Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pokemon Interest Check

Information & Characters | Game

wallpaper_generation_6_by_arke.jpg

I haven't had much luck in the past with group interest checks, but I have a lot of ideas, so I'll give it another shot. If you are just skimming this, I will bold and underline important information.

Anyway, the premise of the RP will be that it takes place in a Pokemon universe that is entirely custom; that is to say, places like Pallet Town do not exist and neither do characters like Brock (you are welcome to repurpose canon characters, but if you do so, run it by me). I will design the world and act as the Dungeon Master of sorts, but you are naturally always welcome to give suggestions for setting, story, or anything like that. As that may imply, unless it seems like interest veers elsewhere, we will likely use some form of system for battling and leveling, etc. If that doesn't appeal to you, but the RP does regardless, let me know you're still interested and if it seems like a systems-based RP is less of interest, then we won't do it. I haven't begun creating the universe yet because I wanna see if this is actually something people want to do, but I have a lot of ideas.

The plot and setting will be a good deal darker and more adult-oriented than the canon Pokemon universe. Bad things besides kid gets Pokemon temporarily stolen from him until Ash stops Team Rocket happen. Naturally, smut will be allowed (provided they are of age), but unless it's by popular demand, pokemorphs won't be a part of this. I don't want to spoil some of the plot twists I have planned, so I will only give the beginning concept. Essentially, Pokemon training is not very lucrative (you can think of it akin to a sport or gaming, where it's not very profitable unless you're a pro), but people do it anyway and trainers can get their license at 15. The barriers to entry are high, but the Pokemon League is a dream for a lot of people and fortunately, the last decade has seen a Pokemon Academy arise that teaches prospective rookie trainers how to excel and grants them opportunities. They compete and are given chances to build star reputations for themselves. In that sense, it'll be something like a hybrid between Hogwarts and American Idol, I suppose. Anyway, a handful of students will be chosen for this go-around and those characters will be your characters and the NPCs that I supplement it with.

I don't want to bog this down with too much depth for an interest check, but I will provide a lot of info once I see that people actually wanna do this.

Last edited:
I am actually more interested in there being some kind of system, and I would definitely prefer to see a more adult tone, and not just in terms of smut. I've always thought it odd that you never see pokemon bought/sold, only traded. I am open to playing a student, teacher, or other type of character.

I would absolutely be interested in this! I also think that their should definitely be a system in place for battles and progression.

I'll bite too since I'm a fan of pokemon as well. Never did something system based before but I wouldn't mind taking a whack at it for a change of pace. Count me in.

Weird, I didn't realize I wasn't automatically subscribed to threads I created. Seeing a nice turnout was a pleasant surprise! We can definitely do the RP with 3 people as is now, although I'm going to leave a bit of a buffer period to allow for more people to join if they like. I'll start working on getting ideas together though. In the meantime, if you guys have ideas or wanna run character concepts by me, feel free to post here or shoot me a message. :)

Sure. I was thinking an adult pokemon battle analyst/commentator offered a job in the new academy. Despite following pokemon battles, he has very little experience actually doing it, though is quite knowledgeable on theory/pokemon.

That could be fun. It might be an interesting dynamic to see them trying to reconcile theory and practice. If you wanted to go somewhat of a comedy route, you could have them be like a color commentator and have them narrate everything going on in their battles with a super cheesy, hypermasculine, panamerican voice. Haha. Just a couple of thoughts I had on hearing the idea; obviously not something you'd be pressured into.

I should note that your characters don't have to be super knowledgeable to start with either; the academy will teach the trainers things and I'm going to have a character involved that will function as an advice-giver.

Just checking in. I saw you did some work already on world-building and I like it so far. Just wanted you to know the interest is still as strong.

Good! I have a ton of ideas at the moment; mostly working out the world building aspects of it right now. As soon as I get more of the vital info up, I'm going to put up a character template so you can all start making your characters formally.

I'm in! I created a character for a different Pokemon RP in the past that never took off, and I'd love to repurpose her for this. System-based is alright by me as well. :)

Nah, just haven't had the time to really sit and iron everything out. If you guys like though, I posted a character creation template in the OOC thread. You can get started on that and if I make any changes to the template, I'll let you guys know. If possible, I'd like to work on some more of the details of the RP tonight though. I also need to research to see if there are any existing systems for Pokemon that might be useful.

There actually is a pokemon tabletop game. Pokemon Tabletop United. I remember getting it for free, was still in beta. Not sure if that is still the case. It has good rules for pokemon combat, but I didn't care for the different trainer classes.

That is one of them, yeah. Basically, the trainer chooses a class, which gives them special abilities inside and outside of pokemon battles. So not only are there different ways to help your pokemon perform in battle, but there are also classes that help outside of it, like making you better at capturing pokemon, winning beauty pageants, or even being able to fight alongside pokemon.

Yeah. I love how ambitious the game is, but just too much of it doesn't work and it is a bit too complicated.

I'm interested as well, just waiting for more information up on the main board before filling out a form for my character. I want to make sure they'll fit into the world.

Yeah, no worries. I know Space Freckles IRL, so I can keep tabs on her pretty easily. Haha.

Just took a look at the character. I should note that the main crime syndicate is not Team Rocket; it'll be something custom. But it looks like your bio doesn't state them by name anyway, so no worries there. Most of it looks fine though. The dates are different, so 1999 wouldn't be a very viable date unless your character is 1999 years old. :p Most of it looks like stuff we can work with though.

Anyway, I'm about to work on some more background stuff now. :)

Back
Top Bottom