Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Circumcision - Should it be the parent's choice?

Matariel

Planetoid
Yes. They might also get punched in the dick a lot in which case mebbe go full snip? What % of population needs to be circumcised for medicinal reasons? There are countries where nearly nobody gives their foreskin the snip and there is no epidemic of Nurglite-crotch.

Yes, having a procedure performed on your junk when you are 12 or older will suck. Unless they do this thing called anesthesia? Again, newborns often get very little of that. In fact as you age you become better equipped to handle pain and trauma. Remember your first vaccine? You likely threw a massive fit, I know I did. Nowadays it's just a thing that happens.

Versus

Planetoid
Yes. They might also get punched in the dick a lot in which case mebbe go full snip? What % of population needs to be circumcised for medicinal reasons? There are countries where nearly nobody gives their foreskin the snip and there is no epidemic of Nurglite-crotch.

Yes, having a procedure performed on your junk when you are 12 or older will suck. Unless they do this thing called anesthesia? Again, newborns often get very little of that. In fact as you age you become better equipped to handle pain and trauma. Remember your first vaccine? You likely threw a massive fit, I know I did. Nowadays it's just a thing that happens.
Anesthesia doesn't do too much for the anxiety about the procedure or psychological difficulty of surgically altering your penis as an adult or older child. And from what I've read, post-surgical complications are less common in infants, too. If it'll need to be done, it's clear to me that it's greatly preferable to do it as a newborn. I don't buy the "it's just like being brave about a vaccine" argument.

But maybe the risk of needing a circumcision later in life is small enough that it's not worth doing. That's the better way to think about it, in my opinion: a simple cost benefit analysis. What are the actual risks/costs involved, and what are the expected benefits on balance of probability? I don't know the answers.

Matariel

Planetoid
But maybe the risk of needing a circumcision later in life is small enough that it's not worth doing. That's the better way to think about it, in my opinion: a simple cost benefit analysis. What are the actual risks/costs involved, and what are the expected benefits on balance of probability? I don't know the answers.

Cost/benefit hangs on probabilities we don't have. We can probably assume the likelyhood of requiring a circumcision is rather low as we don't have outbreaks in coutnries where it's uncommon.

So if you ask me (and that's me shooting in the dark) it's a very low probability of saving yourself some stress down the line versus putting someone through a procedure that is not needed for them. Again, I sort of agree with the medical point of view. Or at least I accept it as partly valid.

If reasons are religious/cultural then no way in hell, that's downright barbaric.

Lady Irony

Super-Earth
Fair enough, but I'm not going to assume that's a real risk without evidence; it seems like a pretty outlandish claim to me. When infants are circumcised (typically hours to a week after their birth) they're years away from having brains capable of making real memory, and a single surgery is a far cry from the patterns of child abuse in the cases you're referring to.

A 12 year old having to get circumcised will cause a lot more anguish than a thirty-minute old whose skull hasn't even formed yet, so I really think that's a factor in the discussion that can't simply be hand-waved away.
I really have no set idea one way or the other. However I have heard of some men experiencing or expressing concerns regarding being circumcised as babies. I did a quick Google search "Men traumatized from circumcision" out of sheer curiosity and it seems to be a thing. There were plenty of sites but I have listed three below.

Versus

Planetoid
I really have no set idea one way or the other. However I have heard of some men experiencing or expressing concerns regarding being circumcised as babies. I did a quick Google search "Men traumatized from circumcision" out of sheer curiosity and it seems to be a thing. There were plenty of sites but I have listed three below.
Interesting stuff! I only skimmed, but it does seem from this that the PTSD and trauma are more severe in older children and adolescents who get circumcised than newborns, which makes sense and still begs the question of whether it's better to avoid that possibility by doing it early. Though perhaps it's not as harmless to newborns as is often described.

Lady Irony

Super-Earth
Interesting stuff! I only skimmed, but it does seem from this that the PTSD and trauma are more severe in older children and adolescents who get circumcised than newborns, which makes sense and still begs the question of whether it's better to avoid that possibility by doing it early. Though perhaps it's not as harmless to newborns as is often described.
No worries. I have heard of men feeling like they were violated by the procedure in cases when it was purely for cultural or aesthetics reasons. It makes sense, I know parents at times have to make decisions on their child's body which is obvious but for me circumcision is in most cases not for health related reasons.

In regards to religious religions, it does amuse me that a religious person would remove a part of someone's body to make their God happy. Was it not their God who designed the body to have those parts in the first place?

RonnieHildalgo

Super-Earth
i will jump in here ... splash....

ok i see it the same as getting kids ear pierced (mostly girls..)

both are are for cultural and mostly aestetic purposes (although i understand the possible argument for hygiene in circumcision) many kids get ears pierced and if not taken care of properly the same things can happen (infection etc...)

when you have a baby its different at the moment in society (just look at the gender reveal phenomenon ) we buy mostly blue things for boys, and mostly pink things for girls. (by the way did you know that before the 1970's and doppler was used all babies wore white?) for the most part its a societal influence thing. The real question is are you as parents ready to take the heat for choosing something unconventional for your child?

I'll give you an example from my own parenting experience. My daughter wated to ride the public transit instead of the yellow school bus since grade 1. She hated the bigger kids, the fights, and bullying that went along with the yellow bus ride, and she was familiar with our public transit as we do not drive and take the bus everywhere. The local public transit route luckily took her right to her school after stopping at a local transit hub, so she didnt even have to change buses. So we consented and off she went to school. Well about the third day the principal called us and threatened to bring child services down on our head for neglect because we let go on her own at such a young age. 1. no laws were broken as she was above the age of riding byherself, 2. we made sure she didnt have to chanfge busses or be confused as to where she needed to get of for her school. I called child services and asked them about it and even they said that as long as were no other complaints, we were fine in parenting our way.

the moral of the story... do what you think is best, but be prepared to have others judge you for your parenting style. Only you can be the judge of what is best for your child.

Hrairoo

Always be Batman
the moral of the story... do what you think is best, but be prepared to have others judge you for your parenting style. Only you can be the judge of what is best for your child.

Incorrect. That's why we have child services. Because some people aren't a good judge of what is best for their child. Also, it's a logical fallacy to say that simply because society/a majority is doing something, then it must be alright.

Top Bottom