Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It’s mostly me complaining about musicals in here. And like, one role play request post.

An Introduction
I've decided to take a new approach to my request thread as of the recent changes. But first, I will subject you to learning about me. Naturally, this is optional. You can skip this area and go on your way. But if curiosity compels you then please, continue. I personally just enjoy talking about myself. For anyone who cares, I am NB with she/they pronouns and will happily respond to she/her/they/hey/you stop stealing my food. I do present femme and I also didn't want to make a new request page. I am an age that I sometimes remember. Most of the time I find I am tired and that is my life.

There is something I feel people are mistaken about. I don't come on here for a turn on. I enjoy mature themes and adult writing. If you ask me about the kinks I will do, it really has nothing to do with what turns me on. I play to my character, the things they like are not necessarily thing I enjoy. It's not about that. There are many talented people here, everyone here is an adult(I hope), and I have a lot of fun experimenting with characters and ideas.

I could probably give you a range of experience, but at this point I can no longer remember. I've simply been roleplaying and writing for quite a few years. In fact, I have an English degree and focused on creative writing and I am well aware that I am probably screwed in the job market. So that's fun. But I write because I love it. Characters, story, drama, adventure, magic. I love it all.

Availability
Generally speaking, I like to be available to reply at least once a week. I will try to let you know if something is coming up, but if I just up and vanish, chances are I will return and explain. I lead a hectic life these days and somehow working from home I have less time. Honestly, feel free to nudge me if I have seemed to completely vanish, most likely I didn't realize I was gone that long. I am also not always capable of replying if I AM online. I actually check Bluemoon on my phone but I prefer to make replies when I have a computer available. So don't be offended if my profile says I'm online and I haven't said anything to you.

Roleplay Mediums
PMs. I may consider e-mail, but primarily I will roleplay through PMs. I've tried threads, I don't enjoy them and it has never gone well for me. Please don't try to convince me otherwise, I assure you it will not work.

Contacting me
I hope I don't have to ask given the rules. Please don't post here. Just message me. This is here as just a reminder, I want to make sure it's there. Also, I know this is a long looming thread, but I honestly really don't mind talking to people. In fact, I really like it when my partners like to talk outside of the rp. Sharing ideas, music, etc. So don't be afraid to just talk to me.

On a side note, if you find zero interest in roleplaying with me but are someone who wishes to have long conversations about musicals, feel free to message me.

About You
So, personally I don't really care who you are on the other side. Male, female, a bear who learned to type, what have you. You don't have to tell me except if you're a bear because I have questions. The only thing I ask is that you not be a jerk.

Definitely not happening
My F-list is below, but there are some definite buzz kills here that I will go over.

Same sex main character love interests as the only pairing: This is just something I haven't dabbled in enough and I am a little nervous writing. I am absolutely willing to have a pairing of the same sex I would just like some comfort zone buffers is all.

All sex no plot: This is the most boring thing in the world to me. I'm not the person for this. In fact I'll state it here, spicy scenes are bottom priority for me.

Modern day without supernatural/fantasy elements: I live in today, why do I want to roleplay it, too?

Avoiding conflict/drama: I don't know if you've ever enjoyed a story, but in most cases conflict is needed. Avoiding it is just terrible. When something is thrown at a character and they just go 'oh hey, it's fine, no big deal!' then why the hell am I here? It all just falls flat and there is really nothing to continue on with.

Romance only roleplays: I love romance in a story, I do. But if that's all, it gets stale fast.

First person perspective: This is something that I cannot seem to stand in roleplays. It is unappealing to me and a little disorienting when I write in third person perspective only to get something in a different POV.

One Liners/tiny posts: Nothing kills me more than me putting so much effort into a post and receiving one to two lines in response. I just can't do it. I feel like we should both be working to move the story along in scenes and just saying 'yeah, and then they did that.' and ending it there is truly disheartening. I understand not every post needs to contain many paragraphs, sometimes certain short posts move the story along no big deal. But when it is only a couple of sentences that does not move anything along and this becomes the trend of responses, I will very quickly lose interest.

The good stuff
Now down to the reason you're here. My interests and ideas. I know it's listed above, here is my F-list. Most of my maybes are negotiable as I do play to my character so my own likes and dislikes are generally irrelevant. So, onto things I DO enjoy.

Third Person Perspective: This is the POV I write in, and this is the POV I hope that all my partners respond. I know that sounds harsh, but it has happened to me too often after stating I will not do stories in other perspectives.

Already established relationships: I like to be able to jump into something and not have to have a whole introduction and how they met, etc. In romantic relationships it is interesting to strain them and see how much they can take or if they'll survive. And even break up, romantic love is never perfect and these bumps in the road pave the way for interesting character growth.

Revolution/Rebellion/Uprisings: It's one thing to fight each other, it's another to deal with the relationships of people who are in constant danger in fighting their rulers. And beyond that, how they interact with people on the other side.

Secret Relationships: I love the tension of needing to sneak around because it could result in death or ruin a reputation. There are interesting hoops to hop through and it's always a lot of fun.

Cruel guys with sweet girlfriends: There's something adorable about a guy who is willing to cut off the fingers of one person with a sweet lady he spoils. These probably work best with side characters, but still a concept I enjoy.

Jekyll and Hyde types: There's something interesting about seeing the worst side of a person completely manifested into one and then switching back to someone kind and reasonable.

Drama/Conflict/Tension: A story is nothing without it. Well, it's not enjoyable to me without it. If there is nothing in the way and it is all a smooth journey, then why do it? Everything has a consequences. Embrace it and the story will be better for it.

Fantasy: If I haven't said it enough, it is my primary go to. Unless we're going medieval/Victorian/past nonsense, I am unlikely to do anything that does not have fantasy or supernatural elements. It doesn't need to be heavy or normalized in the setting, I'll work with varying degrees.

Flawed Characters: I feel like I shouldn't need to put this here, but here it is! No one is perfect. In fact, perfect characters are really just flat and uninteresting. I don't care if your character is a loving Adonis. Who cares? I'm more interested in the mistakes to come and the scars that will be gained.

Dying Healers: I love magic having a cost and with that comes my love of playing dying healers. That the cost of being able to save lives is to slowly lose their own.

Adventure: Going from place to place discovering new things and new dangers. It's one of my favorite things.

Revenge: Being consumed by revenge can lead to different paths. In some cases acceptance. In others, destruction of oneself. Insanity. And so on. It's all rather interesting and I find it fun.

Convoluted Stories: Hell, if we're making it, why not make it as complicated and dumb as we want. Obviously there are some limits to that, but I don't mind having a billion hills and valleys.

Love triangle/squares/shapes: There's a lot of fun in messy relationship situations. This person loves this person, but they're into someone else and so forth. I thrive on conflict.

I will destroy anyone who has harmed a hair on your head: No notes. Just a thing I like.

New Ideas: Honestly, don't be afraid to bring up new ideas. I'm actually craving it. The worst I can say is no. Even if it's not my speed, maybe we can formulate something completely new.

My Ideas
I'm not going to put up everything about a story here because then you will know just how insane I am. So, instead, I will give a brief description and pairing ideas. I'll give the rest in a PM. If pairings are listed, the bold one is the role I plan to take.

Particular cravings:

The Coldfire trilogy. Nothing specifically from there, more taking some elements going on from it. If you're read this trilogy, go ahead and just message me because I have some thoughts and I need someone to talk to about those.

Vampires. I'm viewing a lot of media based on vampires and I'd like to explore some ideas of them. Whether it be taking a gothic approach of the monsters that represent our fears and desires or exploring the more urban fantasy struggles of them. Either way, I'd like to check it out. Heck, I might even be interested in toying with some Vampire the Masquerade classifications. I'm no expert but it'd be fun to try out. My biggest interest is exploring someone like Lucy who I believe to be the biggest threat in Dracula, someone who acts as prey to lure in her meal rather than go hunting like the other vampires. Also Astarion happened, so there's that.

Demon apocalypse human rebellion. Got some complex ideas, I just wanna do it.

Bored Tryant. I got through some inspirational stuff in Final Fantasy 14, and I liked Zenos. So I would like to toy with an utterly twisted relationship.

Forever
Vampire/Immortal

He knew loving a mortal could only ever lead to pain. So why? Why was he so foolish to fall for her? 'Till death do us part' was a vow he knew he would have to face if she did not take his eternal curse. It came swift, it took her too young. But when she woke again, she was a new person.

Cursed
Demon trapped in a warrior's body/Runaway

When you hear true love in a fairy tale, it is always the young hero who wins the maiden. The brave and handsome warrior. Not the monster he is meant to kill. So why is it, then, that the damsel in distress they found prefers the monster? What secrets does she hide?

Breath of Life
Reckless warrior/Healer

Life was complicated from the moment she was 'blessed' with the ability to save lives. The only cost was her own. Losing herself a little each time she used her gift. Yet still, she chose to follow a man who went without care, losing his life as if it was something easy to dispose of. In a world so dangerous, why did she choose him?

Obsession
Love triangle!

She was young and easily pawned off to a rich man who would stop at nothing to have her. Forgo a dowry, give the family a comfortable sum of money. Keep her in his home even before a wedding had taken place. He had to have her. Yet he scared her in every way possible. How foolish of her to think she would be able to enter a marriage for love. Perhaps that was what made her vulnerable to an affair. Yet what safety can their been under the roof of a jealous man?

River of Styx
Hades/Persephone

I would just very much like to do anything with these two. Whether we go with the classic myth or decide to do a modern twist on it all. I'd be happy to hear new ideas or share some of my own.

Fandoms
This will be a short list. I almost exclusively do canon/canon ideas, though. Not all of these have to be done in the original settings.

The Adventures of Duan Surk
Agnis/Duan

Final Fantasy VI
Terra/Locke
Daryl/Setzer

Final Fantasy XIV
Au Ra/Hyur
I more want to work in the setting rather than anything canon.

Mixed Final Fantasy
Locke/Terra/Cloud

Legend of Mana
Heroine/Elazul

Valkyrie Profile
Lenneth/Arngrim

Dragon Quest V
Bianca/Hero

Experimentation
As of late, there are some things here and there I would actually just like to try or incorporate into a roleplay. They're really closer to prompts.

The Gothic: Crumbling/decaying homes and lifestyles. The sense of horror and dread at what is happening. Insanity, fear, or debauchery that looms over and plans to destroy their lives.

Something inspired by Drakengard: This one is weird as I have never played any of them. However, I am interested in trying something inspired by 1 or 3. The price of pacts and the like. The unhappy or bittersweet endings. Or things that are just outright strange.

Concubine out for blood: I don't have a complete idea for this, but it's something I would like to test out. A faraway princess captured and forced to be the usurper's concubine. Only for her to be plotting to kill him and take her birthright back. Perhaps have an affair with her former betrothed and plot together how they will take the kingdom back.
As they danced together she says "You know I belong to someone."
He says "I know." With a grin and dips her, "you belong to me."

Mystic Messenger Inspired: I found myself back in this game. I wouldn't know how, but I certainly wouldn't knock anything inspired by it. Even bad endings. Especially bad endings. Unless it's Zen or Yoosung. I just...no. 707 is always my favorite. And Unknown.

Star-Crossed: I would just like to try something that will always end in failure. If it is repeated or if no matter what they do it simply cannot be. An element of futility is sort of interesting. Knowing that no matter what is done the result will be the same because the stars are so angered you must be punished.

A list of things I've read, don't want to roleplay but include ideas I like: The Remarried Empress, Under the Oak Tree, When Fate Finds Us, The Last Straw, I've Become a True Villainess, Like Wind on a Dry Branch, Karina's Last Days, My Happy Marriage, etc.

Last edited:
Seeing the entire plot of Les Mis, I do feel like they cleaned things up and tightened them appropriately because the coincidences are there, they just amped up the religious thing which, it’s kind of the only big arc that makes a difference so whatever. Just cuz it’s like “Valjean decides to take the Bishop’s words to heart. Also every one dies!”

Never mind, I read up on Les Misérables the book, no I didn’t read it I do not have ten billion hours, everyone sucks and then dies. I don’t think Victor Hugo liked people.

So like the point of Victor Hugo’s Hunchback of Norte Dame is basically humans are sort of insignificant and die, but buildings, buildings out live them and we should probs preserve those. I won’t deny he was part of the re-write, since he wrote a play that is a little closer to the narrative of it that we’re more familiar with, and Esmeralda being a sympathetic character. Except for the part where she is secretly white the whole time so it’s okay that she’s a martyr. Not touching that. Anyway Hugo had a self insert who was given the option of saving Esmeralda or the goat, and he saves the goat.

Les Mis has the June Rebellion more as a back drop but kind of treats it as like...well it’s there but it was all kind of pointless, right? Everyone died and Marius almost died and then just kind of sucks. And the worst people in the entire story win and become slave owners. I just think Hugo liked using the most amount of words to just be like ‘people die, nbd.’

You know what book I did read that had a musical adaptation? Phantom of the Opera. I can say with some good authority, don’t do that. Just watch whichever version of it tickles your fancy. Because everyone is an idiot except for the Persian, who is cut from almost every version though I can’t blame them. Also, no one fuck Christine. Like yeah, both Raoul and Erik suck, like Raoul spends the entire story blubbering about how Christine has hurt him and Erik is a huge drama queen who is also a murderer who manipulated her. In his defense, she is super dumb. Like, I’m talking you’d think she had a lobotomy because missing part of her brain is the only explanation for her actions.

I mean the other explanation is that it was kind of the best you could hope for in the portrayal of a woman in a story at the time. Like she’s the idea of the ‘pure hearted woman’ who saves the day via her purity or something. I get that the theme is that having a horrible life never gave Erik the right to hurt people the way he did and that Christine showing him she had a selfless heart proved to him there was good in the world and had he been treated with kindness before that he could have been a better person. HOWEVER, it’s also sort of on the other end of the text that yeah he had a deformed face, but like he was part of the circus which is framed as just something he did and then he got a job for a Sultana, a person he taught to torture other people. So, it’s never really treated as if he was there by force and more just a job he had.

And the Persian is coming in here to try to save the goddamn day by following Erik because he specifically took pity on Erik and saw his talent so begged his leaders to spare him when he was to be punished for teaching someone to murder....and torture etc. with the promise that Erik should be a better man to which Erik was like ‘yeaaaaaah.’ And turns around and does the same damn thing. So the Persian shows up and is like ‘Erik, you murdering people again?’ And Erik is just basically like ‘whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Noooooooo. He just died like that, super weird right?! Also if I see you again at my house I’ll kill you. No hard feelings!’

As I’m sure you can tell, I have little to no sympathy for Erik. I don’t think people saying ‘I do bad things because the world was never fair to me’ are quite childish and feel that they clearly believe the world and everyone around them owes them something. That’s not how it works. No one OWES someone anything by virtue of existing near them. The world does not OWE anyone anything. It’s a selfish mindset and if you’re answer is to make people miserable because you are miserable and you think that is okay, then you may have some demons to address but do not take it out on innocent people.

It is still super weird that Phantom is a cultural phenomenon since I’m not even sure the book was popular in its time. It is trying to be a gothic romance, what with the presenting this as a story that really happened, even partially using real events when a counterweight to the chandelier fell and killed an usher on her first day of work at the Paris Opera House, but instead being like ‘whole chandelier!’ But also the author was more known for mystery novels and it’s also bad at that and sort of negates the gothic romance by explaining all the spooky things that happened. So it ends up really being neither since the mystery angle is a little more tedious than thrilling.

So I tried my hand at Love Never Dies. I knew it was bad and completely undermined the original play having a very cathartic and emotionally complete ending. NBD, we all know Andrew Lloyd Webber really just can’t get over the fact that Sarah Brightman isn’t married to him anymore. And BOY does it show. But not only his it full of bad fan fiction tropes, such as character assassination of the canon love interest. Don’t get me wrong, Raoul in the books SUCKS, but in the play he’s kind of dashing and clearly has his heart in the right place. In Love Never Dies they’re like ‘he’s an alcoholic who is jealous of his wife’s success!’ Also it’s boring. I got 20 min in and was like ‘I....this isn’t even bad in a way I can have fun sober or otherwise.’

So I’m back on Anastasia’s musical, but I think my fixation is more the fact that some amount of editing would’ve brought it from not very good to not bad. That’s what hurts the most. But it’s very messy and clearly someone tried to hang on to as much as possible because some things just don’t make sense. You have Vlad keeping the line “I never should have let them dance.” For Anastasia falling for Dimitri, but the last time they danced was in Act 1 and It was the three of them. Like it didn’t turn into a romantic moment and then there was none until midway through act 2.

Anyone gonna talk about how the Jekyll and Hyde musical added two female romantic interests when it’s like one of the rare gothic novels where a woman is not part of the core conflict? I just think it’s interesting. The most you ever see is that a prostitute for trampled to death when everyone panicked at a Hyde attack.

I discovered the Dracula Musical! It.....isn't very good. They CLEARLY loved the Francis Ford Coppola version of Dracula. It's basically exactly the same. They also do the "Dracula truly loves Mina!!" but then makes zero effort to make him sympathetic.

I'm not like upset at Dracula the Musical for existing. It's not the WORST thing, but it is very confused lyrically, musically, and narratively. Like I thought it was cool when Dracula had electric guitars and his brides doing the loud wails in the backgrounds making it feel a little like the Witcher or Nier. I thought maybe that would be the style anytime Dracula showed up while everyone had more of a classical style to bring in the stark difference. But then he has a love ballad, like a weird classic love ballad. Then right after that he has a long with Lucy to be like "We're gonna take over the world!!!" but then with Mina is like "I truly love you and want you to be my queen." I'm not surprised by adding in the Dracula being in love with Mina element, it's been a pretty popular angle for a while now what with vampires being sexy and all, but this one was just not good at it at all. They make no effort to make him sympathetic, like he still has the brides and even feeds them a child because he wants to make Jonathan Harker part of his army of vampires and his brides were hungry. There is no good way to frame him killing Lucy and no one tries to use Lucy to manipulate Mina into the vampirism, instead she usually just dies and Mina is like "How could you?!! I can't stay mad, I love you!" And then that doesn't make sense when Mina and Jonathan also have a full song about how they've been in love with each other for years and how painful his trip away is going to be. But then Dracula hits on Mina and she's like "I have a boyfriend!" but then has a song about how she's conflicted but like Dracula assaulted her friend soooooo....

It's just a mess. I'm not saying a one to one adaptation of Dracula is missing from this world. Like, certain horrors of the book don't make sense today. Lucy wanting hugs and kisses from her three boyfriends isn't a spooky thing anymore. But also using the old method of punishing her for being "slutty" doesn't really work and is an odd pick since a lot of people take from her comment about wanting to marry her three suitors instead of one, when it's really just her saying she doesn't want to hurt her friends' feelings. I also think Lucy is a lot of wasted potential since she ends up kind of being the most horrifying vampire presented in the story since she doesn't hunt and instead kills children because they're real easy to lure away. I think this was to symbolize her being more in her vampire infancy, since she's not fully competent and hunting like say Dracula or his brides. But I think if expanded she could have real potential as a much more manipulative force.

I won’t lie, I’m a bit obsessed with how bad this musical is. Like clearly someone tried but it’s so confused with what it wants to be that it’s kind of all of it. Like there’s a weird victory ballad that sounds like the part you would be like “we won!!! We killed Dracula!!!!” And instead it’s a song about how they figured out where Dracula is and now they have to kill him. Mina makes Jonathan promise to kill her if she’s turned into a vampire and is beyond saving, but then she’s like desperately in love with Dracula and is willing to sacrifice herself for him but he’s like “No!! They’ll kill you if you’re a vampire!!!” Because they killed his brides and not because he knows about Jonathan’s promise to Mina. Was no one taking notes between drafts? It’s just bad in the way you know they were completely unaware. Like I’m not even sure it was higher ups interfering, it feels like they thought some of these ideas were gold.

Also they make Jonathan a sympathetic wet dish rag. Like he’s still kind of just there but he does have a whole song about his promise to kill Mina if she’s turned into a vampire and is beyond saving like Lucy. He has this whole thing about how he loves her and he doesn’t want to kill her and end her life so short and when they just started their life together. But then affirms that this was her wish and that he will honor her will. All while she’s most certainly having a good time with Dracula being like “we’re in love cuz the script says so!” So it’s like you made this big point to have Mina make everyone promise to kill her because she doesn’t want to end up like Lucy, and then make her want to be with Dracula. But also made no effort to make Dracula sympathetic, but made Jonathan the good guy who wants to honor Mina’s wishes? I don’t feel like they were taking notes between drafts.

So I feel like in the musical it’s actually very weak that Mina and Dracula are drawn to each other because Mina is a reincarnation of his dead love. I know it’s hypocritical because that’s normally a storyline I’m into. But in the movie it works because Mina kind of dates Dracula for a while and has a clear plot line of being into the vampirism as some sort of sexual liberation for her. In the musical, it feels more shoehorned in because Dracula is an awful person who wanted a vampire army to rule the world and then is like “oh I must like her because she can resist my powers!” And then she randomly doubts him because she interacts with him after he attacks Lucy. And her being upset with him for killing Lucy is brushed over when he’s like “well I turned her, your friends killed her.” As if Lucy wasn’t out murdering children, a thing the musical explicitly points out that Dracula encourages her to do. So it’s just overall like it doesn’t make sense to make Mina love him, try to make Dracula sympathetic, but also at the same time make Dracula the awful villain.

The Korean performance also added a song about how Mina is the reincarnation of Dracula’s lost love...which like full circle on that Francis Ford Coppola version. Again, it works in the movie because she sort of dates Dracula for a while. Not so much here because the musical doesn’t really have that.

Well now that I’m onto other things, I think Six is pretty great. Got a story about the wives of Henry VIII having a concert to choose the lead singer via who had the worst time with him. It’s a good time.

Okay, so there is a Hunchback of Norte Dame stage musical that Disney made and it did not make it to Broadway. This one is super weird because there are some good ideas and some I sit here pondering why? Overall, it’s different not better. Is it bad? Of course not. They were trying SOMETHING which is more than I can say for Frozen’s stage play. But, I’m also not going to call it good per se. they have a victory anthem kind of song about burning Paris down looking for Esmeralda and it feels kind of weird. Or like they imply Phoebus has PTSD but then they also don’t go anywhere with it.

Also there’s a song in the Hunchback of Notre Dame stage musical which literally has the line “come keep me warm until morning” which I thought maybe implied Esmeralda and Phoebus spent the night together because this version is grittier and definitely implies Frollo’s lust(there are some implied erections) but instead it’s just a scene where Esmeralda’s having a good time while Frollo obsessively spies on her and she kisses Phoebus but then is like “oh no! I’m catching feelings!!” And runs off.

I think maybe complaining about musicals in here might’ve caught up with me. I had a weird dream about a stage production of the Dracula musical which was KIND of going off some stuff I had seen but then kept not being an actual like narrative type thing like it wasn’t a play and then would go back into being one. Like Mina was turned into a vampire but she was pissed about it and saw Dracula tricking people count Olaf style and she was so upset she screamed really loud and then fainted which is how the first act of the musical ends(the screaming part not the count Olaf part.) Then having petty arguments with the other brides because she had to share a room with them. It was a whole thing.

Alright, well it’s been a couple of years and guess what, I’ve seen more musicals! So back to talking about that.

I did see Beetlejuice and it was actually a well put together show with changes that really benefited the format. I would treat it as definitely a better lead into the cartoon than the movie ever was. They made Lydia the main character which was a VERY good move in my opinion. Also most of the songs are a jam to be honest. Even the one song that’s a more emotional ballad hit really well when I saw it live when just on the soundtrack it’s the easy “oh I just wanna skip this.” So overall, 10/10 for Beetlejuice the musical. It’s pretty rare to give that score to a movie turned musical but honestly that one was worth it. Many movie turned musicals don’t make thoughtful choices where this one did and leaned into being campy which made this one very fun. Obviously the netherworld did become a weaker point visually but that clearly was a budget decision.

Back
Top Bottom