Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How did you learn of Roleplay?

Long before the PC and when I was a child we created fantasy settings and worlds like an offshoot of basic little kid fairy land play, later in grade school it moved to notes we kept in satchels for the gals, guys hid them wherever, they were pretty risque for our age, middle school it kept on and a few of us grew it a bit further, more complex, occasionally adding in such things like drawing a card to decide a turn of events etc. That coincided pretty close to D&D coming out and the guys kinda went that way except for me. I enjoyed the creative worlds and the lack of the luck of the dice, of course it required a very good partner which I had and in HS, we really started to RP Heavy, all in notes yet and there were tons, pages and pages and reams of notes now kept to a certain form and size... a few years after HS, I didnt have an RP Partner but I kept writing alone and not sharing the writings except on occasion. I think I did it to keep the characters alive so to speak, then in 94 I got a computer, hit the talkers and MUDS, stripped down a MUD and linked it to several talkers and carried on! Did a little html based RP Chats too along the way, but text has always been My thing. So I guess for Me, RP Is just an extension of kids play that I never let go.
Smiles as I invite you in and let you gaze into the portal beside me, the cool stone wall sweats as the portal swirls and you get a glimpse into what could be, what might be, what awaits you if you would let yourself be sucked in Life is one long RP and fantasy can become reality, if you let it!
(and ... Mellow Yellow, you aint old My friend! LOL)

What an interesting thread, with so many ways people have been teased into a world of roleplaying. Interesting!

My entry into roleplaying was a boyfriend I had who played D&D. The crystal dice and roleplaying was so fun, and I was shocked to find out that I had a big geeky streak in me. Later I met my husband at a D&D table. It was after the internet came around, and after a few rough starts, I started doing some writing. And I've met a lot of great (and some not so great) people along the way! IRC chat rooms, Yahoo 360, email and so on, and now Blue Moon. :)

I started participating in roleplaying when I was maybe thirteen or fourteen. I found a poorly made forum (they did they're best, we were all young) made a character, and just jumped right in. I've yet to play D&D, but it is on the list of RPing I'd like to try.

I honestly don't remember it exactly. It could be because I was searching for sites where I could improve my writing and stumbled on rp'ing because of that.

Started roleplaying a long time ago in an online game. I didn't even realize it was roleplay at first and 'just went along with it' until I realized what a fun way to add depth to the game it was. This turned into an interest in reading more books which, in turn, led me to write more and seeking out forums or websites that were purely about writing. Twelve years later, it feels like I've known how to do it all my life but it is worth remembering the beginning since it's everyone's first time at some point.

I learned to roleplay long ago in a very silly online game where we pretended to be knights ( I know. I was young ). It was awkward at first, using * to mark the beginning and end of your action until I got used to it. I realized that roleplaying allowed me to improve on my grammar and vocabulary by learning from others' works, not to mention it allows me to expand my imagination. It saved me the stress that high school and college seems to put on you.

I started off writing one-liner posts on a wolf roleplaying website when I was like, seven. I have no idea how I ended up there.

Man to be honest, I can't really remember. I think it could've been in a game at some point a decent while ago, but I learned to properly write in lengthier paragraphs over discord instead of just stuff like *walks over to [Other Character Name]*

I started RPing shortly after I discovered anime and fanfiction lol. I thought Inuyasha was a dumpster fire and Kagome should definitely try to get it with Sesshoumaru, so I ended up reading a lot of fanfiction, but as is typical of fanfiction a bunch of it didn't scratch the itch or had really inaccurate character presentations, particularly when it came to Sesshoumaru warming to a human woman when he typically despises humans and has only made an exception for Rin-- got tired of reading other people's work and not being satisfied and discovered that people roleplay because I found a fanfiction that was actually a roleplay the writers published as a fic. It was all down hill from there lol.

Yikes - this is a tough one. I think I started using stuff like 321chat and later progressed onto omegle and chatzy. Only over the past couple of years have I moved onto discord and now...this.

I was awful at the start and to be fair, I barely read books so I felt like my written English was nothing great. I find I improved when paired with better partners and through reading (some erotica).

many,,,,,,,,,,,,many,,,years ago, i discovered the old yahoo user rooms, and discovered ,,,others,,,who had a fantasy like mine. eventually a lady tok me under her ,,wing,,and educated me into roleplaying and sex style chat....it as educational in sooooo many ways.

I got hooked up with Sailor Moon/anime fan back when I used Plodigy....I mean Prodigy. 14.6K dial up days. I discovered fanfics and while discussing them with friends we started writing stories together. Then I ran into Doc Droid and he got me into the RP's with sex. We wrote 14+ stories with him playing a villain and me play a Wonder Woman knockoff called 'Ultra Woman'. Lots of sex and lots of great plot/dialogue. After, yahoo groups.

Up until a few years ago, I could still rattle off my Prodigy user ID like it was nothin'. I ended up migrating to AOL after Y2K took down Prodigy (Classic), but it was never exactly the same.

T'was a long time ago during the era of the Burning Crusade of WoW.

I asked my brother why some servers had the RP tag. He said, it's where you pretend to be the character and tell a story.
I foolishly thought; "Oooh, secret game-mode where blizzard gives us a -canon- character with a personalized questline."

i was soooooo confused when i joined an rp server cause i was still waiting for my canon character and personal questline. so i thought, maybe i need to reach a certain level, or maybe it triggers after a certain quest.

But then....I saw them. Deep in the Ashenvale forest, i heard them...plotting. 2 night elves plotting to overthrow their guild leader and take control of their assassin guild (or maybe it was a mercenary guild, can't remember). And i...the noob....said: "r u roleplaying?"

And thus began my journey into the world of writing with my first character. A blind, redheaded warlock with a seeing-eye imp. And she could dodge anything coming her way and was empress of all the demons....*cue the facepalms*

Back
Top Bottom