Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Xenforo Conversion Announcement - Part II

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
Read all of the bullet points carefully, please. Especially the action items one.

So a lot of you will happy to know that I've managed to get the importer to properly track and convert private conversations which share a subject. So your separate threads with people will be separate conversations, so long as you used a different subject for them.

Conversation splitting won't happen unless you have more than ~20 messages exchanged with the person in question, which should keep the total number of conversations somewhat sane.

The exact number isn't going to be stable because of the 'interesting' way in which MyBB handles messages. So you may see some conversations broken up anyway.

If you have less than 20 pms exchanged with someone, the original subject will get highlighted in the message if it's different from the first.

Stuff that may require action on your part.

Save your buddy and ignore lists found here. Xenforo has an ignore list but no buddy list. I will be looking at adding a buddy system in the future. For now though you will want to safe the lists and hang onto them.

Clear out your drafts. Especially for private conversations. Converting these properly is tricky and it's best just to not have any. Send PMs to yourself as needed instead.

Accounts sharing an e-mail will be merged to the lowest user ID. Either setup a different e-mail for your alts, use subaccount tricks, or let them get merged.

If you have not joined us on Discord you may want to do so. Staff won't be able to verify your postcount while we are upgrading.

Linked avatars don't convert well - partly MyBB's fault. I highly suggest, if you linked your avatar rather than uploaded it, to download and upload your avatar instead before the conversion.

Photobucket. Photobucket everywhere. It's pretty jarring after the conversion. If you see a post with the Photobucket curse, please report the post you see it in so we can excise Photobucket from that post and/or their profile.

I will be blanking all Photobucket signatures and avatars before the conversion. If you have an avatar or signature that uses a Photobucket image, change it or lose your signature.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, your personal notepad at the bottom of your control panel will not get converted. Please save this. By sending it in a PM to yourself, for example.

You can't start a conversation with yourself in Xenforo. Personally I find this ability to be rather handy, so if you want to be able to talk to yourself before I find a way to mod that nonsense, send a PM to yourself now while you still can.

Make sure your can remember your password and that your e-mail works so you can recover your account if needed. In case something happens. 99% of you will just log in with your password as normal.

Conversion Issues and Other Notes.

The way I've hacked the converter to do this means that there is a chance a few people's PMs with someone will get converted twice. Easier to just tell you to delete the excess than fix the rest of the code. >_>

The sheer quantity of PMs means the PM conversion is going to take several days. It looks like it will be possible to engage in conversations in the mean time, but if you've got a high user ID with a high user ID partner, you won't see your conversations with them for awhile.

I might lock private conversations for the duration to minimize confusion and 'why are my PMs gone!?' complaints.

Xenforo doesn't really handle immense amounts of conversations - as many of us have - all that well. Addressing this will have to wait until after we've upgraded to 2.0 after the conversion.

Xenforo doesn't support all of MyBB's BBCode. This will not be immediately addressed as the next step after conversion is finalized will be to upgrade to Xenforo 2. Some things will take a bit longer than others. So expect things to be ugly for a bit.

Some BBCode just isn't going to work. The main culprit here is manually specifying dimensions. There are a few others (horizontal rules) that I'll need to make addons for.

The default theme is blinding, and there are tweaks here that we take for granted. I will probably put us on some temp theme in the mean time, but don't expect things to be pretty right from the start.

As mentioned, usergroups will be getting pared down before the conversion. They will return as appropriate.

URLs will be busted for a short bit until I bring in the redirect scripts.

When will the conversion take place?

It depends a bit on how many need-to-fix bugs remain in the converter, and if there are any decent optimizations I can still do. After we are confident the conversion works smoothly, we will announce the conversion one week in advance.

Currently I'm on trial #40 or so. Next stress point is going to take place Thursday (May 10th). If that goes well I may make the announcement ~Sunday.

How long will the site be down?

2-3 hours. Everything else converts very quickly, and the site can function while PMs are getting imported.

Why Xenforo?

1) MyBB is completely untenable for what most of you are using the site for. I have been stripping features for years, accordingly. The PM system is only the worst offender here. The heavy weight of integration that brought down the shoutbox, for example.

2) Creating an appropriate converter for Elkarte would likewise take a great deal of time, and I think a big part of Blue Moon's relative strength is that it remains distinct from Elliquiy. I don't want to be running clones.

3) By going with an actively maintained piece of commercial software, I can make sure Blue Moon maintains a healthy number of features while remaining distinct from Elliquiy.

4) Xenforo has private conversations rather than PMs, which means after the conversion you will no longer have to rely on those quote towers so many of you love. More importantly, this is a properly normalized structure that is far more suitable to the sort of usage most members put this site to.

5) Like Elkarte, Xenforo has e-mail management built in, which takes an incredible load off of staff. There is no serious free alternative to this outside of Elkarte.

Vekseid said:
Xenforo doesn't really handle immense amounts of conversations - as many of us have - all that well. Addressing this will have to wait until after we've upgraded to 2.0 after the conversion.
Could I get a quick guess-estimate or head math on this? I just want to understand the scope you're talking about. I would figure that most people really shouldn't need more than a handful of private conversations per person they communicate with even if they have more than one roleplay in private with said person. And after that, even if we see some usage from the multi-participant conversation feature, the total number really shouldn't be too bad. (I would think, just hypothetically)

How much would individual sizes of said conversations contribute to the overall problem?

I'm curious as to how any folders filled with PMs will react to this conversion. Is it safe to leave everything where it is, or should they be moved to the inbox for the transfer?

Beelzing said:
I'm curious as to how any folders filled with PMs will react to this conversion. Is it safe to leave everything where it is, or should they be moved to the inbox for the transfer?

The converter converts all PMs whether they're in a folder or not. It will also restore many 'deleted' PMs, even.

Viktoff Samson said:
Could I get a quick guess-estimate or head math on this? I just want to understand the scope you're talking about. I would figure that most people really shouldn't need more than a handful of private conversations per person they communicate with even if they have more than one roleplay in private with said person. And after that, even if we see some usage from the multi-participant conversation feature, the total number really shouldn't be too bad. (I would think, just hypothetically)

How much would individual sizes of said conversations contribute to the overall problem?

Most non-staff have about 1 conversation per 10 pms, it looks like. People with long staff histories have a lot more conversations, obviously. I have less than one per five.

One user with over 40,000 PMs has roughly 2,700 conversations.

Can't tell you how much your sharing what's going to happen is appreciated! Hope you reward yourself later with a nice long vacation. lol

Vekseid said:
Beelzing said:

The converter converts all PMs whether they're in a folder or not. It will also restore many 'deleted' PMs, even.

Alright! Understood! :)

Revnarh said:
What if we already have a lot of conversations with the same person before the conversion to Xenforo?

You'll have one conversation with them per unique subject.

On the topic of the account/same email accounts, does this mean those with the same ip address will be merged? Or just the same Email? I apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm just a little confused by this is all.

Dirty Reflection said:
On the topic of the account/same email accounts, does this mean those with the same ip address will be merged? Or just the same Email? I apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm just a little confused by this is all.

Just on email.

It means that when you go into your inbox you will have multiple threads (or, conversations as opposed to the typical PM). Each thread will have a unique title (similar to how each PM had a unique subject). So you will have a conversation thread having its own title, perhaps multiple, if you had several PMs with a single individual. Make sense now? : )

Okay...so what if you have PM threads with different people but who use the same subject (such as the generic "OOC")?

Eg you have a PM chat going with PlayerA with the subject "OOC", and suddenly PlayerC chimes in with their own PM thread titled "OOC" - will they remain separate conversations (different players) or will they get merged (same subject)?

Conversation (or private thread) is to PM as title is to subject. These conversations are unique via individual, not title. And they will be separate. They operate just like PMs only they look like threads instead. That’s kind of it.

Quick question about the note pad, PM with self, etc.

I have a few things I leave as notes to myself, drafts of stuff, etc. stashed as unsent drafts. Should I send them to myself or will we have a draft folder in Xenforo?

Pdrive1872 said:
Quick question about the note pad, PM with self, etc.

I have a few things I leave as notes to myself, drafts of stuff, etc. stashed as unsent drafts. Should I send them to myself or will we have a draft folder in Xenforo?

Send them to yourself. Drafts are a potential problem spot and you probably don't want to have any before the conversion. >_>

I should make note of that too.

So, there were a few more thoughts on this conversion I wanted to share. I know this conversion is going to be a huge overall net good for the site, and there are several things that are going to be very good for me personally, but there's also some things that aren't going to be so good from my perspective. x3 I know there's almost no chance of anything being done about them since they're honestly pretty minor issues compared to how much it would take to address them, if they even -can- possibly be addressed due to the way how Xenforo works. But hey, almost no chance is still greater than no chance at all, which is what it would be if I say nothing, so, might as well mention it anyway, doesn't cost anyone anything. x3

• The first and biggest problem for me is going to be the complete loss of PM-tracking. Due to the way PMs in Xenforo basically just work as threads rather than discreet messages, it's inevitable that there's no longer going to be any way to actually track read-receipts. Which is gonna majorly suuuuuuck for me given how much I heavily rely on that to know when I should or should not message a partner. xP
  • Another problem is going to be the effective loss of the Drafting function. Oh, Xenforo -does- have a "drafting" function, but the problem is; it's done completely automatically, and there is no manual or central draft management whatsoever. As you are writing a post Xenforo autosaves the draft every time you pause typing for a few seconds. There is a way to tell it to "save the draft right now", but since it autosaves so frequently it rarely comes up, and even then, the button to make an immediate draft save does nothing that the autosave doesn't. The problem is no central management. There's no page that you can go to (to my knowledge) where you can view all your drafts-in-progress, like you can here on Bluemoon. The only way you can view a draft is if you go back to the very same thread where you started the draft (same for private conversation threads). And if you draft a new thread from scratch? You can only view it again if you go to the same board and hit "post new thread" to see the draft. This means you cannot have more than one post draft for any thread or more than one new-thread draft for any board, ever. And worst of all, the autosave function is simply not consistent. Or at least non consistent enough. If it had only happened once, I might have dealt, but I've had several drafts go bad or missing on me in Xenforo (and as I said, 'manually saving' does nothing that the autosave doesn't so that doesn't help). Enough so that I can never trust Xenforo's drafting feature, ever. (And I'm a guy who doesn't really trust autosaves on principle -anyway-) Soooo, not having drafting anymore is gonna suck. (wow this point got way longer than I thought. xP )
  • Due to the fact that Xenforo private messages work just like threads, I can no longer justify nudging PM-leaning (but not PM-only) partners into them :p and I already do so many RPs in PMs as it is.

However, so this post isn't just nothing but complaining, moving to Xenforo is going to have several personal -positive- effects as well.

• Soooo many more thread-management tools!
  • Due to the fact that Xenforo private messages work just like threads, they won't be such a hassle to me anymore. x3
  • Not really a personal benefit because of how I use it, rather I'm sure many many other people will love this, but Xenforo's default most-making interface is a WYSIWYG-interface; that is, when you use the controls to insert images, hyperlinks, tables, etc, it actually appears exactly how it will once actually post inside the textbox where you are making the post! Though, like I said, not a benefit for me, because I nearly always hit the button to force it into basic BBcode-edit mode anyway :p
  • This -would- be the worst part of the drafts thing above, and the thing is that on top of everything above, you will no longer be able to have recipient-less PM drafts saved just for notekeeping. But, since PMs work like threads, that means you can actually edit them, so with all my drafts getting PM'd to myself which will become Conversations with myself later, it shouldn't be any problem--and in fact might be a net positive if I can keep adding posts to a conversation with myself.
  • Much better base coding, so I'll no longer have any browser-lagging problems at all even with the longest amounts of text in a single post! (Xenforo regularly handles fanfiction chapter posts that are far, FAR longer than any post or draft I've ever had, by multiple times)
  • In-forum alerts for ~SUBSCRIBED THREADS~! Oh frabjous day!

Anyway...oh yeah! And one actual question. Vekseid, once a hard date is chosen for the move to be performed, we're going to get warning of it well in advance, right? At least a week, say?

Back
Top Bottom