Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Mythic Pathfinder Battle Harem: Thirteen Keys) OOC and Peace Tea Cooler

Didn't have much of a chance to build over the weekend, but as far as I know

Ilven's Nicole needs some tweaks but is largely done.
LeaT has Lea built but not Iseldra.
Emy hasn't responded since initial post, so I have no idea if they need support building characters

Haven't spent any of the equipment budget on any of the characters yet.
I roughly know how I'm going to build my King, but haven't done so yet.

Should we be buying gear? Is there a link to a store? Anything you want me to do to help get ready?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1js7adDPdjRNnOPpBczq07T3dgr2yaIj7
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1htYnTqMDun7QkTBzh-i68ruULPSDB3sY

First pass at Iseldra and her wolf animal companion, creatively named Wolf at the moment.

If you want to look at equipment yourself you can find everything you need regarding Pathfinder at d20pfsrd.com The site contains basically every rule from every supplement, all for free. It's legal if you worry about that sort of thing, Pathfinder is all released under the Open Game License.

Yes, Background skills have been implemented for the three ladies I've built. I more or less guessed at what I thought was appropriate. Everything on the sheets is up for debate and change.
Iseldra got Knowledge(Geography) and Profession(Trapper)
Lea got Profession(Gambler) and Craft(Traps)
Nicole got Profession(Scribe) and Craft(Alchemy)

I was going to look at equipment next. Lea and Iseldra will spend a good chunk of change on magical weapons and armor with leftovers going to some basic potions and gear. Nicole has a few more options; she can spend on scrolls to put more spells in her spellbook, wands, potions, etc.

Updated Nicole with Misbegotten/Chesty (Can't figure out how to change it's name in the program I'm using) and first run at equipment for Lea and Iseldra. Each still has cash to spend if there's anything you come up with. Haven't bought anything other than basic equipment for Nicole yet since casters have a bigger selection of wands and scrolls and such.

Link is to a folder with all sheets
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-QGGq4Xoqx0-FT1qlj3DJijY53JsNMDl

Also, Tenshi, do you worry about things like encumberance/basic ammunition/etc. or are these rules being waived? As in, you can carry your stuff without worrying about weight/encumbrance penalties as long as it's reasonable and an archer's quiver is always assumed to have basic non-magical or enhanced arrows in it.

Another question for you Tenshi; there's an alternate human racial trait that would potentially replace my bonus feat if you let me have it.

Eye for Talent: Humans have great intuition for hidden potential. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive checks. In addition, when they acquire an animal companion, bonded mount, cohort, or familiar, that creature gains a +2 bonus to one ability score of the character’s choice. This racial trait replaces the bonus feat trait.

Would you let that +2 to an ability score count for my harem?

'fraid not on that +2. Good idea, though.

hmm... or let me think... it WOULD apply to a cohort...

Note: you don't need to buy scrolls to add spells to your spellbook. The traditional cost to copy a spell from another wizard's spellbook is .5 the ink cost to copy the spell into your own.

That was my thought; in a normal game this would be absolutely broken (one racial trait to give everyone else in the party +2) but considering the setup I thought it appropriate. Ruling on the encumbrance/ammo thing?

Also, to my fellow players. Would anyone like me to put together a Pathfinder 101? Basically just a quick explanation of the core concepts so you understand what's written on your sheets and can look up the rest on d20pfsrd

I've played 3.5 so while I doubt my ability to make a good character, the basics I feel fine on.

LeaT said:
perhaps limit it to charisma?

Charisma does more than just social in this editon. For example, sorcerers and paladins use it as their primary ability.

i like to track amuniton.

Encumberance we can play fast and loose with if you don't get ridiculous. :) Magic bags are relatively avaialbe in this editon. A lesser bag of holding is the size of a satchel, carries 100lbs, and costs 1,000 GP.

LeaT, this is the SRD's page for mundane equipment: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/
And this one for magic items: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/

We've got you covered, but I don't want you to feel left in the dark. :)

I don't mind a primer if it isn't too much work on your end. What might be more helpful is something of what your expectations are for players. I'm kind of expecting to bring their personality and desired actions and have you two boys work out the mechanics of success/failure. Then I kind write how each of my characters reacts to the consequences of each success or failure. If you can handle that, I'll try to make it up to you on the smutty bits;)

This is fine in my book.

It's a little trickier in play by post. I might have to cut off your narated actions when you run out of things you can do in one round. Around a table, or over skype, I would tell a new player that they could do more or less tahn they decribed and thy could amend it on the spot.

Will it help if I stick to describing 'intent' in my posts and you can confirm the actual action that is able to take place? I don't usually read RPs by others but if you have an example of how this will go I don't mind reading through it a bit to get a feel for the flow.

I will write Lea's and Iseldra's bios once Logan has his, I want to be able to key off of his story if possible. I'm really looking forward to getting started.

I figured that it would mostly just be a primer on what you can do and the basic rules involved, even if you don't know all the mechanics of it, so that you can make informed combat choices and the like. I'm always going to be in favor of people learning the system because it's a really fun and interesting game, but I also wholly understand how needlessly complex it can get.

So with that in mind

Pathfinder 101 - The Absolute Basics

99% of the rolls and mechanical actions taken in the game can be described using the Core Mechanic of 1d20+bonus vs. DC or opposed check. As way of example:

Iseldra needs to climb up a tree to spy on a nearby bandit camp. Naturally this uses the Climb skill. Tenshi decides that this particular tree is somewhat tricky to climb, setting a DC or target number of 15.

Per her sheet, her total bonus to Climb checks is +8. This is derived from her skill points put into climbing, as well as her natural strength. LeaT rolls 1d20, and gets a 9. Her bonus is added to this roll, for a total of 17.

Since 17 is more than or equal to 15, she successfully climbs the tree.

Once on the limb, she needs to make a Stealth check to avoid being seen by the bandits. Her total Stealth bonus is +6, and with a 15 rolled on the 1d20, her total is 21.

The Bandits have a Perception bonus of +3. Tenshi rolls for the bandits and rolls an 11 on the die, for a total of 14.

Since Iseldra beat the bandits' roll, she is successful and remains hidden.

The vast majority of rolls fit this dynamic. Roll 1d20, add bonuses according to your sheet, get bonuses or penalties based on circumstances (proper climbing tools, pitch black night, one hand holding a sword, etc), and try to meet or beat a target number set by the GM. This is typically referred to as a <Skill> check. So if Tenshi aks Iseldra to roll Survival, you'll roll 1d20+9

Combat 101

During combat, you are given two actions. A Move and a Standard.
A move action is
-moving around the battlefield up to your speed
-drawing a weapon
-picking something up
-standing up if knocked down

and so on. Things that don't take too much attention and often move you around. If you move around while in melee range of someone, they're generally allowed to try and hit you for free. If Iseldra runs past one bandit to try and stab a different one, the guy she ignored is going to take a swing as she passes.

A special sort of move is the 5-foot step. No one can make a free attack if you move only five feet, but you cannot move any further for the rest of your turn. You can still take a move action, but can't use it to actually move.

A standard action is
-making an attack
-drinking a potion
-casting a spell
-bandaging up a fallen ally

Things that take time and effort to accomplish. These will sometimes give people a free attack if you aren't fighting back. Iseldra stopping the fight to swig a potion of healing will give the guy she's fighting a chance to stab her.

You can give up your standard to do a second move, but you can only take one standard per round.

Resolving attacks is the same method: 1d20 + your attack bonus vs. Opponent's AC (Armor Class)
Flanking your opponent (you and an ally attack him from opposite directions) gives you a bonus to all attacks.

Of Special Note for Lea and Iseldra
Both Lea and Iseldra have the ability to make two attacks in a single turn. Lea can use the Rapid Shot feat to fire twice, at a accuracy penalty. Iseldra can attack once with each weapon if using both of them. But, they can only attack twice if they take their full turn to do so. This is a full-round action. During this you cannot take a move action or move at all, except to take a 5-ft step.

So Iseldra can spend one turn moving up to a guy and attacking once. On her next turn she's already next to him, and can forfeit her movement to attack twice.

Lea's sneak attack does extra damage if two conditions are met.
1 - She is using a melee weapon or a ranged weapon within 40ft of the target
2 - The target cannot defend himself properly; he is flanked, distracted, unaware of her, etc.
If this sneak attack succeeds, she hampers her opponent by giving him -2 to AC, -2 to attacks, or halves his speed.

Iseldra has an animal companion, a wolf. The wolf acts at the same time as Iseldra and can make attacks of his/her own. Of special note is that every enemy the wolf attacks has a chance to be knocked prone. The classic combo is
1-Wolf runs around to opposite side of bad guy and attacks with +2 from flanking.
2-Bad guy falls prone
3-Iseldra stabs him while he's down, giving her huge +4 bonus to hit from prone and +2 from flanking.

Iseldra has a small amount of magic. In the morning every day, she can select 1 spell from the Level 1 Ranger spell list (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spell-lists-and-domains/spell-lists-ranger) and can cast it once during that day. Her number of spells will increase further as she levels.

LeaT said:
Will it help if I stick to describing 'intent' in my posts and you can confirm the actual action that is able to take place? I don't usually read RPs by others but if you have an example of how this will go I don't mind reading through it a bit to get a feel for the flow.

I will write Lea's and Iseldra's bios once Logan has his, I want to be able to key off of his story if possible. I'm really looking forward to getting started.

It will. :)

Sorry if that comment lead to any stress. I was mostly just pondering.

Personally I've been a creative writing student and I sometimes try to introduce elements of novel writing into RPs that don't really belong in this medium. ^_^;;

The big one is En media res. Beginning in the middle. Every time I begin without proper exposition for my players I regret it, and I ALWAYS do it again!

:) It also doesn't work to stick to one character's perspective too much in RP. Specifically, because I narrate in third person, past tense, ("After firing her crossbow, Lea felt the stock of her crossbow rattling in her hand and saw the orc go down,) it comes across as god moding to some players when I write from there perspective.

The traditional storytelling formula for role playing games--especially around the table--is that the players speak in first person and the Game Master narrates in second person. It's fun to think of, but doesn't flow so in text. :)

Okay, enough rambling.

I know there's more for me to adress. My tabletop group has assembled. Got to go.

@Logan - Thank you so much for the primer, it was very helpful! I can't wait to get started and join your battle harem.

@Tenshi - I wasn't stressed at all, I appreciate the advice and I think I have a pretty good idea of how things will go. I will be interested in seeing how the game play goes, once we get started.

@All - speaking of getting started, when do you think that will be?

No problem, let me know if you have any more questions or want anything cleared up!

This may help too; posted my initial sheet and background to the Characters thread along with some choices for the character image.

Back
Top Bottom