• World War I

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • World War II

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Korean War

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Vietnam War

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • World War III (United States vs. Soviet Union)

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Modern Warfare

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Zombie Apocalypse

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Major Kusanagi

The Major
Banished
Alright, I have a few ideas for some military-themed role-plays where the player characters are in a squad or platoon of soldiers deployed in a war zone. It could be historical, modern, or maybe even near future, and all scenarios would invoke an Alternate History-type scenario where females are allowed to serve on the front lines alongside their fellow male soldiers. I could even go for an all-female platoon as well.

I'd prefer if the players were ordinary grunts rather than elite Special Operations units, but I am open to the idea of the PC's playing elite commando types if that is what is demanded most.

I'm also open to futanari, hermaphrodite, or other non-standard genders if enough players are comfortable with such things. I've not done much with such characters, but I am willing to experiment and if other players like it, I won't judge.

Overall, I'd like the characters to have a sort of anime-inspired look or feel to them, so if I get enough interest to start a character signup thread, I'd prefer if the PC's would use either a written description or an anime picture of their character's appearance.

As for the actual setting, I'd prefer either 20th Century or 21st Century settings, but I have a few notable plots in mind and I'll attach a poll listing the options.

Sounds fun, I would love to do an RP like this.

I do want to say I'm not big on doing a zombie apocalypse, but if we do do that we should do something like World War Z (the book, NOT the movie).

frightorflight said:

I do want to say I'm not big on doing a zombie apocalypse, but if we do do that we should do something like World War Z (the book, NOT the movie).

I'm not big on zombie apocalypse scenarios either, but I know it's a popular trope so I figured I'd include it.

Hawkeye said:
frightorflight said:

I'm not big on zombie apocalypse scenarios either, but I know it's a popular trope so I figured I'd include it.

O good, well if we do end up doing that we should do it like the World War Z novel because it's not just your standard "o no, zombies are eating the whole world" kind of deal. In that humans manage to fight, contain, and purge, more or less, the threat, and it has a big military focus which works well for an RP. Also it has slow moving, walking dead style zombies, which I like, because the horde of ant style zombies you get a lot of these days aren't nearly as interesting to me.

I would prefer something something 20th century or earlier though.

frightorflight said:
Hawkeye said:
frightorflight said:

O good, well if we do end up doing that we should do it like the World War Z novel because it's not just your standard "o no, zombies are eating the whole world" kind of deal. In that humans manage to fight, contain, and purge, more or less, the threat, and it has a big military focus which works well for an RP. Also it has slow moving, walking dead style zombies, which I like, because the horde of ant style zombies you get a lot of these days aren't nearly as interesting to me.

I would prefer something something 20th century or earlier though.

I also prefer the slow traditional zombie over the running zombie of newer films, but like you, I'd prefer a 20th Century Scenario, especially Vietnam or Korea.

I can get behind one of those. Especially if we pick up any feminine characters, I feel those would fit better.

frightorflight said:
I can get behind one of those. Especially if we pick up any feminine characters, I feel those would fit better.

Agreed.

I am thinking this RP would be somewhat sandbox in its presentation. For a Korean War scenario, players can be either the Americans, UN Coalition Troops, or South Koreans and would be fighting against the North Koreans, Soviets, and Chinese Communist forces.

Vietnam would have the US Army, US Marines, US Navy, and ARVN forces as playable factions, pitted against the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong.

I´ve always been a fan of military themes. I was even considering doing a X-Com RP for other forums, setting it in now-times, until I realized I´m too lazy to do the Flashearth battle maps.

So count me in for this one. I´d be up for something Modern Warfare (you mean the CoD games? ) or slightly futuristic.

Good to see more people on board with this.

Would you guys be interested in a World War III scenario? It'd be an Alternate History scenario where the Cold War never ended and war breaks out between NATO and the Soviet Union but does not go nuclear. It's the idea with the most votes so far and the one I'm most interested in.

It'd be inspired by the game Twilight 2000, a tabletop RPG from the 1980's with a similar theme, but it would not be directly based off of it.

That one would require the most world-building, but that isn't a deal-breaker. How far in the future would this be?

kckolbe said:
That one would require the most world-building, but that isn't a deal-breaker. How far in the future would this be?

It'd be an alternate timeline. The Cold War goes hot and World War III breaks out around the late 1980's/early 1990's and drags on for years and years, leading to the "present day" of the 2000's and 2010's in which decades of endless and bloody stalemates has led to a global economic collapse and a breakdown in command and communications, causing great civil unrest and resulting in military chain of command barely existing past the platoon level, especially in the front lines of Europe and the Korean Peninsula. Fortunately, the war has not gone nuclear, at least for now.

I'm thinking of having the RP start in an alternate 2002, specifically during the springtime on the frontlines of Central Europe and Eastern Europe, the war itself having been ongoing since 1988 or 1989.

I am envisioning the RP to be a rather dark and melancholic one, that blends anime aesthetics with archetypes from Gothic fiction and dystopian works as well.

Major influences include Twilight 2000, Cold War history (particularly during the 1970's and 1980's), and the film Red Dawn (the original film from the 1980's, not the crappy 2012 remake).

I like the WW III idea. It sounds like after years it would have settled into something resembling Korea or WW I. Trench warfare, fixed positions, fighting for every yeard. If we are setting it in thr 80's we could have the Soviet-Afghan war as the flashpoint. If we moved it up to the early 90's we could have the collapse of the union as a flash piont. Instead of the fall of the union a coup in the USSR resulted in a hard line regime, simillar to Stallin's, that launched the war in a year or two. Which would bring the start date to say, 94/95.

frightorflight said:
I like the WW III idea. It sounds like after years it would have settled into something resembling Korea or WW I. Trench warfare, fixed positions, fighting for every yeard. If we are setting it in thr 80's we could have the Soviet-Afghan war as the flashpoint. If we moved it up to the early 90's we could have the collapse of the union as a flash piont. Instead of the fall of the union a coup in the USSR resulted in a hard line regime, simillar to Stallin's, that launched the war in a year or two. Which would bring the start date to say, 94/95.

I could easily work with those scenarios, actually. I sort of imagine the tech levels at that of the 1980's and 1990's, so it would work best if the RP takes place sometime in that era.

I'll begin working on a signup thread.

I apologize for the double-post, but the signup thread is up!

https://bluemoonroleplaying.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=89363

Rivine said:
Well this sounds like fun! Especially the WWIII scenario.

Glad you like it. Be sure to check out the Character Creation thread.

The RP is titled "Warfighter 2000" and I'm running with the WWIII scenario at full speed.

Back
Top Bottom