Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Free Fun Downloads!

Ilovegoatse

Supernova
I wanted to make a thread to post about some fun software everyone's found that's absolutely free. I'm not talking about torrents to get software illegally, but free chat programs, or things like that. I'll organize all of them under categories so that the list is easier to navigate. This is just stuff people can use for their computer, or print-out notebooks, or anything under the sun that's free and legal. More categories will be added as suggestions are made.
(Vampy's contributed a fuckton to this list, worship him as though he were a god!)

Antivirus Software:
Avira AntiVir Personal
(Currently used, ranked highest of several free editions by PC World magazine)
Avast! Antivirus
(Last used AntiVirus software, ranked #2 on same list)
AVG 8.5 Free
(Previously used AntiVir software, ranked #3, ironic, hm?)

Firewall Software:
Comodo
(Used ont he laptops in my home only, not really needed as XP SP3 firewall is fine, but it's nice to have)

Malware/Spyware/Adware Removal/Protection Software:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(Very highly praised Malware/Rootkit/etc removal software, one of two that can almost always remove the crafty AntiVirus Pro/AntiVirus Pro 2008/AntiVirus Pro 2009/AntiVirus 360/etc virus)
SUPERAntiSpyware
(Another highly praised, known to get some harmful software others miss, the other known to remove above mentioned virus)
Adware Anniversary Edition
(Badass Adware Removal program)
HiJack This!
(Detects harmfully installed programs, registry entries, etc. Many 'Halp my PC is fuxxored' forums ask for HiJack This! logs to help)

ISO Image Software:
ISO-Burner (allows you to burn .iso files to cd/dvd)
Daemon Tools Lite (allows you to create and play .iso files on virtual CD/DVD drives)

Image Editing (free Photoshop quality):
GIMP
(Awesometastic, somewhat faster than Adobe Photoshop CS3. I have both and it's a very good comparison, just some differences)

Online Image Editing:
Dr. Pic
(Good for quick edits, or just making avatars. I use this constantly)

iPod Format Converter Software:
Jodix
(Lets you convert .avi/.mpeg/.wmv/etc into .mp4 files)
Videora
(Same as above)

IM/Chatting Software:
Trillian Astra
(The messenger program I currently use. It's sleek and I love the style of it. It allows multiple chat clients and screen names. It also has many add-ons such as spell-check and a message splitter. Makes it EXTREMELY useful for messenger roleplays)
Pidgin
(A program that I've heard has gotten good reviews. Allow you to use multiple clients and SNs in one big program)

(Lets you make free PC to PC phone calls with video support. Hawt)
XFire
(Used a lot in gaming, detects some installed games on your computer, lets your friends know what you are playing, great for ingame chatting via IM)
mIRC
(It's just badass. Oh, you want more? It's an IRC client that is very easy to use and versatile. Only annoyance is the initial popup about donating. Dealt with it for years now :3)

Media Players:
foobar2000
(Audio-only player, less resource hogging that WMP, easy consolidation of libraries)
VLC
(Supports a lot of video file extensions)

FTP/telnet/ssh Software:
FileZilla
(GUI interface that lets you connect to some sort of FTP server and download/upload files, handy and easy to use)
PuTTY
(Same as above, no GUI interface)

Miscellaneous Software:
7zip (advanced file zipping utility, supports more extension formats)
DOSBox (lets you emulate DOS games on XP and such)
nLite
(Use to create 'slipstreamed' versions of Windows. You can add and remove components and other software to give you a cleaner install. Basically you can remove the garbage you don't use and have it install with your fave free [And, I think, paid with activation codes] software!)
Secunia PSI
(Scans your PC for software and then checks online for any available updates for everything)
Foxit (free Adobe replacement)
Google Earth
(Freakishly great view of the Earth)
Google SketchUp
(Used in conjunction with Google Earth, I've used them to make a map for Crysis [that I haven't finished] based of a real landmass ^.^)
WinDirStat
(Useful to see where the fuck all your disk space wetn :V)
Sun VirtualBox (allows you to create virtual environments on your PC)
Notepad++ (advanced notepad editing)

***UPDATE 10/06/09***
LINUX, Ubuntu flavor
(Can't believe I forgot this, FREE OPERATING SYSTEM, but read a tutorial, yo)

Firefox Addons:
Adblock Plus
(Trust me on this)
Greasemonkey
(Lets you use scripts for various Firefox needs. Like for AE. Mmm baby)
NoScript
(Automatically blocks scripts from loading. You select what to allow/forbid/ignore)
Tab Mix Plus
(Great tab features and options)
XMarks/Foxmarks
(Uploads and syncs your bookmarks to their online server. You can access your bookmarks from their site even. I have a work and home profile, very nice.)
Yet Another Smooth Scrolling
(Makes Firefox scroll smoothly like Safari does)

I must fully endorse Pidgin. I love it to death as much as goatse loves Astra. I found Astra to be lacking in features such as assigning a multitude of sn's different status'. Pidgin lets you make a status and give fifteen different sn's a different status if you want, right down to the message. However you cannot use any video or cams with pidgin, which sucks, but you can send/receive files. Anything related to video I use YIM and MSN. I refuse to install AIM on any PC.

Here is everything free that I have enjoyed. 75%+ is currently installed on my PC ^.^

Antivirus Software:
Avira AntiVir Personal
(Currently used, ranked highest of several free editions by PC World magazine)
Avast! Antivirus
(Last used AntiVirus software, ranked #2 on same list)
AVG 8.5 Free
(Previously used AntiVir software, ranked #3, ironic, hm?)

Firewall Software:
Comodo
(Used ont he laptops in my home only, not really needed as XP SP3 firewall is fine, but it's nice to have)

Malware/Spyware/Adware Removal/Protection Software:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(Very highly praised Malware/Rootkit/etc removal software, one of two that can almost always remove the crafty AntiVirus Pro/AntiVirus Pro 2008/AntiVirus Pro 2009/AntiVirus 360/etc virus)
SUPERAntiSpyware
(Another highly praised, known to get some harmful software others miss, the other known to remove above mentioned virus)
Adware Anniversary Edition
(Badass Adware Removal program)
HiJack This!
(Detects harmfully installed programs, registry entries, etc. Many 'Halp my PC is fuxxored' forums ask for HiJack This! logs to help)

ISO Image Software:
ISO-Burner (allows you to burn .iso files to cd/dvd)
Daemon Tools Lite (allows you to create and play .iso files on virtual CD/DVD drives)

Image Editing (free Photoshop quality):
GIMP
(Awesometastic, somewhat faster than Adobe Photoshop CS3. I have both and it's a very good comparison, just some differences)

iPod Format Converter Software:
Jodix
(Lets you convert .avi/.mpeg/.wmv/etc into .mp4 files)
Videora
(Same as above)

IM/Chatting Software:
(Lets you make free PC to PC phone calls with video support. Hawt)
XFire
(Used a lot in gaming, detects some installed games on your computer, lets your friends know what you are playing, great for ingame chatting via IM)
mIRC
(It's just badass. Oh, you want more? It's an IRC client that is very easy to use and versatile. Only annoyance is the initial popup about donating. Dealt with it for years now :3)

Media Players:
foobar2000
(Audio-only player, less resource hogging that WMP, easy consolidation of libraries)
VLC
(Supports a lot of video file extensions)

FTP/telnet/ssh Software:
FileZilla
(GUI interface that lets you connect to some sort of FTP server and download/upload files, handy and easy to use)
PuTTY
(Same as above, no GUI interface)

Miscellaneous Software:
7zip (advanced file zipping utility, supports more extension formats)
DOSBox (lets you emulate DOS games on XP and such)
nLite
(Use to create 'slipstreamed' versions of Windows. You can add and remove components and other software to give you a cleaner install. Basically you can remove the garbage you don't use and have it install with your fave free [And, I think, paid with activation codes] software!)
Secunia PSI
(Scans your PC for software and then checks online for any available updates for everything)
Foxit (free Adobe replacement)
Google Earth
(Freakishly great view of the Earth)
Google SketchUp
(Used in conjunction with Google Earth, I've used them to make a map for Crysis [that I haven't finished] based of a real landmass ^.^)
WinDirStat
(Useful to see where the fuck all your disk space wetn :V)
Sun VirtualBox (allows you to create virtual environments on your PC)
Notepad++ (advanced notepad editing)

***UPDATE 10/06/09***
LINUX, Ubuntu flavor
(Can't believe I forgot this, FREE OPERATING SYSTEM, but read a tutorial, yo)

Firefox Addons:
Adblock Plus
(Trust me on this)
Greasemonkey
(Lets you use scripts for various Firefox needs. Like for AE. Mmm baby)
NoScript
(Automatically blocks scripts from loading. You select what to allow/forbid/ignore)
Tab Mix Plus
(Great tab features and options)
XMarks/Foxmarks
(Uploads and syncs your bookmarks to their online server. You can access your bookmarks from their site even. I have a work and home profile, very nice.)
Yet Another Smooth Scrolling
(Makes Firefox scroll smoothly like Safari does)

This is... Somewhat out of place on an RP site, but noble in it's own right, I guess. However, I'm gonna move it to Questions and Suggestions.

Trygon said:
This is... Somewhat out of place on an RP site, but noble in it's own right, I guess. However, I'm gonna move it to Questions and Suggestions.
People RP on computers, computers can have updates. Computers can be improved to be better with downloadable software. I believe it's relevant. Though I'm not really sure how it's a question OR a suggestion towards the site. BUT OKAY TRY TRY.

Ilovegoatse said:
Trygon said:
People RP on computers, computers can have updates. Computers can be improved to be better with downloadable software. I believe it's relevant. Though I'm not really sure how it's a question OR a suggestion towards the site. BUT OKAY TRY TRY.
A suggestion to users, more.

Trygon said:
Ilovegoatse said:
Trygon said:
A suggestion to users, more.
Face!

Here are some free art programs. :3 I don't use them myself, but they are linked almost everywhere in an art forum. Granted, some may only be a ... 'trial' version, per se. Still, pretty useful to have from time to time. I personally use GIMP, so I have no idea how these work. xD

ArtRage
ArtWeaver
IncScape

I'm gonna dump everything I have on my USB drive...and probably some more stuff too! XD

Portable Applications (All below programs can be ran off of a USB Drive, or there is a portable version available of the program)

Radio?Sure!
The “RadioSure” gives you the smoothest radio listening expirience. The main rule is – it should be simple, reliable and should just work. More than 12000 of stations in the package. Supports most of the internet radio formats – mp3, wma, ogg vorbis, aac+ and so on. Quick and reliable search for your favorite radio stations. Smooth switching between stations including crossfade effect. Recording what you are listening to and packaging it into separate song files. Simultanious recording of multiple stations. Automatic checking for software and radio stations updates. Command line parametes for automatization. Runs on Windows XP and Vista 32 and 64 bit. UNICODE support – all domestic stations are perfectly visible and searchable and much much more…

Miranda IM
Miranda IM is a multi-protocol instant messaging client for Windows. Very light on system resources and extremely fast, Miranda IM requires no installation and can be made to fit on a single floppy disk or USB drive. Featuring a powerful plugin-based framework and boasting over 350 plugins, Miranda IM is one of the most flexible and customisable messaging clients on the planet.

InfraRecorder
InfraRecorder is a free CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows. It offers a wide range of powerful features; all through an easy to use application interface and Windows Explorer integration.

IZarc
IZArc is the best freeware archive utility supporting many archive formats like: 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CAB, CDI, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MDF, MBF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO. With a modern easy-to-use interface, IZArc provides support for most compressed and encoded files, as well as access to many powerful features and tools. It allows you to drag and drop files from and to Windows Explorer, create and extract archives directly in Windows Explorer, create multiple archives spanning disks, creating self-extracting archives, repair damaged zip archives, converting from one archive type to another, view and write comments and many more

KeePass
KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish).

OperaTor
OperaTor is a portable software bundle which allows you to browse the web anonymously. It combines the power of the Opera Browser, Tor and Polipo. With OperaTor no data will be stored at the computer you plugged your portable memory into.

Restoration
Restoration is an easy to use and straight forward tool to undelete files that were removed from the recycle bin or directly deleted from within Windows, and we were also able to recover photos from a Flash card that had been formatted. Upon start, you can scan for all files that may be recovered and also limit the results by entering a search term or extension. In addition, it also provides the option to wipe the found files beyond simple recovery.

AngryIPScanner
Angry IP Scanner (or simply ipscan) is an open-source and cross-platform network scanner designed to be fast and simple to use. It scans IP addresses and ports as well as has many other features. It is widely used by network administrators and just curious users around the world, including large and small enterprises, banks, and government agencies. It runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X, possibly supporting other platforms as well.

CleanAfterMe
CleanAfterMe allows you to easily clean files and Registry entries that are automatically created by the Windows operating system during your regular computer work. With CleanAfterMe, you can clean the cookies/history/cache/passwords of Internet Explorer, the 'Recent' folder, the Registry entries that record the last opened files, the temporary folder of Windows, the event logs, the Recycle Bin, and more.

Currports
CurrPorts is network monitoring software that displays the list of all currently opened TCP/IP and UDP ports on your local computer. For each port in the list, information about the process that opened the port is also displayed, including the process name, full path of the process, version information of the process (product name, file description, and so on), the time that the process was created, and the user that created it. In addition, CurrPorts allows you to close unwanted TCP connections, kill the process that opened the ports, and save the TCP/UDP ports information to HTML file , XML file, or to tab-delimited text file.

Disk Digger
DiskDigger can recover files from any type of media that your computer can read. This includes USB flash drives, memory cards (SD, CompactFlash, Memory Stick, etc), and of course your hard drive. The types of files that it recovers include photos, videos, music, documents, and many other formats

Dr. Web CureIt!
Dr.Web CureIt! is an indispensable tool for curing computers running MS Windows 95OSR2/98/Me/NT 4.0/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Windows 7. Dr.Web CureIt! detects and neutralizes viruses, rootkits, Trojan horses, spyware, and other malicious objects that have gone undetected by your anti-virus software. Dr.Web CureIt! does not require installation and is compatible with all known anti-virus software. You do not need to disable your anti-virus software to check your system with Dr.Web CureIt! With Dr.Web CureIt!, you can test the efficiency of your anti-virus software and then decide whether Dr.Web is right for you. Dr.Web CureIt! is updated at least once an hour.

Norman Malware Cleaner
Norman Malware Cleaner is a Norman program utility that may be used to detect and remove specific malicious software (malware). Note that it should not be used as a substitute for running normal proactive antivirus protection, but rather as a reactive tool to handle systems that are already infected.

Freeraser
Freeraser is a digital file shredder that enables you to permanently delete sensitive data with multiple overwrites of random data. It offers a simple overwrite (fast) as well as to DoD 5220.22M (slower) and Gutmann (very slow) compatible deletion methods. The program is very easy to use, it adds a new waste bin icon to your desktop, and any file or folder that you drag onto the bin is permanently deleted and cannot be recovered.

Wireshark
Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer, and is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many industries and educational institutions.

Nonportable Applications

Gamebooster
Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button, Game Booster helps achieve the performance edge previously only available to highly technical enthusiasts. It works by defragmenting game directories, temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance. That means you can keep all the features of Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ and XP® ready for when you need them, but turn them off when you are ready to get down to serious business – gaming. Game Booster makes it simpler to enjoy the latest games and take your experience to a new level. All systems go!

Cain & Able
Cain & Abel is a password recovery tool for Microsoft Operating Systems. It allows easy recovery of various kind of passwords by sniffing the network, cracking encrypted passwords using Dictionary, Brute-Force and Cryptanalysis attacks, recording VoIP conversations, decoding scrambled passwords, recovering wireless network keys, revealing password boxes, uncovering cached passwords and analyzing routing protocols. The program does not exploit any software vulnerabilities or bugs that could not be fixed with little effort. It covers some security aspects/weakness present in protocol's standards, authentication methods and caching mechanisms; its main purpose is the simplified recovery of passwords and credentials from various sources, however it also ships some "non standard" utilities for Microsoft Windows users. DISCLAIMER: I will not be held responsible for anything stupid and/or illegal that you do with this program.

MyDefrag
MyDefrag is a disk defragmenter and optimizer (a maintenance utility to make your harddisk faster) for Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, 2008, Win7, and for X64. It is freeware, no time limit, fully functional, no advertisements. Fast, low overhead, with many optimization strategies, can handle floppies, USB disks, memory sticks, and anything else that looks like a disk to Windows. Included are a set of easy to use scripts for endusers, a scripting engine for demanding users, a screensaver, and a combined Windows plus commandline version that can be scheduled by the Windows task scheduler or for use from administrator scripts.

Zone Alarm
An effective and easy-to-use firewall program, ZoneAlarm does a great job of keeping your PC safe from a variety of threats. ZoneAlarm uses a simple wizard to make configuring a firewall, which seems like a daunting task to many computer users, incredibly easy.

MagicDisk
MagicDisc is freeware. It is very helpful utility designed for creating and managing virtual CD drives and CD/DVD discs. For anyone who deals with CD-based programs – it is a MUST. MagicDisc allows you to use almost all CD/DVD image without burning them onto CD or DVD in order to easily access your favorite games, music, or software programs ---- It works like a real CD/DVD-ROM: You can run programs, play games, or listen to music from your virtual CD-ROM. Allowing you to run your game images at over 200x faster than from a conventional CD/DVD-ROM.

Spybot - Search and Destroy
Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer.

Google Chrome
Google Chrome is a web browser that runs web pages and applications with lightning speed.

Winamp
Winamp is a free multimedia player made by Nullsoft. It supports numerous audio and video formats. It also plays streamed video and audio content, both live and recorded, authored worldwide. It has an extremely customizable media library, and allows you to rip and burn your favorite music CDs. Winamp has thousands of skins and plug-ins that allow you to change the look-and-feel of the player, as well as add new features. The player also has access to thousands of free songs, videos and online radio stations from SHOUTcast Radio and AOL Radio with XM.

Virtual PC 2007
With Microsoft® Virtual PC 2007, you can create and run one or more virtual machines, each with its own operating system, on a single computer. This provides you with the flexibility to use different operating systems on one physical computer. (VMware is much better, but unfortunately not free...)

Ophcrack
Ophcrack is a free Windows password cracker based on rainbow tables. It is a very efficient implementation of rainbow tables done by the inventors of the method. It comes with a Graphical User Interface and runs on multiple platforms. DISCLAIMER: I will not be held accountable for anything dumb or illegal you do with this program

Sumotori
Sumotori Dreams is a small demoscene game created by Peter Sotesz for the Breakpoint 2007 96k game competition (it took first). The premise is simple: two self-balancing physics rigs face off in a sumo ring. The first rig to fall over loses. The implementation is simple but satisfying, and is well supported by solid physics, decent lighting, and good camera work. (Note: This program isn't very 'useful' but it makes me lulz everytime)

If I may?

ESnips
If you need some extra space, here's where you can sign up and get yourself five extra gigs for free just by signing up. You can also get some pretty nifty things too, like the toolbar for your IE or Firefox browser as well as an uploader if you don't want to be arsed with going to main site and putting what you want in there. Enjoy!

I got some stuff to add. :0

Paint Tool SAI
A program similar to Corel Painter (with a better layering setup... *shakes fist at Corel*) and the basic functions of MS Paint, albeit having some really cool features overall and a neat GUI. It's worth messing around with if you're a digital artist at all, especially if you're going for an anime/manga style ink or color. Great pressure detection with tablets, easily customizable brush and texture options, and the notorious ability to rotate the angle of your image for easier outlining!

FileHippo Update Checker
Much like Secunia PSI, FileHippo scans your PC's software for any available updates you may need and gives you an optional list from which to update. I just like the hippo. :I

Necro'd for good reason?

ComboFix

This is an extremely powerful program designed to search and obliterate anything, I mean anything wrong with your computer. before you run it, turn everything off. Google Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, Itunes, Windows Media, etc. you get the idea right? Then double click the icon and all, then go through the disclaimer and all that shit, then DON'T, I repeat DON'T FUCKING TOUCH the computer. Let it run all by itself, and leave it alone for about an hour or so. Afterwards the blue screen scanning and cleaning everything will go away and a Wordpad window will pop up showing everything found in the search and everything removed in the search.

Great program. Free and everything :D unfortunately the update to allow it to run on Vista, and 7 hasn't come out yet. It's good for only XP and XP Professional. =\

Edit: It also recommends turning off your antivirus auto protect and firewall for the time it searches as well. It doesn't say you have to, just recommends it. Seeing as you won't be using the internet running this it shouldn't be a problem. I followed the recommendations and it cleaned my PC really well. :)

Are any of the anti-viruses up at or near the top work on vista and are trials? If they do work for vista and are not trials, then I'll download ASAP!

Ganein said:
Are any of the anti-viruses up at or near the top work on vista and are trials? If they do work for vista and are not trials, then I'll download ASAP!

i've got a full version of Avast on my vista computer, and it's worked fine for me. I'd certainly recommend it.

Update. Combofix has now put out the update, Vista and 7 users can now access the power of that program. Just be careful, and note, I'm not responsible for any damage done to your system via that program because you didn't listen to mine, and the programs warnings before running it. :D Enjoy <3

Back
Top Bottom