Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Enter the Badlands (messeduprp x Skeith Takahata II)

Sybil smiled into the gentle kiss, placing her hand against her cheek just before she pulled away. Her lips spread in a genuine smile, though it fell some as she mentioned the moon. She glanced back through the window looking up at it. She was relieved to see it was a waning moon. "So long as it isn't full, I love the moon. I especially love the stars." She was thankful that full moons only came once a month. She didn't need that memory to surface all the time. "What kind of place did you come from? I don't remember my home town. Aveline's all I've known."

Rosalie looked back at Sybil, "well... Why a full moon Sybil? That's a bit specific ain't it?" She instantly regretted it, "if you don't want to talk about it, you don't talk. I won't hold anything against you. I just want to make sure you're alright." She faltered, "I... I don't talk about my past... I came.here to escape that... To move on..."

Sybil gave a small nod at Rosaline's words, understanding wanting to move on. "I'm sorry I asked. It wasn't fair of me." She closed her eyes for a moment. "It was a full moon the night before I came here. Bandits attacked our carriage. Mom, Dad, Louise and Oliver didn't make it. Somehow I did. I walked the rest of the way. Ol' Man Jasper helped me to get some footing, but it wasn't enough. I never got a proper schoolin' or learned a trade. But, I'm a woman, so I always knew there was at least one thing I could do for money. And now, here I am."

"I guess you could say that I kind of came here to start over too. For better or worse."

Rosaline stroked her cheek, "well... That is downright terrible... Well, I don't want to make you dislike me but... I'm leaving my old life as Rosaline the Ace. The famous outlaw, I had some things happens but I want to settle down. Raise a family,maybe have a farm or something."

Sybil had certainly heard the name Rosaline the Ace before, but had never seen her wanted posters or any other form of picture. She looked at the woman in a different light, an expression of shock on her features for only a moment. "That would explain your familiarity with the a gun." She looked down for a moment, thinking on it. "Well, Ms. Rosaline. I think you've come to the right place. Despite it's small size, it's faults, and it's quirks, you'll find that Aveline is a fine place for second chances and starting over."

She moved to lean over her a bit, growing closer to plant a gentle kiss on her lips. Her hand stroking her cheek softly. "You're secret is plenty safe with me."

Rosaline smiled and kissed back, "thank you Sybil... I want you Ro know not to be afraid of me... I'm no longer Rosaline the Ace... I'm just Rosaline. A woman who wants to escape that past. All the pain and the suffering." Something in how she spoke said she wasn't talking about any she may have inflicted. Rosaline's proverbial scars went deep.

Rosaline smiled at Sybil and looked back up at the moon. The Indians have stories about the moon you know... That she was a beautiful woman who had a lover, the lover came down to find beautiful flowers for her but became stuck, he turned into the wolf and now he howls to his lover, hoping she'll hear him."

Sybil's gaze grew sad as Rosaline spoke of the story the natives would tell. She frowned some, gazing back at it. "That's so sad." She said, thinking on it for a few moments. "So few love stories end in happiness, I've found." She said quietly. "Not that I've read many, but I listen and I remember." In truth, Sybil could barely read or write at all. Her semi-illiteracy coming from her lack of formal schooling.

"I'm not convinced by love really." In her profession, romance was so easily traded for a woman who was eager to provide what a more prudish wife would not. Coin seemed to go a lot farther than flowers and pretty poetry. "Romance dies when the sex does. That's what I've seen anyway." A pessimistic view to be certain, but she simply hadn't been exposed to otherwise.

Rosaline smiled sadly, "few love stories end in happiness... That's what makes it all that much better when it is happy in the end." Her voice caught in her throat, her eyes tearing up. She wiped her eyes and kissed Sybil's neck, "Love is just special, it's something that not everyone gets but everyone wants. You're still young Sybil, just wait and maybe you'll find it."

She nuzzled into her, rubbing her fsce against her bosom, completely content when suddenly all the sound stopped. The soft clamor of the bar downstairs faded away, the chirping of crickets outside faded. As silence dominated, a new sound took over. The scratching sound returned. Rosaline's eyes flew open and her hands went to her six shooters. One in each hand as she slun around in bed, aiming at the door. The sound was loud still, growing closer and closer. She pulled er shirt on and looked back at Sybil. "Stay here... If something happens, run downstairs and get help."

Sybil's eyes went wide as the silence returned, followed by that terrible scratching. "N-not again..." She muttered quietly. She hastily pushed herself from the sheets, desperately looking to at least cover herself some if she had to flee the room. Standing in simple underwear and a shirt, she pulled open her drawer. Setting the bible inside on the table, she flipped it open finding a single shot pistol beside a small knife. Pockets carved into the pages for them. She was no fighter, but sometimes nights with clients turned nasty or dangerous. She needed to be prepared. "R-Rosaline... Be careful, please..." She pleaded, clutching both of the small weapons to her chest.

Rosaline walked over and planted one last kiss on Sybil's mouth. At least she hoped it Wouldn't be one last kiss. She raised her six guns as she neared the door, with the toe of her booth she pushed the door open then jumped back, the scratching stopped but the silence remained... The hallway was like a black void, sucking all the light away as it touched it. She slowly stepped into the corridor, pointing her guns down both paths. As soon as she entered the hallway the light returned, the sound came back and the only thing there was another prostitute who seemed very scared.

Rosaline apologized and told her she had heard someone trying to get in, it wasn't totally a lie. As she walked back inx she closed and locked the door. Taking a chair from the room and propping it against the handle. She contemplated moving the dresser innfronrnif it but that seemed a bit much. "Now I'm not the only one who saw that right Sybil?"

The light returning and sound coming back, did little to settle Sybil's nerves. Rather, it made it worse. As Rosaline walked back into the room, Sybil stared wide eyed. Watching her brace the chair against the door. At her question, she nodded quickly and clearly frightened. "It... It's never happened before..." Her hands shaking she set the single shot pistol and knife back in the false bible, not returning it to the drawer. "Th-this is my room. I'm always in here. It left everyone else alone... Why would whatever it is come after me?" She asked, looking back towards the door. "I ain't a superstitious woman, but that seems an awful lot like a haunting, right? Or some kind of demon?"

Rosaline shook her head, "no ma'am. I never believed in that sort of thing. Probably just our minds playing with us, but... Maybe I'll stay in here with you tonight Sybil... Just to make sure you're safe." Rosaline secretly didn't want to admit she had been scared by the unexplained phenomenon. She later down next to Sybil and set her guns closer than before. Glancing back at the door from time to time, her hands never leaving Sybil's body.

When Rosaline tried to explain away the phenomenon, Sybil's brow furrowed. "But, we both saw it..." She whispered. As she rejoined her at the bed, Sybil rolled over to face her, burying her head in Rosaline's chest. "I would like that very much, I think." Unlike Rosaline, Sybil had no reservations airing her fears. She feared what she couldn't explain, which was unfortunately a great many things for the uneducated woman.

Rosaline stroked Sybil's back. "Don't be afraid, I'm here. Before anything can do anything to you, I'll blow it's head in." She was doing her best to treasure Sybil, she was terrifies of what it could have been that caused that but she needed to be strong for Sybil's sake. She blew out the lamp by the bed and looked out at the moon as the sound of the debauchery downstairs filled her ears, slowly falling asleep.

The next morning she awoke lazily, her hand instinctively going to check that her guns were there still. She looked down to see Sybil in bed with her and smiled softly, planting a gentle kiss on her forehead.

After being kissed, Sybil crinkled her nose, groaning softly. As her eyes opened, settling on Rosaline, she was surprised for a moment. She had never had anyone stay over night before, so it was bizarre. Especially given that they didn't, in fact, have sex the night before. "You really stayed." She said, sitting up slowly. She yawned loudly, rubbing her eyes. "I've never woken up with someone else before. They do their thing, leave their money, and go home."

She looked over at Rosaline once more. Her smile fell away as her eyes moved to Rosaline's guns. "Last night really happened... Didn't it? The sounds and the dark?" She pulled her knees up to her chest. "What are we supposed to do? Go to the church? M-maybe I've been a whore too long and someone up there's upset with me."

Rosaline shook her head and out her arms around Sybil. "No no no... I've slept with plenty of whores and none of them. Had weird noises but I don't think it's because you're a whore. It was just some freak coincidence. Probably nothing... How about toy show me around town to calm your nerves okay?" She smiled sweetly, trying her best to calm Sybil's nerves.

Sybil leaned into Rosaline as she held her, nodding her head in agreement. "Y-yeah. I think I could use some fresh air anyway." She stood up slowly from the bed, moving to collect her things. She dressed, sitting at her vanity. She fixed her hair and her makeup making herself presentable. She never allowed herself to be seen outside without looking like the pinnacle of beauty. Her livelihood depended on it.

She stood once finished, looking back at Rosaline. "Come along then, love. Aveline awaits." She invited, crooking her arm. She adopted the persona she most frequently used in public to attract possible clients.

Rosaline smiled as she dressed, strapping her belt and her guns onto her hips. She followed Sybil outside, surreptitiously checking the eqlla to see that there were no marks where the scratching had been heard. She smiled and nodded to the bartender. Taking in a deep breath as she exited the bar. Looking around at the crisp morning.

Charlotte gave the bartender a relieved smile when she saw him. She was thankful to see that her only real friend was alive and well. He, instead was looking at her strangely. She never had a client overnight. Nor did she spend the following day with them. She stepped out into the town. She smiled at a couple as they walked by, wiggling her fingers. The man seemed unresponsive, but the wife blushed and looked away. She giggled some as she turned back to Rosaline. "So, let's see... What first?"

Suddenly she realized what was most important for the new resident. "I'll show you to the general goods store!" As they walked, she pointed out the blacksmith and the church. She stepped through the front doors of the General Store. "Chen, are you working?" She asked.

A Chinese girl emerged from behind a cabinet of wares. Smiling warmly. "Sybil! Good morning." She greeted, struggling with her accent.

"Chen, this is Rosaline. She just moved into town. I'm just showing her around."

"Oh, good morning, Rosaline." She said bowing her head quickly. "Welcome to Aveline."

Rosaline smiled politely at the Chinese girl. "Hello ma'am. Very nice to meet you." She looked around the shop idly, before smiling at Sybil. "If you don't mind, I'm going to step out for a minute and get some fresh air" She smiled at the two before stepping out into the air. She breathed in and out deeply and looked around for a second. Her fingers idly dancing over the grip of her guns.

"Hm?" Sybil watched her step out before sighing softly. "I wonder what's gotten into her." She thought quietly.

"She seems nice." The girl behind the counter said, looking over at Alice.

"She is. She's new and needed some help getting around town." Alice replied.

"That isn't want I meant." She said, stopping to think on it for another moment. "Showing a stranger around isn't usually your thing."

"You're right, but..." She looked back out at her, smiling idly. "She hired me last night, but barely touched me. It was almost like she likes me."

"Well, go on. I'm not going anywhere. But she might be." She said, shooing the red head away. Sybil bought a bag of candies before leaving.

Shortly after, Sybil emerged. A gentle hand fell on Rosaline's shoulder. "Is everything alright, love?"

Rosaline smiled softly. A lit cigarette hanging from.her mouth. "Absolutely fine... Just having a morning smoke... Nasty Habit, trying to quit by waning myself off. I limit to once a morning now and I figured it would be rude to smoke inside her shop. Didn't want to make a bad impression you know?"

"I'm no stranger to bad habits." Sybil said softly, she produced a bag of candy from her hand, opening it. "Here, enjoy some sweets." She glanced around the town, giggling at some of the looks she received. "I hate to break it to you, beautiful, but you're keeping company with a known prostitute. If you were going to make a bad impression, it would have happened already."

Rosaline chuckled and took one. Holding the bag from Sybil. "Well... In that cade I might as well just demolish it now then." She pulled Sybil I to a dip and kissed her, holding her cheek in her hand.

Sybil was quite surprised by her action. It was decidedly romantic while also blatantly inappropriate. To display as such, in public, in broad daylight. She returned the kiss, smiling into the contact. Both of her hands resting gently against Rosaline's shoulders. "W-wow..." She said, taking a deep breath. "You sure know how to treat a lady."

Back
Top Bottom