Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Does your mood affect RP?

Anansi

Supporter
Supporter
Do you find overall that when you are in a certain mood it is much easier to get into certain mindsets? Do you automatically telegraph it through your characters whether you mean to or not?

I can do either, sometimes I can be cold an just shut everything off and play the role. When I am particularly upset, annoyed, or bored I tend to be a bit crueler in my RPs. When I am pleased and satiated I tend to be more kind, however I can very easily get into a variety of mindsets.

What drives you in your mindset? Its said that psychological states tend to mess with people and drive most actions. Mental or non-physically perceived attacks activate the part of the brain that triggers flight or fight the same as a physical attack does.
Does this leech over into your RP's?

Oh definitely. It especially affects whether or not I want to roleplay. I'm I'm upset or cranky, I don't want to sit down and write and try to come up with something creative. It feels like a major struggle when I feel like I'm in need of easy things. I think it affects what I write because none of it feels good enough. I will agonize over a single word sentence or word choice. Then when I'm done with a post, I super don't want to go back and read through it to make it sound better. Leads to some disjointed writing.

I'm not sure how it affects what I put into a roleplay. I think when I'm feeling good and ideas are coming, I get into a lot more interesting detail about the character, the setting, and what's happening. On the other end, I think I throw a lot of minuscule actions together and call it a day.

For me, it's feeling confident and able vs feeling inadequate. The former makes me want to challenge myself on tricky things, the latter makes me want to eat junk food and watch Netflix.

Absolutely.

I can be a bit like Anansi myself. If I'm upset and my muse is still in my mind, I tend to make really bitchy - possibly even sadistic - posts.

Here's a list of 'If's that apply to me, really.

• If I'm listening to a playlist - which is at least 90 or so percent of the time - I'm more likely to get a post out than not.
  • If I've just found an inspiring quote and/or image online - as I often look those up randomly for the hell of it - I'm likely to not only get a post in, but also use what I found and add it to my imgur account.
  • If I'm stressed or having trouble figuring out how to reply, I'll take a break and, despite having an online status [usually], give myself some me time through some other means.
  • If I feel like I'm missing or forgetting a lot of things that haven't been included on my post yet, I save it as a draft or on Google Docs and come back to add more later.

There's a shit ton more. Ah well. xD

But that's a basic idea of how I work.

From what I was taught when I took a Psychology class back in 2014, our mind is constantly multi-tasking, even if we don't realize how much we are. We're usually thinking of at least 5-10 things at the same time, even if about half of those are on a subconscious level.

In that regard, I can see how your mood would work on your ability [or inability] to write. It's not the entire reason, mind you. But that could definitely be a contribution.

After all, if you're focused on something else entirely, it makes sense writing and being able to produce a post won't be at the top of your list. But I can safely say that yes, Psychology most definitely does play a part in when you can or can't post.

Hope that makes sense!

Oh gosh, yeah, my mood gets in the way a LOT... Often times in a bad way. But worse, I find, is when the mood of an rp has effect on me.

If I am getting particularly into a scene... if my muse is upset, I will find myself getting upset. Crying. Stressing. Many years ago it even lead to my being depressed! Of course, at the same time they can make me happy, which is nice. But when writing I find it hard to disconnect my feelings sometimes. I've been told that it makes me a good writer to be able to connect and actually inject feelings but... It sucks to be awash with tears when writing an angtsy scene!

Music sets me off too. Predictive playlists can be terrible. I love to listen to music when playing. It really can help a mood. But, as above, when it comes to sad scenes... all I need is a song to come that perfectly sums a scene up (and it inevitably does) and I'm a mess.

How MY moods affect my rping... well I suppose if I'm in a happier frame of mind posts become much easier for me. If I'm down, depressed or feeling anxious it gets harder and I know my posts are less engaging... I struggle to write when I'm like that, which makes me upset and my writing gets even worse.

Not that much.
I'm not stopping to write unless really there's something massive going on - think, a death in the family followed by an intercontinental flight to visit the mourners.
But my mood can make me crave a certain story or setting.

Mine does. If I'm too tired, sad or depressed I don't have the motivation. On those days I typically don't post because I know I'm not putting my best foot forward and I don't want to let my partner down. If I'm in a good or creative mood I post like crazy.

Absolutely. My sadistic side can be driven by my mood, though I refuse to let it go too far. I must be in control even of myself.

Some of the things I tried as a result of a dark mood are today some of my favorites.

Without a doubt. I definitely force myself to get up some replies even when I'm feeling unmotivated to posted a reply, be it because of a busy schedule or things in life. I usually overload on roleplays (I'll say that I'll only take one roleplayer but there's so many potentially good ones that I make exceptions a lot), so I think I've gotten pretty good at 'forcing' to push out roleplays but I try to keep it limited. If I didn't force myself, I'm sure my roleplays would die. You can only wait for someone for so long. >.<

I use writing as a coping mechanism for depression, and it's moderately effective. Helps to have something to occupy my thoughts so intrusive thoughts can't overwhelm me. When my depression is severe, I do crave darker themes and kinks, and if I am not getting that in my stories, I will write a violent or painful one shot.

As far as being tired, and neglecting my writing, I do that too, but I try really hard to get a post out everyday. Some of it is just being really hard on myself, and getting frustrated when I can't consistently produce quality work.

Greatly. If I'm not in a good mood, I can't rp or I'm just doing my partner(s) a disservice. I'd rather not post at all than give my partner(s) a bad post that could kill the mood permanently.

From previous experience, I find that certain moods can cause a 'spike' in my RP. In that I get very eager, and very productive for a while, before it crashes back down.

I'm working on trying to avoid this, RPing whilst other moods take me, to give myself, and my partners a better experience.

Sometimes it does, yeah. There are also times where the mood has nothing to do with my ability to write or not write. Sometimes it entirely depends on the people I'm roleplay with. It differs from time to time, really.

It definitely can to me, or visa versa, people, I know rping could be a strain to some of you when your dealing with negative emotions, maybe give yourself a break if any of you get like that too intensrly

I would say my mood effects my ability to RP, yes. But in a somewhat more indirect sense, it really comes down mostly to my work schedule and/or other obligations. When those things get in the way, they tend to leave me mentally exhausted and at that point I just avoid trying to RP as I would be doing a disservice to my writing partners by not being able to put my absolute best effort forward.

Generally speaking though, writing is my outlet, and Roleplaying especially so. While I can sit down and just chunk out some random string of drivel to sate a random idea or work out some lingering anxiety, it is incredibly gratifying to have that back and forth exchange of ideas that Roleplaying affords. Some of my most inspiring writing has come out through forums such as this, and it's always fun meeting new people and seeing how your interests and ideas pair up to create new and entertaining experiences.

honestly, i think it's about half and half for me - i can either go the route of channeling my emotions into my post, or i gain the emotions i'm generally writing about. there's no in between, and it's always one or the other happening. i don't mind, though - most of the emotions i feel on a regular basis are emotions my characters would feel at some point, or vice versa.

i do have certain role plays that i feel like i can only write for when i have a specific muse, if that makes sense, though. for example, i had a werewolf role play a while back, and they morphed into wolves rather than humanoid-wolf beings like most werewolf lore has. but i couldn't just channel into that character when he was in wolf form - i had to be in the mood, a very specific mindset, in order to write properly for him when he was in his 'animalistic' form. so maybe it also depends on the actual role that's being described within the role play for me, as well.

i'm a confusing fuck :)

I don't think mood really impacts my roleplaying, but sometimes roleplaying has an impact on my mood.

ALSO -- my level of caffeine consumption makes me way more creative/eager/chill.

Certain motivations and emotions depending on the subject matter are definitely triggered based on my mood. Granted with how often I've written in my life I can manifest practically anything nonchalantly...but its dunno enhanced the stronger the affected mood is. Music helps in this regard

I don't really work on 'muse', so my mood generally doesn't affect my roleplays themselves or my ability/ease/desire to write one character or theme over another, but it can have an impact on me being able to get into the headspace to write anything at all.

The only time where it has had an effect is when my Dad was dying, and I found myself with a very strong leaning towards wanting to concentrate on stories that contained extremely dark content, I guess as a vicarious way to take out some anger and frustration on the world.

For some reason I thought about it again, and I do think that I have to be in the right mood for my darkest stuff to be at its best.

I think it's impossible for it not to.

It also depends on what music I'm listening to and/or what movies I've just watched.

My mood will affect my writing and my writing can affect my mood. If I'm really into a role-play I can feel joy, anger, and sometimes even sadness. When I was younger I was so into one of my stories, I cried because I had to kill off a character I enjoyed. It was a necessary evil to progress the story but I was attached to them.

I tend to write better when I'm depressed. I have a hard time writing when I'm truly happy.

Craving wise, the books and shows I've enjoyed definitely inspire me. The most recent plot I posted is based on a book I LOVED just recently. But there are many plots, or "concepts", that I always want.

I find myself to be a very moody person to begin with, and it can completely dictate whether I'm able to even focus on a roleplay or not. It also tends to change whether I take on more of a presence or not if it's not one of the more extreme mood swings.

I've always felt I rather feel too much than too little though. Feeling things tend to lead to more ideas, if nothing else.

Yeah it affects everything from kinks to posting rate. That's why I like my roleplays to have more story than smut because if I masturbate all day I don't have any energy left to give my partners good content. I find it degenerate and detrimental to my writing ability.

Back
Top Bottom