Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The New Falls: A Gravity Falls RP between freckled_beauty and east

freckled_beauty

Queen HunyBee
10 long trying years have passed since that fated summer. It had all been so magical and wonderful, or that's what Mabel Pines had believed so long ago. Summer had even their birthday came and went, and they returned home, forever changed and now entering 8th grade. The spastic tween had come home glowing brighter than ever before. Mabel had always been this intense ball of energy that shined brighter than sun. Loved like there was no tomorrow, and such passion it was difficult for her parents to keep up with everything she wanted to try in life. One thing was for sure though crafting was her one true love, and even after everything that happened that love never went away. In fact it was the one thing that helped to keep her grounded.

When the Pines twins returned home to Piedmont, California at the end of the summer Mabel had oodles and oodles of stories to share with her parents and friends, but no proof. Only her memories of how her summer unfolded. When Bill Cipher had worked his magic on the town much of it was destroyed including her summer scrapbook that she had worked on. It had documented everything that happened on all their adventures, from her winning Waddles, to Gideon's obsession, and going into Stan's head to save the shack, even the fun times she had with Grenda and Candy. And so Mabel shared her stories, after single one of them. At first her parents would laugh, and be surprised at how wonderful her adventures were. They took her wild imaginative stories as their daughter having had a good summer vacation. That is until the nightmares began. Dark awful dreams she had of all that she had gone through. It was PTSD but no one saw it as such. Her parents understood that something happened to their daughter, something so awful that her mind had completely blocked it. First they confronted Dipper, asked if he could explain what was going on with his sister, why she was having these nightmares, and insisting her outrageous stories were true. When Dipper could provide no answer they placed Mabel in therapy. For a short while it helped, but the nightmares continued, and she still insisted what she said was true.

With all people they reach a breaking point. That point was christmas eve after their 16th birthday. Mabel had gone through a stressful week, and a particularly bad dream that caused her to sleep walk right into the middle of lake. Had someone not gotten to Mabel when they did she most likely would have died from exposure to the elements. She had fallen through the thin ice of the lake. When she woke she had been committed to a mental institution told she would stay for treatment until the doctors had decided she was no longer a threat to herself or the people around her. That stay lasted one year and six months. When she was released all her relationships were broken. She rarely spoke to her parents, and Dipper...well she hadn't spoken to him since the day she had been placed in the hospital. She didn't want to see him. He had abandoned her when she need him the most. He had convinced everyone around them that she was a lair, and something in her had broken and needed fixing. Eventually she became to believe that too.

After being released Mabel decided to go to the local community college. She obtained her associates of arts degree and took up a job at Michael's. She became "normal", she had a job and a small apartment near downtown, and even had an Etsy store online where she sold all sorts of things from pillows, to blankets, to sweaters, even clothes and plushies. She even had a cat whom she named Carlos.

About a week ago Mabel had received a letter in the mail from Grunkle Stan begging her to come to Gravity Falls, something had happened and he needed to see her. It only took her a day to decided what she was going to do. Mabel had decided to go, it must be some family something. She packed her bags, put in for some PTO, bought her bus ticket and headed to Oregon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Thank you for choosing Greyhound. We hope your ride was comfortable, and Welcome to Gravity Falls, Oregon. We hope you enjoy your stay."

Mabel grabbed her backpack and headed off the bus, she then got her other two suitcases from underneath. With her luggage gathered Mabel got and Uber and asked to be taken to the Mystery Shack.
"Mystery Shack?! You sure about that Miss? That place has been closed for some time now."
"What? Really?" She asked surprised and pushed her long brown hair out of her face. "Yeah. Please take me." She said and leaned back in the seat and buckled up. The ride was short about 20 minutes, and soon enough she was standing outside the shack with her luggage. "Thank you." She said and paid the man before he quickly drove off. With a heavy sigh she pulled her luggage through the leaf covered ground and up on to the damaged porch. She bit her lower lip seeing the door was already cracked open. Cautiously she pushed it open and left her luggage on the porch. She pulled out her cellphone and pepper spray from her backpack. Mabel turned on the flashlight and held the pepper spray at arm's length and carefully slowly went inside the shack.
"H.Hello? If anyone's in here they better say so or else get an eyeball full of pepper spray!" She called out loud enough to be heard and began to move into the shack.

10 years ago the world had almost ended. Everyone in a small town in oreagon knew it, but at the same time outside of the bubble of strange and wierd that surrounded the town of gravityfalls knew nothing, and to them it had been an average wensday. During those short days while packing up Dipper had held a conversation with Stanford, and talked about what it would look like if Bill ever got out of gravity falls.

Dipper's one and only job from that day was to protect Mabel, but like his great uncle he had pretty well failed in that endevor. He thought that by hiding all that had happened over that summer he would do her a favor. That she would move on, forget, and that they would just go back to being the wierd set of twins at school. Mabel would grow up normal and he would attend her wedding, and all the while probably hate the guy, but he could never imagine a future with mabel not in it.

Until he had pulled her out of the ice, he had never once pictured a world without her, and had tried to send letters, but they had either never arrived or had never been accepted. Mabel had not spoken to him since that day, and so he had done other things gone to college followed in great uncle fords foot steps, become a genious, and all the while knew full well that he had left his sister to suffer a fate worse than he could imagine.

~~~~

When he had gotten the letter to come back to gravity falls he had been uncomfortable. He had drove to the small town, and felt immediately like a runaway coming home. The letter had been strange, uncomfortable, and contained the deed to the shack.

A shack which had seen better days. Still he could use this place in the same way that his uncles had used this place. Soos had moved in with his girlfriend going to her family, and Ford and Stan, well he wasn't too sure of what had happened to them.

He knew they had sent the letter, but he didn't know much else it was a mystery to be sure. One that he would probably have to sort out in the.

He heard a voice one that he hadn't heard in a long time. It filled him with equal parts dread, and joy to hear it again. "M-Mabel?"

He yelled out as he had been upstairs in the room the two of them had once shared as kids, it honestly looked like it hadn't been touched since that summer, the beds were still made, there was even a changing sheet like they used to have in the rooms they shared. Gods he had missed her. "I'm upstairs, don't pepper me I'm coming down."

With that he started down the rickety stairs walking towards his twin, equal parts unsure of what to say, and really what they were doing here. The thought at the back of his mind wondering if Mabel was really Mabel, the last time they had been in this town there had been shapeshifters, and of course Bill. But Bill was gone. "Mabel... it's good to see you again."

She moved around the shack. Past the staircase stepping down into the den. She swallowed looking around and took a breath to steady her nerves. She turned around quickly at the sound of the voice. It was one she hadn't heard in a long time. Her eyes widened and her heart rate picked up, and beat hard in her chest.
"Can't be." She whispered to herself. He then spoke again "Dipper?" She asked and heard the stairs creak and moan under weight they hadn't carried in a long time.

With her arm still extended and her thumb positioned on the trigger Mabel didn't move until he came into the light of her phone. She lowered her hand and took a step closer to him. She put the pepper spray into her pocket and lowered her phone so that the light was not shining in Dipper’s face. Hes glad to see me. Now those were strange words to hear. “Yeah, right.” She said and turned her back to him and headed to the gift shop. Compared to the front entrance it was just as bad. Caked in dust. Behind the register was the breaker box. She found it pretty quickly and as she flipped each switch a hum could be heard as the lights flickered on. A small smile graced her round face as the once dark building seemingly came to life. She was glad that they came on. She couldn’t deal with darkness too much as it was one of her triggers.
“So what are you doing here? Where’s Grunkle Stan and Grunkle Ford?” She asked Dipper keeping some distance between the two of them.

dipper actually wanted to hug his sister, but was stopped by the cold shoulder he was presented with, when she passed off his excitement with a simple yeah right it felt like a quick stab through the gut. One he had probably come to deserve after all these years.

Dipper looked around for a moment unsure what to say when she asked him why he was hear and where their uncles had gone too. He was kind of uncomfortable after the sudden reunion. Sure he had wanted to talk with Mabel for a long time, but knowing that they were having a talk now was almost difficult to manage.

"I got a letter from Ford, telling me to come back here, and well... it had this." He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out the deed to the shack handing it over to Mabel to look over. "I only got here about thirty minutes ago, so I have no idea what's going on. I was just about to check."

He paused for a moment instead of saying the basement. It was one of those things he hadn't talked about with Mabel or backed her up on. She was probably convinced it didn't exist, so he wasn't about to try and open that huge can of worms. "I was about to check the grounds outside to see what was going on. See if there were any clues laying around."

Mabel watched as he reached inside his jacket and pulled out some folded up paper. She raised her brow and then took it from him. She opened it up and scanned over the document. “This is the deed.” she stated and then handed it back to him. She opened up her backpack and pulled out the letter she had received. Nothing important was contained in it. “I got a letter from Stan. It just said to come that he had something urgent to tell me.” She said and looked over the letter before extending it to her brother. “Here. Maybe you’ll see something in it that I don’t.” She suggested. Dipper had always been the smarter one.

She looked around the register and smiled when she found what it was she was looking for. A set of spare keys. This would probably help them get into any doors that would be locked. “Well you start looking around outside and I’ll look around the main floor and we can regroup here.” She said and gave him a friendly smile. “Alright let’s see if they’ve been here cause it seems to me like no one has even opened this place in over a year.” She said and headed into the back of the shop to look around.

Of course the first thing Dipper did with the letter was attempt to find any cryptograms that Stan had woven in. While their grunkle wasn't the usual genious when it came to codes that their great uncle had been he could usually expect to see something, and yet there wasn't anything immediately apparent. For now he would hold onto the letter and check it for things like invisible ink later.

What was more apparent in his mind was the semi friendly smile that Mabel had just given him. It wasn't the all is forgiven moment he had been dreaming of, but it was a start an invitation to work along side her again, at least while they had the common goal of finding out what was going on. It wasn't that difficult to imagine his life without Mabel anymore, he had five years to know what that was like, and just seeing her smile agian actually made him happy.

"Yeah I'll go check around." He said finally leaving the room she was in. He was worried, he hadn't expected to see Mabel here again. He honestly didn't know how deep the damage was with her years of therapy. When he had lied to their parents about the events here part of him had still been trying to cope with all that he had seen, and there was some part of him that had been mad at Mabel for both causing Wierdmaggadon, and then creating an alternative version of him, replacing him with... Dippy-fresh. Ten years later and that still got him angry.

As he walked out of the shack, and took in the early summer air, the warm breeze and everything that made this place feel good, he was worried. He had a few places he wanted to check, the last time they had been here he had found fords bunker basically on accident, and it had given him the clues for everything that had followed. So maybe that was the place to start now?

"I wonder just how much this town has changed?" He said softly, looking around his drive hadn't showed too much change. He guessed sleepy towns didn't really move to the same pace as a larger city. "Wonder how wendy and them are doing, probably pissed i never wrote to them like i said i would."

Mabel began her hunt for any signs of life or having lived in. There were none in the shop, nor the small kitchen or spare bedrooms, on that side of the house, and especially not in the exhibit rooms. She sighed and turned away. “I remember this play being so full of life. It’s-“ Her sentenced stopped as she heard rustling coming from upstairs. She tilted her head and moved towards the stairs hearing it once again.
“Hello?” She began to climb the stairs. She was sure that no one could be up here as Dipper had come down the stairs when she entered. “Is someone up here?” She continued reached the top of the stairs and shined her flashlight on her phone to the left and only saw the weak door of the linen closet. She heard the scratching once more and turned to her right sharply. As the light hit the opposite end of the hall it caught a flash of something. Something small and fast that scurried into the open room at the end of the hall. “What the fuck!” She whispered and hesitantly headed down the hall. Mabel stood out the door waiting in anticipation for something or someone to jump out and scream boo and scare her pale. She heard the scratching again, and then something that sounded like a voice. She furrowed her brow and pushed the door open. Even though the window were dirty some sunlight still shone through them, and Mabel saw in the corner a creature. It was small, with razor sharp teeth, and a distinctly pointed hat. “W..what?” IT scurried towards Mabel and darted between her legs into a hole in the wall. Unsure of what to do to defend herself from it as it ran to her Mabel screamed and pressed her back to the wall.

As Mable screamed Dipper ran for his life up the stairs. Seeing Mabel on the ground and fighting against the all too familiar vistage of a gnome. Grabbing the nearest broom he swiped at the creature. "Bad gnome leave my sister alone."

Hitting the creature he fell off of mabel. The creature paused for a moment as it looked at the two of them one eye blinking than the other. "Schembulock juniour." Before scampering out the window.

"Great now we have that infestation to deal with. So much for an easy move in. Mabel are you okay?"

Mabel slowly stood up steadying herself and dusted her self off with her hands. Her hair was no messy due to the creature having messed it up. She turned to look at Mabel and the hole in the wall where it had run to hide. Hopefully to stay for a while.
"Yes I'm okay, but what was that thing?" It didn't look like any animal." She said and folded her arms across her stomach after placing her phone into her back left pocket. She glanced at the hole once more before leaving the room and heading back downstairs. She wasn't comfortable staying up there after what just happened, but who would be?

"What do you mean move in? You're staying here?" She questioned.

When Mabel asked him what that thing was it was difficult to come up with an imediate answer, of course he knew what the gnome was, but should he just tell Mabel? he remembered her mental break downs, and wondered just how fragile her emotional state was, but at the same time he couldn't exactly spare her from the truth anymore, and now that he had her back in his life he didn't want her to go. "It was a Gnome Mabel, remember they were like the first strange thing we ever encountered here."

He didn't want to go into too much detail, but he figured that he couldn't exactly do this gentle, it was probably for the best if he ripped off the bandaid. "Yes Mabel i'm going to stay here, and I was kind of hoping that you would join me. What ever reason we got called back here, one thing is for sure... I can't solve a mystery without you."

Mabel rolled her eyes and sighed. First He taunts me then ask me to stay? He must be joking. Mabel thought silently to herself, and then remembered her brother was far to serious to joke around.

“Dipper I don’t have any intentions of staying long term. I never did.” She explained to him “I want to know where Grunkle Stan, and Ford are but as soon as we know what happened and get the shack sorted away I’m going back to my home. To my job, and my shop, and my cat.” She said firmly. Mabel frowned looking around the rotted living room. Even as a kid the shag carpet was ancient and outdated. Now it was noting but a relic of the past. She took a seat at the dust covered playing card table and looked to Dipper. “You might have happy memories of this place but I don’t!” She slammed her hand on to the table stirring up dirt and dust. She inhaled sharply twice before sneezing.

“And that gnome comment wasn’t funny! I know things like that aren’t real.” She didn’t allow herself to look him in the face. It wasn’t easy. She knew coming was gonna be a difficult thing to do, but she had hoped he would be kind enough not to bring up the past. “I...I think we should try to make one or two of the rooms livable and the kitchen.” She added before sneezing once again.

Dipper didn't want to see the hurt on Mabel's face when she claimed she had no good memories of this place. Part of him wondered if he could grab the memory eraser gun, wipe out all of the therapy sessions she had been through, but then knowing how that device worked he would just loose Mabel in some other way. He looked at Mabel worried for her when she said that she knew stuff didn't exist, and in his stomach he knew all of what she was saying and what she had been through had been his fault.

He couldn't convince her that it was real he would have to show her. "Mabel." He stood up wondering if he should even go through that? Sure he didn't want her to just walk out of his life again, but forcing her to go through some sort of traumatic relapse would be just as bad for her mental health.

one day at a time that was the only way he could manage it. "I know you hate me now, but do you think that while we are here... we could just pretend to like each other again? I missed you... a lot."

The idea that Mabel could have not missed him, that somehow she had in fact come to hate him was painful in it's own way. As for making a room livable. "We could clean up the attic room, it still has two... beds."

He was asking his now adult sister to sleep in the same room as him, they hadn't shared a room since she was sixteen and Dipper may have peeked at her once upon a time. Stupid growing up hormones

after that their parents had finally put them in seperate rooms. Still the offer was open to her. As for the kitchen he sneezed their was way too much dust around here. "I'll grab the broom." He said slightly tired, and glum. He really didn't want to loose mabel, but maybe he already had.

She stood up and stretched before watching Dipper leave the room. She folded her arms across her stomach and wrapped her arms around herself looking around the room. “He sounds like he really means it.” She said to herself and nodded. If he’s willing to try I suppose it wont hurt if I do too. She thought to her self and smiled. She followed him to the kitchen remembering that most of the cleaning supplies were in the small little closet near the fridge.

“I think they’re in here.” She said moving to the door and opened it. The door creaked as she opened it as she did the brooms, and mops that were leaned against the door fell down and leaned at her feet. “Here we go.” She said with a nod. As she leaned down Mabel looked up to dipper through her long brown hair. “I agree with you. We can try to get along while were here. Just no more comments about the past ok, and we can share a room I suppose.” She added standing up a broom in one hand a dust pan in the other. “I can get started down here, and you upstairs, ok.” She said with a smile and glanced around the kitchen. She pulled her hair into a ponytail, and began wahat was sure to be a long task.

Dipper was now a little worried, he wasn't exactly sure if he should make Mabel face the past head on, or if it was even safe for her here. The gnome in the walls already told him that he couldn't exactly protect her from the strange things going on in this town, and that alone kind of scared him. He just got Mabel back into his life rather unexpectadely how was he supposed to protect her?

Walking up stairs to the room they had shared as kids it was a mess, and he needed to start setting up and cleaning if they were actually gonna stay here. She would be confronted with this strangeness sooner or later, and he himself was curious about something. as he pulled the dusty sheets from the beds, he went down stairs carying them for laundry, dumping them in the washer, his own curiosity hitting him as he went to the gift shop, and entered the code for the vending machine.

As the door to the basement cracked open he looked around for a moment, and just left it open. Too scared to go down stairs alone, he would wait for Mabel to come join him in the room.

Mabel had rolled up her sleeves and got to work. She began by opening up the windows to allow in some fresh air and sunlight. The window finally opened flying up on the track with so much force Mabel was certain it was going to break the glass, but as she leaned on to the seal looking out into the woods she was glad it didn’t break or come sliding back down onto her fingers. It was refreshing the cool oregan air, the sounds of nature, something so different to the constant sound of traffic, and neighbors. As she cleaned it didn’t quite dawn on her that the shack did have running water, and even electricity though a majority of the bulbs needed to be replaced. She wondered how long it had been on though.

Mabel stood in front of the fridge preparing herself for the worst stench of her life to come flying at her when she opened the door. She inhaled deeply and healed her breath even her cheeks were puffing out and she threw open the door immediately getting hit with a wall of funk so bad it could raise the dead and put them back down again. “OH GOD!” She slammed the door shut and gagged and waved her hand. “I don’t even want to think about what could have possible crawled in their an died.” She said to herself and shook her head. After looking under the sink and in the utility closet once again she moved down the basement stairs hoping there was in the very least a face mask, gloves, and bleach somewhere down there.

She had recalled Dipper sneaking off down there a little while ago, but hadn’t heard him making to much noise coming or going. The first thing she observed as she got to the bottom step was the open vending machine door. The luminous blue light felt familiar, but the hum and whir of machines made her cautious to enter. “Dipper...are you down there?” She called out before walking over. No answer “Maybe.” She thought to herself. Maybe it was one of her uncles. She placed a shaky hand on the door and pushed it open further and began to desecend the stairs. “Grunckle Stan! Grunckle Ford? Is one of you down here?” Still no answer, and still she pushed forward.

Dipper had managed to swallow enough of his courage to walk down the stairs but honestly hadn't gone much farther than that. The bowels of the basement smelled bad. Like the air was in some way fowl down here, and stagnant. Ford had lived down here, and there were plenty of rooms that Dipper was unfamiliar with, but none he wanted to explore directly at the moment.

This place was an undercurrent of bad memories for dipper, and each step disturbed the uneasy ground. He felt like he was stuck, and as he heard Mabel call out to him he tried to yell out to her but was sent into a coughing fit from the dust he inhaled. "Ma*caugh*bel"

He shook his head for a moment turning towards his sister. He quickly reached out and took her hand. A small smile easing across his face when he knew he was with Mabel again. Walking with her didn't seem nearly so daunting, moving forward they reached the elevator. "So..." He honestly wasn't sure how Mabel was going to relax from seeing the bunker was actually a real thing. Deciding the best thing to do was to simply check the largest floor. Ground floor, the portal room.

"If Stan, or Ford, are down here they will be in here."

She should have stopped. Why am i shaking? She thought looking down at her hands that were trembling as she looked around the basement. She jumped when Dipper finally caught up to her. She looked down at his hand that held on to hers. Flashes of memory flooded to her or that summer. They were of dipper and her running, or rather him guiding her though the woods. The memories stopped flashing as her brother spoke. “I...Dipper what is this place?” She asked looking around as they entered the room. She stayed closed to Dipper unsure of what to expect as they walked into the room. “I...I don’t like it in here.” She said now holding onto his arm tightly.

When Mabel asked him what this place was he looked at her for a moment, unsure exactly what he would say about all of it. If they were going to stay here, than it was time to open a very old wound, and this was probably the only place he could think of that Stanford and Stanley would be if not here than the bunker? Other than that he didn't know where they could be.

"This place Mabel is... the truth." He hit the lights timing the dramatic reveal of the broken portal still covered up by the tarp, the controls all around them covered with dust and savaged by time, but still there just as the memory of that day was.

This place was colder than he remembered it being, his breath could be seen hanging in the air. He looked at Mabel. He was scared about what to say next, but decided that he would just have to start from the day they left. "When we left this town, I wanted to put the nightmares behind me. I tried to just ignore it and forget everything that happened, but... Well I couldn't."

Mabel was shaking. Not due to the cold, well maybe it was the cold. She was shaking more out of fear, an unknown yet familiar fear. A fear that had been buried so deep in her mind it had taken root and forgotten. The years of therapy and mental torture had forced her to forget about this place. This moment was the one where everything, literally everything went from strange to downright horrific that fateful summer.

Her arms were now wrapped around her shivering torso. She looked at Dipper but he seemed to be lost in his thoughts as well, remembering something he was still trying to forget, and so she let her eyes wander. They came to a focus on rusted broken red button. She began to cry, and her head started to hurt.
“Why am I crying?” She whispered to herself lifting her hand and wiping her tears away. “Dipper why am I crying?” She asked him and looked around and then turned from him and moved back up the stairs.

Dipper had to take a moment to hold himself. This was something that he couldn't get away from. Every time he thought he was safe from this part of the past he was left unsure on how to deal with it. At first he thought he could just ignore it, but then Mabel had started talking about that summer. He wanted to try and move on, and she had kept drudging up the past, and instead of talking to her he had been a child, a stupid child and tried his best to suppress her. In an effect that would of course cause her damage down the line he told her that it never happened, that it was just some imaginary game.

He had never wanted Mabel to loose her mind, never intended her to be hurt by any of this, yet he watched her cry, and his own eyes felt wet. When Mabel turned to leave, he followed her running after her.

He reached out and grabbed Mabel as they reached the top of the stairs. pulling her into a warm hug, as tears fell down from his shoulders as well, he joined her in crying. For him it was about how selfish, and how blind he had been, how damaging he had been, and how pointless all the time lost was. It was about a sister he had hurt, and all the feelings he had berried towards her over the years.

"Mabel." He managed to say, but couldn't get much more out than that, he simply held her, not letting her out of his grip, choking as he started to cry with her. "I'm so sorry."

Continuing to wipe away her tears she slowly closed her eyes. Her hands resting against the sides of her face a throbbing headache forming. The tears wouldn't stop flowing and her body continued to shiver from the cold. She turned her head slightly as she heard the stairs creaking under pressure and then Dipper's embrace.

She looked up at him his tight grip was calming, comforting. Her tears slowed but she could feel Dipper crying as he struggled to get his words out. This aways happened if one of them was crying the other would soon follow. Even though she thought she had no tears left to cry they started up again. And so the Pines twins stood it that dusty darkened hallway and cried out what was sure to be nothing but a drop in an ocean of emotions that would soon be addressed.
"Sorry?" She questioned "for what?"

When they had been kids, they had been mostly the same height, but then Mabel had taken the lead for a few years. Now after reuniting with his twin he was finally the taller of the two siblings allowing his sister to cry into his chest, he sighed and tried to fight back enough of the sadness so that he could talk to her.

"You weren't crazy Mabel." He spoke softly towards her as he brushed her hair. "You saw it, the bunker, the gnome."

Dipper knew that none of this was going to help his sisters psychological issues, that he was ripping off a bandaid on a raw wound, and that things would never be the same. "that summer was real, and I never backed up your story, because I was afraid, and it got so bad, that by the time I pulled you out of the ice, I felt like I didn't know how to make the nightmare stop."

"I'm so sorry Mabel it's all my fault."

Mabel squirmed out of Dipper’s arms and looked up at him. Her face didn’t quite have an expression. It wasn’t blank but it didn’t show any signs of anger, confusion, or hate. She sniffled and wiped away her tears again processing what it was he was saying to her.

“You abandoned me,Dipper.” Her voice cracked and with it the wall her mind had been so careful to build over the years, to black out all the pain that summer had caused her. Everyone who she loved had stuck her in that hell hole of a hospital and seemingly left her there. She wasn’t ready to forgive her parents for doing what they believed was right at the time. She especially wasn’t ready to forgive Dipper. To Mabel the one person who was always supposed to have her back had stabbed her in it.

“You let everyone think I was lying about what happened. Mom and Dad put me in a mental hospital”She screamed at him. Again tears welled up in her eyes but this time she refused to let them spill over. “Why?” She stammered looking at him eyebrows knitted together and though her face read anger her eyes screamed pain.

"Because I was terrified." It was the only real defense Dipper had, and it wasn't a good one. It was selfish and honestly it had been something that frustrated him for years, he had actively thrown his sister, one of the people he cared about most in life, directly under the oncomming bus. It was heart breaking to consider the damage he had done but he had done it and there was no way to make up for lost time.

"After everything we saw, everything we went through? We were kids Mabel and we had just gone through the end of the world. So I tried to hide, and I tried to be normal." In a way he had done exactly what he hated Mabel for doing when she had constructed Mabel land, he had designed a delusion where he could be happy, and then lived inside of it, but when mabel had tried to commit suicide he hadn't been able to exist in that bubble anymore.

"I did what I thought I had too to survive, and I was wrong, but I was also 13 Mabel. We were kids, and I didn't know how to deal, and it spiraled out of control so quickly." He sighed as he looked at the ground feeling defeated for a moment. Unsure what more he could say about it."I never meant for any of this to happen to you, but... I couldn't face any of it yet."

Mabel took a step away from him and sighed. Her right hand rubbed the left sleeve of her sweater. "I was scared too, Dipper. To make it worse I was alone in dealing with it. "For a long long time I was convinced it was all made up. That something so awful happened that summer my mind had completely blocked it all out." She continued rubbing her hand over the fabric, though it was wool and a bit scratch the repetitive motion aided in keep the Pines girl calm. "Now you tell me it was real, that not only did I know exactly what I was talking about, but it all did happen." She said. By now Mabel had stopped rubbing her sweater sleeve.
"I...uh...I need some space to process all this." Her hands gesturing to her brother and the shack. With that she turned and left the room. She grabbed her backpack and headed out of the shack. She wasn't sure exactly where she was heading but downtown seemed like a good place to start. In addition to clearing her head perhaps she could get a few pieces to the mystery of what happened to her great uncles.

Back
Top Bottom