King/Queen, Duke/Duchess, Count/Countess, Viscount/Viscountess, Baron/Baroness

The King/Queen has absolute control over Etana. Below them the Kingdom is split between two Dukes/Duchesses. The Dukes/Duchesses divide their Duchies between two or three Counts/Countesses, who may then grant control over segments of land to Viscounts/Viscountesses. Barons/Baronesses hold the smallest portions of control, and in many cases this title may denote members of nobility with no real power over the land, but still political/military influence.

In a military sense, this translates to: King/Queen issues orders to Dukes/Duchesses who issue orders to Counts/Countesses. Except in extremely rare circumstances, Counts/Countesses are the highest rank one will ever see in the battlefield. The Counts/Countesses give orders to the Viscounts/Viscountesses. Nobles of this ranking are the ones most often seen leading attacks and overseeing other major battlefield operations. They issue orders to the Barons/Baronesses who then lead groups of normal non-nobility.

Children of the King/Queen are referred to as Prince/Princess. Although treated with respect similarly to if they were King/Queen, they have no actual power of their own and may not issue royal orders unless stated otherwise by the King/Queen.

People are eligible to enlist in the military at the age of sixteen. Nobility are expected to enlist as soon as possible. A person of noble birth who refuses military service risks losing their title and power. Mages are an exception. They may serve from the age of 13 provided they have shown the dedication and talent enough to make it to at least second year classes in the magic guild. Students of Magewood are a further exception. Given the history of Magewood and the infamy of its entrance exams, one is considered skilled enough to fight the moment one becomes a student at Magewood, regardless of age.

Soldiers are split into infantry and cavalry (also known as knights). Remembering that Etana encourages education into the magical arts, it is not surprising to find many soldiers know a little magic; however, one must realize that combat training and magic training both take a great deal of time and dedication. One cannot truly be a master of both in a single lifetime. That is why there is a separation between soldier and mage.

Magewood also carries with it the special prestige of being Etana’s “special forces”. If a major battle is brewing, the King may send word to the current Archmage that his people are needed. It is not uncommon to find Magewood students acting in the same fashion as magic guild students in military operations: either providing magic support for a group of soldiers, or acting in a mage only group, separate from standard cavalry and infantry. When the Archmage is given the royal order to join battle though, it becomes a rare and, to many people, utterly terrifying event. The Archmage closes the school and leads the teachers and senior students into war. The Archmage answers directly to the King and no other, a tradition that has continued since the days of Esker and Nordrik. This elite magic unit acts in a similar fashion to Esker’s Midnight Shadow: autonomous, uncompromising, and destructive. People who know anything about history, and value their lives, flee when they see this coterie of black cloaked figures enter the battlefield. Of course, by then, it may already be too late to run.

Since the signing of The Treaty of Ferazi, the fear of all-out magical warfare has subsided. Soldiers still patrol the borders and occasionally make forays into the Dead Plains, but never as far as the Red River. Covert operations are still carried out: mostly intelligence gathering, but sometimes more aggressive actions as well. Half the army is still housed in Southfield, with the other half split evenly between Kassan and Blackstone. No troops have ever been stationed in the village of Magewood. The mages there tend to keep the peace their own way.

--------------------
Etana’s “Police Force”

The military includes guards which act as peacekeepers and local law enforcement. It is comprised of mostly non-nobility and some Barons in leadership roles. In larger rural areas, the guard would be overseen by a local Viscount, although the main cities of Blackstone and Kassan ultimately answer to a Count. Southfield is big just because it is the military headquarters, other than being a massive garrison and training ground, it is mostly a farming community with low population density. The guard force there is overseen by a Viscount who lacks any real political pull.

Magewood has no official guard force; the people there police each other in a way similar to a massive neighbourhood watch. Troublemakers aren't arrested: they either "choose" to leave town, or they just disappear. The whole town is, in many ways, an independent city-state loyal to the Etana crown with no official leader of its own (although most people naturally assume the Archmage runs the show from the shadows). The place is largely a mystery and has been since it was created.

I probably should have explained this sooner, but I'm doing it now for the benefit of anyone who may be considering joining the game and may be confused trying to read the story thus far.
The way my multi-posts work is I use colours to distinguish when different characters are talking. If the post only has one person talking I won't bother to colour it.

Character's Colours:
Cal
Sean
Melaina
misc. bad guy voice #1 (this will be used by a number of temporary enemy NPCs)

Alrighty, I may adopt that strategy if I add a second character. Also is the unofficial format

Night Walker
Player
Player
Player
Night Walker?

I appreciate that Night walker wants to provide good posts and all but 31 hours between them is a bit much. Imean it doesn't take that long to think of a post, sometimes it's best to just start writing and let it flow instead of trying to think and think on it without doing anything.

I appreciate it too, that's why I'm hoping two characters will come across each other so we can lighten his post load.

Sorry for the delays, the fact is I've been trying to get ready to go out of town. My partner and I are leaving for a week on vacation to Paris today.

Sorry guys, I'll pick it up when I get back if you haven't lost interest.

And where is NW from? A Week is NOT thise long anywhere in the world! Geezus. I hope he didn't forget us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom