Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Tarak Tales -- Round Two -- OOC Thread

Into The Unknown is the second Tarak adventure, this one being somewhat more involved, plot-wise, and rather more character-driven in some areas. Yes, we're starting with Cersei, and sticking with her for the first few exchanges, so that we can get her character arc rolling. When the time is appropriate, she will recruit the others. But here is where we can talk OOC about all this kind of stuff. As per usual.

Oh, right, I was gonna get into the habit of posting some standard opening material. Here goes:

Most of you know the deal, but I'll reiterate it, just to be certain. This game is taking place in the world of Tarak, the Tower City, and all of you are residents of the city. It's a huge metropolis, but it's all fairly tightly packed inside this big mesa.

Nearly everyone in the world is pretty much average; they may get skilled, they may have heroism in them, but they're basically just normal folks. Some few are born to be heroes, though, or villains. In Tarak, that includes you people. That's why you have a lot of extra attribute dice, to start with. Now, there aren't such things as professional adventurers in this world; if there were, you'd be some. But every community has people that can be called upon to help out with unusual situations. For Tarak, that small group includes you.

You're part of a small group of movers and shakers; basically, you're the adventurers of the city, so whenever there''s a big job that has to be done, the people in the know can call upon you and your friends. It's a big town, but the group of people qualified to handle unusual situations is generally quite small, so you all know each other and have a working relationship; most of the time you have full-on friendships. Not every member of this group is available every time something comes up, but there's enough folks around, a mission group can usually be rounded up for any given task.

In game terms, the fact that you are PCs gives you an automatic advantage, and in this sort of relatively insular community, that advantage has not gone unnoticed. You're already experienced at working together and at dealing with unusual situations, so that's why you start off with an extra 10D in starting skill dice from the usual, and have gear and such that you likely wouldn't otherwise possess, given your day jobs. Further, although I like to keep my groups pretty small online, there is room for people to drop in and out as the situation warrants (between adventures, at least, or during stopping points within adventures if we have to). New PCs are just members of the group that haven't been called upon yet, "on camera" so to speak, so existing PCs have an excuse to treat the newcomers as friendly and trusted. I don't know if we'll get far enough for that to matter, but if we do, the dynamic is already in place to account for it.

This is the second OOC thread, and the second adventure. We've already had something of a "shake down" in general, so it's only a matter of bringing the new people up to speed (and they can accelerate the process by looking through the first adventure on their own, as well as the first OOC thread).

I do want to reiterate my comment about actions here and now: you can tell from the Example of Play I posted that certain things I let pass with description, but major activities require die rolls, particularly when the time is short and the consequences are potentially grievous. One of the things we'll be working on is all of us getting used to what is what and how to handle it in the text-only format. It would be a lot easier to figure that in face-to-face tabletop play, but the tendency in text is to describe a long thing, all your actions, and that gets tricky when I'm not able to interrupt to ask for a die roll or something. But not EVERYTHING is going to call for dice; when there's no consequence to trying again, and there's no effective time limit, we can assume some things are just attempted until they succeed, if it's possible for them to succeed at all. This should have the net result of saving time.

Suffice to say, I imagine we ought to be prepared to edit ourselves, when necessary. I have learned that lesson myself in other RPs, and this should be no exception. We can work out things here or in PMs if there's a conflict, and then edit as need be.

Oh, and post length is: whatever's required for the moment. If it's action, for example, doesn't have to be long: describe what you're doing, and maybe the intent behind it, if you're planning something or setting something up. But I'd rather not deal with extraneous padding if we don't have to, that just slows things down.

Also: pick a color and font that's comparatively easy to read. :lol: That's just a request from a guy with old eyes.

Other than that, thread is now open. Have at thee.

Alrighty then!

We finally got the ball rolling.

Are you gonna' post our profiles, O great and powerful GM?

I think it would be good to have everyone's profiles and appearances up for view, instead of randomly strewn about, like the last thread.

I take it we're leaving out Dready until he has time to jump back in?

Alrighty.

I read what was going on in the RP thread.

Two posts?! come on now...

I can understand the work thing (seeing as I'm at work as well), but when you need to mull over just how rude someone's insult is going to be, it's a little bit scary.

Your being a maximalist in words only adds to the fear factor.

-rolls about-

"I've seen an orc wipe his arse with a sheet of parchment, and it looked better than the shite you have written down here." [/douchebag voice]

Bwaha. Somehow, I think what you're going to post is gonna' be worse.

Watchoo talkin' 'bout, foo?

I wasn't pressuring you, just motivating you. XD

I wonder what that mess will look like when Cersei is done. :D

D: Awww.

That guy is too much of a douche-bag to live.

I figured Cersei was gonna' make him go 'SPLODY! From the inside. :D

That was my original intention before we even started round one, but MM thought that was a bit over the top.

Ah, well, I must say, I most certainly can't wait to jump in. I won't be here tomorrow though, so I'm hoping you two will have this thing ready for me and BL to jump in by then.

I've gotta' hit the road now, so I'll talk to you guys on Thursday.

I'm pretty sure we should have things done by then, but maybe not. I'm trying to be social tomorrow so I might not be here either.

Back
Top Bottom