Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

You're Like a Song Stuck in My Head [FxF] (Clearsight X Javorcek)

Tessa released everything she had been holding back when they were in the coat closet. It wasn't just the past few days, either; it was an entire lifetime of worrying about what people would think, how they would react. She had spent a lifetime obsessing over suppressing herself to keep a relationship that, objectively, wasn't worth keeping. At least, it wasn't if it ended because of who she was.

So, although Alex didn't know, she had helped Tessa let go of the largest chain around her ankle. She finally freed herself, or more accurately, Alex gave her the courage to step out of a chain that was never actually there, a prison of her own making.

Tessa had truly been released from a cage, all because of the incredible woman by her side, the one who deserved more than being called a friend in front of her family; she wouldn't be again.

So, when they walked out, she didn't hide their intimacy, nor did she attempt to stifle the smile on her lips. She was happy, people should know. Even when they stepped into the main hall, she remained close to Alex, not being as obvious due to the occasion, but not hiding it either. Tessa didn't want to hide it.

Let people judge, let them whisper and gossip, let them be jealous! After all, Tessa knew how lucky she was, and nothing else mattered.

"I'm always cute," Tessa responded, huffing as she did. The smile on her lips betrayed the attempt at pouting, however, and she followed it up with a whispered, "Then again, you do make me jealous quite often."

Before letting Alex go off, she grabbed her arm and turned her back around, reaching out to fix her dress and hair. They had done quite well reorganizing themselves after their naughty escapade, but it still wasn't perfect. Plus, she just wanted to show a little intimacy for any wandering eyes.

---

After sending Alex off, Tessa found a seat not far from the bar, one with enough privacy to give her a little peace and quiet. However, that didn't last, with a familiar voice interrupting her first chance to relax in what felt like a week.

Fortunately, it was the one person at the entire gala she was actually looking forward to seeing. "Daniel!" Tessa smiled, taking a look at her childhood friend. He seemed the same as ever, which was nice. She was glad to know that some things never changed, even if the same fact about others caused her dread.

"I remember. We used to do our best to sneak away. Well, you would have to drag me along, but I was always thankful," Tessa said, immediately recalling fond memories that seemed a lifetime away.

Daniel had always been talented, even if his eccentric nature got him into trouble when he was young. Really, back then, he was exactly what she wanted to be but couldn't bring herself to become. Fortunately, things had changed, even if it had taken a while.

"Let my aunt be sour. It's not like she'll ever change," she said as much for herself as for him. "Besides, we both know Addison doesn't have what it takes to pull off one of your pieces. She's pretty, but she might as well be made of wood. I don't even know if I've ever seen her with an expression more vivid than that of a conniving doll."

She really did feel lively, chuckling at her own words. Then the topic changed, Daniel finding a far juicier piece of gossip in the form of the marks littering her neck.

"Uh..." Tessa was startled, his enthusiasm managing to catch her off-guard.

After a moment, when she regained her bearings, she looked at him and smiled, displaying a smile so soft and genuine that it surprised her childhood friend. Tessa never showed such expressions, even to him, and especially not about a guy. He wanted to know more than ever.

"Actually, Daniel... It's a she," Tessa said, her voice as steady as before, containing not an ounce of nervousness.

"I'm dating a woman named Alex. I met her in New York, and she's amazing. I... came home this time to tell my parents, though I haven't quite succeeded with that yet." She chuckled, watching Daniel's face change into something marvelous.

"You... What?" He didn't know what to think. He thought she was poking fun at him at first, but he dismissed that idea after a moment. She wouldn't do that, and even if she would, he could tell she wasn't. The joy on her face and in her voice came from something real.

"Where is she?" he asked, immediately scanning the room as if it would be obvious.

Tessa chuckled at his excitement, then turned and pointed towards the door with a face full of pride. "That's Alex."

Daniel saw her and his eyes widened once more. "Her? Wow! I would never have guessed!" Tame, innocent, meek little Tessa. How unexpected. "Tell me everything! Start with how you got those marks."

It was Tessa's turn to look surprised, and she immediately flushed red. "Absolutely not!" she squeaked. There was no way she could narrate what they did in that coat closet!

"Oh? Then don't blame me!" Daniel grinned and stood up, walking away quickly before she could attempt to stop him. If she wouldn't say, he would just have to go ask her girlfriend. Hah, Tessa Reigns had a girlfriend! He really knew how to pick his friends.

Dillon had been heading towards Tessa when Daniel came out of nowhere and began to fawn over her as he always did. Ugh. Pathetic. Nothing had changed since prep school.

He was already in a pissy mood; there were rumors going around about two people who had been having some ‘fun’ in the coat room. Between the absence of his date and her not very well hidden hickeys, he immediately knew that one of those people had been Tessa.

With a frustrated growl, he stormed over towards the bar. Tessa had played coy on their date and all night even though she was anything but. He had had enough of this.

He ordered something fruity and fizzy for Tessa and a whiskey for himself. Giving a quick glance around once the tender had left him, he was fairly certain no one was paying any attention to him. He smoothly slipped a pill out of his inner jacket pocket and dropped it into Tessa’s drink where it quickly dissolved into nothingness.

——————————-

Alex was always hyper aware at the bar, even in a classy place like this. There were lots of stories of girls getting drugged within their circle, and though it had never happened to her, it still put her on edge. She always watched the tender make her drink, never let it out of her sight, etc. But this time something caught her eye: the object of her hatred. Stupid Dillon and his stupid face was a few patrons down from her.

She was ready to ignore his pitiful existence when she noticed him reach into his jacket for something. She couldn’t see exactly what it was...but it definitely wasn’t a tip for the tender. His hand had passed over the pink drink and not the other, making her even more suspicious.

Alex left her spot, only to have a very excited looking man come her way. “Alex, right? Daniel Rogers, I’m friends with Tessa. Pleasure to meet you!”

“Nice to meet you,” she peered over his shoulder, stomach sinking as she saw Dillon approaching Tessa. “Excuse me,” Alex brushed past Daniel.

She should have ran. She should have not cared and made a scene. But she was stupid and in heels. “Tess! Don’t drink that.” It was too late though, her girlfriend had already drank about half of it. Alex’s heart rate spiked with fear, which never sat well with the singer, and quickly transformed into anger. “What did you put in it?” Alex hissed, rounding on Dillon. She was trying her best to not draw attention their way...but there was only one way this was going to go unless Dillon suddenly grew a conscience and came clean. “I saw you at the bar.”

Dillon scoffed, as though that accusation the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard in his life. “Preposterous. Surely you’ve had too much to drink yourself and are mistaken, Miss.”

“If there’s nothing in it, then drink it.” Alex glared. She wasn’t drunk. She had seen what she had seen, she knew it.

“No. I don’t have to do anything about your your baseless accusations.”

“Fine.” She might not be drunk, but she was certainly crazy. Alex took the drink from Tessa and brought the glass to her lips, prepared to down the rest of it. This was what finally caused Dillon to panic. He had a plan for Tessa when she passed out, but this stranger was not something he had accounted for and there would be time for him to formulate a plan to cover up this loose end. He lunged forward, knocking the drink out of Alex’s hand and sending it shattering down onto the floor.

This was all the confirmation of her fears that Alex needed. How dare this piece of shit!! She immediately sent a punch to Dillon’s face, launching her entire body into him as the follow up.

Dillon tried his best to defend himself but he wasn’t a fighter, not in the least, so he tried some of his silver tongued charm. “What do you care?! Going to fight me over some whore who likes to take it from behind?! Tessa has been stringing me along all night.”

Alex didn’t know in what universe those words would have defused this situation. All they did was serve to enrage her further, this time she sent a punch right to Dillon’s nose, hearing the ‘crack’ of broken bone as her fist landed. “If I ever, -ever- see you near her again, I will fucking kill you.” Alex seethed.

“Alex, Alex honey!” Daniel pushed past the circle of people watching the fight and not doing a damn thing about it. He tried to grab at the brunette. He was bigger but she was swinging and probably would have started fighting him too in this state. “You did it, he’s out.” He tried again, this time managing to grab the scrappy little fighter under the armpits and yanking her upwards with a grunt. “Come on, Tessa needs to go home.”

At the mention of Tessa’s name, the red fog that had descended over Alex seemed to disappear. She hurried over to where Tessa sat, hands finding her arms and giving them a little squeeze “Tess. Baby. Are you okay?” Her emotions switched just like that; absolute rage to pure concern for her lover. She searched Tessa’s eyes, finding that they were a little glazed over.

“Come on, I’m going to take you somewhere safe, okay?” Alex murmured, gently shepherding her love up out of her seat and towards the exit.

“You get the coats, I’ll get my car.” Daniel passed off his coat room ticket and then rushed over to the valet while Alex grabbed all of their things and kept an eye on Tessa.

“Let’s take her to the hospital.” She knew most drugs for this were downers, Tessa could probably just sleep it off. But she was freaked out, there were too many variables. Tessa didn’t take drugs, one time she had tried one of their bandmate’s edibles and thrown it up so Alex knew her tolerance was pretty low. How much had this dosage been? Would it make her sick too? She’d never seen her girlfriend this zoned out and it scared her.

Tessa couldn't stop Daniel, but she didn't try that hard either. She loved Alex, and Daniel was her childhood friend, so she didn't mind the two of them meeting one another. In fact, she smiled as she watched him run in Alex's direction. Alex needed to keep her mouth shut about the coatroom, though!

It didn't take long for her good mood to be ruined, however. Not long after Daniel left, Dillon showed up, standing before her with that disgusting smile and a fruity drink. Even with the hickeys and what was likely a fast-spreading rumor, the man was still pathetic enough to try and woo her. Still, he had yet to give her a reason to be rude. Even when she tried to say she had a drink coming already, he simply sat it in front of her and told her it was fine and that she could have both.

Fortunately for him, she was thirsty. Otherwise, she would have thrown it in his face, or at least pushed it away.

By the time she finished half of the drink and pulled the glass away from her lips, her throat felt better. Yet, a second later, she heard Alex's voice, and there was something odd about it.

"Alex, what's going on?" she asked, looking at her girlfriend, who looked furious and wasn't making any sense.

Then, after hearing a little of their back and forth, something clicked in Tessa's head. Even before Alex told him to drink it, the fact that Dillon hadn't asked what she was talking about meant he had some idea. Tessa instantly felt sick, her entire body going into fight or flight mode as she stared at a man who had clearly lost his mind.

However, she suddenly felt odd, and she was unable to say anything, her adrenaline response and anger being buried beneath something else, a heaviness that crawled through every part of her.

Even when the drink was knocked out of Alex's hand, she couldn't summon words, her groggy mind struggling just to take everything in. What was happening? Shit.

The insults and fight that followed were hazy images, barely managing to penetrate her mind. But while it was happening, she was struggling, trying to call Alex's name, scared and desperately wanting to get her lover's attention.

Fortunately, Daniel was still nearby, and he ran over, stopping Alex from taking things further. Tessa sighed with relief internally, still struggling to stay conscious, much less talk or move her body.

"Don't... Feel good..." was all Tessa managed to say when Alex returned to her side, her voice heavy and low. She wasn't entirely sure what happened next, but she seemed to have walked out of the venue with Alex's help, something she couldn't fathom possible with how dazed and awkward she felt, her very thoughts sluggish.

She managed to speak a few more times as they went, trying to prevent Alex from taking her to the hospital, but none of it worked. How could it when she was asking through slow, heavy speech weighed down by an unknown drug. If she were still of able mind, she might be wondering just how much Dillon used to put her in such a state and what he planned to do to her... but she couldn't even think that far in her current state.

Tessa continued to meander forward, following Alex with absolute trust as they moved from the gala to the hospital. From there, her memories grew even dimmer, and it wasn't long before Tessa remembered nothing at all, with the lights turned out and her body unable to continue on.

---

Tessa woke up startled, sitting up in bed with cold sweat soaking her clothes. She gripped the sheets below her and started looking around, her heavy breathing and wide eyes revealing her state of panic. Only, the person she expected to see, the one who would have made her feel better, was nowhere to be seen, and her panic intensified. Had Alex saving her been a dream?

The very thought that the worst had happened caused Tessa to shiver, her mind thrown into chaos.

"Tessa, sweetie!" Tessa's mother was the first to react, standing up from one of the seats along the wall of the suite and rushing to Tessa's side. She grabbed Tessa's hand, looking on with concern as her daughter shook and panicked. "It's okay, sweetie, you're okay."

Tessa turned and looked at her mother, not showing even an ounce of comfort after seeing her. Instead, she tried to pull her hand away, appearing jumpy at the sudden touch.

Everyone in the room looked on oddly, her father, aunt, and cousins not knowing what to make of it. The only one who seemed to understand her action was Daniel, who was standing nearby, away from her family.

"Where's Alex?" she asked with a strained voice, ignoring the looks and everything else as she asked the only thing that mattered. Why would Alex leave her? She didn't understand.

"Alex... Sweetie, she..." Tessa's mother seemed hesitant to respond.

"She assaulted Dillon, so she was arrested," her father said, though unlike Mrs. Reigns hesitance and concern, he appeared more interested in his daughter's response.

"No!" Tessa looked towards him in panic. "Why would they arrest her? Why!" Her gaze was accusatory, and it seemed as if she were asking everyone in the room why they had allowed such a thing, Daniel included.

"She attacked Dillon, so why would anyone stop it? You need to make better friends, Tessa," Addison chimed in, forgetting her place and revealing some disdain she normally kept hidden.

When Tessa realized her parents weren't saying anything, seeming to agree, she lost it, ignoring her headache and the mind-crushing fear of what almost happened and glaring at them.

"You're defending a man who planned to rape me?" she asked, hoping that they didn't know, hoping that they still had some humanity. Fortunately, at those words, even Addison flinched, looking stunned and confused.

"Sweetie, what do you mean by that?" her mother asked, her voice shaking.

"I'm saying that Dillon spiked my drink at the gala, and I have been passed out in this bed because I was drugged!" she shouted, tears beginning to spill from her eyes. "Alex was just defending me, furious that he wanted to lay his hands on me. She was angry because some disgusting creep wanted to hurt her girlfriend!"

A bomb went off in the room, but Tessa didn't bother explaining herself, not even when her parents tried to stop her. She didn't care. Even if they chose to cut her off, they didn't deserve a damn explanation.

"I'm going to get the person I love, the person who protected me, out of jail, so just leave me alone," she finally said, trying her best to change into a fresh set of clothes as quickly as possible.

At some point, Daniel had moved to her side silently, not saying anything as he handed her some jeans and a t-shirt from the luggage he brought over last night. Even when she started to leave, he just followed along, planning to give her a ride. Tessa had been there for him once upon a time, and he finally had the chance to be there for her.

By the time they got out to the car, Alex was pretty much carrying Tessa. Her movements were sluggish, her speech was slurred, and Alex was a nervous wreck from all of it because she’d never seen Tessa like this before. “I know. I know you don’t want to go to the hospital baby but it’ll make me feel a lot better if we just get a doctor to look at you.”

Alex sat in the back with her. No sooner had she gotten Tessa settled did the other girl become unresponsive. “Tess, hey, wake up.” There was a note of panic in her voice as she shook her, when that didn’t work, she pinched her, when that still didn’t work, she went to check to make sure she was still breathing. Tessa’s breathing was soft, like she was sleeping, but no matter what Alex did to annoy her, she didn’t wake up.

She felt a tiny bit better when they got to the hospital. Daniel had to take care of everything though; Alex was too much of a wreck to function.

————————

A few hours later, at about 2 in the morning, there was a knock on the door and in strode a hulking man of a police officer.

“Ryan, sweetheart, what are you doing here?” Apparently the officer was Daniel’s husband. Daniel knew that his spouse still had an hour left on his shift, so he shouldn’t be here. And he had already texted him that he’d be here at the hospital with Tessa all night so that there would be no need for him to fret.

“-Officer- Rogers.” The man growled out with the annoyance of someone who had to remind his spouse to refer to him by his title when he was on the job at least 10,000 times. “And...I’m here to arrest Ms. Javorcek for-“

“You’re arresting -her-?!” Daniel interrupted, leaping out of his chair and waving his hands exasperatedly. “She didn’t do anything wrong!”

“Several witnesses reported that she assaulted and maliciously harassed a councilman.”

“Ryan, you can’t be serious. Look at Tessa! Look at what happened here. How are you not out there arresting Dillon Luther?!?!”

“I’ll go.” Alex said quietly, rising from her place next to Tessa’s bedside.

“You’ll what?!” Daniel squeaked as he whipped around to face her.

This wasn’t the first time Alex had been arrested...though every other time before had been something to do with her homelessness: panhandling, loitering, vagrancy, etc. This was her first violent offense (well, not really. She’d been in many fights before but never with someone who’d actually press charges); but still, she knew enough about the system to understand that once the report had been filed, there was no taking it back. Alex would go to jail, she’d get a lawyer or public defender, and then a judge would decide whether or not to keep her locked up or to let her free with a future court date. Arguing and fighting here would only make all of this worse and add ‘resisting arrest’ to her charges later. “I said I’ll go.”

The officer nodded. “Hands behind your back.”

Before she surrendered herself, Alex gave Tessa’s brow a kiss and whispered that she loved her.

“Handcuffs?!?!” Daniel yelped. “You can’t be serious.”

“The nature of her crime and her priors.” The officer sighed, “I am sorry, dearest. I’m just doing my job.”

Daniel glared daggers at his husband. They’d have a long talk about him ‘just doing his job’ later.

“Have your friend file a report when she wakes up and make sure the nurses did a tox screen,” the was the best advice the officer could give before escorting Alex out to his squad car.

—————————

After she had been fingerprinted and had her mug shot taken, the officers at the station tried to ask her questions about what had happened. She knew enough to keep her mouth shut for that part. Once the attempted questioning was over, she used her phone call for the band’s lawyer. Marty assured her that he could get her out, but they’d have to wait until morning when the judge woke up...and even then it might be touch and go because it was a holiday.

So she might be here anywhere from 24 to 48 hours.

And then into a jail cell she went.

There would have been a time in her life where Alex wouldn’t have minded a warm and safe place like this to sleep. Tonight though, her mind was stuck on Tessa and how royally she had fucked everything up by letting her temper get the better of her.

———————-

Judging by the amount of soft grey light coming in through the windows, it was a little after 6am when a portly, grumpy looking officer banged on the metal bars of her cell to wake her up. “Javorcek? Wake up. Come with me.”

This guy was much more in line with her memories of police officers, unlike the original arresting officer had been. Alex groaned a bit as she stirred, rolling her shoulders because she had declined to lay on the questionably clean padded mat in her cell and had instead been dozing against the cinder block wall while sitting up.

She stood, body heavy with exhaustion because she hadn’t really slept. It had been a busy night at the station and the constant in and out of the officers, as well as the noise of the inmates, had kept her up most of the night. “Wha’s going on?” She yawned as she waited for the officer to unlock the cell and let her out.

“Someone bailed you out.”

Last edited:
Tessa recalled almost nothing after taking a sip of the spiked drink, but she could imagine how the rest of the night went. After all, she knew Alex well, and she knew how caring the singer was beneath her tough exterior; it was one of the reasons she loved her so much. So, it made sense that only something like being thrown in jail could keep Alex from her side.

The more she thought about it, though, the angrier she became. Not at Alex, of course, but at everyone else in her life. Even if she didn't expect anything from her cousins and aunt, her parents were a different story. She didn't believe for a second that her father had no idea of what was going on, not after the time her and Alex spent together at the party and what happened with Dillon.

No, even if her father didn't know everything, he knew enough to know who Alex was to her. In fact, when she stopped being scared about being found out and used her brain, she realized that he probably knew long ago, or at least from the day she arrived home with Alex; he wasn't the type of man to leave things be and not check on them. If he did, it wouldn't be hard to discover their life together; they didn't hide it.

If Tessa was right, and she was confident she was, that meant that her father had allowed everything to happen. Not the attempted rape, he couldn't have predicted that, but the arrest and lack of representation for Alex. He allowed her to endure that, and for what?

No, it didn't matter. What mattered is where she was going... Where the hell was she going?

It took Tessa a while to realize that the extent of her plan was storming out with a vague goal, to rescue her hero from the arms of villainy. More simply put, she needed to post bail. Only, she didn't know how to do that, or which precinct to go to, or even who to talk to when she got there to demand justice. Fortunately, Daniel was her guiding light.

When she needed clothes, he handed them to her, and the moment she stormed out, he followed. Even when they were leaving the hospital, he stopped to retrieve a copy of Tessa's tox screen, preparing everything she would need to help Alex get a fair shake. He even offered to drive and gave her a quick rundown of what she should do when they got there. He was sort of an expert, after all.

Listening attentively, Tessa got her thoughts straight, all the while working herself up for what was to come.

---

Tessa didn't remember when she got worked up, but at some point, someone pissed her off. Really, she wasn't even sure who it had been at that point; she just knew that one of them had tried to tell her she wouldn't be able to bail out Alex, and she had lost it.

The moment Tessa got angry, something that rarely ever happened, the entire precinct learned about it. She name-dropped, she threatened, and she accused anyone who so much as opened their mouth to speak against her of being bought by the disgusting waste of life known as Dillon.

"I swear to god, I'll have every reporter in the state down here in half an hour, and they'll have the scoop of their lives. Tessa Reigns, heiress to the illustrious Reigns family, was almost raped by Councilman Dillon Luther! Her girlfriend, famous singer Alex Javorcek, was arrested after rushing her to the hospital where it was revealed she had roofies in her system! Imagine the headlines!"

An officer tried to calm her down, but she showed no signs of stopping, absolutely livid, her small stature seeming to dwarf everyone else as she glared and shouted like a spoiled rich girl who had never been told no.

Even Daniel, who had long-since spoken with his husband, couldn't get through to her. It seemed nobody would be able to calm her down.

After Tessa had had her outburst and stormed out of the hospital, her father decided he needed to make some calls. Many of the events of the evening had been disconcerting...far more so than he could have ever predicted. He knew about his daughter’s alias, knew that she was in some rock and roll band, and had a suspicion that she was romantically involved with this Alex woman. But he had truly hoped that coming home would be good for his baby girl, that Tessa would see the world she had left behind and want to return to it. Or at the very least, really think about coming home and leaving that godforsaken city she stayed in.

He had been very, very wrong with his calculations.

“Well. I’m going to go work for a little while, darlin’” he said as he gave his wife a chaste kiss on the cheek.

“But Robert, it’s Christmas!”

“Just a few hours dear. Don’t fret, I’ll be home well before lunch.” He smiled reassuringly, then put his jacket on and left.

Mr. Reigns would never have made it this far into his political career if he had gone through life blind and had left everything to chance. He knew everything there was to know about the situation with his daughter...well, everything minus Councilman Luther’s abhorrent behavior. Honestly he had been agreeing with his wife that the pair would be a good match up until this point. And yet, despite knowing everything about Tessa and her ‘friend’, he still had taken up a position of observer. He hadn’t meddled, hadn’t spoken up, but he had been paying very close attention. At the end of the day, he needed to see what his daughter was made of.

‘A man is reflected by the company he keeps,’ had been one of his father’s favorite quotes. So of course, when Tessa wanted to bring this stranger into his home for the holidays, he had had his aides find everything there was on this Alexandria Javorcek character. There had been...a lot. Most of it was bad: Alex’s criminal records, her lack of family and questionable status of her wealth, the girl hadn’t even finished high school....though she did appear to hold a GED. The pictures of her on her band’s social media account weren’t that comforting either; the images were tasteful but the girl was obviously very sexual. It was mind blowing to him that his sweet little girl associated with a common thug. He had thought they had raised her better.

But apparently his daughter was very much like him in that he could see the potential in people. He had come across some redeeming qualities of Alex too: her charity work and the band’s out reach programs that targeted troubled and musically inclined youth...and then there were the pictures of Alex and his daughter together, the ones where Tessa had on the brightest smile, the one he had only seen whenever she played piano.

Of course he still worried about Tessa pursuing this life style. Worried about her soul. Worried about what people would say about her. Worried about what kind of family she would be able to have and the life she would lead. The political world could be vile and toxic; so he wasn’t too particularly concerned with what was said about him. Obviously it would just be easier if his daughter would settle down with a man like a normal person...but as far as he was concerned, as long as she wasn’t hurting herself, hurting others, and keeping the Commandments as best she could, and was truly happy...well, then he could grow to accept her choices. Besides, Tessa had never been a ‘normal’ child. Interested more in musical notes than the finer points of law and politics, running off to New York when there were perfectly fine colleges down here...his daughter turned out to be full of surprises.

By the time he got to his offices, it was early, much earlier than he would ever demand himself or his aides to be there on a non election year. And yet here they were, he and some of his closest staff ready to tear into Dillon Luther, as well as pull some strings down at the DA’s office for the sake of his little girl.

———————————

Alex was coming down the drab grey hallway that separated the cells from the lobby when she heard a very familiar voice shouting in the middle of the precinct. Hearing Tessa getting fired up on her behalf made her smile.

As soon as she could, she hurried over and wrapped up her girlfriend in a big bear hug and stole her lips in a fierce kiss. She had been so worried! Sighing with relief and releasing some pressure from her hold now that she knew her lover was okay, she felt much better.

But now she was also a little upset that she was out of the hospital already. Who had let her out of there?!?! Her girlfriend had been drugged for fuck’s sake!! “I’m so glad you’re alright...but what are you doing here? You should be resting. I would have been okay in here for awhile longer.” Alex chided. She actually didn’t look too bad considering she had been in a brawl and had spent half the night in a jail cell. Still in her evening gown, her face was tired and her arms were prickled with goosebumps from the cold cell, there was a scratch and little bruise under her eye where Dillon had thrown a punch and cut the flesh with his class ring...but other than that, she looked fine. She probably could have spent the whole 48 hours in here without going too crazy.

Now that she was free though, she was eager to get the fuck out of here. They were escorted to another officer who was in charge of discharging criminals. The lady gave her her jacket and the few belongings they had confiscated from her back. Then Alex waited there, patiently, for the papers that were sure to follow.

“Are you missing something?” The officer looked just as confused as Alex did.

“Uh...” Alex blinked. She’d done this enough to know the drill. She was supposed to get a bunch of paperwork after they gave her her stuff back. “My paperwork? Court date?”

“There isn’t any.”

Really? She had a hard time believing that. She’d been arrested in Ottawa and New York City and even between countries, the process had been the same....though the officers were arguably nicer in Canada than they were in America.

Seeing the girl’s disbelief, the officer explained further. “The DA’s office called us a couple of minutes ago. All the charges had been dropped and your arrest will automatically be expunged provided you have no convictions in the next five years. You’re free to go, Merry Christmas.”

———————-

“So where shall I take you two lovely ladies now?” Daniel sounded bright and chipper even though he still hadn’t slept yet, though he had snuck an energy drink in. “Breakfast? Brunch? Oh! You both must be so tired, where are my manners. You’re always welcome to come stay at our place. ...or I could take you home.” He said the last bit more tentatively. He didn’t know how well Tessa would be received at her home....he didn’t think her mother would toss out a guest on a holiday, just because that was slightly less Christian and Southern than disowning a gay daughter. But still, it could be bad. “I refuse to bring you to one of those terrible hotels though! It’s Christmas, you should stay somewhere nice and fashionably decorated.”

Alex yawned for the 10th time and snuggled in the back of the car with Tessa. “Wherever Tessa wants to go,” the singer mumbled as she rested her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder. No sooner had she done so did she begin to doze off.

It seemed like nothing would be able to calm the raging Tessa, but the moment she was wrapped up in Alex's arms, relief and calm washed over her. If that weren't enough, the lips pressed against hers did the rest, forcing her to stop talking.

Tessa showed no signs of shyness as she returned the kiss, so happy to see Alex that everything else stopped mattering, including the many pairs of eyes watching their public display of affection. If anything, Tessa appeared intent on deepening the kiss. Unfortunately, she didn't get her wish.

"Hey! Don't treat me like some weak thing that always needs to be protected, even if I needed you last night..." she whispered the last part, but she was smiling instead of looking distraught about what happened. "Besides, if you want me to rest, you should take me somewhere more comfortable instead of chastising me here."

She was worried about Alex as well, so she didn't wish to stand there doing nothing for long either. She wanted to go home, though perhaps driving back immediately wasn't wise. Therefore, perhaps a hotel, somewhere they could get some rest and prepare for the long trip back home. At the moment, she wasn't even entertaining the idea of returning to her parents' house, no matter what that would mean.

"Maybe after a little nap, I'll even play nurse~" Tessa cooed, already feeling back to her old self after one hell of a week.

Of course, what really sounded nice was something to eat and a comfy bed, so after her bit of teasing, she went with Alex to get her things. Fortunately, unlike the past few days, everything started going right.

"Look at that, the power of money," Tessa sneered, not focusing her discontent on the officer but finding it interesting that her family name was worth more than the truth, probably. She couldn't be sure that her threats or something else had influenced things, but considering how much power Dillon held, she doubted things would go so well without something nudging things into motion.

Still, after muttering a bit, she sighed and returned the season's greeting, trying not to come across as a complete stuck-up rich bitch, even if that had been her goal at the start.

---

The car ride gave Tessa a chance to calm down and think, with Alex's presence having a lulling influence on her. She felt calm, clear-headed, and more than that, content. She really did have everything she needed, even if she were too stupid to see it before.

"Well, I was thinking about going to a hotel..." Tessa started, though Daniel's expression told her that he meant what he said and that he wouldn't be taking them anywhere near a hotel.

"But I guess it wouldn't be bad to stay with you if you really don't mind. Though..." Tessa sighed, not even wanting to say what she was thinking. She had already decided not to go back, damn it!

"I probably need to stop by the estate and get the rest of our stuff, even if it means facing some annoying looks. God, I really hope I don't run into Addison." She wasn't scared of her cousin, not anymore, but that didn't mean she felt like dealing with her particular brand of bitch, not now.

Seeing Alex exhausted and ready to sleep, Tessa made sure she was comfortable, doing her best not to move and disturb her.

"Actually, take me to the Reigns estate, Daniel." Her voice sounded firm, containing a certain edge it lacked before. Right, they let Tessa stay in that shitty place for an entire day, so who cared if they looked at her funny; she would just give them a piece of her mind if they acted that way!

"Also, maybe stop for fast food along the way..." she said, almost embarrassed to say so right after acting all hard and ready to fight. It only became worse when Daniel looked at her like she had just asked him to commit murder.

“Nooooooo. No estate. Not while I look like this and you get to look like that.” Alex whined sleepily. She cuddled into Tessa and pouted a bit as she did so. Ugh. She was too tired to still be in a dress, heels, and sexy underwear with stockings held up with garters. What a waste! Tessa hadn’t gotten to see what was under the dress and Alex was now so uncomfortable in the damned thing that she was ready to cut the whole outfit off herself with a pair of hedge clippers. “Knew I should have just worn the suit Miranda picked out,” the singer grumbled. At least then she would have been in a slightly more comfortable bra and without the damn garter belts. Right now she’d kill for a pair of joggers and a flannel. She’d just have to tough it out a little while longer so that she could get her luggage and car.

“Miranda? You mean Miranda Lawton? She put you in that dress off a rack instead of calling me?!” Daniel huffed, grumbling something about the next time he saw Miranda Lawton and the earful she would get.

“Mrrrph.” Alex gave an unhappy grunt and buried herself deeper into Tessa’s space at Daniel’s excited state.

Daniel appeared to take the hint and calmed himself down. Though Tessa did little to help him when she asked for fast food. Fast food?! Eaten in his car like an animal?! Such sacrilege! “You come all this way after a year and could finally have some delicious southern cooking...and you want -fast food-?!” Begrudgingly he did stop at some horrible fast food chain, his friend had had an abysmal night after all so he’d enable this terrible request. “If either of you spill any of that anywhere in here, I will push you both out of the car and into traffic.”

———————

By the time they pulled up to the estate, Alex was feeling a little more awake thanks to her cat nap, a coffee, and a breakfast sandwich. She still harbored feelings of foolishness due to how she was dressed (wearing an evening gown at 9am was how embarrassing walks of shame started), and she wasn’t entirely enthused about going in the mansion either.

She would for Tessa though, she wasn’t about to let her girlfriend go face her family alone.

Tessa didn't really want to go back to the estate either, not considering how she pictured it going in her head. However, she was done being afraid of how other people would act. It was her life, and she refused to compromise any longer, a decision that included getting their things and never returning if need be. It still scared her, of course, and she would still be sad if everything ended there for her and her family, but she couldn't keep suppressing herself for the sake of preserving a fragile relationship built on lies.

"It's fine. You don't even have to come in," Tessa said, trying to be consoling but failing a bit. She really wanted Alex with her, by her side as much as possible. In fact, she was already beginning to question why they weren't already at a hotel, wrapped in one another's embrace.

There was also the issue of her thanking Miranda when she had time, a nice, distracting thought. After all, while she didn't get to enjoy it as much as she wished she had, the fact that Alex had worn a dress made her quite happy. Perhaps if she bought her a really nice dinner, she would figure out a way to make it happen again. Not that she didn't melt for Alex in a tux, but seeing her dressed up and displaying her feminine side was a delicious sight. Even after Alex spent a night locked up, Tessa could still appreciate it, especially the effort.

"You know, it could be fun to do a band photoshoot. I could get you in all kinds of stuff, and I'm sure Daniel would love to help," Tessa teased, looking at a sleepy Alex with all kinds of mischief in her eyes. She would likely have to give Alex a private show for the singer to even consider doing it, but it could be fun.

Whatever, she would think about how to convince her later. She was starving for the time being, and no amount of southern cooking sounded as good as something horrible and greasy, like a burger and some fries. It was all she could think about.

---

Food could only distract Tessa for so long, however. Eventually, with a full belly and more focused mind, she arrived at her family's estate. Truthfully, after storming out earlier, it was the last place she planned on being.

"I'm more nervous than I thought I would be," Tessa chuckled pitifully, trying to summon the courage she had felt right up until the moment they arrived in front of the house.

She leaned over and rested her head on Alex's shoulder, taking a moment to recharge as she softly apologized. "Sorry to put you through all of this." She knew Alex was there for her, and she loved her for it, but she wished she could have given her a more pleasant experience, even now.

"We can just get our things and leave. We don't have to deal with anything else," Tessa assured Alex. "After you change, of course."

After taking a minute to steel herself, Tessa stepped out of the car with Alex, heading towards the front door. What she heard upon stepping side was arguing, her mother's voice competing with the shrill voice of her aunt.

"She's my daughter, that hasn't changed!" was all she caught from her mother, followed by her aunt comparing her to Addison and saying something about how it would look for the family, to which her mother grew so angry she seemed to have broken something, a shattering sound reverberating through the estate.

Tessa froze, her eyes tearing up. She even looked at Alex, as if she wasn't sure about what she heard. It wasn't until she saw her aunt stomping their way, as furious as she had ever been, that she realized it was exactly what it sounded like.

Upon seeing her, her aunt didn't acknowledge her, walking away without so much as a change in expression. She didn't leave, however, merely heading to a different part of the mansion, likely to kick up a fuss with some of the other visiting relatives who shared her view on the matter. Still, Tessa didn't care, barely paying her any mind as she leaned over and hugged Alex, a spark of hope ignited in her heart.

"Hey... you should go and change. I'll see how my mother is doing." It almost sounded like an unsure question, as if she didn't know whether she would actually do it or not, but after hearing something break, she felt compelled to go check immediately. As for Alex, she hoped she would return as soon as possible, but she didn't want to drag her around in her current state. Besides, as long as she wasn't about to be called disgusting or a heathen and cast out, she could manage a brief exchange with her mother.

"Hurry back, though, okay?" she said, waiting for Alex to nod or say something before she slowly started walking in the direction of the earlier shouting, hesitance obvious in her awkward gait.

“Don’t be nervous.” Alex murmured, giving Tessa a soft kiss to her temple. “You’re my brave girl, everything will be alright.” She tried to reassure her as they climbed out of the car. With the car doors closed, and the two of them a little less out of Daniel’s earshot, Alex added. “I put you through all sorts of things when you’re my pet, it’s only fair you get to make me do horrible and uncomfortable things sometimes too.” Honestly she’d rather do this than spend a night at Club Bound half naked with a leash, collar, cat ears and a buttplug tail on.

They entered the estate just in time to hear shrill voices going at it, as well as the shattering of something that was no doubt very expensive. Alex looked at her girlfriend, concerned about her going in there after all that, but she merely nodded and did as she was told. This was Tessa’s chance to take control of her own story, and she would relinquish it readily.

“I’ll be really quick.” She gave her lover a soft kiss and a reassuring squeeze to her hand before heading off the opposite way to get out of these damned heels.

———————

At the sound of footsteps approaching, Mrs. Reigns prepared to tell whatever staff member was coming in to leave her. Shaking with anger and adrenaline, she was in no mood to deal with another living thing. All that changed though when it turned out to be her daughter at the door.

“Tessa, dear.” Mrs. Reigns took a deep breath and dabbed her eyes with a tissue. “How much of that did you hear?” she asked quietly. Hopefully her daughter had not heard any of the truly awful things her sister had said. Rebecca had made her so angry, to the point she had actually thrown a vase across the room to shut her up! She had never done anything like that before... And so she could only imagine how hurt her little girl would be if she had heard her aunt saying any of those cruel things.

“You know, I often pray for you to find someone who will love you and take care of you...someone well off, sensible, strong and kind who will be good for you; you were always such a quiet and shy girl...I wanted a person who bring you out of your shell.” She had thought her matches were all men who would elevate her daughter; apparently her picker was terrible because the last man had wanted to subdue her little girl further.

“Your father and I aren’t going to be around forever after all and I...well...” she huffed slightly, unsure of what to say. This was all so new and she was acutely aware that she was out of her depths when speaking about it. She wanted to be sensitive but also didn’t know the right words to use. “Well...I want you to be taken care of when we’re gone and I suppose I should have been more specific in my prayers if I didn’t want that person to be a woman.”

While Mrs. Reigns was a religious conservative, she also understood the Bible in the scope of a historical text...one that had made laws and rules specifically so the people at the time could procreate and lead healthier lives. And the verses that discussed homosexuality were really often tainted with rape, incest, and pedophilia....nothing about two men in love, and absolutely nothing on two women. While the Bible may not be perfectly clear on two consenting gay adults, it was incredibly specific in its views on the ill-treatment of others and casting judgement...and she wasn’t going to cast out or judge her own daughter. She couldn’t pretend to know what was in her daughter’s mind or in her heart.

Besides, she wasn’t about to argue with God when He gave her an unconventional answer to her prayers either.

“How long has...this...been going on.” ‘This’ obviously meant her daughter’s homosexual relationship, but she didn’t know what to call it. Alex obviously wasn’t a fling, Tessa would never bring someone home unless she was looking for approval. So that must meant that this was something serious.

And if her daughter was indeed looking for approval in her serious relationship, then Mrs. Reigns had many, many questions about Alex. How much did she make? Did she treat Tessa well? Did she -really-? (The tattoos and the fighting made her nervous) When did they plan on settling down and getting married? What were they going to do about giving her grandbabies?

———————-

Alex felt immense relief now that she was out of that awful, feminine clothing. She was going full on soft butch today! Boy shorts and a comfy sports bra, as well as a nice sweater and jeans. She could definitely use a shower to freshen up, as well as a much longer nap...but she would have both of those things with her lover once they left the estate.

True to her word to not leave Tessa alone for a long time, she jammed everything into her luggage without folding it. Then she left her room and wandered about lost for only a minute or two before James collected her and kindly escorted her to the family room where Tessa and her mother sat, talking, she was sure she heard the word ‘grandbabies’, but thought the sleep deprivation was making her hallucinate . Alex gently set down her bags by the door to not make a huge ruckus, then cleared her throat to announce her presence.

“Oh! Alex dear...” Mrs. Reigns turned from her daughter and offered her guest a polite smile, though her face soon fell when she saw the bags. “Ya’ll aren’t leaving already, are you? It’s been so long since you’ve visited, Tessa.”

The moment Tessa saw her mother, she began to tear up a bit. She hid it well, but the moment her mother defended her, even if she had only caught a few words, it released a pressure that had been weighing on her chest. Sure, she would have lived a happy life if her parents shunned her, one spent with the woman who loved her. However, she didn't want to just give up if she didn't have to.

"Not much. Just enough." Tessa smiled softly, looking at how worried her mother seemed. Of course, she faltered a bit when prayer was mentioned, but it didn't go exactly how she expected it to. Her mother somehow thought her vague prayers were important, but it came off more amusing than anything.

Besides, other than gender, the things her mother wanted for her had come true, so maybe her prayer had been effective, after all.

Tessa listened to her mother, letting her ramble for a bit, the two of them only sitting down when she finally calmed down. Then, Tessa finally found a chance to answer.

"How about I start from the beginning, from what happened when I was at Juilliard..."

Tessa started to tell her mother everything, skimming over most of it but telling her how she felt suffocated at the idea of returning, how she wanted to play music, how she joined a band, and how she met Alex. She told her how they started as friends, how Alex was there for her more than anyone else, and how she fell in love.

Tessa didn't mention how she held back her feelings throughout her childhood, some things didn't need to be said, but she told her mother everything she could about Alex. Alex was her everything, to an almost frightening degree, but she was an incredible woman. Hard-working, sensible, strong, and despite her huffing and puffing, nothing but sweet and loving to her. Alex brought out the best in her, and she gave her the best of herself.

"I love her, mom. Even if it sounds cheesy, I didn't know what love was before I met her."

Hearing that her daughter had been with Alex for a year didn't phase her nearly as much as the fact that she was in a band. In fact, none of what her daughter had said affected her as much as she thought it would. Mainly because the entire time Tessa was talking, she wore a bright smile, something her mother rarely remembered seeing in a young Tessa. She was a beautiful child, delightful and full of energy, but she lost a lot of her exuberance somewhere along the way. Before, she hadn't seen it, but in contrast, it was striking.

---

"Mom! Shush, you'll scare her off if she hears you talking about babies and marriage!" Tessa tried to quiet her mother down, but she couldn't wipe the smile off her face. She definitely wasn't ready for those two things, not right then and there, but she was increasingly sure that Alex would be the person she spent the rest of her life with.

Still, when she heard Alex announce herself with a clear of her throat, she turned with the same beautiful smile she had been wearing throughout the conversation. How much happier could she be? She had Alex, and she told her parents about her life without being shown the door. It was more than she ever dared to want.

"What do you think, Alex? Mind staying here a bit longer? This time, as my girlfriend." Tessa silently glanced at her mother, but when she didn't notice a change in expression, she sighed in relief, looking back at Alex with renewed vigor. She even pat the couch beside her, asking Alex to sit down with her, if she wanted.

Back
Top Bottom