Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Last Movie You Saw...

PadanFain said:
Dune

Um...what the hell? No, for real. I'm like going into it thinking "neat, scifi story" and I get a trippy, poorly done, mess. I'm fine with how old it is and yadda-yadda, but right from the beginning, I'm barely hanging on and grasping the "story". Feels like there was so much more, but they rushed it. Like, half of it was a preview for the REAL, LONGER movie or something. The ending had me confused and NOT feeling triumphant or rooting for anybody--and that last duel or whatever was very unstimulating. A few things I DID like about it was the acting was good from what I could gather(Max von Sydow for the win!), and the whole blue eyes thing was neat. The way they battled with those gun things was fricking sweet, too. I wouldn't recommend it though. Not unless you've read the book--I feel that the film did not transfer the story well enough and that I need a better background to understand the intricacies and details of the plot.

twitches. I seriously dislike that movie. I found it hard to follow and confusing. After having read Dune, my distaste for the movie only worsened. It barely followed the plot, and seriously fucked up the story.

Re: Dune: Part of it is, the book is unfilmable as a regular-length movie. Sci-Fi channel (I refuse to corrupt it to SyFy) did a 3-part miniseries that was more accurate to the book, but also moved as slowly as the book does (for all its quality, Dune is not a quick, action-packed romp). The advantage of the '80s version is the baroque art design, the all-star cast, the ultimate bizarre quoteability, and the fact that it's David Frikkin' Lynch. One of the most unusual and artistically difficult directors of the modern age, trying to do a big-budget direct narrative. Apparently he had the WORST time with the studio, and he's never worked with a big studio again. Me, I find it strange and fascinating, gorgeous to look at, and the weapon shortcut (to get past the necessity of having to explain "harsh environment = tougher fighter" over and over) was pretty badass. But it's a very controversial movie, so no worries for anyone liking or not liking.

Saw Alice last night, in 3D! Was very fond of all the distortions and weirdness, and I like the updating of the story. Not sure it needed to be 3D, but everything is 3D to milk the most cost out of a gullible public.

Sherlock Holmes

It was ok, i liked the end part. I just love it when everything fits together so perfectly ^^

Mr Master said:
Re: Dune: Part of it is, the book is unfilmable as a regular-length movie. Sci-Fi channel (I refuse to corrupt it to SyFy) did a 3-part miniseries that was more accurate to the book, but also moved as slowly as the book does (for all its quality, Dune is not a quick, action-packed romp). The advantage of the '80s version is the baroque art design, the all-star cast, the ultimate bizarre quoteability, and the fact that it's David Frikkin' Lynch. One of the most unusual and artistically difficult directors of the modern age, trying to do a big-budget direct narrative. Apparently he had the WORST time with the studio, and he's never worked with a big studio again. Me, I find it strange and fascinating, gorgeous to look at, and the weapon shortcut (to get past the necessity of having to explain "harsh environment = tougher fighter" over and over) was pretty badass. But it's a very controversial movie, so no worries for anyone liking or not liking.
I wouldn't have minded if it had gone slower. It's one of those things, after watching it, I kinda just wish I understood what the hell happened(I can kinda get the gist, but am still left with a headscratching motion). And I agree the cast was great and visually it was entertaining and interesting.

The Unborn

so-so horror flick but the main chick had the most amazing pair of eyes I've seen aside from blind mags >.>

PadanFain said:
Mr Master said:
I wouldn't have minded if it had gone slower. It's one of those things, after watching it, I kinda just wish I understood what the hell happened(I can kinda get the gist, but am still left with a headscratching motion). And I agree the cast was great and visually it was entertaining and interesting.
There's a director's cut that adds in a bunch of footage (grainy, not as quality) that explains more of what's going on, but pumps it out to four hours and still glosses over a lot. Yeah, that story can't well be told in a single reasonable-length movie.

Drag Me To Hell - well, i thought this would be atleast a little scary, but not really, its more funny than anything else BUT!!!! one thing is sure! she damn deserves to go to hell in that movie -hates that girl alot and laughed alot of the things there happens to her-

but yeah, you guys should watch it to see what i mean

Mulholland Dr.

8[ I don't get Lynch at all, but I cannot help being annoyingly curious and intrigued. This film made no sense, BTW. They get you with that odd "wtf?" in the beginning, hook you with it, then it starts to make sense and a sort of plot emerges that you can follow and it's like a mystery you try and figure out with the characters and then...it completely unravels and the rug is pulled out from underneath you and you doubt everything and the whole thing becomes absurd. Mark Pellegrino(the guy in my sig) was a coincidental surprise to see starring in this.

PadanFain said:
Mulholland Dr.

8[ I don't get Lynch at all, but I cannot help being annoyingly curious and intrigued. This film made no sense, BTW. They get you with that odd "wtf?" in the beginning, hook you with it, then it starts to make sense and a sort of plot emerges that you can follow and it's like a mystery you try and figure out with the characters and then...it completely unravels and the rug is pulled out from underneath you and you doubt everything and the whole thing becomes absurd. Mark Pellegrino(the guy in my sig) was a coincidental surprise to see starring in this.
I generally agree with you on this. I respect what Lynch does in general, but I have trouble following his dream-logic. To get this movie, I had to look up analyses online and try to follow along from there. It was nuts. But even when I can't understand him, he still puts together something oddly fascinating, in my opinion. Many people don't agree, but I never regret watching his stuff, even when I can't understand it.

Just rewatched Dune. The good one from the 80's.

And MM, i keep peeking into chat for you!

Mr Master said:
PadanFain said:
Mulholland Dr.

I generally agree with you on this. I respect what Lynch does in general, but I have trouble following his dream-logic. To get this movie, I had to look up analyses online and try to follow along from there. It was nuts. But even when I can't understand him, he still puts together something oddly fascinating, in my opinion. Many people don't agree, but I never regret watching his stuff, even when I can't understand it.

'mulholland drive'. honestly.... i hated, loathed and detested the flick. the cinematography was pretty. but for me, it so ended there. if i can't follow something (and i can be fairly decent even with some of the more abstract stuff out there), then it's done for me. it just is. for me, it was like a train wreck. you were wanting to turn the thing off, walk away, anything. BUT... for some reason, just couldn't. so you ended up rubber necking only to wish afterwards that you didn't b/c it resulted in an accident. in this case... you lost time to other things. LOL! it was the same for me with the flick 'fear and loathing in las vegas'. only that one, i DID up and walk away. lol. and i so <3 johnny depp too. but my god... i just couldn't do it. even i'm not that masochistic. lololol.

Raziel99 said:

And I keep not being there!

I don't tend to go into chat when I won't be able to devote some uninterrupted time to it. So perhaps later in the evening!

FAKE EDIT: DA, I do know what you mean, I understand the reaction, but maybe there's part of me that tries to puzzle it out, I dunno. I've never walked out of a flick, or shut it off before it's done. I pretty much am a cinemasochist, though, and I know this.

Mr Master said:
Raziel99 said:

And I keep not being there!

I don't tend to go into chat when I won't be able to devote some uninterrupted time to it. So perhaps later in the evening!

FAKE EDIT: DA, I do know what you mean, I understand the reaction, but maybe there's part of me that tries to puzzle it out, I dunno. I've never walked out of a flick, or shut it off before it's done. I pretty much am a cinemasochist, though, and I know this.
I wanted to do it publicly in chat, but i'll do it here.

Welcome to the superposters!

i actually rather enjoyed lynch's 'dune'. firstly... i could follow it. LOLOL! plus, i just liked what he did with it. i liked scifi channel rendition too. hehehe!!!

but back to walking out of flicks. yeah. i rarely do it, but i tend to pick and choose my movies so that i don't have to do that. i've only ever done it twice and that was with 'fear and loathing in las vegas' and 'heavenly creatures'. damn.... i just couldn't do it, LOLOL! nothing against the movies, they're just not my cup of tea. i've also ever turned off a DVD i rented/borrowed once. and that was...... and i'll probably get smacked for this since a lot of people seem to be fans of it for some crazy reason, lol..... 'napoleon dynamite'. but, i'm sorry... i just couldn't take it. that flick and i lasted for 10 mins before i just had to stop it. i just couldn't watch any more. lololol. again, nothing against these movies or their fans. they're just not my thing. i'm sure there's plenty that i'd watch or have watched that others would cringe at. heeee! XD so what comes around goes around. that's for sure. but i'm weird with comedies in general. i usually like comedies that are more witty than silly. BUT.... i do have some silly ones that i love and adore, for reasons unknown. lol. tho, in general, i tend to shy away from comedies as a whole. not sure why. they just don't usually appeal to me for some reason. it's odd that way.

Schindler's List
I went out feeling pretty fucked up and being in a strange mood, really didn't knew what to do, so i went out and lended Schindler's List, i have only heard about it, than it was a excelent movie. only thing i can tell, it was maybe the most special 3 hours i ever have had, i really just needed to watch it all at once, i personally think its a very beautiful movie and i can highly recommend it to others. heh, its also one of those movies which made me cry several times

How to train your dragon 3D

Very nice textures and graphics. Beautiful landscapes and details (still it's not Avatar but very decent nonetheless). Nice story although it follows the usual Hollywood plot structure that we all know too well now. Original characters, dragons and especially village conception. Every aspect of the movie had a good quality to it. Nice music too :3

Back
Top Bottom