Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Price We Pay (Amaranthine & Procyonix)

Nodding Aaron said, "I understand, baby. We never quite got over one another I guess, huh? But it's ok, really. We'll figure this out, like we always do." He gave her hand a squeeze and waited for her to pay. Once she was done, he said, "Well why don't I just give you a ride home, that way we get there together?"

He took her arm in his and lead her out to his car. The dark burgundy Fusion was comfortable, stylish yet normal. Not the sort of vehicle most expected a lawyer to drive. But he liked it. And on his salary with the situation with Heather, it was about as much as he could afford and still be able to save for the future.

Once they arrived he held the door for her. As they made their way up the stairs, he was already trying to decide what he would do if she was pregnant with his child. She and he had a history, both good and bad. But he did still love her, he couldn't deny that any more. Perhaps that had been what had always seemed off with Heather: simply put, she wasn't Bree. Competing with a ghost was hard enough, but when that ghost came back from the other side, how could he be fair to either woman?

Brianna's heart almost broke when Aaron called her "baby", a pet name reminiscent from when they were young and in love - and a name that was not truly hers to bear. The worst part was how much she missed it, and how much she wished that could be their thing yet again. She accepted his offer to drive over to her place - it made a lot more sense than going separately when only one of them had a vehicle. Just like in the old days she walked pretty much everywhere; she had a license, but she didn't have the experience nor the vehicle to make use of it. She let him hook their arms together and tried not to focus too hard on what it felt like to be touching him again, sober this time, and she gave him a small but sweet smile as he opened the passenger-side door for her.

Once buckled in she gave him the address and then step-by-step instructions anyways. Over the course of the trip she downed the whole bottle of orange juice that she had got with the test. After getting to her building she unlocked the door, took the several flights of stairs up to her floor, and then unlocked her apartment. The place was small and littered with a few boxes here and there from things that she hadn't unpacked just yet. She kicked off her shoes and walked in to the kitchen right beside the entry way. After reaching her fridge and looked over at Aaron kind of awkwardly. "You... want something to drink?" She asked, because she was going in there to grab a water bottle for herself.

If so she grabbed him one and tossed it gently at him before closing the fridge door back up; if not she only grabbed herself one. Either way she then walked in to the living room, using a quick gesture of her fingers to say that Aaron was allowed to follow her. The couch would be familiar - he would have sat on it before in her father's living room years ago, back when she would sneak him over while her dad was at work. She'd inherited it about a month back when she moved in to the apartment, and her dad had been grateful to hand it over as it was an excuse to get a new one. It was old but it was comfy and in one piece. "You can sit, turn the tv on or something. I need a few minutes to get the liquid through my system so we can... talk or something I suppose."

Aaron noted that she took her shoes off, so he did likewise. It was her place, and she left her shoes at the door, then he would as well. It was a small place, but somehow it suited her perfectly. She was never one for fancy as he remembered. "I'll take a water, thanks," he answered her question as he moved to sit down on the couch.
It was an awkward moment, for them both. There was no denying that they still had that connection. They always had been good together that way.

And he knew that there was a lot more there on his side. But was there enough there to try to rekindle things? Of course, was he worthy of rekindling things? She had pointed out, he had cheated on her, and now with her. Was he worthy of love when he seemed to think so little about fidelity?

"No problem, Bree," he told her softly. "Take your time. Like you, I have a lot on my mind as you can imagine." He gave her a weak but warm apologetic smile. He was scared honestly. The idea of making her pregnant was both a dream come true, and his worst nightmare. He wondered how she felt about the idea.

He had a lot on his mind - of course he did. Though this situation was complicated for both of them, Aaron was still the one with a partner. As if the possibility of being knocked up wasn't hard on its own given that she had just finally came out to family and the likes. Aaron was never supposed to happen again - sure, she kind of knew that he would always be her exception but she had sworn that she had enough self control (and respect for the fact that he had a girl) to even consider laying her hands on him.

... Obviously, neither of them were very good at keeping their own word. Sometimes it was like she hadn't grown up at all, but he was the only person to ever make her feel that way. It seemed like they could spend forever apart and still end up drawn together. Even just sitting on the couch beside him, as tense as she felt given their situation, Bree was still barely able to fight the urge to put her hand on his thigh or grasp his hand in her own. This was a nightmare but in another world, if things had been a little different... Fuck, this would have been a dream come true.

"So..." She'd sat in quiet for a moment before speaking up again. "If this is really happening, what the fuck are we going to do? I don't wanna ruin your relationship, that's not fair, but... I dunno."

Aaron knew this was wrong. They were not supposed to be in this situation. But, truthfully, could he honestly say that he was sorry they were together now? Having had a drunken one night stand was one thing, but the possibility that they might be linked to one another permanently this time was another. And he couldn't honestly say the prospect scared him. It should, he knew, he should be more interested in his relationship. But he wasn't. If she was in fact pregnant, Aaron's first responsibility was to the child and it's mother.

“What do we do? Well for me, the answer is easy. If you are going to have my child, I need to be supportive. Both financially, and emotionally. I don't know if that means we get together or not, but my first and foremost obligation is to you and the child. And to be honest, you're not the one hurting my relationship. Once more it was me not being able to...” he started and stopped. He decided it was time for him to face the truth. While drunken, he knew that even sober, he would have wanted her.

“Truthfully, had it been anyone but you, I would have been faithful this time. But there is so much..” he paused, and then finished the sentence, “unsettled business with us. So much history. So many emotions, good and bad.” He sighed, reaching out to her, he pulled her close to him and against him putting his arm around you. “I hurt you once. I won't abandon you a second time.”

Was it bad how strangely relieving Aaron's statements were to the troubled, anxious girl who was now rested in her arms? Though he had admitted his feelings, Brianna had a hard time speaking up for a few moments afterwards. There was a lot to sink in, both about the gravity of their situation as well as how he was feeling about things.

After a moment she spoke up again, in a hushed tone like she barely dared to speak. "Is it bad if... I kind of want this test to be positive? That means I can have you in some degree and I dunno.... You've always felt kind of inevitable to me, even if I tried my hardest to ignore it." Bree knew that was a terrible, terrible way to think about things. Even if Aaron had just admitted that he would wholly be around (something she would believe when she saw it, but wanted to put faith in) she still felt bad about the situation. The more thinking that she did, though, the more she wanted to be able to give this a chance. If he'd waited just a couple months to meet and then get in to a relationship with Heather, there was a chance that they would have been together now anyways as she had been on the verge of seeing him as a better man and wanting to give him a shot.

In a sick, twisted way this was a dream come true - but with a (potential) kid in the mix.

"Hey, I should go actually, y'know, take the test." She wasn't trying to walk away from the conversation - the sooner they found out the better, and she really was starting to need to pee. With that she gave Aaron's arm a quick squeeze (a "here's hoping" kind of gesture - though what they were hoping for was in the air) before walking off, taking the test and then starting what would likely be the longest three minutes of her life. She was quiet throughout the whole time and paced, waiting for an alarm she set on her phone to go off. Once it started dinging she looked towards Aaron. "Do you want to find out with me?"

Aaron considered her question. Was it bad of her to hope she was pregnant? That it would put him back in her life prominently? That she wanted that, told him a lot about how she felt, even as she opened up about the inevitability of him. That made him feel... good. Happy even. He thought about his relationship with Heather, how it had been growing increasingly difficult. Thinking about it, the coming minutes would be a turning point in that relationship, either way. Either he would leave her and ask Bri to move in with him, or he would have to move in with Heather. He wouldn't be able to afford both houses and save money for a child and mother to support. So he would be likely cohabiting with somebody by months end. The question was which woman?

If he was honest with himself, he knew that answer. Heather was never Bri. And he had realized since they had met and had their encounter, that he wanted her back in his life. She had always been the woman he truly loved. Sure he had made mistakes along the way, been an ass to her. But truth be told, she was right, they were inevitable for the other. "No, I don't think it's bad, honestly. as much as it will complicate my life short term, I hope so too."

When he got up to take the test he considered how he was going to handle things. If she wasn't pregnant, how would he handle the disappointment? he knew she as the one he belonged with. That Heather had run from him at this first major fight between them told him a lot about her character. That she wasn't willing to work to fix things when they were broken. As Bri broke his chain of thought, he nodded. Standing up and putting his arm around her. "I do indeed," he told her with a smile.

Last edited:
As expected, these were the longest few minutes of Bree's life. It was easier, a hell of a lot so, now that she knew that Aaron would want to be in her life, but fuck. Though overall she found herself hopeful, something that in itself was nervewracking, but at least she knew that this was not something she would be going through alone. As much as she had tried to deny it over the last few days, she was pretty sure that she already knew what the test was about to tell her. The nausea, that little bit of crankiness that was rarely found in her, the subtle couple pounds the scale had already gained (unnoticeable to anyone besides herself still, of course) - it all pointed to one thing.

"Come on then," Bree said as she tucked herself in close to his side. For the moment she felt safe - assured. Nervous but comfortable, in a strange manner. The pair made their way to the bathroom where she had left the test sitting upside down on the sink, and though a weight formed in her through Brianna didn't give in to the urge to just turn around and walk away. Her fingers trembled as she reached out and grabbed it by the clean end, flipping it towards them at a level where they would both be able to see it.

Pregnant.

Aaron for his part was nervous as well. I would be awkward if she was, and yet, a large part of him would be disappointed if she wasn't. So much of their lives as adults had been spent either together, or trying to not be, but finding themselves together regardless. Like in this situation. Neither of them went to that bar looking for the other for sex. She had wanted company. And while he should have known that it would lead to sex, given their history, he was too drunk to really give a damn that night. And mad at Heather. But did that mean he was going to drop her like the recyclables on collection day? Was he that sort of man? Well, clearly he was the sort of man to not be faithful. Twice now. Once on Bree and once with Bree. Admittedly, the second instance had been much better. She was perfectly tuned to be his lover after all these years. They both knew how to flip the others switches.

As the answer came up he let out the breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. So there it was. He was going to be a father. With the woman he had loved so intensely for so long. Yes the euphoria of that was tempered by the fact that it meant that something would have to change. He couldn't support both her and their child and Heather. It also meant, somebody would get hurt, likely badly. The part of him that thought that part through, loathed himself and what he had done. The crisis for two women he cared about. In the end, the answer was clear. He had to decide in Bree's favor. He got her pregnant, it was his duty as a man and father to take care of her now.

Sliding his hand around her waist, he pulled her to him. Gazing deeply into her eyes, he smiled warmly. "Guess you're stuck with me, Bree," he teased. Lifting her chin up, he kissed her for the first time since she had returned when both of them were very sober. It was a soft deep kiss, the sort he had given her countless times when they were in love and happy. Those deep soulful kisses that curled even his toes. Holding her tightly as if afraid she would evaporate if he let her go, he held the kiss for as long as they could stand before breaking it. 'Is it bad to say, i am happy with the result?" he asked her.

In that moment, Bree had a whirlwind of emotions. When she was young she had wanted to be a mom - carried her dolls around like they were her own children for years until her mother had told her that she was too old for that stuff and then conveniently "lost" Jonny and Molly (her dolls). As a teenager she had wondered what it would be like, a few times even prayed that their carelessness would give them a connection forever. How in hell they had managed to not get pregnant back in high school when they were being so stupidly careless together, even after the breakup, Bree wasn't sure. She'd thought about it more as she got older - wondered what things would have been like if one of those scares had been real. It wasn't like the chance had never been there, and even when she was too naive to properly embrace the severity of what she had risked with him, Bree had been okay with it.

After realizing that she was about ninety nine percent in to women, she had kind of accepted the idea that if one day she did have a child, it would be planned. Accidents were no longer a risk in her life, or weren't supposed to be. Now? Now it was real - and she had to fight the urge to puke then and there from the shock of it. Luckily, she didn't - but she did take a moment to think before she even moved, Hell, it was his kiss that encouraged her to come back to this plane of reality.

"Is it bad to say that I am too?" She finally said quietly, peering out of her bathroom to look around her one bedroom apartment. She'd just moved in here and she would already need more space - that would be fun. At least she still had eight months to figure that out, though, and for the first year or so it wasn't like they really needed more space of their own than their crib... She would find a way to make things work. "You know I've always wanted kids, but I stopped thinking that I'd ever have the chance to be able to have one with you."

Nodding, Aaron understood. They were a done thing, a relic of a younger era when they were in love and foolish. And then out of love and more foolish. But had they really ever actually been out of love? It was starting to look more and more like that wasn't the case. It had changed forms, certainly. What they shared now wasn't the puppy love their youth. But was it enough to form a family around? His parents had always taught him that love found a way. And that it would in the end, conquer all. But it wasn't that sort of idealistic young love that kids had. No, love was giving of oneself for the better of the couple. Not asking for the other to do it all. But shared. Thinking about what his life was like right now. The difference between that ideal he had been raised to expect, what he had with Heather certainly wasn't love. She took and took and took, and if she had to give, she threw a fit and ran off to mother's. That had been what had started all of this after all. Her running away at precisely the right time for Bree to return to his life.

But was that fair? To blame Heather? If love found a way, her departure that weekend had been a part of the larger plan. Was this where he was supposed to be? Here, now, with his long time girlfriend turned lesbian pregnant in his arms? Neither of them seemed to regret the action, the fact that she was going to have his child. Kissing her once more, he scooped her up into his arms and carried her to the bedroom. Once he set her down, he moved to lay with her, though he did take his shoes off first. "Bree," he said quietly, "If you could have anything at the moment, from me, or with me. What would you want? I mean in regards to you and the child's future?" He knew what he thought was best, the old time honored tradition of marrying the girl who was going to mother your child. But what if she just wanted him to be the sperm donor? He had heard of lesbian couples sending the 'girl" in their relationship out to get knocked up. But that didn't seem the case here. No, that didn't feel right. Bree wouldn't use him like that.

But at the same time, finding out she was pregnant and then him proposing might seem forced to her. After all, officially, he was still in a relationship with Heather. Not much of one apparently, but one regardless. That wouldn't likely last much longer. IF she would have him, he knew that marrying Bree was the right thing to do, and if he was honest with himself, something he still wanted from their youth together. She had always been the girl whom he wanted to grow old together with. Just he had to grow up to catch up to her maturity wise. Undoing the buttons of her blouse, he kissed the soft skin it revealed softly.

Aaron was the only person who had ever made Brianna believe in the concept of fate. Once upon a time she had considered him her soulmate, until things got too hard and she had no longer felt like she had stood a chance at being happy (healthy) with him. She had moved on, or at least sworn that she had. Yet, despite that, here she was - so many years later and so many changes since, but somehow this man had made himself inevitable to her once more. She'd gone and grown up - gone to school, got a job - but still here she was. She'd sworn she would never feel for a man again because she hadn't since her days with him, so maybe she had just been mistaking it? Maybe she had just been young and wanting to feel loved?

She didn't know. Nowadays, it felt like she knew nothing at all. Like always, Aaron had scooped in and thrown her off her feet and that was something she had sworn would never happen again. It wasn't just them involved now, though. This game had gotten a lot more risky because now their was another life at play, a child innocent to their whims of old - and new. There was now no place in her life for Bree to allow Aaron to walk all over her again, so she found herself praying that she worried for naught.

She laughed as he picked her up, though - smiled to him as he put her down on her own bed. Nothing felt more natural than the way he laid beside her, head cocked to eye her with a soft, caring look that made her want to melt on the spot. "I want you to be here," she said to him as he undid the buttons on her top. His lips met her soft skin and she curled her fingers in to his hair, let her eyes flutter closed as a soft sigh escaped her lips. "I know you have a girlfriend... and that I'm terrible for wanting this right now... but we could make one good family together, Aaron."

Aaron smiled, as she spoke. Her hands in his hair making him feel like they had before, when they had been young and in love. And perhaps while they were not quite so young as then, they were still very apparently in love. Her skin was flawless as he kissed it, just like he remembered it. Even though he had seen it not all that long ago, that had been when they were both drunk. This time, they were both very sober. Sobered even more by the fact that their drunken night of passion had created a new life. A life they would need to take care of, and would take care of: together. She was right about the girlfriend, but he had decided that for the sake of the child, Bree came first. And having thought about it as much as he had, he knew it was what he wanted as well. Pulling her breast from her bra, he sucked the nipple softly. "It's alright, Bree," he told her between sucks. "I'd already decided that if you wanted me, I would be yours."

Stopping for the moment, he rolled over on top of her and looked down into her eyes. "I can't afford keeping up two homes for a girl who can't commit and take care of a child as well as it's mother too. And my first priority and commitment has to be to our child, and to you. And I think it's safe to say, neither of us really got over the other. Now I no longer need to be," he said softly. "And that makes me very happy. It will take me a little time to break things off, let her find a new place. But since you're only half unpacked, why don't you move in with me? Once I am officially free, I want you to be my woman again, officially, I mean. You know, with that whole ring thing?" Looking around, he found the water bottle he had been drinking, and took the cap off. The plastic ring that the cap had been sealed to originally came off in his hands, and he placed it on her left ring finger, "Marry me, Bree...." he said solemnly.

Back
Top Bottom