Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A question of paradox

Whether it works in the actual world or not, the fascinating thing to me is that these ideas can exist using our language and mode of thinking, sort of like a language that allows the sentence "this sentence is a lie" to be formed, I once had a conversation with someone that ideally, the perfect language, aside from other things, would have to be constructed to no such contradictions could exist without having the sentence make no sense.

Oh, and perhaps this article will help shed some new flavor to the argument.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" rel="nofollow" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson%27s_lamp">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson%27s_lamp</a><!-- m -->
I think this does a much better job at bringing the problem to question, and yes, I know it's not realistic to flip a switch that fast, but it's the idea behind it that matters.

This is how I think this whole concept is turning out.

timeparadox.jpg

Indeed, I am very much enjoying this whole discussion.
Haha, well thats a rather interesting.... oh who am I kidding thats just plain silly, entertaining though. ^^

I always found philosophers discussing Zeno's paradox amusing. The solution was solved perfectly by Einstein (with the help of others, of course) over a century ago with special relativity.

Zeno's paradox is not a paradox, because an arrow in flight is actually at rest with respect to itself - ignoring internal temperature and discounting the friction generated by air that gives it a slight accelerating frame. It's only when the arrow -lands- that it actually experiences motion, due to being propped up by electromagnetic bonds against the force of gravity.

Naturally, you tend to think of objects moving with respect to you as being in motion, or conversely, when the dominant frame of reference is overwhelming (ie, Earth), you only think of yourself as moving because who are you to tell a planet that -it- is the one in motion? Most people don't have egos quite that big.

Gravity generates some more complicated cases, which is why the special theory of relativity is so much simpler than the general. The special theory is actually rather simple to understand. And, since it solves things like Zeno's paradox, it ends up making intuitive sense in the long run. If relativity did not apply, a lot of things break down.

Your posts reminds me of another idea that has been pestering me. True, relativity can be used to explain a lot of thing, even much of Zeno's ideas if not all of them. However, even Einstein did not completely complete his theory it seems, because at the speed of light, all principles of relativity break down and the system no longer works at all. As far as I know, there is a still a lot of testing being done to determine what exactly causes this, something the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) was supposed to help figure out if it had worked longer then it did.

Perhaps I'm just being picky, it's entirely possible and probably likely, but I think theres still more work to be done on relativity.
Primarily though, I just love thinking about stuff like this, if only because it shows just how much in the world is still up for debate, on the whole our science could probably still said to be primitive, and then theres always the question of what existed before nothing, the size of the universe, fascinating stuff. Bleh, I'm getting off track though.

gray said:
Your posts reminds me of another idea that has been pestering me. True, relativity can be used to explain a lot of thing, even much of Zeno's ideas if not all of them. However, even Einstein did not completely complete his theory it seems, because at the speed of light, all principles of relativity break down and the system no longer works at all.

Where did you hear relativity breaks down at the speed of light?

As far as I know, there is a still a lot of testing being done to determine what exactly causes this, something the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) was supposed to help figure out if it had worked longer then it did.

That is not what the LHC is for nor is the LHC out of commission. It's a giant, complex machine doing terribly hard experiments. It takes a long time to figure out the bugs.

Maybe. If so, that more has to do with the fact gravity is wonky and relativity and QM don't want to play with each other.

It's sort of a new study, and yes, I know thats not what the LHC is meant for, but it was one of the things a few people were hoping it would shed some light on. It's not really just relativity, but a lot of basic principles that should hold up at that speed, but don't. Understand, I'm not entirely sure about all this, and as it's a fairly new concept, it may be completely untrue, but as far as I know it's been gathering some buzz.

As for the LHC, it did have to be shut off for a while after they started it up, and projects with it seem to have been delayed, I haven't checked the news on it in a while thought, so this may be outdated.
Black holes are also an interesting concept, especial since a vast majority of out knowledge on them is just theory at this point, I'm not saying I don't believe it, it makes sense, but we still can't be 100% sure.

gray said:
It's sort of a new study, and yes, I know thats not what the LHC is meant for, but it was one of the things a few people were hoping it would shed some light on.

What people?

It's not really just relativity, but a lot of basic principles that should hold up at that speed, but don't. Understand, I'm not entirely sure about all this, and as it's a fairly new concept, it may be completely untrue, but as far as I know it's been gathering some buzz.

Which principles?

As for the LHC, it did have to be shut off for a while after they started it up, and projects with it seem to have been delayed, I haven't checked the news on it in a while thought, so this may be outdated.
Black holes are also an interesting concept, especial since a vast majority of out knowledge on them is just theory at this point, I'm not saying I don't believe it, it makes sense, but we still can't be 100% sure.

The vast majority of all our information is 'just' theory. Including things, I imagine, like the idea that the Earth revolves around the Sun and that living things are made of cells.

gray said:
Your posts reminds me of another idea that has been pestering me. True, relativity can be used to explain a lot of thing, even much of Zeno's ideas if not all of them. However, even Einstein did not completely complete his theory it seems, because at the speed of light, all principles of relativity break down and the system no longer works at all.

WTF does this idiocy come from?

No. Wrong. Relativity breaks if you wish to maintain causality at faster than the speed of light, because relativity does not normally permit such a concept.

As far as I know, there is a still a lot of testing being done to determine what exactly causes this, something the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) was supposed to help figure out if it had worked longer then it did.

No it wasn't. The LHC was hopefully going to try and find the Higgs Boson, or fail to, by probing energies up to ~14 TeV. Right now the folks at Fermilab are taking advantage of CERNs misfortune to try to find it first.

Perhaps I'm just being picky, it's entirely possible and probably likely, but I think theres still more work to be done on relativity.

Of course there is, largely in the field of verifying its predictions about gravity and unifying relativity with quantum mechanics.

Kawamura said:
The vast majority of all our information is 'just' theory. Including things, I imagine, like the idea that the Earth revolves around the Sun and that living things are made of cells.

No, if it can be observed, it's a fact. 'Germ theory' is a good example of how something can progress beyond theory into fact. Evolution likewise - common descent is still a theory, but everything else it predicts is now observed and therefore fact. Stuff like abiogenesis remains a hypothesis. Another alternative is e.g. the Gaia hypothesis. Intelligent Design, for some reason, has never even been advanced to the hypothesis level. WTF not is beyond me, any reasonably intelligent person ought to be able to.

Hmm, what happened to my post, I thought I just put one up, damn, it was a long one to.

Anyway, thank you for correcting me, as I said (well in my post that has not shown up.) I am horrible with terms, and much of what I know is only what I'm taking from discussion and some rough researching, no where near conclusive.
As for the LHC, yes, that may have been it's main purpose, but there was much the people were hoping it would also shed light on, even if it was no the intended purpose, or even likely.
Umm, yes, thank you for confirming what I had just said, but did you need to make it sound as though I was being stupid for doing it? Not everyone possesses the same level of knowledge. Ack, I may just be contradicting my own argument, sorry if I am.

As for something observed being 'fact' I'm not 100% on your definition of observed. People used to think the sun revolved around the earth because they could "observe" the sun moving through the sky. No I'm not saying I think the fact of orbit is wrong, I just think that even if we observe something, that dose not mean if is fact, since there may be an aspect of it we are not aware of, or addition information we do not yet have. For the most part however, observation if the best means we have. OG course, there is always the philosophical side to that idea, but thats another story, and this discussion already has a lot going on.

Carnal said:
How many people in this thread have even taken calculus?
College level or high school level?
I've taken high school, but I'm still attending college.

Carnal said:

I stopped at DifEQ and Analysis, so yes. Not quite enough for a math minor, though.

Vekseid said:
Kawamura said:

No, if it can be observed, it's a fact. 'Germ theory' is a good example of how something can progress beyond theory into fact. Evolution likewise - common descent is still a theory, but everything else it predicts is now observed and therefore fact. Stuff like abiogenesis remains a hypothesis. Another alternative is e.g. the Gaia hypothesis. Intelligent Design, for some reason, has never even been advanced to the hypothesis level. WTF not is beyond me, any reasonably intelligent person ought to be able to.

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect, even if my knowledge of terminology is always poor and the terminology itself is always a bit sketch.

Theories do not become facts. Theories are created from hypotheses and facts that support them. The theory of evolution is a theory not because it can't be observed (one can watch bacteria evolve and we have cases of speciation), but because it's a big, over-arching concept explaining the hows and the like. That will never become a fact because it's made of facts no more than a house will become a single brick.

I'd love to hear how a 'reasonably intelligent person' could make ID (the sort involving the supernatural) a hypothesis.

Kawamura said:
I'm pretty sure that's incorrect, even if my knowledge of terminology is always poor and the terminology itself is always a bit sketch.

Theories do not become facts. Theories are created from hypotheses and facts that support them. The theory of evolution is a theory not because it can't be observed (one can watch bacteria evolve and we have cases of speciation), but because it's a big, over-arching concept explaining the hows and the like. That will never become a fact because it's made of facts no more than a house will become a single brick.

Once something is observed it becomes a fact. Germ theory was a theory until germs could actually physically be observed infecting and damaging a host. Just because a theory predates it does not magically make facts discovered later theories.

Likewise, evolution is largely fact. Evolution is a word with many separate definitions, and the most appropriate one - describing what evolution is - is fact.

1) Mutations occur, and are observed directly. Fact.
2) The change in allele frequency over time - the most common scientific definition of evolution - has been observed since antiquity. Fact.
3) Speciation occurs, and has been observed. Fact.
...I can go on. The only aspect of evolution that is theory at this point is the theory of common descent. An enormous quantity of facts support it, of course, but since it has not been directly observed, it is still only theory. The rest of evolution has been observed, however.

A better way to put it - evolution is fact. Saying that we evolved from primates is theory. If we were actually able to observe Earth as it was throughout the course of history, it becomes an observed fact.

I'd love to hear how a 'reasonably intelligent person' could make ID (the sort involving the supernatural) a hypothesis.

Create a situation under which it can be tested. That's all a hypothesis needs, really.

Carnal said:

In high school I took it, but I'm not minoring in math so I don't remember as much as I would like. I'd like to learn more, though, since I have an affinity when it comes to most all math.

I had Calculus in high school, and a semester in college; it was the only D I received since 4th grade handwriting class. So I'm not as good with higher level mathematical operations. But I'm competent with theory, and have an ordered mind, nonetheless.

And there may be some differences in base definitions between the sides here as to what is defined as "evolution", "proven", "theory", and "fact." I'm not personally engaged enough to debate the issue, but a cursory glance makes me wonder if you're talking slightly different specifics and using the same term to describe them. Or something like that.

Vekseid said:
Once something is observed it becomes a fact. Germ theory was a theory until germs could actually physically be observed infecting and damaging a host. Just because a theory predates it does not magically make facts discovered later theories.

The germ theory of disease is a theory, even today. The fact that germs can be seen just supports the hypothesis.

Likewise, evolution is largely fact. Evolution is a word with many separate definitions, and the most appropriate one - describing what evolution is - is fact.

1) Mutations occur, and are observed directly. Fact.
2) The change in allele frequency over time - the most common scientific definition of evolution - has been observed since antiquity. Fact.
3) Speciation occurs, and has been observed. Fact.
...I can go on. The only aspect of evolution that is theory at this point is the theory of common descent. An enormous quantity of facts support it, of course, but since it has not been directly observed, it is still only theory. The rest of evolution has been observed, however.

A better way to put it - evolution is fact. Saying that we evolved from primates is theory. If we were actually able to observe Earth as it was throughout the course of history, it becomes an observed fact.

Evolution is one of those ambiguous words that makes theory and fact confusing. Evolution is both fact and theory. There is the fact of evolution, that alleles do change frequency. Then there's the theory of evolution, which explains that fact. How do they change frequency? Why do they change frequency? And (importantly) can I predict the change? That part will never become fact because it's so much bigger than an individual fact, just like the theory of relativity will never become fact because it's so much bigger than the individual facts that support it.

Create a situation under which it can be tested. That's all a hypothesis needs, really.

And how would that go, exactly?

Remember, we're talking about the scientific method, which is applied to a study of natural things, while the popular form of ID includes a supernatural creator.

Kawamura said:
The germ theory of disease is a theory, even today. The fact that germs can be seen just supports the hypothesis.

They verify it perfectly. A competing theory would need to explain a flaw in germ theory better than germ theory when we already physically watch the process that germ theory originally predicted. Disproving it or improving it is a nonsensical statement.

Evolution is one of those ambiguous words that makes theory and fact confusing. Evolution is both fact and theory. There is the fact of evolution, that alleles do change frequency. Then there's the theory of evolution, which explains that fact. How do they change frequency? Why do they change frequency? And (importantly) can I predict the change? That part will never become fact because it's so much bigger than an individual fact, just like the theory of relativity will never become fact because it's so much bigger than the individual facts that support it.

As mentioned, we've seen allele frequency change and the reasons for it (natural selection) occur.

There is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing or looking for examples.

Common descent, on the other hand, is going to be theory for the conceivable remainder of human existence. Relativity will likely still be a viable field of study even if it gets expanded upon. Distinct sense of irony there, what would you call the resulting theory?

And how would that go, exactly?

Remember, we're talking about the scientific method, which is applied to a study of natural things, while the popular form of ID includes a supernatural creator.

Supernatural tampering, if it occurred, ought to be observable. Any god indistinguishable from nature is a rather impotent god, after all. They claim that this sort of thing can be found - they should propose a structured means by which the entirety of biological data can be analyzed to look for it. This - if scientifically carried out - could actually promote useful discoveries during the sequencing process, etc.

Vekseid said:
They verify it perfectly. A competing theory would need to explain a flaw in germ theory better than germ theory when we already physically watch the process that germ theory originally predicted. Disproving it or improving it is a nonsensical statement.

I didn't make a statement about disproving the the hypothesis. I'm saying that germ theory of disease is a theory. It'll never be a fact because that is a nonsensical movement.

As mentioned, we've seen allele frequency change and the reasons for it (natural selection) occur.

There is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing or looking for examples.

What? You always keep testing in science. You do your damned hardest to disprove the current theories, to find flaws, to fix them, then have someone else do the same. We see the change in allele frequency. That is a fact. Why this happens is a theory. It will always be a theory, because theory is the word you use when you say 'this is how I explain the change'.

Common descent, on the other hand, is going to be theory for the conceivable remainder of human existence. Relativity will likely still be a viable field of study even if it gets expanded upon. Distinct sense of irony there, what would you call the resulting theory?

Common descent is a theory as well because it explains the evidence we see. And what resulting theory?

Supernatural tampering, if it occurred, ought to be observable. Any god indistinguishable from nature is a rather impotent god, after all. They claim that this sort of thing can be found - they should propose a structured means by which the entirety of biological data can be analyzed to look for it. This - if scientifically carried out - could actually promote useful discoveries during the sequencing process, etc.

Why should supernatural tampering be observable?

EDIT: I should have asked this off the bat: what definition of theory are you using? Are you talking about a scientific theory or layman's theory? Because you seem to be weaving back and forth between scientific definitions of things and non, and with my weak understanding of terminology, I'm getting confused.

I ought to put this in, the one thing that has been drill into me through classes, and every researcher I've ever talked to, is that nothing is really 'fact' it's just the best guess we have based on the information we have at the time.

Kawamura said:
I didn't make a statement about disproving the the hypothesis. I'm saying that germ theory of disease is a theory. It'll never be a fact because that is a nonsensical movement.

We watch it occur. The observation is fact. How is that nonsensical?

What? You always keep testing in science. You do your damned hardest to disprove the current theories, to find flaws, to fix them, then have someone else do the same.

I think you missed the NAS excerpt in the link. I'm not the only one who disagrees with you.

Ignoring the time issue for one, the matter is sometimes we have direct and repeated observations of all steps that were theorized. Those observations are facts. No status as theories beforehand changes those observations magically into theory.

We see the change in allele frequency. That is a fact. Why this happens is a theory.

We also see mutations and preferential selection in the fitness of those mutations to breed - natural or artificial. The observations are magically theory, now?

It will always be a theory, because theory is the word you use when you say 'this is how I explain the change'.

We observe that a particle changes velocity when struck. We assign Newton's laws to these.

Common descent is a theory as well because it explains the evidence we see. And what resulting theory?

...it was a joke, I think you missed it.

Why should supernatural tampering be observable?

Because unobservable tampering is just Last Thursdayism. All IDers claim that evidence can be found, so it's not like there's any disagreement with the nuts there.

EDIT: I should have asked this off the bat: what definition of theory are you using? Are you talking about a scientific theory or layman's theory? Because you seem to be weaving back and forth between scientific definitions of things and non, and with my weak understanding of terminology, I'm getting confused.

I'm using the typical scientific definition. Eventually, some theories reach the point where you observe the root causes of the effects that they try to describe.

A hypothesis is something that makes a testable prediction about the Universe, okay.
A theory is a hypothesis that explains all previous observations and has successfully predicted observations on its own.
A fact is a data point - an observation.
A law is a collection of consistent observations with (at least originally) no theory to explain them.

My declaration of germ theory as fact is that we currently watch the underlying mechanism - typically, you might expect a theory to be an imperfect observation of the Universe. You might, for example, find evidence of panspermia mixing with terrestrial life or something that extends relativity under previously unobserved conditions.

You can't really do that with germ theory, or the theory that the Earth orbits the Sun - assuming a sufficiently strict definition of orbit. It's not just that trying to contravene requires some absurd explanation, but it actually requires that our reality not be what it seems and that's not a very useful proposition. We measure the angular acceleration the Earth experiences, for example, as it orbits. Likewise, an alternative to germ theory needs to explain... the exact and entire process described by germ theory.

Relativity is a good case to look at. It did not supplant Newtonian mechanics - it explains that they dominate in most instances. That's why it's called relativity, as it follows that principle. We do not, however, have any understanding of the underlying mechanism.

gray said:
I ought to put this in, the one thing that has been drill into me through classes, and every researcher I've ever talked to, is that nothing is really 'fact' it's just the best guess we have based on the information we have at the time.

We call verified observations facts because worrying about otherwise (via solipsism or whathaveyou) is in general a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom