Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The City of Iron (Pathfinder)

RedDaniT

Planetoid
Kriedsvael
The City of Iron
latest

Sorry If any of this has typos. I'm working on my phone. This is also my first ad for a game here, so if this sucks, I did something wrong, or this is just WAY too much info, I apologize. Also sorry if any pics are giant or tiny. Again, it's hard to tell on the phone.

System:
Pathfinder, all Paizo books allowed in addition to Path of War. Some classes will be better fits than others, but all are open to conversation. However, races will be restricted to human, at least at the start...

Tone, content and Notes:
This one is gonna get gritty. I'm taking a good deal from many of my favorite fantasy novels, as well as my knowledge of history for this one. Think of Kriedsvael as a sort of mashup of historical Russia, Germany, Britain and Scandinavia, with some of the traits of Rome and Athens, set in a world that's a sort of cross between Joe Abercrombie's First Law books and Berserk. That said, it's going to be very light on supernatural material at first. Some of the more bizarre classes might have a hard time finding a natural spot here, but everything is on the table if we can find a creative way to do it. The world is going to be a mostly amoral one, probably best for characters somewhere between LN and NE on the alignment spectrum. You could try to be good, but you might have a pretty rough go of things. I plan to start you out as criminals, after all. And no one likes CE. Just saying. Slavery will also be a thing, engage in it, abolish it, be enslaved, that's gonna be on you.

Obviously, this is a fantasy world, but I'm looking to create a tone of very low fantasy, similar to stuff like Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire. So there should be an element of realism in character building. I may put a low level cap on things, E6 style? But I'm not sure yet. There are things I could do to make it cool at higher levels. The game is going to have some early missions directed by me, and some things will happen no matter what you do, but I'm leaving the planning loose, because I want it to feel a bit sandboxy. I'll also be introducing more factions than the two I have presented here, but I didn't want that to be the a whole day's work.

Now, I haven't talked a ton about sexy times RP yet, and for good reason, as it's not going to be the primary focus, but I still expect smut to be a good bit of it. You could seek it out and any time, and I plan to include plenty of chances for it in the narrative. Personally, I lean towards FxF pairings with heavy BDSM content, but I'm down to play almost anything. I can do things for others. I'm nice like that! Anyone with any tastes that could feasibly happen in the setting can apply. But talk to me if it's something you think I might be hesitant about, and consult my F-List. Though, one of those things is there because I have no desire for it, but I could still play it out. For others, respect their wishes at all times, and all site rules apply.

Also, it should be noted that this will be a very harsh world, and therefore many people may be real jerks. They may have awful viewpoints, and you may meet people who are terrible sexists, racists, homophobes and other things I hate. I in no way am happy that any of those things exist, and would strive to never present them in a positive light, unless that is something that is EXPLICITLY a desire for a player experiencing it in a sexual context. But people are complicated, and in a nasty setting like this, I didn't want to shy away from any of that.

Setting: Kriedsvael is a city situated atop hills rich in iron ore, and placed between the sea and a series of tall, nearly impassable mountains. It is somewhat isolated geographically, and this has resulted in its technology and culture evolving at a somewhat slower rate than the rest of the civilized world. While the rest of their continent has progressed into enlightenment thinking, Kriedsvael if still firmly feudal. They control a fair degree of the surrounding lands as well, but the farming and weather conditions have always been such that expanding further beyond the mountains, or establishing a naval empire hasn't been an option. But in the current age, they are finally modernizing coming further into contact with the surrounding lands through the maneuvers of their Queen, Sofia. Due to the fear of the populace, magic is a strictly regulated and loathed art. The only practicing mages are supposed to work directly for the government, but this has been difficult to enforce. There is a thriving underground in the mage clans of The Twisted Knot. Religious magic is more common, but also on a tight leash.

Royal Family

Ruler: Queen Sofia Vaerhoff “The Bladed Rose”
704c7b0fdff0053ca236c6a494209e0c--dark-queen-red-queen.jpg
When elderly King Lukas VI finally passed away from his wasting sickness, it was initially his longtime counselor Evon, not his young queen, who was expected to bare the burden of rule until his infant heir came of age. But on the cusp of his first council meeting as regent, he mysteriously disappeared. The queen was only sixteen at the time, but she had been raised amongst the intrigue of nobility and groomed to be a cunning politician from a young age. Thus, rumors of her involvement have always persisted. Nevertheless, over the course of her nineteen year reign, she has proved herself a capable, if ruthless, monarch. Not content to slowly milk the rich veins of ore that have long sustained Kriedsvael, her first act was to empty the prisons and put the criminal population to work in the iron mines, expanding them at a historic rate. Even minor crimes in the city still carry the penalty of hard, often lethal labor, and new charges are often invented by the various foremen to keep prisoners deep underground until they're worked to death or uselessness. Still, these measures have increased the wealth of the city-state dramatically, first from the crafts created by the ore itself, then from the trade treaties she was able to negotiate using them as leverage. Under her rule, Kriedsvael is not only difficult to assail because of its geography, but because it is simply too valuable to lose as a trading partner. Queen Sofia has capitalized on this by suggesting to anyone who will listen (including several known spies) that if anyone were to attack the city for its mineral wealth, those that come to her aid would receive dramatic favoritism in future dealings. Since her son has become an adult, there have been some in traditionalist quarters that have suggested she abdicate and allow him his rightful place. Many find this a terrifying thought, however, as they worry that Prince Lukas is far more concerned with his own pleasures and appearance than he is with the administration of Kriedsvael. The Bladed Rose has given no indication that she intends to vacate the throne.

Heir: Prince Lukas VII
ba38c6b88314f67d0db447dfe426ab09.jpg
Notoriously vane and prideful, Prince Lukas is nonetheless a force to be reckoned with in certain respects. A fierce competitor at sporting events such as horse racing and fencing, he's prodigiously talented at both. His handsome features have also created a great deal of notoriety. This has aided his mother in attempting to find a political match for his hand in marriage. However, such efforts have been stalled by the dark rumors of kidnapped young ladies and abused prostitutes in the night. On a personal level, he seems content to simply enjoy himself for as long as possible.

Younger Son: Prince Erik “The Wight”
05727f47432743.587a473a85d2c.jpg
Supposedly conceived very shortly before the death of King Oskar, there are whispers that the albino the people of Kriedsvael derisively call the Wight is not actually the old King's son. He's certainly little like his brother. Quiet, introspective, but very quick to anger and displays of fury, Prince Erik carries with him a sinister edge. He's studied warfare heavily and is said to be an exceptional archer, and his hands are undoubtedly stained with blood. When bandits have arisen in nearby farmsteads, Erik has often insisted on leading the guard out personally. His tactics in dealing with such outlaws, typically the sort sent to the mines, includes grisly acts such as crucifixion and breaking upon the wheel. Regardless, he has some sympathizers in the nobility and the guard who would prefer him as heir to his brother.

Advisor: Lady Nataly Rosearde
36830907dd2503f7d21e40bab3e1aa9f.jpg
Amongst the foreigners whom the queen has periodically brought in to aid in the modernization and and industrialization of Kriedsvael, Lady Nataly of the kingdom of Evarte to the east has been both the most successful, and longstanding. Through her connections, gunpowder has been made available to the people of the Vael for the first time. Though, thus far, firearms are still rare, dangerous, and mostly considered a novelty in the area. Some in court believe her to be a spy, which may have some truth to it, but if so, it's an arrangement the Queen seems comfortable with.

The Twisted Knot

The Twisted Knot is less an organization, or even a faction, and more a sort of republican order established amongst many different such organizations. Broadly, the three largest threads of the knot are the thieves, the assassins, and the mages. Those are broad classifications, and some are more specialized gangs, but generally, these folk stick to their own. Within those groups, there are dozens of clans. For centuries, the clans tended to keep to themselves, then slaughter each other when there was competition. More recently, Speaker, a mage who's services had often been purchased by different thief clans, formed a small coalition of different clans that eventually spread to the whole city. Individually, the clans still have their vendettas, blood feuds, and backstabbings. However, the knot provides a place where some petty squabbles can be dissolved over drink and entertainment, and votes that concern all of them can be handled by the chosen representatives of each clan. Interestingly, both historically and during the modern era, the different threads of the knot get along swimmingly compared to the different clans within each thread. This is most likely due to the relative lack of competition.

Speaker: Fayrlo Amardi
fcb1b9b000e8709b4be45a89d3633328.png
The new head of the alliance of the city's cobbled together bands of thieves guilds, assassin's guilds, and secret magic practitioners, Fayrlo took the pseudonym of his predecessor as his own title. Thus far, he's been extremely competent. Though, some seem to think he's been using the position to enrich himself far more than the first speaker ever did. He claims to have big plans for the Knot. In person, he's coy and self effacing, cool in the face of pressure, sarcastic, and willing to compromise to make whatever deals he can. Some have accused him of being “bloodless” compared to Speaker, but that's only from those who didn't witness his rise up through the ranks of the Quiet Dogs assassin clan. Those who did don't speak of him much, but don't dare question his methods. According to tales, his noble mother and father fled the land of his birth, the southern metropolis of Beloevenda for hoarding collected taxes from the emperor.

Faith:

While there are other deities in the world, two are most associated with Kriedsvael.

The Lawgiver, Raghsvare LN
An ancient deity from the people who inhabited this area long before the Vaelfolk, his religion has been a useful one for those in power, as his faith is founded upon a natural order, submission to one's superiors, and the honoring of commitments. He is depicted as a skeletal judge.

The Smiler, Walast CN

A demonic dragon trickster, and the patron of the Twisted Knot. Not a terribly cruel god, but capricious, greedy, and sly. He preaches cleverness above all. He is depicted as a burning, smiling dragon.

Crunch and Character Flavor:

1st level, 20 Point Buy, 2 Traits +1 per drawback taken to a maximum of 2, Human only (for now), nature based characters may not get a ton of love, magic is persecuted. You may play a member of the Knot, or an associate. Even a noble if you feel like, but be ready to get your hands dirty. They don't have to all start out as buddies, but you likely know each other. If you can find others willing, put yourselves in a clan together, maybe. Could be fun.

Rolls will be on the honor system. I won't be a jerk about it if you don't. Be mature. Even death isn't the end in games, and is sometimes awesome.

All characters start with the following feats, because I hate feat taxes and the people who make them! And I mean, come on. Everyone can hit stuff harder.

Weapon Finesse

Power Attack

Point Blank Shot.

I'm sure I'm leaving things out, so feel free to ask about whatever. I'm likely going to want 3-5 strong roleplayers. I don't need huge posts all the time, but I would like every post to advance things, even if it's just a conversation, and I enjoy fleshed out character concepts. Wow me with them.

I am still waiting on the ruling of Deadly Aim being allowed instead of Power Attack before I can even start to work on my character concept. The basic idea would clearly revolve around using ranged attacks. Then again I could see an issue if I had both Deadly Aim and Point Blank Shot at the start for free. If I had to choose, I would certainly take Deadly Aim.

I think I might just go with a fighter class, and perhaps this might also tie into Ippo's concept as well. @ippo , if you are interested I would like to work with you on this.

Been working on her, or at least the wizard version and sort of waiting to hear back about the Rogue Archetype, but the PFSRD is just not being friendly tonight. Still... might join the nobility club, I remember a Lesser Noble trait... could be fun coming from a background of those members of the nobility who are looked at as a little odd... often as they call on the things below the city, whispering secrets from the blood drenched stones...

She definitely seems to work as a noble, especially with the kind of focus on learning that comes from not having responsibilities. I'm sure one of the other characters could play a bodyguard/personal attendant for her. If not, I probably could as well.

Oh, her family has responsibilities, though many mock them and claim they are but empty boasts. But for what reason do they check signs wrought of iron and silver, for what do they on strange nights steal a criminal sentenced to death to a place where the shadows writhe and whisper, for blood and screams to weave the net tight, to have the music of screaming souls keep that which lurks below asleep?

How much of that will be cannon is up to our fair DM of course... but if you are going to have a LN mystical noble family in a place like this? May as well go for as creepy and serious as possible.

Freeko, unfortunately, since Deadly Aim isn't really a feat tax, nor would it be an intuitive ability for people in the power attack is, nor is it something that a ranged attack has as an absolute necessity in the same way melee folks need PA, I'll have to rule no on Deadly Aim being a free feat. But it totally makes sense to ask, and it was a good question.

Kckolbe, All of those classes look awesome. I've played an Empyricist before, and she was bomb as all hell. It feels cool knowing that as long as a situation isn't about killing something, you're going to be best at it.

Ippo, like I said, final call on people I've got hopping in tomorrow (at some point, since I'll let everyone here polish up their concepts) so there's definitely still room. And I think having someone with ties directly to another character is a great way to start things out. Means less typing for me when you and that person generate RP with each other ;)

RPG-Girl, I don't think I mind the Researcher archetype. Though, because the vast majority of what you're likely to fight for a long time will be human, I'm sort of letting you skip out on its only drawback...but what the heck? I'm feeling friendly, and that doesn't sound that unbalanced. And you lose uncanny dodge, which hurts a bit. For the creepy bits you've laid out, I'm mostly down, but they may need tweeked a bit. And it may be the sort of thing you've always been taught, but haven't really "witnessed" the need for, if that makes sense. You might even have cause to doubt your family's teachings. Or not. Up to you. I'm just spitballing here.

@RedDaniT Glad to hear it! I've started narrowing things down and picking certain classes based on concept.

If a noble type, perhaps a less creepy family than RPG-Girl's, then the Ranger Dandy for a more traditional family.

If part of the Knot, the Rogue Eldritch Scoundrel works very well as a merchant class mage, and the Fighter Child of War for one who turned to magic after less privileged upbringing.

Finally, the Cardinal Cleric seemed the best concept for a second son groomed by the church.

What drawback? As it is, she won't be changing her ability scores as they are placed, as despite the fact she is a Rogue... she is a scholar that is trained in the basics of eldritch rites and magic. Sure, she does not have access to her rogue talents to get some SLA's... and speaking of. Possible for her to take Minor and Major magic multiple times? She's also going to take the Bookish Rogue feat, so she's basically going to moonlight as a mage anyway :p

Add in her occult rituals... she believes the family does have its reasons... but she is not yet taken in to told or taught the full lore. She still needs to prove herself, and far too many of her cousins have failed the final test for her to be entirely sure of her success.

On the one hand, a fertile family. On the other, far too many go insane and seem to suffer... accidents.

Kckolbe, I feel like you've definitely got a read on the sort of direction I'm leaning towards. I will say that I want everyone to have a connection to the Knot at the beginning, even if you're not a member of a clan directly. But a reason, at the very least, to be present for one of their gatherings.

RPGG, the drawback you would skip out on for the most part would be the fact that you can only use sneak attacks on something you've identified using your knowledge skills. But becasue most enemies will be human, it won't really be an issue. And after consulting with the Paizo boards, I have no isse with you taking minor and major magic multipe times. I doubt that would break anything, or feel unbalanced.

Yay! As it is, would say that they should just give additional 'slots' as with this feat I can swap around spells as needed so long as she has slots left in the day and she has the spells in her 'grimoire'.

That said, possible to use a Rogue talent to grab a 2nd level spell once per day? And possible, if we are doing something similar to E6 to take an 'epic' feat to get a 3rd level spell (Only once, and once per day)? Sure, most of her higher level things will be rituals anyway... but there would be a few things (largely divination and abjuration spells) that may be useful.

Looked it over... and to be honest? Even if she only gets the 0 and 1st level spells, she will do the rest via rituals and specific rouge talents.

As of right now, I'd say no on that rogue talent, but I might sit down and be able to house-rule a few other things for you. Or perhaps I'll sit down and figure out a decent level as a requirement for it at some point. Who knows? But I wouldn't build with that in mind. However, I am willing to rule that Minor and Major Magic can be applied to the same spell multiple times.

Would say for the second level, if you reconsider later, at about level 6? Same time as sorcerers would be getting their 3rd level spells, though for 2nd and 3rd perhaps make it so they cannot be swapped with Bookish Rogue, but at the same time, even if you never allow it... she'll go going for Occult Rituals anyway and some other rogue talents :)

If I get there, I'll probably ask around on the boards for what other people think. I have a pretty strong array of system knowledge, but homebrew is not my strong suite as a GM.

Well, will mention that there is the Demon Lantern and Gloom Magic talents, first gives a single target hypnotic pattern that also casts light as a torch once a day, and second gives two uses of darkness that do not impair casters sight (both 2nd level spell effects) and Greater Gloom Magic, which is a Deeper Darkness (3rd level spell) effect that does not impair casters vision once a day.

Based on when those become available, if we use the Gloom Magic line? 3rd and 5th level for the effects respectively, so would say it would be more a matter of tailoring available spells she can choose... and ultimately up to you as the DM :) As it is... several of the mystical talents allow work arounds though :D

On second thought, I think I'll pass this one. It looks like fun, but I might not be able to juggle it and other stuff. You all have fun!

I would love to throw my hat in if there's still space. Are you allowing the expanded version of Path of War or just the vanilla? I'm planning on adapting a character I used in a similarly low-magic campaign; a Warlord with the Steelfist Commando archetype. I'd probably play her as a rowdy, hard-drinking brawler that makes her living fighting in backroom brawls while occasionally doing work for the Knot when they need muscle.

Speaking of feat taxes, what's your opinion on Combat Expertise? I know some folks regard it the same as PA and the others while some other folks like it to balance out combat maneuvers. Personally I don't like it but I figured I'd ask about it.

Yeah, I think we absolutely still have room. And the expanded version is cool with me. I'll even give you a bit more time to flesh it out, since I'm feeling VERY under the weather today, and not quite ready to kick things off. Sorry for the delay, everyone.

Edit: Sorry, I don't think I read all of your post. Screw you, sick brain! I could see the argument for Combat Expertise being a feat tax, but really only for certain builds, and I don't think it's an intuitive ability people would have. So I'll rule no, there. But I like where your head is at.

Also, Warlord is the coolest. But Bannerman ftw.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, but no rush. I don't think we are waiting on a start yet, still haven't built my char.

Neither have I, mostly because I am not wanting to overlap with someone else and basically be the same thing as another player. About all I have in mind right now is likely some manner of dexterity/ranged based fighter. However, this brings up the idea of guns. Would they be allowed?

As far as I'm aware, no one else is leaning towards a build like that, so feel free to go nuts. And yes! They would. But hard to get your hands on. I would expect a very interesting tale about how you received one ;) recovery is progressing, but still mostly bedridden. Will continue to update.

Dani officially the first woman I am trying to get *out* of bed.

So we have a noble (RPG Girl), a down n dirty fighter (Snail), a gunsmith? (freeko), and a former slave in Okatama. Looking good for my second son noble (Dandy Ranger of Cleric Cardinal)

:ROFLMAO:

Also, been communicating with another over PM. Working on a sort of radical mage involved in the slave trade. Which would technically make 6...but I like the looks of all you folks. So, I think I'm ok to say that this will probably be the group I roll with. And if anyone else wants to join, we'll wait and see if there are any dropouts. Sound good to everyone?

Back
Top Bottom