Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Seedling ((EDDE))

His defiance had been purely accidental. If it hadn't been, he would have made it proudly. Sharp amythest eyes would have turned up to stare into deep green pools. In true fashion of that undeserved pride that tended to swell in him, defiance was something he offered in just as calculated a manner as anything else when it was a purposeful act. But because it wasn't, he didnt look up.

Adding to the insult by raising himself to meet the Fox's gaze wasn't an act that even began to form in his mind at that moment. Maybe it was guilt. Maybe it was the conditioning set by the dominant creature currently standing over the lesser. In a way, it had to do with pride no matter what. And either way, his body language spoke more than further words would have in that instance.

At least, it would have were Kurama able to catch it while staring the imp down.

"Of course," he commented back smoothly, hid tone much softer in return for how he'd spoken the last word. He wouldn't waste anyone's time apologizing or attempting to explain himself. There were much more pressing matters at hand. Should he be given the chance to do so later he would happily take it up. Not that he would expect to be treated with any leniency once he did.

Cooryn had explained in a messy, jumbled way. And while she had hit what he would consider the main points of the situation, the utter lack in any proper description of those main points even left him puzzling what she was attempting to say and put it together. And he had been the one experiencing it. He had no more want than to offer a well put together translation of her babbling. If only to be sure what had happened was breathed into the air concisely.

In all honesty, clearing the air made things no less devastating; nor less dangerous. And a fresh rage brewed in him that sent a new shiver down his spine as heated purple hues landed on the imp all over again. He knew he should have more worry for his own condition at the moment. But the only thing he kept coming to when attempting to weave his way down that road was how much more vulnerable the other children of the temple were compared to him.

"Forgive me," he offered lightly, purely in the form of manners that came with a somewhat regal need to keep a calm that had been instilled in him long before he'd ever found this place. This calm however, was one he needed to force over himself. He, of course, wasn't asking for actual forgiveness of his previous action. The other feeling that was bubbling up in him as he attempted to keep himself focused as not to allow himself to continue weaving, was one that had absolutely mortified him the first time he'd acted on it in any significant way.

Kurama had been there for that experience. It had occurred during what could be technically called Keichi's first lesson under the fox's tutelage. The difference was that he doubted he'd be nearly as devastated now as he had been then; even with the object of an overprotective rage being an odd form of sister to him. And honestly, that was why he felt the need to interject the calming words. It worried him that he could even begin to think like that.

"I simply feel as though there needs to be some clarification here."

Large amythest eyes closed as he pictured both the sense of what had happened and the words that would properly depict it. He was certain the adults would understand that he would need to take certain liberties in a need to explain something that lacked proper words other than what could only be described as metaphor and simile. And cooryn was bound ro understand cinsidering she had experienced it herself. So he didn't explain that concept either.

He also didn't pause for approval or the lack thereof. He'd already been given as much. So he simply explained to the best of his ability.

"In order to keep Cooryn from invading my mind I... erected a barrier." The short pause was needed to find the right words already. But as he continued they began to flow more fluidly despite how carefully he continued to pick them out.

"I assume that as she was unable to mount a direct assault, that is why she sought out my memories. I hadn't thought to hide them away, and I have no doubt they were enticing to the curious onlooker. When I realized what she was after however I.... strengthened my defense..." He didn't suppose he had the words to describe how he was able to do as much.

The boy was good at pulling back and hiding behind a wall of unassuming non-chalance. In all fairness he could only guess that what felt like a purely awkward struggle had been a proper fighting response he'd drummed up on some sort of instinct. The conscious thought to do such a thing hadn't struck him. Getting away and keeping her from invading his mind had. And he couldn't help but feel a sharp mind had it's own wave of defenses that might trigger in order to keep out an invasion. Perhaps like an immune response. Though without the immunity, one would have a very hard time keeping themselves safe. That could explain why the simpler minds of the other children could be invaded so easily. As well as his own when it hadn't been prepared for the onslaught in the first place earlier.

He shook his head lightly, pulling himself from the dazed, thoughtful expression that had crossed his face and refocused on the explanation he'd paused upon getting carried away with rationalizing the situation. "She was referring to such thoughts when she said she just needed to see. I won't go so far as to assume that is how she obtains the connection on a usual basis. However, In that moment I also understood that would be all she needed to gain a hold on me."

He paused again, slightly distracted by the action the girl took as she finally crumbled under the sharp gaze he had planted on her so heavily. It was most likely she couldn't stand it anymore with the horrible guilt she was feeling if the look on her face were any reflection. She curled closer into to herself. She quite suddenly looked insanely young as she did so.

Her ankles crossed as she drew her knees up to her chest. She'd lifted her hands and wrapped her long fingers around those long, pointy ears of hers and tugged them down to pet at them with the need to self comfort in order to come back to herself, still listening just as intently as Keichi clearly spoke the words she hadn't had.

Her head dipped and she rested her face against her thighs behind those knees to avoid the stare she couldn't stand to look back at any more. And her small wings lifted and curled over the top of her stopping head to allow her to sink into herself fully. His explication was calming in a way, giving her an understanding of her own actions she couldn't begin to guess how he understood. At the same time though, it pulled a shame through her that made her want to simply disappear. With her mind reeling however, she wasn't acting on that want. At least not consciously. What came of it instead as she felt herself shrinking more and more as he continued, was an unconscious phase that made her an odd shade of slightly translucent without actually losing her shape in the interim.

Once Keichi was finished, it would most likely be her turn to talk again. And if not, it would be Kurama's. She wasn't sure which one of those scared her more at the moment.

"I don't want to do this anymore." The whispered words were spoken purely to herself; not exactly meant to be aloud.

He continued quickly as a scowl marred his face before he could correct it.

"I will assume that like me she didn't realize she had found another avenue to them. I have never thought much on the soul. Before coming here and having my mind truly opened, I focused purely on the practical. It has yet to come up otherwise. So I don't know if these same memories are stored sesperately or simply interwoven, however it is my understanding that she lacked the same understanding and didn't realize she had even changed her focus...."

He looked her over, covering a disgusted feeling with a mask a calm as he continued. "Without thought she continued forward. I..." He frowned. "I don't believe I have the capability to protect what she went after. It was fully visible and accessiblr to her, yet so far from my grasp I'm honestly not even sure how she made her way to it so quickly."

He wasn't sure how else to put this to better words. Perhaps if he were questioned he would be able to answer. But currently he had little else to add.

He did have to peel those large purple eyes away from the girl to land his own up on the emerald orbs above him. It was Keichi's way to be direct despite the need to hesitate for the slightest of moments before allowing himself the gesture. Whether the attention was returned or remained on the imp, he stared up into them anyway. "If you would grant me the request, Master Kurama...."

The pause only lasted a second longer in it's unsure nature than it needed to. It wasn't the best idea for him to make one given the disobedience he'd just shown. But the danger in this situation was enough cause for him to do so. He understood his Master would stop this if he deemed it too dangerous himself. But knowing anything had never stopped him from making an inquiry regardless.

"I also no longer wish to indulge in these sessions." Of course, that didn't mean he wouldn't were he told to continue despite this. Still, a shiver that originated from somewhere deep, deep inside of him wracked him heavily enough to need to steady himself with both hands on the ground at the thought of doing so.

He suddenly felt incredibly violated all over again. It was almost dizzying. And he could only hope the lingering reaction would sooth itself in short time; that he just needed a little longer to recover from the shock of the horrifying dread that had consumed him as he felt the greed of lithe, clawed fingers nearing his soul before he lost his grasp on any and everything.

He doubted he wouls ever have the words to describe that feeling. Or the haunting one that currently remained deeply embedded in his psyche.

--

"Really," he marveled lightly, tilting his head a bit and studying her as if that was the most interesting and unexpected answer she could have given.

This time when Yusuke lifted his face he was more careful. Chocolate eyes travelled up and to the side as he scratched at his chin. "That's too bad. Guess we got a while still." The innocent look was pulled off poorly, but the curious lilt in his tone perfected it. Probably because it actually was as thoughtful as it sounded.

He'd certainly recovered quickly all of a sudden.

Once again he shined a smile on her. This one was more soft than cheery. There was a spark in those almond colored eyes that promised an understanding he had no words to convey as he relaxed and kicked at the water lightly once again. "Might as well tell me what else," he offered far too smoothly for the man who was usually so comfortably uncouth.

Last edited:
He listened intently to his student's speech. It certainly could have waited until later, but he'd let the boy finish regardless. He felt a tad disappointed in himself for underestimating the boy. Keichi obviously knew more than he'd given him credit for, but the fox would have to have a more detailed discussion with him and fully explain the danger he was in. He cursed himself for being so careless. He should have first trained Keichi to protect his soul before starting these haphazard training sessions with a novice succubus.

Kurama relaxed minutely, however his eyes were still hard and stern. His own decisions had lead to this, but he would not let the children know that. Besides, Cooryn needed to be frightened of this power. It would make her more cautious than if he were to apologize and coddle them.

"Unfortunately for you, Keichi," he started, keeping Keichi in his peripheral vision while his focus remained on the imp cowering on the floor. "You do not have a choice in the matter." He was silent for a moment, watching Cooryn closely. "Fortunately, however, Cooryn does have a say. You will continue this sort of training with a different partner." He had the perfect 'teacher' in mind. Hiei wasn't one to help out for the sake of it, but the fire demon did enjoy causing havoc, and this would be the perfect opportunity to cause some without repercussions.

That was a matter for another time.

"Now return to your rooms. Both of you. You need rest, whether you realize it just yet or not." Finally, the fox turned his head to look down on his student. "Do not make me ask a third time."

------

"Awwww c'mon!" The rabbit cried, her arms tossed up in the air while the most offended look she could muster came to her face. She didn't want to stay any longer! It was freezing! The water had completely soaked through her undercoat, making the frozen fur cling to her skin. Still she wasn't shivering, and that wasn't good. Instinct told her to hop out of this water and find a warm place to dry off, but she trusted her mentor, even if she didn't say it aloud.

Long feet were tucked under her thighs as the rabbit tried to conserve some meager amount of warmth. She couldn't help but look away when Yusuke sent that look her way. It was a rare thing, but her mentor offered her legitimate comfort in situations it was truly needed. It was uncomfortable. Karasori pinched her lips together, then sucked the lower under her bucked teeth to suck on. It was quiet aside from the fall of water, and it seemed like she wasn't going to answer...

"I feel like... You're just wasting your time," she started in a mumble. Her blunt, dirty nails dug into sodden fur. "I've been training with you for years, and all I've managed to do is get stronger! But I still can't control it!" Tear burned the corners of her eyes, but the water dripping down her face was enough to hid them. Then, in a jolting movement she turned to look at her mentor with a crestfallen expression that twisted in fear and self loathing. "I don't want it to get stronger! I don't even wanna control it anymore. I just want it to go away!" Her broken words were yowled and echoed off of the rocks surrounding them.

Yusuke's smile faded a bit. But not because her sorrow pulled it away. Instead the understanding that had been promised in the previous look soaked its way into his features and he offered a light nod. Closing big chocolate eyes, he took in a long, calm breath as he mulled something over in his mind. And after a long moment of a thoughtful look that was far less boisterous than he tended to put on for show, he looked back at her with a serious expression.

The look was still a little soft as he lifted up his hand and landed it with much less force than usual atop her head, only allowing its weight to hold it there. "Give me a little more time," he mentioned lightly. "If this doesn't work out I got a couple more things to try."

He was glad he'd realized before she mentioned it to him that his efforts were doing less to help her than he'd been hoping. He might not have reacted anywhere near the same. Realizing as much had been somewhat devastating after all. And she didn't need to see that kind of revelation from him after all this time. After this task, he'd go back to Kurama with whatever he found out. Even if he couldn't come up with anything himself, he sure as Hell would figure something out with his husband's help.

The look on his pupil's face made him regret not involving his fox more than he had sooner. But he didn't let that show.

Instead his hand slipped off her head, and gravity dropped it down toward her legs before he stopped it from taking it further. He was careful not to flick her leg to harshly. No doubt the intense chill deepening down past her skin would make it incredibly sensitive. He knew this from experience. But he did still give it a slight flick; one he knew she would feel more than she'd ever like despite how gently it was.

"Limber up them legs," he offered as he pulled away, pointing down to his own kicking in the water. "When we get moving you'll fall in face first if they ain't used to the movement when you can't feel 'em anymore. Trust me." An annoyed look crossed his face for a flick of a moment as he said, "I know."

He, of course, knew from experience.

--

Cooryn sat there for a moment in that same curled position, but her crimson eyes lifted. They were headed for Kurama, but stopped as they landed on Keichi. The frown on her face that was only visible to Kurama due to the position he stood in that allowed him to see the look over the knees she'd pulled close. Her eyes closed and her face pulled into a scowl for a swift second before she sparkled into that non-existent state of hers. She followed the directions, but honestly even if she hadn't, she'd at least be putting distance between herself and others.

Keichi's low gaze only lowered further as he was looked down upon. He nodded as surely as the odd, far too loose feeling in his joints would allow. It took him a bit longer to obey, but only because he was finally forced to right himself and regain his balance in order to stand. Once he focused though, after a slight warble in his movements, he found the task as easy as it absolutely should be. He didn't doubt he'd be shaken up for a bit still.

He also didn't say another word as he made his exit as quickly as was necessary, paying no further attention to the room he was dismissed from even as Hiei stood.

The petite demon reproduced the large rolled paper once again, smoothly, once the room had been abandoned. He started toward the dining room door that led to the porch. "I have no interest in playing with your toys," he mentioned. "There's no need to share."

He'd bristled almost instantly as Kurama had made the comment toward Keichi's continued lessons. It had taken him about a half second to recognize what the fox was hinting toward. After all, not only did he knew Kurama much better than the children were ever shown in his absolute disinterest toward them; he, unfortunately, understood who exactly was the most qualified to fill the position he had almost seemed to come up with on the spot.

A familiar calm, almost playful look that was as tinged with as wicked a smirk as any that crossed his face as he peeked back at him upon opening it up. His attention turned past the frame as the sinking sun revealed itself to them. The papers in his hand burst into a flame that lasted only as long as it had taken them to flare to life. The remaining ash from the instantly charred material spread off in the breeze. "Your plan is simple enough," he mentioned as he waited at the door.

"If something changes, I'll try to remember the rest." The same tone and look was turned on him as he looked back slightly over his shoulder. He already knew Kurama would following. He was simply waiting for the starting gun.

Well, that and what he was sure would rear its head in the fox's need to speak on the situation to solidify and ground it.

That look remained even as a hand was rested kindly on top of her head. He spoke, and the anguish glistening in her beady black eyes only grew as he spoke. She wanted to trust him. She wanted to believe every word he said, because they held a promise that she was losing faith in every day... So she would. Just for a little longer.

Karasori hung her head and looked down at her long feet, her shoulders slumped in defeat. "Okay," she muttered, just loud enough to be heard over the water.

Not one to allow her depression to linger in clear view, she forced her blue lips into a smirk and looked over at her master with a much more devious expression. "Better not be lying to me old man," she warned, falling back into usual banter and insults. It made much more sense then this gooey gushyness they were lingering in.

She was distracted by movement near her leg, and she saw rather than felt the flick to her leg. it slapped against her thick coat of fur and clicked against a few tiny ice crystals forming on her pelt, but strangely enough she couldn't even feel pressure where his finger had struck. A grumble left her lips as she tried, and failed, to move her legs. She had to pull them out of their cross with her hands. Kicking them out as she'd been instructed only resulted in wiggling toes. "Can't feel my legs anymore," she admitted. "Think my arms are getting there too. How long do you plan on sittin' here? I ain't even shivering anymore."

---

"Ah, but I am nothing if not polite," the fox replied, his shoulders relaxing as the children left. Keeping up that intimidating posture and aura had gotten a bit difficult in the past few days. It was exhausting, but he didn't show it. Instead, he relaxed just as much as he usually would when alone with his fiery friend. He was comfortable, content. "Sharing my toys is imperative to that." Their teasing was calming to a whirling mind. He missed Yusuke... It would be lovely to be free of thought for just a little while. It would help him reorganize the issues he was having. Adding in this threat of a soul eating child was far from helpful. "Besides, you must be growing bored. The domestic life is certainly not for you. Why not join me for a bit of fun?"

The playful expression shifted to something more serious as he followed the little fire demon outside. He scrutinized the horizon as the schematics were set ablaze. He shared Hiei's thoughts. They no longer had the luxury of planning. Cooryn had just proven herself to be much more of a danger than first anticipated. He'd hoped that training her in using her hypnosis would help her to control her more threatening abilities, but perhaps it had made it more difficult. There was no use dwelling on what ifs. "We should be back before sunrise if we leave now." It didn't need to be said, but it was an offer of agreeance, and soon after it was spoken the two thieves leaped off into the night to acquire their prize.

Back
Top Bottom