Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Xenforo Conversion Announcement - Part II

I have already stated there will be a week's notice. Twice.

Xenforo tracks when a conversation is read. It just doesn't expose this information. Once we're on Xenforo 2 I will be looking at bringing the overall conversation system up to par.

One thing I'm not quite clear on. If the de facto new PM system functions exactly like a thread, how does one go about moving the text to, say, an offline Word document in an efficient fashion? I like being able to do that because when a good RP gets very long, I like being able to just read it like, say, a story. As it is now, I can just copy and paste quote trees in huge chunks and turn months of RP into an easily readable document in about 20 minutes.

Pdrive1872 said:
One thing I'm not quite clear on. If the de facto new PM system functions exactly like a thread, how does one go about moving the text to, say, an offline Word document in an efficient fashion? I like being able to do that because when a good RP gets very long, I like being able to just read it like, say, a story. As it is now, I can just copy and paste quote trees in huge chunks and turn months of RP into an easily readable document in about 20 minutes.
As someone who uses threads and word docs for her rps, I just update my word docs each time I get a post (plus I write my posts in word, and then transfer the post to BMR) it's pretty simple. I doubt this new system will be much harder.

Revnarh said:
Which drafts should we clear out? I'm asking because there are two different categories for drafts.

Both.

xanaphia said:
Pdrive1872 said:
As someone who uses threads and word docs for her rps, I just update my word docs each time I get a post (plus I write my posts in word, and then transfer the post to BMR) it's pretty simple. I doubt this new system will be much harder.

I mean I guess that works but it's so much easier to do it in chunks than having to always post, transfer, post, transfer. Hopefully there's something more efficient than that.

Given that after the transfer the PMs will be threaded, I'd swear that things should be easier that way as you could even save the page as HTML for easier handling without quotes or anything. I guess that methods can change from person to person.

Yeah I have no idea why people think it might be more difficult to download their roleplays when it's all bunched up in a thread for them.

Unless you've randomly changed your subject frequently during your roleplay. In which case that's on you.

I have a question, and sorry if I missed it somewhere. I recently returned to this site from a long time away and created an account and then with one of the mods help I was able to recover and get my old account back. However I am concerned at this point that I have a second account that I have never used on this email. Is there a way I can check that and delete the alts if there are any?

@Kolath, I found your other account. Would you like the name of it so you can change the email address for it, or would you like me to delete it?

If you could just delete it that would be amazing its not something I use at this point at all. It was just one I made because I lost access to this one and then staff helped me get back on this one.

Hypothetically speaking, how much of a learning curve will there be for everything when things switch in regard to the threads and conversation system replacing the PM system we have now? I'm just asking in part because of the fact I don't think I've used anything like Xenforo before and don't recall ever hearing of it.

It isn't that much of a learning curve. I'm not a big fan of change and I didn't find it to be all that different when I went onto the test page for it. A thing to remember... a forum is a forum, through and through. There are some differences, but the principle parts of the forum are all there and it will be laid out fairly similar. Over time we'll do what we can to get it back to looking like classic BMR.

Okay. Thanks Prose. Also, would drafts, if someone were to have them by the time the transition happens, be lost during the transition or just end up being a severe pain to recover if possible?

It would probably be a good idea to save the drafts elsewhere as I believe they'll be lost in the move, I believe thats why the announcement on top suggests clearing them out.

PM drafts will get lost or converted as straight sent PMs depending. I would need to personally recover these from the database.

Post drafts will get converted as 'moderated' and I'm not sure how easily self-recoverable they will be. Staff will be able to recover those at least, if you know where the thread your draft is. Still I would like to minimize people using this option.

Vekseid said:
Yeah I have no idea why people think it might be more difficult to download their roleplays when it's all bunched up in a thread for them.

Unless you've randomly changed your subject frequently during your roleplay. In which case that's on you.

To be clear my question/concern has to do with the formatting of the offline copy I'd make. My preference would be to have it be as clean of a Word document as possible. If it's a thread, I might need to copy/paste every individual post, which would take a lot more effort.

KaseKatty said:
What happens if i dont join the discord will i lose anything?
Besides the chance to chat with wonderful people, no, you won't lose a thing.

Re avatars: Xenforo seems to use different avatar sizes in different situations. Unfortunately, the resizing converts animated GIFs to static pictures which, in the case of my avatar, can completely change the meaning.

I read that installing Image Magick can help.

As of now, my avatar appears static on mobile. Can anything be done about it?

Thank you!

Edit: it is also forced square, ugh.

Back
Top Bottom