Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Playing the Game [ Chai & Razgriz ]

RE: Playing the Game [ Ariamella & Razgriz ]

Keenan could tell that the man had completely missed Stella's sarcasm; then again, could a drunk do anything less? This man was delusional, at least that was how it seemed to other people. He was right, on everything about him. That 'whore' was in fact his target, another Dreg that was trying to spill the beans on who Keenan actually was. Punching her in the chest had been his way of delivering a curse that made her death look like she died of a heart attack, made easier by the fact that she'd been crawling all over him that night and it only looked like she'd finally gotten on his nerves.

"I thought I took care of all the witnesses after that night...Seems like I missed one. No matter, he'll be dead soon." the bodyguard thought to himself. "Like I said, I think you have me confused with someone else, sir." he then replied calmly, giving the man a blank look. "Ah, soorr...GuessIbin *huc* hittin' the sauce too her...Mabe Ri was righ...Need to quit 'foreIkillmesel...Anywhooooooooo, sorreh fer botherin' ye...Youtwo enjoy yourselves...Andyooooooooooooooooooooooou...." The man finally finished, standing shakily and nearly falling over himself before pointin his bottle-clenching fist at Keenan. "Protect 'er, ye hear? Else Imma haun ye ferm de graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave, hehehe *huc*"

And just like that, the strange event came to a close as the man stumbled off; to who knows where, one could only guess. "Well then...That was interesting. Guess there are all kinds of magi out here, aren't there?" Keenan joked, laying back on the towel. "Ah well, least he was a happy drunk. Made it interesting though...Where the hell he got 'Moonlight Sparrow' from, I can only guess." The sun continued to beat down on them, the barrier letting the gentle warmth through but never their skin getting even the lightest shade of red.

But eventually, Keenan got tired of lying around and stood up with a slight groan, "Hey, I'm gonna hit the water for a bit. You want to join? Race you there!" The man then took off like a bullet, his impressive physique showing off as he strode through the soft sand and his body diving into the salty brine. "Ah, much better" he breathed; he knew not to stay in here for TOO long, else he'd come out looking like a piece of old leather.

"HELP!"

That was the next thing he heard; his head snapped to look to his left and saw someone with their arms flailing and getting pulled under. People were already screaming, one of the victim's friends trying to go help, but others holding him back for the excellent reason that he would get pulled under too. They were caught in an undertow, a very powerful undercurrent that for most was virtually inescapable. "Shit..." Keenan muttered; still, this DID present a golden opportunity. Even though what he was about to do was horribly reckless and the nearest guardhouse was too far away.

Keenan himself began to swim, and unlike the sap who was going under, swam out and parallel. He heard the shouts to come back, the idiots unaware that a level head and common sense were usually enough to get oneself out of most trouble. Soon enough, he reached the point where the person was and after not seeing them above water, dove; a few tense seconds went by, and Keenan still was nowhere to be found. And then he reemerged, swimming backwards with his left arm as he carried someone in his right. Having escaped the current he slowly brought the person back to shore, where two lifeguards were now on the scene and swimming out towards Keenan, who then alleviated him of his apparently unconscious charge.

The bodyguard of Stella then came into the shallows, standing hunched over with his hands on his knees and breathing roughly; that undertow was strong, that much was certain. "There's signs...*pugh*...for a reason...*phew* people" he huffed, standing back up as he heard people cheering for him. And even more so as the lifeguards successfully resuscitated what turned out to be a young but curvy blonde woman in a tiny red bikini, her skin a healthy bronze. Moments later an ambulance came to check her out, leaving Keenan alone since he was clearly mobile and only tired from the exertion.

Jacksonville, FL
Early December

"So are you always this much of a show-off, or do you just save lives all the time?" Stella teased her bodyguard, walking from the spot where she had watched him swim out to the blonde young woman. Her olive skin shone glistened with ocean water, though the droplets were quickly evaporating under the hot sun. She reached up to release her hair from its bind, shaking out the somewhat damp locks and letting them fall across her shoulders and back. Them smiling down at him, she said, "But no really, that was awesome. You know, you actually had me worried for a second! You crazy person..."

She trailed off, her eyes looking up to see a group of (what she assumed to be) college students running toward the shore. They were friends of the blonde girl, she realized, and she gently squeezed Keenan's arm—which, in fact, definitely felt as good as it looked—to let him know others were approaching.

"Hey," Stella said kindly to the guy who stepped forward, shivering lightly as a slight breeze blew against her wet skin.

"Hey," the man responded, running a hand through his curly black hair and letting a silent moment pass before he finally asked, "Your friend okay? That was some real crazy shit. Much respect." But without letting Stella reply, he turned to Keenan and said, "Listen man, I just want to thank you for what you did earlier. I seriously thought I was gonna lose my girl back there, and, well, I'm just really glad she's alive and safe right now. I'd say take care of yours too—" he nodded at Stella— "but something tells me you already do."

His friends behind him murmured and nodded their agreement, expressing their thanks and gratefulness before the group left, leaving the two mages alone once more.

"Told you," Stella softly giggled, ignoring the man's incorrect assumption and just laughing. "Even they thought you were totally crazy for doing that! But's one of the things that make you so great... Now, weren't we supposed to be relaxing?" She smirked at him, flicking her wrist so that a little splash of water rose and hit her bodyguard in the chest. "Oops," she said, the smirk growing into a full grin as she stepped back and let her body sink into the ocean once more.

blog-divider.png

Two Days Later

"Oh god."

Stella was laughing freely and loudly, clutching Keenan's wrist and stumbling just a little bit as the two of them exited the Space Mountain ride. She hated heights, but she had always loved the rush of thrill rides, loved the feeling of the drop in her stomach and the wind in her face. It was freeing somehow, even though it made her dizzy at times. It was a good kind of dizzy, though, one that always put her in a fun mood. Keenan had been right; Disney World was the kind of thing she needed in her life.

"I can't do any more of these right now," she said, still giggling as they walked out into the crowd at Magic Kingdom. It was early December, not a peak time at all for the parks, but the place was still moderately packed. But then again, with how famous the place was, how could it not be busy at any time of the year? Still though, she appreciated that there was room to walk at the pace she wanted to, rather than being pushed around by the hoards of people that were usually there during the summer season.

And so the two of them walked, just talking and visiting small food stands to get snacks. Soon enough, they were out of Tomorrowland and approaching the large castle at the front of the park. Cinderella's Castle was mainly an attraction for the smaller children, but Stella stopped and stood to the side for a moment to admire the large creation. In the center of the giant circular pavement, parents were taking their children to meet various Disney characters; princesses for the girls, and Donald Duck, Goofy and Pluto for the boys.

"I wanna be just like you!"

"When I grow up, I want to be a princess too!"

"Huh, I want to be a princess too," Stella mused out loud in reply to the little girls, not really to Keenan but just to say the words. It was fairly obvious that she was joking, but there was still a trace of envy in her voice. "At least, that kind of princess. Real princesses do actual work, apparently. Where's my fairy tale? They're missing the story about Princess Ellastaria. Maybe I even wanted a movie too!"

She started walking again, about to pass the long line of guests awaiting their photo-op, when she heard a voice call out to her from afar.

"Hey, you, you there! You look like you could use some memories to take home from Disney World! How 'bout it?"

"I'm surprised you're able to walk; my legs feel like Jell-O right now" Keenan replied playfully, sauntering after Stella as they made their way through the park. To be expected, there were plenty of children around; though this time of year, it seemed like most of them were still in school and the park was not nearly as packed as it was at the peak. At the very least, they had shoulder room and weren't stuck in giant crowds for the most of the time. The food around here was naturally overpriced to all hell, but some of it wasn't too bad; and true to their encounter with the Love-Talker, he was soon carrying around a huge cone of cotton candy.

And then came the princesses. Oh the irony was so think one could cut it with a knife. He just laughed at her little joke, replying somewhat teasingly "Well, hey now, if you do become Queen it'll be quite a sight. Though who could possibly play your old bodyguard? Gotta have that chapter in: You know, the one where the dashing rogue saves the beautiful princess from the dirty lecher. And even though I'm not TOO sure how the Mark works, you could very well be the youngest queen in history to be chosen to take the throne."

Then came the offer for pictures, the photographer a lanky man with wild red hair, dressed in a black polo shirt emblazoned with the Mickey Mouse sign and tan khakis. "Ah, why not? Come on Stella, be a cool pic to show to your family...And I'm sure your mother would love a souvenir like that." And just like that, the two of them were together, Keenan's hand safely on her opposite shoulder as if she were a very close friend. "All right, you two...One, two, three...MICKEY!" The camera didn't flash since there was enough ambient light where they were at, Keenan giving a rather dazzling smile as the man readied to take another picture.

"Hyuh-hyuh, hey there, you two. Mind if I cut in?" said a dopey-sounding voice.

Standing behind was none other than Goofy, or at least a tall person wearing a Goofy costume. The long foam muzzle was nearly in Keenan's face; great, just what they needed. "Eh, sure? Why not have one with a Disney classic?" Keenan replied, to which the photographer asked "So, you guys want him in?" But before anyone could say anything, Goofy then said, "Well hello there, little lady. Say, you could just be perfect for a Princess you know that? 'Course....THESE could use a little padding" The canine's gloved hands went for Stella's chest, to which Keenan grabbed his arm and replied, "There's two ways this can go, pal....Neither of which are pretty. Now get lost."

At this Goofy recoiled and pretended to be offended, hands on his hips as he turned to face Keenan "Hey now, I wasn't trying to be mean or nuthin'...Just commenting about some improvements that can be made!" Keenan tilted his head, "Look, I don't know what your game is, but I said get lost. We'll be talking to your mana...."

That was all that was said before Keenan felt himself tackled, the cosplayer of Donald Duck having trucked him from the side. "Ooof...." Keenan exhaled loudly, trying to defend himself from this crazed lunatic who was now talking in loud squawks much like the character itself was now beating on him. And then the costumed Pluto tackled Stella and started immediately moving his hips, making it look like he was raping her thigh.

"Mommy! What're they doing!?"

"Goofy, stop!"

"Donald, please!"

"Mommy, Pluto's doing that thing Sparky does to Dad!"

The sad shouts of children soon echoed throughout the area they were in, parents ushering their now-crying children away and some even going off to call for security. "Alright little girl, you'rea comin' with me now" Goofy then stated as he pulled Stella out from under Pluto's assault and threw her over his shoulder, starting to run off with her with Pluto close in tow. At this Keenan muttered a small spell; seconds later, Donald Duck gave a loud drawn-out quack as he was sent flying through the air, landing on his back a few feet away.

Keenan heaved himself up and took off after Goofy and Pluto, some of the people screaming and running away as Stella was held in Goofy's iron grip. Moments later, Keenan found himself gaining on the pair as they were just leaving Fantasyland and heading towards Frontierland. A veritable maze of mini-games, food vendors and Western-styled attractions; Keenan knew he had to keep close, or else he'd lose them. The crowd scattered screaming as Pluto began punching and shoving people who were in the way, trying to create a panic and succeeding in a small degree. A few brave souls tried to help as Keenan shouted for them try and stop that dog, but soon wound up on the ground as they passed by the Rivers of America attraction, a boat passing by and the spectators on board getting quite a view from the otherwise-comical chase scene before them, some of them even pointing to others at what was going on.

Keenan was gaining, something Pluto recognized and soon stopped to try and stop the man, only to be served a hardened fist in the face; a move that unfortunately resulted in more tears of children as one of their favorite icons was knocked out cold. This wasn't a time for pleasantries though, something that was made even more evident as he saw Goofy reaching for something on his hip: It turned out to be a gun, a weapon that he then fired into the air and made the crowds wanting to get in to the attraction suddenly want out, making a very difficult current for Keenan to fight against. And then Goofy ran through the doors and out of sight.

"Open the door!" shouted Goofy, dopey voice gone, as the parkgoers that were once waiting for the iconic lightning and laughing sound effects had all but cleared the room, a park attendant doing such and running outside before the outside doors then closed. Goofy then threw Stella down on the ground before wrenching her up again and pulling her close, the gun barrel at her temple as the beginning of the trip into the Mansion commenced. "Do as I say and I won't have to use this: Now move it!" he then commanded her, pushing her roughly through the doors once they opened and leading them deeper inside.

Disney World, FL
Early December

"Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion. I am your host... Your ghost host. Our tour begins here in this gallery, here where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appear in their corruptible mortal state. Kindly step all the way in, please, and make room for everyone. There's no turning back, mwuahahaha..."

The words of the automated narrator started, and Stella felt the man in the Goofy costume push his fist against her back, forcing her more into the middle of the large, dimly lit space. She shivered; without the normal amount of people, the air conditioned room seemed colder than usual, but the chill reached deeper in her bones. It was the kind of cold that resulted in fear, the kind that kept her normally smart mouth shut for the time being. Instead, she focused on a single spot below one of the paintings, ignoring the now 'stretching' room and other visual effects, even when the room went dark and a loud screech could be heard.

"... Are you listening to me? I said walk!" The metal of the gun kissed her skin a little more closely, and it took the princess a moment to realize that the door on the opposite end of the room had opened, leading into what she assumed was the rest of the attraction. "Move, bitch, I won't say it again," Goofy said once more, his hand at her back again as he roughly pushed her forward. Then she felt his hand grip her shoulder firmly, leading her into the dark hallway.

It was darker than the entrance even, and immediately Stella's heart sunk. Her magic would be severely limited here, simply due to the lack of light. And while creating the light wasn't so much of a difficult task, manipulating it to serve as other functions would take much more energy. And the magic she knew that wasn't tied to her affinity was basic at best, nothing remotely powerful enough to incapacitate her kidnapper, or—in the worst case scenario—stop the bullet before it turned her brain into bits.

She turned her head to glance at the empty train of Doom Buggies that usually carried riders through the mansion, but the hand on her shoulder turned into an iron grip. "No no," Goofy muttered, shoving her past them and deeper into the mansion. "Walking, we're walking."

"I mean, does it really make a difference, though?" Stella asked in annoyance, "Either way, you've got the gun and I don't. Besides, isn't there more of a chance to run away if I'm walking?"

At this, the man in the costume paused, his grip moving from her shoulder to her neck and squeezing lightly. He pressed the barrel against the side of her head. "Damn right I've got the gun, and because I have the gun, you're gonna do what I tell you. And I say walk." Then his hand swooped down and smacked Stella's butt, the contact against her shorts audible even with the loud sound effects of the Mansion. "Now that has some nice padding. I bet you work that ass out, huh?"

Disgusted, the princess only took a step forward, the only sense of relief stemming from the fact that the man had now removed the gun, though his other hand returned to her shoulder.

"And don't think that just because it's not against that pretty little head of yours, that I won't still use it. So try and run, and we'll see what happens." He chuckled to himself, tapping the weapon against her back in warning. As if she really needed to be reminded.

And so they walked, passing several of what was supposed to be enjoyable illusions: eyes and skulls floating in the air, the head in the crystal ball, the ghostly bride... She was sure that if she hadn't been strung along some raging psycho, she would have actually enjoyed it. But no, he ruined the experience for her. Asshole.

"Faster," Goofy said after they had reached around the half way point. "Move it, I know you can move that ass faster than that. I'm not trying to spend all afternoon in here."

Keenan, meanwhile, had fought through the crowds of screaming people and had almost made to the entrance, before long the doors slamming shut just as he had ran up to it. "Fuck!" he shouted; and the fact there were no attendants around to open it again, seeing as they all fled. Not that he blamed them, but it made rescuing Stella that much more of a challenge. Then again, there was really no one at all...And the boat from the American Rivers attraction seemed to be out of sight as well. He had no choice regardless, but no spectators would at least let him take the most direct route; his hands splayed against the heavy panels, magic radiating through his body as he then muttered a spell he'd learned from a Japanese earth mage:

"Shinra Tensei"

The iron in his body briefly switched polarity and his magicka amplified the burst of energy into a rather impressive blast, the doors being wrenched off the hinges and colliding with the opposite wall; running in, he was grateful to see that the door was open on the other side, himself taking off to try and get to Stella.

Meanwhile, Goofy had heard the loud burst and stopped for a moment, his head turning to look back for a second. "That damn guard of yours is persistent, I'll give him that...But I've still got this, and you've got nowhere to run, princess" the man then growled while not really knowing who she was, thinking she was just some pretty little daddy's girl with too much money. He kept pushing her along through the halls until they got to the cart rides, the automated narrator still going off about how the spirits of the deceased retired here; now he needed a new strategy. Of course, there was always the emergency exit; though that would just give away where he was going. Then again....That could work to his advantage. "Make a sound, girlie, and your brains will be part of the new decorations." Goofy commanded, dragging her to one of the emergency exits and using his giant cloth foot to kick the door open.

The sirens immediately started to blare, the light above flashing like a strobe in a dance club. "Now let's go; bet your bodyguard'll fall for this like a fool, and then you're all mine." the dog-costumed man laughed, grabbing her shoulder roughly and moving her onto the ride. Instead of getting into the car, however, he just led her along the conveyor belt.

"The spirits will only appear if you are safely seated, and keep your, arms and legs inside at all times. And watch your children please." the narrator continued, Goofy chuckling as they rode on the conveyor belt, "She ain't my kid, but you bet your ass I'm keeping a real good eye on her." He then looked down, his cartoonish face still holding that stupid smile as he added, "Bossman's gonna be real happy when he sees you, girlie. I don't know what's so special about you; my guess is you got a real powerful father...Someone of authority that looks down on guys like me. Well, if he's any father worth talking about...wonder how much he'll pay to get his daughter back, haha."

Keenan meanwhile was trying to make his way along the path; before long, he heard an alarm screaming. "Emergency exit..." he thought to himself, starting to go towards it; wait, that would have meant the security officers would have been alerted to it as well.

"Fucking decoy..." he muttered, turning back and going towards the path to the carts. But when he arrived there was no one there; damn it all, where they riding in one? No, that would make him too easy to catch; he had to be riding on the track itself. That would allow him any chance to hop off and hide. And so he would do the same, working his magic so that his feet would stay firmly attached to the belt at all times, even as he would take steps to try and gain ground on them. "Stella? Stella!" he shouted, trying to listen for anything that would give them away.

Goofy continued to move Stella along, soon arriving to the part of the ride where there was a dining hall and a ball room, the animated spirits playing and moving in tune to the record in the speakers. Then he heard the man's voice, a loud curse leaving him as he then looked around. "This is our stop" he grunted, grabbing her arm and forcing her along a back pathway that led downstairs to the table and dancing ghosts. What some people didn't know was that there was an employee and technician entrance below so that the workers could come fix the projectors if something wasn't working right.

Keenan too had hurried his ass off, trying to find her before he just managed to force them down the steps. "Stop!" the bodyguard shouted, ducking as Goofy pointed his gun and fired at Keenan, the loud reports echoing in the empty hall before he disappeared through a side entrance. Keenan then jumped over the saftey railing, landing with a hard 'Umph' before he chased after them, muttereing "Emetior" just as he hit the wall, his body seeming to pass right through it as he saw Goofy run down the opposite way.

Keenan then gave chase, soon enough the mage shouting "Sero!" before the costumed man could reach the door; and right as he tried to push himself and Stella out, he rebounded a little and managed to catch his footing, quickly turning to face the bodyguard with the gun at Stella's temple, the two now in a deadlock with each other. "So...Finally caught up to us, huh? You're pretty good...But you make a move and this bitch's brain eats a good dose of hot lead." Goofy challenged, pressing the cold steel harder against her.

"I have about twenty different ways I can stop this, you know...Hand her over now, and you'll be let off easy." Keenan shot back, his fists clenching. True, he could stop him in many manners...But he needed to get that gun off first, else a misfire might hit her. "Why? When I can just walk out of here after I get this door unlocked...Damn Timothy must have forgotten to unbolt it." the cosplayer muttered, Keenan replying, "No, I told the remaining attendants to find every exit possible and block it, once they informed that everyone else left the ride." Keenan then looked at Stella, doing his best to give her confidence in him, "Don't worry, I'll get you out of this. Just stay calm alright?"

Disney World, FL
Early December

"Will he really? Is your boyfriend going to get you out of this one, hm?"

Stella could practically hear the sneer in the mans voice, wincing and tilting her head as the pressure of the gun against her head spiked. He wrapped his fingers around her neck, the gloves now long gone, and squeezed threateningly. "Or maybe he's wrong and I'm gonna blow some shit into your skull just because? ... But I don't think the boss will like that." He laughed menacingly, moving Stella one step to the side.

"Ah, ah, ah," he started, shaking his masked face at Keenan. "No moves, or you know what happens... But why don't we make sure he knows?" His hand tightened around the princess's neck, his fingers making indents in the soft flesh. "Tell him to stay like a good boy, and nobody gets hurt."

Silence.

"Say it."

Another quiet moment passed, shorter this time, and Goofy's voice rang out over the cacophony of music and ghoulish sounds. "SAY IT, BITCH, UNLESS YOU WANT ME TO UNLOAD THIS SHIT IN THREE SECONDS."

Then came Stella's obviously unwilling voice: "... Stay."

"Again. Say it again." He took another rough step to the side, Stella nearly losing her footing as he dragged her along.

"Stay," she said, the words coming out pretty much inaudible, though her captor seemed satisfied.

"Good. Now here's what's gonna happen," Goofy muttered, directing his attention to Keenan. "However the hell you got in here, that's how you're gonna get us out. See that door? You're going to—" He paused abruptly, flashing his gaze upwards as a strange buzzing noise filled the room. It grew in intensity until one of the light fixtures up above went out, the bright flash accompanied by a cracking noise, leaving the three of them in slightly dimmer lighting. "... As I was saying," he continued, "open the door and—what the fuck?!" Goofy paused again, another one of the lights going out the same way as the first, bathing them further into darkness.

And then a third light began to glow, a yellowish hue growing until it seemed all too bright. The man in costume was now glued to this strange phenomenon, wondering somehow when the Haunted Mansion became real. "... The fuck..." he managed to say before the bulbs exploded, and rising in the air was an ethereal bird, almost like a Phoenix in it's appearance and size, its body covered in a curious champagne glow. A glow that was something like a signature to Stella's magic, evident as her eyes were watching her creation, lips moving in quiet whispers and spells. Then the Phoenix's red eyes seemed to lock onto Goofy, the bird twisting mid-flight to dive into the costume.

"THE HELL IS THAT THING?" He yelled, deafening gunshots popping next to Stella's ear as he attempted—and failed—to take down the strange bird.

"Jacto!" Keenan then commanded, taking the opportunity to rid the man of the gun. The weapon flew out of his hand, thrown away and hitting a wall with a sharp 'thud' before landing on the floor.

Twisting out of Goofy's singular grasp, Stella uttered, "Nox," sending everything into near pitch black darkness. Keenan was only a few steps away, an easy goal if there ever was one, and in a few seconds she would be safe just like he promised. "Go!" she hissed, reaching out and feeling her fingers graze his shirt sleeve. Safe, at last.

Or not so safe, as she felt a strong grip twist into her hair.

"Not so fast, girlie," Goofy sneered, giving a harsh tug onto the fistful of her brunette locks, sending her crashing backwards into him. She could feel hot breath on her neck, probably a sign that he had taken the silly mask off. He began dragging her across the room, grunting and giving the occasional sharp pull against her scalp. "I ain't done with you yet. And since you pulled that little escape attempt, we're doing things my way. I been through this building a thousand times and more; has your boyfriend? It doesn't matter, I'll lose him anyway." And then he roughly tore at her hair, a small cry ripping from Stella's throat as tears welled up and stung her eyes.

"You shut that mouth of yours," the man growled, pulling her to the side of the room.

"Or fucking what? Where's your gun?" The princess fired back, immediately regretting the spike in attitude. He wasn't Ric. He would hurt her given the chance. And she was right about the latter assumption, her small body being swung around so that it hit the wall. His body weight was pushed against her, and two large hands enclosed around her slender neck, wrapping around it easily and pressing down. Hard.

"No gun, but you can still die, bitch. Boss's second orders, if things didn't go as planned... and I would say this is definitely a plan B kind of moment."

Keenan could only stand there, calculating, waiting for the man to make a mistake. His finger was held too tightly on the trigger; he'd done this before. This way, if he died, the hostage would go with him. "You rotten shit..." he muttered, eyes never leaving the costumed killer. And Goofy's next words only confirmed what was actually going on. Damn it all, this wasn't how this was supposed to go! What the hell was the Boss thinking?! If she really did die, then their whole plan went down the shit.

However, there seemed to be a ray of hope; Keenan's gaze caught Stella quietly weaving verbal spells...And based on what he could see, it was going to cause an overload in the nearby circuitry and make some of the lights pop. And that it did, the bulbs bursting; though he certainly hadn't expected the appearance of a Phoneix. "When the hell did you learn to do that?" her bodyguard exclaimed, genuine surprise in his voice and eyes wide in shock.

Still, it seemed to serve its purpose, and Keenan was soon able to make the gun fly out of the man's hand, before long Stella's own spell made the entire room go into darkness. A delicate hand brushed his shirt sleeve and he tried to grab for her, missing only by inches as she was taken back...and now he couldn't see a damn thing. "Fuck!" he shouted, listened as Goofy basically said he was going to kill her now. Not on his watch as he had a few tricks up his sleeve.

"Posside attributum: Tigris oculos!"

The man's eyes then turned a bright gold, the transmutation spell giving him quite literally the eyes of a tiger. Which meant being able to see even in complete darkness. The cracks of light coming from the doorway served him more than well enough, even as Goofy shouted, "I don't care how much gibberish you two speak, it's not going to save her!"

He would then freeze up as he felt a hand grab his felt-covered shoulder, a voice filled with chilling rage replying "That's where you're wrong, asshole." The once-lovable dog character then felt a hard fist punch him in the kidney, a howl of agony leaving his lips as his grip left Stella before he felt himself slammed against a slab of metal. The exit, he thought to himself, before two hands could be felt on his chest. And then something spectacular would happen.

"SHINRA TENSEI!"

All Goofy would feel was an enormous pressure that crushed his chest, something akin to an explosion happening right in front of his face as his body got thrown out through the door, the slab of metal and even part of the surrounding wall blasting apart to let the afternoon glow flood into the previously pitch-dark room, the dog being catapulted for quite the distance as he slid on the dented slab that was the door, sparks leaving in his wake and stopping just as he hit the railing for the Rivers of America attraction. A spectacle that happened to be caught just as the boat was coming back around, allowing all aboard to see.

Keenan's glowering golden eyes focused on the man for a second, fists clenched as the adrenaline came down; though he imagined it was nowhere close to how Stella felt. Needless to say, he and Boss were going to have a talk; this had his authority written all over it. "Irritum facio" he then muttered in one final breath, the transmutation falling away to leave his eyes their natural warm color. Even as police finally started to swarm the area, he didn't move, instead wanting to be sure He then turned and walked toward Stella, a look of shame in his eyes. Bruises were already forming on her neck, a gentle hand coming up to touch them; even if she was safe, this could have turned out horribly. He then looked away from her, as if ashamed of his inability to stop the attack, "Sorry...I screwed up there, didn't I? You shouldn't have had to go through that...If you're wanting a new bodyguard after we get out of here, I won't blame you."

Disney World, FL
Early December

The sudden onslaught of natural light made it hard for her to think, though Stella was grateful that she wasn't in the dark anymore. Still in shock, she had pressed herself against the wall, squinting against the brightness, her body frozen from what had just transpired. Then a soft touch was at her throat, making her cringe at the tender flesh until she realized the touch belonged to her bodyguard. Keenan was there, and she suddenly felt like she was going to cry. Tugging him closer to her, as close as being friends would allow, she let herself fall face-first into him. A shaky breath wracked her body, a few silent tears falling as she mumbled incoherently into his chest. Something about light, something about no magic, something about darkness, and something him saving her. A silent moment passed, and she pulled away and took a small step back.

"A new bodyguard? Why would I want a new one? Sure I have this—" she gestured to the marks on her neck— "but you also got me out of there like you said you would. I believed you when you said you would. Besides... my bit of magic wasn't completely necessary. I did mean to create the distraction, though the Phoenix may have been a bit much, honestly, but I didn't think turning the lights out would be such a bad idea..." Her violet eyes swam with wetness, and she whispered, "I just wanted to get away from him."

But before anymore tears came down, Stella dabbed the back of her hand against her eyes, laughing a bit at how ridiculous everything seemed to be. This trip was supposed to be for relaxation, but instead of the that, she had somehow earned a visit from fairies and a near death sentence as Disney World. She gently brought her hair to one side, grateful that the dull throbbing was finally fading from when the man in the Goofy costume decided to drag her around like a doll.

"Sorry... I probably look like a mess right now, haha. And I think this goes without saying, but I think I'm done for the day... Isn't this supposed to the happiest place on Earth or something? Disney needs to step it up!" The joke was weak, only emphasized by how exhausted and hoarse her voice was, but at least she seemed to be quickly returning to her usual self. "I kind of just want to chill, eat pizza and lay down. Actually relax. I mean, if you're okay with that, of course." Stella smiled up at Keenan, the warmth of her gaze contrasted by the rude-looking mascara streaks around her eyes.

"Sir? Er, and ma'am," a police officer poked his head through the gaping hole, his eyes following the broken edges, eyebrows raised as if impressed by the strength of the blast needed to blow the door clean away. "Just as a confirmation, we want to ensure that this is a matter left for, er, magical affairs, correct? That's what we seem to gather from that guy over there, what little we can understand. He seems to be under some sort of compulsory power..."

"Not us," Stella said, shaking her head. "Whoever it is probably isn't in the immediate area either. It'd be best to contact Magi Law Enforcement... Although there's no doubt in my mind that they've been tipped off already."

"As we thought," the officer said, nodding blankly. Stella suspected that this was one of the few times, or perhaps even the only time that magical crime happened at Disney World, and she couldn't blame him for looking a little lost. "Well... if you two are okay..." The policeman shrugged and stepped back out of the hole in the wall, making the princess giggle.

"Have you noticed they treat us like we're a different species or something? Like we're not part of them. But, I guess, in a way we're not really part of the Normals' world at all, are we?" She pulled him inside the shadows the building, hidden from view, holding both his hands with her own. "Hm... I don't really do magic in open places, but I think I'll make an exception. I'm sure you want to get out of here too, yeah? Ite domum," she voiced aloud then, the spell aiming for her home in Colorado. Locking gaze with Keenan's golden eyes, she gave him a dazzling smile before the spell took them, leaving the Mansion in silence.

Keenan held his arms up, shoulders shrugged high as Stella fell onto him, tears leaking onto his shirt as he tried to think of the best move to make. He settled for a gentle embrace, a hand gently patting her back as if to say "It's over now". He could hear shouting outside, no doubt that the officers had heard from the witnesses that it was three Disney characters that had taken a young woman against her will. The other two were already in custody, lifeguards having pulled out a waterlooged and very confused Pluto cosplayer, Donald having already had his wings clipped.

"No need to apologize, Stella...Though I do think we should definitely call it though. So much for a relaxing road trip, huh?" he then joked, trying to help lighten the mood as he stared at her with his gold-flecked hazel eyes. "Pizza and a movie at home sound good; who'd have thought we need a vacation from vacationing? It's like this world's got turned upside down or something."

He decided to let Stella handle the short conversation with the police, seeing as she was the one who was kidnapped. Though he didn't miss officer looking at the destroyed doorway; true, probably went a little overboard there, but he was mad on multiple levels. Boss didn't tell him anything of this plan, but the initial contact with Goofy was definitely a confirmed detail. The full on kidnapping, not to mention getting shot at, was not discussed beforehand in the slightest. Innocent people could have gotten hurt, and this mission was just supposed to be about avenging their families' fates from the Council's own hands....Or at least that was why Keenan signed on.

And before long, Keenan and Stella returned to the threshold of her home in Colorado; it would have taken too long to drive. And they could always recover her car later. "Home sweet home" he teased, leading the way inside the cozy mountain retreat. "Man, I do not envy the MLA right now. They will have quite the task; the Memory Replacement Team will be busy 24/7 for the next few days, not to mention the Damage Reversal Unit and Psionic Tracer Squads. No way this won't hit the morning news before it all gets fixed though"

Brushing a hand through his hair, he then mused, "If that man really was under someone's thumb...Just, why Disney of all places? Was someone wronged there as a kid or something?" He then let out a sigh and walked over to the couch, sitting down with a rather heavy 'thud' "What a day; I honestly don't want to think about it. We'll both have to explain what happened when the Agents come looking for the investigation...They're probably going to ask about Texas too." He then used a non-verbal spell and zipped the phone over to his hand, "Stella...Why don't you go wash up and I'll order us some chow? You look like you could use a long hot shower." He then shot her a confident grin, "And don't worry, I'll be right here."
ELSEWHERE

"MY GOD, HE DID IT AGAIN!" A strange man shouted, stomping his foot and leaving a rather impressive dent in the floor. "Mate...I'd really appreciate if you didn't stomp your half-ton slogs all over my nice new mahogany floor. Didn't come cheap you know. So if you'd kindly calm down, that would be lovely." then replied another man in a plush chair, tipping back a nice glass of Shiraz. "Splendid....Just like she'll be." he then commented, his eyes locked onto the glass before him

"HOW CAN YOU BRUSH THIS OFF LIKE NOTHING! THAT'S TWICE NOW WE HAD HER!" the first man, large fists clenching in growing anger. "Don't be a such a joey, will ya? Think about it this way: Melchior just saved the lass from two serious threats. Surviving the Gan Ceanach is one thing, dodging a bullet - in this case quite literally - is another. Right now, she's got stars in her eyes and he's her knight in shining armor."

The heavy man then seemed to calm down, grunting "Why do this though! She'd still think of him a hero if we took her now!" The man in the plush chair laughed again, "You're still not getting it, are you? Do you realize how much she trusts him now? He'd walk off a cliff and she'd gladly follow him over at this point. Which mean ol' Melchior just needs to lead her back to us...Besides, I personally think it's fun to watch him work. I haven't seem use this kind of spellweaving in a long time. And it's good practice for him, whether he chooses to believe it or not."

The first man could only nod, "I get it...Still, won't he be upset you didn't tell him about the assault?" The second one just grinned, "Even if he is, there's nothing he can do about it. Those three were children of traitors anyhow; least this way, we killed two birds with one stone." He then poured another glass, "Now come on and join me...We need to see them talk to Nonso after all."

Colorado Springs, CO
Early December

"Ellastaria! Are you listening to me?" Soyeon's stern voice was coming through over the phone, making Stella roll her eyes.

"Mhmm, I know! I just didn't think it would be a big deal if we went to Disney. It was just a couple weeks that we were taking off, it wasn't supposed to be that serious." The princess was standing in the kitchen in an over-sized t-shirt that almost reached her knees, washed and dried and looking healthy despite the attack earlier that day. All evidence was gone save for the bruising, but even that would fade. And of course, if she wanted to speed up the process, magic was always an option.

"Next time, tell us where you're going. Your father and I nearly had a heart attack when word reached the Council, and the described victims were you and Keenan. I mean it, Stella! Your safety is of the utmost importance right now, especially since Adenji has been murdered. You're extremely lucky that Keenan is as skilled as he is."

The young woman flashed her eyes over to the open living room, where her bodyguard had an open box of pizza and was currently flipping through whatever was on TV. "I know, I am." Then she paused, wondering if it was a good idea to say what she wanted to say. "He seems to care a lot, unlike, you know... Anyway, he's a pretty cool guy. You guys made a good choice, I like him a lot."

"So... when you say you like him, does that mean you're... interested in him?" Soyeon's tone of voice transformed from anger to intense curiosity, with a hint of excitement as well.

Nope, Stella realized, it hadn't been a good idea to tell her that. "I'm tired, Mom, I'm gonna go—"

"But are you interested in him? Just how much do you like him, Stella? Are you—"

"I love you, Mom, bye!" Stella cut their conversation short, knowing if she didn't do it then, her mother would never stop. She loved her, but Soyeon had always been a nosy little thing. The thought made Stella laugh; perhaps that's where she had gotten it from.

Walking over to the living room, she sunk into the couch beside Keenan, tucking her legs underneath her and reaching across him to grab a napkin and a slice of pizza. She took a bite, raising her eyebrows at him. "So at what point did you learn that I like pepperoni and bacon?" She teased him after she swallowed, though she knew it was fairly obvious to figure out. It was the only pizza she ever ordered, and she knew she had eaten it at least once during the time Keenan had become her bodyguard.

"I spent the last 20 minutes on the phone with my mom," Stella continued, her attention divided between eating and the steady switching of channels, her lips quirking up as Keenan passed The Matrix, Pineapple Express, and Harry Potter. "My parents told me to tell you that you have their eternal gratitude. They're upset, of course, but with me rather than you, as parents usually are."

She paused, watching one of the ridiculous fight sequences of Kung Fu Hustle while also finishing up her slice and grabbing another. "I also asked about Ric. They still have nothing, and even though I don't particularly like him... I'd feel awful if he was executed for a crime he didn't commit. And I was thinking... I still want to get my hands on the Veritas potion. But I guess we'd have to wait until this whole kidnapping thing blows over before taking a trip to Nigeria. That is, if you're still okay with coming with me."

Keenan just snickered as Stella re-emerged from the kitchen area; it wasn't like he hadn't heard their entire conversation or anything. Still, he wasn't going to bring any of it up. It was the typical mother hen persona emerging, not that he would blame her. What happened (or nearly happened, depending on perspective) was certainly tragic and any good mother would be worried sick about the safety of her child.

"Do I now? Well, it wasn't anything; just fulfilling my duty as bodyguard" he said after a chunk of pizza; yes, he'd seen her order this pie before. But not onl that, she had a strange heaven-like expression each time she took a bite, leading Keenan to believe that this was a particular favorite of hers. And it seemed he was right on the money; truth be told, sometimes he wondered if he was too good at his profession. But then again, it was because he learned to notice the smaller things that got him where he was today.

"Well to be honest, I can't say as I wasn't there. I mean, I know how others have talked of him. Some good, but mostly extremely damning evidence. And if it was a plant, someone researched Ric's idiosyncrasies thoroughly. Down to the smallest detail." He then just smiled at her, "But do you honestly think some rumors - however true they may or may not be - are going to keep me from speakign with him? I'm as curious as you to find out who could have pulled this off. Because you're right, no one - not even someone like Wolfswift - should be executed for something that was't their doing."

But then he pulled Stella closer, letting her head lean on his strong shoulder, stating "But now...Let's see about...This movie" He then paused on upon reaching Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. A little grimdark, sure, but in this instance maybe a change of fantasy would help Stella outlive the trauma earlier this today. "Tolkien does quite the impressive work on fantasy for a Normal, doesn't he?" he then asked, having a good idea what her answer would be.

Later That Week

It was a trying time, the two of them having to be interviewed and questioned about the events in Texas and Florida. Needless to say, the MLA was very glad that Princess Ellastaria was all right, and Keenan was given massive recommendation for his service in the line of duty. Of course, he'd broken several statutes about the unauthorized use of magic, but thanks to his contract with Stella those were not even a consideration. And even if they were, they likely would have only given him a slap on the wrist.

When asking about the Gan Ceanach, the MLA agents told them that they only managed to capture the one named Edna; the other one seemed to have escaped. And as for any leads on who might have been controlling those Normals, they said that they had none yet but were continuing their investigation. Something that made Keenan smile on the inside; even if the assault wasn't planned, there was no way they were ever going to find the one who managed to snag those human's minds.

But now they had an appointment with Chukwunonso Chidume, now-Head of the House; since Stella would be the one ascending to the throne, he would not become King. Something he was perfectly okay with, seeing as he'd lost his father who was just that. And Keenan knew this was not going to be an easy conversation.

Soon enough, a small armed troupe escorted the duo into the highly secure Chidume Royal Palace: Minus the towering colossi of sand, it looked something straight of an African folk legend. The grounds were impressively kept despite the relative lack of plants; even still, the various cacti and desert flowers were arranged beautifully. And even still, it was hard not to see the grave of Adenji sitting directly next to the side of the house; after all, it was not uncommon for the dead in this region of the world to be buried next to or even under where they died.

Nigeria
Early December

The next few days had gone by uneventfully, save for the number of agents that stopped by the mountain home to ask Stella question after question. They asked even repeat questions, which she was was more than mildly annoyed with, but perhaps it was because they wanted to make sure she had her story straight. Or maybe that her story matched up with Keenan's. Or maybe they were just trying to get as many details out of her as possible, which was even more annoying to think about considering there was no real reason for her to withhold any information. She wanted answers just as the rest of them did. Although the one thing that did manage to keep her sane was Keenan, who seemed especially attentive. And while it wasn't strange, she did note it as unusual considering it wasn't technically part of his job. Or maybe he did consider it part of his job, which was both impressive and odd but welcome all the same. It sure was different and refreshing from having stoic, unresponsive guards that only watched from afar. Or conversely, guards like Ric who, while excellent at their job, were a pain to be around.

On the other hand, having been involved in a traumatic murder attempt did come with some nice things afterwards. The living and room and kitchen were soon flooded with get-well cards, flowers and gifts, though each one had to be inspected by Keenan before being brought to her. It seemed that for the time being, the Council's main priority was keeping Stella safe; the magical world had been sent through shock once with King Adenji's death, and another royal family member didn't need to follow any time soon. It was only through Keenan that she was even allowed to leave for Nigeria, under the circumstances that she would be teleported straight from her home to the Chidume Royal Palace, and that she would have to stay in her bodyguard's sight at all times. The emphasis on 'she' had made her eyes roll almost to the back of her head, as if she was in need of being babysat. But it was better to nod her head politely and agree; Keenan had never treated her like a child that needed to be looked after, and she doubted that he would start now.

"You knew King Adenji?" Asked one of the guards as the group passed the former King's grave, noticing Stella admiring the flowers that surrounded the grave.

"I met him a few times on occasion," the princess replied, "usually for Council activities. But he did congratulate me upon being Marked. I remember him being a kind man, understanding, very admirable."

"That he was," said the guard, nodding in agreement. "He was loved in our world as well as that of the Normals. Powerful, wise, humble too, and he had a sharp sense of dress." He chuckled, the sound reverberating through the empty hall. "Sure it's where Nonso also gets his taste in fashion. Both of them good men."

The group passed more rooms and halls, walls covered in luxurious wallpapers and mosaics, the continuously alternating colorful patterns and designs somehow working together despite their differences. The palace was just like the African robes, exuding wealth and status, and truthfully it was one of the palaces that Stella enjoyed more than others. Her family's own Italian villa was also rich with its nation's culture, and it was one of the things she loved about visiting the other royal families around the world. Not that something like the Ellison Estate was boring, but while it was nice and impressive to look at, there was no magic behind it.

But finally they reached the throne room, the doors opening to reveal Nonso standing around a table to the side with what Stella assumed to be his advisers, speaking rapidly in African language that she didn't recognize. Understandable, since hundreds of languages were spoken in Nigeria. But the Nigerian Prince and his company turned at the sight of the visitors, a wide smile forming on his face. He looked much more alive and in a better mood than when she had last seen him a couple weeks ago. And while Stella and Keenan weren't obligated to bow like the rest of those in the room, she bowed slightly at the waist in respect.

"Welcome to Nigeria, Princess Ellastaria! You are the the princess of our people, you should not be bowing to me," Nonso said warmly, clasping one her hands in his own before releasing to greet Keenan. He was obviously well-acquainted with her bodyguard as much of the Council was, and though Keenan himself wasn't of royal blood, it would have been an easy mistake to guess that he was based on how he was treated by Nonso, Benedict, and even Stella's own father.

"Even still, you've graciously accepted us into your beautiful home. It's only right that I pay my respects to you and your House," Stella said politely, very aware that she was playing the game of niceties that often came up in royal social interactions. And Nonso's reaction only confirmed it; he seemed to be extremely pleased with this answer. "I hope I haven't paused anything important, and if I have, please accept my apologies," Stella continued, though Nonso shook his head.

"Not at all! I was only overlooking some expansion plans. Now tell me, to what do I owe this pleasure? Of course, if some privacy is needed...?" Stella flashed her gaze briefly to Keenan and then nodded, resulting in Nonso sending everyone out and inviting them to sit around the table.

"I know this is a sore subject, and I don't mean to disrespect you and your House in any way," Stella began, "but I'd like to talk to you about Ric's trial. Namely, a way to get proof. The truth. The real truth."

"This again, Princess?" Nonso folded his hands together and sighed, closing his eyes for a moment. While his tone was calm, agitation was written plainly on his face. "I believe I did refuse that method the last time we talked about this."

Stella bit her lip, not wanting to fight, but she did want to push it as far as she could. "I know you don't trust him, which is perfectly understandable. I ask you though, can you not trust me? I know how difficult it is to accept a mystery, to be in the dark. You aren't alone in wanting to find out who murdered your father. We all want justice. But condemning a man to death without a chance to prove himself innocent isn't justice. Please, if you can't believe Ric, believe me."

Needless to say, this was going to be an uphill battle; what Stella was asking was insane, even though her intentions were the best anyone could be in a situation like this. And while he said nothing, the thought of her actually being able to persuade him made him realize that he needed to get his hands on that vial of Veritas. Based on his intel, it was the last one that was made; any more would only be completed after Ric had gone through trial.

It was this moment that was the most critical. One false step and it was back to the drawing board. Which meant having to play along and PRETEND he agreed with Stella. Much like he had done on many occasions throughout his short tenure as her guard.

Even still, the princess was doing remarkably well at presenting her points, even going so far as to try and play on her relationship with him to curry his favor. A slight smile crossed his face, a feat noticed by Nonso himself; naturally, the Prince didn't say anything. But something felt...off...about this man. He hadn't noticed it before, but now that he was here in full view: He could sense something malevolent within, a less than pure motive for his helping this young woman.

"I would love to believe you, Princess, but what you are asking is not a guarantee." He started to explain, adding "Did you know that that man survived a lethal dose of poison that had the power to kill thousands, if not tens of thousands? Did you know he completely broke the Mind Flayers on his own? The fact is, we don't know how powerful he really is. And added to the fact that even in the sublevels of our second-most secure facility, he could still perform magic, it is clear that things we know work on other mages might not work on him."

At this, Keenan stepped in, "That's fine and good, but you do remember how the Veritas potion works, right? It's not active, it's a passive influence. It subverts the neural networks and compels the affected individual to answer any question, like they're reading it off a piece of paper. Wolfswift could break those other things because they had known mechanisms of action. This potion is very unlikely to fail, as it will quite literally re-wire his entire brain for the time he's affected to make it all happen." At this Stella's bodyguard paused, as if trying to consider his next words. He then continued, "And as powerful his guards might be...The number of connections in the brain would be too large for him to effectively track. And besides, what would he have to lose by drinking it? If he does drink it and he did do it...Then you'll know for sure, right?"

Nonso now seemed conflicted; not just because of the new conundrum but because now the feeling of unease was more prevalent. Like it was a danger signal to a Hercules beetle. And it was this that made him say his next words.

"Your parents seem to have chosen well, Ellastaria. His words hold power, and if what I've heard is true, he's quite the proficient mage." he then complimented, a flash of a sneer crossing Keenan's face. "You're too kind, Prince Chidume." And there it was: That ever so slight hint of condescension. This man knows something, Nonso thought to himself; still, he did not fully understand the situation. But for now, he was assuming this man was not everything he claimed to be. And the only reason he would tag along if that were the case was to get the Veritas serum.

His mind raced with a train of thought that seemed to stem from nothing; if this involved Ricendithas, then perhaps he was wrong about the warlock. No, he couldn't have been; but then why would Stella lie? She knew very well that covering for a Dreg was not only social suicide, but it carried a hefty penalty upon discovery. And though she wasn't the selfish type, she wasn't one to throw it all away for a man that clearly gave her grief more times than this man. He would have to cover up the existence of more.

And all of this thinking occurred in such a short amount of time that Nonso replied appropriately, "Nonsense; skill and daring like that are traits to be recognized. And...I've decided that perhaps it would be best for me to give him a chance. I know very well in hindsight my father would have. He was that type of man, and I would dishonor him by not following in his footsteps. Please excuse me..."

And with that, Nonso disappeared into a side room; the faint 'click' of a door being opened indicated the opening of a safe, the second click telling of its close. And he soon reappeared, carrying an ebony box that was well-polished but did not possess any distinctive markings. "Aperio" the Prince muttered, the lid opening to reveal a pitch-black glass bottle about the size of a pocket watch, its lid sealed in red wax.

"Be careful of the glass; it is very fragile." Nonso warned to which Keenan asked, "Why not use metal?" Nonso sighed, "I am surprised you do not know that, considering you know how it works. Metal will contaminate the potion, reducing its effectiveness significantly. It is sealed with wax because it will react with water in the air and sunlight will degrade it, hence the dark color; haven't you ever wondered why only those authorized to make it are in arid regions?" At this Keenan gently reached for it, taking great care not to drop it.

"Thank you, Nonso...We promise not to have it go to waste. And....Your father would be proud of you, even if it Ricendithas we're talking about here." Keenan then said, a smile crossing his face again. Again, that feeling of unease washed over the Prince. There was something not right about this man, not right at all. "Just please...Work with the authorities. Only authorized personnel are allowed to administer the Veritas potion, part of protocol as you know. My guards will show you out." At this, the troop that escorted them in reappeared, motioning for the pair to come with them.

"Melech, if you could please stay, there is something I need to discuss with about the expansion in the eastern wing" he then said, the leftmost guard giving a nod and coming forward to his Prince's desk. "Thank you again, Nonso...I promise this will work out excellently." And like that, they were off, the Prince and his guard.

"What is it you need, my Lord?" asked the guard; the message hadn't fooled him. That was code for something was wrong, and he knew to play along. "Melech...I'm afraid I must ask you to look after the Princess from the shadows...Please understand, I do not wish to put you in harm's way." But at this his guard stopped him, "I would face down Ogbunabali if that is what you asked of me." Nonso just nodded, a solemn look on his face as he then added, "Please tell me if anything happens; I have a very bad feeling about her bodyguard. There is more to him than he is letting on."

Colorado Springs, CO / Charlotte, NC
Early December

"That was... easier than I thought it would be," Stella commented once they were safely back in Colorado. She didn't dare say that around those belonging to House Chidume, and kept her thoughts private until the she could see her own home in front of her. "I guess I just wasn't really expecting him to give it up so easily, especially since he was so set on refusing the potion to me the last time we had talked... Maybe he had more time to think and reflect on it since then." The pair made their way inside, the princess immediately starting up the fireplace to warm up the house.

"I was ready to fight a little bit. But clearly I didn't have to, considering you did half the work for me." She looked up at Keenan, giving him a playful grin and and a gentle push as they walked to the kitchen. "But really, thank you. You'd done so much for me already that you didn't have to help with convincing Nonso to give me the Veritas potion. I don't know how I can possibly thank you. But I guess I can start by sharing some of these...?" She picked up a red gift bag and shuffled through the crumpled tissue before removing it altogether, finding several chocolates, candies, a plush bald eagle, and a card. Ripping the envelope open, she read aloud:

Hey Light Bulb,

People say I get into trouble, but obviously not considering the type of shit you get yourself into.
Do us a favor and try not to die, not because you're my friend, but because we kind of need you to live.
Anyway, here's some chocolates and stuff because I know you eat them all the time no matter how much you try to deny it.

Glad you're okay, though.
-Adrian

P.S: I know you like phoenixes, but they don't sell that in stores so I got you an eagle instead. Just think of how free you are whenever you look at it.

"Wow, what a nice, sincere get-well message. I'm so touched," Stella said, though the light sarcasm was paired with a wide smile and plenty of giggling. Adrian could sure get on her last nerve, but he knew how to cheer people up and (for the most part) be a friend. Of course, when he wasn't being such an ass. But she tucked the card away and then took the bag and a few others to the couch, taking a seat before handing some of the chocolates to Keenan. "For your sweet tooth," she teased, before turning on some ridiculous movie. 21 Jumpstreet. "Amazing, the things the Normals find entertaining," she said then, wrinkling her nose at the movie but nestling up to him all the same.

It was the early morning in Charlotte, North Carolina. Downtown was alive with the morning rush, with horn honking and the hum of engines and the buzz of people walking and talking on their way to work. The sound of cell phones were constantly going off, identical ringtones from those who carried iPhones, and along with the mildly annoying voiced, "Hello?" that accompnied every answered call. But among the normal rush was Stella and her bodyguard, walking leisurely as if they had all the time in the world. And they did have that time, at least until Ric's trial, which was still a week away. But since they already had the Veritas potion, something that Stella was positive was going to work, she had all the time to relax.

But still, she decided it was best to leave the delicate vial somewhere that ensured its safety until she needed it. It didn't take much to come to that conclusion, considering she had almost dropped the damn thing while transferring it to a small box for safe keeping. Luckily she had done it over her bed, the little glass bottle bouncing and rolling safely into a pillow. Yes, she thought, it was probably for the better to leave it in a secure place for safekeeping. And it was for this reason that the princess and her guard were in Charlotte, currently heading toward the Bank of America Corporate Center.

"Did you know that Bank of America was actually started by an Italian guy?" She asked Keenan after she took a sip from a Starbucks cup, leaving behind a peachy-pink lip gloss stain on the the rim. "He started it as Bank of Italy in San Fransisco for immigrant Italian-American families. Then there was the earthquake and fire, his bank survived, and I guess it's Bank of America now. At least, according to the history of the Normals."

That much was true; Amadeo Giannini certainly was credited for opening banks for middle class citizens as opposed to the wealthy elite, but it was much lesser known that his secondary business was for servicing the small magical population of the time. And while that business was small back in 1904, it only grew with the Bank of America name, the underground magical operations never severing ties with its Italian background. As such, the descendants of Giannini (who still oversaw magical operations at the headquarters) became friends of the Durante family, which proved to be useful during times like these. It was thought that the magical royal families likely had influence in places all around the world, and this was just one example.

"As far our history with the Bank... Well, I guess no one really knows what goes on in the sublevels, or that there are even sublevels, now do they?" Stella glanced at Keenan, giving him a sly smile before taking another sip of the hot coffee and crossing the street.

Keenan just snickered as Stella delved into the history of the Bank of America bank chain, from its founder to how its name changed. Of course he wouldn't expect Normals to understand the intricacies of how the banks operated with concern to mage-kind. Nor would he expect them to know that the banks around the country had sublevels for local transactions between mages? There was a reason each branch had all those separate closed-off rooms; maintaining secrecy in that regard was of the utmost importance.

"No, I suppose not... But then I guess that's one way of making a bank trip interesting, isn't it?" Keenan trailed off; just then, his danger senses came alive and without thinking he wrapped his arms around Stella and the box as he yanked her back, a car having run a red light and nearly slamming into the two of them, its horn blaring. "Fucking wackjob!" he shouted, his breathing a little heavier. "Man, we just can't catch a break, can we?" he then tried to joke, not expecting the reply he would hear.

"No, I would certainly say not, Mr. Melchior...."

At this Keenan froze, the voice all too familiar; but that wasn't the only thing. Everything around them seemed to slow, except for them, before it all came to a halt. It was like a freeze-frame from a movie: Airborne birds stopped in their flight. People were in walking stances without moving forward and cars were even pulling into the middle of the intersection, their lights having turned green just moments before. "Temporal Displacement? The hell is going on?" Keenan then asked, going along with one of the plans his boss had set ahead. Of course...He would have to time this right, otherwise it was kaput. And so far he was playing it well.

"You know your rituals, Mr. Melchior...I'm impressed. A gift from my Queen." said the voice again; looking behind him, the bodyguard could see no one. "In front of you." then said the voice, Keenan's gaze to back to his front to see an old face. "Gan Ceanach...." he murmured, stepping in front of Stella and saying, "Close your eyes and don't make contact." The fae before him just smiled, wagging his finger before stating "You assume I'm here for her...Incorrectly, I might add. You see, Titania's not pleased with what happened to Edna. Never mind her face is something a mother could only tolerate by putting a paper bag over it...She *is* one of Her children."

Keenan let out a snort, "Nothing personal; but it IS my duty to protect to her. Your friend was just not willing to back down, and neither were you as I recall." The Gan Ceanach just chuckled, "No, I suppose not. Guess we're both just a couple of toy soldiers, eh? But I DO have my orders as well." And as soon as he spoke, Stella would feel the box carrying the vial be ripped from her hands and starting whizzing towards the fairy. But Keenan had other plans; in a flash, that coin he showed Stella in the past was out, an iron bolt shooting out of it as he rushed their assailant. "The one day I forget my sugar..." he muttered, adding to the play he was using.

The Gan Ceanach dodged the projectile easily enough, though he then soon felt the bodyguard punch him in the gut, making him double over before catching an elbow in the face and falling backwards still upright, but a noticeable bruise now coring his left eye. The bodyguard then caught the box just as he fell towards him, fumbling for a few seconds before getting a steady grip. The fae then gingerly touched where he was hit, feeling the bruising worsen and looking at Keenan's knuckles and elbow: Both covered in plates of iron.

"Did you forget about how much steel is used in these cities? There's enough here to reduce you to ash. Now I suggest you leave before you get hurt." The Gan Ceanach just growled, clearly angry about what happened to his face, starting off low but then bellowing "Do you know...How long it takes to achieve this level of PERFECTION?! YOU UGLY MUTT!" And thrusting a hand forward, Keenan was thrown back, the concrete wall behind him cracking in a weblike fashion as then fell to a knee.

"Stella, take the box to the Bank; the guards have protection wards against just about anything there. Including fairies." he then muttered as he stood up, a green aura covering him as his Earth magicka kicked in, the ground trembling a little and giving Stella a small show of power. "I'll handle this guy..." he then said confidently; the fae before just laughed, "Sugar won't save you this time, just so you know." And just like that, Keenan's pockets erupted in flame causing him to yelp and starting to try and bat the fires before finally dousing them with a water spell; better wet pants than a burned ass, at the very least. He then launchhed a counterspell, saturating the air with moisture to make combustion impossible. The conflict then evolved into something much more ruthless, the two casting spells and counterspells while occasionally deadlocking and dealing blows to each other.

Little did either of them know about the waiting danger beyond where the Gan Ceanach was, and how much of a damper it was going to put on their plans.

Charlotte, NC
Early December

"But..." Stella bit her bottom lip in hesitation, hugging the box close to her chest. It didn't feel right leaving Keenan behind; it didn't feel right to go on without him since he had always been there to protect her. But was he not protecting her right now by keeping the fairy occupied? It dawned on her how much she came to rely on him even in the short term that he was her bodyguard, and that thought was somehow off-putting. Not because of him, but she had always considered herself independent to live on her own, to live without a guard, which was why she had moved away from the family villa to begin with. She was a skilled mage in her own right, and in full daylight she would be able to protect herself. There was really nothing to be afraid of, was there?

With a last glance back at her bodyguard, she finally tore her eyes away from the pair locked in combat and continued her way down the street, the loud banging and smashing against concrete echoing behind her. It seemed louder than it normally would have been, but maybe that was because the world had ceased to move. She weaved in and out of crowds of people, taking care not to disturb their bodies frozen mid-step. It would have been awkward to be the cause of something like that, but a smile cracked her face anyway at the thought. The bank was only two blocks down, a distance that she could surely make with ease. The only hindrance was the dress she had on, but at least she was comfortable in her Sperry's; wearing sandals or heels would have been rather uncomfortable given the current situation, but then again, who really expected to be followed by some crazed sex fairy?

All of a sudden, the princess heard giggling to her right, but when she looked, the giggling moved to her left. She turned only to be met with emptiness, and then a voice seemed to come up to her ear from behind. "Boo!" it said, and she whirled around to find... nothing.

"For a princess, you're not very smart, you know." The giggling started again, and Stella spun to face forward, seeing a small group of fairies ahead of her. They were all different in appearance, although the one thing they did have in common was the silly grins on their faces and the dark clothing. Two of them, females, were exceptionally beautiful, though Stella couldn't tell if this was their true appearance or their glamour. She knew fairies were excellent at creating masks to conceal themselves from humans, but perhaps fairies also wanted to hide themselves from even the magical humans? Either way, the group of fae had looks of mischief clearly written in their expressions, and the princess took a small step back.

"Let me guess, friends of the Gan Ceanach?" Stella asked seemingly innocently, clutching the potion box closer to her. "Well, you heard him: he didn't come for me this time, so your best bet is to find him that way." She pointed behind her, back towards the rumbling and shouing, then cautiously began to move around the group.

"No no no, not so fast," one of the fairies said. He was a short male, scruffy black hair and peircing ice blue eyes. "The Gan Ceanach may be here for your friend, but we're here for you. Of course, we can make this go the easy way or the hard way, but I have a feeling you're gonna choose the hard way."

"Let's play a game," said one of the females, her tinkly voice belying her sharp, aggressive facial features. "You give us any one thing we want, and we'll let you go unharmed. Let's see... I want... that box." The fairy pointed to the white wooden box in the princess's hands, giggling once more. "Sharing is caring, Princess Durante."

A seed of fear planted itself in Stella's mind. She knew that even if she was capable of escaping one of the six fairies, there would be no escaping them all. She shrugged nonchalantly, opening the box and removing the potion before tossing it to the fairy woman. "Your box, just like you wanted. I know, it's beautiful and I have good taste."

"You think you're smart, don't you?" The woman narrowed her eyes, dropping the box on the pavememt without so much a glance, the wood cracking as it hit the concrete. "Well you can't outsmart fairies, that's for sure. Now let's all have some fun, shall we?" Then she raised a palm, a burst of fae magic hitting the ground near Stella's feet, missing her by mere inches. But the princess knew it was intentional, as if she were being toyed with. And this made her mad; she wasn't some weakling to be messed with.

"Aduro!" Stella intoned, her Mark glowing silver with power, her violet eyes glinting gold with quiet rage. Light seemed to explode forward of her outstretched hand, hitting the fairy woman and leaving a nasty looking burn on her shoulder. Stella might not have been well versed in Earth magicka, but she was extremely skilled in her own, and that was all she needed.

The fae woman snarled, her beautiful features twisted in a look of disgust. She threw her head back and let out a maniacal laugh, saying, "You're in the big leagues now, girlie. If you want to play hard, we can play hard. But I suggest you run." And then at once, the five other fairies echoed her laugh, disappearing for a moment before appearing in a different places around the street, throwing projectiles of dark magic at the princess.

"Tegere et abscondere!" Stella's voice rang out clear before a sphere of light encircled her, the energy seeming to absorb the attacks rather than deflect them away. And when the barrier faded, empty space was left behind, all traces of her gone. The fae narrowed their eyes, watching for her to reappear. All seemed still until one of them perked up, realizing that the light tapping sound against the concrete was actually Stella. The princess cursed under her breath; while she had successfully altered the light rays around her to conceal her presence, she hadn't thought to conceal the sound of her footsteps. Damn!

"Come out, come out, Princess. We just want to play!" Said one of the fairies, the group of them following closely behind. "Where could you be? How about... Here!" A vine snaked out of the ground, quickly wrapping itself around Stella's ankle and making her illusion falter for just a moment before a beam of light came down and cut the thick, ropey plant, and she disappeared once more.

The Bank was only a block away, and Stella could see the sign from where she was. It would only be a short moment before she reached safety, but that moment seemed to drag on as she ran, aware that the fairies were never far behind. A nagging feeling ate at her mind, though, as she dodged and countered their attacks. They said they were after her, but they never truly tried to kill her, even though she was positive they could. They wanted the box... The potion, but what for? It was insignificant to them, or it should have been.

But these thoughts quickly faded from her mind as she neared the last crosswalk, already seeing the pathway to take in between all the frozen individuals. There was clear passage just to the left of the crowd, and she tightened her grip around the glass vial as her body broke into a sprint. She was going to do this, determined to make it.

And then the unthinkable happened: the world around her began to unfreeze, the crowd beginning to move again just as she reached the street. She gasped as a large, tall man took a step forward, now directly in front of her, and reflexively she opened both palms in preparation for the crash against him. Then her body slammed into his, and she lost her footing, stumbling forward on the pavement. "Hey, what's your fucking deal?" The man called behind her in agitation, but all Stella could pay attention to was the sound of shattering glass, her heart sinking even before she looked down and saw the broken vial. Dark glass was embedded in her hand and also lying around in jagged pieces, the clear liquid of the potion mixing with her blood on the ground. The one vial she needed, the one thing that she had to take care of was now gone, the contents spilled and wasted all because she had been careless.

Stella stood despite the stinging pain on the surface of her hands and knees, not noticing the blood that dripped down her usually flawless skin. Her entire being was still alive with magic, a mixture of confusion, devastation and anger welling up within her. "Game over," a tinkly voice seemed to giggle behind her, but when she turned around, there was no one there. The fae were gone, and she was alone.

Indeed one of the fae that had accompanied the Gan Ceanach had been on overwatch of the rest, his keen red eyes watching the Princess' every moments; it had been he who had cast the Temporal Displacement ritual, a little surprise cooked up just for this occasion. And truth be told, he could keep it up for as long as he wanted to; however, he had a plan to make her think she was in the clear and bump into someone, hopefully making her careless enough to drop it.

And when he did, the result was more than he could have ever hoped: The clumsy Princess bumped into a man who had been carrying a briefcase and looking down at his phone. And then came the delightful tinkles of shattered glass; oh the look of agony on her face was simply divine. His sharp tooth formed a toothy grin as his minuscule form then appeared next to the Gan Ceanach as the world fell back to its normal place, him and the Princess' guard at a standstill. The buildings around them had sustained heavy damage and they knew that this would only cause a panic. "Let's go, boss; you know what will happen if the Council catches us here of all places." the tiny fairy warned, the elder fae just snarling, "You won't get away with this for long" before simply vanishing instantly, the only evidence left a small puff of smoke.

That now done as a crowd was beginning to form at the damage, he ran and tried to look for Stella, only to see a very huffy man walking away from while cursing her under his breath. Someone about being a dumb broad, but Keenan couldn't make it out; though it wasn't long before he took note of the shattered vial. And while his expression was a forlorn one, inside he was sunshine and rainbows. This was perfect; now he had a chance to finally move things forward with the only method of getting the truth destroyed. And he knew Nonso didn't have another one; he'd also kept tabs on everything the Prince and his associates did. That was the last secureable vial of Veritas; any more was either still needing to be stewed for a couple of months or had yet to begin preparing their glassware for production.

Still, he managed to suppress the fit of giggles that nearly overtook him as he approached the Princess, her back turned to him. "Stella..." he then said quietly, going to stand beside her. "You're hurt..." he then said as he gently took her wrist, seeing the cuts on her hand. He didn't bring anything up about the vial; if she wanted to say anything, he had no doubt she would. And while he didn't know anything of lumomancy, he did not some minor spells and such to at least partially repair the damage she sustained. "Try not to move alright? I'll fix this; though be ready for a sting" he then said as he heard the characteristic thunders of the MLA making their entrance to secure the scene. They moved unseen through the crowds in the streets, armored troops swarming the area and crowding the rooftops, unseen to the Normals as they continued about their business.

"Princess Durante! Mr. Melchior! What the hell happened here?" he then heard someone say; Melchior looked up and saw a platoon sergeant - a stout pale-tan man with short black hair and chocolate-brown eyes - and several of his men already forming a perimeter, the former distinguishable by the additional stripe on his left pauldron. "Fae attacked us....Again. Did anything like this happen under Wolfswift? I don't recall them being this active in the Americas." The sergeant cursed, "Man after the shitstorm in Texas, they're here too!? Well anyway, you two best get to the bank; we have a medic on standby who can treat Ellastaria..." he then trailed off as his brown hues traveled to the Princess, seeing her distraught expression and deciding to amend his statement, "Er, if she wants to that is..."

At this Melchior nudged her, "Come on...We should probably get that cleaned up before infection sets in." And as he led her along, the commotions of the Memory Alteration Unit working with the soldiers to secure the area and set up passive barriers that would wipe the minds of those Normals that passed through it, all the while the Damage Reversal Team was using their own brand of magic to fix the number of dents and new potholes in the roads around the B of A headquarters. As if the roads in the United States were under-maintained as it was, he though to himself.

It wasn't before a young woman in white and grey military attire, her cap adorned with the same signature emblem as the soldiers and hiding her short-cropped red hair, was led by some of the other headquarter guards as they approached the Princess. "I still don't understand...How did you find us? And how did you know to bring a medic along?" he then asked, to which the woman replied, "We have others watching over her as well; when our scouts saw that she was hurt, they immediately radioed us in. Plus...The time freeze in the area was far too sophisticated for any normal mage. If i didn't have to treat Mr. Wolfswift for shock burns, I would have guessed that it was somehow his doing." she then replied, steely-blue eyes locking onto Stella's injury. "Thankfully the glass didn't go too deep" the medic replied, her magic applying a numbing effect to the area as she removed the last shards of glass from the delicate flesh.

Charlotte, NC
Early December

"Princess, please keep still," the medic warned, still extracting the small slivers of glass that had found their way underneath Stella's skin, almost unnoticeable save for the odd twang of pain when she moved her hand. "Ms. Durante..." The medic sighed, fingers gripping the princess's hand.

"Sorry, sorry... I can just feel the pressure. It tickles," was all Stella said in response, instinctively jerking her hand away as another shard was pulled out. She was frowning, watching the medic work, though she was aware that most everyone around them had their eyes glued to her injuries. The princess looked down, her annoyance at the situation now spreading to those around her even though they didn't deserve the aggression. Truly, she was more mad at herself, but that anger only seemed to be amplified by things that she would normally only be slightly annoyed with.

"There, everything is done," the medic said, her magic making the cuts heal over, though she wrapped it in a bandage anyway to protect the new growth of skin. "Any further treatment would only be cosmetic, if any scars appear. I'd imagine you'd want to get those taken care of...?" Stella shook her head, and the medic looked at her in surprise. "Oh, well then the numbing effect should wear away in ten minutes or so, and there shouldn't be any pain. Only an itching sensation, but that too should subside in the next day or so. You're well taken care of here, Princess, and you needn't worry about a thing."

The medic smiled, and one of the scouts who had been on the lookout chimed in, saying, "We're always here for you, Princess. And as soon as we saw you hurt, we called one of the best medics in immediately. We're extremely happy that you're alive."

"What?" Stella asked more harshly than she should have, her tone now carrying an obvious tone of annoyance. "I was running. I fell while holding some glass. It's not like I would have died. But I mean, I guess we can act like I survived because of some unnecessary watch team." Her tone could only be described as bitchy, her words effectively leaving the scout speechless as he stare wide-eyes at her. Princess Durante had only ever been nothing but serene and polite in the public eye, and the change in attitude would have been more than a little surprising given her established reputation.

But at the moment, Stella didn't quite care; there were plenty of things to be upset about at the moment, and she felt she was entitled to express so. It was childish, perhaps, but the news of some watch team following her without being told of their existence felt like an invasion of privacy. Regardless of whether it was her parents or the Council that had ordered it, she still felt as if she should have been informed, and the fact hat she wasn't gave her the impression that they thought of her as incompetent to take care of herself. And more than anything, she hated being treated like a child. She even had Keenan with her, who had proved to be quite a skilled and capable protector. Wasn't that enough? Or did they plan to suffocate her until she couldn't even go out of her own home without an entire entourage of bodyguards? Could a girl not get any privacy or what?

A gentle hand came to rest on her shoulder and squeezed, and she recognized Keenan's touch without having to turn around. He was always like that, gentle and patient and understanding, even when he was silently telling her to bring it down a notch. Fine, she would, but it didn't mean she had to feel any less upset. But she knew how to keep her mouth shut. "Anyway..." She trailed, facing the medic, "Thank you. My hand feels much better, and you did a wonderful job, really." The princess smiled warmly, very aware that the tension in the atmosphere seemed to lessen significantly. And then changing the subject, Stella asked, "Why were you treating shock burns on Ric? I thought he was still in Periculosis, waiting for his trial."

A soldier in the back of the room snickered, his dislike for Ric apparent even in the subdued laugh, though he quieted when the medic shot him a frown. "He is in Periculosis," she began to explain, "and that's where he got the burns. Originally he was placed in a cell with only slightly tighter security than his previous one, a special request from Lord Durante and Lord Ellison. But his behavior earned him a place in one of the lowest sublevels—it's one thing to disturb the guards, but he's caused trouble for the other inmates as well. In addition to the magic suppression, one of the features used to act as a deterrent against the use of magic is a detection spell that activates in the presence of magical energy. It releases shocks that increase in intensity for as long as the user emits their magic. I was called in to treat Mr. Wolfswift's injuries. And despite my advising him against continuing his behavior, I doubt he's stopped. His body has survived impressive amounts of damage, though even he isn't immune to the prolonged abuse. He would have been long dead if he didn't have a trial to attend." She said all of this matter-of-factly, keeping everything professional, but Stella could see the curiosity in the medic's eyes. Why would the Princess want to know about a Dreg that was currently thought to be a murderer?

"Hm. Alright. It's good to know that he's been dealt with accordingly," Stella replied; even though her voice was emotionless, she was more than a little irritated. Here she was, making an honest effort to free him, to clear his name, to sacrifice her own reputation to redeem his... And he was being a giant headache. Not that she expected him to be any different, but she did recall Aneira telling him to trust that there were people on his side. People who believed him, people like Stella who were likely too nice for their own good. She questioned why she had went through all this trouble anyway to acquire a small amount of potion, but it dawned on her that it didn't matter anymore now. The vial of Veritas was gone, her efforts wasted in the span of a few minutes. Maybe it was a sign that she should just leave Ric alone, but the thought made her feel strangely guilty despite her irritation.

The sergeant then popped in, assessing the room before turning to the Princess and her bodyguard. "I'd like to ask you both a few questions about what happened earlier, if you don't mind. Also, Princess Ellastaria, we're requesting a detailed report on the fairies that attacked you, an accurate transcription of all dialogue that occurred, any specific spells you may have used..." His voice disappeared into nothing when Stella looked up at him; he was a tough man, but he faltered all the same under the Princess's hard stare. "Of course, you can send this all in at another time, a more convent time, I'm sure..."

Stella nodded, only saying, "Thank you, I'll be in touch soon. I'm grateful to all of you." She paused then, waiting a moment for continuing. "Please excuse me, I have other business to attend to today." As always, it was her polite way of letting them now she didn't want to stick around, and without another word, she turned and walked out the doors.

Keenan was all smiles on the inside, his expression externally one of genunine concern; now that the only way to get the truth out was taken care of, the next part of his mission was underway. Namely, get Stella alone with him and get her back to the boss, where the final stages could then begin. His hand never left her, not even as the medic explained to Stella about the warlock's situation. Though it would be fairly obvious that Stella was not in the mood to have to listen it, evidenced by the slight tensing of her body; seemed she was feeling a little unappreciated, a sentiment he could relate to all too well.

And a cursory glare at the Sergeant that tried to question her on the spot shot that down almost instantly; Keenan just followed her out without saying another word to them, giving them a nod that said he would likely be the one to give the detailed report. She'd dealt with enough for now; though to be perfectly honest it wasn't like he was going to give her a chance.

Unseen on a rooftop, cloaked even from Keenan's sharp senses of magic detection, Melech - now dressed in a simple outfit of jeans and a white T-shirt to blend in with the crowds - had overwatched the entire ordeal. And the way this man moved, the way he acted told him they were doing to nothing to deliver lethal strikes; it was almost like a performance, a stage fight as the Normals called it. If the Gan Ceanach had wanted him dead, he would have been. He didn't have much other information aside from the whispers he managed to catch between them; and what he heard certainly seemed to confirm his suspicions and perhaps even elevate them to real dangers. If what he had heard was true, he needed to keep a closer eye on this 'Melchior' and report to the Prince as soon as he was able. Leaping down into a nearby alley, he soon joined a group of passing civilians as he made his way from the scene.

Soon enough, the two of them had teleported back home; Keenan had insisted on a detour just to tell her parents about what had happened and let them see she was in fact alright. Needless to say, both Soyeon and Lorencio were extremely grateful for the bodyguard's intervention, the latter even going so far as to hug him for his efforts. A move he had not expected, but returned gently, patting her shoulder as she thanked him endlessly.

Besides....This was the last she was going to see her family again, anyway. Best to make sure she remembers their faces after all; might give her some comfort with what was to come. This came to a head when Soyeon insisted they stay for dinner, herself having cooked enough to feed a small army. It all smelled really good, and this was one of the first times that she would hear Keenan beg her to do this one thing for him. And as the hours passed, it seemed like this was quite an enjoyable family evening, Keenan going on about his past as a minuteskeeper before being assigned to the Royal Guard. Most of which was true, save for some small but crucial details, of course.

That was the extent of the dinner of course; nothing much else happened, aside from the two of them now carrying Tupperware containers full of bulgogi and rice, along with some other containers of kim chi and Korean dumplings. "Oh wow; not to mock you Stella, but I'm honestly surprised you're not heavier than you are now. She'd fatten me up real quick if I had stuff like that to look forward to." he then joked, unlocking the door for the two of them and leading them inside. He would need to do this soon; though he couldn't do it here. Seemed Ric had been QUITE thorough in establishing barriers around this house; and since his energy was not keyed, he could not actually teleport into it unless Stella initiated.

Naturally, he assumed she would want to turn in; that was fine by him. He needed to lay low for a few days anyway until the heat died down and people decided that she was perfectly safe with him. Thankfully patience was one of his redeeming qualities; much like the 'crocodile bosses' of the African deserts, he was an unapologetic opportunist. "What say we turn in, huh? It's been a long day and I say we can both use the rest. Sound like a plan?" he then suggested as he put Soyeon's offerings in the refrigerator.

Colorado Springs, CO
Early December

"Why do you think I moved out?" Stella joked back in return, shooting her bodyguard a sideways glance and grinning at him. "But no, it really is good, isn't it? I do miss home sometimes, and if you ever want the food again... well, it's not like I left knowing absolutely nothing. Princesses can cook too!" She laughed and hopped up on the kitchen island, handing him the last of the containers. At least the bad day ended up somewhat okay, and she couldn't help but wonder if Keenan had taken her to her parents' place to distract her from the morning's events. She wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that was the case; he was so attentive and caring. She could see why her mother approved of him so much. And Soyeon herself had made that abundantly clear at dinner, complimenting the warlock and giving her daughter some not-so-subtle looks over dessert.

"Keenan..." the princess then continued, ignoring his suggestion that it was time for bed. Her expression changed almost immediately, the grin being replaced with a crestfallen look. "Listen, I'm sorry how things went over today. Not that anyone could have seen what was coming, but still. You went through the trouble of going to Nigeria and helping me, and I feel like I wasted that because of what I did." She looked down, a more distraught look on her face; it was obvious now how much it bothered her. But then she seemed to shake it off, a smile appearing on her face that didn't quite touch her eyes. "Maybe fate is telling me that I shouldn't bother. But I do want to thank you, for the support at least. I really appreciate it. Now only if you knew where we could get another vial..."

Stella laughed emptily, knowing it was impossible to get another bottle of the Veritas potion. Nonso had the biggest collection out of the entire Council, and if he didn't have it, she doubted anyone else would. She didn't doubt that there was some Dreg out there selling it on a black market, but that, of course, required connections that she didn't have. It seemed she was shit out of luck. "But it happened, and there's nothing we can do about it now. No sense crying over spilled milk, right?" Then she relaxed and smiled at her bodyguard, saying, "And I was thinking tonight we could watch the first Lord of the Rings movie? It's the best one for sure, and I know you're not that old to be turning in this early." Her smile transformed into a grin at the harmless joke, and she jumped down from the counter, already making her way to the living room. She knew he would follow along; Keenan never never said no, and he wasn't about to start now, would he?

* * * A Few Days Later * * *

Not for the first time, Stella seemed to be in the center of Society gossip, her life publicized and placed on the front pages of every media outlet and news source of the magical world. And while the Council desperately tried to keep everything under wraps, the headlines following the incident made it clear that most everyone knew the general details of what transpired:

"Princess Durante's Second Scare!"

"Unknown Killer Targets Royal Blood."

Another flood of sentimental nonsense invaded Stella's home, although this time there was a significant amount set aside for Keenan himself. A picture of the two of them slipped out, taken by some reporter while she went to her favorite coffee shop, his hand at her back as they exited the cafe. And the picture, along with the word that had spread of the bodyguard's service for the Princess, had earned Keenan quite the female following even among the elite of Society. And while they were made to be delivered to Stella, cards, chocolates and even a large fruit arrangement were addressed to the bodyguard, all accompanied by little 'get well' and 'thank you' notes.

"Wow, I don't think they could've tried any harder," Stella joked, laughing as she plucked a strawberry off the top of the fruit bouquet. Things had calmed down for the most part, and though there was the worry that she would be attacked for a third time, she insisted that she and Keenan would relax for the time being. After all, there was no place to go other than Ric's trial, and it was set to be held at the end of the week.

"I think you have enough sweets to last you half a lifetime," she said to her bodyguard, looking over at him when he didn't laugh like he normally did. Instead, he appeared to be deep in thought. "Hey... Is everything okay?"

The next few days definitely showed that people cared about her well-being; every gift was certainly thoughtful, even it was a bit much. Not to mention the sensationalist bull the media outlets. Everything from the local print to the magic-exclusive television channels had reporters in a tizzy, the recent attacks at Texas, Disney World and North Carolina causing quite the coverage storm.

"Oh I'm sure they could have" Keenan muttered distractedly; play time was over, though. He needed to get Stella back to the Boss. Any longer and things could get very well out of hand. However, his current thinking did not go unnoticed by Stella. And her question made him realize that this could be another opportunity. One extremely easy for him to exploit.

His eyes hardened as he looked towards the window, before wordlessly getting up and looking out from beside the frame. Even though she said such final things a few days ago, about the fruitlessness of getting a truth serum to Ric, he had a suspicion she was still holding out hope. "It's still light out. And honestly, I think it's safe to go out for a bit." Keenan knew by this point that at least Stella's home was a safe zone, and had good belief that they were currently leaving them alone. He couldn't wait for another opportunity, he had to go now. Going back towards her, he then smiled, "And come to think of it...I might know someone who has a vial or two of Veritas. He is a Dreg, and he is...well, rather crass, but he is a potions master. So what do you say? Interested?"

And just like that, the two of them were outside, starting to leave the house; but then Keenan decided to up the ante. "You know...Just to be on the safe side, let's take a shortcut through the forest. At least we'll be able to duck and weave if anything comes after us...Not that they likely will, but you never know these days..." Leading them on with her by his side, they were unknowingly overwatched by Melech's unerring gaze. "This man is cautious, calculating. More so than one of his supposed tenure should be. Prince Chidume was correct; this man is not who he claims to be." the tracker thought to himself, moving with leopard-like grace and fluidity to tail the pair.

Keenan, however, decided that their current route was not secluded enough. "Actually, before we go...I think there's a secluded clearing nearby. We'll able to teleport more stealthily if we're not interrupted." Taking a quick look around, he then had him and Stella 'jump' to the area: It was a grassy knoll, completely blocked in by trees. Something noticed by Melech before he could intervene, his heart sinking; he couldn't feel the Princess' magic anywhere. He had lost her, this was not good. A phrase he told himself as his hands came up to clutch his head.

"Much better..." he then sighed, adding as he looked away from her, "Sorry about all this, Princess, just trying to be extra careful since all those attacks. And this particular Dreg is very careful about who he lets in...As such, it's not a simple feat to get there." He then closed his eyes and clasped his hands together, finalizing with an unseen but very much uncharacteristically wicked smile, "But first...Let's make sure you don't resist in the slightest. Terra Magia: Manicis Ferreis!"

And just like that, chains of iron erupted from the ground and ensnared the Princess, her body completely immobilized as she was now completely wrapped in the binds. "That's a good look for you, Princess Durante...And in case you still don't get it: This is a kidnapping, and you're coming with me." Keeping one hand on her but placing two fingers to his temple, he then whispered some incoherent phrases; before long, the two of them vanished into mist. A feat that did not go unnoticed by a certain someone.

"This will not do..." a female voice said, her face enshrouded in darkness, hearing the whispers in her head about what had transpired. "What's happened?" another woman asked, her voice muffled by whatever was covering who she was speaking to. "The Princess has been taken...It would seem this 'Melchior' is not the ally of the Council we were led to believe. A shame too; he was quite the excellent lover." the first female replied, her eyes opening to reveal brilliant violet irises, but the rest of her features largely obscured by the shadows of her dwellings. The second womanly voice sighed, "And what of the other one? The one following them?"

The first woman only shook her head, "I do not know, but I have a feeling he is not with Melchior. Go to him, let him know what happened. Perhaps this one can be of use to better mustering a force for finding the Princess." The second woman just smiled, taking a well-manicured dark-skinned hand off the surface of what appeared to be a large closed-up rose before walking away, the long tendrils of brown-black hair obscuring her features as she replied, "Thank you, dear friend...Hopefully we will be able to make it in time."

Unknown Location
Early December

Stella was still in shock when she and Keenan teleported away, feeling his grip on her tighten when they reached their destination. It was dark, early morning if she had to take a guess, and they were standing on some docks. A small yacht was in front of them, and two men exited the boat, looking around nervously when they saw Keenan.

"Keenan, you're a little bit early," said the first.

The second one nodded along. "We won't be leaving for a while. We were under the impression that you would be here later. At least, that's what Rex told us, He's on a tight schedule and won't be lifting the magical barriers until, uhm, er..."

Two female heads popped out of the cabin doors, and it was obvious the two men were blushing deeply, even in the dim light of the night. Their bodies were only covered in white sheets, and they were giggling to themselves, amused by the fact that their lovers had been caught fucking on the job. They, too, came to the dock and greeted Keenan, both of them giving him flirtatious smiles.

"Lord Melchior, we haven't seen you in ages."

"You've been playing around with the Princess for too long!"

"Too true... why don't you come play with us for a change?"

Then both of them erupted in a fit of giggles, clutching the blankets around their bodies as they walked barefoot down the docks and away from the group. The first man laughed nervously, shrugging and running a hand through his air. "Uh, I know it looks bad, man, but—"

"No," Keenan only replied, waving his hand. "You're right, I did come a little early, but that's alright. I don't care what you two idiots do. All I care about is that you're here to take us to the island at the right time, and as long as that happens, we're fucking peachy. It's not like we're going anywhere, is't that right, Princess Durante?" He chuckled, glancing at his bound prisoner, and the two men chuckled with him, though they stopped when Keenan gave them a glare. "But get your little tramps out of here. Now."

The two men nodded and shifted their gazes down, running after their women. Laughing and shushing noises could be faintly heard before they disappeared, and the atmosphere quieted altogether.

"Where are we?" Stella finally asked, watching as her bodyguard murmured spell after spell, likely covering his tracks. Sneaky bastard. And when Keenan didn't immediately answer, she sighed. "Are you serious right now? Like one hundred percent for real?"

At this, Keenan looked up from his work. "Of course I'm serious, Stella. Why wouldn't I be? What, you think this is all some joke and that I'm going to bring you back to mummy and daddy like I did the last time? Well, I was doing them a favor. I thought it would be nice for them to see their daughter one last time."

"But..." Stella couldn't quite find the words for how she was feeling; confusion and hurt were two dominant emotions, but the largest thing she was feeling was anger. Anger at him for lying, for pretending, for being betraying the trust he had with not only her, but her parents and the Council and Society. And then she was angry with herself, having been so caught up in how perfect and amazing he was that she had let her guard fall so much. "I trusted you," the princess finally hissed, her eyes narrowing at him. "I trusted you, and now you're going to pull this shit?"

The Mark on her wrist started to glow, but Keenan cocked an eyebrow and only gave her an amused smile, saying, "Ah ah ah, Stella. I wouldn't try that if I were you."

"And why not?" Stella shot back, though she immediately felt the magic slipping away, her energy sapped from her by some foreign source. And she fought to hold onto it, but finally relented when she swayed on the spot, only being held up by Keenan's magic.

"That's why," he said, giving her a wide, malicious grin. "These binds are meant to absorb the magical energy very quickly, so I'm glad to see they're working. But still, you can be full of such delightful surprises sometimes, which is why we're here in nearly pitch black darkness. I don't want any funny business, Stella. Now hurry up and learn how to stand still—I have better things to do with my time and energy than keep saving you. I'm done with that shit, yeah?" He chuckled and released his hold on the princess, checking his watch. Only 10 more minutes until they would leave, and the plan would come to fruition.

"Yeah, fuck you, you know that?" Stella said heatedly, struggling against he chains despite knowing she would fail. And to think she even considered going through with her mother's plans, making Keenan a potential marriage partner. The idea of it sickened her now. "You're a huge pain in the ass, even worse than Ric."

"Damn, Melchior. She's got a mouth on her for a Princess," one of the men said now that both were back.

"Yeah, a shame we gotta take her to Rex. I'd like to see that mouth in action in the bed, hahaha." They both snickered, waggling their eyebrows at each other, and Stella rolled her eyes. Typical Dregs. But then one of them made a move toward the yacht, saying in a serious tone, "It's almost time, we better get moving."

The trio soon sailed under the cover of darkness; it was all too easy to get into this port and use a vessel layered with anti-tracking sigils. It would seem that Ricendithas was not the only one well-versed in symbology; then again, the kidnapping of a Royal Family member carried a hefty penalty (but also a hefty payoff if they were able to do it without being captured). Especially so since this particular member of royalty happened to have the Mark. She would be very useful for their intentions, and she would find out that this was no simple kidnapping for ransom.

No, this was a plan to completely change the world's course through time. An event that would forever shape the future of mage-kind. And for that, someone with the Mark was absolutely essential, as was a clear path to the Throne. For only one destined to rule this land could have the power to pull off what they were going to do. What they would accomplish.

And after several hours of smooth sailing, the seas seeming to grant them its favor, they passed through an invisible veil. One specifically crafted to be completely undetectable by any means of cast magic, whether it was to scry or seek. This barrier would be completely impassable to outside views, as well as show absolutely nothing there to Normals should they accidentally pass by. Especially since they would come across a small island that surrounded in lush jungle, with what appeared to be the top of a mansion peeking just over the treeline. "Finally we're here...For a second there, I thought the Australian Navy was going to find us." said one of the two cohorts, the other replying "Listen to that, Princess: Silence. Ain't it grand? No one around for *miles*, no one to save you. No one to even know where you are."

Keenan just snarled, "Save it with the boogeyman stint, Stan. We're here to get this done, and frankly if I have to be around her one more second I'm going to get a headache." This shut the two up almost immediately; yes, Keenan was all too eager to drop this bitch off for Rex and wash his hands of her. This had to be the most trying assignment he'd ever done. But it would be worth it; especially with what HE had riding on this.

And after some more shuffling, they landed on the built-in dock; Stan extended the gangway, allowing them passage off the boat. "Move it, Princess; our Lord's waited too long for you." Stan said harshly, shoving her along through a well-beaten trail. The scenery was quite beautiful: Beech trees lined the trail, providing ample cover for the crested pigeons, and if she were allowed to look she would her the gobble of a brushturkey off in the depths somewhere. "Like the view, Princess?" Keenan asked sarcastically, leading the troupe on until their destination came into view.

"Finally...Can't wait to get a good stiff drink." the first man cheered, to which the other added, "Wonder if our Lord'll let us have some fun with this one as payment, eh?" a gnarled finger stroking her cheek. "Shame we have to turn you over, darlin'; you got a bod that most women would kill for her. Even if ye are a bit on the short end." the first one then added with a cheeky grin, the double doors opening to reveal a splendid entrance hall: The high arches led to a grand master room, plush furniture lined up neatly while the walls were decorated with hand-made paintings of local spots: The Eiffel Tower, the Space Needle, the Berlin Wall memorial and many others. The walls were a shining brown, evidence of how well it was maintained, and the floors were freshly installed high-grade mahogany.

"Never been in here before, really; whoeva lives 'ere got some good taste though. Don't you think so, Danny?" Stan whistled, to which Danny replied "Yeah...Well, that just means..." But once they were inside, Keenan appeared behind them, a sharp jolt of high voltage striking each of their cerebral vertebrae and killing them instantly. Leaving Keenan standing holding two needles coursing with visible electricity before it faded and he returned them to a side pocket on his pants.

"Well done, Lord Melchior...Gerald, if you would be so kind as to take out the trash..." a voice said out of nowhere, a deeper one replying "Right away, sir". And moments later, a lumbering man in a clean-pressed pinstripe suit and having no hair on his head - easily over eight feet tall and possessing a fair bit of a gut - came into view from a nearby hallway as Keenan forced Stella onto the couch, not bothering to remove the restraints. The giant's cold blue eyes started without interest at the two Dreg corpses for but the briefest of moments. "You two scum, always bleeding over Master's floor...." Gerald muttered as he effortlessly hoisted the two men and walked out of the room.

"Keenan, Keenan, don't be so tense mate; you did splendidly! I have your favorite brew in the fridge; by all means, friend: Help yourself, you earned it." the voice then said again, possessing a more distinct Australian accent. And after the former bodyguard nodded and took his leave, footsteps could be heard coming down the staircase from the front, the now-visible speaker stating,

"Princess Durante...A pleasure to make your acquaintance. I've been dying to meet you; let's talk, shall we? But first, let me ask: Did you enjoy your time with Keenan? Quite the skilled man, right? *Very* handy to have around, if I do say so myself."

Unknown Location
Early December

The man was met with silence as Stella stared off to the side, seemingly disinterested in the man. Her violet eyes were flat and dull, but inside she was a raging sea of emotion. Panic, fear, dread, and even the burble of quiet anger brewed within her. If she could, she would have broken the chains and shown him and Keenan why it was a bad idea to mess with a bitch like her. There was a reason the Durantes were one of the three most powerful magical families, and she would have no problem showing them exactly why. The tiny voice in her head told her she was going to die, or even worse, be made into part of some sick magical scheme of theirs, but that same voice told her she wouldn't go down without a fight. And if it meant that her only option was to be unresponsive, she would take it.

"Tsk tsk, Ellastaria, that's not the right way to make friends. And I happen to know you make friends very easily. See, we share a friend, and he's let me know everything I need to know about you. As I said, he's very handy to have around." When Stella still didn't respond, he walked forward some more, raising his hand and forcing the princess to look at him. "A stubborn little thing, aren't you? Well, I can definitely see why Keenan had his frustrations about playing your babysitter."

Despite fighting the physical pull upwards, Stella's head was forcefully moved up, and she found herself looking up at a hooded man. The deep navy robe hung to his knees, the hood covering most of his face. And while his eyes and hair were hidden from view, she could see a short, well-maintained black beard with streaks of grey growing through. And the left side of his face going down all the way down his neck, as well as part of his chest that disappeared beneath his black clothing, was covered in scarred skin permanently left slightly pink. It looked like someone had burned him all but to a crisp, leaving him with the nasty deformity. Distantly, Stella wondered what—or who—could have done that to him. But after a moment, she gave him a steely glare, only saying, "Well I fucking hate Keenan, and you're the next one on my list."

The Australian man chuckled quietly, his calm voice reverberating throughout the room. "Do you hate him, Princess? Because it didn't look like you hated him when you were holding onto his hand through those fuckin' flowers. It didn't look like you hated him when you were getting all cuddly on the couch, huh? I bet you liked it when he played pretend boyfriend, you and those big purple eyes, looking up at him as if he was your savior. 'Keenan, hold me; Keenan, come with me; I fucking love you, Keenan,'" he mocked her in a high pitched voice, giving her a wicked grin.

At this, Stella's mouth set into a hard line, knowing what he said was true. She had fallen for his act, genuinely believed him to care and be supportive. It was like a slap in the face as this man, Rex as the others called him, smeared it all in front of her. And he was thorough, making sure to touch upon how she had begun to consider him as more than just a bodyguard. She trusted too easily; people always told her she was too nice, and for the first time, she was thinking that maybe they were right. "So are we going to trade bullshit all day, or are you going to tell me who you are and why I'm here? I take it we're not gonna throw some shrimp on the barbie and have a grand time. Not a very good host, are you?" Stella sneered sarcastically.

The smile fell off Rex's face, and it was his turn to glare at her. "Don't get testy with me, bitch. See, I'd heard about that smart mouth of yours, but right now you're not in a position to be that snobbish bitch you usually are. See, love, I make the rules here, and you're going to do your very best to follow them, because if not, you're gonna go the same way as Stan and Danny. If you want, I can even have Keenan do it for you. I'm sure he'll be more gentle than me. I like to play with my food before I eat it. Or maybe in your case, I'll just throw it away."

Yes, he could see it in her eyes: The disgust as she looked at him. It reminded him of the stares, of the shame and laughs he'd had to endure because of them. More importantly, because of that self-righteous bastard he was like this. He would have the last laugh here, though....And this snobbish little bitch was the key.

Rex then grabbed her wrist harshly through the chains, pulling it through one of the gaps while making it rub all too harshly against the skin. "However...You are VERY lucky that this is on you. Won't do me much good if you're dead....Yet, anyway." Yes, he had a plan for this. He would make them all pay. And he would show them what it meant to be a real leader. A *true* King, one worthy to be called the most powerful mage in existence. "You see, Princess, this mark isn't just about telling the magical world who's going to be cracking the whip next. It's an extremely potent source of energy...With it, one can do almost anything that they might want."

He then leaned down, being eye level with the Princess once more as he added with a sickening glee, "Think about it: Shattering reality, bending time to one's will. And that's just the start. Oh yes, I have BIG plans for you little lady." At this Keenan had returned, carrying a bottle of Hop Hog IPA. "Ah, good Keenan, you're here. I was just beginning to explain to our guest about how she was going to fit into our little 'project'." Keenan's eyes narrowed, briefly glancing at the Princess before taking another small swig of the beer.

"That so? She need a 'lesson' yet?" Keenan grumbled, a hint of anger crossing his voice as his free hand started to crackle with electricity. Rex just grinned from under his hood, "No...I think she just needs to get settled, though you were certainly not kidding about her mouthiness. Very disrespectful." Keenan's grimace tightened even more, that polite facade falling away even more as he set his bottle down on the nearby nightstand and turned to face her, both hands now having the appearance of veritable lightning storms.

"What else do you expect...from one of the Ten?!" he shouted that last part, violently shoving both hands on her and making a powerful current surge through her; whether she screamed or not mattered little to him, his rage boiling over as he then felt Rex start to yank him away. "IDIOT! DON'T KILL HER YET! WE NEED HER STILL! THE MARK NEEDS A LIVING HOST, SO CALM DOWN DAMNIT!" Rex shouted, finally breaking the two of them apart with Keenan breathing heavily from the flash of anger in his co-conspirator's armlock; before long, the former bodyguard yanked himself free with an incoherent mumble.

"Rest assured, you silver-spoon skank...Once we're done with you, you're mine" Keenan then huffed, grabbing his still half-full beer and storming off; it would definitely seem that whatever she or Society as a whole had done left some irremovable demon lodged in his soul. "Well...Guess maybe he won't be as gentle as I thought. To be fair, I don't know *everything* about him; hell, I don't even know what his real name is. But that's what makes him so good: He's a ghost, able to be anything as anyone."

Giving her a slight pat, he then smiled sweetly, "Now then...How about we start over by mending your wounds?" Just then, the giant named Gerald came back; though this time there was some red on the corners of his lips. "Uhm....Gerald, mate, I think you missed some." Rex then said, touching his own lips to indicate where the mess was. The giant touched his mouth, his tongue cleaning the remnants before standing up straight once more. "Thank you for doing that outside...Everything went well?" Gerald just nodded, "Very smooth, sir. They were delightful, thank you for letting me dispose of them." Rex just grinned, "No trouble at all, friend. Saves me a heap in trash fees, after all." Gerald didn't reply and asked, "Is there anything else you require, sir?" to which Rex stated, "No, that will be all. Go lie down; I'm sure you could use a nap after that."

Gerald then gave a rather loud yawn, his inhalation causing the walls to creak audibly before his heavy footfalls faded down the adjacent hallway. "You didn't hear this from me, but Gerald there's an adolescent giant." Rex then whispered gleefully, apparently very glad to have such a monstrous creature by his side. "And in case you're wondering what happened to those two blokes....Well, you remember Jack and the Beanstalk, right? And what the giant up there said to him?" he then finalized, a sick twisted grin on his face.

Back
Top Bottom