Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Life of Valor (Grave x Kat)

Scott nodded.
"Yeah, I had no idea that Grace's empathy could be used that way. I look forward to being able to tell Mr. Morden that his wife is innocent."
His stomach rumbled and he looked toward the oven.
"Is the food almost done? I'm starved."

Jessica chuckled softly as she heard his stomach growl and nodded. "Almost." She checked on it in the oven then pulled it out, spread shredded cheese on top of it and put it back in the oven. "Just need to let the cheese melt." After another couple minutes she pulled it out and began to set the table.

Scott smiled and watched as Jessica took the cheesy chicken out and put shredded cheese on before putting it back in. He helped her set the table and then saw it pulled out a second time.
"I wonder how the money went missing from their savings account. We'll need to figure that out, too, if we want to prove Mrs. Morden's innocence."
He sat down after the table was set and waited. When Jessica was ready, they would have their dinner.

Jessica nodded and served up two plates of cheesy chicken and rice, it was a bit like a casserole only with rice, chicken, cheese, cream of chicken soup, and a bit of salt. She sat down after handing him his plate and nodded at his words. "That's true. It is kind of confusing."

Scott nodded.
"We'll look into it."
When she set the food down for him, he smiled.
"This looks really good."
Picking up a fork, he took a bite of it.
"This is really good."

As they ate, Scott talked with Jessica about the case and other, smaller matters. Sometime this month, they were going to make plans to visit with Jessica's father and his parents. His mother had already been teasing him about grandchildren, but that was something that he and Jessica weren't quite ready for. He wanted to wait at least until Jessica had completed her Armor of Grace, so that she would be fully protected in battle. Scott wanted to have children at some point, but he didn't feel it was time just yet.
"First thing tomorrow, I'll run a check on the Morden's bank account and see if there was suspicious activity involved in any way."

Jessica smiled as he said her food was good. "I'm glad, this is one of my biggest comfort foods." She said with a chuckle then put her input in about the smaller matters then nodded at his words about the check on the Morden's account and said. "Makes sense." She then finished her food and got up to go do the dishes.

Scott finished his meal and got up to help Jessica do the dishes. With their teamwork, that task was soon done and they were free to wind down for the night. Scott put his arm around Jessica's waist and walked with her into the living room. They sat down on the couch and he turned on the TV. They found a show they both liked and settled in to watch. It was times like this, with his wife snuggled into his side in the comfort of his own home, that Scott felt at his happiest.

Jessica smiled softly and thanked Scott for his help as they did the dishes before sighing in comfort and curling up on the couch, leaning against Scott's strong chest and smiling contentedly. She always loved simple moments like this, the peacefulness of the quiet and the security of Scott's arms. Even if she did grow as strong as him and as able to defend herself, she never grew weary of his strong arms around her, protecting her from harm.

The two spent a blissful couple hours just enjoying each other's company and their TV shows. Once it got late, Scott turned off the TV and the two headed to bed. Once in bed, Scott snuggled Jessica close to him and kissed her cheek.
"Good night, my love."
The next morning, Scott got up and had a shower and shave before Jessica did her thing. In the kitchen, he started making some bacon and eggs for breakfast while sipping on a glass of orange juice.

When Jessica came in, the two shared breakfast together. When they were finished eating, they got into his vehicle and headed for work. After arriving at the office, Scott sat down and used special PI software to legally take a look at the Morden's bank records. They were missing $1200 from their savings account, but it looked like a legal withdrawal, which explained why the bank never contacted Mr. Morden about suspicious activity on his account. It was easy to see why he was suspicious, but unless Mrs. Morden was hiding something, someone had illegally withdrawn that money. Picking up his office phone, he called his client to investigate a hunch.

Jessica smiled softly as she snuggled into Scott's arms and sighed happily at the kiss. "Good night..." She murmured and quickly slipped off into a peaceful sleep. Jessica got up the next morning and took her shower, got dressed, and did her hair before heading downstairs and thanking him for breakfast, eating contentedly. She then got in the car with him and went to the office. Working on sorting some new cases and taking phone calls while Scott did his special PI stuff.

His client picked up on the third ring.
"Hello?"
"Mr. Morden, this is Scott. I'm calling to investigate what might be suspicious activity in your bank account."
"Yes, $1200 was withdrawn from our joint account and I wasn't the one who did it. You know that I suspect my wife did it."

"I have a hunch that your wife wasn't behind that. Would you ask her if she still has her bank card?"
"You don't think--"
"I have to be certain. Please ask your wife for me."
"Okay, I'll be right back."

About ten minutes later, Mr. Morden returned to the phone, astonishment in his voice.
"My wife's bank card is missing! She says she has no idea when she lost it."
"That would explain the $1200 withdrawal. Someone stole money out of your account, and you believed your wife did it."
"It seems that I was wrong not to trust her."

Scott smiled, thinking how Grace's intuition had been spot on.
"Well, the good thing is that it's never too late to start trusting her again."
"You're right, Mr. Young. Please get my money back."
"I will do everything I possibly can."
Scott hung up and watched for activity on the bank card using his PI software, hopeful that the thief would try again so that he could catch them.

Jessica looked back as she heard Scott's half of the conversation with Mr. Morden and smiled a bit at what she heard. She continued working silently until lunch then stood up. "I'm going to go pick up a sandwich from the cafe. Would you like anything?"

Scott looked up from his computer, so absorbed in his work that he had forgotten everything else.
"Yeah, pick me up a sandwich too, please. I'm starved."
He leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes, hoping soon that he would catch the thief in the act.

Jessica nodded and went down to the cafe, buying them each a chicken salad sandwich and a bag of chips, as well as a cup of coffee for each of them before heading back up to the office, walking in she set his sandwich, chips, and coffee on his desk while kissing his cheek. "Lunch time."

Scott smiled when Jessica came in and brought the food.
"Thanks, babe."
He unwrapped the chicken salad sandwich and took a bite, thinking it was delicious. He opened the bag of chips and had a few. At times he would sip his coffee, feeling himself perk up some. When he was finished with everything, he threw them away and felt thoroughly refreshed and ready to get back to work.

Scott had resumed his work when he saw a notice that there was a purchase at a Wal-Mart in town. Someone was making a fraudulent purchase, and he now had just the means to find them.
"Jessica, we have to go!"
He got up and took the elevator down with her until they got in his vehicle. He drove to the Wal-Mart and watched as a man pushed a cart out with a huge new HDTV in it. Looking at the amount of the purchase, he knew this was their guy.

"That's the guy who stole Mrs. Morden's bank card. I'll stop him from leaving, and you call the police."
Scott got out and approached the man, who was opening his trunk to put the TV in.
"Sir, I'm placing you under citizen's arrest for theft."
The man turned pale but didn't try to run. About five minutes later, the police arrived and arrested him while Scott returned the TV to the store and explained that it was a fraudulent purchase and to refund the money.

Scott was on the phone later with his client, and explained that the police would return his wife's bank card once it was processed through evidence. A thankful Mr. Morden was thrilled that his wife had been innocent and that their lives could proceed as normal. Scott hung up the phone and moved this case to his 'Solved Folder'. He put his arm around Jessica and pulled her into his lap at his desk, smiling up at her.
"I'm glad Grace was right. We proved a woman innocent and saved a family from heartbreak."

Jessica looked up, startled by his sudden outburst but nodded and quickly grabbed her purse before hurrying out the door with him. She rode with him to the walmart then nodded at his words. She called 911 as he made his way over to the man and was glad he didn't put up a fight.

Later Jessica blinked in surprise and smiled at him as he pulled her into his lap and nodded at his words about Grace. "Me too." She replied and kissed his cheek. "How about we go out to dinner tonight to celebrate?"

Scott smiled at her dinner invitation.
"That sounds great."
He powered down his computer and got up, putting his arm around Jessica as he walked to the elevator. They went downstairs and then got into his vehicle. After starting the car, Scott turned to Jessica.
"So, where would you like to eat?"

Scott nodded.
"That sounds good to me."
Putting the car in gear, he drove out of the parking garage and over to Oran Street before parking at the Chinese restaurant. They went inside and were seated before they gave their drink order. Scott picked up the menu and looked over it.
"What are you thinking of having?"

Jessica let out a "Hm..." As she looked over the menu. "Well, I always have to get a side order of teriyaki beef. But... I think I'll have the d.4 for my meal." The D.4 meal came with orange chicken, crab rangoons, and pork fried rice.

Scott nodded.
"That sounds good. I think I'll have that, too."
They placed their orders and Scott took a sip of his Pepsi. He looked at Jessica, his eyes filled with loving admiration.
"I truly am the luckiest man in the world to have you."

Scott gently reached out and took her hands, giving them a gentle squeeze. He had never imagined so many years ago when he first got Valor that he would ever be living a peaceful life with a woman he loved, but now he was. He really could not have been happier with his life right now. Scott released her hands as their orders were brought. He took a bite of the orange chicken and thought it was really good.
"It was a good idea to have what you're having."

Back
Top Bottom