Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pokemon Interest Check

Information & Characters | Game

wallpaper_generation_6_by_arke.jpg

I haven't had much luck in the past with group interest checks, but I have a lot of ideas, so I'll give it another shot. If you are just skimming this, I will bold and underline important information.

Anyway, the premise of the RP will be that it takes place in a Pokemon universe that is entirely custom; that is to say, places like Pallet Town do not exist and neither do characters like Brock (you are welcome to repurpose canon characters, but if you do so, run it by me). I will design the world and act as the Dungeon Master of sorts, but you are naturally always welcome to give suggestions for setting, story, or anything like that. As that may imply, unless it seems like interest veers elsewhere, we will likely use some form of system for battling and leveling, etc. If that doesn't appeal to you, but the RP does regardless, let me know you're still interested and if it seems like a systems-based RP is less of interest, then we won't do it. I haven't begun creating the universe yet because I wanna see if this is actually something people want to do, but I have a lot of ideas.

The plot and setting will be a good deal darker and more adult-oriented than the canon Pokemon universe. Bad things besides kid gets Pokemon temporarily stolen from him until Ash stops Team Rocket happen. Naturally, smut will be allowed (provided they are of age), but unless it's by popular demand, pokemorphs won't be a part of this. I don't want to spoil some of the plot twists I have planned, so I will only give the beginning concept. Essentially, Pokemon training is not very lucrative (you can think of it akin to a sport or gaming, where it's not very profitable unless you're a pro), but people do it anyway and trainers can get their license at 15. The barriers to entry are high, but the Pokemon League is a dream for a lot of people and fortunately, the last decade has seen a Pokemon Academy arise that teaches prospective rookie trainers how to excel and grants them opportunities. They compete and are given chances to build star reputations for themselves. In that sense, it'll be something like a hybrid between Hogwarts and American Idol, I suppose. Anyway, a handful of students will be chosen for this go-around and those characters will be your characters and the NPCs that I supplement it with.

I don't want to bog this down with too much depth for an interest check, but I will provide a lot of info once I see that people actually wanna do this.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if we should try a hybrid thing. Fate for the trainers, and actual pokemon rules for the pokemon.

I'm liking the world lore, by the way. The only thing I would like to see is some type of system for buying and selling of pokemon.

I’m not sure if there will be a large market for buying Pokémon because it may subvert a lot of the purpose of being s Pokémon trainer. There might be like individual trades and whatnot though.

I haven’t gotten a chance to look over the systems yet. What would the fate system be?

Completely understandable. I can't say it's a major thing for me.

Fate is just a VERY simple system based on dramatics and fluff. I don't think it would work for the pokemon battles, since it isn't a good technical system. Fortunately, the pokemon game system (which is used in PTU) can handle that aspect.

I'm still here! I was out of town for the 4th of July. I got home yesterday afternoon and was just exhausted from too much sunshine and extended quality time with ornery family members. :p I'm all rested up now, should get my character sheet up later today.

Looking forward to it! I am slowly working on mine as well. I am thinking of giving him a theme of Normal type pokemon.

By the way, maybe there could be a REALLY small bonus to choosing a pokemon from the list?

Yeah. Doesn't have to be much. Hard to say what kind of bonus since a system isn't decided on, but that would be a good balance to the freedom of picking whatever you want.

Also, note for Princess Kaylin that I just caught. Saffron City is not a city in this RP; I haven't drafted up the map yet, so you can leave it blank for the time being. Alternatively, you can pick a star you like the name of and name a city after it. Astronomical bodies are the naming scheme for cities and towns in this world.

Shiny doesn't improve a pokemon, does it? Just kind of a bragging rights thing?

Yeah, it'll be a cosmetic thing. I think having stat bonuses would be kind of a steep advantage. I feel like it might be a bit disappointing for a lot of people if we did it that way. If you have other ideas though, I'm open to hearing 'em.

Haha, yeah, it's all good. I'm working on some more of the lore right now; if you like, feel free to peruse what's already there to see what you'd like to tweak here and there. I also added some zodiacs if you guys wanna add another layer of depth to your characters.

Yeah, it'll be a cosmetic thing. I think having stat bonuses would be kind of a steep advantage. I feel like it might be a bit disappointing for a lot of people if we did it that way. If you have other ideas though, I'm open to hearing 'em.

If you were to use the normal pokemon stats, you could give a shitty pokemon like Delcatty +10 to every stat and it would still be worse at lvl 100 than a mid-tier pokemon. It's important to remember that pokemon are NOT balanced. Some are just stronger than others. Every game has 2 stage rodents (raticate, linoone, gumshoos) that seem to exist solely to be an easy kill while farming xp. And it sucks, too, because I think Linoone is a cool-looking pokemon, but it's so weak. And that's not even counting bug pokemon, which hit max form really quickly, making them relevant for about 3 levels before they start holding you back.

Delcatty Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations

Beedrill Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations

Dragonite Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations

Remember that normal types aren't strong against ANY type, by the way.

I'll probably do something to balance the "weaker" Pokemon because I tend to get pretty bummed out when some of my favorite Pokemon get fazed out by their stat ceiling as well. I want people to be able to play to what they like rather than to fixate on stats.

For what it's worth, I'm not asking for balance, just saying that choosing a weak starter and having it buffed would be interesting. It would allow one player to have the strongest team, but another to garner fame as the owner of the league's strongest magikarp or something.

Plausible. I'll have to think about it a bit though. Right now I'm trying to find a good tool in order to make the map because most of the programs online either suck or you have to pay for it.

How much are the ones you have to pay for? If that's what is holding you up, then I'll pay for it.

I haven't really looked into it. I'm sure I can find something that's open source and I have no idea if the ones you pay for will do everything I need it to to start with.

No worries. Let me know if you find one you like and just need to pay. You are putting a lot into this and I really appreciate it.

Some lore questions:
I know there is a big "Olympic"-style pokemon tournament every four years. Would it be safe to assume that every year there are lesser tournaments, maybe intra-regional ones, or something along those lines?

Does the Academy have an age they target for new students?

Are we to assume we've graduated, were we just accepted, etc?

Fluffy, no system has been decided on, so any ideas/suggestions would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom