Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Restoration of the Sands

"I don't speak of morals, I meant we only have numbers to our advantage. Besides that, we don't trust each other, nor know what the other is capable of. If Ember just wants cloak and dagger work, fine. But if he demands that I or another woman please him, I'll castrate him and take whatever we need that way."

Khettio weighed the two. "If you're both new to the city, then that means I'm the only one of us to know what to expect."

"Perhaps so then. I'm not adverse to the path of violence but I don't seek it either." He realized that he was standing between two women who both had plenty of aggression to spare, Willow in her calm demeanor that showed little of mercy, and Khettio who had a fiery heart when it came to some matters but he suspected a much more reserved and conpassionate nature in others. In any case trust was a strange thing to expect but as far as these two went he felt comfortable enough with them. The rest of the group he needed to speak with more but their common goal was enough for him to go on in the moment.

He would think for a moment and weigh his words before he added yet another somewhat vague statement. "As for capablilities I'd say that we can't possibly learn such things about each other unless they come up and are needed. I can show you a bow and say that I am an archer but that says nothing of how accurate I may be until you see an arrow fly from it. I will do my part for the group though, at least that much is certain."

Alderdrix sits for a minute longer reading the scroll deciding on the best course of action before sighing and standing up to leave. "We thank you for your hospitality and will attempt to procure those items." He hands the scroll to the cat with him which simply disappears into the either before taking his leave.

"So since all of you decided to leave us in there to plan out here how about you lead us?"

Khettio's jackal ears twitched. "Well, the way I see it, we have two main issues: this Ember wants something in return for the ruby; and there are others trying to get it. If time wasn't of the essence, I'd offer to scry for it."

Kas looks to Alderdrix with a hint of amusement and annoyance in equal measure. "Certainly, we can wander around the city looking for someone we have never met and have no clue where to find if you wish but I doubt that would do any of us good. After all you took the scroll with such directions so perhaps you should share its contents?" He didn't leave to plan out here, he left because he was tired of the planning in there. Did this man listen to nothing of what he said upon his departure?

Alderdrix's eyes narrow and he glares at Kas

"One of us applauds your desire to go out and do the right thing; however, the other remembers how easy it is to trick fools like that. She remembers the sounds of their souls shredding as they enter into eternal damnation and the mountains of rewards granted to her by the lords of hell for people exactly like you. Even the one who applauds you has to admit, much to his chagrin, that doing this for less than the current gem is worth even without the enchantment is probably foolish if one is out for monetary gain. But come let this newly formed group charge head first into the demon's mouth without knowing what sort of people we have, not truly understanding the gifts of the others, and without any real idea of the powers the opposing group, a group which works so well together it is hypothesized they are related. Let us make hast on foot when it would have been such a simple thing to ask for transportation from someone who obviously could have afforded it and would logically do so, we hope you can outrun a horse or camel."

Aderdrix abruptly stops talking and sets out not caring if the others follow.

Last edited:
Well he had some small difficulty in following all the information contained within Alderdrix's speech, immediately jumping to the conclusion that the desert sun had baked the poor man's mind to insanity as he spoke from two perspectives. Of course at the same time the speech was the complete opposite of everything Kas himself embodied and there was now clear and concise anger upon his otherwise fair features.

When Alderdrix finished his tirade and spun to leave Kas looked to the two women beside him as his hand idly reached for one of the blunted arrows within his quiver, debating simply knocking this madman out and leaving him to remain someone else's problem, but he decided against it for the moment as he simply spoke to the others. "Well off to a good start, hope nobody was relying on this job to succeed or they will be sorely disappointed. I don't know about you two but I'd rather take my chances wandering the city than follow whatever that thing is before us." Who asks for a mount just to ride around town anyways?

"Why are men so stupid?" Khettio muttered as she watched the two men in question argue. She stormed up to Alderdrix to bar his path.

"Listen, I don't know what the deal is with men, but if you want even a ice cube's chance in the desert of getting this job done, then you have to at least pretend to play nice. And if that won't happen, then I'm taking your share of the reward."

"Then, by all means, do not follow me I was going to an inn anyway to find someone to buy me a drink." He turns to Khettio "We are sure that it is because we have a cock that we are stupid; however as you so quaintly put it, if you want an ice cubes chance in the desert of succeeding then I would suggest instead of blindly jumping into things you use some forethought and planning. Do you know what we are capable of? Our histories? Our talents? No, we do not know that of you either, why would anyone decide to do something dangerous without any knowledge of who they are with or what they are up against? We were being nice when we called your blatant idiocy foolish there are many other words we know which would better fit the description. Now either come with me or not it is your decision. We are after things far more valuable than money but it is obvious to us that you will never be able to understand nor are you willing."

He continues forward.

His shadow has transformed into that of a succubus who is currently attempting to attack both Khettio's and Kas' shadows respectively.

Khettio shrugged, flabbergasted. "Then why did you even come?" she shouted after him. "Of course none of us know each other yet; we just met! If you walk away, then you never will know how we can work together!"

Frustrated, and unwilling to play the life coach to someone she didn't know, she stormed back to Willow and Kas. "Men are so stupid!" she said out loud this time. "Forget about him. I'm taking his share of the reward."

Truly this was indeed some form of madman they were dealing with and not soneone that should have ever been a part of this group in the first place. Unfortunately Kas had watched Alderdrix take the scroll with their ditections for meeting Ember upon it so they could either let him walk away and speak to Mara about this incident and hope she actually knew enough to tell them all too or he could turn aggressive and attempt to knock this imbecile out and take the scroll so that the rest of them could still partake in this mission as it were.

He was just about to reach down and nock a blunt arrow when he saw Khettio's shadow shift and paused. She didn't seem to be aware of it herself so the logical jump in his mind was that it was something to do with Alderdrix that might explain his madness as it were. He didn't know what type of being he truly was but he thought better of his anger again as she returned to them, after all he had told them where he was going so the rest of them could gather and track him down if necessary.

"You realize that I am indeed a man Khettio? I know we have a reputaton for androgeny but I had hoped it was obvious." It was hard to tell if she was upset with him somehow as well though he was assuming that most of her ire was directed towards the now disappearing Alderdrix. He sighed openly at the whole situation and did what he could to brush it off and return to his typical aloof self but he couldn't quite forget so easily. "Well I guess I'll go break the news to Mara and see if she can simply tell us where to go instead. If not then at least we know where the fool is to track him down."

At this point he would reenter the building assuming there was no issue with that and retrace his steps to the waiting room where thw others still were. With a look of frustration only barely concealed he spoke up in as polite an interruption as he could manage. "So do you typically hire individuals who take your directions and leave the group to go get drunk? I'm afraid that Alderdrix is quite mad and appears to manipulate shadows or the like. After a little tirade he left and said he would seek someone to buy him a drink. Not exactly the best start to a job but I suppose it could be worse." He leaned against the doorway as he spoke and watched to see her reaction.

"No, I'm not--" Khettio sighed and pinched the top of her nose. She didn't get to tell Kas that her frustration wasn't directed to him in particular before he went back inside. "So, Willow. What are your plans when we find Ember?"

Knocking on the door again, Kas would find the Elven slave again, showing some momentary surprise to see him back so soon. But without a word she stepped aside, letting the archer back in and lead him back to Mara, who was enjoying some of the wine in the room they just left. Again, surprised to see him so soon, but the young woman sat and listened, giving a slight sigh at it all. "To be honest, this is my first time, why I let Geraldi pick. I hope that you can learn to work together, if not, then just let me know of any changes in the team."

She takes another sip of her drink before glancing to the slave standing just behind him. "Iris, take note please." Then refocused back on Kas. "Ember is currently residing at the 'Golden Oasis' it's an inn and bathhouse, he's always at bathhouses. You can find it just off 'The Golden River' in the merchant quarter." Setting her glass down she nodded to the Elven Slave, Iris apparently, who in turn handed out a little bit of parchment she just finished copying the directions down on.

He listened and made a mental note before he was handed the parchment. He smiled and spoke in thanks. "Ah Iris is it? Was intending to ask upon our return but now I'm saved the wait. At least one person today is working to lift my spirits." He smiled genuinely and turned again to regard Mara in an attempt to not upset her. "For my part I am trying to work together, but even I have my limits."

He gave a small bow and returned outside with parchment in hand as he set down his sack once more and awaited for everyone else to be ready.

Leaving with the others and remaining fairly quiet as the others spoke and argued, Ana placed a hand on her chin for a moment, looking to Kettio. "Well, at least you're pretty normal." She spoke, rubbing a hand against her temple for a moment before sighing out. "Okay. This can be salvaged." Almost speaking to herself, she looked to Kettio and Willow, shaking her head. Kas and the other man were certainly capable of testing patience a bit, but she knew that everyone here was a stranger and there was probably some mutual uncertainty going on. "So, any good news?" She asked, turning back to Kas as he returned, taking the time to lean back against a nearby wall so as to keep a more relaxed stance.

Making his way from the homes of the nobility to the Gold River, the great bazaar of the city doesn't take long, even in the occasionally maze like layout of the ancient capital. Walking the bazaar the shouts of merchants would fill the air as hundreds of people sought to sell their goods, from foods to weapons to 'genuine' relics, one could find anything in The Gold River if you looked long enough.

In Alderdrix's case, finding the Golden Oasis proves to be little trouble, high end establishments like this making themselves very visible around the sprawling market. In the Oasis' case, the building stood out as a white stone building in a sea of sandy brick, with a pair of water features either side of the door. Entering he would find the noise from the market quickly drowned out, more so than the walls should have allowed. There was a small seating area where a few customers sat and drank, being tended to a mix of attractive men and women of various races, all dressed in well fitted white robes, cut to keep their arms bare, some of their leg and a little chest, revealing yet not too far.

Behind the counter is a Dwarven Woman with short red hair, wearing a more intricate white and gold dress, likely the owner. "Ember? Aye, he's expecting company. Right now he's downstairs in room 5, the one with the Half-Orc fella standing guard."

He held the parchment up and nodded at the question. "Indeed, The Golden Oasis inn and bathhouse on the Golden River. I hate to say it but we might run into Alderdrix there as well, he did say he was going to an inn specifically and I'm not sure that's a coincidence. Still we probably shouldn't waste any more time if it can be helped." He had no clue of his way around town but he figured it shouldn't be that hard to find the way, plus Khettio at least claimed to be from around here so she likely knew where the building in question was. He was more than ready to move out if everyone else was but unlike Alderdrix he wasn't going to leave them all behind.

Alderdrix goes downstairs to meet the Half-Orc waiting at the door. "Hello Lady A told us to locate Mr. Ember here we do believe he is expecting us." He smiles his most charming attempting to look non-threatening as is possible.

"That boy-whore!" Khettio shrieked when she realized what had transpired. "If he's going straight there, then he plans to come back for the reward all to himself!" Her tail bushed and seemed to vibrate in rage. Her ears flattened over her head. "Come on! We can't let this stand!" she said, urging them to follow her down the way Alderdrix went.

Giving Alderdrix a quick once over, the guard would step aside, pushing the door open for him. Alderdrix would be hit by a wave of steam as he steps into one of the establishments many private bath chambers, a good sized room dominated by a pool of water set into the ground and decorated with colourful mosaic. There, reclining in the water, lower half obscured by foam and soap was Ember. A dark skinned human man, slender with dark hair and a lithe build, the man would have looked fairly ordinary, attractive, but not unusual, except for the burns. Patches on his chest and face were horribly scarred, where the skin had burned and melted once upon a time and never healed, likely over parts of him had similar scars below the water. The most noticeable spot was a large patch on his right cheek, stretching around to his ear.

Opening his deep green eyes, he looks Alderdrix over and gives a friendly smile. "Ah, welcome, Lady A sent you, a shame she didn't come herself, but I'm hardly surprised. You may call me Ember, I'd get up and shake your hand, but won't embarrass us with that." Out of the water was another man, another slim human man, dressed in the white gown that marked him as staff at the Oasis. Kneeling down he rubbed some ointment on Ember's burns, who hissed a little as it was applied.

"Just to make sure, are you the only one the Lady sent? Would hate to repeat myself for stragglers."

"Oh there are others, they were so concerned with wasting time they left the meeting early without gathering all the freely available information, in there haste they had to backtrack I am here if you would like I will give the information to the others when they catch up so that we do not disturb you too long. Unless you feel the need to wait. One of them is rather money hungry she has already blatantly told me she will take my share of any of this, so I would make sure your valuables are safely stowed away.

If I may be so bold as to ask however we are told there are others after this same item a sibling pair? Do you have any information on them, Lady A only said that it seems they use arcane magic."

Alderdrix seems at peace he is waiting for the other man to decide what to do.

"Tavi and Octavia? I've hired them before, not bad kids really. They do good work, don't leave a trail or bodies to complicate matters. Pretty safe to say Tavi is a Bard, composes songs and uses magic to assist him. You should hear him sing, simply beautiful." Ember explained with a wistful little expression as he thought back on Tavi's playing. A man who enjoyed his music at least.

In the end he elected to wait, not making further comment on how Alderdrix explained events, not here to judge. Only another few minutes would pass before the door would open once again and the rest of the group could enter...

"Got her head in a book any time I see her. Hear she sells potions on the side whenever the two aren't doing one of these sorts of jobs." The slender man gives a shrug. "Past that your guess is as good as mine."

Back
Top Bottom