Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The City of Iron (Pathfinder)

RedDaniT

Planetoid
Kriedsvael
The City of Iron
latest

Sorry If any of this has typos. I'm working on my phone. This is also my first ad for a game here, so if this sucks, I did something wrong, or this is just WAY too much info, I apologize. Also sorry if any pics are giant or tiny. Again, it's hard to tell on the phone.

System:
Pathfinder, all Paizo books allowed in addition to Path of War. Some classes will be better fits than others, but all are open to conversation. However, races will be restricted to human, at least at the start...

Tone, content and Notes:
This one is gonna get gritty. I'm taking a good deal from many of my favorite fantasy novels, as well as my knowledge of history for this one. Think of Kriedsvael as a sort of mashup of historical Russia, Germany, Britain and Scandinavia, with some of the traits of Rome and Athens, set in a world that's a sort of cross between Joe Abercrombie's First Law books and Berserk. That said, it's going to be very light on supernatural material at first. Some of the more bizarre classes might have a hard time finding a natural spot here, but everything is on the table if we can find a creative way to do it. The world is going to be a mostly amoral one, probably best for characters somewhere between LN and NE on the alignment spectrum. You could try to be good, but you might have a pretty rough go of things. I plan to start you out as criminals, after all. And no one likes CE. Just saying. Slavery will also be a thing, engage in it, abolish it, be enslaved, that's gonna be on you.

Obviously, this is a fantasy world, but I'm looking to create a tone of very low fantasy, similar to stuff like Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire. So there should be an element of realism in character building. I may put a low level cap on things, E6 style? But I'm not sure yet. There are things I could do to make it cool at higher levels. The game is going to have some early missions directed by me, and some things will happen no matter what you do, but I'm leaving the planning loose, because I want it to feel a bit sandboxy. I'll also be introducing more factions than the two I have presented here, but I didn't want that to be the a whole day's work.

Now, I haven't talked a ton about sexy times RP yet, and for good reason, as it's not going to be the primary focus, but I still expect smut to be a good bit of it. You could seek it out and any time, and I plan to include plenty of chances for it in the narrative. Personally, I lean towards FxF pairings with heavy BDSM content, but I'm down to play almost anything. I can do things for others. I'm nice like that! Anyone with any tastes that could feasibly happen in the setting can apply. But talk to me if it's something you think I might be hesitant about, and consult my F-List. Though, one of those things is there because I have no desire for it, but I could still play it out. For others, respect their wishes at all times, and all site rules apply.

Also, it should be noted that this will be a very harsh world, and therefore many people may be real jerks. They may have awful viewpoints, and you may meet people who are terrible sexists, racists, homophobes and other things I hate. I in no way am happy that any of those things exist, and would strive to never present them in a positive light, unless that is something that is EXPLICITLY a desire for a player experiencing it in a sexual context. But people are complicated, and in a nasty setting like this, I didn't want to shy away from any of that.

Setting: Kriedsvael is a city situated atop hills rich in iron ore, and placed between the sea and a series of tall, nearly impassable mountains. It is somewhat isolated geographically, and this has resulted in its technology and culture evolving at a somewhat slower rate than the rest of the civilized world. While the rest of their continent has progressed into enlightenment thinking, Kriedsvael if still firmly feudal. They control a fair degree of the surrounding lands as well, but the farming and weather conditions have always been such that expanding further beyond the mountains, or establishing a naval empire hasn't been an option. But in the current age, they are finally modernizing coming further into contact with the surrounding lands through the maneuvers of their Queen, Sofia. Due to the fear of the populace, magic is a strictly regulated and loathed art. The only practicing mages are supposed to work directly for the government, but this has been difficult to enforce. There is a thriving underground in the mage clans of The Twisted Knot. Religious magic is more common, but also on a tight leash.

Royal Family

Ruler: Queen Sofia Vaerhoff “The Bladed Rose”
704c7b0fdff0053ca236c6a494209e0c--dark-queen-red-queen.jpg
When elderly King Lukas VI finally passed away from his wasting sickness, it was initially his longtime counselor Evon, not his young queen, who was expected to bare the burden of rule until his infant heir came of age. But on the cusp of his first council meeting as regent, he mysteriously disappeared. The queen was only sixteen at the time, but she had been raised amongst the intrigue of nobility and groomed to be a cunning politician from a young age. Thus, rumors of her involvement have always persisted. Nevertheless, over the course of her nineteen year reign, she has proved herself a capable, if ruthless, monarch. Not content to slowly milk the rich veins of ore that have long sustained Kriedsvael, her first act was to empty the prisons and put the criminal population to work in the iron mines, expanding them at a historic rate. Even minor crimes in the city still carry the penalty of hard, often lethal labor, and new charges are often invented by the various foremen to keep prisoners deep underground until they're worked to death or uselessness. Still, these measures have increased the wealth of the city-state dramatically, first from the crafts created by the ore itself, then from the trade treaties she was able to negotiate using them as leverage. Under her rule, Kriedsvael is not only difficult to assail because of its geography, but because it is simply too valuable to lose as a trading partner. Queen Sofia has capitalized on this by suggesting to anyone who will listen (including several known spies) that if anyone were to attack the city for its mineral wealth, those that come to her aid would receive dramatic favoritism in future dealings. Since her son has become an adult, there have been some in traditionalist quarters that have suggested she abdicate and allow him his rightful place. Many find this a terrifying thought, however, as they worry that Prince Lukas is far more concerned with his own pleasures and appearance than he is with the administration of Kriedsvael. The Bladed Rose has given no indication that she intends to vacate the throne.

Heir: Prince Lukas VII
ba38c6b88314f67d0db447dfe426ab09.jpg
Notoriously vane and prideful, Prince Lukas is nonetheless a force to be reckoned with in certain respects. A fierce competitor at sporting events such as horse racing and fencing, he's prodigiously talented at both. His handsome features have also created a great deal of notoriety. This has aided his mother in attempting to find a political match for his hand in marriage. However, such efforts have been stalled by the dark rumors of kidnapped young ladies and abused prostitutes in the night. On a personal level, he seems content to simply enjoy himself for as long as possible.

Younger Son: Prince Erik “The Wight”
05727f47432743.587a473a85d2c.jpg
Supposedly conceived very shortly before the death of King Oskar, there are whispers that the albino the people of Kriedsvael derisively call the Wight is not actually the old King's son. He's certainly little like his brother. Quiet, introspective, but very quick to anger and displays of fury, Prince Erik carries with him a sinister edge. He's studied warfare heavily and is said to be an exceptional archer, and his hands are undoubtedly stained with blood. When bandits have arisen in nearby farmsteads, Erik has often insisted on leading the guard out personally. His tactics in dealing with such outlaws, typically the sort sent to the mines, includes grisly acts such as crucifixion and breaking upon the wheel. Regardless, he has some sympathizers in the nobility and the guard who would prefer him as heir to his brother.

Advisor: Lady Nataly Rosearde
36830907dd2503f7d21e40bab3e1aa9f.jpg
Amongst the foreigners whom the queen has periodically brought in to aid in the modernization and and industrialization of Kriedsvael, Lady Nataly of the kingdom of Evarte to the east has been both the most successful, and longstanding. Through her connections, gunpowder has been made available to the people of the Vael for the first time. Though, thus far, firearms are still rare, dangerous, and mostly considered a novelty in the area. Some in court believe her to be a spy, which may have some truth to it, but if so, it's an arrangement the Queen seems comfortable with.

The Twisted Knot

The Twisted Knot is less an organization, or even a faction, and more a sort of republican order established amongst many different such organizations. Broadly, the three largest threads of the knot are the thieves, the assassins, and the mages. Those are broad classifications, and some are more specialized gangs, but generally, these folk stick to their own. Within those groups, there are dozens of clans. For centuries, the clans tended to keep to themselves, then slaughter each other when there was competition. More recently, Speaker, a mage who's services had often been purchased by different thief clans, formed a small coalition of different clans that eventually spread to the whole city. Individually, the clans still have their vendettas, blood feuds, and backstabbings. However, the knot provides a place where some petty squabbles can be dissolved over drink and entertainment, and votes that concern all of them can be handled by the chosen representatives of each clan. Interestingly, both historically and during the modern era, the different threads of the knot get along swimmingly compared to the different clans within each thread. This is most likely due to the relative lack of competition.

Speaker: Fayrlo Amardi
fcb1b9b000e8709b4be45a89d3633328.png
The new head of the alliance of the city's cobbled together bands of thieves guilds, assassin's guilds, and secret magic practitioners, Fayrlo took the pseudonym of his predecessor as his own title. Thus far, he's been extremely competent. Though, some seem to think he's been using the position to enrich himself far more than the first speaker ever did. He claims to have big plans for the Knot. In person, he's coy and self effacing, cool in the face of pressure, sarcastic, and willing to compromise to make whatever deals he can. Some have accused him of being “bloodless” compared to Speaker, but that's only from those who didn't witness his rise up through the ranks of the Quiet Dogs assassin clan. Those who did don't speak of him much, but don't dare question his methods. According to tales, his noble mother and father fled the land of his birth, the southern metropolis of Beloevenda for hoarding collected taxes from the emperor.

Faith:

While there are other deities in the world, two are most associated with Kriedsvael.

The Lawgiver, Raghsvare LN
An ancient deity from the people who inhabited this area long before the Vaelfolk, his religion has been a useful one for those in power, as his faith is founded upon a natural order, submission to one's superiors, and the honoring of commitments. He is depicted as a skeletal judge.

The Smiler, Walast CN

A demonic dragon trickster, and the patron of the Twisted Knot. Not a terribly cruel god, but capricious, greedy, and sly. He preaches cleverness above all. He is depicted as a burning, smiling dragon.

Crunch and Character Flavor:

1st level, 20 Point Buy, 2 Traits +1 per drawback taken to a maximum of 2, Human only (for now), nature based characters may not get a ton of love, magic is persecuted. You may play a member of the Knot, or an associate. Even a noble if you feel like, but be ready to get your hands dirty. They don't have to all start out as buddies, but you likely know each other. If you can find others willing, put yourselves in a clan together, maybe. Could be fun.

Rolls will be on the honor system. I won't be a jerk about it if you don't. Be mature. Even death isn't the end in games, and is sometimes awesome.

All characters start with the following feats, because I hate feat taxes and the people who make them! And I mean, come on. Everyone can hit stuff harder.

Weapon Finesse

Power Attack

Point Blank Shot.

I'm sure I'm leaving things out, so feel free to ask about whatever. I'm likely going to want 3-5 strong roleplayers. I don't need huge posts all the time, but I would like every post to advance things, even if it's just a conversation, and I enjoy fleshed out character concepts. Wow me with them.

Great read, and I am definitely interested. Could you explain what you mean by an E6 style cap?

Thank you! I really appreciate it. So, E6 functions off of the old tabletop idea that based on what we see him do, Gandalf, in a high fantasy setting, was probably just a 5th level wizard. At a certain point after 6th, the game just stops being even remotely relateable. But the most powerful IRL human being could probably accomplish what a 6th level Fighter can in d20 stuff. So, E6 is a way to keep it low fantasy, keep it threatening, and keep it relateable. The level cap is set at 6, with some flexibility to give certain classes abilities they would normally get at 7. But your advancement continues, because at certain XP milestones, you still get more feats. But you don't ever become a superhero. Again, I'm not married to the idea, but it's one way to keep it gritty.

I might try this, it looks like an interesting setting... and so many dark mystical possibilities if your willing to let me go occult ritual and tap into the... darker side of things. And no... will not go the demons and devils route... mostly. There are far worse things to call in a setting like this, if one gets... creative.

Okay, definitely interesting. I agree with the concept, yet I like leveling up. It just feels good, but it's far from a deal-breaker. Admittedly, I was thinking of a bard or rogue who pretends to be a cleric to get around the magic restriction, or a noble (still bard/rogue) who dabbles in magic because he can (family purchased a license to practice, perks of wealth and connection). Either way, it would be a way to explore being an arcane wielder in a setting not friendly to such types, without going overboard since high level spells would never be learned. With pathfinder, there are other options, of course (bloodrager or magus for example), but magus is too strong and bloodrager too lacking in skills.

I very much like to play off the ideas of others, though, so am not "nailed down" on this concept.

RPG-Girl, I look forward to seeing what sort of devious things you're planning!

Kckolbe, I think it's a strong start, at the very least. And between you both and a message I received...how did I know that by making mages oppressed that I was going to end up getting alot of magical concepts? Not that I mind :geek:.

Likely going a generalist Wizard... or if you would allow the Researcher Rogue archetype from Sandy Petersons Cthulhu Mythos can do the full Occult Ritual angle.

Otherwise... going to go one of the nastier versions of the Generalist Wizard, that of the spell researcher. Sure, others may leverage more raw power... but when one can spin and weave the arcane strands into a grand tapestry for it mixes and blends so many of the threads? Let them keep raw eldritch power... I will weave a shroud about my foes, little hooks that kiss and bite, even as they act according to the rituals design.

Well, I certainly appreciate where your head is at! Haha. Are you saying you're just interested in learning all the spells you can, or is Spell Researcher an archetype or something I'm unfamiliar with?

While I'm fairly sure someone made an archetype called that... what I have in mind is, well, something like an inventor of spells. Sure, all wizards are able to copy already existing spells into their spellbooks but arcane magic is a science and an art in one. If the wizard merely copies spells into their tomes, they do no better then people who can do things by rote repetition, they are simple technicians.

The spell researcher? They seek to understand, to create, to delve into new fields and fill books with spells they developed. To be sure, others have good ideas... but the truest test is to create new spells.

Its the difference, though in real life I'm one of the former, between executing programs with minor alterations at best with writing new programs from scratch yourself.

A spell researcher could be a very viable concept (I don't know the mechanics of the class) given how difficult it would be to find existing arcane spells and get them into your spellbook.

Also, @RedDaniT, we could go with 3 different types of magic dabblers, as that would give us a reason to work together and still allow for party diversity, but I am comfortable playing something else as well.

In my opinion, party balance is a fool's game. Make something you love, and then worry about the mechanics. I'm GM. I can come up with things that challenge my players. Party cohesion and everyone plaything things that will make everyone feel cool and unique, and capable of working together, is far more important.

And after some quick research of my own, I did turn up this Archives of Nethys post on making spells. Certainly alot to digest, but it could be fun.

Designing Spells

Fully agree on party balance, but I do think it's important to allow distinct identities and a bit of variation. Mechanically, though, what does it take to disguise an arcane spell as divine?

To most people? Nothing. They don't know what magic looks like. Maybe a good bluff to lie about it after? To someone who knows what they're looking for? Not sure off the top of my head. Though, it's possible that during advancement, something to accomplish that might be found or created.

I'm curious. Does that mean you would be trying to sell yourself as part of the clergy of Raghsvare?

I was actually toying with the idea of either making up a god that doesn't exist, a complete fabrication, or picking one that has been referenced in historical texts and pretending to worship him. My character, as a bard or rogue, would have the knowledge to back up such an esoteric selection, and I believe he could choose or create a god that was non-threatening to the people of his society. Basically, it would be the equivalent of being Zoroastrian in a Christian society. It's different, but so closely tied and so minor as to just be a curiosity.

If there's still space for one more, I'm interested! I'm very experienced with ttrpgs, but have only played one short game of Pathfinder. If that's a deal breaker for more veteran Pathfinder players, I get that :) Character-wise, I was thinking either a fighter or ranger - a former slave now fallen in with the Twisted Knot. Or, if the party is going to be mingling more with the upper classes, perhaps a ranger or rogue spy character.

With great, great difficulty, I'm afraid. Due to the grimdark setting, I'm likely to be constantly placing everyone in morally compromising situations. And the rest of the party would be likely making decisions that a paladin would be honor bound to prevent.

Definitely loving all the interest! And I'm still waiting to see who all ends up throwing their hat in the ring for this one. There's still room. I'm probably gonna leave it open til Monday and take my favorite 3-5 on, since that's the earliest I can begin. I'm not that worried about experience. I can answer any questions on the finer points of the system. Fighter would be an easy fit absolutely anywhere, and all parties should have one. However, I will encourage you to look at Path of War classes. They're a 3rd party supplement that I really enjoy. Basically, they allow a martial character to play the way a wizard does, preparing different combat maneuvers that do amazing things. It's an attempt to bring those classes on par with magic casters in terms of power. It doesn't, but it brings them far closer to a well built wizard. There's also going to be an arena, so if you wanted to be a pit slave, that's totally something that could work. Ranger is a bit tougher because this is lilely to be more urban than not. But there is the Urban Ranger archetype, which is cool! Spy is also good. Will really depend on you. The cool thing here is that I'll be able to tailor the missions to the party, so you don't have to do it the other way around.

I've always felt that the basic construct of a ranger looks like an aristocrat fighter. Good attack bonus, decent health, good skill points, and a bit of magic. All the nature shit ruins the concept, but mechanically, it does work.

Thanks for being willing to work with someone fairly new to Pathfinder! I was definitely thinking urban ranger if I went that route, but looking at the Path of War classes, Stalker is exactly what I was thinking of doing - a stealthy, quick fighter who strikes from the shadows and used her speed and cunning (for a fighter) to escape the pit. The ki adds an interesting twist, too. I'm thinking she made a deal with a supernatural entity to give her the edge she needed to be able to escape. I love the theme of power coming with a price, and it would be fun to work that price into her character somehow. Also that fits with everyone seeming to have character concepts with a bit of magic in a low-magic setting haha! A warder would also be interesting - a jaded, bitter former pit fighter who used her tactical mind to fight her way out, and is willing to do whatever it takes to protect "her people," because she was unable to as a pit fighter.

Ah, was wondering if you'd allow me to take The Researcher Rogue from here? By and large, while I may also look to the occult rites and spells... well, a little insanity never hurt anyone, has it? I would be going the bookish magic route, taking talents to gain SLA's, keeping a spellbook, and perhaps gaining access to more advanced spells then normal for the talents... though thats if you don't want me to go primary caster.

Otherwise.... Arcane Crafter and working on both ideas and sheets at the moment... just in case :)

Hmm, would the ranged version of power attack, deadly aim, be useable from the start? I will see what I can manage when I get home after work, since I did not want to do up a paladin just to have it run into these issues you brought up.

Wow, pathfinder has added a ton of new archetypes, and has completely addressed the "aristocrat fighter" aspect. Here is the list of class/archs I am currently considering (depending on what we have): All of these options have decent skill points and would allow some ability to handle intrigue. Almost all have some dabbling in magic without it being a focus of theirs, though only half mess at all in arcane.

Investigator - Empiricist
Inquisitor - Royal Accuser
Ranger - Dandy
Ranger - Guildbreaker
Ranger - Raven Master
Cleric - Cardinal
Cleric - Cloistered Cleric
Bard - Celebrity
Bard - Archaeologist
Rogue - Eldritch Scoundrel
Rogue - Phantom Thief
Fighter - Child of War

It seems I am definitely leaning toward my character being more well off, merchant class at least.

Definitely interested, but I'll only be able to send a pitch in a few hours o3o
[automerge]1547422155[/automerge]
@RedDaniT Hiya fren! What would you say to a character who served as a bodyguard to another?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom